PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs A look back: Chiefs fans.

Direckshun
12-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Even with today's success, and a home playoff game not too far off on the horizon (Jim Mora be damned), we all know this team is in a rebuilding process.

But we are nearing the light at the end of the tunnel of this rebuild. We have gone through an elderly team in descent, two seasons of ridiculousness and Thigpen. And now we have a season where this team is clearly on the upswing, before next season as we continue our rebuild and REALLY show what we're worth against some great competition.

My point is: we're almost getting there, from the dregs of the rebuild to a completion of it, where we rest with the better teams in the league and begin the true establishment of Pioli's culture and the season-to-season jostle of improvements that make good teams into Super Bowl teams.

My question to you, people who have joined me through this painful but rewarding process:

How do you think Chiefs fans have been through this rebuilding period, compared to other franchises that have had to go through rebuilding periods?

Have we been the great fanbase we are always discussed as being? Do we deserve that mantle? Or have we been fickle and unloyal?

(Keep in mind -- I'm talking about the fanbase AS A WHOLE, not the microcosm of ChiefsPlanet.)

dirk digler
12-05-2010, 10:53 PM
I don't think it is over yet. Petro made a great point this week that most surprise teams that make the playoffs come back to reality the next year.

I just hope everyone is prepared for a letdown next year. Probably 8-8 or worse

Kraus
12-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Herm took a lot out of this franchise's fanbase. I know I gave up my season tickets mid-Herm era. Just wasn't going to pay for that shit. I still have watched almost every game but have only been to a couple games in the last few years.

Props to fans that supported the team through the whole process.

Count Alex's Losses
12-05-2010, 10:59 PM
We only had one blackout, right?

That's not too bad.

2bikemike
12-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Its hard for me to judge the fan base because I live in Enemy Territory. So I gauge fandom from here and what I hear about attendance. Even though there is a lot of bitching and moaning and running down team and players. I would say that we rank pretty high up on Fandom even when the team is lagging. Of course living in Charger land I may have a skewed perception due to the fandom of so called Charger fans.

I do have a concern about how the current labor dipute is going to affect the direction this team is heading.

|Zach|
12-05-2010, 11:06 PM
We only had one blackout, right?

That's not too bad.

Did we? When?

Count Alex's Losses
12-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Did we? When?

Cleveland, wasn't it?

|Zach|
12-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Cleveland, wasn't it?

Road game.

Count Alex's Losses
12-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Road game.

We hosted Cleveland in 09.

http://www.kctv5.com/sports/21997452/detail.html

|Zach|
12-05-2010, 11:12 PM
We hosted Cleveland in 09.

http://www.kctv5.com/sports/21997452/detail.html

Oh, I thought you were talking about this year.

I didn't think we actually got blacked out the past few years. But I could absolutely be wrong.

KCChiefsFan88
12-05-2010, 11:13 PM
The problem with the Chiefs rebuilding from the ancient Vermeil-era teams was the fact Herm/Dictator Carl were doing the initial rebuilding.

It took a year of Pioli essentially cleaning out the roster to get the Chiefs rebuilding on track and to the point where they are at now.

ChiefsCountry
12-05-2010, 11:20 PM
The problem with the Chiefs rebuilding from the ancient Vermeil-era teams was the fact Herm/Dictator Carl were doing the initial rebuilding.

It took a year of Pioli essentially cleaning out the roster to get the Chiefs rebuilding on track and to the point where they are at now.

Hmm our best players are from Herm's drafting:
Bowe
Charles
Flowers
Hali
Dorsey
Albert
Carr
Richardson

2bikemike
12-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Bowe
Charles
Flowers
Hali
Dorsey
Albert
Carr
Richardson

Most of them underperformed until Haley took over.

KCChiefsFan88
12-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Bowe
Charles
Flowers
Hali
Dorsey
Albert
Carr
Richardson

Bowe was an overweight underachiever under Herm, Charles was a third down back behind Dictator Carl's beloved LJ, Hali was an Eric Hicks clone in Herm's 4-3, Dorsey and Albert were eating themselves out of the league...

Herm and Dictator Carl deserve credit for drafting, but certainly not developing these players.

Dave Lane
12-05-2010, 11:24 PM

Dude enough of this ancient Vermiel Urban Legend. The team was good and had plenty of talented players that are still playing now. Herm was a moron that didnt know talent for shit. Cant remember the guys name they brought in to do the drafts in 2007 but he made a world of difference.

jjchieffan
12-05-2010, 11:24 PM

Pioli cleared out the roster? Really??? Let's see. Hali, Flowers, Carr, DJ, Dorsey, Bowe, Charles, Waters, were Carl and Herm/Vermeil guys and are the biggest part of this teams turn around. Don't get me wrong, I was thrilled to see Herm and Carl go, but the core of our current team came from them. Pioli and Haley took a huge step with this years draft, and will hopefully do even more next season, but we would not be competitive without the Carl and Herm/Vermeil players I mentioned.

stevieray
12-05-2010, 11:25 PM
by the time Carl left, the fan base was emotionally abused and bunrt out and some just flat out pissed off...I think that's part of the reason some just won't take the plunge and think it's different this time....snake bit.

it's coming back around..slowly.

Brock
12-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Pioli cleared out the roster? Really??? Let's see. Hali, Flowers, Carr, DJ, Dorsey, Bowe, Charles, Waters, were Carl and Herm/Vermeil guys and are the biggest part of this teams turn around. Don't get me wrong, I was thrilled to see Herm and Carl go, but the core of our current team came from them. Pioli and Haley took a huge step with this years draft, and will hopefully do even more next season, but we would not be competitive without the Carl and Herm/Vermeil players I mentioned.

Can you imagine how good this team would be if Vermeil had had even a couple of good drafts?

Fritz88
12-05-2010, 11:49 PM
We have 4 games left that we could potentially lose. Unless we add some talnet in key areas this offseason, we might be in for a let down next year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brock
12-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Probably won't have to worry about it until 2012.