PDA

View Full Version : Life Recent Veterinary experience at Pearson-Nespor Animal Hospital in San Diego...

AustinChief
12-03-2010, 05:45 PM
So my girlfriend has a dog that has been scratching one ear a lot lately. She decided today to take it to the vet and get it checked out. Upon returning from the exam, she is given an estimate of close to $500 to "treat" the dog. Only one of which is actually a treatment.

Here are the charges they tried to get away with...

$36 Comprehensive Physical Exam (almost certain this means the lazy bitch glanced at the dog)
$35 Cytology (Aural)
$80 Aerobic Culture
$38 Ear Treatment
$20 Antibiotic Injection
$28 Office Injection
$65 Sedation
$113 CBC, Chemistry, T4
$13 D/P Triz Edta Ultra +Keto
$25-$75 Misc. Medications

Is this common for vets today? Are they all lazy, money grabbing bastards who prey upon ignorant pet owners? I have NO sympathy for a pet owner who falls for this bullshit... but seriously, shouldn't there be some sort of oversight? Besides posting bad online reviews, are there any other forms of recourse available?

I am beyond pissed the more I think about it.... Luckily, my girlfriend isn't an idiot and simply paid the $36 exam fee and walked out after giving them an earful.

BTW the dog is fine, I looked in its ear, it has some wax and probably just needs a good cleaning.

OH! and the ditch pig who examined the dog is named TREASURE SCHULTZ...so apparently she failed her parents and managed to not fulfill their dream of birthing a stripper.

Awesome Aric
12-03-2010, 05:46 PM
What about artificial insemination? I've been looking into that lately.

AustinChief
12-03-2010, 05:52 PM
after doing a small amount of research it appears the "good" vet who worked there (Dr Nespor) is now SUING the current business

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/california/casdce/3:2009cv01022/297259/

AustinChief
12-03-2010, 05:55 PM
WOW! The hits just keep coming... apparently the last time she was there.. one of the VETS suggested she go to an animal PSYCHIC! wow.

btlook1
12-03-2010, 06:10 PM
What about artificial insemination? I've been looking into that lately.

They shouldn't have implanted you.....

DaneMcCloud
12-03-2010, 06:11 PM
I have VPI (Veterinarian Pet Insurance).

It runs about $500 per Lab but it's more than worth it. In addition to covering their Annual Wellness Exams, it covers their snakebite shots and most laboratory procedures.

It also covers the spay/neuter process and pretty much every other vet visit and surgical procedure.

It's definitely worth it.

Awesome Aric
12-03-2010, 06:11 PM
They shouldn't have implanted you.....

I wish.

btlook1
12-03-2010, 06:14 PM
I know alot of the competition people are going with the Pet Plan insurance for their retrievers. Pays for surgery with accidents and torn ACL's with dogs stuff like that. Haven't looked in to it yet for ourselves as we aren't competing much right now.. My understanding is that they pay for most everything but haven't looked in to it.

AustinChief
12-03-2010, 06:18 PM

It runs about $500 per Lab but it's more than worth it. In addition to covering their Annual Wellness Exams, it covers their snakebite shots and most laboratory procedures.

It also covers the spay/neuter process and pretty much every other vet visit and surgical procedure.

I am wondering if this is the problem? Is it becoming like the human health industry where everyone has insurance so Vets can charge exorbitant rates for needless procedures and no one questions it?

There is no FUCKING reason to run blood work and sedate a dog just because it has an itchy ear.

I can kind of understand the Aural Cytology .. but that is even overkill at this stage.

KC Jones
12-03-2010, 06:19 PM
crazy - should be some sort of professional organization you can complain too. I would think the veterinary board would be one.

AustinChief
12-03-2010, 06:24 PM
OH! and the ditch pig who examined the dog is named TREASURE SCHULTZ...so apparently she failed her parents and managed to not fulfill their dream of birthing a stripper.

Pearson-Nespor Animal Hospital in San Diego... Carlsbad or San Marcos to be exact...

Just quoting for the sake of Google... would love to get this thread to the top...

DaneMcCloud
12-03-2010, 06:26 PM
I am wondering if this is the problem? Is it becoming like the human health industry where everyone has insurance so Vets can charge exorbitant rates for needless procedures and no one questions it?

There is no FUCKING reason to run blood work and sedate a dog just because it has an itchy ear.

I can kind of understand the Aural Cytology .. but that is even overkill at this stage.

I have no idea, Dude.

What I can tell you is that we tried three different vets before settling on our current veterinary clinic and we've been with them since 2004, so maybe it's time to look elsewhere.

We bought our first lab back in 2003 from a very well respected AKC breeder. Unfortunately, the poor pooch peed constantly and had all kinds of problems for weeks. As it turned out, she had crystals in her urine and giardia worms. We spent hundreds (if not thousands) before discovering VPI.

We've used it for both of our Labs every year. In some years, the purchase price exceeded the benefits (and personally, I'll take that any day of the week) but there have been years when it's been very beneficial.

BigChiefFan
12-03-2010, 06:27 PM
I think it has more to do with prices being higher in California, than it being vets being crooks. I've known some very pleasant vets that go above and beyond because they are mainly compassionate people in my experiences. That said, our vet usually gives us the heads up on cost PRIOR to performing any recommendation.

rtmike
12-03-2010, 07:04 PM
We had a 7 year old Bengal that had urinary problems, (couldn't piss). The first time they put him under to cathe him & he almost didn't recover (bad heart too). Last Saturday it happened again so we had to put him down. The girls are still upset.

First vet bill was $1900.--. There wasn't much we could do besides putting him down the first time but we had hoped it was the duck treats we gave him that caused it.

It's a racket I tell ya'. We've talked about some kind of insurance.

Our dog was having ear issues as well. When my wife gets home I'll ask her what the name of the ear drops were the vet gave us.

LaChapelle
12-03-2010, 07:10 PM
That view from the Vet's office window isn't going to pay for it's self
and you shouldn't either

notorious
12-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Small town vets in a rural area = WIN

Pioli Zombie
12-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier just to throw the dog off a bridge?

LaChapelle
12-03-2010, 07:17 PM
And a 100 post thread is spawned

Pioli Zombie
12-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Just keepin the conversation lively.....

notorious
12-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier just to throw the dog off a bridge?

A lot of farmers out here use a good ole' 22 on a dog that is near death rather then spend 11tybillion dollars to make them suffer longer.

I don't applaud it, but sometimes it is better for the pet. I would have probably spend a large amount on my labs if they would have needed it.

2bikemike
12-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Personally I don't think I would be spending that kind of coin on a pet. Which is one reason we don't have any pets.

I worked with a woman who had this 20 year old cat. This freaking cat had so many problems and near death experiences. It was unbelievable how many times she took it to the vet and dropped around a grand or more. In the end she was spending about $400 a month in meds and treatments to keep that old puss alive. I tried telling her I could end that cats misery for about $0.35.

Needless to say she thinks I'm a heartless bastard.

notorious
12-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Personally I don't think I would be spending that kind of coin on a pet. Which is one reason we don't have any pets.

I worked with a woman who had this 20 year old cat. This freaking cat had so many problems and near death experiences. It was unbelievable how many times she took it to the vet and dropped around a grand or more. In the end she was spending about $400 a month in meds and treatments to keep that old puss alive. I tried telling her I could end that cats misery for about $0.35.

Needless to say she thinks I'm a heartless bastard.

JFC.

That poor cat is in some major pain.

rtmike
12-03-2010, 07:33 PM
JFC.

Yeah, no shit. I think it's used up all 9 of it's lives.

2bikemike
12-03-2010, 07:34 PM
JFC.

It finally croaked. This chick was whacked out. She used to say that the damn cat told her to keep it alive.

Bill Parcells
12-03-2010, 07:44 PM

ROFL :LOL:

Of course you do. do you also have a bidet for your dog?

ROFL

Pioli Zombie
12-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Bring it to Pings Chinese restaurant. The cooks in back would take care of the problem pronto.

Pioli Zombie
12-03-2010, 07:46 PM
I can't believe the time I've wasted arguing football with a guy who pays for frickin health insurance for his pet.

Pioli Zombie
12-03-2010, 07:53 PM
In Lawrence they don't bring their dogs to the Vet, they have violent sex with them.

DaneMcCloud
12-03-2010, 09:04 PM
ROFL :LOL:

Of course you do. do you also have a bidet for your dog?

ROFL

I'm sorry but the wellness of my Labs is worth $1,000 per year.

And quite honestly, I'm not sure if their grooming services include a bidet.

:D

Ebolapox
12-03-2010, 09:12 PM
maybe I'm a heartless bastard, but I refuse to pay any more for pet care than maybe what I paid for the pet. we adopted both of our cats from the humane society, about 75 bucks each. so, as long as the bill is no more than 75 bucks per, they stay alive. otherwise, I either go to the shelter and get another one or get a freaking free one from the classified ads in the paper every sunday.

Bacon Cheeseburger
12-03-2010, 09:26 PM
maybe I'm a heartless bastard, but I refuse to pay any more for pet care than maybe what I paid for the pet. we adopted both of our cats from the humane society, about 75 bucks each. so, as long as the bill is no more than 75 bucks per, they stay alive. otherwise, I either go to the shelter and get another one or get a freaking free one from the classified ads in the paper every sunday.
I'm with you, I can barely afford my own health care.

Phobia
12-03-2010, 09:57 PM
I like my dogs and I like having them trained to obey my commands. That's quite a bit of work. My rule of thumb is $100 at the vet per year of life expectancy remaining. So, at $250 on the 10 year old Maltese, that next $50 is for the kill-shot... unless they can guarantee the next $50 fixes the dog.

I'd have a hard time spending $1000 on our 1 year old Morkie though. He was about $300. I think I'd probably put him down and go pick up a puppy if he were injured badly or deathly ill.

I like my dogs and they're family. But they're dogs. Really, there's not a whole lot of difference from one to another. It's tough to justify heavy expense - especially when it's tough enough making ends meet for the humans in the family.

Fish
12-03-2010, 10:11 PM

Absolutely. And I say that as an animal lover. I have mammals, reptiles, and fish in my home right now. And I care a great deal for them. But I sure as shit would never pay the bullshit money I've seen from stories on this forum. That's just silly.

Pets are waaaaaay too replaceable. And I know that many people reading this will go "Ohh no, not my little ____. He's one of a kind." Bullshit.

If something happens to one of my pets that would require anything over the cost of replacement, it's time for a hunting trip. Pets have very brief lives as it is. Enjoy it while you can, say goodbye, and appreciate the excitement of getting a new pet.

And pet insurance? ROFL Seriously? Can I interest you in this fine Old Glory Robot Insurance plan while we're at it?

Lumpy
12-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Vet care costs are extremely inflated no matter where you go. However, depending on the clinic, some do try to rip people off. When our Brittany was diagnosed with heart disease, we were lucky to have a good vet clinic. They were a little steep on their prices, but not to the point where we went into debt in order to keep our dog happy and comfortable.

Her scripts alone were roughly around $300/month and check-ups ranged from $50-$100. But it was all worth... we were given a few more years with our little girl.

However, charging $500 to "treat" an ear issue? That is insane!

I'm glad to hear your g/f's dog is ok! :thumb:

chasedude
12-03-2010, 11:27 PM
We've got a lab/great Pyranees mix. In other words she's a HUGE lab. Large dogs have joint problems as they age. The last vet checkup clocked her in at 105lbs. She also has broken a hip in the past from being hit by a car. With her weight, size and past injuries it's harder for her to get around.

So, the vet started her on Deramaxx 75mg, a wonder drug for her. She's running around like she's a pup again. The problem is each pill is $3, 90 bucks for a month's supply. I've looked online and can make a purchase for 2/3 the cost. Next time I'm up for a refill I'll be asking for just the script only.

I know the vet has some overhead to take care of but seriously, charging me for 3$ a pill when I can get it online @ 2 each? All I can say is I hope I don't get hassled because I'm going to get her meds elsewhere, or they'll hear an ear full because I'm expected to buy from them.

Trying to post a pic of her but neither a direct upload or a link from photobucket is working?

btlook1
12-03-2010, 11:38 PM
[QUOTE=chasedude;7222378]We've got a lab/great Pyranees mix. In other words she's a HUGE lab. Large dogs have joint problems as they age. The last vet checkup clocked her in at 105lbs. She also has broken a hip in the past from being hit by a car. With her weight, size and past injuries it's harder for her to get around.

So, the vet started her on Deramaxx 75mg, a wonder drug for her. She's running around like she's a pup again. The problem is each pill is $3, 90 bucks for a month's supply. I've looked online and can make a purchase for 2/3 the cost. Next time I'm up for a refill I'll be asking for just the script only.

I know the vet has some overhead to take care of but seriously, charging me for 3$ a pill when I can get it online @ 2 each? All I can say is I hope I don't get hassled because I'm going to get her meds elsewhere, or they'll hear an ear full because I'm expected to buy from them.

You might try Cosequinn not sure if that is spelled right and or fish oil tablets. We have a lab that has some joint problems and the vet put her on them. She's been doing fine ever since we are just giving her one pill per day now and have added the fish oil now to help. Alot of lab people give the fish oil even if they don't show signs of problems. Of course alot of these people are running field trials and hunt tests. Haven't ever tried the Deramaxx but the Cosequinn while expensive is cheaper...might be something to ask your vet about.

chasedude
12-03-2010, 11:54 PM
You might try Cosequinn not sure if that is spelled right and or fish oil tablets. We have a lab that has some joint problems and the vet put her on them. She's been doing fine ever since we are just giving her one pill per day now and have added the fish oil now to help. Alot of lab people give the fish oil even if they don't show signs of problems. Of course alot of these people are running field trials and hunt tests. Haven't ever tried the Deramaxx but the Cosequinn while expensive is cheaper...might be something to ask your vet about.

I'll check in to it, thx! :thumb:

Zaiko
12-04-2010, 12:02 AM
If it's going to save the dog and it's fairly young, up to 300-400 dollars is not a huge problem.. But it's gotta max out somewhere, especially if it's not even a sure thing.

Pioli Zombie
12-04-2010, 03:05 AM
"But you don't understand. My dog is like my child. If something happened to him it would be just like losing a member of my family" - Effen whackjob nutballs.

Pioli Zombie
12-04-2010, 03:17 AM
www.visitrollingacres.com.
www.petcremationkc.com

Pioli Zombie
12-04-2010, 03:21 AM
www.petcremationkc.com is especially hilarious. Check out the Urns for your pets. And they'll cremate your horse too. Now that's a great job! "What do you do for a living? I burn up dead horses"

Saccopoo
12-04-2010, 03:32 AM
Is this common for vets today? Are they all lazy, money grabbing bastards who prey upon ignorant pet owners?

Yes.

I'm actually surprised they didn't quote you a teeth cleaning scenario in with that diagnosis. Vets love them pet dental billings.

Hog Farmer
12-04-2010, 05:07 AM
My dad was a vet. In fact he was a zoo vet for several years . He actually has operated on Elephants, sea lions , ostrichs and monkeys. He had a clinic in our home town for years until he started specializing in swine and became a consultant. He has told me many stories about the vets he worked with in his early days and how crooked they are. They DO prey on the people that put their pets above humans. It's a fuckin racket. I don't use a vet at my farm except for sereology, and the paper work to satisfy the government. They will bleed you to death if you let them.

Earthling
12-04-2010, 05:26 AM
It finally croaked. This chick was whacked out. She used to say that the damn cat told her to keep it alive.

My wife has been trying this same shit on me ! :p

Bob Dole
12-04-2010, 06:14 AM
Wow. Bob Dole lucked in to an outstanding vet here, apparently. Took in a rescue dog about 8 years ago and 2 days later the little fella was pooping out his intestinal lining (parvo). Took him in where he stayed 3 nights for treatment, and the total bill was $200.

bevischief
12-04-2010, 06:47 AM
Those Vets suck, I can PM mine for those in south KC...

tomahawk kid
12-04-2010, 07:00 AM
I have a GREAT vet in the Northland as well. I haven't felt like I've been overcharged once.

Shoot me a PM if you're in the market for a new one.

KC Jones
12-04-2010, 09:26 AM
I think we need some sort of national veterinary care reform!

I keed, I keed :D

Mr. Laz
12-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Is this common for vets today? Are they all lazy, money grabbing bastards who prey upon ignorant pet owners?
pretty much ... they have decided to follow the example of Human doctors who do whatever they can to squeeze has much money out of people as they can.

Mr. Laz
12-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Wow. Bob Dole lucked in to an outstanding vet here, apparently. Took in a rescue dog about 8 years ago and 2 days later the little fella was pooping out his intestinal lining (parvo). Took him in where he stayed 3 nights for treatment, and the total bill was $200.
wow ... i had to paid more than that for a cat's yearly checkup.

shots/pet license
nails clips
general checkup
general blood test
ears cleaned
==============
total $257

AustinChief
12-04-2010, 01:20 PM
btw.. I checked out the dog myself, had a couple of small bug bites, itching has subsided and she is fine. Thankfully my g/f didn't pay $500 for something that would clear up on its own.

STILL pissed that they tried to pull that shit...

Bowser
12-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Office Injection - $28? Am I the only one whose first thought was that she was paying the vet to nail one of his assisstants on his desk?

AustinChief
12-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Office Injection - $28? Am I the only one whose first thought was that she was paying the vet to nail one of his assisstants on his desk?

Luckily, she isn't an idiot and didn't pay for any of it... oh and the VET who checked out her dog (but apparently not well enough to notice that the itch was simply a bug bite) was a woman named Treasure Schultz... I couldn't make this up if I wanted to.

Pioli Zombie
12-04-2010, 02:58 PM
If a dog was sick and dyin anyway I think it would be fun to tie it to the back seat of a Lincoln Continental with top down then drive it through Dealey Plaza in Dallas. I'd have shooters in front and up in the Texas Book Depository and blast away as the car drove by. Back- and to the left.

JD10367
12-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Yes, vets are expensive. Yes, most of them are trying to screw you. But it makes them no different from anyone else. I go to the dermatologist, they try to screw me into buying a $20 container of skin cream. I go to the auto dealer, they try to screw me into expensive repairs. I go buy something at a store, they try to screw me with useless "insurance". It's the American way, and it's called "trying to make as much money as possible". :shrug: As The Gambler said, you gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. When we go to the vet, we fork it over for the annual checkup bloodwork because we want our animals to live long and prosper; but we drew the line at the "teeth cleaning" they wanted $600 for per animal, and instead have been feeding them pricey teeth-cleaning prescription pet food... which is $30 a big-ass bag but in a year has cleaned their teeth almost spotless.