PDA

View Full Version : Computers Attention AVG Anti-Virus users

pr_capone
12-04-2010, 09:02 AM
In case anyone here has been affected.

AVG update sends computers into limbo
On Wednesday night AVG pushed an update for its popular anti-virus product, however instead of enhancing and correcting bugs for the program, it left 64-bit versions of Windows 7 and Vista inoperable.

The update (3292) when applied, asks users to reboot their computers, and upon loading up Windows again, the victims are confronted with the dreaded Blue Screen of Death (BSoD). Even in Safe Mode the same scenario plays out, preventing users from gaining the ability to restore their systems without using a Windows install DVD.

Users have retaliated against AVG on the company's forums, and are simply wondering how something of this magnitude slip by quality control. One user tracked it to the failed loading of a file, "\Windows\System 32\DRIVERS\AVGIDSEH.SYS," causing computers to get stuck in a reboot-loop. Those without the ability to use a System Restore point, from either not keeping them or not having the Windows installation DVD are finding that they need to reinstall.

Both versions of AVG are affected, free and subscription-based. While initially AVG moderators were more concerned about policies regarding their product than attempting to help, AVG has now updated their userbase in a blog post on what to do if you're affected, offering three points of assistance:

http://www.neowin.net/news/avg-update-sends-computers-into-limbo

ArrowheadHawk
12-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Lol. Time to switch to avast or avira.

Fish
12-04-2010, 09:50 AM
AVG has been in a downward spiral for some time...

DaFace
12-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Whoops. At least it only affects a relatively small segment of their userbase (Win7 64-bit).

Bane
12-04-2010, 10:06 AM
BWAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAA! /Mac users

KC Jones
12-04-2010, 10:21 AM
I never thought I'd use a MS anti-virus product, but their Security Essentials is actually quite good and has been getting solid reviews. It's free, and there's no nagware or limitations like some of the other free alternatives.

Still almost any of the free ones are better than McAfee's piece of shit.

Brainiac
12-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks for posting this. I run AVG free edition on several computers around here, one of which is a laptop running 64-bit Windows 7. I'm not sure why that laptop wasn't affected.

After reading the AVG forum, I've removed AVG from all of my computers. That is a horrific blunder, and to make it worse, their asshole moderator responded to the first guy who reported the error with an incredibly unhelpful and stupid comment.

I'll never use AVG anti-virus software again.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
12-04-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm so glad I use F-Prot.

Priest31kc
12-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Lol. Time to switch to avast or avira.

This. Love Avast.

ChiefsCountry
12-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Go use Microsoft Secruity Essentials. Its pretty darn good.

alnorth
12-04-2010, 11:55 AM
heh. To anyone out there searching for another anti-virus software, I use ESET's NOD32 (http://www.eset.com/home/nod32-antivirus). It is not free, but it is one of the leanest (http://www.eset.com/home/compare-eset-to-competition/speed), most unobtrusive, and effective (http://www.eset.com/home/compare-eset-to-competition) AV's out there. It isn't popular with consumers, but a lot of companies and governments use it.

The popular antivirus software is usually crap due to the race to have more checkboxes on the back of the box bragging about more features and doing more things than the competition. You don't want your antivirus software to do everything from give stock tips to buttering your toast, the more your antivirus is doing, the more resources it takes away. Antivirus programs should be lean, effective, and do nothing more than what you need.

BigMeatballDave
12-04-2010, 12:05 PM
I was using the Free AVG. It stopped updating so I switched to Avast.

BigMeatballDave
12-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Go use Microsoft Secruity Essentials. Its pretty darn good.Complete garbage. I tried that a yr ago and got a bug. It didnt even know I had a virus.

chiefzilla1501
12-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Holy shit. Talk about timing. I literally downloaded AVG and was running it 5 minutes ago. Thanks for the tip.

pr_capone
12-04-2010, 02:23 PM
I am using 64-bit Windows 7 and I am not having any issues at all.

Check for updates. Let us know how it works out when you get your computer running again. :p

philfree
12-04-2010, 02:25 PM

I'm using 7 here at home and I've not had a problem. I had an update but when I unchecked the toolbar option there was nothing to install and it went away. So basically don't install that update. Are they still putting out at this point? You'd think they'd stop that ASAP.

PhilFree:arrow:

bobbymitch
12-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Guess it's a good thing that I am still using XP huh?

Pushead2
12-04-2010, 02:38 PM

same here, never had a problem with AVG & has always caught threats before Essentials / Malwarebytes.

Pushead2
12-04-2010, 02:41 PM
If you look on their website it tells you that if you didn't download the update and then reboot since Wednesday, you will be ok. They have since taken the update off..

Yeah I updated this morning & everything is running smooth.

alnorth
12-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Guess it's a good thing that I am still using XP huh?

No, not really. Windows XP will not be supported much longer, and Windows 7 is one of the greatest versions of windows ever made.

Spott
12-04-2010, 03:03 PM
I have been getting those updates my laptop lately. I guess it's a good thing I request XP on there.

pr_capone
12-04-2010, 03:11 PM
No, not really. Windows XP will not be supported much longer, and Windows 7 is one of the greatest versions of windows ever made.

whole heartedly agree. The last time I was this impressed by a new OS was when I made the jump from Win 98 to Windows 2k. Windows 2k was by far my most favorite of the Microsoft GUIs until Win 7 was released.

splatbass
12-04-2010, 05:21 PM

LMAO

ChiTown
12-04-2010, 05:57 PM

Computer smack? Really? Isn't that for relegated for guys who are hung with 1 millimeter peters? NTTAWWT

DRU
12-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Go use Microsoft Secruity Essentials. Its pretty darn good.

Exactly. It's built by Microsoft, designed for their own products, and it's free. They just can't include it within Windows itself or they'd find themselves in the court rooms again.