PDA

View Full Version : News My numismatic dream comes true.

Rain Man
12-11-2010, 08:33 PM
I took all of my collected pennies and nickels and dimes and quarters in today to cash them in and build my travel fund.

So she's adding them up and I'm looking around casing the joint, and what's that I see? A glint of gold in our change drawer?

"What's that?" I asked. "Are those gold dollars?"

"Yes," she said.

"Can I have some?"

She then said that she could give me a roll of shiny new uncirculated ones if I wanted, so I said sure. I bought $25 worth so I can mess with the minds of cashiers and waitresses.

But wait.

What the - ?

What were these things?

I was thinking they were Sacajawea dollars, but they weren't.

They're something entirely different. They're honoring America's 13th president, Millard Fillmore! Fillmore finally got his own currency!

So now I'm going to have fun convincing the sports bar people tomorrow that these things are real money. I've never seen one before.

http://www.coinnews.net/wp-content/images/2010/Millard-Fillmore-Presidential-Dollar-Design.jpg

Somehow I missed this, but apparently it's part of a series since 2007 that's already up to Lincoln now. How have I missed this? I remember some gold dollars a few years ago, and I think they had Jefferson on them or some other guy that didn't surprise me.

The other fun thing is that it's got engraving around the edge with a bunch of stuff like stars and 'e pluribus unum'. I love this country.

WebGem
12-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Did you get any Brodie Croyle ones?

acesn8s
12-11-2010, 08:36 PM
They're not real. You just got hosed by your banker.

Rain Man
12-11-2010, 08:36 PM
I think they're saving him for a larger denomination.

Bugeater
12-11-2010, 08:57 PM
It's always a good idea to suspiciously look around while at a bank teller window.

bobbymitch
12-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Obviously, they started with Geo. Washington. Our post office had a stamp machine that would give change in coinage only. I think I stopped at Madison when the PO removed the stamp machines so one could stand in line instead.

And yes, at many places the cashiers have no clue what to do with a dollar coin and some don't realize that it is US currency.

JD10367
12-11-2010, 10:24 PM
I thought this was gonna be a "2 girls 1 guy" thread.

big nasty kcnut
12-11-2010, 10:28 PM
i want Calvin Coolidge coin.

cdcox
12-11-2010, 10:33 PM
I was all excited about the 50 states quarters. I spent 10 years going through my change, plucking them out of circulation, and putting them in my coin folders. One folder for the each of the two mints. I get the Philly folder complete and am just a few coins away from completing Denver. Imagine my disgust in having a Puerto Rico show up. WTF? My folders don't have any slots for Puerto Rico! What am I supposed to do with Puerto Rico? I'm done.

Rain Man
12-11-2010, 10:33 PM
i want Calvin Coolidge coin.

If I understand the system properly, your own numismatic dream will come true in 2014.

Rain Man
12-11-2010, 10:34 PM
I was all excited about the 50 states quarters. I spent 10 years going through my change, plucking them out of circulation, and putting them in my coin folders. One folder for the each of the two mints. I get the Philly folder complete and am just a few coins away from completing Denver. Imagine my disgust in having a Puerto Rico show up. WTF? My folders don't have any slots for Puerto Rico! What am I supposed to do with Puerto Rico? I'm done.

There's a Puerto Rico quarter? Is that even legal?

Bugeater
12-11-2010, 10:37 PM
There's a Puerto Rico quarter? Is that even legal?
There's also ones for the Virgin Islands and American Samoa. :spock:

pr_capone
12-11-2010, 10:41 PM

If it means anything... I'm sorry we ruined your coin collection.

cdcox
12-11-2010, 10:42 PM

They turned the whole State quarters program in to a mockery.

cdcox
12-11-2010, 10:44 PM

LMAO

Dude, I hope you realize my outrage about the quarters is a shtick. Except for the part about there not being a slot for it in my folder.

Rain Man
12-11-2010, 10:44 PM

What about Guam?

Bugeater
12-11-2010, 11:01 PM
What about Guam?
Oh yeah, how could I forget about Guam? If I ever decided to do a tour of meaningless state quarter territories, Guam would definitely be the first on my list.

Rain Man
12-11-2010, 11:34 PM

Here's an interesting bit of trivia for you. Among people who drive alone to work, Puerto Rico has a larger proportion who travel more than 30 minutes each way than any U.S. state.

CrazyPhuD
12-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Are there mexico and canada state coins too? We should make a cuba one just to torque off castro.

black angus
12-11-2010, 11:48 PM
I think they're doing state parks now on the quarters.

pr_capone
12-11-2010, 11:56 PM
They turned the whole State quarters program in to a mockery.

If you were planning on buying something from Amazon, you could always throw this in with it to get the free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/United-States-Quarters-Collectors-1999-2009/dp/1402770596

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZXYtf8-tL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

In fact, if you let me know when you pick it up, I'll paypal you the $7 it cost as a token of my people's regret.

:D

Rain Man
12-12-2010, 12:12 AM
If you were planning on buying something from Amazon, you could always throw this in with it to get the free shipping.

In fact, if you let me know when you pick it up, I'll paypal you the $7 it cost as a token of my people's regret.

:D

Will you send me a Chili's gift certificate as an apology for that whole congressional shooting thing back in the 50s?

pr_capone
12-12-2010, 01:00 AM
Will you send me a Chili's gift certificate as an apology for that whole congressional shooting thing back in the 50s?

That event did not personally affect you unlike cdcox where his personal coin collection was ruined.

You know who we can blame for this all though, right?

That asshole William McKinley.

Slayer Diablo
12-12-2010, 01:08 AM
Does William Harrison get a dollar? I could understand "Penny for your inauguration", but seriously, THIRTY DAYS!

Slayer Diablo
12-12-2010, 01:16 AM
BTW, what happens when we get to Kennedy? We may need charts reminding people that gold is $1 and silver is $0.50.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-12-2010, 03:21 AM
I used to keep a supply of Gold Dollars to leave for tips. Now I keep $2 bills. Waitresses get all excited over them like they're really rare or something. And sometimes I'll use them at the grocery store because it's always funny watching them try to decide which slot they go in the money drawer. I used some yesterday in fact and she started to put them in the 5 slot, then the 1 slot then she lifted the tray and stuck them underneath.

Demonpenz
12-12-2010, 03:32 AM
they should put Garfield on there ...one side the cat the other side the presidence

Rain Man
12-12-2010, 07:21 PM
My first numismatic experience with the Fillmore dollar may have been a failure.

At the sports bar today I pulled out four of them to round out my payment. The waitress came over and scooped them up without looking, and then I realized that if she thought they were quarters it would've looked like I was a horrible tipper. So I debated on mentioning something to her, but if I did then it would look like I was trying to get credit for my tip, which honestly was just average considering the service was (as usual) poor in my sports bar with this year's servers. So I debated it and even thought about doing it, but she went over and started chatting up another table after I was already standing with my coat on and I waited a few minutes and she kept chatting so I just left.

In summary, I think it was the worst of all possible worlds where I'm going to get blamed for leaving a bad tip when I really didn't, and then at some point they'll find the Fillmore dollars in the quarter slot and no one will know where they came from.

My only hope is that when she came over I was digging the last one out of the roll, so I'm hoping she noticed that. She wasn't overly friendly, so there's a decent chance that she wouldn't have mentioned it to me even if she did notice the Fillmores.