PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs deserving of the Pro-Bowl?

cmh6476
12-20-2010, 09:06 AM
Wasn't that long ago when there were always some bright red helmets out on the field, but the last couple years there hasn't been much reason to watch if you're just wathcing to see some Chiefs.

This year it feels like we definitely should have some players sent, although after checking this recent article it almost feels like some of our players have an up-hill battle:

Vick continues to lead fan vote By Lisa Altobelli |
Published: December 15th, 2010 | Tags: Michael Vick, Brian Urlacher, Julius Peppers, Mark Sanchez, Matt Ryan, Maurice Jones-Drew, Peyton Manning, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tom Brady
Michael Vick may be sad that he’s prohibited from buying a dog, but the fact that his fans are showing him lots of Pro Bowl love should cure his puppy blues. Vick currently leads all players in fan voting for the second week in a row, beating “Tom Terrific” by 34,493 nods.

The top five remain unchanged from last week with Brady and Peyton Manning just swapping the two and three spots:

Top Ten Pro Bowl Fan Votes:

1. QB Michael Vick, Eagles 981,687
2. QB Tom Brady, Patriots 947,194
3. QB Peyton Manning, Colts 806,025
4. RB Adrian Peterson, Vikings 736,603
5. QB Aaron Rodgers, Packers 690,619
6. QB Drew Brees, Saints 662,953
7. QB Philip Rivers, Chargers 633,269
8. RB Arian Foster, Texans 519,154
9. QB Matt Ryan, Falcons 519,154
10. QB David Garrard, Jaguars 479,018

Other interesting moves and notes:

QBs Matt Ryan and David Garrard cracked the top ten, bumping Antonio Gates and Chris Johnson in the process. CJ had a big game with 111 rushing yards against the Colts this week, but his Titans are flailing having dropped six in a row. And the Chargers’ Gates is still hobbled by plantar fasciitis (which is seriously painful if you’ve ever had it — like Natalie Portman’s bloodied “Black Swan” toes type painful. Just awful).
Hahhh-rvard man Ryan Fitzpatrick made it into the top five for AFC QBs, and after the Jets back-to-back losses, Mark Sanchez dropped out of that group to make room for Garrard.
Despite the blizzard beat down on Sunday, the Bears’ Brian Urlacher and Julius Peppers still lead at ILB and DE, respectively, for the NFC .
Maurice Jones-Drew is second overall in the league with 1,278 rushing yards (only 52 behind Foster), but MJD is currently only in fourth place in the tight AFC RB race, with Foster, Johnson and Peyton Hillis all ahead of him in votes.
Balloting ends after the Dec. 20 “Monday Night Football” Bears-Vikings freeze game. Fans can vote at NFL.com/probowl or at Facebook.com/NFL under the “Pro Bowl” tab. The fans’ vote counts for one-third of the selection process, with the coaches’ and players’ picks making up the remaining two-thirds.

The official announcement will be made on NFL Network on Tuesday, Dec. 28 at 7 p.m. ET.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/12/15/vick-continues-to-lead-fan-vote/

Brady, Manning, Rivers and even Garrard and Fitzpatrick are getting more love than Cassel. Fitzpatrick and Garrard, really? And it really feels like Carr and Flowers are long-shots with guys with the name recognition like Champ and Revis, but they've been playing their asses off this year. And Charles will have a tough time fighting against Foster, Rice and CJ.

Might not be much longer before some of our guys are also household names across the country, but it really feels like we'll have some guys get slighted this year.

Micjones
12-20-2010, 09:09 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if only KC Offensive Linemen got Pro Bowl nods.
It's not yet fashionable for the Chiefs to get credit nationally.

beer bacon
12-20-2010, 09:12 AM
Charles and Bowe should definitely make it. Cassel is close, but I would put in Brady, Rivers, and Manning. On defense Hali, Flowers, DJ, and Dorsey all deserve consideration.

KcFaNiNJerZeY
12-20-2010, 09:12 AM
If atleast one Chief should be in there it should be Bowe...he's played great football all year and he's one of the top 5 WRs this year. He probably won't make it because the pro bowl is a joke just like the NBA all-star game. And if Bowe doesn't make it atleast get Charles in there.

Norman Einstein
12-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Wasn't that long ago when there were always some bright red helmets out on the field, but the last couple years there hasn't been much reason to watch if you're just wathcing to see some Chiefs.

This year it feels like we definitely should have some players sent, although after checking this recent article it almost feels like some of our players have an up-hill battle:

Might not be much longer before some of our guys are also household names across the country, but it really feels like we'll have some guys get slighted this year.

The Chiefs won't be Pro-Bowl perennials until the sustain the top spot for another year or two.

Right now the only fans in the country voting for Chiefs are pretty much Chiefs fans, nobody else seems to care. The Edwards curse lives on.

MOhillbilly
12-20-2010, 09:14 AM
charles

beer bacon
12-20-2010, 09:16 AM
Charles should definitely be in. He should be the second guy behind Foster. He is first in the AFC yards per carry (6.4), first in yards per touch (catches and carries), 3rd in rushing yards (1,300), and 2nd in yards from scrimmage (1,700).

booger
12-20-2010, 09:19 AM
charles.

Weigmann or Waters because of the running game.

Bowe, Flowers, and DJ have played at a high level but don't quite have the numbers for pb votes.

booger
12-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Copper for sp. teams player

Huffman83
12-20-2010, 09:23 AM
Besides the entire offensive line, Charles, Hali and Bowe have potential to be pro bowlers. As far as Carr and and Flowers...If they caught some of the passes that they dropped they would pretty much be a lock, but passes defended don't get you the glamorous stats or the highlights on Sportscenter most of the time.

MOhillbilly
12-20-2010, 09:24 AM
carr has overall played better than flowers this season imo.

Sofa King
12-20-2010, 09:24 AM
Berry might make it.

Norman Einstein
12-20-2010, 09:25 AM
carr has overall played better than flowers this season imo.
If Carr had soft hands instead of bricks he'd have a bunch of INT's. Defending a pass is almost as good as an int, but falls short.

MOhillbilly
12-20-2010, 09:25 AM
Berry might make it.

Longshot.

booger
12-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Along with Tamba and Gilberry those 2 (carr and flowers) hopefully get locked up with contract ext's.

All but Tamba could have restricted FA protection like DJ was this year depending on the CBA situation.

Norman Einstein
12-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Along with Tamba and Gilberry those 2 (carr and flowers) hopefully get locked up with contract ext's.

All but Tamba could have restricted FA protection like DJ was this year depending on the CBA situation.

If they CBA does not come about and there is a strike or lockout all of the progress the Chiefs have made could be for naught.

Molitoth
12-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Charles
Bowe
Hali

Hog Farmer
12-20-2010, 09:30 AM
Tyson Jackson should definitely go.

To another team.

Slainte
12-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Berry might make it.

Doubt it. I don't think anyone other than Chiefs fans know he's having a good year.

I don't think many people know he playes for the Chiefs, as far as that goes.

booger
12-20-2010, 09:35 AM
If they CBA does not come about and there is a strike or lockout all of the progress the Chiefs have made could be for naught.

a work stoppage is nothing but bad for the whole league in this bad of an economy. Good thing about all those listed except Tamba is they are 3rd year players and i can't see them agreeing on unrestricted FA eligibility for players after 4 or 5 years.

notorious
12-20-2010, 09:47 AM
If atleast one Chief should be in there it should be Bowe...he's played great football all year.

Really?

I seem to remember a few big drops along with disappearing for two games. The best in the game don't do that.

Bowe has also played some very good games, but let's not get out of hand here.

notorious
12-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Charles should definitely be in. He should be the second guy behind Foster. He is first in the AFC yards per carry (6.4), first in yards per touch (catches and carries), 3rd in rushing yards (1,300), and 2nd in yards from scrimmage (1,700).

He is essential to the Chiefs winning games.

With or without stats he is a Probowler.

MOhillbilly
12-20-2010, 09:58 AM
He is essential to the Chiefs winning games.

With or without stats he is a Probowler.

hes puttin up madden numbers.

notorious
12-20-2010, 09:59 AM
hes puttin up madden numbers.

Tecmo Super Bowl numbers. :)

Well, maybe not quite.......

kcchiefsus
12-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Fuck that white trash hillbilly Hillis, no way he deserves it over Charles.

Direckshun
12-20-2010, 10:18 AM
I'd love it if Garrard made it.

Hard not to love David Garrard.

jjchieffan
12-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Not saying I am surprised by it, because he is a future HOFer, but no way Manning should be #3 in votes this year. 11 picks in 3 games would be enough to keep most any other QB in the league off the pro bowl roster, yet there he is. Based on previous years experience only. The Colts 3 game skid falls directly on his shoulders for the 11 picks and 4 pick sixes. Look at SD. Despite their terrible start, You couldn't pin a single loss on Cry me a Rivers. That is a Pro Bowl season. Based on this years play, Brady and Rivers are obvious 1&2 for the AFC. Schaub, Cassel, and even Fitzpatrick are more deserving that Peyton for the third spot

Rausch
12-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Fan vote = most popular players.

Feh...

Rain Man
12-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Charles should be a lock, even if he won't be.

Cassel's stats warrant it, and his last five weeks or so warrant it. I don't see him making it over the big names at this point, and the first 6 or 7 weeks is kind of an anchor on him.

I don't see Bowe making it. He's got good stats, but there are too many big names to compete against who make highlight film catches.

With our running game, I think one of our lineman will get the nod this year, with Waters being the obvious candidate.

Succop doesn't get enough attempts to be considered, even though I really like him.

Colquitt is great, but there's too much competition at his position with Scifres and Lechler.

Flowers should get it, and might sneak in after the big names get their slots. Maybe he can squeeze in if Revis' injury and Bailey's quitting and Finnegan's general thuggery cost them all votes. Carr's last few weeks deserve consideration, but he's not yet there. Getting better every week, though.

Don't laugh, but Derrick Johnson deserves consideration. I don't think he'll get a spot, but he deserves to be considered.

Tamba Hali should make it. It'll be interesting to see if he does.

Glenn Dorsey is my dark horse to make it. The guy plays great, and there's a reason why our run defense has been solid. Smith has been good, but Dorsey has been great in his role. He may not have the stats to show for it, but he should be in the mix.

Rausch
12-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Glenn Dorsey is my dark horse to make it. The guy plays great, and there's a reason why our run defense has been solid. Smith has been good, but Dorsey has been great in his role. He may not have the stats to show for it, but he should be in the mix.

The probowl hates 3-4 DE's that don't play for the Steelers...

CoMoChief
12-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Charles and Bowe should definitely make it. Cassel is close, but I would put in Brady, Rivers, and Manning. On defense Hali, Flowers, DJ, and Dorsey all deserve consideration.

Dorsey IMO isn't playing at a Pro Bowl level.

Not to say he hasn't played well this season, he has...but he's not there yet.

CoMoChief
12-20-2010, 12:07 PM
IMO these 3 players should all make the Pro Bowl:
WR Dwayne Bowe
RB Jamaal Charles
OLB Tamba Hali

These players are close, but won't either because of name recognition of the players at their respected positions:
QB Matt Cassel (Tom Brady, Philip Rivers, Peyton Manning - Those 3 probably have a lifetime appointment to the QB AFC probowl spots)
ILB Derrick Johnson - Ray Lewis, Jerrod Mayo, and the Pittsburgh Steelers
CB Brandon Flowers - IMO if he didn't get injured he'd be up there, but ever since that injury he really hasn't been the same, has had some sub par games the 2nd half of the season. AND....it's hard when Champ Bailey, Darrell Revis, and even Nnamdi Asomugha clog up those spots, there big names

Phobia
12-20-2010, 12:15 PM
I don't care about individual player awards. Seen plenty of those over the years and it's really meaningless to me. I want to see a nice team award. That's all I really care about at this juncture. Tony Gonzalez made the pro-bowl every year and it didn't ever bring me any personal satisfaction. It's something to talk about, I guess. Maybe.

Zeke
12-20-2010, 12:16 PM
either Lilja or Waters will be a pro-bowler. I would say Lilja, but Waters has been there before and will probably get the name-rec thing to his advantage.

Bowe will be there. I don't think Charles will get in, even though he should.

That's about it. Hali will be on the fringe but probably won't make it.

JTagg7754
12-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Only KC players worth a big IMO are Charles and Bowe.

Bowser
12-20-2010, 12:19 PM
We don't really have anyone onthis team that is bringing the eye popping stats other than Bowe's TD total and Hali's sacks, and I I wouldn't be suprised if both didn't make it. Charles SHOULD make it, but won't due to lack of touchdowns.

It's a popularity/stats competition.

Zeke
12-20-2010, 02:36 PM
We don't really have anyone onthis team that is bringing the eye popping stats other than Bowe's TD total and Hali's sacks, and I I wouldn't be suprised if both didn't make it. Charles SHOULD make it, but won't due to lack of touchdowns.

It's a popularity/stats competition.

You don't think that having the #1 rushing attack isn't eye popping regarding the play of the Line and consideration for Pro-Bowl slots?

HotRoute
12-20-2010, 02:48 PM
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if not a single chief makes it, it's a big popularity contest and without the national media drooling over the chiefs people won't even think to vote for bowe,Charles,Hali or anyone else on the chiefs.