PDA

View Full Version : Weather Cassel on King's MVP list

the Talking Can
12-20-2010, 09:21 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/12/19/week-15-mmqb/3.html

MVP Watch

1. Tom Brady, QB, New England. He's had better games than his pedestrian win over the Packers, but with two weeks to go, riding a 21-touchdown, no-interception streak, I don't see how he can lose the MVP.

2. Michael Vick, QB, Philadelphia. Though he's missed 17 of 52 Eagle quarters, his fourth quarter Sunday convinced me he belongs on this list, and second only to Brady. Leading his adopted offense to three touchdowns in the final eight minutes of the most important game of the year ... simply phenomenal.

3. Matt Ryan, QB, Atlanta. The Falcons' eight-game winning streak is the longest in football, and even though Ryan doesn't have the numbers of other quarterbacks, he's played intelligently, turned it over only five times in the winning streak and played well in the fourth quarter. He just wins.

4. Philip Rivers, QB, San Diego. Last seven games: San Diego's 6-1, Rivers has six 100-plus-rating games and five 70-percent passing games. Playing great when it matters most.

5. Matt Cassel, QB, Kansas City. This is value: Cassel-less Chiefs go to playoff-contending Chargers, lose by 31; Cassel plays with Chiefs at playoff-contending Rams and win by 14.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/12/19/week-15-mmqb/index.html#ixzz18fZkgZSc

The Bad Guy
12-20-2010, 09:22 AM
He absolutely should be in the discussion. He's not the top candidate but in the definition of MVP, he's definitely deserving of the praise.

CaliforniaChief
12-20-2010, 09:28 AM
I'm leaning towards Vick. His impact on the Eagles has been nothing short of spectacular. And on a side note, am I glad I snatched him up after Week 1 of the season for my FFL team.

HemiEd
12-20-2010, 09:30 AM
Who woulda thunk it in October?

I didn't think it would ever happen, let alone this year.

Cave Johnson
12-20-2010, 09:34 AM
PK is a fraud that doesn't watch Chiefs games and is over-weighting irrelevancies like stats and scores.

The Bad Guy
12-20-2010, 09:37 AM
PK is a fraud that doesn't watch Chiefs games and is over-weighting irrelevancies like stats and scores.

See I love this argument.

Like yesterday, when discussing Cassel and people saying he had a really good game, the detractors said "look at the stat line".

However, when people bring up his stats for the year, the detractors say that "stats don't tell the story".

It can't be both ways.

loochy
12-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Cassel is having a good season, and I'm very glad for that. I'm excited about this team in the coming years now.

However, Cassel isn't MVP-level.

This is not Cassel hating. I've grown to like the guy, but MVP talk is taking things a little far. Charles should be ahead of him in MVP talk.

B_Ambuehl
12-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Cassell isn't even the MVP of this team. Jamal Charles makes this offense go.

Chief Henry
12-20-2010, 09:44 AM
The future does look good for the KC Chiefs. They have a chance to go 10-6 and host a playoff game. The new brass at Arrowhead has this team heading in the right direction. I'm anxious to see how they tweak and make upgrades to the team in the offseason.

Just win baby.

FringeNC
12-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Cassel is big, tough, athletic, and has all the intangibles you want in a QB. Plus we have some bright coaches who will be able to refine Cassel more. We appear to be in pretty good shape on the QB front for some years.

Cave Johnson
12-20-2010, 09:47 AM
The future does look good for the KC Chiefs. They have a chance to go 10-6 and host a playoff game. The new brass at Arrowhead has this team heading in the right direction. I'm anxious to see how they tweak and make upgrades to the team in the offseason.

Just win baby.

10-6 won't make the playoffs.

Taco John
12-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Peter King is such a New England homer.

I agree that Cassel has had a decent season worth noticing... But MVP? It's a joke to suggest Cassel belongs anywhere near the MVP discussion, especially based on a win vs. The Rams.

Cave Johnson
12-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Like yesterday, when discussing Cassel and people saying he had a really good game, the detractors said "look at the stat line".

The usual suspects, I'd imagine.

Personally, I thought Cassel played well under the circumstances (limited reps, injury, terrible route by Moeaki on the int, first quarter drops).

loochy
12-20-2010, 09:49 AM
10-6 won't make the playoffs.

Can we do like college teams do and switch divisions? Let's go to the NFC West!

Rausch
12-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Don't blame King.

If you'd never watched a Chiefs game and had to guess at some reason we're 3rd in the AFC (FUCK YEAH! SUCK THAT SHIT!) you'd probably stumble on Cassholes numbers and stop there...

Pestilence
12-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Jamaal Charles?

Pestilence
12-20-2010, 09:51 AM
And that's no discredit to Cassel either. He's been playing way better than I thought he would this year.

loochy
12-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Jamaal Charles?

Needs carries.

Pestilence
12-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Needs carries.

Amen brotha. Amen.

Pestilence
12-20-2010, 09:55 AM
And I think I gotta go with Vick.

HemiEd
12-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Cassel is having a good season, and I'm very glad for that. I'm excited about this team in the coming years now.

This is not Cassel hating. I've grown to like the guy, but MVP talk is taking things a little far. Charles should be ahead of him in MVP talk.

This.

He is one hell of a leader though, and I would put him in the top 3 in that catagory.

Who knows what his ceiling is, as he gains more confidence and experience?

The guy has won me over, there is just something about winning that is so cool.

Cave Johnson
12-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Can we do like college teams do and switch divisions? Let's go to the NFC West!

It's working out nicely for the Seachickens.

unothadeal
12-20-2010, 09:59 AM

Not true.

loochy
12-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Not true.

I agree. Copper is really the glue that holds this thing tight.

wazu
12-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Has the MVP ever not made it to the Pro Bowl?

Chiefnj2
12-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Cassel returning quickly, taking hits and showing his toughness and loyalty definitely raised the play of the other players on the team.

loochy
12-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Has the MVP ever not made it to the Pro Bowl?

I would actually like it if that happened. It would be a big FU to all the fans that consistently pick guys based on popularity rather than performance.

chiefsnorth
12-20-2010, 10:06 AM
But, b_gifhorse told me he sucks balls and the entire team is a complete fraud

Alton deFlat
12-20-2010, 10:06 AM

I'd have to disagree. I think Cassell is the offensive MVP on this team.

Marcellus
12-20-2010, 10:09 AM
I'd have to disagree. I think Cassell is the offensive MVP on this team.

That was proven in SD.

Rausch
12-20-2010, 10:14 AM
That was proven in SD.

:rolleyes:

loochy
12-20-2010, 10:16 AM
That was proven in SD.

Ah, but was the problem the lack of Cassel's greatness or was it Brodie's suckiness or was it the terrible playcalling or was it the team rolling over at the thought of their QB being gone? Maybe it was a combo of all of the above.

Pushead2
12-20-2010, 10:17 AM
oh well, nice mention. Nothing more.

Rausch
12-20-2010, 10:17 AM
oh well, nice mention. Nothing more.

This...

beer bacon
12-20-2010, 10:19 AM
The jury is still out on Cassel. Call me when he demolishes New England in the Super Bowl. Until then everyone can STFU about how great he is.

Cave Johnson
12-20-2010, 10:21 AM
The jury is still out on Cassel. Call me when he demolishes New England in the Super Bowl. Until then everyone can STFU about how great he is.

Is that sarcasm? Because there are a couple things wrong with that scenario...

Frosty
12-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Call me when he demolishes New England in the Super Bowl.

Don't wait by the phone.

beer bacon
12-20-2010, 10:22 AM

What? All I am asking is that he gets the Chiefs moved to the NFC-West so we can dominate and beat down NE for the championship? LOL Casshole can't even handle that and you homers are singing his praises.

Pushead2
12-20-2010, 10:22 AM

call us when you understand on how the NFL playoff system works.

loochy
12-20-2010, 10:23 AM

We are moving to the NFC west. :D

JTagg7754
12-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Cassel is good but come on... he's not even the 5th best QB in the league let alone a freaking MVP candidate. PK must've decided to go back to the 70's and toy around w/ that herb he got used to before.

Rausch
What? All I am asking is that he gets the Chiefs moved to the NFC-West so we can dominate and beat down NE for the championship? LOL Casshole can't even handle that and you homers are singing his praises.

So all those wins vs the NFCW were imaginary?

And we didn't split with the Donks and Chargers both?

And we aren't undefeated at home?

And we don't have the best running game in the NFL?...

beer bacon

Sorry, but my qualifications for Cassel to be considered good are perfectly realistic. Just like all the other geniouses that have been attacking him the last nine months.

BushyTheBeaver

Yeah but it be true that if he demolishes the Pats in the Super Bowl that'd be an incredible achievement. Like when the Maple Leafs beat the Lakers in the World Series.

King_Chief_Fan
call us when you understand on how the NFL playoff system works.ROFL

Rausch
12-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Cassel is good but come on... he's not even the 5th best QB in the league let alone a freaking MVP candidate. PK must've decided to go back to the 70's and toy around w/ that herb he got used to before.

King is by far the most worthless read in all of sports journalism...

Pushead2
12-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Sorry, but my qualifications for Cassel to be considered good are perfectly realistic. Just like all the other geniouses that have been attacking him the last nine months.

Hey I agree, he is a good QB, but we'll never play them in the SB. Only the road there :)

Pushead2
12-20-2010, 10:26 AM
We are moving to the NFC west. :D

forgive me, I was late with the headlines today :(

JTagg7754
12-20-2010, 10:27 AM
In fact, QBs I'd like to think are having better seasons than Cassel:

- Vick
- Brady
- Manning
- Brees
- Rivers
- Flacco
- Ryan
- Rodgers
- Hell Kyle Orton's numbers look better also

BushyTheBeaver
12-20-2010, 10:32 AM
King is by far the most worthless read in all of sports journalism...

Have you ever read Mike Freeman?

JTagg7754
12-20-2010, 10:35 AM
There are a ton of writers I would say are worse than King. King is terrible if he's talking baseball, that's one thing that's for sure.

DTLB58
12-20-2010, 10:58 AM
In fact, QBs I'd like to think are having better seasons than Cassel:

- Vick
- Brady
- Manning
- Brees
- Rivers
- Flacco
- Ryan
- Rodgers
- Hell Kyle Orton's numbers look better also

It's not always just about the #'s when you are talking MVP.
You take Cassel away from this team and you saw what happened last week.
You take Brady away from his team when he got hurt insert Cassel and they still won what 10 or 11 games.
Cassel deserves MVP consideration no doubt.

JTagg7754
12-20-2010, 11:02 AM
It's not always just about the #'s when you are talking MVP.
You take Cassel away from this team and you saw what happened last week.
You take Brady away from his team when he got hurt insert Cassel and they still won what 10 or 11 games.
Cassel deserves MVP consideration no doubt.

I rarely look at numbers. If you're gonna sit here and tell me that none of those QBs mean as much or more than Cassel to their respective teams, I'll say just give up.

There's even some more people I might put ahead but for the sake of debating something that will never happen I didn't do it.

Short Leash Hootie
12-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Tom Brady is the MVP...

which is a shame because Vick is having an amazing year...

but hell...Vick is going to get a monster contract so I think he's feeling pretty good with himself.

Short Leash Hootie
12-20-2010, 11:04 AM
hey JTagg...

if your gay ass Raiders had Cassel at QB rather than whatever suckass they decide to line up under center...

(oh and a competent coaching staff)

they'd probably be 12-2

JTagg7754
12-20-2010, 11:07 AM
hey JTagg...

if your gay ass Raiders had Cassel at QB rather than whatever suckass they decide to line up under center...

(oh and a competent coaching staff)

they'd probably be 12-2

Funny how you are talking shit. Would you mind telling me what happened a month back?? We played like shit and still won. Campbell did his best to GIVE that game to you but you didn't take it.

Now while I agree he isn't the guy we need at our QB, but to say Cassel is significantly better or our coaching staff sucks is something you might want to revisit. I know, I know "wait til January blah blah blah"

JTagg7754
12-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Oh but I do agree Brady is the MVP b/c he is. Dude is on FIRE

chiefzilla1501
12-20-2010, 11:09 AM

Completely agree.

Now, in my opinion, the Chiefs are starting to win games because of him and not in spite of him. And I do feel like losing him in SD was huge. But this team does 90% of the things they do because of the running game. That's not a slam on Cassel. The fact is that as Cassel was finding himself, we won most of the first half of games in spite of him.

Short Leash Hootie
12-20-2010, 11:09 AM
I was at the game a month back...

it took a miracle catch/Flowers fuck up to beat us at your house...

congratulations?

we're 5-0 at home (6-0 if you count St. Louis)...

so good luck winning your Super Bowl in 2 weeks...odds are we'll win by 10+

Rausch
12-20-2010, 11:10 AM

Who wouldn't?...

JTagg7754
12-20-2010, 11:14 AM

it took a miracle catch/Flowers fuck up to beat us at your house...

congratulations?

And our place is somewhere we haven't beat you guys at in 3 years. You have not beat us in your place in what.... 5 or something? And one play doesn't determine the outcome of a game. Why do so many people think that??

Again, WE GAVE THE GAME TO YOU and you didn't take it. That's the sign of a bad-average football team. Jason Campbell's faggot ass 8.6 first half rating WANTED you to win, but you guys didn't want to. Not our fault.

beer bacon
12-20-2010, 11:19 AM
And our place is somewhere we haven't beat you guys at in 3 years. You have not beat us in your place in what.... 5 or something? And one play doesn't determine the outcome of a game. Why do so many people think that??

Again, WE GAVE THE GAME TO YOU and you didn't take it. That's the sign of a bad-average football team. Jason Campbell's pillowbiter ass 8.6 first half rating WANTED you to win, but you guys didn't want to. Not our fault.

We're 9-5, and undefeated at home. We are going to curb stomp you're cheating team. J.C. Pearson on the radio this morning told him that former Raider Matt Millen told him they were instructed to punch, kick, or harm in another way any opposing player that found themselves in their bench. Cheaters.

Cave Johnson
12-20-2010, 11:23 AM

it took a miracle catch/Flowers **** up to beat us at your house...

congratulations?

Pssst, Hootie. Chiefs are actually 6-0 at home, not counting StL.

JTagg7754
12-20-2010, 11:24 AM
We're 9-5, and undefeated at home. We are going to curb stomp you're cheating team. J.C. Pearson on the radio this morning told him that former Raider Matt Millen told him they were instructed to punch, kick, or harm in another way any opposing player that found themselves in their bench. Cheaters.

http://www.socalbubble.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/baby_crying_closeup.jpg

Its football, EVERY team does it. GOI!!! And no one is denying they were dirty back in the day either homey.

KCrockaholic
12-20-2010, 11:25 AM

ROFL :shake:

KCrockaholic
12-20-2010, 11:27 AM

Again, WE GAVE THE GAME TO YOU and you didn't take it. That's the sign of a bad-average football team. Jason Campbell's pillowbiter ass 8.6 first half rating WANTED you to win, but you guys didn't want to. Not our fault.

Wow. Did you just pull numbers out of your ass without ever looking at them?

Typical for your fanbase/gang.

beer bacon
12-20-2010, 11:28 AM
http://www.socalbubble.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/baby_crying_closeup.jpg

Its football, EVERY team does it. GOI!!! And no one is denying they were dirty back in the day either homey.

You bastards better not cheap shot Cassel after he spikes the ball on your bitch asses.

Phobia
12-20-2010, 11:37 AM
When Peter King compares the playoff contending Rams to the playoff contending Chargers without making any other important qualifiers, there's a problem.

Jerm
12-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Cassel has thrown for more TDs than Vick and they have similar numbers in yards thrown and QB Rating...solo why is Vick such a shoe in MVP candidate but Cassel isn't?

Even going beyond numbers, Cassel is every bit as important to the Chiefs as any other MVP candidate. Take him off this offense and its an abortion.

Short Leash Hootie
12-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Vick has 8 rushing TD's, 650 rushing yards...

as well as his passing numbers...and he's missed 17 quarters this season

chiefzilla1501
12-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Cassel has thrown for more TDs than Vick and they have similar numbers in yards thrown and QB Rating...solo why is Vick such a shoe in MVP candidate but Cassel isn't?

Even going beyond numbers, Cassel is every bit as important to the Chiefs as any other MVP candidate. Take him off this offense and its an abortion.

Because in games Vick has played, he is a guy the defense absolutely schemes for. You can't just put any QB into the Eagles' system and ask him to do the same things Vick does, because nobody is nearly as athletic.

I guarantee you could put Matt Ryan or Drew Brees or Philip Rivers and ask him to do the same things Cassel has done this year and they could it, maybe even better.

I'm happy with Cassel's progress, but given the way we won games early in spite of lousy QB play and given that this is a run-first team, he's not in the conversation.

JTagg7754
12-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Wow. Did you just pull numbers out of your ass without ever looking at them?

Typical for your fanbase/gang.

??? What? I'm not gonna research something that isn't the point. Who cares exactly how long it's been. Only point is, it hasn't happened in a while.

I can't believe I had to explain that... then I remembered where I am.

JTagg7754
12-20-2010, 11:55 AM
You bastards better not cheap shot Cassel after he spikes the ball on your bitch asses.

And looking at recent instances, when exactly has anything like this occurred??

beer bacon
12-20-2010, 11:57 AM
And looking at recent instances, when exactly has anything like this occurred??

Isn't one of your d-linemen known for gabbing nuts in the pile? Bastards.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-20-2010, 11:57 AM
I agree. Copper is really the glue that holds this thing tight.

ROFL

JTagg7754
12-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Isn't one of your d-linemen known for gabbing nuts in the pile? Bastards.

Never heard this once. Maybe try finding something and presenting it to me.

OnTheWarpath58
12-20-2010, 12:14 PM
When Peter King compares the playoff contending Rams to the playoff contending Chargers without making any other important qualifiers, there's a problem.

Ding.

OnTheWarpath58
12-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Because in games Vick has played, he is a guy the defense absolutely schemes for. You can't just put any QB into the Eagles' system and ask him to do the same things Vick does, because nobody is nearly as athletic.

I guarantee you could put Matt Ryan or Drew Brees or Philip Rivers and ask him to do the same things Cassel has done this year and they could it, maybe even better.

I'm happy with Cassel's progress, but given the way we won games early in spite of lousy QB play and given that this is a run-first team, he's not in the conversation.

Excellent post.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Vick.

Count Zarth
12-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Matt Cassel wouldn't let the Chiefs lose.

On Sunday morning, Cassel, the Chiefs quarterback, was 11 days removed from an emergency appendectomy. But he went out on the field at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis, "and I told coach [Todd Haley] I'd be honest with him, and I was able to do everything without reservation. We didn't have to hold anything out of the game plan because of my situation. We did sprint out throws, boots, play-action. No problem.''

Cassel missed the Chiefs' 31-0 loss at San Diego last week that seemed to underscore the team's need for him. They got nothing going on offense, didn't convert a third down all day, and seemed vulnerable heading into their final three games of the year with only a half-game lead in the AFC West. And the slump continued early in St. Louis, when the Rams kicked two first-quarter field goals and picked off Cassel, riling up the crowd.

"I told the guys, 'Don't get overwhelmed,' '' Cassel told me. " 'Withstand the storm. We'll be fine.' ''

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Matt Cassel wouldn't let the Chiefs lose.

On Sunday morning, Cassel, the Chiefs quarterback, was 11 days removed from an emergency appendectomy. But he went out on the field at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis, "and I told coach [Todd Haley] I'd be honest with him, and I was able to do everything without reservation. We didn't have to hold anything out of the game plan because of my situation. We did sprint out throws, boots, play-action. No problem.''

Cassel missed the Chiefs' 31-0 loss at San Diego last week that seemed to underscore the team's need for him. They got nothing going on offense, didn't convert a third down all day, and seemed vulnerable heading into their final three games of the year with only a half-game lead in the AFC West. And the slump continued early in St. Louis, when the Rams kicked two first-quarter field goals and picked off Cassel, riling up the crowd.

"I told the guys, 'Don't get overwhelmed,' '' Cassel told me. " 'Withstand the storm. We'll be fine.' ''

The mighty, mighty, St. Louis storm...

The Bad Guy
12-20-2010, 12:28 PM
LOL at the Raider troll saying that Kyle Orton and Joe Flacco are having better years than Matt Cassel.

PunkinDrublic
12-20-2010, 12:29 PM
Brady is the MVP. Pats have rolled most of the powerhouse teams in the AFC.

The Bad Guy
12-20-2010, 12:30 PM
The mighty, mighty, St. Louis storm...

It's sad it's become more about trying to always knock the guy down instead of celebrating wins.

You've become the 2010 version of Reerun/Herm.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-20-2010, 12:31 PM
It's sad it's become more about trying to always knock the guy down instead of celebrating wins.

You've become the 2010 version of Reerun/Herm.

He'll get his chance soon enough.

JTagg7754
12-20-2010, 12:32 PM
LOL at the Raider troll saying that Kyle Orton and Joe Flacco are having better years than Matt Cassel.

Care to explain Flacco??

Also if you could comprehend anything past a 3rd grade level, you'd see I said Orton's numbers LOOK better not that they ARE better nor that he is having a better year. So if I'm a troll, which I am not, then you're a waste of natural resources.

KCrockaholic
12-20-2010, 12:34 PM
??? What? I'm not gonna research something that isn't the point. Who cares exactly how long it's been. Only point is, it hasn't happened in a while.

I can't believe I had to explain that... then I remembered where I am.

Do you enjoy pulling shit out of your ass and being wrong? Cause you're good at it.

Rausch
12-20-2010, 12:35 PM
Care to explain Flacco??

Mat Casshole +10 on arm strength...

JTagg7754
12-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Mat Casshole +10 on arm strength...

Oh shit, we're doing Madden rankings also!! Mah bad thanks for clearing that up dude!

Extra Point
12-20-2010, 12:59 PM
What body is it that awards the NFL MVP?

Rausch
12-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Oh shit, we're doing Madden rankings also!! Mah bad thanks for clearing that up dude!

What the fuck else did some guy expect a random drunk fan to come up with?

He think I had some detailed algorithm laid out for the whole Casshole/Flachole comparison?...