PDA

View Full Version : Football Trent Dilfer...

Rausch
12-02-2010, 01:46 PM
He had the arm strength, had the smarts, wasn't very ****'n mobile, but what was his one great flaw?

You can say it was his smarts but he breaks down film with rookies, spends time on ESPN and NFLNW breaking down plays, and it's also no secret he does all he can to extend a helping hand to any QB during the draft preparation process. And for the record, he's been asked for his "opinion" on other rookie QB's with a number of franchises.

I'm saying why does CP think he's an afterthought?....

WebGem
12-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Trent Dilfer is God, and everyone knows that.

So what are you talking about?

Wallcrawler
12-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Dilfer was GARBAGE.

If the 2000 Ravens defense wasnt as legendary as it was, that team doesnt sniff the playoffs, let alone the superbowl.

The offenses he led were inept. He had awesome defenses in TB and in Baltimore. Ray Lewis, and Warren Sapp both charged Dilfer and the offense one task. 17 points. Score 17 points and we win the game.

Even in the playoffs, Dilfer almost managed to flush the season away throwing a ridiculous pick 6 against the titans. I dont remember if it was defense or special teams that ended up scoring to take the lead back, and eventually win the game, but a tearful Trent Dilfer in the post game interview knew how close he came to pissing away the season for the entire team.

I think he had one td pass in the SB, which was like a 10 yard in to Stokely that he ended up breaking for a huge td run. Then it was Jamal Lewis and that defense grinding the Giants into oblivion.

Dude rode the coattails of the defense to get his ring, and he should be calling up Ray Lewis and co. thanking them for his sportscasting job he has now. Listening to Dilfer criticize a QB is some damn good comedy.

mikey23545
12-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Dilfer was GARBAGE.

Listening to Dilfer criticize a QB is some damn good comedy.

I'm sure all the QB coaches, offensive coordinators, and head coaches who spend their careers evaluating and teaching quarterbacks yet never even took an NFL snap at the position would agree with you...

Fucking moron.

Kerberos
12-02-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm sure all the QB coaches, offensive coordinators, and head coaches who spend their careers evaluating and teaching quarterbacks yet never even took an NFL snap at the position would agree with you...

****ing moron.

Those "Who Can".................. Do.

Those "Who Can't"................ Coach.

Brock
12-02-2010, 02:48 PM
He knows football. Really has little to do with how he played.

Wallcrawler
12-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Listening to Trent Dilfer badmouth a quarterback about making a bad throw is hilarious. All this "He should know better than that" or "Professional QB's dont make those kind of mistakes".

This mother****er made all those mistakes and then some during his own career, NEVER adjusted and was still that same shitty QB he always was when he got his ring. He simply had a 2k yard rusher behind him, and a record setting defense waiting on the sideline to wipe up his shit.

Its like watching a lardass telling someone they should watch their weight.

I wish someone would jack the feed on one of his critique sessions where he waves his finger in shame at a QB's judgement and spouts off some shit about how that is an inexcusable mistake, and then right on cue pop a highlight of him doing the exact same f'ing thing and causing his team to lose the game.

Dilfer is a joke.

Fruit Ninja
12-02-2010, 02:51 PM
lol Ya, Dilfer is terrible as an analyst. I dont know how the fuck he got that job.

Otter
12-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Somewhere between option 2 and 3...I Gazed you but will fight to the death for your right to post polarized polls here on Chiefsplanet.

DJ's left nut
12-02-2010, 04:42 PM
He was inaccurate - simple as that.

Dilfer wasn't a bad quarterback (Wallcrawler be damned). He just wasn't a very good one. He could hit some nice play action passes downfield when he had a good running game around him. Generally speaking he didn't do anything shockingly stupid to burn you.

At the same time, he wasn't very good at putting the ball where he wanted to.

Take a QB with a pretty decent grasp of the game, a pretty decent arm, a good head on his shoulders and a scattershot arm and what do you have?

Well you have a pretty damn mediocre quarterback.

All told, many have done far worse. If you're in the league for 10 years, make a pro-bowl in there, win a SB and play passable football over most of that time period, you're well ahead of the game and I'd say that qualifies as a 'good' career.

Not a good quarterback, but a good career.

JD10367
12-02-2010, 04:48 PM
He knows football. Really has little to do with how he played.

This. Some of the best coaches in sports weren't very good at the sport themselves. You can have a great mind for it, but not be able to actually carry it out yourself.

Zaiko
12-02-2010, 04:55 PM
He was mediocre. He didn't jack it up for them, but let's be honest.. that was the running game and the defense that won it.

B_Ambuehl
12-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Knowledge is entirely different from instinct. He just didn't have much instinct for the position. Anyone can be taught the former but not everyone can develop the 2nd.

Rain Man
12-02-2010, 05:03 PM
I didn't see enough Dilfer games over the years to figure out anything specific, but it always seemed to me that he didn't have any glaring flaws and he didn't have any brilliant strengths. That pretty much means he's going to be an average quarterback at best.

DJ's left nut
12-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Knowledge is entirely different from instinct. He just didn't have much instinct for the position. Anyone can be taught the former but not everyone can develop the 2nd.

As soon as you said that I thought "Yeah, Jeff Tedford could probably teach an amoeba how to play robotic, programmed football..."

Then I realized that Dilfer was a Tedford guy.

It makes a lot of sense. That kind of programmed play will work in college where the game is slower and the mind can process through it. But in the NFL, where 250 lb men are running in the 4.5s, you really don't have any time to be that calculating and instinct has to take over.

In looking back, Dilfer really did play a very robotic game. He wasn't much for improvising and that Tedford training would've done everything possible to cover for it.

Just thought that was an interesting side note.

MahiMike
12-02-2010, 05:07 PM
I liked him as QB. Better analyst though.

Extra Point
12-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Choice one and free, prease.

Thig Lyfe
12-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Let's bring him in for a look. He could be co-offensive coordinator with Trent Green.

Ebolapox
12-02-2010, 07:58 PM
that's right... wasn't he the first tedford protege to make the nfl?

Gadzooks
12-02-2010, 08:00 PM
lol Ya, Dilfer is terrible as an analyst. I dont know how the **** he got that job.

The Matt Millen hire has puzzled me to no end.

Rain Man
12-02-2010, 09:59 PM
The Matt Millen hire has puzzled me to no end.

Yeah, that's a complete mystery. Why would a network hire a guy who is statistically proven to be one of the worst personnel and football person on the planet, and assume that people want to hear his opinion? You would be better off always assuming that he's wrong than ever assuming that he's right.