PDA

View Full Version : Funny Stuff Arkansas' Darwin award nominee

acesn8s
12-01-2010, 09:14 PM
http://thegraphic.org/P1.gif

RESIDENCE DESTROYED--The 610 East Main Street (Clarksville) residence of Dwayne Herring was destroyed by fire Sunday, Nov. 28. Clarksville Deputy Fire Chief Clark Gray stated the fire department was paged out at 8:52 p.m. and upon arrival, the residence was fully engulfed. The fire originated in the kitchen area when the resident was deep frying a turkey when the blaze occurred, said Gray. Five units responded to the blaze and remained on the scene until 11:30 p.m. The residence and contents were totally destroyed.
--Graphic photo by Ron Wylie

The Darwin nominee bought insurance the week before. Insurance company does not think it is a scam but does think the guy is really THAT dumb. He is 47 and on his own for the first time. And yes, it was a propane deep fryer. :shake:

btlook1
12-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Looks like we know what happened to Skip finally. Notice the fire is on the other side of the house from the satelliate dish.

acesn8s
12-01-2010, 10:29 PM
The propane fryer was still in the kitchen (what was left of it) after the fire had been extinguished.

Tylerthigpen!1!
12-01-2010, 10:30 PM
I don't think that warrants a darwin award. Sure it's dumb it happens a lot.
/not defending Arkansas

FAX
12-01-2010, 10:37 PM
So ... did they save the turkey?

FAX

Chiefs Rool
12-01-2010, 10:39 PM
/not defending Arkansas

no, it def does warrant a darwin award, assuming he died during this.

FAX
12-01-2010, 11:08 PM
I envision this guy spending Thanksgiving sitting in the middle of a giant pile of ashes carving up his somewhat overcooked Turkey.

FAX

Bacon Cheeseburger
12-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Heh, I've set up my turkey fryer in the garage numerous times for my Super Bowl parties.

The Pedestrian
12-02-2010, 12:23 AM
IIRC, Myth Busters tried to deep-fry a turkey once...and then said don't try this at home.

WhitiE
12-02-2010, 05:55 AM
/not defending Arkansas

im thinkin the same

Dave Lane
12-02-2010, 05:59 AM

FAX

It was well done

Frosty
12-02-2010, 06:02 AM
Heh, I've set up my turkey fryer in the garage numerous times for my Super Bowl parties.

It's amazing how many people do this on their porches. :shake:

We also seem to get a fire or two around here every winter when people clean out their wood stoves and put the hot coals and ashes in a metal bucket and set it on their back porch.

Frosty
12-02-2010, 06:03 AM

Yeah, it looks like the guy survived.

ForeverChiefs58
12-02-2010, 06:05 AM
The fact he bought insurance and could be in for some upgrades to his home clears this poor bastard.

Earthling
12-02-2010, 06:08 AM

FAX

Exactly my first thought too !

Amnorix
12-02-2010, 07:28 AM
I don't deep fry anything. Never have never will. So explain to the dummy if you will what's so moronic about deep frying a turkey?

seclark
12-02-2010, 07:31 AM
I don't deep fry anything. Never have never will. So explain to the dummy if you will what's so moronic about deep frying a turkey?

i believe there's several videos on youtube. it's not moronic if you do it right.
sec

Mr. Plow
12-02-2010, 07:33 AM
Deep fried turkey is good. The last time I did it, I took it out on the driveway to do it. Away from the house....away from anything flammable.

Sofa King
12-02-2010, 07:40 AM
hahaha, i was just gonna say Mr. Plow deep fry's turkeys.. lol

Frosty
12-02-2010, 07:51 AM

Too much oil + open flame = big fire

NewChief
12-02-2010, 08:43 AM

It's the same hazard as deep frying other things. The difference, I believe, is in the displacement of oil due to the size of the turkey. Goes like this:

Guy puts too much oil in fryer. Heats oil over open-flamed propane burner. Puts turkey in, not realizing that he's put in too much oil. Hot oil sloshes out of frying pot onto open flame due to displacement of oil by a big freaking turkey. Combustion occurs and the whole pot of hot oil catches flame leading to a big freaking fire.

When you're frying fish or hushpuppies, you're only dropping in a few small pieces at a time, so the displacement is much easier to manage.

Frazod
12-02-2010, 08:47 AM
He used it inside his house? Holy shit. :shake:

Chiefnj2
12-02-2010, 08:48 AM

Also, if the turkey is not completely de-thawed it causes an explosion of oil.

DJ's left nut
12-02-2010, 08:52 AM
This happens all the time.

Most people aren't quite dumb enough to set the fryer up in their kitchen, but you see folks do it in their garage quite often. Hell, I've done it in my garage.

The guy's not necessarily a moron, just not well informed. It almost always comes down to people putting too much oil in there and it sloshes over onto that open element. I'm not going to beat him up too badly, most of us have had cooking mishaps just as stupid just not on such a grand scale.

NewChief
12-02-2010, 08:58 AM

Oh shit. I didn't think about that (I've never deep fried a turkey). It would be like throwing water on a oil-filled saute pan X 100.

Count Zarth
12-02-2010, 09:00 AM
The #1 cause of garage fires in America is turkey frying.

Amnorix
12-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the explanation guys. I can definitely see how the massive displacement of a turkey could be unexpected compared to the other stuff that normally gets deep fried. Ooops!

REally, the dumb move here isn't deep frying a turkey. It's deep frying, ANYTHING, in your kitchen.

Count Zarth
12-02-2010, 09:15 AM
<object height="385" width="480">I have deep fried chicken legs and thighs in a kitchen before. It's perfectly safe.

But a frozen turkey is just a firebomb waiting to go off.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5o9jW4yNdYI?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

Rain Man
12-02-2010, 09:17 AM
This isn't dumb. It looks to me like he merely found a way to efficiently cook all of his side dishes at once.

DJ's left nut
12-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Well no shit.

If you take a small pot, fill it with grease so hot that the grease spontaneously ignites, then drop a frozen turkey into it, it's going to cause problems.

Radio morning shows are so fucking stupid.

Using an actual turkey fryer with a full sized kettle and grease at about 350 is going to be just fine. And it's the best damn turkey you'll ever eat. Ever.

Mr. Mean
12-02-2010, 09:25 AM

"de-thawed" = frozen

acesn8s
12-02-2010, 06:48 PM
/not defending ArkansasDeep frying turkeys with a propane fryer in a kitchen happens a lot? I thought they were intended for outside use.

acesn8s
12-02-2010, 06:51 PM

FAXUnfortunately, the turkey lost its life.

acesn8s
12-02-2010, 06:56 PM
The fact he bought insurance and could be in for some upgrades to his home clears this poor bastard.He didn't own the house; he rented.

acesn8s
12-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Well no shit.

If you take a small pot, fill it with grease so hot that the grease spontaneously ignites, then drop a frozen turkey into it, it's going to cause problems.

Radio morning shows are so ****ing stupid.

Using an actual turkey fryer with a full sized kettle and grease at about 350 is going to be just fine. And it's the best damn turkey you'll ever eat. Ever.Providing that you don't burn the house down.

BWillie
12-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Ah, I wish I could burn my house down and get away w/ it.

Valiant
12-02-2010, 07:41 PM
I guess I am missing something.. We tried deep fried turkey last thanksgiving.. Pretty much just like chicken.. Of course we cut it up and did not cook it whole..

edit. nevermind.. read further down he tried the whole thing..