PDA

View Full Version : If you're the Commissioner of your FF league...

Pestilence
12-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Give me some tips and ideas.

A buddy of mine are splitting off of our current FF league and starting our own money keeper league.

This will be the first time that either of us have been Commissioner. We're planning on being co-commissioners of the league.

DrRyan
12-03-2010, 04:59 PM
Don't try and reinvent the wheel man. If you are making it a keeper league the biggest details you need to decide are what players may be kept(in my keeper league players drafted in rounds 1-2 may never be kept), how long they may be kept(I suggest no more than 2-3 years) and what you will have to give up to keep them(your draft pick 1-2 rounds earlier the next year).

Decide if you will do next year's draft the inverse order of standings this year. Another league I am in allows the members to pick their draft position. Guy with the worst record this year will get to pick what spot he will draft in, second worse record gets second pick on draft position until the winner is put in the last available spot. Some people like this because draft #1 overall is not always that ideal.

PPR or standard, IDP or just D/ST, bonus points for long TDs, 100 yards rush/rec, 300 yards passing, etc and number of players you will start and bench spots available. Start 1 or 2 QBs? So many options...

Edit: One last thing, don't ask for help from the league on deciding on the rules. You will get a different answer from everyone and no one will be happy. Being the commish is a thankless job and all you will hear is complaints unfortunately.

Buck
12-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Co-Commissioners sort of suck. You tend to get into arguments about what is right/wrong.

Mr. Plow
12-05-2010, 07:44 PM
When I started my league, a few things I thought about....

1 - How many keepers do you want to have?
2 - If more than 1, can they be from the same positions? (ie, keep 2 RB's)
In my league, we keep 2 offensive players (can't be from same position) and 1 defensive player
3 - Draft is done in order (1-10) each round. I dislike snake drafts, so I changed it to a more traditional draft.
4 - We have 2 playoff brackets - main bracket, toilet bowl. Main bracket is obvious, Toilet Bowl is more to keep everyone interested - winner of the toilet bowl gets the #1 overall pick in the next years draft.
5 - Starting positions
My league starts: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, K, DL, DL, LB, LB, LB, C, S
6 - Total roster size
Total roster size in my league is 26 players
7 - Roster limitations?
I discovered that I had to have a limit on the amount of QB & RB a team could have on their roster because we would get one or two people with like 6 RB & 4 QB, so we set the limits to 3 QB's & 5 RB's.

As I think of some others, I'll post them.

vailpass
12-06-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm co-commisioner of my league. Same 10 teams for 12 years.
*One of us does all of the transaction approving/denying
*One of us handles all of the money
*We discuss the bullshit issues that come up each year and decided together what to do about it

Pestilence
12-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Co-Commissioners sort of suck. You tend to get into arguments about what is right/wrong.

I'm co-commisioner of my league. Same 10 teams for 12 years.
*One of us does all of the transaction approving/denying
*One of us handles all of the money
*We discuss the bullshit issues that come up each year and decided together what to do about it

Cody (the other commissioner) and I are great friends.....and we've already laid it out how we're going to handle situations that come up in the league.

KCTitus
12-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Been commish for several years in a money keeper league.

Teams are allowed one keeper, cannot be from the first round of previous year and may only be kept one year. Ive found this keeps the talent pool fresh, but allows owners to keep that 'surprise' player of the previous year. Think Marques Colston.

It's a PPR league with 12 teams -- we expanded to 12 this year.

Draft is a snake in reverse order of finish.

It's all friends so I havent really had to mediate any major disagreements. The worst part about being commissioner is not being able to enjoy the draft as much as the other folks. You're too busy...and almost too busy to draft your own team.

Old Dog
12-07-2010, 02:16 PM
The biggest piece of advice I will give is have everything that you can think of written in a set of bylaws. It can alleviate a lot of butt hurt when one team thinks he has made the playoffs only to find out that he is the one 8-5 team left out.

The other one is to make sure all fees are paid at least a week or so prior to the draft/auction.

I run 2 seperate leagues, one redraft, one auction keeper. If you want to see what we use let me know and I'll shoot you an E-mail. They may not be perfect for you, but it could give you a starting point.

Pestilence
12-07-2010, 02:58 PM
The biggest piece of advice I will give is have everything that you can think of written in a set of bylaws. It can alleviate a lot of butt hurt when one team thinks he has made the playoffs only to find out that he is the one 8-5 team left out.

The other one is to make sure all fees are paid at least a week or so prior to the draft/auction.

I run 2 seperate leagues, one redraft, one auction keeper. If you want to see what we use let me know and I'll shoot you an E-mail. They may not be perfect for you, but it could give you a starting point.

I'll shoot you a PM.

My friend and I are starting to hammer everything out right now. There are a couple of issues that we're going to have the league vote on first but 95% of them are going to be in writing and they're going to be explained down to the smallest detail.

Mile High Mania
12-09-2010, 12:04 PM
The two of you needs to have a clear set of rules and a foundation for the league prior to inviting members.

Agree on what the two of you will do (roles) and invite only people you know if it's a $ league. Once you bring the owners onboard - send out the rules, format, scoring, etc that you guys created and ask the owners to review.

Request feedback for areas of clarity, definition, changes... then take those items to a league vote. Mandate that all major changes have to pass by a majority vote.

Think through EVERY possible contingency and be prepared for anything. Keep an open mind and be honest with the league - transparency is key.

Mile High Mania
12-09-2010, 12:05 PM

Yeah - we use MyFantasyLeague for our crazy Dynasty league and I had something like 8 pages of rules, scoring, etc... we covered, trades, bidding, collusion, anti-tanking rules. Anything and everything.

It's all posted online.

Pestilence
12-09-2010, 12:10 PM
The two of you needs to have a clear set of rules and a foundation for the league prior to inviting members.

Agree on what the two of you will do (roles) and invite only people you know if it's a $ league. Once you bring the owners onboard - send out the rules, format, scoring, etc that you guys created and ask the owners to review.

Request feedback for areas of clarity, definition, changes... then take those items to a league vote. Mandate that all major changes have to pass by a majority vote.

Think through EVERY possible contingency and be prepared for anything. Keep an open mind and be honest with the league - transparency is key.

We're hammering out most of the details right now. We already have about 6 commits and everyone that has been invited is a personal friend of ours.

I think we're going to have about 3 to 4 issues that will be up to vote.

Mr. Plow
12-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Yeah - we use MyFantasyLeague for our crazy Dynasty league and I had something like 8 pages of rules, scoring, etc... we covered, trades, bidding, collusion, anti-tanking rules. Anything and everything.

It's all posted online.

That's what I use for my dynasty. Love that site. Got more things than I need and "gives" you a lot of options for "general" settings.

chop
12-09-2010, 12:24 PM
I let the league vote on pretty much everything (majority wins). No one ever bothers me except for the people who want more or less keepers.

Pestilence
12-09-2010, 12:28 PM
What are the benefits of MyFantasyLeague?

Does it cost anything?

Mr. Plow
12-09-2010, 12:33 PM
What are the benefits of MyFantasyLeague?

Does it cost anything?

Sending PM.

Pestilence
12-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks guys.

It looks like as of right now....we're going to go with My Fantasy League.

The amount of customizable shit is insane on that site.

Mr. Plow
12-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks guys.

It looks like as of right now....we're going to go with My Fantasy League.

The amount of customizable shit is insane on that site.

Did you set up a test league?

Mile High Mania
12-09-2010, 03:23 PM
My Fantasy League is pretty cheap and it's damn easy - lots of standard options and you can get very customized!

Plus, it's easy to renew each year and you can still view historical data by clicking the other links, etc. I like it.

Pestilence
12-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Did you set up a test league?

Yeah I set up a test league and sent the link to the other commish. I'm sure in a couple of days we'll sit down over the phone and hammer out all of the rules and scoring.

Once that's all done we'll start inviting the owners and having them set up their franchises.

The only thing I really don't like about the site is their thread based message board system. I'm used to an open message board where it's just post after post. I guess it just takes a little to get used to.

I also wish they had a test draft that I could run through to see exactly how it's going to look and feel.

Mr. Plow
12-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Speaking of historical data - here is a site that works with MFL that allows you to come up with nearly any type of stat you want. I've been using it on my league for a few years now.

http://www.mflhistory.com/index.php

Mr. Plow
12-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Yeah I set up a test league and sent the link to the other commish. I'm sure in a couple of days we'll sit down over the phone and hammer out all of the rules and scoring.

Once that's all done we'll start inviting the owners and having them set up their franchises.

The only thing I really don't like about the site is their thread based message board system. I'm used to an open message board where it's just post after post. I guess it just takes a little to get used to.

I also wish they had a test draft that I could run through to see exactly how it's going to look and feel.

If you are talking about a "live chat" feature, there is one on it. You just have to add it to a page.

As far as the test draft goes - I think it might let you set up some dummy teams, then set your draft and run through it. Could be wrong though.

Pestilence
12-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Speaking of historical data - here is a site that works with MFL that allows you to come up with nearly any type of stat you want. I've been using it on my league for a few years now.

http://www.mflhistory.com/index.php

So basically they just send over their data to this site after each season and then you can go back and check? Or is it something that you're required to do?

Mr. Plow
12-09-2010, 03:32 PM
If you go to my site, go to the "Gameday" tab, you'll see the live chat box there. Is that what you are talking about?

Mr. Plow
12-09-2010, 03:32 PM
So basically they just send over their data to this site after each season and then you can go back and check? Or is it something that you're required to do?

No....it's an option. You don't have to do it. Look at the "League History & Stats" tab on my league.

Pestilence
12-09-2010, 03:46 PM
If you go to my site, go to the "Gameday" tab, you'll see the live chat box there. Is that what you are talking about?

It's kind of the same thing.

In our last league it was like here except everything was one big thread. So there would be avatars and signatures....that type of thing.

Pestilence
12-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Hey Plow.....what type of waiver wire system does your league use?

Mr. Plow
12-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Hey Plow.....what type of waiver wire system does your league use?

Waivers run 8pm Tuesday to Wednesday 8pm.

Waiver order is set by:
1 - Overall Record
2 - Head to Head Record
3 - Total Points scored

So, essentially if you have 2 teams sitting at 2-5, both a win against each other, whoever has scored the lower point total gets the #1 waiver pick.

Pestilence
12-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Only one day? Is it a free for all. Or does it run through the 12 teams and then keep repeating until no one has any requests in?

Mr. Plow
12-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Only one day? Is it a free for all. Or does it run through the 12 teams and then keep repeating until no one has any requests in?

Sorry....Waivers are only 1 day, after that it's first come/first serve.

Pestilence
12-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Sorry....Waivers are only 1 day, after that it's first come/first serve.

Ahhhh I see. Currently we do it where its one player per team per day.....

Mile High Mania
12-10-2010, 05:19 AM
We have two waivers...

Blind Bidding (each team gets X amount each year of fake $ to spend) and we open up Blind Bidding Tuesday at 8am cst and then it closes 2-3 days later (changes for holiday and Thursday night games).

Then a First Come First Served waiver system starts Friday at 8am cst and closes on Sunday at 11 am cst.

Works well... we run a dynasty contract based league and it handles everything. 27 Roster spots with IDP... very easy.

Mr. Plow
12-10-2010, 08:27 AM
We have two waivers...

Blind Bidding (each team gets X amount each year of fake $ to spend) and we open up Blind Bidding Tuesday at 8am cst and then it closes 2-3 days later (changes for holiday and Thursday night games).

Then a First Come First Served waiver system starts Friday at 8am cst and closes on Sunday at 11 am cst.

Works well... we run a dynasty contract based league and it handles everything. 27 Roster spots with IDP... very easy.

I've never done the Blind Bidding - does record or waiver order come into play with it at all or is it simply X player outbid Y player?

Mile High Mania
12-10-2010, 10:01 AM
I've never done the Blind Bidding - does record or waiver order come into play with it at all or is it simply X player outbid Y player?

I think you can do it any number of ways.

Our league is a dynasty league with a salary cap... so, each year every team gets a new 'fake $200' to spend on FAs every week. They can carry over any unused $ to the next season.

So, during the Blind Bidding - the highest bidder wins ... if 2 teams bid the same amount, I believe it goes with the timestamp of the first bidder. It's really easy.

Plus, we have 26 "active" roster spots (including IDP) - two Taxi (rookie) spots - 3 IR spots... so, in total you could have 31 players with your franchise, but only 26 are active. The IR guys are out for a minimum of 3 weeks. The Taxi Squad is where you can hide a rookie for the year, not give him a contract until the next season... but if you Taxi someone you can't play them this year.

I have Mike Williams and Moeaki on my Taxi ... but that's cool because next year, my depth will rock.

So, while the $200 annually can seem like a bit much, it's really a good amount.

Mr. Plow
12-10-2010, 10:20 AM
How do you go about setting the value of players?

I'm curious because I'm going to try to set up a dynasty league for next season - looking for some idea's.

EDIT:

Also, is your idea of a dynasty league carrying over your entire team from year to year?

Pestilence
12-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Are you planning on making it a paid dynasty league Plow?

Mr. Plow
12-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Are you planning on making it a paid dynasty league Plow?

Definitely. I've been wanting to do it for a few years, just never got it started.

Pestilence
12-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Well depending on the cost.....I might be interested. I've always wanted to play in a dynasty league but they're always tough to get into.

Bill Lundberg
12-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Definitely. I've been wanting to do it for a few years, just never got it started.

I'm in when you decide to do it.

Old Dog
12-10-2010, 11:33 AM

depending on the setup, if you're looking for more owners, let me know

Mile High Mania
12-10-2010, 11:38 AM
If you want the rules we use for Dynasty - pm me your addy and I'll send.

Our dynasty league is in Year 2. So, we had the big 28 round draft to cover your 26 actives and then 2 Taxi Spots.

Every year we have a 4 round Rookie/FA Veteran draft - and it's a worst to first order for drafting in each round, like the NFL.

You don't have to drop anyone from your roster, unless you want to draft.

We have a 125 year salary cap - you can call it dollars, years - doesn't really matter. Max contract is 6 years - the trick is getting the right player at the right time. And, not loading up on too many high contract guys.

You want 4-6 guys at 1 year so you can drop them for FA's during the season and not take a big penalty hit.

Again, I can send you the rules or possibly just link the site. Hold please - let me do that... :D

Mr. Plow
12-10-2010, 11:50 AM
If you want the rules we use for Dynasty - pm me your addy and I'll send.

Our dynasty league is in Year 2. So, we had the big 28 round draft to cover your 26 actives and then 2 Taxi Spots.

Every year we have a 4 round Rookie/FA Veteran draft - and it's a worst to first order for drafting in each round, like the NFL.

You don't have to drop anyone from your roster, unless you want to draft.

We have a 125 year salary cap - you can call it dollars, years - doesn't really matter. Max contract is 6 years - the trick is getting the right player at the right time. And, not loading up on too many high contract guys.

You want 4-6 guys at 1 year so you can drop them for FA's during the season and not take a big penalty hit.

Again, I can send you the rules or possibly just link the site. Hold please - let me do that... :D

Please do.....setup is always the hardest part. Making sure the rules are right, scoring is correct, etc. A little guidance would be helpful - even if it is from a Denver fan. :D

Mile High Mania
12-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Please do.....setup is always the hardest part. Making sure the rules are right, scoring is correct, etc. A little guidance would be helpful - even if it is from a Denver fan. :D

Just PM'ed you the link ... decided not to post for the masses. Rules are critical in all money leagues - especially crazy keeper/dynasty leagues.

Mr. Plow
12-10-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm in when you decide to do it.

Do you plan on winning in this one? :D

Sorry.....couldn't resist.

Mile High Mania
12-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Plow - after you looked at the rules, tell me if you had the same "holy sh*t" response that the other owner had when we started. They were a bit overwhelmed at first, but - it works and you're about 98% loophole proof when you nail things down like that.

Sure, things still come up, but not many.

Mr. Plow
12-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Very detailed. There is no way you can cover everything, but you guys did a good job. I might have to steal some of that.

Bill Lundberg
12-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Do you plan on winning in this one? :D

Sorry.....couldn't resist.

No apology necessary - I teed it up for you. I would have bet my house if you would have told me I would finish with 2 wins with this roster!

Mr. Plow
12-10-2010, 02:52 PM
No apology necessary - I teed it up for you. I would have bet my house if you would have told me I would finish with 2 wins with this roster!

I know man. Been a rough year for you. I've been through them as well.