PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Phil Jackson not making friends in Houston

WebGem
12-02-2010, 10:47 PM
I thought these comments were sort of unnecessary, but he might be right. Man the NBA was so much better back then...poll to follow.

The king of squinting zings is at it again.

Down in Houston to preside over yet another close loss (four in a row, actually) for his Los Angeles Lakers, coach Phil Jackson offered a less-than-ringing endorsement of former Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich (who was also both Jackson's successor and full-time predecessor in Los Angeles during most of the 2004-05 season) for Springfield's Basketball Hall of Fame.

From the Houston Chronicle's Jonathan Feigen:
Asked if he thought Tomjanovich was deserving, Jackson said, "We'll see. I'm not on that committee. I like all the coaches to get a chance to go in."
Geez. You can't just pretend to be effusive, just for five seconds?
Jackson goes on to toss in some pretty declarative statements on a subject that, take it from me, Houston Rockets fans have been pretty sensitive about for well over a decade:

Jackson agreed with the argument that the Rockets' championships were tainted because Michael Jordan was out of the league for the first of their title seasons and much of the next.

"Definitely," Jackson said. "Without a doubt. Clearly, if the Bulls were whole, we would have won. It's pretty much registered by now. When Michael played, we won the championship."

Without a doubt? Clearly? Definitely? I'm as big a Bulls backer as they come, but I also remember Chicago playing for its lives against the Knicks in the 1992 and 1993 playoffs, and things were pretty hairy there for a while. I'd put my money on the red and black, but I don't know if I'd be so black and white about it, if you catch my colors.

Honesty, frustratingly, compels me to also point out that the Bulls lost twice by a combined 25 points to a Rockets team that very much resembled the 1993-94 and 1994-95 champions, with Jordan, during the 1992-93 season.

Rudy lost the toss
12-02-2010, 11:11 PM
I don't even hate any of his teams, but this guy can drop dead on the court for all I care.

CoMoChief
12-02-2010, 11:11 PM
There's no question the Bulls would have won those 2 years he was gone.

LiveSteam
12-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Phil Jackson not making friends in Houston
LiveSteam not making friends in the Planet

Fruit Ninja
12-02-2010, 11:50 PM
well duh, but thats not the Rockets fault. It is what it is. There is a before Phil and an after Phil.

Sofa King
12-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Yeah, the bulls woulda won both....

Direckshun
12-03-2010, 08:32 AM
People forget how utterly dominant Hakeem Olajuwan was during that two-year stretch.

Molitoth
12-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Phil should just shut his mouth and go down in history as a classy coach... instead he's ruining it for himself and everyone attached.

DJ's left nut
12-03-2010, 09:52 AM
I think the Rockets win 1 of them.

The Bulls had absolutely no answer for Olajuwon. The guy was on an incredible run for those years ad with his size and skill - WTF were the bulls going to do? Sick Wennington on him?

I think the 94-95 squad wins. Olajuwan was at his apex and Drexler was still a good player. Then the guard play with Smith, Maxwell and Cassell learning the ropes would've been excellent.

The frontcourt for Houston with Olajuwan, Thorpe and Drexler would've dominated the Bulls frontcourt. The Backcourt with Maxwell and Smith would've held its own, especially with the depth that team had (Cassell and Horry coming off the bench).

Combine that with the fact that the Bulls would've started to get a bit of a lull in their play (lets face it, the edge doesn't stay that sharp for that lone) and MJ wouldn't have had the 2 year break to rest up his body and I think the 94-95 squad takes the Bulls out in 5.

Demonpenz
12-03-2010, 09:52 AM
I think the nba is better today

beach tribe
12-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Phil Jackson not making friends in Houston
LiveSteam not making friends in the Planet

So you were all alone in the house, flexing in the mirror with your pistol in your hand, wondering should I pull my extremely too tight, Bumb **** Police Dept. Shirt out, and pose with it? Nah, I'll set up the timer on the camera, and take some hard core, bad ass photos. Cause I'm a ****ing badass mother ****er.

LiveSteam
12-03-2010, 01:29 PM
So you were all alone in the house, flexing in the mirror with your pistol in your hand, wondering should I pull my extremely too tight, Bumb **** Police Dept. Shirt out, and pose with it? Nah, I'll set up the timer on the camera, and take some hard core, bad ass photos. Cause I'm a ****ing badass mother ****er.

I see,Miami Crack Cocaine is still the Bomb.

vailpass
12-03-2010, 01:35 PM

LMAO

WebGem
12-03-2010, 01:49 PM

How old are you?

Just wondering. Everyone is entitled to an opinion - there's no right or wrong there. I'm just curious because I've really never heard anyone say the NBA is better now than throughout the 90s.

vailpass
12-03-2010, 01:57 PM
How old are you?

Just wondering. Everyone is entitled to an opinion - there's no right or wrong there. I'm just curious because I've really never heard anyone say the NBA is better now than throughout the 90s.

NBA was at the absolute peak in the 80s and 90s. Not anywhere close now.

Huffman83
12-03-2010, 02:33 PM
There's no question the Bulls would have won those 2 years he was gone.

I'd only say the 94-95 season would have been lost by the Bulls because Horace Grant wasn't around to be the more aggressive PF that team lacked. Toni Kukoc was a good shooting forward...but didn't really act too aggressive to get the rebounds that Grant and later Rodman had.

CoMoChief
12-03-2010, 02:34 PM

No it's not.

When MJ played, there was class in the league.

Now the league is filled with immature thugs.