PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Some random website speculates we're at the top of the Fitz sweepstakes.

Direckshun
12-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Still, though.

http://www.tnspsportsnet.com/local-sports/larry-fitzgerald-a-falcon/

Larry Fitzgerald a Falcon?
By KT

So it is official, Larry Fitzgerald will be a Free-Agent at the conclusion of this years NFL season. Fitz signed a 4-year deal back in 2008 that included an opt-out clause in the final season so he could walk if he didnít like the direction the team was headed in. The deal also included a No-Trade clause, so the Cardinals cannot franchise him. Well Fitz has met all of his requirements in his 4-year deal for his opt-out clause to take affect, so now he can walk at the end of the season.

So Larry Ö why not join the Falcons? Could you imagine the Falcons having Roddy White, Larry Fitzgerald, and Tony Gonzalez? Matt Ryan would have a field day with a receiving corps like that. The running lanes would become huge for Michael Turner as no defense in their right mind would drop 8 in the box with White and Fitz on the perimeter.

I know the Falcons would probably rather spend the money shoring up the defense some more, but itís not to often that HIGH CHARACTER top 5 receivers are on the open market.

Fitz has already previously said that he loved playing for his old offensive coordinator Tod Haley, so you got to believe that the Chiefs are at the top of his possible destination list. However, if you were Larry who would you rather have at quarterback, Matt Ryan or Matt Cassel?

I know its a stretch, but damn it would be nice to see Fitz in Red & Black opposite Roddy White. Just make sure the man doesnít land in New Orleans. Remember that playoff game 2 years ago when Fitz dominated Brett Grimes? We donít need to relive that scene two times a year.

Sofa King
12-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Screw the Falcons.

ReynardMuldrake
*fap fap fap fap fap*

Otter
Gonna cost a pretty penny but that's a signing I wouldn't mind seeing.

Sofa King
12-03-2010, 11:48 AM
oh and

http://files.redux.com/images/5b63143089ecc5732f333a21af13df1c/condthumb460x600

LaChapelle
12-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Then they better sign Hali Flowers Bowe Charles and Cassel
and have most of it count against this year's cap
which I hope DJ's did

Direckshun
12-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Gonna cost a pretty penny but that's a signing I wouldn't mind seeing.

WR is where you spend your money, though.

Bowser
12-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Fitz has to come here. Pay the man, for fuck's sake. He's made it pretty clear that he wants to play for Haley, and with Cassel waking up and Bowe beasting.......

If Atlanta could land him, that offense would be ridiculous. How pissed would Gonzalez be if he came back for one more year due to Fitz showing up to watch his team go 13-3, get homefield throughout, and lose to the Saints because their D couldn't force a single punt?

beach tribe
12-03-2010, 11:50 AM
I can totally see this happening. Hell, I truly believe it WILL happen.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh90/bbeal29/fap.gif

58-4ever
12-03-2010, 11:51 AM
My sister's friend told me that he bought a house in Overland Park. *first*

HemiEd
12-03-2010, 11:54 AM
which I hope DJ's did

Cap?:spock:

Direckshun
12-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Aren't Fitz and Bowe already great friends?

This is a match made in fucking heaven. The guy is 27.

Earthling
12-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Maybe Haley's Dad can talk to him and make some kinda deal...Without Haley knowing anything about it of course...

Bowser
12-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Aren't Fitz and Bowe already great friends?

This is a match made in fucking heaven. The guy is 27.

I think so. Bowe went to some camp Fitz puts on for NFLers this past summer and they hit it off. I think that's how it goes...

Sofa King
12-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Superbowl!

LaChapelle
12-03-2010, 11:57 AM
If they play next year
I'd plan on their being a cap

Jenson71
The stars are aligning too perfectly for this to actually come through. He will probably end up lining opposite of Vincent Jackson.

Saul Good
Isn't Cassel slated to make something like $4.5 million next year? That opens up a lot of room to sign a big time FA...just sayin'.

HotRoute
12-03-2010, 12:01 PM
The problem will be signing the rest of the guys who are already here, we will be forced to choose between Fitz and a big name player that wants to get paid and is already on the roster. Hopefully pioli can convince someone to take a pay cut to bring Fitz in like they use to do in NE.

My suggestion: cassel

doomy3
12-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Damn, this would be a dream come true. I have never seen a decent receiving corps play for this team, that that would give us the top receiving corps in the NFL, IMO.

SDChiefs
12-03-2010, 12:02 PM
I just speculated in my pants....twice.

Bowser
12-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Damn, this would be a dream come true. I have never seen a decent receiving corps play for this team, that that would give us the top receiving corps in the NFL, IMO.

Chris Penn and Lake Dawson say fuck you.

Thig Lyfe
12-03-2010, 12:04 PM
TO THE SHA!!!!!!!

Saul Good
12-03-2010, 12:06 PM
The problem will be signing the rest of the guys who are already here, we will be forced to choose between Fitz and a big name player that wants to get paid and is already on the roster. Hopefully pioli can convince someone to take a pay cut to bring Fitz in like they use to do in NE.

My suggestion: casselWe have one of the lowest payrolls in the league, and Cassel is taking an eleven million dollar pay cut. There is no financial excuse for this not happening.

MTG#10
12-03-2010, 12:08 PM
which I hope DJ's did

Screw them, we dont need any talent on defense we'll just outscore everyone /Vermeil

CHENZ A!
12-03-2010, 12:10 PM
I would give our next 2 1st rd picks for this guy and not feel bad at all. You hardly ever have opportunities to add someone as great as this, and in the prime of their career.
Posted via Mobile Device

LaChapelle
No one remembers Spinner
or watched the Texans last night
LOL

Detoxing

Imagine what that could do for Jamaal Charles.....Holy Moeaki!

WebGem
12-03-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm an idiot

DaneMcCloud
12-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but I've yet to confirm this "opt-out" clause, which makes absolutely no sense for the Cardinals.

From Rotoworld:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=nfl&id=1661

3/11/2008: Signed a four-year, $40 million contract w/NTC. The deal contains $30 million guaranteed, including a $15 million signing bonus, and a $9 million option bonus and $3.1 million roster bonus in the second year. If Fitzgerald is franchise tagged in 2012, he must be paid $23 million that season. 2010: $6.3 million, 2011: $7 million, 2012: $5 million, 2013: Free Agent

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2010/10/05/20101005arizona-cardinals-quarterback-larry-fitzgerald.html#ixzz11mu9C15k

In 2008, Fitzgerald signed a five-year contract that voided to four provided Fitzgerald met minimal performance standards.

He's done that, meaning his contract, which averages $10 million a year, will expire after the 2011 season. To avoid reaching that point, the Cardinals are expected to discuss a new contract with Fitzgerald no later than this spring, although a lockout could change the timeline.

Fitzgerald has all the leverage. Under terms of the present deal, the Cardinals cannot trade Fitzgerald or place the franchise tag on him.

Without those options, the Cardinals will want to reach agreement on an extension before Fitzgerald begins his final contract year.

If a new deal isn't reached by the start of the 2011 season, Fitzgerald could decide to see what the market will bear for a top receiver who will turn 29 in 2012. And it will bear a lot.

---------------------------------------------

Contrary to the AZ Central report, Fitzgerald CAN be traded but the trade HAS to be approved by Fitzgerald himself.

As I've stated before, I believe Fitz will be traded during the 2011 offseason because if he's not traded, Arizona will get absolutely nothing for him after the season because he'll be free to walk.

suds79
12-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Apparently I must be the only KC fan not drooling over this opportunity.

1 - We'd have to pay a huge huge price for the guy in picks. Our defense needs an elite pass rusher most of all.

2 - Does that mean we'd shift from a running team to a passing team? So we're then changing our whole personality.

3 - And perhaps mostly. A few good games does not make a franchise QB. We'd be getting all these WRs and our QB would still be a guy who's improving quickly but is still far from elite.

JASONSAUTO
12-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Apparently I must be the only KC fan not drooling over this opportunity.

1 - We'd have to pay a huge huge price for the guy in picks. Our defense needs an elite pass rusher most of all.

2 - Does that mean we'd shift from a running team to a passing team? So we're then changing our whole personality.

3 - And perhaps mostly. A few good games does not make a franchise QB. We'd be getting all these WRs and our QB would still be a guy who's improving quickly but is still far from elite.

this article says he will be a FA, opt out clause. others have said it too.

suds79
12-03-2010, 12:25 PM

Ah reading is overrated. :P (my bad)

Hydrae
12-03-2010, 12:25 PM

From what Dane posted, he can opt out after the 2011 season, a year from now.

CHENZ A!
12-03-2010, 12:30 PM
He would be a FA after NEXT year. That is why AZ would need to trade him THIS offseason, or resign him. It will take picks to get him this offseason, and a new contract for him. Pay attention people.
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
12-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but I've yet to confirm this "opt-out" clause, which makes absolutely no sense for the Cardinals.

From Rotoworld:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=nfl&id=1661

3/11/2008: Signed a four-year, $40 million contract w/NTC. The deal contains $30 million guaranteed, including a $15 million signing bonus, and a $9 million option bonus and $3.1 million roster bonus in the second year. If Fitzgerald is franchise tagged in 2012, he must be paid $23 million that season. 2010: $6.3 million, 2011: $7 million, 2012: $5 million, 2013: Free Agent

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2010/10/05/20101005arizona-cardinals-quarterback-larry-fitzgerald.html#ixzz11mu9C15k

In 2008, Fitzgerald signed a five-year contract that voided to four provided Fitzgerald met minimal performance standards.

He's done that, meaning his contract, which averages $10 million a year, will expire after the 2011 season. To avoid reaching that point, the Cardinals are expected to discuss a new contract with Fitzgerald no later than this spring, although a lockout could change the timeline.

Fitzgerald has all the leverage. Under terms of the present deal, the Cardinals cannot trade Fitzgerald or place the franchise tag on him.

Without those options, the Cardinals will want to reach agreement on an extension before Fitzgerald begins his final contract year.

If a new deal isn't reached by the start of the 2011 season, Fitzgerald could decide to see what the market will bear for a top receiver who will turn 29 in 2012. And it will bear a lot.

---------------------------------------------

Contrary to the AZ Central report, Fitzgerald CAN be traded but the trade HAS to be approved by Fitzgerald himself.

As I've stated before, I believe Fitz will be traded during the 2011 offseason because if he's not traded, Arizona will get absolutely nothing for him after the season because he'll be free to walk.

Receiver Larry Fitzgerald has restructured his contract, but the changes won't have an impact on the Cardinals' salary cap this season.

Fitzgerald agreed to the restructuring last week. His base salary decreased from $4.6 million to $1.6 million, but Fitzgerald receives the difference in roster bonus.

In addition, about $150,000 that was payable in 2010 was moved to this year. That increased Fitzgerald's current cap number from $10.75 million to $10.90 million. His cap figure in 2010 decreases by $150,000.

A no-trade clause also was dropped from the deal, and the contract, due to expire after 2011, was not extended.

So...I think he lost his power to veto trades.

HotRoute
12-03-2010, 12:32 PM

IIRC I heard this too, but for the cardinals to wait until then wouldnt be very smart. since he will likely not sign a new contract, with the state of the team, they will pretty much be forced to let him go to another team with no compensation. It would be a better move for them to trade him this offseason and get a couple of picks for him, instead of getting left empty handed

DeezNutz
12-03-2010, 12:34 PM
The article states that Fitz wants to play for Tod, so it looks like we're out.

Fucking Pioli...

Hoover
12-03-2010, 12:37 PM
To be honest, if you signed Fitz it would allow the Chiefs to use their draft picks to continue to address the defense.

DeezNutz
12-03-2010, 12:38 PM
To be honest, if you signed Fitz it would allow the Chiefs to use their draft picks to continue to address the defense.

Not that you're wrong, but how many fucking first round draft picks is it going to take to "fix" the defense?

Hoover
12-03-2010, 12:39 PM
I agree, but we still need a NT and a pass rusher.

ChiefsNow
12-03-2010, 12:40 PM
I feel it happening.

pkane
12-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Not that you're wrong, but how many ****ing first round draft picks is it going to take to "fix" the defense?

Hoover didn't say anything about 1st rd or "fix" he said address the D, which could mean adding depth and get stronger in other areas. We showed the past few weeks that our secondary is not very deep, as much as I like the starters we need depth there.

I am with you on your point about 1st rd defensive picks though.

BigMeatballDave
12-03-2010, 01:15 PM
which I hope DJ's didWhat cap?

BigMeatballDave
12-03-2010, 01:19 PM
If they play next year
I'd plan on their being a capIf they agree to play without a new CBA they would play under current regulations.

Chiefs Rool
12-03-2010, 03:58 PM
I would JIMP if we got Fitz, he's the best WR in the league. He just has the absolute worst QB throwing it to him right now, I can't imagine how great it would be to have him here.

GET IT DONE PIOLI!!!

Hydrae
12-03-2010, 04:13 PM
IIRC I heard this too, but for the cardinals to wait until then wouldnt be very smart. since he will likely not sign a new contract, with the state of the team, they will pretty much be forced to let him go to another team with no compensation. It would be a better move for them to trade him this offseason and get a couple of picks for him, instead of getting left empty handed

True enough.

Sauto's comment though sounded like he thought we could pick him up as a FA with no compensation to the Cardinals during this next off season, thus my response.

Mile High Mania
12-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Fitzgerald would command the highest WR salary of all-time... the dude is still 27 right? If he indeed leaves AZ, the team that gets him will be very lucky, but I would imagine that will be one HELL of a contract.

Dicky McElephant
12-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Fitzgerald would command the highest WR salary of all-time... the dude is still 27 right? If he indeed leaves AZ, the team that gets him will be very lucky, but I would imagine that will be one HELL of a contract.

I'm going to assume it would be in the neighborhood of 6 years.....say $80-$90 million dollars.

Chiefs Rool
12-03-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm going to assume it would be in the neighborhood of 6 years.....say $80-$90 million dollars.

that would be fine with me! To get a talent like that, you just have to pull the trigger on it.

JASONSAUTO
12-03-2010, 04:36 PM
True enough.

Sauto's comment though sounded like he thought we could pick him up as a FA with no compensation to the Cardinals during this next off season, thus my response.

thats what THIS article said.

JASONSAUTO
12-03-2010, 04:38 PM

actually if you read what dane said he hasnt found ANYTHING about an opt out clause

DaneMcCloud
12-03-2010, 04:42 PM
actually if you read what dane said he hasnt found ANYTHING about an opt out clause

For 2010, which is what this writer incorrectly states.

Fitz can opt out after the conclusion of the 2011 season, since all of the qualifiers have been met.

Since that is the case and Fitz has shown a desire to play elsewhere, he'll likely be traded this upcoming off-season.

JASONSAUTO
12-03-2010, 04:46 PM

Fitz can opt out after the conclusion of the 2011 season, since all of the qualifiers have been met.

Since that is the case and Fitz has shown a desire to play elsewhere, he'll likely be traded this upcoming off-season.

if he met the clauses does he still have to opt out or is the 5th year just void?

DJ's left nut
12-03-2010, 04:47 PM
The only real source I've seen for this supposed opt out is here:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/106656808.html?page=3&c=y

Fitzgerald, 27, is the youngest player in the NFL to have 550 receptions. Incidentally, if the Vikings are interested, Fitzgerald, a Vikings ball boy under Dennis Green, can buy out his contract after this year and be a free agent.

I'll be honest - if it were true we'd see it more often. There'd be armageddon in AZ had they not addressed it by now.

I'll believe it when I see it.

CHENZ A!
12-03-2010, 04:47 PM

Exactly.
Posted via Mobile Device

rtmike
12-03-2010, 05:03 PM
I don't remember the specifics of the current system but what was the deal about play off teams only being able to sign free agents after they lost one of theirs?

DaneMcCloud
12-03-2010, 05:10 PM
if he met the clauses does he still have to opt out or is the 5th year just void?

His contract is essentially void after the 2011 season because he's met all of the qualifiers put into the 2008 contract.

Three possible scenarios:

1. Larry Fitzgerald plays all 16 games for the Arizona Cardinals in 2011 and is free to sign with any team without compensation due to the Cardinals. Arizona can't "Franchise" him due to the terms of his 2008 contract.

2. Arizona trades the rights to Larry Fitzgerald anytime before the October 2011 trading deadline. That team will then assume the remainder of his contract signed in 2008. If Fitzgerald does not re-negotiate or sign a new contract, he'd be free to walk at the end of the 2011 season.

3. Arizona trades the rights to Larry Fitzgerald and a new contract is agreed upon.

Also, it must be noted that Fitzgerald has a "No Trade" clause in his contract, so he'd need to agree to be traded. He has the power to veto any trade.

Dave Lane
12-03-2010, 06:09 PM
My sister's friend told me that he bought a house in Overland Park. *first*

Leawood damn it Leawood. Get your geography straight :)