PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Despite sharing carries, Chiefs’ Charles in sight of NFL rushing title

Tribal Warfare
12-04-2010, 03:30 AM
Despite sharing carries, Chiefs’ Charles in sight of NFL rushing title (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/12/03/2496176/chiefs-charles-in-sight-of-nfl.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The milestone sneaked up on the Chiefs and caught them by surprise. They were on the verge of finishing off the Seattle Seahawks early in the fourth quarter last week when Jamaal Charles’ otherwise unremarkable 4-yard run put him over 1,000 yards for the second straight season.

Unlike last year, when the Chiefs made it a goal to get Charles over 1,000 yards in the season’s final game, this year’s event passed with little fanfare.

“I didn’t realize it until my wife said something about it before the game, that Jamaal was almost to a thousand,” fullback Mike Cox said. “We’re more focused on winning now. Last year, we were just trying to find some motivation.”

That speaks to the difference between this season and last year for the Chiefs. That distinction isn’t as significant for Charles.

He got an earlier start on 1,000 yards this year, so he’s second in the NFL in rushing with 1,021 yards. A rushing title is possible, though he’s 209 yards behind the leader, Houston’s Arian Foster, who has played one more game than Charles.

“I don’t want to stop at a thousand,” Charles said. “I want to keep it going. A thousand yards is not enough for me.”

Foster gets the ball much more often than Charles — 85 times, to be exact. As long as Charles shares the featured back position with Thomas Jones, who has 15 more carries but 300 fewer yards than Charles, his path toward a rushing title will be stunted.

Jones, meanwhile, needs 288 rushing yards over the final five games to get to 1,000 for the sixth straight season.

The Chiefs won’t admit it, but they must be tempted to go with Charles more often than Jones. Charles has been far more effective, averaging 6.3 yards per carry to Jones’ 4.0.

Charles has 32 runs of 10 or more yards and eight of 20 or more, to Jones’ 15 and three.

“We’ve run it effectively with both guys,” offensive coordinator Charlie Weis said. “Jamaal has made a bunch of big plays. He’s one of the leaders in the league in longer runs.

“The productivity of a running back is directly related to how fresh they are. One of the advantages we have right now is we’re in December now, and we have two guys that are both getting a bunch of carries, and the wear and tear that happens to a lot of guys hasn’t shown (for Charles or Jones).

“Very seldom does a running back get to December and feel good. They don’t usually feel fresh at this time. The plan that (Todd Haley) had, along with (running backs coach Maurice Carthon), is paying some positive dividends with those two running backs as far as the utilization and the way we’re going.”

Not that they don’t have a million aches and pains, but neither Jones nor Charles has made an appearance on the weekly injury report the Chiefs must file with the NFL.

It’s easy to view Charles’ season as an extension of last year’s, when he rushed for 968 yards over the final eight games.

The Chiefs aren’t looking at it that way. That’s why they made the signing of Jones a priority in the offseason and why they’re going to doggedly stick to their plan, even though Charles rushed for 173 yards and Jones for 68 in last week’s win in Seattle.

“We’ve had a plan here that we’re really excited about,” Haley said. “You can look at that game last week, and you saw some really good inside running (from Charles). I think to keep from becoming too predictable, it is very important that Jamaal can run well inside and Thomas can run well outside and we don’t just say, ‘Well, this one does that and the other one does this.’ I think in that game, you saw Jamaal run very well inside.

“When you see someone come on strong like (Charles) last year, it’s easy to say, ‘Well, he was great, so where the heck was he?’ This has been a development for Jamaal.”

Broncos at Chiefs
•WHEN/WHERE: Noon Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium

•TV/RADIO: Chs. 5, 13; KCFX (101.1 FM)

Earthling
12-04-2010, 06:06 AM
:thumb:

bevischief
12-04-2010, 06:52 AM
200 yards for him on Sunday!

Rausch
12-04-2010, 07:03 AM
85 more carries is like playing in 3 to 4 more games.

That's fucking insane...

Buehler445
12-04-2010, 07:03 AM
That's because he's a BAD ASS MOTHERFUCKER.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave
12-04-2010, 07:59 AM
He probably would have shattered the record if he had most of the carries early on.

KcFaNiNJerZeY
12-04-2010, 08:24 AM
Charles looks like he could go to 2,000 if he wasn't sharing the load, but then again if he wasn't sharing then he might possibly be worn out this point in the season. You think Charles is a back that could carry the rock 20-25 times a game every game?

mesmith31
12-04-2010, 08:33 AM
What I love about the approach to building this team is that they have implemented strategies that are based upon an EXPECTATION of success. They planned on being here in December, in contention. They planned on taking advantage of the weather and Arrowhead to run, run, run. And knowing this the reason they brought in T. Jones in the offseason to make this happen.

I would not doubt at all if the rise in passing during the month of December was strictly to

A.) Rest the backs for December

and

B.) force teams to gameplan for something that wasn't going to be a focus in the final 5 weeks.

You don't buy insurance on a piece of sh*t car that is going to sit in your back yard....

Marcellus
12-04-2010, 08:43 AM
Charles needs more carries. At least these next 5 games.

Haley has laid the groundwork for a great stretch run for Charles.

Chiefless
12-04-2010, 08:48 AM
As frustrating as it is to watch sometimes, I like what they are doing with Jones and Charles. Weis is dead about the fact that they run the same plays with both backs. Defenses absolutely can't say "good, jones is in so we don't have to worry about them running wide," etc.

Also, watching the games, it's like they use Jones as ankle-weights. They will use him for 2-3 series and the running game looks pedestrian running at 2-3 yards a pop. Then they bring in Charles to run the same plays for 8-10 yards a pop. The defense gets to the point of attack at the time Jones would be there only Charles is already past them or gives them a little twitch and he's GONE. It seems they use Jones early to take the early, adrenaline-laden beating to set up Charles after the D settles in.

mesmith31
12-04-2010, 08:54 AM
As frustrating as it is to watch sometimes, I like what they are doing with Jones and Charles. Weis is dead about the fact that they run the same plays with both backs. Defenses absolutely can't say "good, jones is in so we don't have to worry about them running wide," etc.

Also, watching the games, it's like they use Jones as ankle-weights. They will use him for 2-3 series and the running game looks pedestrian running at 2-3 yards a pop. Then they bring in Charles to run the same plays for 8-10 yards a pop. The defense gets to the point of attack at the time Jones would be there only Charles is already past them or gives them a little twitch and he's GONE. It seems they use Jones early to take the early, adrenaline-laden beating to set up Charles after the D settles in.

Great analogy...here is hoping that Jones' new nickname "Ankle Weights" sticks!

beach tribe
12-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Good job splitting their carries early in the season. I fully expect Charles to get carries 2-1 over Jones from here on out.
As for the both RBs being fresh thing, Thomas Jones is looking every bit of his age here lately.

Deberg_1990
12-04-2010, 08:56 AM
He probably would have shattered the record if he had most of the carries early on.

I know im in the minority, but i think the Chiefs are using him perfectly. Hes built too slight to withstand 25 to 30 carries a game. By using TJ, they basically give him 10-12 snaps of rest. Over the course of a season, that extra rest will pay dividends for a back like him. Keep him from slowing down.

That doesnt even count his touches with his catches.

beach tribe
12-04-2010, 08:58 AM

I've thought about this as well. Also the Defenses at the end of games, seem to be worn out by the running game, and Charles looks very fresh.
I would imagine that will also hold true to the fatigue endured over the course of a season. Charles very well could have another year end tear like last seasons in store.

beach tribe
12-04-2010, 09:00 AM
I know im in the minority, but i think the Chiefs are using him perfectly. Hes built too slight to withstand 25 to 30 carries a game. By using TJ, they basically give him 10-12 snaps of rest. Over the course of a season, that extra rest will pay dividends for a back like him. Keep him from slowing down.

It could also ensure that he's a home run hitter until he's 30.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Good job splitting their carries early in the season. I fully expect Charles to get carries 2-1 over Jones from here on out.
As for the both RBs being fresh thing, Thomas Jones is looking every bit of his age here lately.

Yeah I agree. I think they did this on purpose because they knew TJ would eventually wear down a bit. For the past month Charles' carries and overall touches have gone up.

BigMeatballDave
12-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Funny how we were all bitching about JC not getting the carries early in the season.

Turns out Haley and Weis knew exactly what they were doing.

DaFace
12-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Funny how we were all bitching about JC not getting the carries early in the season.

I tend to agree. It's easy to go all "homer" at times like this, so I try and temper my optimism, but it really seems like Haley (and the entire crew) have a long-term view in everything they do. They (seemingly) rested DMC because they wanted to make sure he was 100%. Sounds like Flowers is in the same camp. The slowly progressing game plan with Cassel. The splitting of carries between our RB's...

If nothing else, this season has made me thrilled about the future because I'm convinced that Haley was the right choice for coach. We've still got a ways to go in terms of player personnel, but having a good coach is a giant leap in the right direction.

SPATCH
12-04-2010, 10:45 AM
I tend to agree. It's easy to go all "homer" at times like this, so I try and temper my optimism, but it really seems like Haley (and the entire crew) have a long-term view in everything they do. They (seemingly) rested DMC because they wanted to make sure he was 100%. Sounds like Flowers is in the same camp. The slowly progressing game plan with Cassel. The splitting of carries between our RB's...

If nothing else, this season has made me thrilled about the future because I'm convinced that Haley was the right choice for coach. We've still got a ways to go in terms of player personnel, but having a good coach is a giant leap in the right direction.

As our offense has become more legitimate, we've seen a decrease in the reckless-ass fourth down calls and surprise onside kicks...

Maybe we're giving Haley and co. too much credit, but it almost seems as if they knew that, as they brought Cassel along, they could use some little gimics to help us win games :shrug:

Mr. Laz
12-04-2010, 11:31 AM
or he would be hurt and not getting any carries right now

they seem to be trying to keep Charles at around 15 carries and 5 receptions a game.

just about right imo

his low was 10 carries against the raiders
his high has been 22 carries which he's done twice(seattle,Bills)

Rausch
12-04-2010, 11:35 AM

Since they started winning and quit playing like ASS even in wins...

Rausch
12-04-2010, 11:36 AM
or he would be hurt and not getting any carries right now

This.

I say change nothing until the playoffs.

If we make the playoffs run him until he fucking quits or dies...

HighChief
12-04-2010, 12:23 PM
As our offense has become more legitimate, we've seen a decrease in the reckless-ass fourth down calls and surprise onside kicks...

Maybe we're giving Haley and co. too much credit, but it almost seems as if they knew that, as they brought Cassel along, they could use some little gimics to help us win games :shrug:

Ya i thought we were getting a little happy with the 4th down stuff as well. But i would rather it be like it is now then like it was under herm where a D knew they were off the field if they held on 3rd and short.

I think the NFL is turning into a go for it on 4th down league and we are ahead of the curve.

I think we have something special with our leadership from top to bottom!

:kc: Go Chiefs!

HemiEd
12-04-2010, 12:42 PM

I agree 100%, typical CP, fantastic success is not good enough, we know better dammit! Those coaches are morans!

Jethopper
12-04-2010, 12:51 PM
What he is doing now is working. Don't fix it if it aint broke.

Rausch
12-04-2010, 12:55 PM
What he is doing now is working. Don't fix it if it aint broke.

:bravo:

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clapping.gif

stevieray
12-04-2010, 01:03 PM

refreshing, ain't it?

kcfanXIII
12-04-2010, 01:03 PM
i've been saying all along that JC needs to be kept fresh. his speed is a big part of his running style. going into december and january, having a back like charles with a fresh set of legs will benefit the chiefs in the form of wins. i know its been frustrating watching jones try to run the ball, and seeing him do it more then JC, but lets not act like its some no name back, with no talent getting JC's touches. i fully expect us to see more of jamal down the stretch run.

stevieray
12-04-2010, 01:10 PM
i've been saying all along that JC needs to be kept fresh. his speed is a big part of his running style. going into december and january, having a back like charles with a fresh set of legs will benefit the chiefs in the form of wins. i know its been frustrating watching jones try to run the ball, and seeing him do it more then JC, but lets not act like its some no name back, with no talent getting JC's touches. i fully expect us to see more of jamal down the stretch run.

I said something awhile back about using them both so they would explode when defenses were starting to wear down in the last qtr of the season.

Agree on Jones. It's a decent one two punch.

Rain Man
12-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Jamaal Charles needs more carries in the Super Bowl.

Halfcan
12-04-2010, 03:06 PM
200 yards for him on Sunday!

:drool: That would pretty much be a win for us if that happens!!

Pioli Zombie
12-04-2010, 03:12 PM
The Chiefs have handled this beautifully. And they will have 2 backs with 1,000 yards. How often has that happened? Csonka and Morris. Simpson and Braxton. Harris and Blier. Byner and Mack. Any others?
Charles has been this effective because his carries were limited. Unless people want another LJ experience I don't see how their can be any complaints.

Halfcan
12-04-2010, 03:15 PM
JC is the best RB in the NFL-yep I said it and the stats back it up.

Rain Man
12-04-2010, 03:54 PM
The Chiefs have handled this beautifully. And they will have 2 backs with 1,000 yards. How often has that happened? Csonka and Morris. Simpson and Braxton. Harris and Blier. Byner and Mack. Any others?
Charles has been this effective because his carries were limited. Unless people want another LJ experience I don't see how their can be any complaints.

I remember some reference a couple of weeks ago by an announcer that it's either been done seven times or Charles and Jones have a chance to be the seventh. I don't remember exactly.

By the way, Simpson and Braxton don't fall into that category. You made me curious enough to look it up, because I never remembered Braxton as a runner at all He did have over 800 yards in 1975, though.

Did Okoye and Word do it one year? Not sure. I'm trying to remember other good combinations. Brooks and Muncie in SD? Bettis and someone in Pit? Cunningham and someone that one year in NE when they set the season rushing record? I don't think Riggins and Joe Washington did it. Did Craig and Watters ever play together in SF? Alstott and Dunn?

I could probably look it up, I guess, but that's too much trouble.

-King-
12-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams a year or two ago.

Pioli Zombie
12-04-2010, 04:08 PM
When the Patriots set the team rushing record in 1978 it was something like 800 yards for Cunningham, 700 for Andy Johnson, 700 for Don Calhoun, 400 for Horace Ivory, and 400 Steve Grogan. Very spread around. If it wasn't Braxton it was another one of his RB partners. In 1973 the Bills went over 3,000 yards. Simpson had 2,003 and the other guy I thought had 1,000. Guh. I'll look it up.

Pioli Zombie
12-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Ok looked it up. 6 times its been done.
1972 Csonka and Morris
1976 Harris and Blier
1985 Mack and Byner
2004 Vick and Dunn
2008 Jacobs and Ward
2009 Stewart and Williams
Williams was 2nd on the team with 1117 and of all the 2nd dudes he was the highest so if Jones can get 406 yards over the last 5 games the Chiefs be the first team in history with two rushers with at least 1118 yards.
No applause please.

bowener
12-04-2010, 04:52 PM
1972 Csonka and Morris
1976 Harris and Blier
1985 Mack and Byner
2004 Vick and Dunn
2008 Jacobs and Ward
Williams was 2nd on the team with 1117 and of all the 2nd dudes he was the highest so if Jones can get 406 yards over the last 5 games the Chiefs be the first team in history with two rushers with at least 1118 yards.
No applause please.

Jones won't be doing that. I would rather see Charles break 1600 yards, than Charles and Jones both go over the 1118 yard mark.

digger
12-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Fastest to 1,100 ever!

BigRock
12-04-2010, 05:02 PM
I have no idea why this hasn't been picked up on as a significant story, but Charles said after last week's game that he was "starting" to feel good. Which is different than saying he's fresher because he hasn't had as many carries. To me, saying that he's "starting" to feel good would imply rather strongly that he wasn't feeling good before.

Obviously that puts the whole "CHARLES NEEDS MORE CARRIES~!" thing in a new light. But even bigger than that, it means Charles is primed to kick some ass in the coming weeks.

JASONSAUTO
12-04-2010, 05:03 PM
They did what's right.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave
12-04-2010, 05:07 PM
JC, healthy in a full season, would fucking wreck some NFL rushing records.

Pioli Zombie
12-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Why would you want Charles to break 1,600 more than having 2 1,000 yard rushers. The Chiefs just had a guy rush for over 1,700 yards twice. How about Bowe getting to 20 TDs?

bowener
12-04-2010, 06:55 PM
Why would you want Charles to break 1,600 more than having 2 1,000 yard rushers. The Chiefs just had a guy rush for over 1,700 yards twice. How about Bowe getting to 20 TDs?

Check my name. Definitely want Bowe to get 20 TDs.

Don't get me wrong, it would be cool for TJ to hit 1118, but watching him do that will be painful... and eat up a shit load of carries for Charles, and that means eat up a shit load of chances for big gains, scores, and wins. Let's face it, Jones is the battering ram that goes 3 or 4 yards, 20 times a game, while Charles can gain 50+ yards on 5 carries (or 175+ on ~20 carries).

I guess what I am saying is, don't change a ****ing thing, and let the ****ers run until other teams shit blood and cry for mercy.

edit:
Oh, and the more yards Charles gets the more likely he is to get to the pro bowl. I know the PB doesn't mean much anymore, but it would be cool to see him go, he deserves it.

KChiefs1
12-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Charles doesn't need more carries...why change something that is working.

We need Charles healthy for the playoffs.

salame
12-04-2010, 07:34 PM
I want bowe to get 26 touchdowns

tk13
12-04-2010, 07:48 PM
I think they've done a great job. That's the thing, it's not like Thomas Jones has looked liked LJ out there. He's done a solid job. It's just hard to be patient when you see what Charles does out there. But you can't give to him every time... like last week we nearly ran it 50 times. Somebody else has to carry the ball. But I think they've handled it well. I think our offense seems to really hit a rhythm as the game goes on when we mix it up more.

trndobrd
12-04-2010, 08:37 PM
More of Jones runs have been up the gut, and he has gotten a lot of tough yards. As much as I enjoy seeing Charles rip off a 15 yard run, Jones contribution to this year's success can't be underestimated.

Perhaps more importantly, the players and coaches have handled the situation perfectly. No complaints about carries, texts, 'diapers' or nachos. Just a coaching staff with a plan and some talented professionals executing and being good teammates.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
12-04-2010, 08:52 PM
I want bowe to get 26 touchdowns

On a regular basis. :thumb:

the Talking Can
12-04-2010, 08:56 PM
i kinda hope we pick up another back in the 5th or so...battle is meh, jones is getting older, and we've been very lucky with injuries...

Rain Man
12-04-2010, 08:56 PM
1972 Csonka and Morris
1976 Harris and Blier
1985 Mack and Byner
2004 Vick and Dunn
2008 Jacobs and Ward
No applause please.

Clap cla-

Oh. Sorry.

GloryDayz
12-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Despite sharing carries, Chiefs’ Charles in sight of NFL rushing title (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/12/03/2496176/chiefs-charles-in-sight-of-nfl.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The milestone sneaked up on the Chiefs and caught them by surprise. They were on the verge of finishing off the Seattle Seahawks early in the fourth quarter last week when Jamaal Charles’ otherwise unremarkable 4-yard run put him over 1,000 yards for the second straight season.

Unlike last year, when the Chiefs made it a goal to get Charles over 1,000 yards in the season’s final game, this year’s event passed with little fanfare.

“I didn’t realize it until my wife said something about it before the game, that Jamaal was almost to a thousand,” fullback Mike Cox said. “We’re more focused on winning now. Last year, we were just trying to find some motivation.”

That speaks to the difference between this season and last year for the Chiefs. That distinction isn’t as significant for Charles.

He got an earlier start on 1,000 yards this year, so he’s second in the NFL in rushing with 1,021 yards. A rushing title is possible, though he’s 209 yards behind the leader, Houston’s Arian Foster, who has played one more game than Charles.

“I don’t want to stop at a thousand,” Charles said. “I want to keep it going. A thousand yards is not enough for me.”

Foster gets the ball much more often than Charles — 85 times, to be exact. As long as Charles shares the featured back position with Thomas Jones, who has 15 more carries but 300 fewer yards than Charles, his path toward a rushing title will be stunted.

Jones, meanwhile, needs 288 rushing yards over the final five games to get to 1,000 for the sixth straight season.

The Chiefs won’t admit it, but they must be tempted to go with Charles more often than Jones. Charles has been far more effective, averaging 6.3 yards per carry to Jones’ 4.0.

Charles has 32 runs of 10 or more yards and eight of 20 or more, to Jones’ 15 and three.

“We’ve run it effectively with both guys,” offensive coordinator Charlie Weis said. “Jamaal has made a bunch of big plays. He’s one of the leaders in the league in longer runs.

“The productivity of a running back is directly related to how fresh they are. One of the advantages we have right now is we’re in December now, and we have two guys that are both getting a bunch of carries, and the wear and tear that happens to a lot of guys hasn’t shown (for Charles or Jones).

“Very seldom does a running back get to December and feel good. They don’t usually feel fresh at this time. The plan that (Todd Haley) had, along with (running backs coach Maurice Carthon), is paying some positive dividends with those two running backs as far as the utilization and the way we’re going.”

Not that they don’t have a million aches and pains, but neither Jones nor Charles has made an appearance on the weekly injury report the Chiefs must file with the NFL.

It’s easy to view Charles’ season as an extension of last year’s, when he rushed for 968 yards over the final eight games.

The Chiefs aren’t looking at it that way. That’s why they made the signing of Jones a priority in the offseason and why they’re going to doggedly stick to their plan, even though Charles rushed for 173 yards and Jones for 68 in last week’s win in Seattle.

“We’ve had a plan here that we’re really excited about,” Haley said. “You can look at that game last week, and you saw some really good inside running (from Charles). I think to keep from becoming too predictable, it is very important that Jamaal can run well inside and Thomas can run well outside and we don’t just say, ‘Well, this one does that and the other one does this.’ I think in that game, you saw Jamaal run very well inside.

“When you see someone come on strong like (Charles) last year, it’s easy to say, ‘Well, he was great, so where the heck was he?’ This has been a development for Jamaal.”

Broncos at Chiefs
•WHEN/WHERE: Noon Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium

•TV/RADIO: Chs. 5, 13; KCFX (101.1 FM)

Your avatar is hot!

bowener
12-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Your avatar is hot!

That's his daughter. He is quite proud.