PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports The Annual KC might be getting a NBA team

Chocolate Hog
12-06-2010, 01:10 AM
http://twitter.com/chrismannixsi

Ian Thomsen reported KC, Anaheim and Chicago are in the mix if relocation is the ultimate call. Kansas City is interesting.

DaneMcCloud
12-06-2010, 01:12 AM
KC don't want no thugs

Chocolate Hog
12-06-2010, 01:13 AM
KC don't want no thugs

I went to the Heat/Thunder preseason game here it was boring as fuck to be honest I don't see whats so great about having an NBA team other than it gives you something to follow during the football off season.

Silock
12-06-2010, 01:19 AM
Pre-season games are hardly a measure by which you should judge the product. The NBA product is far and away better than the college ball in terms of skill. Doesn't beat the passion of college ball, though, which is one of the big reasons for going to the games.

That aside, it's a revenue generator, so I'm all for it.

DaneMcCloud
12-06-2010, 01:20 AM
Pre-season games are hardly a measure by which you should judge the product. The NBA product is far and away better than the college ball in terms of skill. Doesn't beat the passion of college ball, though, which is one of the big reasons for going to the games.

That aside, it's a revenue generator, so I'm all for it.

The NBA is all about the playoffs.

Everyone in an NBA city knows this is true.

Crush
12-06-2010, 01:22 AM
One advantage the NBA has over the NFL is the fact that the officials are blatantly corrupt. There is no second guessing. They make it perfectly clear that they are going to take you back to Russell's old room.

DaneMcCloud
12-06-2010, 01:22 AM
One advantage the NBA has over the NFL is the fact that the officials are blatantly corrupt. There is no second guessing. They make it perfectly clear that they are going to take you back to Russell's old room.

This sounds like an "inside story" that virtually none of us want to hear

Chocolate Hog
12-06-2010, 01:23 AM

Do you go to any Kings games? Honestly I'd rather have hockey. I loved the blades games and that was just shitty minor league.

Crush
12-06-2010, 01:25 AM
Do you go to any Kings games? Honestly I'd rather have hockey. I loved the blades games and that was just shitty minor league.

I'd rather have hockey too. I really want to go to an NHL playoff game before I am dead and gone.

Chocolate Hog
12-06-2010, 01:28 AM
I'd rather have hockey too. I really want to go to an NHL playoff game before I am dead and gone.

Yea those have to be the closest thing to an Arrowhead stadium atmosphere. The thing about getting the Hornets would be Chris Paul already wants to go to New York he wouldn't stay here and then it's just like having the Royals.

-King-
12-06-2010, 01:33 AM
So Chicago would get a second team or L.A would essentially get a 3rd? I don't see how in the hell we wouldn't get the team if it came down to these 3 choices.

And NBA > NHL all day every day.

Huffman83
12-06-2010, 01:47 AM
I'm all for KC having an NBA team...I'm just not to interested in a franchise that's already moved once and went to a market that does have a great sports atmosphere in N.O.

And when I think of the Hornets....I think of this.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VwGnE3bnYkA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VwGnE3bnYkA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

DaneMcCloud
12-06-2010, 01:51 AM

Occasionally. I used to go to Blades games in KC before I moved out West but quite honestly, it just didn't speak to me.

I played basketball and used to go to Kings games all the time in KC. TV really downplays and zeros out NBA talent.

There is nothing I've ever experienced that even comes close to seeing 6'6 to 7'2 men gliding up and down the floor like gazelles like the NBA. I took my bro a few years back (he lives in KC and was visiting) and he couldn't believe how graceful and fast these guys are in person.

I'm sorry but people that equate or elevate college basketball over the NBA based on television are missing out.

pkane
12-06-2010, 02:25 AM
Occasionally. I used to go to Blades games in KC before I moved out West but quite honestly, it just didn't speak to me.

I played basketball and used to go to Kings games all the time in KC. TV really downplays and zeros out NBA talent.

There is nothing I've ever experienced that even comes close to seeing 6'6 to 7'2 men gliding up and down the floor like gazelles like the NBA. I took my bro a few years back (he lives in KC and was visiting) and he couldn't believe how graceful and fast these guys are in person.

I'm sorry but people that equate or elevate college basketball over the NBA based on television are missing out.

I for one cannot stand the NBA, but I went to an OKC thunder game over Thanksgiving and I must say it is 100% different live than on TV.

My biggest complaint about watching it on TV is it doesn't look like they try hard at all except for a couple mins a quarter. I was shocked at how fast and quick they all play. It was truely amazing.

Fruit Ninja
12-06-2010, 02:38 AM
NBA is about the play offs, but when at times when good teams play one another, they step it up and its almost a play off atmosphere especially when rivals are playing. 82 games is a long season though. It gives more options on TV. I love watching my Lakers play, even when they were shit in the middle of this passed decade. Kobe vs the World cause the rest of the team was shit. lol Hell, even the 90's.

I am just a sports fan in general though, so ill watch pretty much any major pro sports game. It would bring more jobs and money to KC. I dont see what the downside is.

Mojo Jojo
12-06-2010, 06:07 AM
The biggest problem getting a NBA or NHL team in KC is ownership. KC has no one local willing to buy a team and bring them to KC. OKC had a local that went out and bought a team, and that's why they have a team. The longer this goes on the older the Sprint Center gets and other markets could have newer arenas.

chefs fan in omaha
12-06-2010, 07:01 AM
How about KC & Omaha sharing a team?

Oh we tried that about 30 years ago

ChiefsCountry
12-06-2010, 08:06 AM
NBA regular season games are really fun and intense. I saw the freaking Rockets/Bucks and you would have thought it was for something. NBA live is a very underrated product mainly bc on tv, they make it look way to easy.

DBOSHO
12-06-2010, 08:09 AM
I really wish we couldve gotten the thunder.

Art Vader
12-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Royals should just be a dual sport franchise

KCinNY
12-06-2010, 10:09 AM
The NHL is better live than the NBA, IMO. If you like the Mavericks or liked the Blades, you would love the world-class players of the NHL. Furthermore, the NBA playoffs are great but there is nothing and I mean NOTHING like the excitement of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Problem is, most KC sports fans would rather watch rednecks drive in circles than watch an NBA or NHL team.

blaise
12-06-2010, 10:20 AM
An NBA team would be better if the team was good. I really don't think KC could support either. Going downtown on a Tuesday night and spending a seventy five to a hundred bucks to take your kids to a game is just not something I think people will regularly do.
And I don't buy the whole, "There's a different star every night in the NBA that will draw fans even if the team isn't good." I've lived in NBA cities before and that's a myth.

chiefsnorth
12-06-2010, 10:31 AM
In cities other than your Boston, LA, etc - the places without perennial playoff teams, NBA teams are not that successful. The NBA team here is little supported without any recent Postseason appearances. Tickets are virtually free and the arena is mostly empty. I don't see how the franchise remains. KC is not going to get a storied successful team by relocation... The shine would wear off the latest stop for the grizzlies or whomever quickly.

The NHL is competitive all year round and the fans following it are more hardcore. Plus the games are a lot more action oriented than are basketball games, it's more fun for a non-fan to go check out. I think it would do better particularly when you account for all the basketball competition in the area.

loochy
12-06-2010, 11:21 AM

It IS true, especially in a city where the team is always in the playoffs. Here in Dallas, the Mavs fans don't really get going until March or so when the race for playoff seedings gets heated up. We take it for granted that we will be in the playoffs.

KC_Connection
12-06-2010, 11:29 AM
I for one cannot stand the NBA, but I went to an OKC thunder game over Thanksgiving and I must say it is 100% different live than on TV.

My biggest complaint about watching it on TV is it doesn't look like they try hard at all except for a couple mins a quarter. I was shocked at how fast and quick they all play. It was truely amazing.

That's because most of the players really aren't trying their hardest every night for all 48 minutes, particularly on defense. It's understandable because a 82 game season takes a toll on you.

The playoffs is where the NBA gets interesting.

KC_Connection
12-06-2010, 11:32 AM
It IS true, especially in a city where the team is always in the playoffs. Here in Dallas, the Mavs fans don't really get going until March or so when the race for playoff seedings gets heated up. We take it for granted that we will be in the playoffs.
Take advantage of it...Dirk won't be elite for that much longer, one would think.

Bambi
12-06-2010, 11:32 AM
I would like an NBA team in KC but it would be hard to sustain.

After the Chiefs, Royals and KU I just don't see numbers for the NBA.

CHENZ A!
12-06-2010, 11:35 AM
I would be thrilled if we got NBA or NHL, but if I had my choice I'd take NBA for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

ReynardMuldrake
12-06-2010, 11:37 AM
I've been wishing for an NHL team since they built the Sprint Center. NBA would still be awesome though.

Old Dog
12-06-2010, 11:41 AM
NHL please

chiefsfan987
12-06-2010, 08:13 PM
If they come available I'm certain that Seattle will make a strong push.

WebGem
12-06-2010, 08:17 PM
I know some idiot I went to high school with that has a Hornets tattoo. I am just hoping they change their nickname this time when they change cities.

baitism
12-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Between Missouri, Kansas State, and Kansas college bball, there is no way that a NBA team could get a loyal fan base because NBA sucks compared to watching good college teams.

DaneMcCloud
12-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Between Missouri, Kansas State, and Kansas college bball, there is no way that a NBA team could get a loyal fan base because NBA sucks compared to watching good college teams.

LMAO

Have you ever been to an NBA game?

Der Flöprer
12-06-2010, 10:29 PM
They're talking contraction. They're dying, and I love it.

baitism
12-06-2010, 10:31 PM
LMAO

Have you ever been to an NBA game?

I have been to many. Are you seriously arguing that professional sports are more passionate than college sports? Even you can't be that retarded.

NBA has been dying since Jordan retired.

dirk digler
12-06-2010, 10:34 PM
I would love if the NBA came to KC and I would be in line to get season tickets.

DaneMcCloud
12-06-2010, 11:15 PM
I have been to many. Are you seriously arguing that professional sports are more passionate than college sports? Even you can't be that retarded.

Fuck you. Clearly, you're fucking idiot.

When was the last NBA game you saw IN PERSON? You're 29 years old. When? What city? What teams were involved?

Personally, I think you're fucking full of shit and have NEVER been to an NBA game.

NBA has been dying since Jordan retired.

More fucking bullshit.

ChiefsCountry
12-06-2010, 11:18 PM
**** you. Clearly, you're ****ing idiot.

When was the last NBA game you saw IN PERSON? You're 29 years old. When? What city? What teams were involved?

Personally, I think you're ****ing full of shit and NEVER been to an NBA game.

More ****ing bullshit.

I went to a regular season game betwen the Bucks/Rockets and it was more intense than MU/KU or any of the MVC Championship Games I have been to.

DaneMcCloud
12-06-2010, 11:34 PM
I went to a regular season game betwen the Bucks/Rockets and it was more intense than MU/KU or any of the MVC Championship Games I have been to.

Of course.

This guy is a fucking tool.

Every few years, there are threads about the possibility of an NBA moving to Kansas City. In each and every one of those threads, there are a handful of dumbshits that claim that college basketball is "better" and that the NBA sucks.

Meanwhile, 99.99999% of those people have never once attended an NBA game, let alone an NBA game featuring a superstar or two.

Furthermore, the "passion" for college basketball exists in the fans and the gamblers. Those very same players, if they're worth a shit, end up in the NBA and with the one and done rule, their only "passion" is to get to NBA as quickly as possible to get "paid".

Silock
12-06-2010, 11:46 PM
I don't think he's arguing about the quality of play, but the atmosphere.

It isn't difficult to imagine a scenario where a college basketball game was far louder than an NBA regular season game, especially featuring very mediocre teams.

Chocolate Hog
12-08-2010, 01:16 AM
Looks like this story is picking up steam

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/70459/20101207/source_hornets_could_move_to_kansas_city/

DaneMcCloud
12-08-2010, 01:22 AM
Looks like this story is picking up steam

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/70459/20101207/source_hornets_could_move_to_kansas_city/

I have a feeling (and it's not anything more than that. FTR, I haven't talked with anyone at AEG, yet) that AEG buys the Hornets and places them in Kansas City.

They can absorb any losses that occur but I'm guessing that they're banking on a name change and Chris Paul as their marquee player.

I'm also "guessing" that they'd request a move to the East so that LBJ, D-Wade, the Knicks, Boston, etc. would be their rivals, as opposed to Houston, Memphis, Dallas, Minnesota, etc. A move to the East would generate FAR more revenue than staying in the West.

CaliforniaChief
12-08-2010, 01:35 AM
I have a feeling (and it's not anything more than that. FTR, I haven't talked with anyone at AEG, yet) that AEG buys the Hornets and places them in Kansas City.

They can absorb any losses that occur but I'm guessing that they're banking on a name change and Chris Paul as their marquee player.

I'm also "guessing" that they'd request a move to the East so that LBJ, D-Wade, the Knicks, Boston, etc. would be their rivals, as opposed to Houston, Memphis, Dallas, Minnesota, etc. A move to the East would generate FAR more revenue than staying in the West.

That would be awesome. I really want Kansas City to get another professional sports team. And it doesn't seem like the Royals will ever be that team. :D

Thig Lyfe
12-08-2010, 02:04 AM
I hope Chris Paul doesn't jump ship right before they move to KC.

KC_Connection
12-08-2010, 02:08 AM
I go to regular NBA games all the time, and I can say that the intensity at a college basketball game is much higher and the atmosphere much better.

Still, I think the NBA would do fine in KC.

KurtCobain
12-08-2010, 02:44 AM
THE KANSAS CITY KURTCOBAINS.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-08-2010, 05:21 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

"The Most Lethargic Squad In The League"!

eazyb81
12-08-2010, 07:47 AM
I love KC, but I don't think there's any way the city can support three pro teams, especially an NBA team.

The tickets will be too expensive for most people to attend except for an occasional game on the weekend, and the novelty of pro basketball will not be as attractive due to the popular local college teams.

I think KC should be satisfied with using the Sprint Center as a concert and college basketball venue for the Big 12 tournament, instead of being obsessed with finding a pro anchor tenant.

Crush
12-08-2010, 07:49 AM
The Kansas City Kings of Sacramento, California has a nice ring to it.

Chocolate Hog
12-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

That would be a shot in the dark

Mr. Arrowhead
12-08-2010, 08:43 AM
I love KC, but I don't think there's any way the city can support three pro teams, especially an NBA team.

The tickets will be too expensive for most people to attend except for an occasional game on the weekend, and the novelty of pro basketball will not be as attractive due to the popular local college teams.

I think KC should be satisfied with using the Sprint Center as a concert and college basketball venue for the Big 12 tournament, instead of being obsessed with finding a pro anchor tenant.

huh, tickets to a NBA game are pretty reasonable around the league. I know when i was thinking about going to a thunder game last year I could get a ticket around 10 bucks.

blaise
12-08-2010, 08:44 AM
That would be a shot in the dark

The games would be a blast.

Chocolate Hog
12-08-2010, 08:46 AM

You think so? Paul is a free agent in another year or 2 isn't he? I see him going somewhere with Carmelo to be honest. I think you may be right though about them coming here though I do have concerns about filling up the arena aren't NBA games expensive? Also I think the Chiefs are going to be 1990's good for the foreseeable future.

eazyb81
12-08-2010, 08:47 AM
huh, tickets to a NBA game are pretty reasonable around the league. I know when i was thinking about going to a thunder game last year I could get a ticket around 10 bucks.

Those are the cheap seats, but as you can see from the below link those are well below the average cost for Thunder tickets. And I would imagine that Ok City tickets are around the lowest cost in the league.

http://www.nba.com/thunder/tickets/singlegame.html

ChiTown
12-08-2010, 08:48 AM

I used to be a ball-boy for the old KC Kings back in the 70's

eazyb81
12-08-2010, 08:50 AM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/25/average-nba-ticket-price-falls-for-second-straight-year/

Average NBA ticket is $48, but the average cost of taking a family to only one game is $290.

That's fine for the NFL when there are only 8 home games are year, but there are 41 homes games plus playoffs in the NBA.

Mr. Arrowhead
12-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Those are the cheap seats, but as you can see from the below link those are well below the average cost for Thunder tickets. And I would imagine that Ok City tickets are around the lowest cost in the league.

http://www.nba.com/thunder/tickets/singlegame.html
I dont see a problem with those prices, if you want a real good seat you are gonna have to pay, not any different than any other pro sporting event i have been too.

Molitoth
12-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Teams will just use KC as leverage to get what they want... same thing that happened with the Pit Penguins.

I wish the Hornets would come here though... they have always been my fav basketball team. It was a blast watching Mourning, Johnson, Bogues, Rice, and now CP3.

eazyb81
12-08-2010, 08:51 AM
I dont see a problem with those prices, if you want a real good seat you are gonna have to pay, not any different than any other pro sporting event i have been too.

I agree, but I am saying that KC simply does not have enough people with money that will want to pay for those tickets.

Mr. Arrowhead
12-08-2010, 08:56 AM
I agree, but I am saying that KC simply does not have enough people with money that will want to pay for those tickets.
if they are a winner, KC will support you no matter what, but if they are losing they will support them just like they do with the royals.

ChiTown
12-08-2010, 08:57 AM

This.

We would need another .5MM to 1MM increase in our fan population base over what we have in order to support either a NBA or NHL team, in addition to the NFL and MLB club we currently have. See: STL

ChiefsCountry
12-08-2010, 09:40 AM
If the NBA comes to Kansas City, market the team regionally. St. Louis doesnt have a team. Omaha, Des Moines, Springfield and Wichita are nice metros within driving distance. When the Royals were winning the parking lot was full of out of towners. Chiefs and Cardinals know this concept extremely well.
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
12-08-2010, 10:16 AM
This.

We would need another .5MM to 1MM increase in our fan population base over what we have in order to support either a NBA or NHL team, in addition to the NFL and MLB club we currently have. See: STL

The blues are 7th in attendance, so I don't know what you mean by "See: STL".
Posted via Mobile Device

CHENZ A!
12-08-2010, 10:47 AM
I just can't see why anyone would be against this. If you don't like NBA, prefer college, or don't want to attend games due to price/parking/some other excuse then just don't go.
Posted via Mobile Device

L.A. Chieffan
12-08-2010, 10:48 AM
this would be awesome for you guys, if not there than vegas

L.A. Chieffan
12-08-2010, 10:48 AM
or seattle

CHENZ A!
12-08-2010, 10:51 AM
I also think a lot of older people are out of touch with what the younger generations enjoy. They think just because THEY don't enjoy the NBA, and neither do any of their old friends, that the NBA is not popular in their area or "would never work".
Posted via Mobile Device

baitism
12-08-2010, 11:00 AM
I go to regular NBA games all the time, and I can say that the intensity at a college basketball game is much higher and the atmosphere much better.

This x100. Many businesses close the first Thursday and Friday of the tournament; the loss of productivity is enormous, and sports bars are friggin packed all day. The NBA playoffs are entertaining, but they have nothing on March Madness.

Anyway, I don't think the Hornets would succeed here for a number of reasons that have been mentioned.

1. This experiment has been tried before and failed.
2. I don't see many people shelling out big bucks for a mediocre team.
3. Most of the youth here (<25) really hasn't grown up with any reason to actively follow the NBA. I think my generation were the youngest ones to experience the heyday of the NBA in the last 80s, early to mid 90s.
4. The economy in this town just really doesn't have room to support another team.

ChiTown
12-08-2010, 11:12 AM
The blues are 7th in attendance, so I don't know what you mean by "See: STL".
Posted via Mobile Device

Not a slight on STL

My point is that they have about .75MM more people than KC (in their metro area) and can support another Professional Franchise. I think KC is about tapped out. JMHO

Al Bundy
12-08-2010, 11:17 AM
if they are a winner, KC will support you no matter what, but if they are losing they will support them just like they do with the royals.

It took 10 years of losing and trying not to compete for the Royals to be "supported" like they are.

KurtCobain
12-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Not a slight on STL

My point is that they have about .75MM more people than KC (in their metro area) and can support another Professional Franchise. I think KC is about tapped out. JMHO

We built the damn Sprint Center, we better be able to support a team for it.

jiveturkey
12-08-2010, 11:23 AM
We built the damn Sprint Center, we better be able to support a team for it.It's been profitable without a team.

CHENZ A!
12-08-2010, 12:31 PM
This x100. Many businesses close the first Thursday and Friday of the tournament; the loss of productivity is enormous, and sports bars are friggin packed all day. The NBA playoffs are entertaining, but they have nothing on March Madness.

Anyway, I don't think the Hornets would succeed here for a number of reasons that have been mentioned.

3. Most of the youth here (<25) really hasn't grown up with any reason to actively follow the NBA. I think my generation were the youngest ones to experience the heyday of the NBA in the last 80s, early to mid 90s.
4. The economy in this town just really doesn't have room to support another team.

I don't understand why people can't enjoy watching both...

1. This was before everyone had ESPN and all of the games were televised, etc. It is a completely different landscape.

2. How can you possibly know what people will choose to spend their entertainment dollar on? Assuming they remain mediocre.

3.really? With the Big 12 being one of the strongest conferences every year, and the amount of players they are sending to the NBA? I'm not so sure, also the video games, games on TV every night, sportscenter, etc.

4. Whatever Mellinger says.
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
12-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Not a slight on STL

If they can support an NHL team, then we can support an NBA team. More people in the midwest are interested in basketball over hockey IMO.

Deberg_1990
12-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Cant believe so many on here are complaining about having another pro sports franchise in KC?? If the team is successful, they will draw. Its not like the NBA is some startup or unknown commodity.

morphius
12-08-2010, 02:08 PM
I'd much prefer an NHL team, but no matter what the team that comes in will have to win to get support. We have been supporting losing for so long in this town that if you come in slow the support will dwindle pretty quickly.

Fruit Ninja
12-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Tickets will be alot cheaper then they would say if they were in cities like New York/L.A. People should be able to afford a damn ticket to a game, the team does have to have some sucess and it also depends what team gets brought over. If its the Hornets as they are, and they have a chance to keep CP3, then do it. Dude is the best point guard in the game. He's sick.

DaneMcCloud
12-08-2010, 02:29 PM

So, you're comparing March Madness to a regular season NBA game in December?

LMAO

Yeah, that's a fair comparison.

Really? So you're telling us that the NBA in 2010 has the same level of interest as in 1983, when you were 2 years old?

LMAO

Who says that they'd be mediocre? The Thunder certainly aren't mediocre.

What you fail to realize and recognize is that a majority of season ticket holders would be corporations and sponsors. IF Kansas City were to host a perpetual playoff team (which isn't too difficult in the NBA considering the number of teams in the playoffs each year), word would travel pretty quickly about how cool an NBA game is in person.

I guarantee that when the Celtics, Heat, Lakers, Mavs, Bulls, Knicks, Spurs, Thunder and Magic come to town, those games would be near sellouts if not sellouts.

There are plenty of people in South Johnson County that could easily afford NBA tickets and would support a team. The most difficult aspect of having a successful NBA team in Kansas City would be getting those people off their sofas and to the arena.

ChiTown
12-08-2010, 02:34 PM
If they can support an NHL team, then we can support an NBA team. More people in the midwest are interested in basketball over hockey IMO.

You might be wrong on that.

DaneMcCloud
12-08-2010, 02:40 PM
You might be wrong on that.

I think he may be right concerning the Midwestern "Plains States", i.e., Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma and most of Texas and Missouri.

Hell, I used to go to Blades games before I moved to Los Angeles for $7 dollars a seat and Kemper was never even close to being sold out, even with Arturs Irbe and Kevin Constantine. The Blades were a "Farm Team" to the San Jose Sharks, which should have meant something but didn't.

Saulbadguy
12-08-2010, 02:41 PM
The question is...ownership? Who would buy the team?

DaneMcCloud
12-08-2010, 02:43 PM
The question is...ownership? Who would buy the team?

From what I've heard, there's a possibility that AEG buys and runs the team for now while looking for a perspective buyer.

It's only about $300 million which as sports franchises go, is pretty cheap.

KevB
12-08-2010, 02:48 PM
I'd go to games and perhaps even buy a couple of season tix. Then again, I'm one of the few NBA fans I know in town.

ChiefsCountry
12-08-2010, 02:49 PM
From what I've heard, there's a possibility that AEG buys and runs the team for now while looking for a perspective buyer.

It's only about $300 million which as sports franchises go, is pretty cheap.

But would AEG want to sell its share in the Lakers to own a Kansas City team?

blaise
12-08-2010, 02:54 PM
I think he may be right concerning the Midwestern "Plains States", i.e., Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma and most of Texas and Missouri.

Hell, I used to go to Blades games before I moved to Los Angeles for $7 dollars a seat and Kemper was never even close to being sold out, even with Arturs Irbe and Kevin Constantine. The Blades were a "Farm Team" to the San Jose Sharks, which should have meant something but didn't.

I'm a hockey fan, I've been to quite a few NHL games, I watch it on TV and even have hockey cards and stuff. I used to live in Rochester NY, who had a farm team for teh Sabres and I never once went to a game. It's just a huge drop off in quality. I don't know if minor league hockey attendance is much of an indicator.

Not that there's a lot of hockey fans in the midwest, no doubt basketball is more popular. I just think there's quite a few people who would go to NHL games, yet not even consider a minor league game.

I think it's just about whether the team is good. I lived in DC when the Caps were good and the Wizards sucked. Nobody went to the Wizards and the Caps drew well. Then when the Wizards got better for a few years that flipped.
I think a good NBA team would draw better than a good NHL team, but a bad NHL team would draw better than a bad NBA team. I think the NHL fans they would get in KC would maybe be a bit more die-hard.

DaneMcCloud
12-08-2010, 02:54 PM
But would AEG want to sell its share in the Lakers to own a Kansas City team?

I would doubt it but from what I understand, they'd be helping out the league with the intent of find a long-term owner.

Those guys have a lot going on right now with the new expansion to the Los Angeles Convention center and the new downtime NFL stadium (which will have a retractable dome to host Final Fours, World Cup, etc.) so I assume it would be a short-term deal to get a tenant in their building.

Chief_For_Life58
12-08-2010, 03:14 PM
WE NEED AN NBA TEAM IN KC!!!! IF WE GOT THE HORNETS OR ANY OTHER TEAM EVERYONE IN THE GREATER KC AREA AND SURROUNDING CITIES NEED TO GO AND SELL OUT EVERY GAME. I THINK IF WE HAD A COOL/GOOD TEAM PEOPLE WOULD FILL THE SEATS BECAUSE THEY WOULD WANT TO GO...LETS ALL GET BEHIND THIS AND SAY WE DO WANT A TEAM!!!! WE CAN CALL THEM THE KANSAS CITY BEEF ON BUNS!!!! OR THE KC MASTERPIECE!! HAHA BRING NBA 2 KC!!!!!!

blaise
12-08-2010, 03:16 PM
WE NEED AN NBA TEAM IN KC!!!! IF WE GOT THE HORNETS OR ANY OTHER TEAM EVERYONE IN THE GREATER KC AREA AND SURROUNDING CITIES NEED TO GO AND SELL OUT EVERY GAME. I THINK IF WE HAD A COOL/GOOD TEAM PEOPLE WOULD FILL THE SEATS BECAUSE THEY WOULD WANT TO GO...LETS ALL GET BEHIND THIS AND SAY WE DO WANT A TEAM!!!! WE CAN CALL THEM THE KANSAS CITY BEEF ON BUNS!!!! OR THE KC MASTERPIECE!! HAHA BRING NBA 2 KC!!!!!!

Are you feeling ok?

dirk digler
12-08-2010, 03:17 PM
I think a good NBA team would draw better than a good NHL team, but a bad NHL team would draw better than a bad NBA team. I think the NHL fans they would get in KC would maybe be a bit more die-hard.

I agree with this especially when the local players come in and play along with the good NBA teams.

As far as the atmosphere I have only been to 1 NBA game but I don't think it compares much to the college atmosphere. But that could be easily rectified if the NBA shortened their season in half and that would mean every game is meaningful. Instead right now you have players loafing through games because they have to play 82 of them just to get into the playoffs and alot of the games just don't mean shit.

DeezNutz
12-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Self as HC? Immediate connection to the local market.

blaise
12-08-2010, 03:20 PM
I agree with this especially when the local players come in and play along with the good NBA teams.

As far as the atmosphere I have only been to 1 NBA game but I don't think it compares much to the college atmosphere. But that could be easily rectified if the NBA shortened their season in half and that would mean every game is meaningful. Instead right now you have players loafing through games because they have to play 82 of them just to get into the playoffs and alot of the games just don't mean shit.

I think the difference in the crowds is part that, but mostly that you have college kids at college games, and families and corporate crowds at NBA games. When i lived in Houston they sort-of hired a group of people to sit in the lower section and cheer and yell because the Toyota Center was so subdued and quiet. They call them the Red Rowdies. When it first started I think Jeff Van Gundy bought their season tickets, and now I think the team itself might.

DaneMcCloud
12-08-2010, 03:21 PM
As far as the atmosphere I have only been to 1 NBA game but I don't think it compares much to the college atmosphere.

Which team and what year?

I've been to a ton of Lakers games and a few Clippers game. Not surprisingly, the Clippers game had less "atmosphere" than Lakers games but Lakers games easily compare to the college games I've attended, even in the regular season.

dirk digler
12-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Which team and what year?

I've been to a ton of Lakers games and a few Clippers game. Not surprisingly, the Clippers game had less "atmosphere" than Lakers games but Lakers games easily compare to the college games I've attended, even in the regular season.

I went to the Heat\ Thunder game here in KC this past October.

I watch a lot of NBA games on NBA TV and it seems the arenas are half full. I am sure the atmosphere is different if you have a good team like the Heat, Lakers, or Celtics.

ChiefsCountry
12-08-2010, 03:31 PM
I went to the Heat\ Thunder game here in KC this past October.

I watch a lot of NBA games on NBA TV and it seems the arenas are half full. I am sure the atmosphere is different if you have a good team like the Heat, Lakers, or Celtics.

A regular season game is totally different than a preseason one. Like I said before, I saw the Rockets/Bucks play in Houston. One average team and the other not so much. Middle of the week game and the place was rocking. Atmosphere was great and the play was really good.

dirk digler
12-08-2010, 03:45 PM
A regular season game is totally different than a preseason one. Like I said before, I saw the Rockets/Bucks play in Houston. One average team and the other not so much. Middle of the week game and the place was rocking. Atmosphere was great and the play was really good.

I realize that but I just find it hard to believe a mid week game with 2 below average teams generates better atmosphere or enthusiasm than a college game for example like the one last week with MU vs Georgetown.

Saulbadguy
12-08-2010, 03:52 PM
I realize that but I just find it hard to believe a mid week game with 2 below average teams generates better atmosphere or enthusiasm than a college game for example like the one last week with MU vs Georgetown.

Or KSU vs Alcorn State, or Mizzou vs Presbyterian, or Kansas vs Colorado State. :doh!:

ChiefsCountry
12-08-2010, 04:09 PM

It does. I have been to MU/KU and the MVC championships and the NBA game topped it.

DaneMcCloud
12-08-2010, 04:12 PM

But you're talking about two very good and historic programs.

I've been to UCLA and USC basketball games and the atmosphere is nothing like it was for a K-State game, let alone a KU game. I went to an SMS game back in the 80's and it was lame.

Plus, you're comparing a preseason game featuring two teams that don't play in your city. A regular season game (and especially a playoff game) is very different, especially if it's the local team.

But you're probably right: If KC gets a team, people that are used to attending KU, MU, K-State basketball games will probably be disappointed with the "atmosphere", especially since that arena won't be filled with 10,000 or more 18-22 year-olds screaming for their college.

ChiefsCountry
01-11-2011, 12:09 AM
http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-maloof-family-no-longer-loyal-01102011,0,1429172.story

Kansas City Kings Part II.

Reaper16
01-11-2011, 12:15 AM
http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-maloof-family-no-longer-loyal-01102011,0,1429172.story

Kansas City Kings Part II.
Let's get some Tyreke Evans & DeMarcus Cousins up in this bitch.

ChiefsCountry
01-11-2011, 12:24 AM
Let's get some Tyreke Evans & DeMarcus Cousins up in this bitch.

I would love that. I adopted the Kings as my team to follow after Jordan retired that was when they got Webber.