PDA

View Full Version : News National Anthem at the Chiefs game today

WebGem
12-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Does anyone have video footage of this? Or at least know who it was?

It went a little something like this:

Oh, say can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
A--Oh gosh.

(nothing)
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the

Props to the people who shot off the Rockets at an unexpected time.

And out of respect for our country I will post the lyrics of the entire part of the basic version you normally hear at the Chiefs game.

Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the ______

Bacon Cheeseburger
12-05-2010, 08:12 PM
That...was awkward. When he went silent for so long, I was wondering if he was even going to bother starting back up again, or say fuck it and walk off of the field.

Rain Man
12-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Since we won, we have to do it exactly the same way next week.

luv
12-05-2010, 08:17 PM
That...was awkward. When he went silent for so long, I was wondering if he was even going to bother starting back up again, or say fuck it and walk off of the field.

I wondered that, too. If you don't know the words, don't be above having them with you.

Deberg_1990
12-05-2010, 08:21 PM
I wondered that, too. If you don't know the words, don't be above having them with you.

IM sure he knew the words....sometimes people just freeze...None of us can really judge until we try to sing the Star Spangled Banner in front of 70,000. Can we?

Hes not the first and most certainly wont be the last.

luv
12-05-2010, 08:22 PM
IM sure he knew the words....sometimes people just freeze...None of us can really judge until we try to sing the Star Spangled Banner in front of 70,000. Can we?

He definitely had a mental block. It would be hard to try to come back from something like that.

WebGem
12-05-2010, 08:23 PM

In a weird sort of way, he (and anyone else who's messed up like that) is the safest bet to have perform it at another event. If you mess up like that once, there's no way in hell you'd do it again without practicing it 500 times right before + taking words with you.

DaFace
12-05-2010, 08:25 PM

I was in choir during college, and a lot of my choir-mates did the SSB for various events around town and campus while I was there. They virtually ALWAYS had the lyrics on a cheat sheet as a "just in case" kind of thing. It's a nerveracking thing to do - especially in that large of a venue.

Bacon Cheeseburger
12-05-2010, 08:26 PM

If he would've just kept his eyes focused on the club level he would've thought he was the only one there.

LiveSteam
12-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Its a very very hard song to sing. & screwing up is easily done The story of national anthem is one of my favorite stories
The Star-Spangled Banner" was recognized for official use by the Navy in 1889 and the President in 1916, and was made the national anthem by a congressional resolution on March 3, 1931 which was signed by President Herbert Hoover.
"The Star-Spangled Banner" is the national anthem of the United States of America. The lyrics come from "Defence of Fort McHenry",[1] a poem written in 1814 by the 35-year-old lawyer and amateur poet, Francis Scott Key, after witnessing the bombardment of Fort McHenry by the British Royal Navy ships in Chesapeake Bay during the Battle of Fort McHenry in the War of 1812.

The poem was set to the tune of a popular British drinking song, written by John Stafford

DBOSHO
12-05-2010, 08:27 PM
I definitely have to see this.

Bacon Cheeseburger
12-05-2010, 08:28 PM
I was in choir during college, and a lot of my choir-mates did the SSB for various events around town and campus while I was there. They virtually ALWAYS had the lyrics on a cheat sheet as a "just in case" kind of thing. It's a nerveracking thing to do - especially in that large of a venue.
I think he forgot where he was at in the song, not sure a cheat sheet would really help much in that situation.

CoMoChief
12-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Since we won, we have to do it exactly the same way next week.

in SD?

CoMoChief
12-05-2010, 08:32 PM
As a backup plan, you be a man like Bolton is and you write the damn lyrics on your hand. 46 second mark.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MZrK_kOk8Lw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MZrK_kOk8Lw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

luv
12-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Don't see anything on youtube yet.

LiveSteam
12-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Yikes Utube It was that bad?

kysirsoze
I posted this in the other National Anthem thread:

I used to sing it at my high school. Once I was grabbed on lik five minute notice to sing it at a wrestling meet. I got two lines in and just flat blanked. It was the most embarassing moment of my life, I think. Luckily wrestling meets were not well attended.

My friend who was a wrestler told me one of the other wrestlers made some joke about it. The coach threatened that he would show me the joker's last match if he didn't cut it out. That made me laugh.

ChiefsCountry
That sucks bc Eli Young Band is actually a damn good country band. Must have had too good of a time at the Beaumont last night.

Dayze
12-05-2010, 08:35 PM
in SD?

that's the tricky part.

First step is to find out where Enrico Pallazzo is staying, and kidnap him. Repalce with the guy who peformed our today.

Bacon Cheeseburger
12-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Yikes Utube It was that bad?
Eh, once he gathered himself, he sang it just fine.

WebGem
12-05-2010, 08:38 PM
If he would've just kept his eyes focused on the club level he would've thought he was the only one there.

ROFL

luv
12-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Eh, once he gathered himself, he sang it just fine.

What he sang of it.

pr_capone
12-05-2010, 08:48 PM
What he sang of it.

exactly... he skipped a large chunk and just got to the end.

weaksauce

Demonpenz
12-05-2010, 09:15 PM
thats why I just have 1.) airwolf 2.) 3.) ms paint your life on my hands just in cause I forget what to post

Mojo Jojo
12-05-2010, 09:26 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5QkZyT0bvRw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5QkZyT0bvRw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Bacon Cheeseburger
12-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Good lord, make sure you turn your volume down before "home of the CHIEFS".

LiveSteam
12-05-2010, 09:41 PM
wow

chasedude
12-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Good lord, make sure you turn your volume down before "home of the CHIEFS".

Well at least it wasn't Roseanne Barr doing it.

Guru
12-05-2010, 09:44 PM
That was embarrassing.

Bacon Cheeseburger
12-05-2010, 09:48 PM
I didn't realize he left two lines out of it when I heard it at the game.

Guru
12-05-2010, 09:49 PM
I didn't realize he left two lines out of it when I heard it at the game.Oh I definitely caught that.:shake:

LaChapelle
12-05-2010, 09:53 PM
It was a moment of silence for the Bronco's season
classy or sarcastic is open for debate

stevieray
12-05-2010, 09:54 PM
That was embarrassing.

ya, I was worried it was some kind of bad luck omen...a most uncomfrotable way to start a game.

whew!

CHENZ A!
12-05-2010, 09:58 PM
get Ida or Curtis

Guru
12-05-2010, 09:58 PM
get Ida or CurtisSorry we missed ya today.

thurman merman
12-05-2010, 10:02 PM

ROFL

DaFace
12-05-2010, 10:03 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5QkZyT0bvRw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5QkZyT0bvRw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Aww...poor guy. That's got to be crushingly embarassing.

thurman merman
12-05-2010, 10:06 PM
As a backup plan, you be a man like Bolton is and you write the damn lyrics on your hand. 46 second mark.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MZrK_kOk8Lw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MZrK_kOk8Lw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

LOL. Awesome.

CHENZ A!
12-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Sorry we missed ya today.

no worries man it's an open invite!

Guru
12-05-2010, 10:23 PM
no worries man it's an open invite!I don't think we were even close to where it was you were. heh.

We will find you one of these games.:thumb:

TinyEvel
12-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Star Spangled boner? (boner = mistake)

WebGem
12-06-2010, 11:53 AM

lmao thanks for posting this

Graystoke
12-06-2010, 11:59 AM
It was very awkward. The fans booed a bit. I felt bad for him, but worse the F15 Fighters had to do a U turn when he started over!
I can hear the message over the radio now.

Tower- Um...the Eli band f***ed up the Anthem..could you do turn around?
F-15 Squad- I don't get paid enough for this shit!

MOhillbilly
12-06-2010, 12:21 PM
I didn't realize he left two lines out of it when I heard it at the game.

awesome:thumb:

Discuss Thrower
12-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Well, at least give him credit for not lip synching. We always kind of assume that most acts fake it just for this reason. props for staying authentic.

gblowfish
12-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Yikes. I felt really bad for the guy. Talk about a Southwest Airlines "Wanna Get Away" moment...

gblowfish
12-06-2010, 12:57 PM
BTW: Take off your hats for the National Anthem, rubes. That means everyone, and every hat.

stevieray
12-06-2010, 12:59 PM
BTW: Take off your hats for the National Anthem, rubes. That means everyone, and every hat.

ya, I hear that...

gman, what did this guy look like? hair pushed back and shades?

MOhillbilly
12-06-2010, 01:11 PM
ya, I hear that...

gman, what did this guy look like? hair pushed back and shades?

Carefull the no hats off during the anthem commies are watchin.

Fish
12-06-2010, 01:25 PM

For some reason, people don't think this applies to stocking caps. Or women who pull their ponytails through there ball caps.

I don't get it...

luv
12-06-2010, 01:26 PM
For some reason, people don't think this applies to stocking caps. Or women who pull their ponytails through there ball caps.

I don't get it...

I always thought ladies didn't have to. I do, but still.

KChiefs1
12-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Who was that?
National recording artist??????

InChiefsHell
12-06-2010, 01:36 PM
I thought ladies can wear the lid, just like indoors too.

I sang the National Anthem last year at a Beef game here in Omaha, and let's face it, it's a small crowd. Maybe 3K. I imagine it would be damn nerve wracking to sing it in front of 70k...

...though, I'd love the opportunity!

gblowfish
12-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Women don't bother me. The guys should all remove their hats. Unless they're Godless, Spineless, Cowardly, America-Hating, Drug Using, Sexual Disease Harboring, unemployment check sucking, loudmouthed lowlife scumbags.

You know...

Jackson County Democrats.

Heh heh heh. I amuse myself.

Off to the DC in 3.......2.......1......

Carlota69
12-06-2010, 01:45 PM
PFT is headlining it right now...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/06/chiefs-fans-destroy-guy-who-destroys-national-anthem/

Deberg_1990
12-06-2010, 01:46 PM
i know im in the minority, but i still think Home of the CHIEFS is disrespectful...

gblowfish
12-06-2010, 01:51 PM
i know im in the minority, but i still think Home of the CHIEFS is disrespectful...

Actually, there's a fair number of Chiefs fans that agree with this. I understand it. I don't yell "Chiefs" out of respect for the "Brave," which included by Dad and his two tours in Korea. But it doesn't bother me that others do yell it.

I don't think the fans mean it as disrespectful in any way. I think visitors might feel that way, since its a "National" anthem.

I haven't questioned Chiefs fan's patriotism since that first game after 9/11. The NY Giants played in Arrowhead, and hundreds of thousands of dollars in disaster relief for NYC was raised from the crowd that day passing around firemen's boots. That was one of the most awesome things that ever happend in Arrowhead and I was never prouder to be a Chiefs fan.

Deberg_1990
12-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Actually, there's a fair number of Chiefs fans that agree with this. I understand it. I don't yell "Chiefs" out of respect for the "Brave," which included by Dad and his two tours in Korea. But it doesn't bother me that others do yell it.

I don't think the fans mean it as disrespectful in any way. I think visitors might feel that way, since its a "National" anthem.

I haven't questioned Chiefs fan's patriotism since that first game after 9/11. The NY Giants played in Arrowhead, and hundreds of thousands of dollars in disaster relief for NYC was raised from the crowd that day passing around firemen's boots. That was one of the most awesome things that ever happend in Arrowhead and I was never prouder to be a Chiefs fan.

I would agree with all this. I would never call anyone out on it. But i choose not to do it when im at a game there.

Graystoke
12-06-2010, 02:04 PM

I was caught off guard on that. I hadn't been to Arrowhead in 20, and I have to agree that it is disrespectful.

Pants
12-06-2010, 02:12 PM

You know what's fucking retarded? When my fellow Jayhawk fans do that in AFH. Seriously, people? What. The. Fuck.

Donger
12-06-2010, 02:45 PM
What about not placing one's hand over one's heart during the anthem?

Kerberos
12-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Chiefs fans destroy guy who destroys national anthem

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 6, 2010, 3:14 PM EST
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/arrowhead.jpg?w=250 There’s nothing quite like a botched national anthem.

Sunday’s effort by someone from the Eli Young Band in Kansas City ranks right up there with the very worst I’ve seen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsrNUtu_CF4). The best part about the clip is how unforgiving the Kansas City crowd is with him.

He screws up the song, and they kill him. (Note one of his buddies tries to whisper him the words.) After some serious awkward silence, the guy starts again, screws it up even more, so the crowd lets him have it even more.

Finally, the poor guy gets to the finish line and he gets a big cheer.
As Americans, we’re forgiving people. (Just try not to screw up the anthem.)

Deberg_1990
12-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Wow, he left out alot..

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country should leave us no more!
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

NewChief
12-06-2010, 04:07 PM
We have to say the Pledge of Allegiance at my school every day. One of the principals (usually) comes over the intercom and does it during morning announcement. Unfortunately, there's a secretary that has to do it sometimes when the principals are all busy. She's screwed up the Pledge of Allegiance twice this year already. It's really mortifying.

Zeke
12-06-2010, 04:14 PM
What about not placing one's hand over one's heart during the anthem?

That's optional.

LocoChiefsFan
12-07-2010, 07:50 PM
http://www.eliyoungband.com/news_d.aspx?nid=7926
Eli says he's sorry!
National Anthem Apology
The Eli Young Band would like to apologize to the fans in attendance at this weekend’s Kansas City Chiefs game, as well as anyone who was offended by the performance. Lead singer Mike Eli has performed the Anthem at numerous sporting events (including the 2010 NCAA Cotton Bowl Classic) and was honored when asked to perform at their fist NFL game at Arrowhead Stadium. Severe technical difficulties combined with nerves threw the singer off track and got the best of him.

“I’d like to apologize to the Kansas City Chiefs and their fans,” said Eli. “I was hoping to give you a better performance. I take singing our National Anthem very seriously and look forward to singing it again in the future. I promise to knock it out of the park the next time!”

wazu
12-07-2010, 08:00 PM
One funny side note: When it was over Cassel walked right out and gave the guy a hug.

stevieray
12-07-2010, 08:01 PM
http://www.eliyoungband.com/news_d.aspx?nid=7926
Eli says he's sorry!
severe technical difficulties?

huh?

DaFace
12-07-2010, 08:06 PM
severe technical difficulties?

huh?

Probably a complete excuse, but if there were some issues right before he was starting to sing (like lots of radio chatter and that type of thing), I could buy that it threw him off his game, so to speak.

stevieray
12-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Probably a complete excuse, but if there were some issues right before he was starting to sing (like lots of radio chatter and that type of thing), I could buy that it threw him off his game, so to speak.
I think it was just a major brain fart.

DaFace
12-07-2010, 08:08 PM
I think it was just a major brain fart.

Most likely.

ChiefsNow
12-29-2010, 08:29 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tyPjVV7brDQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tyPjVV7brDQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Saulbadguy
12-29-2010, 08:43 AM
One funny side note: When it was over Cassel walked right out and gave the guy a hug.

Didn't notice that. That's pretty cool.

InChiefsHell
12-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Didn't notice that. That's pretty cool.

That's just the kind of guy Matt is.:thumb:

gblowfish
12-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Chiefs ought to bring the dude back and let him do it again for the home playoff game.
If he screws it up, let the flyover strafe him.

Hog Farmer
12-29-2010, 03:03 PM
Try singing it while holding on to a 2 foot Boar anaconda !