PDA

View Full Version : For those of us left looking to next year - Keepers?

allen_kcCard
12-13-2010, 10:07 AM
I'm the lucky team this year that had the most total points scored against my team, and despite being int he top half in overall scoring, I'm out of the playoffs.

So....it is our first year being a keeper league, so I'm trying to guage who to go after for Keepers. Here is my roster, with * for who I had thought of keeping....we keep three.

* QB Peyton Manning, Ind QB
* RB Maurice Jones-Drew, Jac RB
RB Fred Jackson, Buf RB
RB/WR Malcom Floyd, SD WR
WR Wes Welker, NE WR
WR DeSean Jackson, Phi WR
TE Kellen Winslow, TB TE
D/ST Ravens D/ST, Bal D/ST
K Rob Bironas, Ten K
BENCH

* Ryan Mathews, SD RB
Hakeem Nicks, NYG WR
Sam Bradford, StL QB
Jason Snelling, Atl RB
Jonathan Stewart, Car RB
Dez Bryant, Dal WR
Zach Miller, Oak TE

I thought about skipping Manning, and keeping DeSean Jackson instead, or also wondered if there were players that most leagues would have on waivers that will be a big time player next year to grab now just to keep them.

I am sure Matthews and MJD would be first round picks again for the most part next year, and Manning would probably be also, but I'm not sure if I could get better value by keeping someone else and picking a QB up out of redraft next year instead.

EDIT To add:

No PPR, 6 pts for TD, 1 pt for 20 yds passing, 1 pt for 10 yds receiving/rushing,

Pestilence
12-13-2010, 10:53 AM
What do you lose for keeping the player?

allen_kcCard
12-14-2010, 10:11 AM
What do you lose for keeping the player?

Nothing. As far as I understand it, you pick three players you want to keep, and the rest all go into the draft pool. Then we draft like always, but with three fewer rounds.

So, I'm looking at it as trying to get as many first round type players as I can to keep, and then change my draft priorities some to account for what I know I already have. If I had my QB and 2 RBS, who were all 1st round type picks this year in most leages, then I would be trying hard for WRs, which I think most people will drop. That, or I would keep what I know everyone else is going to be trying to draft early...most likely WRs like me, and then pick a QB quick to try to get something comparable to what I'm dropping in Manning.

A lot of it will matter on how things look coming closer to next years draft....like who Manning will be throwing to next year, if they get him a stuf RB...or if things change for Matthews or MJD. I also wonder if I might be over-valuing Matthews. He didn't do much this year, but I see a lot of potential and he was a high average pick this year as well.

Sometime I'm going to look at other teams' rosters and try to guess who they will keep, so I can try to guage what the pool will look like.

Pestilence
12-14-2010, 10:27 AM
When do you have to decide by? Because if it were me....I'd be keeping...

Hakeem Nicks - He's a fucking stud and he's the #1 WR on the Giants. He's young and he's only going to get better.

Peyton Manning - For obvious reasons. Plus next year he's going to have a healthy lineup of Wayne, Garcon, Collie and Clark.

Jonathan Stewart - He's young and I don't see the Panthers bringing back Deangelo Williams. Obviously if they do....I'd look somewhere else. This year was kind of fluke. He lost Otah to injury and he was having to play behind Williams who was the better receiver out of the backfield.

Mile High Mania
12-14-2010, 03:00 PM
If you lose nothing ... Peyton, Nicks and MJD. Tough call leaving out DeSean, but it's not PPR.

allen_kcCard
12-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Not sure when the decisions are in by, I am assuming up until the time that the draft starts next year.

Some good suggestions...I never even thought about stewart, but he is a good one to keep in mind. I was thinking of Matthews above him just because he wasn't highly touted when I got him in the first place.

Nicks was one of my drafts, I had Desean because someone was an idiot and dropped them to waivers when they were out with injury for a week. Payton came via trade, with me giving up Megatron so I could upgrade from Kolb to him....wish I would have been quicker to get Vick back when that all went down.

Pestilence
12-15-2010, 10:54 AM
If I was to rank your RBs to keep.....I'd rank them.

1. MJD
2. Stewart
3. Mathews
4. Jackson
5. Snelling

You can keep MJD, Manning and Nicks....and you'd be set for the next season. I'd just keep an eye on the Stewart/Williams situation. If they resign Williams....I wouldn't keep Stewart. You'll also have to keep an eye on whether or not they're going to be giving Goodson some carries as well.