PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Hornets to KC now ?

ROYC75
12-20-2010, 04:27 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101220/ap_on_sp_bk_ne/bkn_hornets_sale

NBA buys the team.

Pants
12-20-2010, 04:45 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101220/ap_on_sp_bk_ne/bkn_hornets_sale

NBA buys the team.

Stern says the franchise is worth about $300 million and that the league will look to sell the club to a more permanent owner, preferably one that would continue to operate the team in New Orleans.

OnTheWarpath58
12-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Stern says the franchise is worth about $300 million and that the league will look to sell the club to a more permanent owner, preferably one that would continue to operate the team in New Orleans.

I was wondering why anyone would think this would pave the way for the Hornets to move to KC.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-20-2010, 04:46 PM

Signed,

Clay Bennett

OnTheWarpath58
12-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Signed,

Clay Bennett

I read an article the other day that speculated that if they didn't stay in New Orleans, they'd move to Seattle.

Thought of you.

Rams Fan
12-20-2010, 04:48 PM
Signed,

Clay Bennett

The City of Seattle wouldn't build a new arena. That isn't the problem in New Orleans. No one shows up to games.

Saul Good
12-20-2010, 04:50 PM
I was wondering why anyone would think this would pave the way for the Hornets to move to KC.

An owner with ties to NO might be willing to lose money in order to keep the team there. The NBA owners aren't going to want to play UNICEF for another city.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-20-2010, 04:51 PM
I read an article the other day that speculated that if they didn't stay in New Orleans, they'd move to Seattle.

Thought of you.

Honestly, I couldn't give a fuck. I'm done with the NBA, for life.

The City of Seattle wouldn't build a new arena. That isn't the problem in New Orleans. No one shows up to games.

Absolutely. I mean, how dare a city who spent $325 million dollars renovating their basketball arena 15 years before that, refuse to build a brand new one? Stupid citizens, and politicians.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qV4QLK0HnOc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qV4QLK0HnOc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Saul Good
12-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Honestly, I couldn't give a ****. I'm done with the NBA, for life.

Absolutely. I mean, how dare a city who spent $325 million dollars renovating their basketball arena 15 years before that, refuse to build a brand new one? Stupid citizens, and politicians.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qV4QLK0HnOc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qV4QLK0HnOc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

In fairness, it doesn't matter how old the arena is. Either it's an NBA caliber arena or it isn't.

OnTheWarpath58
12-20-2010, 04:55 PM

Can't blame you. I'd be the same way if the Blues ever left town, and I'm a huge hockey fan.

I just don't see KC as any better of a market than New Orleans.

Hell, KC is supposedly a football town, yet there are still thousands of empty seats on Sundays.

The Hornets might draw well for a year or two, then the novelty will wear off, and they'll be right back to where they stand now.

In a market without support.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-20-2010, 04:55 PM
In fairness, it doesn't matter how old the arena is. Either it's an NBA caliber arena or it isn't.

We'll see how people feel about that, when they're asked to build a new arena every 5 years. Gotta keep up with the latest trends and all.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Can't blame you. I'd be the same way if the Blues ever left town, and I'm a huge hockey fan.

Hell, KC is supposedly a football town, yet there are still thousands of empty seats on Sundays.

The Hornets might draw well for a year or two, then the novelty will wear off, and they'll be right back to where they stand now.

Yeah, and let's face it. Sprint is about due to be torn down and rebuilt by now. It's just not NBA caliber anymore. :facepalm:

Rams Fan
12-20-2010, 04:56 PM

It became outdated by NBA standards. Sonics fans did nothing wrong. It was just Bennett not wanting to negotiate with the City of Seattle.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-20-2010, 04:57 PM
It became outdated by NBA standards. Sonics fans did nothing wrong. It was just Bennett not wanting to negotiate with the City of Seattle.

Funny. Every time I think I'm over the whole thing, I find myself hoping that the guy watches his entire family get sodomized by a 400lb man.

OnTheWarpath58
Yeah, and let's face it. Sprint is about due to be torn down and rebuilt by now. It's just not NBA caliber anymore. :facepalm:

LMAO

I feel your pain, brother.

PS- How's the gig going? Feel free to shoot a PM if you'd rather not go public.

Saul Good
We'll see how people feel about that, when they're asked to build a new arena every 5 years. Gotta keep up with the latest trends and all.

I don't know anything about the arena from first-hand experience, but I've heard that it was a complete POS unfit for an NBA team. In your opinion, was the arena a viable NBA venue?

Rams Fan
12-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Flopnuts, if the NBA ever returned to Seattle, would you support the new Sonics?

OnTheWarpath58
12-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Flopnuts, if the NBA ever returned to Seattle, would you support the new Sonics?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say.....no.

Gonzo
12-20-2010, 04:59 PM
I heard the Hornets are looking at a house in Overland Park.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Flopnuts
12-20-2010, 05:00 PM
I don't know anything about the arena from first-hand experience, but I've heard that it was a complete POS unfit for an NBA team. In your opinion, was the arena a viable NBA venue?

No. Greg Nickels, and the Seattle City Counsel had their fair share of fuck ups in the situation. But Barry Ackerley (the former owner of the Sonics), and Howard Schultz are just as big of villains in the whole ordeal as Clay Bennett IMHO. They can all die in a fucking fire AFAIC. It is what it is, I s'pose. That said, it wasn't as bad as people in OK heard. That's for sure.

Never. That whole league is dead to me.

kchero
12-20-2010, 05:02 PM
The problem in NO is that there is not much fan support (I think I heard something around 26th or something in the league in attendence)..and this is with a winning team. Also there is no local ownership that is looking to step up and purchase the team.

Possible relocation sites that I have read being discussed by various media outlets:

Kansas City - Great top notch arena, but no possible local ownership seems to be currently interested.

Anaheim - Since the LA market has two teams already, the market seems to be a bit too saturated.

Seattle - Lost their team because of stadium issues and the city government is not interested in building another one anytime soon. Good fan support and market size for the NBA.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Seattle won't have a new arena built unless one of the Microsoft gajillionaires decide to do it for publicity. Probably not going to happen. I'm not the only one that doesn't give a fuck if they do. The support in that city won't be anywhere near what it once was. You'll never see anything like this, again.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nXtSsT2PFNI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nXtSsT2PFNI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

ChiefsCountry
12-20-2010, 05:05 PM
You guys are forgetting a city - Louisville.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Kudos to Paul Allen (owner of the Blazers) being the only person besides Mark Cuban that voted against the move of the team in the first place. It was in his best interest for the Seattle market to be drawn toward Portland, but he understood the importance of the basketball team to the city. Unfortunately, he was one of the few...........

OnTheWarpath58
12-20-2010, 05:07 PM
I heard the Hornets are looking at a house in Overland Park.
Posted via Mobile Device

ROFL

Chocolate Hog
12-20-2010, 05:19 PM

KC isn't a third world city New Orleans is.

ChiefsCountry
12-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Kudos to Paul Allen (owner of the Blazers) being the only person besides Mark Cuban that voted against the move of the team in the first place. It was in his best interest for the Seattle market to be drawn toward Portland, but he understood the importance of the basketball team to the city. Unfortunately, he was one of the few...........

Cuban voted against it bc Oklahoma City was his big secondary market for the Mavericks.

KurtCobain
12-20-2010, 05:29 PM
I just saw Chris Paul at a local Best Buy and he winked at me!

Rams Fan
12-20-2010, 05:40 PM

Or that Allen owns the Seahawks and maybe didn't want to risk losing any of his fan base if he didn't vote against it?

SNR
12-20-2010, 05:42 PM
I don't follow one particular NBA team (though now that I've moved to Madison I might try to make the hour drive for a couple Milwaukee Bucks games) but I do watch pro basketball.

Durant and Westbrook are so fun to watch. I would've been ready to cheer for that team like crazy. But there's something about playing pro basketball in Oklahoma fucking City that makes that team seem false and contrived.

I don't see myself getting behind the Thunder. I really can't give a shit about them. I hope Durant goes Lebron on the city in a few years and takes his talents to some other random shithole team. Maybe the Kansas City Hornets

Reaper16
12-20-2010, 05:50 PM
My dream in life is for the Orlando Magic to move to Kansas City. I would be the happiest person.

SNR
12-20-2010, 05:51 PM
My dream in life is for the Orlando Magic to move to Kansas City. I would be the happiest person.That'd be great. I'd love to see a cage match between Todd Haley and Stan Van.

chiefsfan987
12-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Seattle won't have a new arena built unless one of the Microsoft gajillionaires decide to do it for publicity. Probably not going to happen. I'm not the only one that doesn't give a **** if they do. The support in that city won't be anywhere near what it once was. You'll never see anything like this, again.

I thought I heard one of the burbs were interested in getting a new one built if it could lure a team back to Seattle but I can't remember which one? Bellevue? Renton? something like that but not the city of Seattle itself.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-20-2010, 06:27 PM
I thought I heard one of the burbs were interested in getting a new one built if it could lure a team back to Seattle but I can't remember which one? Bellevue? Renton? something like that but not the city of Seattle itself.

Renton.

ChiefsCountry
12-20-2010, 06:32 PM
The Kings are the team to keep the eye on for Kansas City. Sac Town isn't giving them an arena and if AEG can give the Maloof boys a pretty good deal while hooking them up for something for the Palms, thats the team I would be keeping an eye on.

Hornets aren't moving here without an ownership group. The one city that has one in place is Louisville, KY.