PDA

View Full Version : Music The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner!!!

petegz28
12-03-2010, 09:12 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/twdSq22pDzo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/twdSq22pDzo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

petegz28
12-03-2010, 09:13 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I-W-cWcJuxk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I-W-cWcJuxk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

PRIEST
12-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Thank you Sir :thumb:

R&GHomer
12-03-2010, 09:56 PM
:thumb: Brings back a lot of memories... or uh sort of LMAO

FAX
12-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Does it talk about the albatross? If so, I don't want to watch. I always felt sorry for the albatross.

FAX

petegz28
12-03-2010, 10:03 PM
:thumb: Brings back a lot of memories... or uh sort of LMAO

ROFL

Gadzooks
12-03-2010, 10:22 PM
I approve of this thread. :clap:

Reaper16
12-04-2010, 12:59 AM
\m/ Up the Irons \m/

Saccopoo
12-04-2010, 03:29 AM
Jesus...what a shit hole of a band.

Seriously. Fucking garbage.

Who wrote these songs? 666. Run to the Hills. This piece of crap. That song about Dune. Etc.

Sam Coleridge looks down from literary heaven and regrets putting pen to paper.

ChiefFripp
12-04-2010, 04:51 AM
Argh, The mighty Maiden it be!

petegz28
12-04-2010, 08:35 AM

Seriously. ****ing garbage.

Who wrote these songs? 666. Run to the Hills. This piece of crap. That song about Dune. Etc.

Go beat off to your Kenny Chesney and STFU

Reaper16
12-04-2010, 10:09 AM

Seriously. Fucking garbage.

I hate you so much. I never did even dislike you before. Sure, it was fun to rib you about your O-Line obsession, but I respected how you stuck to your guns and defended your position.

But this, this is indefensible. Not just because of your irrational hatred of a truly amazing band, but because of your moronic conflation of good/bad songwriting with good/bad lyrics.

InChiefsHell
12-04-2010, 10:37 AM

There is a reason your name is Saccopoo...because your posts are truly shit. It's really not even worth arguing with you about. You Dolt...

AtomicPlayboy
12-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Iron Maiden baby! Seeing them in Tampa in April. Greatest band ever.

headsnap
12-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Powerslave tour, I had front row center stage at Kemper Arena!!!

MOhillbilly
12-04-2010, 11:39 AM
TBH compared to all the other killer shit that was coming out at the sametime IM was kinda weak.
Still like em, but to me they are the twisted sister of arena metal.

Reaper16
12-04-2010, 11:42 AM
TBH compared to all the other killer shit that was coming out at the sametime IM was kinda weak.
Well, of course a guy who likes hardcore would make a ridiculous comparison between Iron Maiden and Twisted Sister. I'm the same way, only opposite -- I don't like most hardcore punk; it upsets my metal sensibilities.

Rausch
12-04-2010, 11:47 AM

To me that's kinda' redundant.

TS and Quiet Riot and even AC/DC were stage/guitar/hair/video/media heavy with little lasting power.

I guess AC/DC could be considered the exception if you don't think they're fucking redundant and almost parodies of themselves at this point...

MOhillbilly
12-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Well, of course a guy who likes hardcore would make a ridiculous comparison between Iron Maiden and Twisted Sister. I'm the same way, only opposite -- I don't like most hardcore punk; it upsets my metal sensibilities.

I like it all bruv. Cut my teeth on metal/thrash. Hardcore was just the next step.
Had all the IM tapes when i was a youngin & even the 1st tape B.D. put out. POS that it was...'bring your daughter to the slaughter' was epic trash.

Pawnmower
12-04-2010, 11:51 AM

Who wrote these songs? Run to the Hills. This piece of crap.

I am not at all a Maiden fan but run to the hills is a pretty bad ass song.....

Bet you cant beat it on expert in rock band LOL

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MSu-6rpvKJU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MSu-6rpvKJU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

MOhillbilly
12-04-2010, 11:52 AM
To me that's kinda' redundant.

TS and Quiet Riot and even AC/DC were stage/guitar/hair/video/media heavy with little lasting power.

I guess AC/DC could be considered the exception if you don't think they're ****ing redundant and almost parodies of themselves at this point...

AC/DC died with Bonny.

TS/QR were gay and didnt have the image IM had. IMO its helped them stay semi relevant over the years.

Reaper16
12-04-2010, 11:57 AM
I like it all bruv. Cut my teeth on metal/thrash. Hardcore was just the next step.
Had all the IM tapes when i was a youngin & even the 1st tape B.D. put out. POS that it was...'bring your daughter to the slaughter' was epic trash.
"Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter" is indeed a garbage song. Ugh.

I still don't get the IM comparison to Twisted Sister. Maiden is far, far more complex in terms of musical composition. They don't even play the same genre of music.

petegz28
12-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Maiden was one of the founders of what used to be "good metal". The dual harmony guitar work and such was one of their traits that set a trend in metal\rock that everyone else wanted to do.

Buzzsaw
12-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Does it talk about the albatross? If so, I don't want to watch. I always felt sorry for the albatross.

FAX

COC here not Maiden, but one of my favorite tunes

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w6NywFBtClw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w6NywFBtClw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

JD10367
12-04-2010, 01:11 PM
All you Maiden haters can suck my hairy asshole. This band was at the forefront of a new musical sound, back when disco was still ringing in 1980 with the Village People. They became internationally huge to insane proportions without the benefit of almost any radio airplay. Comparing them to Twisted Sister is like comparing Taylor Swift to Johnny Cash.

Of course, I'm speaking of the true "golden era" (1980-1985) consisting of the first four albums ("Iron Maiden", "Killers", "Number Of The Beast", "Piece of Mind", and "Powerslave"... although, technically, IIRC, they wrote "Killers" before "Iron Maiden" but for some reason it was released second?). "Somewhere In Time" and "Seventh Son" began a downward spiral where little of consequence was written IMO, aside from occasional songs ("Hooks In You", "Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter"). I really liked "A Matter Of Life And Death", and I'm told this last album is good too although I haven't given it much of a listen. I do grant you that, much like an NFL player, it's hard to rate a great five-year run in the pantheon of achievements. Are they Black Sabbath, or even Metallica? No. But they're definitely on the list of Fucking Awesome Influential Bands.

Reaper16
12-04-2010, 01:33 PM
All you Maiden haters can suck my hairy asshole. This band was at the forefront of a new musical sound, back when disco was still ringing in 1980 with the Village People. They became internationally huge to insane proportions without the benefit of almost any radio airplay. Comparing them to Twisted Sister is like comparing Taylor Swift to Johnny Cash.

Of course, I'm speaking of the true "golden era" (1980-1985) consisting of the first four albums ("Iron Maiden", "Killers", "Number Of The Beast", "Piece of Mind", and "Powerslave"... although, technically, IIRC, they wrote "Killers" before "Iron Maiden" but for some reason it was released second?). "Somewhere In Time" and "Seventh Son" began a downward spiral where little of consequence was written IMO, aside from occasional songs ("Hooks In You", "Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter"). I really liked "A Matter Of Life And Death", and I'm told this last album is good too although I haven't given it much of a listen. I do grant you that, much like an NFL player, it's hard to rate a great five-year run in the pantheon of achievements. Are they Black Sabbath, or even Metallica? No. But they're definitely on the list of Fucking Awesome Influential Bands.
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son was of little consequence? Motherfuck you.

I hope your daughter gets sodomized by a 400lb man.

Mojo Rising
12-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Powerslave tour, I had front row center stage at Kemper Arena!!!

I think I was 3rd row for that show. It was great! Did you go with my brother to that one?

Halfcan
12-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Up the Irons!!!!!!

Halfcan
12-04-2010, 02:57 PM

Of course, I'm speaking of the true "golden era" (1980-1985) consisting of the first four albums ("Iron Maiden", "Killers", "Number Of The Beast", "Piece of Mind", and "Powerslave"... although, technically, IIRC, they wrote "Killers" before "Iron Maiden" but for some reason it was released second?). "Somewhere In Time" and "Seventh Son" began a downward spiral where little of consequence was written IMO, aside from occasional songs ("Hooks In You", "Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter"). I really liked "A Matter Of Life And Death", and I'm told this last album is good too although I haven't given it much of a listen. I do grant you that, much like an NFL player, it's hard to rate a great five-year run in the pantheon of achievements. Are they Black Sabbath, or even Metallica? No. But they're definitely on the list of ****ing Awesome Influential Bands.

:thumb:

blaise
12-04-2010, 03:00 PM

I doubt he would. Why? If anything he'd be like, 'Great!'

Halfcan
12-04-2010, 03:02 PM
COC here not Maiden, but one of my favorite tunes

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w6NywFBtClw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w6NywFBtClw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

:hail::wayne::rockon:

JD10367
12-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son was of little consequence? Mother**** you.

I hope your daughter gets sodomized by a 400lb man.

"Can I Play With Madness?" and "The Evil That Men Do" were pretty good, and while they both never became huge hits I also liked "Moonchild" and "Infinite Dreams". Stylistically, though, both this album and the "Somewhere In Time" album before it started a change for the band; the first five albums were ass-kicking, whereas from that point on the songs got a little weird and repetitive sounding. IMO they just ran out of really good song ideas after five years.

They're still one of my favorite bands, though. Saw them on the "Powerslave" tour and as many times as possible after that.

Reaper16
12-04-2010, 04:03 PM
"Can I Play With Madness?" and "The Evil That Men Do" were pretty good, and while they both never became huge hits I also liked "Moonchild" and "Infinite Dreams". Stylistically, though, both this album and the "Somewhere In Time" album before it started a change for the band; the first five albums were ass-kicking, whereas from that point on the songs got a little weird and repetitive sounding. IMO they just ran out of really good song ideas after five years.

They're still one of my favorite bands, though. Saw them on the "Powerslave" tour and as many times as possible after that.
You are an evil human being. I say that with utter sincerity. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is a tremendous album.

InChiefsHell
12-05-2010, 06:02 AM
Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son were just different albums for Maiden, like the first use of synth...at the time I was a little leery of it, but I got over it plenty quick. But IMO 7th Son was the last truly great album. They just got...dare I say...boring after that album. I did see them in KC back in 2000 for the Brave New World tour, and they had Janeck AND Adrian, which made them sound fucking even more incredible. But I must admit, I've lost track of them. But hey, they made the 80's fucking RULE!!!

Saccopoo
12-06-2010, 03:50 AM
You people arguing about Maiden's "best" album is amazing. I'll give you the guitar work on the mid/later albums when Smith joined the band. Song writing is absolute dog shit after Killers though.

They are nothing more than a cult band/"Dude! Eddie ROCKS!" type of thing. Dickenson's lyrical abilities are incredibly repetitious and the bands approach to song smithing and stage shows are nothing but carnival.

Sorry Reaper, but they suck.

blaise
12-06-2010, 06:33 AM
You people arguing about Maiden's "best" album is amazing. I'll give you the guitar work on the mid/later albums when Smith joined the band. Song writing is absolute dog shit after Killers though.

They are nothing more than a cult band/"Dude! Eddie ROCKS!" type of thing. Dickenson's lyrical abilities are incredibly repetitious and the bands approach to song smithing and stage shows are nothing but carnival.

I don't listen to them anymore, but I really don't see how you could say the song writing is dog shit. On what level, the topics they sing about or the actual lyrics? I'm sort of baffled by that. I'll admit that the last album I listened to was Somewhere in Time, but from Number of the Beast and Powerslave there's some pretty cool songs.

Reaper16
12-06-2010, 07:04 AM

That first paragraph is infuriating. You are a very good troll.

*Listens to Powerslave.*

*Is blown away, still, after all these years, by how dynamic the album is.*

*Is content that he is a much better human being with a largely superior sense of aesthetics than Saccopoo.*

Reaper16
12-06-2010, 07:06 AM
I don't listen to them anymore, but I really don't see how you could say the song writing is dog shit. On what level, the topics they sing about or the actual lyrics?
It had better be fucking neither of those. If it is? Joke account.

JD10367
12-06-2010, 07:26 AM
The only thing better than "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner" is "Stonehenge". :thumb:

tooge
12-06-2010, 07:58 AM

Hey douche, read the lyrics. History, poetry, incredible. So fast, so passionate. run to the hills was voted top 20 of all time. Ask any rock and roll band member and you will hear that Bruce Dickinson has one of the most incredible and uncopyable voices in all of music, and the riffs and base lines are so fast and crisp that only a handful of folks can play them like maiden. Iron Maiden rocks. The music is timeless. Go back to your synthetic rap, country, or whatever mainstream crap you listen to.

MOhillbilly
12-06-2010, 08:04 AM
"Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter" is indeed a garbage song. Ugh.

I still don't get the IM comparison to Twisted Sister. Maiden is far, far more complex in terms of musical composition. They don't even play the same genre of music.

they both sucked compared so some of the stuff that was going on in the thrash/metal world.

Madien for some rockers(poodleheads) is the pussy on a pedestal.

Arena filling rock outfits that made some so-so tunes but for me never really played barebones rock n roll were a dime a dozen.

I dont remember one song those metal god bands ever played that made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.
Now 1st time i heard Reign in Blood.....

MOhillbilly
12-06-2010, 08:08 AM
Madien was a marketing machine. In every fucking rag at that time you could my IM everything. You could buy 40 madien patches for you jean jacket but one slayer,metallica, ect.

And you think they ran out of good songs JD? I think better music came along and made IM irrelevant.

JD10367
12-06-2010, 08:20 AM
And you think they ran out of good songs JD? I think better music came along and made IM irrelevant.

That's like saying better music came along and made the early Beatles stuff irrelevant. You have to discuss things in context and, thus, IMO cannot deny the props due to Maiden for that period of 1980-1985. Not saying they're not irrelevant past that date, and they're certainly not relevant now. They didn't have the staying power of a Metallica and, in many ways, they're not even as good as the less-heralded Judas Priest. But they have their place in music history. Same goes for a band like Kiss. And you seem to want to compare them with more hardcore thrash-style bands. Maiden was never speed metal; they were melodic metal. A notch above the hair bands of heavy metal, a notch below the Slayers and Megadeaths and even Metallica (until Metallica went soft and limp like my penis when confronted with a naked picture of Martha Stewart).

MOhillbilly
12-06-2010, 08:25 AM
Fair enough.

JD10367
12-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Fair enough.

It gets hard when you start talking about "great bands". Quickly scanning my iTunes, here is a list of some of my favorite bands, each with their own style and (quite debatable) place in history...

AC/DC
The Beatles
Clannad
The Doors
Electric Light Orchestra
Iron Maiden
Jethro Tull
Judas Priest
The Kinks
Kiss
Led Zeppelin
Metallica
Pearl Jam
Pink Floyd
The Police
Rush
Styx
The Steve Miller Band
They Might Be Giants
U2
UFO
The Who
Yes

MOhillbilly
12-06-2010, 08:52 AM
I only own music from 3 of the bands you listed but have owned Lps from all the bands listed except Clanned, pearl Jam,u2, and tmbg.

Doors - Box set.
Metallica - Nothing after justice
AC/DC - 95% bon scott stuff.

in my cd changer i have waylon jennings, Hank jr, toots and the maytals, bad brains, & Sham 69.

edit- left out The Dwarves.

blaise
12-06-2010, 09:16 AM
My kids actually listen to TMBG. They make music for little kids now.

Reaper16
12-06-2010, 03:21 PM
they both sucked compared so some of the stuff that was going on in the thrash/metal world.

Madien for some rockers(poodleheads) is the pussy on a pedestal.

Arena filling rock outfits that made some so-so tunes but for me never really played barebones rock n roll were a dime a dozen.

I dont remember one song those metal god bands ever played that made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.
Now 1st time i heard Reign in Blood.....
Grrrrrrr. :mad:

The worst part about this post is that you deserve to be punched in the face for it, but there's no way my pussy ass could deliver it.

MOhillbilly
12-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Grrrrrrr. :mad:

The worst part about this post is that you deserve to be punched in the face for it, but there's no way my pussy ass could deliver it.

im older than you so i remember being ultra bored with that stuff when it was new.

Pablo
12-06-2010, 06:19 PM
edit- left out The Dwarves.The Dwarves are the shit.