PDA

View Full Version : Life Your best Christmas or Holiday season story

Ralphy Boy
12-21-2010, 08:24 PM
Tis the season...

Most of us have a memory of a favorite Christmas experience or tradition; some feeling we hope to recapture every year. Let's hear em.

Mine was coming home on leave and surprising my family, whom I had told I couldn't make it. The whole family was at my parents house and my mom was cooking in the kitchen, with her back to me and as I rushed in past everyone with my finger over my lip (telling them to be quiet) I ran as quick and quiet as possible up behind my mom, threw my arms around her and said "Merry Christmas Mom." She balled for a good half hour.

RJ
12-21-2010, 08:31 PM
That's a nice story. Now, for your mom's sake, please correct "balled" to "bawled".

And Merry Christmas to you.

JD10367
12-21-2010, 08:32 PM
That's a nice story. Now, for your mom's sake, please correct "balled" to "bawled".

LMAO You beat me to it.

Lonewolf Ed
12-21-2010, 08:35 PM

Dear God, I hope you corrected him there... :eek:

Dartgod
12-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Tis the season...

Most of us have a memory of a favorite Christmas experience or tradition; some feeling we hope to recapture every year. Let's hear em.

Mine was coming home on leave and surprising my family, whom I had told I couldn't make it. The whole family was at my parents house and my mom was cooking in the kitchen, with her back to me and as I rushed in past everyone with my finger over my lip (telling them to be quiet) I ran as quick and quiet as possible up behind my mom, threw my arms around her and said "Merry Christmas Mom." She balled for a good half hour.
I suppose it was your dad's favorite Christmas memory as well?

Shogun
12-21-2010, 08:41 PM
She greeted you with a friendly game of 1 on 1....nice..

lazepoo
12-21-2010, 08:45 PM
My extended family used to make a short movie every year around the holidays, and for several in a row, one of my uncles would spontaneously have to vomit -usually signified by a stark change in skin tone and a quick move out of frame and towards the nearest bathroom. I think this happened at least three and possibly four years consecutively, and every time no one would notice until a later viewing. It's one of my favorite childhood memories.

JD10367
12-21-2010, 08:45 PM

LMAO This place rocks.

lazepoo
12-21-2010, 08:46 PM

Maybe they just played a quick game of horse? :D

WebGem
In 2004 (I was 19) I flew from Phoenix to Kansas City at like 12:55am or something. I had a long layover and got no sleep, but at least I got to go to the Raiders game alone instead of be at home for Christmas.

mlyonsd
When we still lived in town our 12 year old daughter used to ride her bike 5 miles one way several days a week to a local stable that raised show horses. She'd muck out stalls, haul hay or water, do whatever so she could get a 20 minute riding lesson from them.

All of their horses were always for sale and she became quite attached to a 5 year old Arabian that she showed for them. She became a very established rider all on her own determination.

After about 2 years someone at one of the competitions saw her ride this particular horse and approached the owner of the stable about buying it. Later the owner told our daughter the horse was probably going to be sold. This was around Thanksgiving weekend and our daughter came home devistated.

Coincidently we were in the planning phase of building a house in the country the next summer. I called the stable owner and he right away told me he wanted our daughter to have the horse and told me the other group hadn't committed and what the asking price was. I bought it on the spot for $3500 but told him not to tell my daughter because it was going to be a Christmas present.

Well of course our daughter had a horrible month thinking 'her' horse was going to be sold. The stable owner played along never telling her the real story.

Christmas morning we invited all of the family over and the stable owner hauled the horse over and tied it up to a tree in our front yard. All was on place before our daughter got up. When she did, and she came out to see all the people she was confused. My wife then flung open the living room curtains and there was her horse standing there.

I'll never forget her running out in her pj's and slippers in the snow and hugging her horse by the neck. We eventually forced her to come in and change into real clothes and a coat. Then she proceeded to ride the horse bareback up and down the street for about an hour.

KurtCobain
12-21-2010, 08:49 PM
My mom came in the bedroom christmas morning and said "Santa was here last night!" Then I called her a liar and stabbed her bitch ass to death.

RJ
12-21-2010, 08:52 PM
mlyonsd, that is an awesome story and you and Mrs. mlyonsd are awesome parents.

WebGem
12-21-2010, 08:56 PM
When we still lived in town our 12 year old daughter used to ride her bike 5 miles one way several days a week to a local stable that raised show horses. She'd muck out stalls, haul hay or water, do whatever so she could get a 20 minute riding lesson from them.

All of their horses were always for sale and she became quite attached to a 5 year old Arabian that she showed for them. She became a very established rider all on her own determination.

After about 2 years someone at one of the competitions saw her ride this particular horse and approached the owner of the stable about buying it. Later the owner told our daughter the horse was probably going to be sold. This was around Thanksgiving weekend and our daughter came home devistated.

Coincidently we were in the planning phase of building a house in the country the next summer. I called the stable owner and he right away told me he wanted our daughter to have the horse and told me the other group hadn't committed and what the asking price was. I bought it on the spot for $3500 but told him not to tell my daughter because it was going to be a Christmas present.

Well of course our daughter had a horrible month thinking 'her' horse was going to be sold. The stable owner played along never telling her the real story.

Christmas morning we invited all of the family over and the stable owner hauled the horse over and tied it up to a tree in our front yard. All was on place before our daughter got up. When she did, and she came out to see all the people she was confused. My wife then flung open the living room curtains and there was her horse standing there.

I'll never forget her running out in her pj's and slippers in the snow and hugging her horse by the neck. We eventually forced her to come in and change into real clothes and a coat. Then she proceeded to ride the horse bareback up and down the street for about an hour.

awesome

JD10367
12-21-2010, 08:57 PM
I was gonna buy a horse for Christmas one year, and some guy bought the fucking thing right out from under me.

Dunit35
12-21-2010, 09:00 PM
As a kid, our dog ran away 2 months before Xmas. We were devastated And searched the entire time. We never found him and my mother got us a new dog for Xmas. Well, that night, we heard scratching at the door. We opened the door and sure enough, he was there, half dead and full of fleas. That was one of my favorite Christmases. We brought him back and inside and within a few weeks he was back to normal.

Marcellus
12-21-2010, 09:02 PM
My GF works for high risk loan company. She has let's just say a diverse client base.

I gave her shit early when we met about being a predatory lender, well I had to had to stop because she would get pissed. They really aren't a bad group of people and they are just making a living as well.

Anyway tonight she was telling me that today they were giving a $150 Wal-Mart card to a deserving young couple who were a client. An annual Xmas thing. They are young mid -20's and have 4 kids ( I know). Not a lot of $ but make their payments on time and are always cheerful.
Anyway the husband was recently laid off form working concrete a company he had been at for 4 years. They tried calling them but both cell and home phone were turned off. Went to their trailer to give them the $ ( I know) and their car was broke down and it appeared they had no electricity.

So they gave them the measly $150 and went back to work and called the electric company and found it it was $300 to turn their power on so they went and paid their bill for them and told them not to tell who did it.

I thought that was a pretty nice thing to do and it happened today.

JD10367
12-21-2010, 09:06 PM
As a kid, our dog ran away 2 months before Xmas. We were devastated And searched the entire time. We never found him and my mother got us a new dog for Xmas. Well, that night, we heard scratching at the door. We opened the door and sure enough, he was there, half dead and full of fleas. That was one of my favorite Christmases. We brought him back and inside and within a few weeks he was back to normal.

What happened to the new dog your mother bought?

DeezNutz
12-21-2010, 09:09 PM

Obviously, he's one rude guy. Anything more than 2 minutes is selfish. /Hoot

Dunit35
12-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Nothing, it had a new best friend.

JD10367
12-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Obviously, he's one rude guy. Anything more than 2 minutes is selfish. /Hoot

Not necessarily. It's a direct proportion to how long the line behind you is. :shrug:

JD10367
12-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Nothing, it had a new best friend.

Well, that's good, 'cause if the story ended with, "...and so we took the new dog to the dog pound" then it wouldn't have been a happy Christmas story for everyone, would it? :)

Jeez... In thinking about this story... I hope my wife never gets lost! :doh!:

LaChapelle
12-21-2010, 09:15 PM
My little brother drowning kittens in the Christmas tree stand water
one in each hand

KurtCobain
12-21-2010, 09:16 PM
I wanted a guitar and a shotgun for christmas but my parents said I'd get famous and blow my head off. Dumbasses.

Talisman
12-21-2010, 09:43 PM
This one time my wife and I were going to fly over to Wales to spend Christmas with my parents. We were taking our nine month old daughter who they hadn't seen since a couple of weeks after she was born. We were supposed to leave on a Sunday, but London couldn't deal with four inches of snow and so our flight was canceled, then canceled again, and now we don't get to leave until friggin' Thursday.

KS Smitty
12-21-2010, 09:55 PM
We lost Dad in March of '05. We did Christmas at Mom's that year (as usual) and when I asked what was going on for New Year's everyone had plans that didn't include Mom. So after I got home I sent a secret email to the fam telling them not to tell Mom but we were planning on spending New Year's Eve with her and anyone that wanted to join us. So my sis called Mom and told her that she and her hubby wanted to come over for fondue before heading out to celebrate. We were over at my nephews waiting for Sis's call and when it came she said Hey the Iowa Z's (my bro) are here and Mom wondered if you guys could come down sometime while they were there. So I told her tell Mom we're on the way. So Mom's thinking we're over 2 hours away and here we come about 10 minutes later bustin in the house saying "hey we got a call that the Iowa Z's were in town". Mom was so surprised and happy to have the whole family together.

Count Alex's Losses
12-21-2010, 10:00 PM
One time I was visiting a good friend, and found $300 just lying around his house! Took it and blew it on booze. Good times.

CosmicPal
12-21-2010, 10:11 PM
I know this is probably a sappy story but a couple of years ago I bought my nephews, all three of them, these killer remote controlled speed boats. I think they were 10 and 11 at the time. (Two of them are twins.) They called their uncle (me) that day and each one of them thanked me a million times over. Just hearing their sheer joy over the gifts I sent them made my day.

Funny thing is, it made up for this remote controlled airplane I bought another nephew of mine for a Christmas several years earlier. My brother, brother-in-law, and I tested it out at my brother's house in Colorado that day. That plane rocked! Soaring across the clear blue sky with exceptional and surprising speed. Too bad the men were having too much fun with it while drinking cocktails that my brother had to slam the thing into a neighbor's roof splattering the plane into a million pieces. My poor nephew never got a chance to play with it. LOL.

I've always enjoyed the spirit of giving and witnessing the joy of when someone thinks what you got them sincerely rocked their world.

Gonzo
12-21-2010, 10:13 PM
You know what I got for Christmas this year? It was a banner fuckin' year for the old Gonzo family! I got a carton of cigarettes. The old man grabbed me and said "Hey! Smoke up Gonzo!" Okay, so go home and cry to your daddy, don't cry here, okay?
Posted via Mobile Device

JD10367
12-21-2010, 10:13 PM
I've always enjoyed the spirit of giving and witnessing the joy of when someone thinks what you got them sincerely rocked their world.

I'd like to give your avatar surprise buttsecks.

RJ
12-21-2010, 10:14 PM

That reminds me of the time grandpa wandered off.

JD10367
12-21-2010, 10:14 PM
One Christmas I gave some dude a ride to Best Buy to pick up a TV and got a reach-around as payment. That was cool.

CosmicPal
12-21-2010, 10:17 PM
One Christmas I gave some dude a ride to Best Buy to pick up a TV and got a reach-around as payment. That was cool.

For him, it wasn't such a best buy, eh? :D

Gonzo
12-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Wait, you were catching? Dude, raw deal man.

Ass, gas or grass. No one rides for free.
Posted via Mobile Device

gman1220
12-21-2010, 10:18 PM
lost my v under the tree if cha no wat i mean or i guess i could explane more if cha dont just pm me or wat ever works and we just go from there

gman1220
12-21-2010, 10:18 PM
thats a great sotory bout that do though

burt
12-21-2010, 10:24 PM
My son was about 3 and my wife went fairly overboard on Christmas presents. Well, I hadn't really gotten overly involved, but happened by a dollar store and saw several about, a foot long, plastic Dinosaurs. He was really into dinosaurs, so what the hell. I picked out 4, but that was all the different types. Then I saw a gila monster that was the same size. So I figured he wouldn't know the difference and got the Gila as well. My wife and I laughed at my cheap purchase.....

Christmas morning, he had several wrapped packages, the "Santa" presents and his stocking. Well, I placed the cheap dinosaurs and Gila, side by side, at the foot of the stairs.

Christmas morning he ran down the stairs, and amidst all his presents, exclaimed, "Dinotaurs.....and a zizard!" He immediately ran to them. I won't forget that til I die, and remember it every Christmas.......

CosmicPal
12-21-2010, 10:26 PM
My son was about 3 and my wife went fairly overboard on Christmas presents. Well, I hadn't really gotten overly involved, but happened by a dollar store and saw several about, a foot long, plastic Dinosaurs. He was really into dinosaurs, so what the hell. I picked out 4, but that was all the different types. Then I saw a gila monster that was the same size. So I figured he wouldn't know the difference and got the Gila as well. My wife and I laughed at my cheap purchase.....

Christmas morning, he had several wrapped packages, the "Santa" presents and his stocking. Well, I placed the cheap dinosaurs and Gila, side by side, at the foot of the stairs.

Christmas morning he ran down the stairs, and amidst all his presents, exclaimed, "Dinotaurs.....and a zizard!" He immediately ran to them. I won't forget that til I die, and remember it every Christmas.......

AWESOME!! :thumb:

OnTheWarpath58
12-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Ralphy was in a Folger's Coffee commercial, apparently.

Talisman
12-21-2010, 10:28 PM
I'd like to give your avatar surprise buttsecks.
I can imagine the hearty chuckles when someone resurrects this thread in a year and CosmicPal has changed his avatar to one of his favorite Chiefs players.

RJ
12-21-2010, 10:29 PM
I can imagine the hearty chuckles when someone resurrects this thread in a year and CosmicPal has changed his avatar to one of his favorite Chiefs players.

ROFL

CosmicPal
12-21-2010, 10:45 PM
LMAO

Won't happen...too many people like my current avi for me to consider changing it.

Rain Man
12-21-2010, 10:58 PM
The time my old man gave me a carton of cigarettes. "There ya go, Johnny!" he said. "Smoke 'em up!"

CosmicPal
12-21-2010, 11:00 PM
The time my old man gave me a carton of cigarettes. "There ya go, Johnny!" he said. "Smoke 'em up!"

You too, eh?

:D

DeezNutz
12-21-2010, 11:01 PM

It was pretty cool when you got to look up that one chick's skirt later in the day, though, eh? Sorry about putting you in that headlock.

Rain Man
12-21-2010, 11:01 PM
Aside from that, a few years back I gave my wife an upgrade to her wedding ring. I put the main ring on one cat's collar, and two anniversary bands on the other cat's collar, and just waited for my wife to notice. It took longer than I thought, and I had to keep an eye on her to be sure she didn't let the cats out. I have a picture of her opening her stockings with one of the cats sitting right next to her, and you can see the ring on his collar before she noticed it.

Rain Man
12-21-2010, 11:03 PM
It was pretty cool when you got to look up that one chick's skirt later in the day, though, eh? Sorry about putting you in that headlock.

It was worth getting all those extra weeks of detention.

big nasty kcnut
12-21-2010, 11:03 PM
I got my dad a navy jewelry box and my step mom a dvd vcr player. I know they will both like it.

Gonzo
12-21-2010, 11:16 PM
You know what I got for Christmas this year? It was a banner fuckin' year for the old Gonzo family! I got a carton of cigarettes. The old man grabbed me and said "Hey! Smoke up Gonzo!" Okay, so go home and cry to your daddy, don't cry here, okay?

Whoa...

Demented minds think alike I suppose.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man
12-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Whoa...

Demented minds think alike I suppose.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cigarettes must've been the Tickle Me Elmo's of that particular year.

Ralphy Boy
12-22-2010, 04:58 PM

:doh!: Thank you for the kind way that you pointed out my spelling error.

Yes, it was just like that. I started to drive home a week earlier, but my transmission went out a few hours from the base, so I headed back and told the family that I couldn't buy a plane ticket as I needed to use that money on fixing my car. My favorite aunt, called me and offered to buy me a plane ticket and at first I said no. Then I got homesick a couple of days before and called her asking if the offer still stood. She said "of course, but lets surprise everyone".

She picked me up at the airport and dropped me off down the street from my house so she could go in and get the video camera going. As soon as I got out of the car, another aunt & my cousins saw us and that aunt jumped out of the car screaming and ran over to me. Then they became in on the gig and went inside to help set it up.

My grandma had a pretty big yapper, so one aunt sat on the side of her because as soon as I walked in, her mouth hit the floor. At that point my aunt smacked her hand over her mouth, so I could surprise my mom.

Then a little while later, my sister arrived with her husband and we surprised her as well.

Pretty great day.

crossbow
12-22-2010, 06:35 PM
I had arranged for friends to enter our house and place the presents while my wife and I took the kids for a ride. We were on our way to see this guys yard that always has great lights. These lights are so good Disney couldn't top it. The older daughter was telling the younger son that Santa Clause was a myth invented for the holidays. His reaction was cautious because there was too much to risk if he offended the great gift giver. I have no idea who or what was up but right when we turned onto the great light guy's street:

A man dressed like Santa was crossing the road on foot. Carrying a white, clothe, bag over his shoulder, he turned and waved at the kids. The older daughter's jaw dropped and her eyes were as big as the moon. The young son slipped back into his seat and smugly looked at her. He didn't say a word but he was relieved to know that he would be rewarded on Christmas for keeping the faith.

When we returned home the presents were placed under the tree and everyone settled into a wonderful family holiday.

Fritz88
12-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Chilli teared my ass up.

JD10367
12-22-2010, 07:09 PM

If the Chiefs win a few playoff games 'cause of Cassel, and Cassel's his new avatar, I'd probably be waiting in line around here. :D

JD10367
12-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Chilli teared my ass up.

Dude, if you had Christmas buttsecks with Brad Childress, that's between you two.

Rain Man
12-22-2010, 08:28 PM
I had arranged for friends to enter our house and place the presents while my wife and I took the kids for a ride. We were on our way to see this guys yard that always has great lights. These lights are so good Disney couldn't top it. The older daughter was telling the younger son that Santa Clause was a myth invented for the holidays. His reaction was cautious because there was too much to risk if he offended the great gift giver. I have no idea who or what was up but right when we turned onto the great light guy's street:

A man dressed like Santa was crossing the road on foot. Carrying a white, clothe, bag over his shoulder, he turned and waved at the kids. The older daughter's jaw dropped and her eyes were as big as the moon. The young son slipped back into his seat and smugly looked at her. He didn't say a word but he was relieved to know that he would be rewarded on Christmas for keeping the faith.

When we returned home the presents were placed under the tree and everyone settled into a wonderful family holiday.

That's pretty funny.

mlyonsd
12-22-2010, 08:49 PM
I remember one more good one.

We'd been married about 5 years and money was very tight. Tight meaning a $30 gift was big stuff. Up until then we had an understanding that gifts to each other were not important, our daughter came first on Christmas.

My wife didn't have a watch so I started skipping $1 lunches so I could save for one. I ended up buying one for $29.95 plus tax. It was the largest jewelry type purchase for either of us since our wedding rings.

So to build it up I thought writing up clues to search for it would be witty, at least for me. I made up about 10 different clues to send her on a scavenger hunt. The last one was pretty clear, look in the glove box of my truck that was sitting on the street outside our house.

Unfortunately we had snow on the ground and the pile next to our sidewalk by the truck had melted on Christmas Eve day, that turned to a thin film of ice.

By the time my wife got to the last clue she was excited and ran out to the truck. She found the watch and started back into the house. You've already guessed what happened, she hit that ice and I can still remember watching from the house as her feet flew up and were still in the air when her head went bouncing off the concrete sidewalk.

To my credit I was more worried about her than the 'expensive' watch I had just purchased. True love by definition. Thank goodness I had picked out a Timex...they really do take a licking and keep on ticking.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-22-2010, 08:54 PM
when i SHOT MY EYE OUT!

Rain Man
12-22-2010, 09:13 PM
I remember one more good one.

We'd been married about 5 years and money was very tight. Tight meaning a $30 gift was big stuff. Up until then we had an understanding that gifts to each other were not important, our daughter came first on Christmas.

My wife didn't have a watch so I started skipping $1 lunches so I could save for one. I ended up buying one for $29.95 plus tax. It was the largest jewelry type purchase for either of us since our wedding rings.

So to build it up I thought writing up clues to search for it would be witty, at least for me. I made up about 10 different clues to send her on a scavenger hunt. The last one was pretty clear, look in the glove box of my truck that was sitting on the street outside our house.

Unfortunately we had snow on the ground and the pile next to our sidewalk by the truck had melted on Christmas Eve day, that turned to a thin film of ice.

By the time my wife got to the last clue she was excited and ran out to the truck. She found the watch and started back into the house. You've already guessed what happened, she hit that ice and I can still remember watching from the house as her feet flew up and were still in the air when her head went bouncing off the concrete sidewalk.

To my credit I was more worried about her than the 'expensive' watch I had just purchased. True love by definition. Thank goodness I had picked out a Timex...they really do take a licking and keep on ticking.

In the spirit of the Gift of the Magi, you gave her a great gift and she in turn gave you a great gift: an unconscious woman.

mlyonsd
12-22-2010, 09:50 PM
In the spirit of the Gift of the Magi, you gave her a great gift and she in turn gave you a great gift: an unconscious woman.
So what you're saying is it might be time to reinstitute the scavenger hunt gift. Hmm.

RJ
12-22-2010, 10:55 PM

Nice.

Lurker rep.

RockChalk
12-22-2010, 11:24 PM

Always worth posting when prompted :D

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I4kNl7cQdcU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I4kNl7cQdcU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ralphy Boy
12-23-2010, 02:56 AM
Always worth posting when prompted :D

Perfect!