PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Covitz: Haley is among candidates for NFL coach of the year

Tribal Warfare
12-22-2010, 05:34 AM
Haley is among candidates for NFL coach of the year (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/12/21/2536136/haley-is-among-candidates-for.html)
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

If the Chiefs hang on and win the AFC West, Todd Haley will be a leading candidate for NFL coach of the year.

The Chiefs, 9-5, are already assured of their first winning season since 2006 and have more than doubled the number of victories from last year. By winning their last two games, the Chiefs would win their first division title and host their first playoff game since 2003.

The Chiefs have had only two coach-of-the-year winners in their history — Hank Stram was AFL coach of the year when the Chiefs went 12-2 in 1968; Marty Schottenheimer the NFL coach of the year when the Chiefs finished 13-3 in 1997.

Certainly there may be some Haley detractors. While it’s possible the Chiefs could post a 11-5 record this season — a complete reversal of last year’s 4-12 — there have been some rough patches, notably letting a 31-21 fourth-quarter lead slip away at Houston; and getting blown out on the road by Denver and San Diego.

Also, some might cite the Chiefs’ soft schedule as a reason for someone other than Haley to win the award. The Chiefs’ nine victories have come against teams with a collective record of 49-69.

Here are some other candidates to consider:

•New England coach Bill Belichick: The Patriots, 12-2, own the best record in the AFC, and it seems like it’s been Tom Brady vs. the rest of the world. The Patriots have been hit with injuries to their offensive line, and at running back where players like Danny Woodhead and BenJarvus Green-Ellis have had to carry the load. Plus, Belichick had the good sense to get rid of Randy Moss and bring back wide receiver Deion Branch. True, the defense is not a vintage New England defense, but it is young and will get better.

•Philadelphia coach Andy Reid: Reid had the foresight to trade Donovan McNabb before it was too late, and now we saw why he sent him to a division rival. Reid, whose Eagles, 10-4, lead the NFC East, also was smart enough to realize he had to change horses and go with Michael Vick as his quarterback instead of Kevin Kolb, his original choice.

•Atlanta coach Mike Smith: The road to the Super Bowl in the NFC will likely go through Atlanta, 12-2, and about the only attention Smith has received has come in the form of an NFL commercial: he’s the white-haired guy on the team bus nodding his head to the music en route to participating in a youth football program. The Falcons have won eight straight, and their only two losses were in overtime at Pittsburgh and at Philadelphia.

•Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin: Just to get out of the gate 3-1 without quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was an achievement for Tomlin, whose Steelers, 10-4, have the tie-breaker against Baltimore.

•Chicago coach Lovie Smith: Similar to what Haley did in Kansas City with coordinators, Smith brought in former Rams coach Mike Martz to fix quarterback Jay Cutler; and former Detroit Lions coach Rod Marinelli to restore toughness to the Bears’ defense. Smith can earn this honor in the final two games against the Jets and Packers.

chiefzilla1501
12-22-2010, 08:10 AM
At the halfway point, I would argue that he was definitely in the conversation.

In the second half, they had a cooshy schedule and I still think they've been finding more and more ways to lose games than they do win. This has been a pretty sloppy football team of late.

So while I like Haley, I'm just not convinced he's deserving of the highest of accolades. It's hard not to give it to Mike Smith, a team that has always been pretty good but is now pretty exceptional.

Tuckdaddy
12-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Haley should get it hands down. They won 4 games last year. Belifugg? He has Brady. No way he should get coach of the year.

Tuckdaddy
12-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Oh and Andy wasn't even going to start Vick this year. He lucked into that shit with Kevin getting hurt. It's not his coaching at all.

JD10367
12-22-2010, 09:52 AM
Haley should get it hands down. They won 4 games last year. Belifugg? He has Brady. No way he should get coach of the year.

Yeah, he has Brady. And no stud running back. And one little WR coming off a knee injury and another little WR he picked up from Seattle after doing nothing there. And two rookies at tight end. And without his best OG (Logan Mankins) for most of the season. And without a top DL (Ty Warren) and projected #1 corner (Leigh Bodden) who went down in training camp. And a bunch of rookies playing key positions, including cornerback. And with one of the toughest schedules in the NFL (of the 14 games they've played so far, 8 might be playoff-bound).

But, yeah, he's got Brady, so obviously there's no way Belichick should get COTY. :rolleyes:

Any of those guys in the original post are worthy of the award, IMO.

Cave Johnson
12-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Oh and Andy wasn't even going to start Vick this year. He lucked into that shit with Kevin getting hurt. It's not his coaching at all.

Reid may be the worst in-game coach in the NFL. They win despite his asinine decisionmaking.

Sofa King
12-22-2010, 09:57 AM
If Haley doesnt get it i hope Mike Smith gets it.

Just Passin' By
12-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Raheem Morris should get some consideration too.

Detoxing
12-22-2010, 11:06 AM

When I opened this thread I fully expected to see his name on the list.

Amnorix
12-22-2010, 11:12 AM

Even with four rookies starting on defense and one of the hardest schedules in the NFL and a 12-2 record?

The problem with Belichick being painted a "genius" is that he pretty much has to go 16-0 to have any chance at Coach of the Year.

I do agree that Haley is a worthy candidate, but let's see if you finish out and get to the playoffs first.

chiefzilla1501
12-22-2010, 11:16 AM

Hard to imagine there are any teams with a worse "strength of victory" than the Chiefs, but the Bucs definitely take the cake and have a worse record. I would definitely put Haley over Morris, but again, don't think either should get it.

Amnorix
12-22-2010, 11:17 AM
If Haley doesnt get it i hope Mike Smith gets it.

He got it in 2008, and his win total is a bit padded by playing the NFC West this year, which is easily the worst division in football. That said, I like Smith, and Matty (BC) Ice, and the Falcons, so I don't really object too much.

I guess I"m a bit sketchy on the Falcons coach getting it in 2008, then having an ok year in 2009 (9-7), and then getting it again in 2010 for lots of wins against a softer schedule.

Rain Man
12-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Even with four rookies starting on defense and one of the hardest schedules in the NFL and a 12-2 record?

The problem with Belichick being painted a "genius" is that he pretty much has to go 16-0 to have any chance at Coach of the Year.

I do agree that Haley is a worthy candidate, but let's see if you finish out and get to the playoffs first.

Belichick should be a strong candidate because he's doing it this year without Matt Cassel.

jjchieffan
12-22-2010, 11:22 AM

Reid may be the worst in-game coach in the NFL. They win despite his asinine decisionmaking.

Don't tell that to Fatlock.

Cave Johnson
12-22-2010, 11:30 AM

Bucs have been sliding of late.

It's probably a two horse race between Haley and BB, with the slight edge to Haley. We're on pace to win more games than 2007-2009 combined.

Sofa King
12-22-2010, 11:33 AM
He got it in 2008, and his win total is a bit padded by playing the NFC West this year, which is easily the worst division in football. That said, I like Smith, and Matty (BC) Ice, and the Falcons, so I don't really object too much.

I guess I"m a bit sketchy on the Falcons coach getting it in 2008, then having an ok year in 2009 (9-7), and then getting it again in 2010 for lots of wins against a softer schedule.

oh well then fuck him.

bring it home haley!

Amnorix
12-22-2010, 11:38 AM
I gotta say, hopefully not being too homerific here, that it's between BB and Haley.

If Chiefs make playoffs, then Haley, if not, then BB assuming Pats get the #1 seed.

alnorth
12-22-2010, 11:38 AM
When do they vote? He's done a fine job, but with that schedule and getting blown out a couple times, I think Haley is 3 wins away from deserving this.

gblowfish
12-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Hoodie will win because of East Coast Media Bias. Coach Haley has done a very good job this year, but blowing the Oakland game, and getting killed by a weak Denver squad, and pasted at San Diego, takes off some of the shine. He hasn't been the best, but has been much better than we expected this year.

LaChapelle
12-23-2010, 05:55 PM
According to Bob Gretz
The Chiefs had outdoors practice yesterday and Haley was wearing shorts
I hope he can pull his head out by Sunday

SNR
12-23-2010, 07:39 PM

I guess I"m a bit sketchy on the Falcons coach getting it in 2008, then having an ok year in 2009 (9-7), and then getting it again in 2010 for lots of wins against a softer schedule.They've beaten some TOUGH teams this year. Just like the Patriots. They've also done it without a wonderboy at QB (Ryan's good but not Manning/Brady level yet)

I think Mike Smith will probably win this.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-23-2010, 09:03 PM
I love Haley but unless we go to and win a SB, his chances of winning this are right up there with Mo' Kessel as MVP.

-King-
12-23-2010, 09:06 PM
I love Haley but unless we go to and win a SB, his chances of winning this are right up there with Mo' Kessel as MVP.

You do realize the awards are given after the regular season right?

Guru
12-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Smith should win it hands down. I bet they give it to belecheat though.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-23-2010, 09:09 PM
You do realize the awards are given after the regular season right?

Why no, no I did not. Holy Shite; something useful from King. Well, better go outside and see if the frogs are raining from the sky!

-King-
12-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Why no, no I did not. Holy Shite; something useful from King. Well, better go outside and see if the frogs are raining from the sky!

Yeah and if Dan saleaumua is still playing O-line. Or if Cassel can throw the 40 yard out... :rolleyes:

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-24-2010, 05:52 AM
Yeah and if Dan saleaumua is still playing O-line. Or if Cassel can throw the 40 yard out... :rolleyes:

ROFLROFLOh!...ROFL:LOL:..Cassel..ROFL...throwing...ROFLROFL...the ballROFL...40...ROFLROFLROFL...yards!

Wait!
ROFL He has to....ROFL...wait for it...ROFL...hit someone in stride too?

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

-King-
12-24-2010, 06:54 AM
:spock: this guy is nuts. He really thinks that there's such a thing as a 40 yard route
Posted via Mobile Device

Von Dumbass
12-24-2010, 07:54 AM
The Chiefs had one of the easiest schedules in NFL history and aren't even the second best team in the division. No way does Haley deserve COY.

POND_OF_RED
12-24-2010, 08:55 AM
The Chiefs had one of the easiest schedules in NFL history and aren't even the second best team in the division. No way does Haley deserve COY.

Correct. Right now we're the best team in the division. Is McDaniels still in the running, or do you have to be employed to win the award?

Von Dumbass
12-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Correct. Right now we're the best team in the division. Is McDaniels still in the running, or do you have to be employed to win the award?

Everybody that posts here knows that the Chargers are the best team in the division no matter what their record is and I think most know that the Raiders are better too.

|Zach|
12-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Everybody that posts here knows that the Chargers are the best team in the division no matter what their record is and I think most know that the Raiders are better too.

Weird, if the Chargers were that much better you would think they would have swept us.

Von Dumbass
12-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Weird, if the Chargers were that much better you would think they would have swept us.

You beat the Chargers in your home opener, in horrible weather, and the Chargers were without VJ and McNeil. And they still almost beat you on the final drive.

SNR
12-24-2010, 10:01 AM
You beat the Chargers in your home opener, in horrible weather, and the Chargers were without VJ and McNeil. And they still almost beat you on the final drive.Everybody says the AFCW teams play pretty much the same schedules.

There's a reason why we're on top and the Raiders and Chargers aren't. We've won more games. How we've done it doesn't matter. The fact is we won games that the Chargers/Raiders lost. That makes us the better team.

If the Chargers were really that good they would have beaten the Rams and taken care of business and controlled 1st place in this division instead of hoping and praying that we go on a final 2-game swoon like the Broncos do every year.

Pablo
12-24-2010, 10:04 AM
Everybody that posts here knows that the Chargers are the best team in the division no matter what their record is and I think most know that the Raiders are better too.Do you watch all of the Chargers games?

Raiders games?

We know you don't watch all of your own squad's games.

|Zach|
12-24-2010, 10:10 AM
You beat the Chargers in your home opener, in horrible weather, and the Chargers were without VJ and McNeil. And they still almost beat you on the final drive.

I know you don't watch a lot of games so I will help you out. This is the NFL.

The God Hypothesis
12-24-2010, 12:43 PM

Brilliant Post!!

In my opinion this award has to go to Haley because of his ability to turn the 4 -12 team around the 1st year "his" staff has been together and have the ability to hand the OC duties over to CDubb and really transform from a OC to a complete head coach.

Just think back to the poor clock management during the Herm years, players out of position, lack of key players development, and I think you will find how well Haley has done this year comparatively. DJ and Hali being shining examples of what a Coach of the Year candidate can accomplish in a short amount of time. I also believe he takes risks, makes some mistakes, and learns from them.

Arguments can be made for BB, Morris, and Tomlin, but in the end I believe the award will go to Haley as long as the Chiefs take care of business the next 10 days.

Halfcan
12-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Haley just needs to learn WHEN to kick a field goal.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-24-2010, 02:19 PM
:spock: this guy is nuts. He really thinks that there's such a thing as a 40 yard route
Posted via Mobile Device

It's not a ROUTE, numb-nuts, it's the ability to throw the distance and hit the target.

Hell, I'll even knock it down to 30 yards; doubtful I would even see THAT successfully executed.

But until True Franchise, Drafted and Developed comes up behind Mo' in a few years......

(1234; dink or dunk, dink or dunk, dink or dunk, dink or dunk)

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a42/ed2oh9/Funny/Kia1.jpg

"WE CAN ROLL WITH DINK!
OR WE CAN ROLL WITH DUNK.
WE CAN GET WITH DINK!
OR WE CAN GET WITH DUNK".
Etc...etc...etc.

:thumb::D

Short Leash Hootie
12-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Do you watch all of the Chargers games?

Raiders games?

We know you don't watch all of your own squad's games.

True.

How does he know who the best team is when he doesn't even watch any games...

Twitter?

JASONSAUTO
12-24-2010, 02:44 PM
How about all those bubble screens we call. What 20 to 30 a game right?It's not a ROUTE, numb-nuts, it's the ability to throw the distance and hit the target.

Hell, I'll even knock it down to 30 yards; doubtful I would even see THAT successfully executed.

But until True Franchise, Drafted and Developed comes up behind Mo' in a few years......

(1234; dink or dunk, dink or dunk, dink or dunk, dink or dunk)

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a42/ed2oh9/Funny/Kia1.jpg

"WE CAN ROLL WITH DINK!
OR WE CAN ROLL WITH DUNK.
WE CAN GET WITH DINK!
OR WE CAN GET WITH DUNK".
Etc...etc...etc.

:thumb::D
Posted via Mobile Device

The God Hypothesis
12-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Montanas widely considered the best QB to play the game and he made a career in Bill Walsh's offense dinking and dunking. You can forge one hell of a career with the low risk offensive philosophy.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-24-2010, 10:25 PM
How about all those bubble screens we call. What 20 to 30 a game right?
Posted via Mobile Device

Not so much lately, but the timing always seems ass-backward.

milkman
12-24-2010, 10:43 PM
I said this elswwhere, but I think what happens is that Bellichick wins CoTY, while Scott Pioli wins Executive of the year.

FRCDFED
12-25-2010, 12:20 AM
Everybody that posts here knows that the Chargers are the best team in the division no matter what their record is and I think most know that the Raiders are better too.You are what your records says you are!

Quit posting dumb shit that cannot be supported in any way, shape, or form! It's annoying!

KurtCobain
12-25-2010, 12:26 AM
I said this elswwhere, but I think what happens is that Bellichick wins CoTY, while Scott Pioli wins Executive of the year.

And we'll be plastured furthermore as the Kansas City Patriots.