PDA

View Full Version : Life Got some snow in Colorado

Rain Man
12-21-2010, 11:17 PM
It's pleasant in Denver, with no snow right now, but the mountains are getting, shall we say, a healthy dose. The high spots in the current storm are:

Gothic - 82"
Silverton - 68"
Crested Butte - 53"
Coal Bank Pass - 48"
Red Mtn Pass - 44.5"

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=171145&catid=339

Colorado weather forecast: Heavy snow in the mountains, no snow in Denver
Marty Coniglio 3 mins ago
Toolbox: Read Comments Print Email Article Smaller Larger

WEATHER RADAR | WEATHER ALERTS
DENVER - Snow won't be seen in Denver for at least one more day as the dry weather continues in the metro area, and the Colorado weather forecast shows snow is decreasing in the northern mountains, creating much better travel conditions along Interstate 70.

All WINTER STORM WARNINGS east of Vail Pass have been cancelled.

9NEWS Meteorologist Marty Coniglio says that travel conditions will be pretty good along I-70 from the Denver area to Winter Park and Summit County Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. By mid-morning Wednesday, roads should be in good shape all the way to Vail. There will be a few snow bursts along I-70 and over Berthoud Pass during the afternoon Wednesday.

The heaviest snowfall will be in the Steamboat Springs area and from Aspen to the south and west.

WINTER STORM WARNINGS continue for Vail Pass, the Grand Mesa, Elk and West Elk Mountains and San Juans through 5 p.m. Thursday. New snowfall of 1 to 3 feet is forecast for areas above 9,000 feet. Storm totals of up to 8 feet will be possible from Crested Butte to the south and west.

WINTER STORM WARNINGS continue for Steamboat Springs, Craig and surrounding areas until 9 a.m. Wednesday. Storm total snowfall of 8 to 16 inches is forecast at these lower elevation locations.

At elevations below 7,000 feet the moisture has come in the form of rain so it has been very soggy over the Western Slope.

By Tuesday evening, some of the more dramatic snow reports have come from the Elk and San Juan Mountains. Here are some of the storm totals so far:

Gothic - 82"
Silverton - 68"
Crested Butte - 53"
Coal Bank Pass - 48"
Red Mtn Pass - 44.5"

In the Denver area some rain is possible Thursday afternoon and evening. Marty says that folks living above 6,500 might see some wet snowfall. Fingers crossed....

KurtCobain
12-21-2010, 11:24 PM
How's South Park holding up?

CosmicPal
12-21-2010, 11:27 PM
Snow in Colorado? Well, ain't that a bitch?

:D

Buehler445
12-21-2010, 11:31 PM
Send some east. Please?

WebGem
12-21-2010, 11:33 PM
If it works against the Chargers in week 17, I'm all for it.

bishop_74
12-21-2010, 11:40 PM
I have been up for the past 4 days since my little brother is in town. It has been epic.

pr_capone
12-22-2010, 12:29 AM
Gothic, Colorado?

/goes off to GIS the town

TIED5573
12-22-2010, 06:39 AM

Screw you guys, I'm going home...:p

bevischief
12-22-2010, 07:28 AM

Hope it doesn't stop Mr Hankey...

NY CHIEF
12-22-2010, 08:49 AM
Over 75 inches so far in syracuse ny:thumb:

Rain Man
12-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Gothic, Colorado?

/goes off to GIS the town

I've jogged through Gothic, and it's a pretty cool place. It's above Crested Butte at a pretty high elevation, and used to be a ghost town. Then some scientific group took it over, some kind of alpine biology research group if I remember right. (Ah, here it is: http://rmbl.org/rockymountainbiolab/). So it's basically just that group up there, along with a couple of ranches and a small general store that may or may not be run by the science group itself. I was there in the summer, and it's gorgeous up there.

tmax63
12-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Gothic is just a few miles from Crested Butt and the continental divide and not too far from where I hunt every fall. They get some serious snow there on ocasion.

Donger
12-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Considering how little snow we've had in Denver so far this year, I shudder to think what is going to happen in March and April.

trndobrd
12-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Just drove back from Colorado ahead of the weather last night after a 10 day vacation. Last week I almost got stuck in Dillon after they shut down the Eisenhower tunnel, had to drive through a snow packed Loveland Pass to get back to Georgetown.

Rain Man
12-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Just drove back from Colorado ahead of the weather last night after a 10 day vacation. Last week I almost got stuck in Dillon after they shut down the Eisenhower tunnel, had to drive through a snow packed Loveland Pass to get back to Georgetown.

They had a wreck last night or the night before involving a tractor-trailer carrying hazardous cargo. Apparently it shut the highway down for quite a while and traffic was backed up for hours.