PDA

View Full Version : Life Steak Tartare

BIG_DADDY
12-05-2010, 12:28 AM
To anchovy or not to anchovy, that is the question. I have never used them and most likely will not unless somebody convinces me otherwise.

Chop not grind obviously.

Do you use Conac/Brandy? I liked this BTW.

The whole high end real French dijon thing. I have never tried it so i don't know if it really makes a difference.

Anything out of left field that is an unorthadox approach as a reccommendation is welcome.

I preffer thinly sliced seasoned and toasted baguettes but am open to ideas there as well. Just tossing it around. Kind of in a rut here and would like to take it up a notch.

englander
12-05-2010, 12:36 AM
What is the occasion that you would to serve tar tare?

BIG_DADDY
12-05-2010, 12:39 AM
Well I eat it all the time I was just looking to pick it up a notch and serve some on christmas eve night. Party of 8-10. Something cool.

englander
12-05-2010, 12:53 AM
May I recommend a Salmon tar-tare? Do a terrine of salmon with aspic. Make your baguettes garlic and anchovy, butter and capers, peppercorn and olives.

BigOlChiefsfan
12-05-2010, 12:53 AM
I like it - and beef carpaccio. Try this Alton Brown recipe (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/beef-carpaccio-recipe/index.html) sometime

BIG_DADDY
12-05-2010, 01:10 AM
I like it - and beef carpaccio. Try this Alton Brown recipe (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/beef-carpaccio-recipe/index.html) sometime

I do carpaccio all the time. Here is a kicker for you. I got this from a guy who owns a really high end Italian restaurant. If you have a great butcher call him30 minutes before you arrive. Have him put the eye of the round in the freezer. When you arrive have him pull it out and cut it paper thin. Freezing the meat for 30 allows it stiffen up to do this. A spash of lemon juice breaks that down and makes almost undisguishable from a filet. Prepare your favorite way from there. Saves you a boatload especially when entertaining. Your guests will think you spent the bank and I can guarantee they will never notice the difference.

JOhn
12-05-2010, 01:14 AM
Damn this place is looking like a Chargers BB.:shake:

Well it would if they actually had more than one fan.ROFL

BIG_DADDY
12-05-2010, 01:16 AM
May I recommend a Salmon tar-tare? Do a terrine of salmon with aspic. Make your baguettes garlic and anchovy, butter and capers, peppercorn and olives.

I love raw food and eat a lot of sushi/sake. I also smoke a lot of salmon too. Is it really worth the effort considering?

BIG_DADDY
12-05-2010, 01:17 AM
Damn this place is looking like a Chargers BB.:shake:

Well it would if they actually had more than one fan.ROFL

It's a change up after 7,845,963 BBQ threads.

googlegoogle
12-05-2010, 02:45 AM

yes.

raw ground beef with garlic and spices is excellent.

BigMeatballDave
12-05-2010, 02:49 AM
I prefer my beef medium-rare. The only beef I would consider eating raw would be Wagyu/Kobe.

Fried Meat Ball!
12-05-2010, 07:32 AM
Yes, use the anchovies. Anchovies are high in glutamate, which makes beef taste "beefier". Glutamate is one of the amino acids in MSG. When added to beef-based dishes, higher amounts of glutamate will increase that flavor exponentially.

Careful how much you use, though. It doesn't take a lot. Then it'll just taste like anchovies.

I tried this once on a stew recipe from Cook's Illustrated - 3 in a pot of stew - and it was outstanding.

GoTrav
12-05-2010, 07:44 AM
really good in the mid rare try it

BIG_DADDY
12-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Yes, use the anchovies. Anchovies are high in glutamate, which makes beef taste "beefier". Glutamate is one of the amino acids in MSG. When added to beef-based dishes, higher amounts of glutamate will increase that flavor exponentially.

Careful how much you use, though. It doesn't take a lot. Then it'll just taste like anchovies.

I tried this once on a stew recipe from Cook's Illustrated - 3 in a pot of stew - and it was outstanding.

Cool, I just wanted somebody to tell me they tried it and liked it better and why before I spent a bunch of money to destroy a really good thing for the holidays. I'll give it a shot. 1 anchovy per pound about right?

DaneMcCloud
12-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Well I eat it all the time I was just looking to pick it up a notch and serve some on christmas eve night. Party of 8-10. Something cool.

Dude, you if were LA, I'd crash that party.

:D

One of my retirement goals (15 years down the line) is to become a culinary chef, just for my family. I'd love to be able to produce high-end Pan-Asian cuisine at home.

Best of luck and Happy Holidays!

BIG_DADDY
12-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Dude, you if were LA, I'd crash that party.

:D

One of my retirement goals (15 years down the line) is to become a culinary chef, just for my family. I'd love to be able to produce high-end Pan-Asian cuisine at home.

Best of luck and Happy Holidays!

Thanks brother. We should get together one of these day. You are not that far away. I hope to make it down there this coming year to see some potential clients. Maybe a little Fogo de Chao for a nice meat hangover. Then again you know that area best. Wish you and your family all the best as well. Thanks for the kind words.

DaneMcCloud
12-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Thanks brother. We should get together one of these day. You are not that far away. I hope to make it down there this coming year to see some potential clients. Maybe a little Fogo de Chao for a nice meat hangover. Then again you know that area best. Wish you and your family all the best as well. Thanks for the kind words.

I'm definitely in for Fogo (as is my wife!). Our kids are nearly the same age (mine's 2.5 now) and IIRC, both of our wives are Filipina's so it would be an absolutely blast.

Plus, we're LONG overdue. We should try to get in a NBA game as well. One of my bud's is Blake Griffin's agent and while it's not the Lakers, it's NBA.

Be well, old friend!

englander
12-21-2010, 08:41 PM
I love raw food and eat a lot of sushi/sake. I also smoke a lot of salmon too. Is it really worth the effort considering?

Yes. If you have a good fishmonger. It seems that you have a choice of fresh caught. Is this true?

Mr. Laz
12-21-2010, 08:49 PM
i'll take the steak but you can keep the tar tar sauce. :D