PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Cassel showing a good mix of Trent Green and Rich Gannon

petegz28
12-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Had an intersting discussion around the water cooler today. Cassel is starting to look like a legit QB. He is starting to show a nice mix between our last 2 good QB's. He has the scrappiness of Gannon but is starting to command the pocket presence and passing game like Trent Green. His accuracy has really improved over the last several games and he is displaying the heart and leadership that makes the o-line want to play hard for him.

He isn't there yet but he has made leaps and bounds this year. Particularly since the Denver game. What impressed me the most about the Rams game was the way he extended the play several times either by rolling away from pressure or scrambling for yards. The pass he made to Bowe on the sidelines was perfect. We just need to see more of it. He has taken control of this team, he has stepped up into the leadership role. He has shown he will go out there and gut it out, no pun intended, through injury and adversity. As Haley would say his arrow is pointing up. I'd still like to see us draft a QB but IF Cassel continues to progress I think we can address other needs of the team first such as NT and O-line.

My hat is off to the guy thus far. I was one who was a critic of him early and I have to say the path he is going down is one to be admired. He played little in college and NE. He had a shit O-line last year and lost his OC 2 days before the season started. He has taken the criticism in stride, never lashed out at the fans, never pointed fingers at teammates ala Grbac and continued to fight and work to get better and make the team better. I think he needs a strong running game or at least the threat of one to maintain his progress and will never be a Brady or Montana. But I think he is starting to approach the Gannon level of scrappiness and making plays happen when he can.

I would love to see him lead this team to the playoffs. It would be the icing on the cake for him, the coaches and fans.

Deberg_1990
12-20-2010, 06:55 PM
He isn't there yet.

ROFL

You realize hes on pace to throw for more TD's in a season than Green ever did? (27) oh, with fewer INT's as well.

petegz28
12-20-2010, 06:56 PM
ROFL

You realize hes on pace to throw for more TD's in a season than Green ever did? (27) oh, with fewer INT's as well.

Yeah but Green did it season after season. At least while Vermeil was here. I am not selling him shirt, just think he has to continue to keep it up consistently to get to that level.

JASONSAUTO
12-20-2010, 06:58 PM
He probably has a tailor why would he buy a shirt from you?Yeah but Green did it season after season. At least while Vermeil was here. I am not selling him shirt, just think he has to continue to keep it up consistently to get to that level.
Posted via Mobile Device

Deberg_1990
12-20-2010, 06:59 PM
What i want to know from alot of you guys is....when will he officially "be there"?

Bane
12-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Matt Mother****ing Cassel bitches....GET USE TO IT!

pr_capone
12-20-2010, 07:00 PM
Cassel showing a good mix of Trent Green and Rich Gannon

With a sprinkle of Grbac, a dash of Deberg, and a splash of Montana too I bet.

LaChapelle
12-20-2010, 07:00 PM
The battle testing is yet to begin
But I like what I see/Sterling Sharpe

JASONSAUTO
12-20-2010, 07:05 PM
What i want to know from alot of you guys is....when will he officially "be there"?
For some he won't ever be there. Always something to bitch about. He won't complete every pass for a whole season, reason to bitch.
Posted via Mobile Device

petegz28
12-20-2010, 07:07 PM

Get us to the playoffs and he takes a huge step. Comes out next season improved and I would say he is there.

the Talking Can
12-20-2010, 07:13 PM
ROFL

they are being asked to do different things

Green ran a much more complex and aggressive passing offense, averaged almost 4000 yards per year in KC, and had a pass completion percentage over 60% every year but his first (with a high of 66%)....but he did throw a lot of ints as a result

Cassel is running a very simple pass offense off the back of the best running game in the league...we've run for almost as many yards as we have passed for - 2360 run v. 2576 pass

Cassel ranks 26th in pass yards per game at 206.7
24th in pass attempts per game at 29.5
23th in pass completion percentage at 59.3

the one thing he does exceptionally well is not throw ints...only 5, which is amazing...

petegz28
12-20-2010, 07:16 PM

Green ran a much more complex and aggressive passing offense, averaged almost 4000 yards per year in KC, and had a pass completion percentage over 60% every year but his first (with a high of 66%)....but he did throw a lot of ints as a result

Cassel is running a very simple pass offense off the back of the best running game in the league...we've run for almost as many yards as we have passed for - 2360 run v. 2576 pass

the one thing he does exceptionally well is not throw ints...only 5, which is amazing...

Probably most important is he isn't taking the sacks. He had 1 in the Rams game that was his fault for holding the ball too long and that will happen to every QB. But he does not make a habit out of it anymore. That is one thing Montana used to always talk about. If the play isn't there, throw the ball away and go onto the next down. Cassel has shown a huge improvment in that area this year.

Bane
12-20-2010, 07:17 PM
Fuck all the stats,and undermining! I'm digging me some Matt Cassel right about now.TO THE SHIP!!!!!

the Talking Can
12-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Probably most important is he isn't taking the sacks. He had 1 in the Rams game that was his fault for holding the ball too long and that will happen to every QB. But he does not make a habit out of it anymore. That is one thing Montana used to always talk about. If the play isn't there, throw the ball away and go onto the next down. Cassel has shown a huge improvment in that area this year.

and that too...he simply isn't making many negative plays, which maximizes the effects of his positive plays...

petegz28
12-20-2010, 07:21 PM
and that too...he simply isn't making many negative plays, which maximizes the effects of his positive plays...

I just wish he had a Maclin or Jackson to throw too along with Bowe. Chambers made a good catch or two on Sunday, but it was his first two catches of the season that meant anything. We need a blazer to stretch the field and open up the middle for Bowe and Moeaki. And that is just the thing, we have one of the weakest WR corps in the league yet Cassel is putting up sick TD #'s. Granted our running game is attributed to a lot of that as well.

chiefzilla1501
12-20-2010, 07:23 PM

It's also fair to note that Trent Green was also allowed to eat a sandwich in the pocket with the kind of time he was given. I don't know that Cassel could operate in a Trent Green/Dick Vermeil offense. But I'm also pretty certain Green couldn't operate in the Chiefs' offense of today. We saw toward the end of his career that when he doesn't have immaculate protection, he struggled a bit. Green also had zero power to change the playcalls.

That's been the part that's impressed me most about Cassel the past few weeks. His ability to slide around a broken pocket and also intelligently picking up blitzes in the pre-snap. Those are a few things Green was never really asked to do.

Deberg_1990
12-20-2010, 07:26 PM

I agree with all this. Imagine how good he can be if he had some more playmakers?

Whatever the case, im done harping on him, and i was a pretty harsh critic last year. Hes arrived IMO.

ReynardMuldrake
12-20-2010, 07:26 PM
It's also fair to note that Trent Green was also allowed to eat a sandwich in the pocket with the kind of time he was given. I don't know that Cassel could operate in a Trent Green/Dick Vermeil offense. But I'm also pretty certain Green couldn't operate in the Chiefs' offense of today. We saw toward the end of his career that when he doesn't have immaculate protection, he struggled a bit. Green also had zero power to change the playcalls.

That's been the part that's impressed me most about Cassel the past few weeks. His ability to slide around a broken pocket and also intelligently picking up blitzes in the pre-snap. Those are a few things Green was never really asked to do.
He's also been surprisingly hard to sack the past few games. I was impressed by that.

the Talking Can
12-20-2010, 07:27 PM
I just wish he had a Maclin or Jackson to throw too along with Bowe. Chambers made a good catch or two on Sunday, but it was his first two catches of the season that meant anything. We need a blazer to stretch the field and open up the middle for Bowe and Moeaki. And that is just the thing, we have one of the weakest WR corps in the league yet Cassel is putting up sick TD #'s. Granted our running game is attributed to a lot of that as well.

yeah, we need a burner....we needed a WR coming into the draft, drafted McCluster, and still need a WR [/editorial off]

the Talking Can
12-20-2010, 07:30 PM

but Green was simply more accurate, and needed the time in the pocket to let deeper routes unfold as demanded by Al's offense...to Cassel's advantage, he is bigger and more physical and can escape the pocket

my only point is they're different qbs in different systems...i really don't see any similarities between Green and Cassel

KcMizzou
12-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Haley (on the sieline a few weeks ago) : "He's becoming a quarterback."

KcMizzou
12-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Sprint 38!

jjchieffan
12-20-2010, 08:29 PM
I am confused. The article said our last two good qb's. That would be Green alright. The menfion of Gannon is a joke. He never accomplished anything until he was throwing to not one, but 2 HOF recievers. This pathetic Gannon love is sickening. Cassel is already way better than that pos.

jbwm89
12-20-2010, 08:33 PM
With a sprinkle of Grbac, a dash of Deberg, and a splash of Montana too I bet.

Don't forget a cup of Thigpen.

petegz28
12-20-2010, 08:41 PM
I am confused. The article said our last two good qb's. That would be Green alright. The menfion of Gannon is a joke. He never accomplished anything until he was throwing to not one, but 2 HOF recievers. This pathetic Gannon love is sickening. Cassel is already way better than that pos.

:rolleyes:

Chiefaholic
12-20-2010, 08:43 PM
There aren't many here that didn't criticize Cassel last year and early in the season...myself included. I was forgiving longer than the majority, but he lost me around week 5-6 this season. He's shown great signs of improvement, but STILL stares down his intended receiver, and under and overthrows (just not as often).

The largest part of the problem was dropped passes and lack of confidence in his receivers. This is still a concern that needs addressed this offseason through a reasonably high draft pick and/or a FA acquisition.

Chiefaholic
12-20-2010, 08:45 PM

Where were you when Marty benched a successful Gannon in favor of Brokeback Grbac in the playoffs? BIGGEST mistake of Marty's entire tenure in KC.

pr_capone
12-20-2010, 08:46 PM

http://img602.imageshack.us/img602/4816/jesusfacepalm.jpg