PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Cassel says he’s preparing as if he’ll play against Rams

Tribal Warfare
12-14-2010, 01:04 AM
Cassel says he’s preparing as if he’ll play against Rams (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/12/13/2518226/cassel-says-hes-preparing-as-if.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Left at home in Kansas City to watch on TV the Chiefs’ miserable performance in San Diego, Matt Cassel had that sinking feeling he said he never wanted to experience again.

Toward that end, Cassel said he would prepare this week as if he would quarterback the Chiefs in Sunday’s game against the Rams in St. Louis.

“That’s why I’m here,” said Cassel, who was with his teammates at the Chiefs’ practice facility Monday as they reviewed the San Diego game. “I’ll do what I normally do. It will be a normal week of preparation. It will be a better week for me.”

That doesn’t necessarily mean Cassel, who had an appendectomy last Wednesday, will play against the Rams. The Chiefs don’t hold their first practice of the week until Wednesday, and the first public indication of whether Cassel will play would probably come then.

Until then, all Cassel can do is remain hopeful.

“I honestly can’t say,” he said about his recovery process. “They just said day-to-day. It’s all about reviewing it each and every day, seeing my progress and how I feel, everything like that. I don’t think it’s anything set in stone.”

The Chiefs left Cassel behind when they went to San Diego. They didn’t want to subject him to the rigors of travel since he wasn’t going to play.

They suffered one of the most lopsided losses in franchise history in their 31-0 loss to the Chargers. With Brodie Croyle playing quarterback, the Chiefs didn’t convert on any of their 11 third-down tries and neared team-record lows with 67 yards and five first downs.

“That was more of a medical staff/coaching staff/training staff decision,” Cassel said. “I would have loved to go and been on the plane, but they made the decision very clear that they wanted me to stay and rest and be off my feet as much as possible.”

The Chiefs played so poorly, it couldn’t have made much of a difference whether they were quarterbacked by Croyle or Cassel. Between the Chiefs’ worst rushing game of the season, constant pass-rush pressure on Croyle and several dropped passes, nothing worked offensively.

The Chiefs thought they didn’t give Croyle a chance and were disappointed about that.

“We should have come through for Brodie,” running back Jamaal Charles said. “Things just got out of control.

“It wasn’t even about Matt. Some people have to step up, step their game up. It’s football, and guys didn’t step up. I didn’t step up. We didn’t step up as a team on offense.”

Guard Brian Waters said, “We didn’t do what we needed to do as a football team to make his job easier.”

A more urgent issue for the Chiefs now is whether they can do those things for Croyle if he plays in St. Louis. The 8-5 Chiefs are trying to protect their one-game lead over San Diego in the AFC West.

“I have the utmost confidence in our players, in Brodie,” coach Todd Haley said. “He’s disappointed because he’s worked awfully hard.

“Of all the players on our team, the backup quarterback is the one that really hasn’t gotten to play much at all. So he got an opportunity, and I know he wanted it to go better. But make no mistake, it was (the fault of) an 11-man offensive operation and it was not Brodie Croyle. That was not the difference. It didn’t matter who was in there (at quarterback). The result was not going to be good.”

Kansas City’s conservative game plan made it appear the Chiefs lacked confidence in Croyle. Despite the fact the Chiefs fell behind early and never caught the Chargers, Croyle tried just 17 passes before he was pulled from the lineup in favor of Tyler Palko late in the game

Haley defended the game plan and the play-calling.

“When you have a guy that hasn’t played quarterback in an extended amount of time, I don’t think you can just plug him in and expect him to do the job,” he said. “That’s not going to happen very often.

“We were unable to get any kind of rhythm going offensively that would have enabled Brodie to have a chance to succeed.”

BIG_DADDY
12-14-2010, 01:11 AM
Oh no you don't just ask acesn8s and Zilla, it was all Brodie. Haley should give em so they can straighten him out

HemiEd
12-14-2010, 01:40 AM
“When you have a guy that hasn’t played quarterback in an extended amount of time, I don’t think you can just plug him in and expect him to do the job,” he said. “That’s not going to happen very often.

Especially with handcuffs on.

WTF have they been doing with the back up QB preparation for the last two years?

The starter could go down at any time, WTF?!

Wallcrawler
12-14-2010, 02:42 AM
Well, putting Brodie on the leash resulted in playcalling that had Herm Edwards needing to buy stock in Kleenex.

Id love to know the thinking behind being worried about your QB performance on passing downs, and then only allowing him to throw on the most blatantly obvious downs after the first 2 downs were runs for minimal gain. Yeah, thats gonna work out awesome.

I guess its a good thing we have all those bubble screen plays for 3rd and forever, right Charlie?

If the Chiefs had not been so effing predictable on offense, they might have broken 100 yards offensively. Hell, they might have even converted at least one third down.

This is the kind of shit that happens when you take on the top ranked defense and everyone in the stadium knows the play before its even called in the huddle. You dont get jack shit. We were +2 or 3 in the turnover battle, I cant remember which and it didnt make a damn bit of difference.

Its just mind boggling to think that we won the turnover battle on the road and could not only not get any points, but couldnt even get a first down.

You know what.... F it. I cant explain it any better than my favorite press conference coach, Jim Mora.

Tie0tz7jGDI

HemiEd
12-14-2010, 02:47 AM
Wallcrawler, you and I must have been watching the same game. Blows me away how some people saw it different.

BigMeatballDave
12-14-2010, 04:09 AM

“We were unable to get any kind of rhythm going offensively that would have enabled Brodie to have a chance to succeed.”This contradicts Weis, who said the offense would not change.

michaelj_58
12-14-2010, 04:25 AM
why couldn't they have done those screen play's on first or second down a few times to slow down that pass rush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-14-2010, 05:54 AM
Sanity.

Pushead2
12-14-2010, 06:15 AM
what about the other 52 men? After last week I hope they are preparing as well too....

dannybcaitlyn
12-14-2010, 07:31 AM

WTF have they been doing with the back up QB preparation for the last two years?

I know , Its such bull crap. Jacksonville can pull a farmer off a tractor in a weeks time and the guy plays a dam good game. I didn't see them handcuff him.

milkman
12-14-2010, 08:08 AM
Well, all the other bullshit aside, I like the fact that the players aren't pointing fingers.

HemiEd
12-14-2010, 08:40 AM
I know , Its such bull crap. Jacksonville can pull a farmer off a tractor in a weeks time and the guy plays a dam good game. I didn't see them handcuff him.

Yeah, if they turn him loose, what is the worst than can happen? Lose the game?
At least it probably wouldn't been a whitewashing shutout like it was.

Well, all the other bullshit aside, I like the fact that the players aren't pointing fingers.

Agreed, they do sound like a team, one for all, all for one.

johnny961
12-14-2010, 08:59 AM

Exactly. And another team that comes to mind is the Steelers, who have had considerable success over the years with backups. I blame alot of last weeks offensive mess on the coaching. Haley can defend the coaching all he wants but alot of its on them.

johnny961
12-14-2010, 09:02 AM

Yeah. In fact most seem more than willing to accept their share of the blame.

MOhillbilly
12-14-2010, 09:12 AM
Haley didnt sound right at all on the radio last night. Dude answered questions like hed been horse whipped.

J Diddy
12-14-2010, 09:14 AM
On a related note I too am getting ready to play qb this sunday. Couldn't do much worse than bro and ten.

GREAT Warrior
12-14-2010, 09:25 AM
CHIEFS vs rammies. Battle of Missouri, now that we know we need CASSEL, he'll be back and we will go to ST louie and WIN that Governor's Cup, WIN the rest of the games and ROCK ON through the playoffs and then WIN the SUPER CUP.

Rock ON!!! GO CHIEFS!!!

Dave Lane
12-14-2010, 09:40 AM

When someone sucks as horrifically as Brodie there really is no choice but to try to dumb it down to his level. Brodie is the suk.

KCBOSS1
12-14-2010, 10:53 AM
If Cassel is down another week, the play calling will be more aggressive this week, just simply because what did failed miserably.

boogblaster
12-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Hopefully they'll play like professionals sunday .. and have a better game plan .......

Reerun_KC
12-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Thankfully... That abortion of a game and performance by Croyle was just that...

We have a chance to win and sweep out with Cassel.

vailpass
12-14-2010, 12:13 PM
What if Cassel plays and the Rams key on hitting him in his other appendix? He only has one left now, if that one goes wouldn't he die?

Frosty
12-14-2010, 12:24 PM
What if Cassel plays and the Rams key on hitting him in his other appendix? He only has one left now, if that one goes wouldn't he die?

:spock:

vailpass
12-14-2010, 12:29 PM
:spock:

I know. He was an idiot for not putting off that appendectomy until after the season.

Frosty
12-14-2010, 12:36 PM
I know. He was an idiot for not putting off that appendectomy until after the season.

Especially if he has a spare one. ;)

LaChapelle
12-14-2010, 12:42 PM
The loss has an upside -Rams trolls
I mean come on
too bad we didn't play the Panthers next

Fish
12-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Well this is great info. Before reading this article, I was convinced that Cassel would be preparing for something other than returning to work.

LaChapelle
12-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Clausen is going to eat your defense up
and shit down your hot head coaches neck

Rausch
12-14-2010, 12:55 PM
If Cassel is down another week, the play calling will be more aggressive this week, just simply because what did failed miserably.

I doubt that.

If we weren't willing to throw the ball down by 21+ vs. the Chargers I sure as hell don't expect Air-Croyle vs. lesser competition...

Carlota69
12-14-2010, 12:56 PM

Um, I may have ditched my biology class too much in high school, but, dont we only have ONE appendix?:shrug:

vailpass
12-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Um, I may have ditched my biology class too much in high school, but, dont we only have ONE appendix?:shrug:

No, you are thinking of the fallopian tube.

Carlota69
12-14-2010, 12:59 PM
No, you are thinking of the fallopian tube.

Oh...gotcha!:eek:

HemiEd
12-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Thankfully... That abortion of a game and performance by Croyle was just that...

We have a chance to win and sweep out with Cassel.

ROFL

I believe you need to put a new battery in your sarcasm meter. ;)

vailpass
12-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Oh...gotcha!:eek:

I'm not trying to talk down to you Carlota, I know you are one HELL of a great jock (love your new ink). It's just that I know a thing or two about anatomy.

Carlota69
12-14-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm not trying to talk down to you Carlota, I know you are one HELL of a great jock (love your new ink). It's just that I know a thing or two about anatomy.

Ok, I know you arent (thought you were being ssarcastic like myself), but we only 1 appendix right? And I know we have 2 falopian tubes because I had 1 removed and still have another...so what are you talking about?

Oh, and thanks for the love ;-)

vailpass
12-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Ok, I know you arent (thought you were being ssarcastic like myself), but we only 1 appendix right? And I know we have 2 falopian tubes because I had 1 removed and still have another...so what are you talking about?

Oh, and thanks for the love ;-)

Darling, we are both rowing the boat sarcastic. I'd bet my ovary on it.

Carlota69
12-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Darling, we are both rowing the boat sarcastic. I'd bet my ovary on it.

You got an extra one? I had that removed as well.;)

Chiefs Pantalones
12-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Cassel is playing this week. You'd have to strap him to his bed to get him not to play. The team isn't dumb they know what's at stake and they know their chances are NONE if Croyle plays.

vailpass
12-14-2010, 01:19 PM
You got an extra one? I had that removed as well.;)

:D

Red Dawg
12-14-2010, 02:49 PM
You can't change your regular plan because of the back up QB. That's just mailing it in and playing to lose. Gotta give the guy a shot and go down swinging at least.

matthews1733
12-14-2010, 03:58 PM
i swear to GOD, Chiefs fans are the most hilarious people on earth. haha

RINGLEADER
12-14-2010, 05:33 PM

That's what I was thinking.

What a weird quote from Haley...

Tribal Warfare
12-14-2010, 06:01 PM
Cassel is playing this week. You'd have to strap him to his bed to get him not to play. The team isn't dumb they know what's at stake and they know their chances are NONE if Croyle plays.

If they allow Croyle to throw the ball like he did against the Ravens then everything will be fine

Chiefs Pantalones
12-14-2010, 06:03 PM
If they allow Croyle to throw the ball like he did against the Ravens then everything will be fine

Right. I don't want to find out.

Tribal Warfare
12-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Right. I don't want to find out.

Yeah, if you want to go on a parade how Cassel is an efficient as QB, then don't forget the Raven game where Croyle did a good job also.

-King-
12-14-2010, 06:07 PM

He fucking sucks. He treats a 5 yard throw the same as he treats a 30 yarder.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefs Pantalones
12-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Yeah, if you want to go on a parade how Cassel is an efficient as QB, then don't forget the Raven game where Croyle did a good job also.

ROFL I'm not gonna go on like the other posters do and try and defend Cassel. He's the starting QB, he has his ups and downs and he has 23tds and 4 ints. I don't have to defend him.

Croyle is the backup for a reason; for many reasons. Duh. It's not rocket science.

stevieray
12-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Yeah, if you want to go on a parade how Cassel is an efficient as QB, then don't forget the Raven game where Croyle did a good job also.that's almost thirty games ago..of not being on the field.

Brodie had his chance, he couldn't stay healthy.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-14-2010, 06:15 PM
that's almost thirty games ago..of not being on the field.

Brodie had his chance, he couldn't stay healthy.

I wonder if other fanbases have this much of a hard on for their backup QB. I'd understand if the backup was actually good, but Croyle is shit.

Pablo
12-14-2010, 06:36 PM
CHIEFS vs rammies. Battle of Missouri, now that we know we need CASSEL, he'll be back and we will go to ST louie and WIN that Govenor's Cup, WIN the rest of the games and ROCK ON through the playoffs and then WIN the SUPER CUP.

Rock ON!!! GO CHIEFS!!!Yeah man.

I hope we can compete for the Super Plate and the Super Fork as well. That would be sweeeeeeeet.

Reerun_KC
12-14-2010, 06:42 PM
I wonder if other fanbases have this much of a hard on for their backup QB. I'd understand if the backup was actually good, but Croyle is shit.

Its been this way since I can remember and I have been watching since 1987/1988....

Chiefs fans are pretty sure that there is a HOF QB on the bench if the Coaching staff would just run the right plays for him and give him a shot...

We need to stop hand cuffing our backup players...

crossbow
12-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Is this another "Chiefs hope to win more games" article? Naw, it is a smoke screen by Haley. Matt is realy prepairing for the Giants who were stranded in KCI.

milkman
12-14-2010, 07:25 PM

You mean the game where he barely averaged 5 yards per attempt and 4 yards per completion?

That game?

milkman
12-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Its been this way since I can remember and I have been watching since 1987/1988....

Chiefs fans are pretty sure that there is a HOF QB on the bench if the Coaching staff would just run the right plays for him and give him a shot...

We need to stop hand cuffing our backup players...

Chiefs fan were pining for Lenny's backup to play back in the day.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-14-2010, 07:35 PM
You mean the game where he barely averaged 5 yards per attempt and 4 yards per completion?

That game?
Yep. There's no point in even discussing Croyle. He's had his chances.

"Gannon-lite" FTW.:banghead:

GREAT Warrior
12-15-2010, 09:34 AM
Yep. There's no point in even discussing Croyle. He's had his chances.

"Gannon-lite" FTW.:banghead:

I wish Croyle would've showed us something, but nothing is all we got. You could blame the game plan, but when time comes to perform, you must perform. I question him as a backup now. :deevee:

Reerun_KC
12-15-2010, 09:40 AM
i swear to GOD, Chiefs fans are the most hilarious people on earth. haha

Stick around for the months leading up to the draft, if you want to see comedy at its finest...

HemiEd
12-15-2010, 10:43 AM

As long as they don't wait until he is in huge hole.

Reerun_KC
12-15-2010, 10:45 AM
As long as they don't wait until he is in huge hole.

Thankfully, that will probably be the last time ol Croyle is handcuffed in an offense...

HemiEd
12-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Thankfully, that will probably be the last time ol Croyle is handcuffed in an offense...

He took most of the sizzle out of my support for him, but it isn't totally dead.

It is really hard for me to feel too sorry for him, he has a lot money, he is young, and is married to hot woman.