PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Blackout a possibility Sunday! (not anymore)

Pages : [1] 2

Coogs
12-22-2010, 09:22 AM
Chiefs Have Work To Do To Avoid Blackout Vs. Titans
by Joel Thorman on Dec 22, 2010 9:39 AM CST in 2010 Kansas City Chiefs Season

What do the New England Patriots, Atlanta Falcons and Kansas City Chiefs have in common? They are the only three teams in the NFL to be undefeated at home through 15 weeks of the 2010 NFL season. One of those teams, though, has some work to do in order to have Sunday's game televised.

Chiefs COO Mark Donovan appeared on 810 WHB Wednesday morning and noted that the league requires the Chiefs to give them an update on ticket sales each week and, based on where the Chiefs are sitting right now, they are on the list of games that could be blacked out this weekend.

bevischief
12-22-2010, 09:22 AM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/12/22/1891397/chiefs-have-work-to-do-to-avoid-blackout-vs-titans#storyjump

What do the New England Patriots, Atlanta Falcons and Kansas City Chiefs have in common? They are the only three teams in the NFL to be undefeated at home through 15 weeks of the 2010 NFL season. One of those teams, though, has some work to do in order to have Sunday's game televised.

Chiefs COO Mark Donovan appeared on 810 WHB Wednesday morning and noted that the league requires the Chiefs to give them an update on ticket sales each week and, based on where the Chiefs are sitting right now, they are on the list of games that could be blacked out this weekend.

Star-divide

Chiefs officials are optimistic enough tickets sell but, still, they're not there yet and the league has deemed it a question mark at this point.

First, let's get the obvious out of the way. If you wanna buy tickets here are your options: Chiefs website or Ticketmaster (or TiqIQ).

Second, we know a packed house is a significant football advantage for the Chiefs. We saw it against San Diego (three delay of games, one false start) and we saw it at Arrowhead East in St. Louis (five false starts). The Chiefs defense clearly responds to the crowd allowing a league-low 12.2 points at home. If we're measuring home field advantages, then the Chiefs may be the best considering they have a higher margin of victory at home than both the Patriots and Falcons.

Third, we all know what this game means. A Chiefs loss and a Chargers and Raiders victory means KC is in big trouble.

The Chiefs have indicated the last few years that these December games are difficult to sell out because of the economy combined with the cold weather. The difference this year is that the Chiefs are actually good.

So will they be able to do it?

-King-
12-22-2010, 09:23 AM
WTF REALLY?

Mr_Tomahawk
12-22-2010, 09:23 AM
Wow...

El Jefe
12-22-2010, 09:24 AM
WTF REALLY?

My sentiments.

DaFace
Huh. That's disappointing. On the other hand, the day after Christmas isn't exactly a great time for people to make it out to a game. Hope they'll get a few extra tix sold.

Deberg_1990
Unbelievable that the Chiefs are having attendence problems this season. WTF?? Economy?

the Talking Can
12-22-2010, 09:26 AM
economy + christmas = broke

Rams Fan
12-22-2010, 09:27 AM
I wonder if the Chiefs could get a sponsor to buy the remaining tickets. That's what's happened in STL in order for the games not to be blacked out.

-King-
12-22-2010, 09:29 AM
I wonder if the Chiefs could get a sponsor to buy the remaining tickets. That's what's happened in STL in order for the games not to be blacked out.

We won't need to do that. Enough tickets will be sold.

But still...its disappointing that they haven't already been sold.

allen_kcCard
12-22-2010, 09:31 AM
I would be totally shocked with how this season stands if we had a blackout in one of these last two game.

Priest31kc
12-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Economy

KC kid
12-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Economy aint THAT bad. . . come on people. Last year, the economy was worse and people's excuse was the losing record.......

Sure-Oz
12-22-2010, 09:36 AM
There wont be a blackout

RedThat
12-22-2010, 09:41 AM
How does it work with blackouts? Does anyone know?

Worst case scenario, lets say this game does blackout. Would it blacked out on localized T.V only? If you have Satelitte or NFL Sunday ticket, would it blacked out on there as well?

*In simpler words, if the game were to be blacked out, would it be blacked out period where nobody can have access to it anywhere. Thats what Im wondering.

JTagg7754
12-22-2010, 09:44 AM
LOL you guys are in the thick of a playoff race and can't avoid blackouts?? Shit, you all remind me of Oakland hahaha.

-King-
12-22-2010, 09:45 AM

Worst case scenario, lets say this game does blackout. Would it blacked out on localized T.V only? If you have Satelitte or NFL Sunday ticket, would it blacked out on there as well?

*In simpler words, if the game were to be blacked out, would it be blacked out period where nobody can have access to it anywhere. Thats what Im wondering.

Best case scenario is that the game will be blued out.

eazyb81
12-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Wow, this came out of nowhere.

I'm doing my part - I'll be there piss drunk in my new Eric Berry authentic.

Coogs
12-22-2010, 09:46 AM

The KC and Topeka market for sure would not be able to show the game. But Wichita, Omaha, Lincoln, and probably a few others would.

Not sure on the Sunday Ticket, but I think it would follow the local market issues.

RippedmyFlesh
12-22-2010, 09:48 AM

If you live outside kc it is on sunday ticket if locally blacked out.. If you are in the kc area and it is blacked out you don't get it on sunday ticket. I live in the bills area so I was glad they played at kc because I would have missed that game.

Detoxing

No. Only those within 75 Miles of KC will be blacked out. Us out of towners will be able to see it on DirecTV

ClevelandBronco
economy + christmas = broke

Exactly. The NFL blackout rule is a slap in the face to those loyal but struggling fans who have enough trouble paying the premium cable bill so they can at least watch the game in HD on their new 51" plasma monitors.

WebGem
12-22-2010, 09:49 AM
The KC and Topeka market for sure would not be able to show the game. But Wichita, Omaha, Lincoln, and probably a few others would.

Not sure on the Sunday Ticket, but I think it would follow the local market issues.

This.

NFL Sunday Ticket holders wouldn't be able to see it only in the areas where it's blacked out on the local station. If you live in NY, FL, AZ, CA, etc and you have NFLST you can see the game.

I'll be there FWIW.

RINGLEADER
12-22-2010, 09:50 AM
We won't need to do that. Enough tickets will be sold.

But still...its disappointing that they haven't already been sold.

As others have noted, it's the economy stupid...

RedThat
12-22-2010, 09:51 AM
Thank you so much for your input guys. I appreciate it.

Yeah I was just wondering because I live outside the KC area and was hoping to catch the game on Sunday ticket. I paid for it, and I would be upset if they didn't show it.

Blindside58
12-22-2010, 09:51 AM
CBS / Local Corporations will buy out the tickets because everyone in KC will be watching a meaningful game on TV.

Detoxing
12-22-2010, 09:52 AM
R

Deberg_1990
12-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Exactly. The NFL blackout rule is a slap in the face to those loyal but struggling fans who have enough trouble paying the premium cable bill so they can at least watch the game in HD on their new 51" plasma monitors.

heh, i started a thread a few months ago basically saying that the NFL's blackout rule might be a little outdated.

Basically the NFL is competing with itself (the Home TV viewers). Its made its product extremely attractive for viewing at home. I think this is part of the problem.

ClevelandBronco
R

That's unclear. Time stamps on both OPs read 9:22 a.m.

Buck
OMG SHITTY FANS ~!!!!!!!!!111!

Buck
12-22-2010, 09:55 AM
OMG SHITTY FAN BASE FUCKING PUSSY FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!

ClevelandBronco
12-22-2010, 09:58 AM
heh, i started a thread a few months ago basically saying that the NFL's blackout rule might be a little outdated.

Basically the NFL is competing with itself (the Home TV viewers). Its made its product extremely attractive for viewing at home. I think this is part of the problem.

I agree. For my money, I'd rather watch football on TV. I still much prefer the stadium for hockey (given a decent seat) and baseball (no matter the seat).

RippedmyFlesh
12-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Thank you so much for your input guys. I appreciate it.

Yeah I was just wondering because I live outside the KC area and was hoping to catch the game on Sunday ticket. I paid for it, and I would be upset if they didn't show it.
The only time you have to worry about it is if the chiefs play your local team and your local team's blacked out. Then you have to root for a team you don't like to sell out which I suppose can feel dirty if you live in oakland or denver.
Sunday ticket is a god send.
Chief's 16 games--------------------------> All other content available year round on my tv.

luv
12-22-2010, 10:03 AM
OMG SHITTY FAN BASE FUCKING PUSSY FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!

Says the guy who's MNF experience at Arrowhead this year was probably the worst weather game he's ever been to.

El Jefe
12-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Economy aint THAT bad. . . come on people. Last year, the economy was worse and people's excuse was the losing record.......

Ummmm yeeeeaaaaaahhhhh.

El Jefe
12-22-2010, 10:04 AM
Says the guy who's MNF experience at Arrowhead this year was probably the worst weather game he's ever been to.

So true LMAO

Buck
12-22-2010, 10:05 AM

Says the fan of the team who had over 50% of its fans standing in the concourse while this guy was sitting in his god damned seat the entire time.

Fucking pathetic.

Dayze
12-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Says the fan of the team who had over 50% of its fans standing in the concourse while this guy was sitting in his god damned seat the entire time.

Fucking pathetic.

^ the kid has a point.

Earthling
12-22-2010, 10:06 AM

Especially to the ones that had to buy a new pickup to tote it home in...

Rams Fan
12-22-2010, 10:07 AM
How many times have the Chargers been blacked out this year, Buck?

Buck
12-22-2010, 10:07 AM
How many times have the Chargers been blacked out this year, Buck?

Um....1 or 2 not sure. I went to all the games so it didn't affect me.

Rams Fan
12-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Um....1 or 2 not sure. I went to all the games so it didn't affect me.

Is attendance about the same in San Diego as it was last year?

BigChiefTablet
12-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Maybe they shouldn't charge $250 bucks for them yellow seats. I don't know who they think makes that kind of money. Fucking billionaires blacking out the very fans that buy all their merchandise and keep them rolling in it while most of us barely scrape by and are lucky if we can afford to go to one or two games a year sitting in the nosebleed section.

Buck
12-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Is attendance about the same in San Diego as it was last year?

It's down about 5%

Buck
12-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Maybe they shouldn't charge $250 bucks for them yellow seats. I don't know who they think makes that kind of money. Fucking billionaires blacking out the very fans that buy all their merchandise and keep them rolling in it while most of us barely scrape by and are lucky if we can afford to go to one or two games a year sitting in the nosebleed section.

Club seats do not affect the NFL's blackout rules.

Demonpenz
I would be out there if arrowhead had a dome.

Rams Fan
It's down about 5%

So the Chargers are right in line with league attendance, no? Is Qualcomm as bad as the NFL is making it sound?

Rams Fan
12-22-2010, 10:11 AM
I would be out there if arrowhead had a dome.

I love going to games in the winter where it's always room temperature.

El Jefe
12-22-2010, 10:12 AM
You have to post this in both threads? Geesh drama queen.

luv

Fucking pathetic.

I sat in my seat the entire time as well. Surely, you remember the cold, wet ride back to St Joe after the game?

Demonpenz
I love going to games in the winter where it's always room temperature.

Yes

ElGringo
Would love to go...anyone wanna buy me a plane ticket?

Buck
So the Chargers are right in line with league attendance, no? Is Qualcomm as bad as the NFL is making it sound?

Not sure. The Stadium is really old, so from the outside it just looks like a huge concrete building, but once you are inside in your seats, its just like any other NFL Stadium.

Buck
12-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Well I saw this one first, then I realized there was a bigger thread on the same subject.

Rams Fan
12-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Not sure. The Stadium is really old, so from the outside it just looks like a huge concrete building, but once you are inside in your seats, its just like any other NFL Stadium.

What do you think the main problem is with it(besides its age)?

OnTheWarpath58
Sad that a 9-5 team, playing a game they have to win to keep a playoff spot, is potentially going to get blacked out.

:shake:

Hydrae
The important question is, will Grandllama be affected if there is a blackout???

beer bacon
I thought in the past CBS, ownership, or somebody else has bought up the unsold tickets to avoid blackouts? Why the squeeze now? Where's the Christmas spirit?

Buck
12-22-2010, 10:15 AM
What do you think the main problem is with it(besides its age)?

With the stadium? Nothing, its old and fucking falling apart.

Buck
12-22-2010, 10:16 AM
FYI, there is a rule in place that any NFL Team Owner can buy the remaining seats for 30 cents on the dollar. The Jets are the only team who has done this to my knowledge though.

Rams Fan
With the stadium? Nothing, its old and ****ing falling apart.

Has Spanos tried doing renovations to it recently?

OnTheWarpath58
The important question is, will Grandllama be affected if there is a blackout???

Depends on where he's getting his feed from.

He lives in Indy. If he's streaming his own Sunday Ticket, you're fine.

If he's streaming a slingbox feed he's getting from someone in KC watching a local feed, you're screwed.

luv
12-22-2010, 10:17 AM
I don't know about KC, but it's been fairly nice in Springfield this week. We've reached the 50's a few times. However, we're supposed to get a wintery mix late Thursday into Friday, and then high temperatures below freezing both Saturday and Sunday. Then, back up into the 40's next week. It just figures that the cold spell has to hit this weekend. I just hope there's no precipitation. Standing in the rain in early September was bad enough.

Buck
12-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Has Spanos tried doing renovations to it recently?

WTF!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualcomm_Stadium

El Jefe
12-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Sad that a 9-5 team, playing a game they have to win to keep a playoff spot, is potentially going to get blacked out.

:shake:

It's freaking the day after Christmas cuh, what do you expect?

ClevelandBronco
12-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Especially to the ones that had to buy a new pickup to tote it home in...

...The home with 450 square feet of dedicated mancave space with every conceivable item of team memorabilia balanced precariously on or affixed to any available surface.

Hydrae
12-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Depends on where he's getting his feed from.

He lives in Indy. If he's streaming his own Sunday Ticket, you're fine.

If he's streaming a slingbox feed he's getting from someone in KC watching a local feed, you're screwed.

I hope everything still works, I am getting used to piggybacking on his feed. First time in many years I have been able to watch nearly every game. And no, I have cable to Sunday Ticket is not an option for me.

OnTheWarpath58
12-22-2010, 10:23 AM

I expect the supposed "Best Fans in the NFL" to show the fuck up?

It'd be a little different if this team wasn't 9-5 and playing for something.

From what I can tell, even people that have tickets don't want to go. Yesterday I looked on Ebay, and there were over 1000 listings for the last two games.

I regularly search Ebay for tickets hoping to find a deal and come up, and I can't recall the last time there were this many listings for games that matter.

Demonpenz
12-22-2010, 10:23 AM
It doesn't help the Pioli chooses boring players draft and FA. Our one dude we drafted that is supposed to bring the house down is sucking tit this year.

Coogs
12-22-2010, 10:25 AM
I thought in the past CBS, ownership, or somebody else has bought up the unsold tickets to avoid blackouts? Why the squeeze now? Where's the Christmas spirit?

I really think there is going to be a showdown pretty soon on this one. The past few years when we were bad, I think Clark knew tickets were not going to be sold, so he bought them out to get his product out to as many people as possible.

Now that the product is good, I suspect Clark may start to play hard ball. If he keeps paying for the tickets when the product is good, why should the stadium ever sell out again.

Sort of like pushing all the chips in in Texas Hold-um Poker. Is he bluffing? Or is he holding a "full house"?

Bob Dole
12-22-2010, 10:29 AM
A high of 23 on Sunday? Brrrrrrr.

Still undecided whether to drive up Sunday morning and try to grab a cheap ticket in the lot.

Demonpenz
12-22-2010, 10:32 AM
I really think there is going to be a showdown pretty soon on this one. The past few years when we were bad, I think Clark knew tickets were not going to be sold, so he bought them out to get his product out to as many people as possible.

Now that the product is good, I suspect Clark may start to play hard ball. If he keeps paying for the tickets when the product is good, why should the stadium ever sell out again.

Sort of like pushing all the chips in in Texas Hold-um Poker. Is he bluffing? Or is he holding a "full house"?

I have heard these grumblings lately as well. Clark always says how he hopes people will come out and see this young and exciting team, he might take his ball home if this continues.

KChiefs1
12-22-2010, 10:32 AM
So the game is going to be blacked out?

Dayze
12-22-2010, 10:33 AM
i know someone with season tickets who is selling the last two. I asked 'why'; and he said the Tennessee game wont' work because of Christmas etc. I 'sort ' of understand that one. but his reasoning for the Raider game was "it'll be too cold".

jfc.

Coogs
12-22-2010, 10:34 AM
So the game is going to be blacked out?

Probably will go into Thursday... possibly even Friday with an extention.

KChiefs1
12-22-2010, 10:35 AM
KC fans haven't bought in yet to Pioli & Haley.

Deberg_1990
12-22-2010, 10:35 AM
I expect the supposed "Best Fans in the NFL" to show the **** up?

It'd be a little different if this team wasn't 9-5 and playing for something.

From what I can tell, even people that have tickets don't want to go. Yesterday I looked on Ebay, and there were over 1000 listings for the last two games.

I regularly search Ebay for tickets hoping to find a deal and come up, and I can't recall the last time there were this many listings for games that matter.

See, people would rather stay home and watch on on their 50" HDTV's in front a fireplace, than be at the game. The NFL is fighting with itself.

OnTheWarpath58
12-22-2010, 10:37 AM
i know someone with season tickets who is selling the last two. I asked 'why'; and he said the Tennessee game wont' work because of Christmas etc. I 'sort ' of understand that one. but his reasoning for the Raider game was "it'll be too cold".

jfc.

Last I checked, Christmas was on Saturday, not Sunday.

The holiday excuse is just that - an excuse. The schedule's been out since April. Work around it.

OnTheWarpath58
12-22-2010, 10:38 AM
See, people would rather stay home and watch on on their 50" HDTV's in front a fireplace, than be at the game. The NFL is fighting with itself.

Sure, casual fans.

Maybe this fanbase is made up of too many casual fans, and not die-hards like Blowfish, Stevie and Monty.

Demonpenz
12-22-2010, 10:38 AM
I can see the headline now "Kc fans pick christmas time to act jewish"

Nzoner
12-22-2010, 10:40 AM

So,I went on Christmas Day a few years ago for the Raider game,I don't get your point.

Nzoner
12-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Sure, casual fans.

Maybe this fanbase is made up of too many casual fans, and not die-hards like Blowfish, Stevie and Monty.

Dude I was at the Bronco game this season,casual fans are right,many of the diehards have moved on(and yes that includes me).I did my best to rally my section like back in the day but a lot of people looked at me like :rolleyes:

It was very sad.

El Jefe
12-22-2010, 10:43 AM
So,I went on Christmas Day a few years ago for the Raider game,I don't get your point.

I love the Chiefs, even if I lived near Arrowhead and had free tickets there's no way in Hell I would go on Christmas. Quality time with my family trumps any Sporting Event.

Demonpenz
12-22-2010, 10:45 AM
I think it is a statement as fans at the Lack of FA signings in the offseason

Nzoner
12-22-2010, 10:46 AM
I love the Chiefs, even if I lived near Arrowhead and had free tickets there's no way in Hell I would go on Christmas. Quality time with my family trumps any Sporting Event.

Props to you but not all of us are Ward Cleavers

InChiefsHell
12-22-2010, 10:50 AM
I went to a Christmas Eve game against the Seahags back in the 90's...it was PACKED...but that was the 90's...

...don't have the cash for the tickets, gas and parking...I'm trying to make a possible playoff trip work though...

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
12-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Unfortunately, the commute to Arrrowhead is a tad long for me this weekend.

However, next year is definitely starting to look good for seeing some Chiefs games.

Bearcat
12-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Sure, casual fans.

I had free tickets that fell through, and thought about buying 1 or 2, but when it's ~$100-120 for a ticket and parking.... I've spent enough on holiday shopping; I can watch the Chiefs game and other NFL games at BWW and spend $30 on beer & food, or just watch the game at home.

I can afford it, and I don't mind the cold, but they're pricing out a lot of the diehard fans and replacing them with empty corporate seats in the club level and casual fans who can afford to go.

Demonpenz
12-22-2010, 10:52 AM
our most popular threads are how to deal with crappy neighbors, kill neighbors dogs, how to put up with sister laws how to hide txt messages from GF but xmas is family time!

OnTheWarpath58
12-22-2010, 10:53 AM

First Thanksgiving after getting married was the Thankgiving Night game against Denver. The wife and I host around 25-30 of her family members, so I was planning on selling them since we're 4 hours away.

It was my wife and her family that said, "You have to go. This is something you can't miss."

I went, and my wife told me the next day that the house was more amped than any Super Bowl or other party we've ever had. We're talking about a bunch of people that could care less about the Chiefs, most could care less about the NFL in general, yet they were all watching the game, hooting and hollering, rooting for the Chiefs because they all knew what that game meant to me.

OnTheWarpath58
12-22-2010, 10:54 AM
our most popular threads are how to deal with crappy neighbors, kill neighbors dogs, how to put up with sister laws how to hide txt messages from GF but xmas is family time!

ROFL

Deberg_1990
12-22-2010, 10:56 AM

Im a family guy myself, but come on......schedules can be re-arranged, or bring some family members with you, like kids, etc.....Plus, its only 3 or 4 hours out of your life. I think its pretty cool to have games on or near a holiday.

OnTheWarpath58
12-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Im a family guy myself, but come on......schedules can be re-arranged, or bring some family members with you, like kids, etc.....Plus, its only 3 or 4 hours out of your life. I think its pretty cool to have games on or near a holiday.

This.

Hell, the schedule comes out in April.

I wish I lived in KC. The only thing that keeps me from attending more games is the travel - though I am contemplating getting season tickets again.

DenverDanChiefsFan
12-22-2010, 10:59 AM

Sort of like pushing all the chips in in Texas Hold-um Poker. Is he bluffing? Or is he holding a "full house"?What is going to come to a showdown is the blackout rule. With so many stadiums using public funds, politicians are starting to look at this. Public is financing the stadium they should have the ability to watch it on tv.

Not that I think politicians should get involved in sports, but I can see both sides of the argument. Eat from the public trough, play by the politicians rules.

sedated
12-22-2010, 11:04 AM
there's no reason to avoid this game because of a holiday. would anyone legitimately rather sit around with family they don't give 2 shits about than go to a game? with the extended time off (for most people), they will probably be looking for something to do come Sunday anyway.

Bowser
12-22-2010, 11:05 AM
I'll be out of town, or else I'd be contributing to the cause.

JD10367
12-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Don't lower yourselves by using the economy, blackout rules, or the day after Christmas as excuses. The bottom line is, if this were happening in Oakland, San Diego, or Denver, you all would be ripping their fans a new asshole. Just sack up and admit, "Yeah, this is kind of embarrassing, and really blows." Hopefully this news item encourages the true fans (as opposed to the TrueFans) to make it a sellout ASAP now...

Rams Fan
12-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Holiday games are fun. I went to a Rams game on Christmas Eve in '06(Rams won in OT) and am going to the game this Sunday, the day after Christmas. Should be fun.

LaChapelle
12-22-2010, 11:07 AM
This fanbase dosen't want to see some cold Tits
This is not going to play well in the west

OnTheWarpath58
12-22-2010, 11:07 AM
I'll be out of town, or else I'd be contributing to the cause.

Unrelated, no word from DT regarding WCW, I suppose?

OnTheWarpath58
12-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Don't lower yourselves by using the economy, blackout rules, or the day after Christmas as excuses. The bottom line is, if this were happening in Oakland, San Diego, or Denver, you all would be ripping their fans a new asshole. Just sack up and admit, "Yeah, this is kind of embarrassing, and really blows." Hopefully this news item encourages the true fans (as opposed to the TrueFans) to make it a sellout ASAP now...

This.

DenverDanChiefsFan
12-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Don't lower yourselves by using the economy, blackout rules, or the day after Christmas as excuses. The bottom line is, if this were happening in Oakland, San Diego, or Denver, you all would be ripping their fans a new asshole. Just sack up and admit, "Yeah, this is kind of embarrassing, and really blows." Hopefully this news item encourages the true fans (as opposed to the TrueFans) to make it a sellout ASAP now...Well, for me, it is the economy. First time in 8 years I won't make it back to KC for a game. The wife was laid off in June so we are watching every penny until she finds another job.

Bowser
12-22-2010, 11:09 AM

I'm of the opinion that there won't be a blackout, or even close. They may not have sold as many tickets to this game at the beginning of the year due to it being Christmas weekend, the fact that we were coming off a 4 win season, and how nobody expected us to be playing meaningful games late in December. People will show for this game.

El Jefe
12-22-2010, 11:10 AM

99.999999999999997999999% of your posts make me :doh!: Your tardness exceeds most everyone on this forum.

KCUnited
12-22-2010, 11:10 AM
I can't make it, my Pinot Grigio freezes when the temp drops belo....err, it's Christmas and the family, you know.

DaFace
12-22-2010, 11:11 AM
I really think that the advent of HDTV is part of what's killing some teams these days, no matter what the sports. It's so much cheaper, and in many ways more comfortable, to watch a game at home.

Buck
12-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Last year my Mom and I didnt go to our family Christmas Gathering in Palm Springs because Time Warner (which is what my family in Palm Springs has) didn't have the NFL Network, and the Chargers were playing in Christmas Night.

DaFace
12-22-2010, 11:12 AM
This.

Well, the good news for KC is that it IS happening in all of those places. Denver isn't getting close to the blackout point yet, but their no show rate is skyrocketing at an alarming rate this year. If they don't get things turned around next year, it wouldn't surprised to see their giant season ticket waiting list disappear.

Times are a-changing, and the NFL has to be getting nervous.

Bowser
12-22-2010, 11:13 AM
I really think that the advent of HDTV is part of what's killing some teams these days, no matter what the sports. It's so much cheaper, and in many ways more comfortable, to watch a game at home.

That, and the cost. It really is getting damned expensive to go to games these days when you factor in everything - tailgate costs, parking costs, tickets, food and/or drinks inside.....

Rams Fan
Well, the good news for KC is that it IS happening. Denver isn't getting close to the blackout point yet, but their no show rate is skyrocketing at an alarming rate this year. If they don't get things turned around next year, it wouldn't surprised to see their giant season ticket waiting list disappear.

Wasn't their game against the Rams the lowest attendance total in the history of Invesco? Has it gotten worse than that since November?

JD10367
Reposts a possibility Wednesday! :D

Rams Fan
12-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Reposts a possibility Wednesday! :D

Both the OPs say 10:22 AM. No reposts.

OnTheWarpath58
12-22-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm of the opinion that there won't be a blackout, or even close. They may not have sold as many tickets to this game at the beginning of the year due to it being Christmas weekend, the fact that we were coming off a 4 win season, and how nobody expected us to be playing meaningful games late in December. People will show for this game.

I just checked Ticketmaster.

You can still get 10 seats, all together in the upper deck as low as row 7.

There are going to be a lot of empty seats Sunday, blackout or not.

Old Dog
12-22-2010, 11:16 AM
its only 3 or 4 hours out of your life
For the game itself yes. If you add in a 2 1/2 hour drive each way to the stadium and another 3 1/2 hours for tailgating, you're talking about basically the whole day.
I have tickets, but haven't decided if I'm going or not. It amazes me how so many of the people who complain about this normally watch the game from home.

If you're bitching about seeing empty seats on your TV broadcast you're a part of the problem.

Bearcat

I've never really cared about fans in other cities, especially if they're paying as much or more for bad football, even though I'm sure there's a double standard with some people.

If anyone, the NFL should be embarrassed... it's their product.

OnTheWarpath58
Well, the good news for KC is that it IS happening in all of those places. Denver isn't getting close to the blackout point yet, but their no show rate is skyrocketing at an alarming rate this year. If they don't get things turned around next year, it wouldn't surprised to see their giant season ticket waiting list disappear.

Times are a-changing, and the NFL has to be getting nervous.

It wouldn't be happening in Denver if they were 9-5 and playing a must-win game.

JD10367
12-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Both the OPs say 10:22 AM. No reposts.

Oooh, simultaneous posting... nice. When you can achieve it, it's like a bonus. :evil:

Bowser
12-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Unrelated, no word from DT regarding WCW, I suppose?

Check your PM's

Rams Fan
12-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Oooh, simultaneous posting... nice. When you can achieve it, it's like a bonus. :evil:

Damn right. Both OPs deserve some rep for that. AMIRITE?

DaFace
12-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Wasn't their game against the Rams the lowest attendance total in the history of Invesco? Has it gotten worse than that since November?

Yep. Their last three games have been on the road, so they haven't had another chance since then.

Los Pollos Hermanos
12-22-2010, 11:19 AM

I can't imagine going back to a 51" TV. I don't know how people do it. :D

DaFace
12-22-2010, 11:20 AM
It wouldn't be happening in Denver if they were 9-5 and playing a must-win game.

This year? Of course not. But if they had a 2-4 season next year and a 4-12 season the year after? I wouldn't bet against it.

The Avs had a sellout streak spanning about 15 years (when they were always contenders) until they had a couple slumping seasons. This year, they're a pretty solid playoff (most likely) team, and they sold out a game for the first time this season on Sunday. They're in the bottom five in attendance in the NHL.

Don't think that this is just a Kansas City thing.

notorious
12-22-2010, 11:20 AM

PPV is going to happen within the next 5 years because of this.

Bearcat
12-22-2010, 11:21 AM
If you're bitching about seeing empty seats on your TV broadcast you're a part of the problem.

Not exactly... I know people who would go every week if they could afford it. I'll probably be at home this weekend thinking "damn, it sucks to see all those empty seats... too bad I'd have to pay $100+ just to get into the game."

Bowser
12-22-2010, 11:21 AM

I can definitely see that happening.

Bearcat
12-22-2010, 11:22 AM

Dear NFL,

Well, bye.

JD10367
12-22-2010, 11:23 AM
I do agree that the NFL needs to figure something out. The league and the owners already make an atrocious amount of money off the TV revenue, you'd think there's no need for the blackout rule. On the other hand, the empty seats are embarrassing. On the other hand, if they lowered prices, they wouldn't have that problem. On the other hand, if they lower prices they might end up with a drunk troublesome crowd at their stadiums.

I've been to two Patriots games this year and, frankly, that was probably two more than I could afford. The CHEAPEST tickets in the upper ring are almost $70; the lower ring tickets are almost $170. It's insane. So, the high ticket prices beget the wine-and-cheese crowd who don't know when to cheer, and yell at you if you stand up, so the true fans are inclined to stay home in their warm houses with their HDTVs. I get it, for sure. I just don't know what the answer is.

ClevelandBronco
12-22-2010, 11:24 AM
I can't imagine going back to a 51" TV. I don't know how people do it. :D

When we were in college, we'd have a dozen guys totally drunk and stoned all gathered around a 13" TV, screaming that we saw something that the obviously crooked or blind referees missed.

OnTheWarpath58
12-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Check your PM's

Thanks. Getting antsy.

:D

notorious
12-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Dear NFL,

Well, bye.

The NFL owners are some greedy fucks. Do the math for a Monday night game $29.99 x 7-11 million.

That is stupid money, and on top of it all, they will probably still sale advertising!

Los Pollos Hermanos

I had a teacher who told me 25 years ago that eventually people would have to pay to watch the NFL on TV. I told him he was crazy. He also had some crazy notion that one day people would no longer carry cash and would have cards with magnetic strips that kept track of the money you had. Total loon. :D

JD10367
And I have no issue with PPV as an option. We already pay for out-of-area games with things like NFL Sunday Ticket and the Red Zone channel, and now on Thursdays with the NFL Network's games (if you're not in the city of the two opponents). If they want to come up with a PPV option for teams that don't sell out, that's fine with me. Sounds like a fair compromise: if your city can't sell out the stadium, then you have to pay a few bucks to enjoy it in the comfort of your home.

OnTheWarpath58
12-22-2010, 11:26 AM
This year? Of course not.

That's my point in all of this.

A 9-5 team that is in win-or-else mode to host a playoff game for the first time in forever shouldn't be in danger of a blackout.

Dayze
12-22-2010, 11:27 AM
yeah, if they ever do PPV, put me down for a Curly Bill.

I'll find something else to do / hobby, or another sport to watch.

I can totally see some sort of PPV coming in the next few years.

OnTheWarpath58
12-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Not exactly... I know people who would go every week if they could afford it. I'll probably be at home this weekend thinking "damn, it sucks to see all those empty seats... too bad I'd have to pay $100+ just to get into the game."

With all the tickets I'm seeing available on Ebay, StubHub, Craigslist, Etc, there's no doubt in my mind you couldn't get in the door for much, much cheaper than that on game day.

There are around 700 listings on Ebay alone.

The most I saw for the Monday Night game was 225.

Rams Fan
12-22-2010, 11:28 AM
And I have no issue with PPV as an option. We already pay for out-of-area games with things like NFL Sunday Ticket and the Red Zone channel, and now on Thursdays with the NFL Network's games (if you're not in the city of the two opponents). If they want to come up with a PPV option for teams that don't sell out, that's fine with me. Sounds like a fair compromise: if your city can't sell out the stadium, then you have to pay a few bucks to enjoy it in the comfort of your home.

I think that would be a fair idea.

bevischief
12-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Dude I was at the Bronco game this season,casual fans are right,many of the diehards have moved on(and yes that includes me).I did my best to rally my section like back in the day but a lot of people looked at me like :rolleyes:

It was very sad.

Yes it was, and the that 1 Bronco fan talking sh$t...

DaFace
12-22-2010, 11:29 AM
That's my point in all of this.

A 9-5 team that is in win-or-else mode to host a playoff game for the first time in forever shouldn't be in danger of a blackout.

And my point is that, when a team sucks for a long time, people get used to not going to games. Couple that with all of the other factors (high prices, bad economy, good HDTV), and it's not all that surprising. All I'm saying is that, if other teams in similarly-sized markets went through the same slump we did, they'd probably be having trouble, too.

Rudy lost the toss
12-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Is there a more insecure fan than Buck?

DenverDanChiefsFan
12-22-2010, 11:35 AM
PPV is going to happen within the next 5 years because of this.Living out of town I would much rather do that. Sunday Ticket was nice when I had it because I could see the Chiefs, but I don't care about the other teams. I wish they would offer team specific packages or let us buy individual games.

I don't think they will ever go strictly PPV - the networks shell out too much money for the rights to broadcast the games. It would be a nice alternative to Sunday Ticket though.

Hydrae
12-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Well I saw this one first, then I realized there was a bigger thread on the same subject.

And you are attracted to bigger things, I get it. NTTIAWWT

Dayze
12-22-2010, 11:39 AM
i really miss sunday ticket; don't miss the price of it, but miss what it gave me etc.

Other than the Chiefs games, I've probably watch maybe 3 other games I was interested that just so happened to be on TV/nationally etc.

week in and week out, it's either a lame matchup for the other games, or a desperate attempt to keep pushing a story line/media darlings.

Valiant
12-22-2010, 11:43 AM

Are you serious? If it is not that bad go buy a dozen tickets to hand out. There are quite a few people that have to choose between pay bills get xmas gifts vs. Chiefs tickets.

OnTheWarpath58
12-22-2010, 11:44 AM
For those wanting to go cheaply, check the ticket forum.

2 seats for $50.

eazyb81
12-22-2010, 11:49 AM
I can't believe some of you have the audacity to blame the NFL or the owners for a Chiefs game - a monumentally huge game in terms of winning the division - getting blacked out.

The prices are the same as they have been all season, and basically the same as they have been in recent years. It's not like the NFL or the Hunts tripled the price of tickets for this game just to fuck Kansas City.

People complain about the price of a ticket, but don't bat an eye to pay $100+ for a cell phone bill, $150+ for premium cable tv, $200 for a nice dinner, etc. It's all about priorities.

No excuses for KC - a town we all claim is a true football town - to not pack this place for such a huge home game in late December.

Valiant
12-22-2010, 11:50 AM

they get ripped on because they are rival fans.

OnTheWarpath58
12-22-2010, 11:51 AM
I can't believe some of you have the audacity to blame the NFL or the owners for a Chiefs game - a monumentally huge game in terms of winning the division - getting blacked out.

The prices are the same as they have been all season, and basically the same as they have been in recent years. It's not like the NFL or the Hunts tripled the price of tickets for this game just to fuck Kansas City.

People complain about the price of a ticket, but don't bat an eye to pay $100+ for a cell phone bill, $150+ for premium cable tv, $200 for a nice dinner, etc. It's all about priorities.

No excuses for KC - a town we all claim is a true football town - to not pack this place for such a huge home game in late December.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/V3plvX2eRqf977jlJUOeGghwo1_400.gif

DaFace
12-22-2010, 11:53 AM

Damn. I don't think I've ever spent anywhere near any of those three dollar values. I must be cheap.

Los Pollos Hermanos
12-22-2010, 11:54 AM
If I paid $200 for a dinner, I might be sick.

OnTheWarpath58
12-22-2010, 12:00 PM
His dollar amounts may vary based on a lot of factors, but the point remains the same.

Bowser
12-22-2010, 12:01 PM
If I paid $200 for a dinner, I might be sick.

Well fuck, I hope not. If I ever go to Plaza III and get food poisoning, I am DEFINITELY asking for my money back.

Reaper16
12-22-2010, 12:02 PM
The fans are protesting the Zack Greinke trade. Zack reportedly used his no-trade clause to veto a deal that would send the Cy Young winner to the Chiefs in exchange for OF Terrance Copper, RHP Brodie Croyle and C Shawn Smith. Smith was the anchor of the deal; he can really catch balls.

OnTheWarpath58
Well fuck, I hope not. If I ever go to Plaza III and get food poisoning, I am DEFINITELY asking for my money back.

LMAO

ClevelandBronco
How does one go about finding a $200 supper in Kansas City? Are there sexual favors involved?

Bowser
12-22-2010, 12:03 PM
How does one go about finding a $200 supper in Kansas City? Are there sexual favors involved?

Lots and lots of BBQ. Then sex.

Reerun_KC
Man that sucks....

Thankfully I live out of market and have Sunday ticket....

Reaper16
Seriously, this is embarrassing. The Chiefs can no longer tout their fanbase as "the best" or even among the better in the NFL if they can't get 85% capacity for a division-leading team on the home stretch.

Los Pollos Hermanos
12-22-2010, 12:04 PM
I try to go to one game a year. This year I went to Denver instead of going to Arrowhead. But I'll be honest, I think I prefer watching the games on TV.

KCUnited
This game is bigger than the Monday Night game, people should be flying in for this.

ClevelandBronco
Lots and lots of BBQ. Then sex.

Happy ends.

OnTheWarpath58
12-22-2010, 12:05 PM

The wife and I eat at some really nice places, but the only way we end up with a check nearing that amount is if we order a lot of drinks or a bottle of wine.

Norman Einstein
12-22-2010, 12:05 PM
The game will be on Channel 6 in Tulsa.

ClevelandBronco
12-22-2010, 12:06 PM

What game?

Bearcat
12-22-2010, 12:06 PM

The prices are the same as they have been all season, and basically the same as they have been in recent years. It's not like the NFL or the Hunts tripled the price of tickets for this game just to **** Kansas City.

Yeah, they're the same price as it's been all year... so far for me, that's $110 for the Chargers game, $110 for the Cardinals game, $100 for the Broncos game, and $100 for the Raiders game.

You're exactly right, it is all about priorities. I'd rather pay $80 to get basically unlimited use of voice/text/data on my phone for an entire month than pay the same for a ticket (not including parking) for a 3 hour event. A phone I could use to watch the game for free, btw.

I'd rather spend money being generous to my family and closest friends this holiday season than indulge in 3 hours of football.

I'd rather spend money on the new tires I just bought that will last 60,000 more miles, which will help when I drive to Omaha to watch the best athletes in college hockey for $18, which includes free parking.

Yeah, too bad if those who help finance the stadium have to pay more every year to watch a league that seems to get more mediocre every year.... screw the fans who have the audacity to choose how they spend their disposable income!

:facepalm:

DaFace
12-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Yeah, they're the same price as it's been all year... so far for me, that's $110 for the Chargers game, $110 for the Cardinals game, $100 for the Broncos game, and $100 for the Raiders game.

You're exactly right, it is all about priorities. I'd rather pay $80 to get basically unlimited use of voice/text/data on my phone for an entire month than pay the same for a ticket (not including parking) for a 3 hour event. A phone I could use to watch the game for free, btw.

I'd rather spend money being generous to my family and closest friends this holiday season than indulge in 3 hours of football.

I'd rather spend money on the new tires I just bought that will last 60,000 more miles, which will help when I drive to Omaha to watch the best athletes in college hockey for $18, which includes free parking.

Yeah, too bad if those who help finance the stadium have to pay more every year to watch a league that seems to get more mediocre every year.... screw the fans who have the audacity to choose how they spend their disposable income!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/V3plvX2eRqf977jlJUOeGghwo1_400.gif

;)

BigChiefTablet
12-22-2010, 12:09 PM
I have the audacity to blame the NFL and owners...and the general philosophy of the super rich in our nation. Not for this game specifically or anything.

Our economy is shit because the super rich keep taking more and more and the average joe gets the same money they got 20 years ago but everything cost a ton more than it used to.

Think about this. The average CEO of a major corporation makes more money before lunch on his first day of work than the average worker at his company makes in a year.

Prices for NFL tickets have gone up a lot more than the cost of inflation over the past 30 years.

Players make insane amounts of money. Owners make insane amounts of money. Networks make insane amounts of money. NFL retailers make insane amounts of money. Average fan makes jack squat, pays taxes to pay for the stadiums, buys overpriced NFL merchandise, buys overpriced tickets along with overpriced parking, and is in debt up to his eyeballs.

I love the Chiefs, but between travel costs and the usual expense of games, I am lucky to make one game a year, and usually can't even do that.

alnorth
12-22-2010, 12:12 PM
50 or 100 years from now, I can just imagine it: ticket sales for the cheap seats plummet because people would rather watch at home than go through the hassle for a crappy seat, so the NFL begins to sell the virtual experience.

For the price of a cheap seat you go to a convenient NFL store and enter this pod with a crazy super-realistic virtual reality setup making you feel you are at the game with people coming by your pod to supply you with beer, nachos, and whatever, and you can zoom in to get a better view from your virtually crappy seat. In the real stadium, a hologram of you is projected on your seat to make the place look full. Pretty soon there's a conflict between fans "the reals" who show up to the game vs the softies who watch it virtually from the comfort of their pod.

Bacon Cheeseburger
12-22-2010, 12:17 PM

Where the hell in DTO are you parking for free?

eazyb81
12-22-2010, 12:19 PM
The wife and I eat at some really nice places, but the only way we end up with a check nearing that amount is if we order a lot of drinks or a bottle of wine.

Which tends to happen, at least in my experience, when you treat yourself to a nice dinner.

Anyways, point remains that people find all sorts of frivolous crap to spend their money, but then turn around and complain that something else they want is too expensive. It is about priorities.

eazyb81
12-22-2010, 12:25 PM

Good for you. Apparently you really prioritize long-term use of an item. I guess you don't go to many concerts?

I don't want to get into a huge discussion about what is and is not a valuable expenditure, but of course it is subjective.

But I also don't think it's fair to say out of one side of our mouth that Chiefs fans are so f'n amazing, and then out of the other side come up with a million different excuses why a game that basically decides whether we get in the playoffs or not could be blacked out.

Tickets are expensive just like they have always been, and they're not THAT expensive.

Bearcat
12-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Where the hell in DTO are you parking for free?

It's a block west of the Old Mattress Factory Bar... there's a small lot with meters, which don't have to be paid at night, then some street parking. Before I found that area, I was paying $5 to park in the Matt's parking lot in the lot behind it.

I'm paying $200 for 12 games in 6 weekends, and with gas (and a free place to stay) it comes out to what I'd spend in 4 trips to Arrowhead.

eazyb81
I have the audacity to blame the NFL and owners...and the general philosophy of the super rich in our nation. Not for this game specifically or anything.

Our economy is shit because the super rich keep taking more and more and the average joe gets the same money they got 20 years ago but everything cost a ton more than it used to.

Think about this. The average CEO of a major corporation makes more money before lunch on his first day of work than the average worker at his company makes in a year.

Prices for NFL tickets have gone up a lot more than the cost of inflation over the past 30 years.

Players make insane amounts of money. Owners make insane amounts of money. Networks make insane amounts of money. NFL retailers make insane amounts of money. Average fan makes jack squat, pays taxes to pay for the stadiums, buys overpriced NFL merchandise, buys overpriced tickets along with overpriced parking, and is in debt up to his eyeballs.

I love the Chiefs, but between travel costs and the usual expense of games, I am lucky to make one game a year, and usually can't even do that.

Take it to the D.C. board, Ruskie.

OnTheWarpath58
Take it to the D.C. board, Ruskie.

ROFL

Norman Einstein
12-22-2010, 12:36 PM
What game?

Chiefs and Tennessee. What other game would be blacked out in KC?

baitism
12-22-2010, 12:38 PM
There really are two problems here, one is specific to the NFL and one to KC.

1. Owners are ****ing greedy. NFL players often suffer debilitating injuries that greatly affect them after their careers are over and the owners constantly try to get out of helping with their medical bills or welfare. Football is one of the few sports where I don't think the players are getting overpaid. Owner greed is why there will be a lockout next year. NFL tickets are way overpriced for what you get when compared to other sports.

2. The Truman Sports Complex is out in the middle of ****ing no where with nothing built up around it. So you get no fans there that don't drive to it. I love the concept of a downtown stadium because you get so many people that live around the stadium who go. They don't have to pay for parking, gas, or any other expenses to get there, so it is a much cheaper experience for them. Maybe they should build a new stadium that is actually near entertainment areas or a sizable population center, not effing Timbuktu.

the Talking Can
12-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Chiefs still have work to do to rebuild the fanbase...they haven't hooked a generation of people the way they were hooked in the Marty years...

Bacon Cheeseburger
12-22-2010, 12:43 PM
It's a block west of the Old Mattress Factory Bar... there's a small lot with meters, which don't have to be paid at night, then some street parking. Before I found that area, I was paying $5 to park in the Matt's parking lot in the lot behind it.

I'm paying $200 for 12 games in 6 weekends, and with gas (and a free place to stay) it comes out to what I'd spend in 4 trips to Arrowhead.
Ah, very good. I thought maybe you parked on the Gallup Campus off to the north. I've thought about that before but I'm too paranoid about my car getting towed so I always just park in the Qwest lots.

alnorth
12-22-2010, 12:44 PM
2. The Truman Sports Complex is out in the middle of ****ing no where with nothing built up around it. So you get no fans there that don't drive to it. I love the concept of a downtown stadium because you get so many people that live around the stadium who go. They don't have to pay for parking, gas, or any other expenses to get there, so it is a much cheaper experience for them. Maybe they should build a new stadium that is actually near entertainment areas or a sizable population center, not effing Timbuktu.

If you draw a Venn diagram with three circles, one being people who can afford a ticket, another being people who actually live in downtown, and the third being people who are willing to walk or take a bus to the game but not drive to Truman, any overlap is going to be tiny. I'm not sure if the circles would even touch.

Bearcat
12-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Good for you. Apparently you really prioritize long-term use of an item. I guess you don't go to many concerts?

I don't want to get into a huge discussion about what is and is not a valuable expenditure, but of course it is subjective.

But I also don't think it's fair to say out of one side of our mouth that Chiefs fans are so f'n amazing, and then out of the other side come up with a million different excuses why a game that basically decides whether we get in the playoffs or not could be blacked out.

Tickets are expensive just like they have always been, and they're not THAT expensive.

I went to Pearl Jam in May, which was about the same as a Chiefs game, I guess. They hadn't been in KC since 2003 and I hadn't ever seen them. I spent $35 to see Cake and The Smashing Pumpkins, which was a pretty good value. They were both well worth the money, and I knew they would be before I bought the tickets (that last part is important).

I'm not at all frugal... I've already spent over $300 on Chiefs games this season and I'm going to the Raiders game. I know season ticket holders and others spend far more, and that's their choice. I hope it pays off in the next couple of seasons, because it certainly hadn't in several years prior to this season.

Yes, there's definitely a double standard with people who will fall over each other laughing at Chargers or Raiders fans and their blackouts, then won't pay to show up at Arrowhead (assuming they live close enough or would be willing to pay for tickets if they did).

I've never gotten this so-called responsibility of the fans to sellout games, if it's Arrowhead or elsewhere. The NFL is selling a product. The fans are consumers. That's it. And in recent years, IMO, the product hasn't really been worth the money. I generally go to games if I can get free or discounted tickets, but I've paid full price a few times this season... but I'm not obligated to help out this week to avoid a blackout. That's the Chiefs' problem, if they have consumers willing to go to every game, but not for the price they're charging.

Discuss Thrower
12-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Chiefs still have work to do to rebuild the fanbase...they haven't hooked a generation of people the way they were hooked in the Marty years...

And there probably won't be another one like that, because kids my age are bandwagon fans at best and superstar focused at worst. With the way the NFL is covered these days it wouldn't surprise me if there are more any given NFC East / Colts fans than Chiefs / "local" team fans in any given market

ChiefsNow
12-22-2010, 12:49 PM
50 or 100 years from now, I can just imagine it: ticket sales for the cheap seats plummet because people would rather watch at home than go through the hassle for a crappy seat, so the NFL begins to sell the virtual experience.

For the price of a cheap seat you go to a convenient NFL store and enter this pod with a crazy super-realistic virtual reality setup making you feel you are at the game with people coming by your pod to supply you with beer, nachos, and whatever, and you can zoom in to get a better view from your virtually crappy seat. In the real stadium, a hologram of you is projected on your seat to make the place look full. Pretty soon there's a conflict between fans "the reals" who show up to the game vs the softies who watch it virtually from the comfort of their pod.

WOW. Cool Idea, That could be a blockbuster movie.

baitism
12-22-2010, 12:53 PM
If you draw a Venn diagram with three circles, one being people who can afford a ticket, another being people who actually live in downtown, and the third being people who are willing to walk or take a bus to the game but not drive to Truman, any overlap is going to be tiny. I'm not sure if the circles would even touch.

Well, for the record, I thought they should have moved to the Legends area. But, since MO congress won't let them leave Missouri, downtown is the next best place.

penguinz
12-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Well, for the record, I thought they should have moved to the Legends area. But, since MO congress won't let them leave Missouri, downtown is the next best place.Legends is way the fuck out there as well. And the tickets would be even more expensive at a new stadium. especially one built downtown.

DaFace
12-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Not that anyone cares about this but me, but just for fun, I ran a couple quick calculations on ticket prices over the years. Here's a graph that compares the cost for a family of four to attend a game (including a reasonable amount of extras) to the consumer price index (the measure of inflation).

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2010/fancostindex.png (http://img6.imageshack.us/i/fancostindex.png/)

Basically, in the past 10 years, the cost of going to an NFL game has risen by an inflation-adjusted 20%, and the cost of going to a Chiefs game has risen by 13%. That equates to an extra $70 per game for the NFL average and $42 per game for the Chiefs.

Interesting. It's actually not as much of a jump as I would have expected, but still significant.

go bowe
12-22-2010, 01:23 PM
OMG SHITTY FANS ~!!!!!!!!!111!ROFL ROFL ROFL

Count Zarth
12-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Frauds!

HemiEd
12-22-2010, 01:37 PM

I think it might be just that, a news item trying to stir the pot enough so that all the seats are sold.

We will be driving the 710 miles from Chicago to Wichita on Friday, and I have been contemplating doing the 420 up and back on Sunday to catch that game.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
12-22-2010, 01:37 PM
And there probably won't be another one like that, because kids my age are bandwagon fans at best and superstar focused at worst. With the way the NFL is covered these days it wouldn't surprise me if there are more any given NFC East / Colts fans than Chiefs / "local" team fans in any given market

I blame fantasy football.

(Only half-facitious. People are more worried about "their" players than they are teams these days to listen to the talk in my office.)

HemiEd
12-22-2010, 01:39 PM

Skiptowne?

Norman Einstein
12-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Skiptowne?

He's in Owasso isn't he? I don't think he ever came back.
There was a big blowout sometime back and he got a temporary ban.

I've worked in Tulsa for some time now. If the games aren't on at home that's where I see them.

Guru
12-22-2010, 01:51 PM
I think it might be just that, a news item trying to stir the pot enough so that all the seats are sold.

We will be driving the 710 miles from Chicago to Wichita on Friday, and I have been contemplating doing the 420 up and back on Sunday to catch that game.

let me know if you do go

BigRedChief
12-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Not that anyone cares about this but me, but just for fun, I ran a couple quick calculations on ticket prices over the years. Here's a graph that compares the cost for a family of four to attend a game (including a reasonable amount of extras) to the consumer price index (the measure of inflation).

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2010/fancostindex.png (http://img6.imageshack.us/i/fancostindex.png/)

Basically, in the past 10 years, the cost of going to an NFL game has risen by an inflation-adjusted 20%, and the cost of going to a Chiefs game has risen by 13%. That equates to an extra $70 per game for the NFL average and $42 per game for the Chiefs.

Interesting. It's actually not as much of a jump as I would have expected, but still significant.In 1994 I finally got off the waiting list and bought 3 season tickets for $895.00. Way the hell up in the corner of the upper deck in the end zone about 4 rows from the top. My last year that I bought season tickets in 2007 the bill for season tickets was $3,212.00 for the cheapest seats in the lower bowl behind the goal posts.

ChiefsCountry
12-22-2010, 01:55 PM

Of course its always rich people's fault for everything. :shake:

ChiefsCountry
12-22-2010, 01:58 PM
There really are two problems here, one is specific to the NFL and one to KC.

1. Owners are ****ing greedy. NFL players often suffer debilitating injuries that greatly affect them after their careers are over and the owners constantly try to get out of helping with their medical bills or welfare. Football is one of the few sports where I don't think the players are getting overpaid. Owner greed is why there will be a lockout next year. NFL tickets are way overpriced for what you get when compared to other sports.

Yes blame the fucking owners for everything.

Since Kansas City is such a mass transit city that makes so much sense.

Deberg_1990
12-22-2010, 01:58 PM

Off to D.C. soon............

Chocolate Hog
12-22-2010, 01:59 PM
I didn't really say that.

ChiefsCountry
12-22-2010, 02:01 PM
NFL really needs to make sure the last 3 games of the year are divisional games for lots of reasons. Attendance is one of them.

OnTheWarpath58
12-22-2010, 02:01 PM
In 1994 I finally got off the waiting list and bought 3 season tickets for $895.00. Way the hell up in the corner of the upper deck in the end zone about 4 rows from the top. My last year that I bought season tickets in 2007 the bill for season tickets was $3,212.00 for the cheapest seats in the lower bowl behind the goal posts.

I'm in the process of deciding whether to get season tickets for next year.

10th row upper end zone for under $800 for the pair.

ChiefsCountry
12-22-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm in the process of deciding whether to get season tickets for next year.

10th row upper end zone for under $800 for the pair.

Thats what my season tickets are. Basically right at $40 a seat per game. Great view of the game, I got concessions, bathrooms within a very short walk.

Donger
12-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Average fan buys overpriced NFL merchandise, buys overpriced tickets along with overpriced parking, and is in debt up to his eyeballs.

Hi Effect. My name's Cause.

OnTheWarpath58
12-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Thats what my season tickets are. Basically right at $40 a seat per game. Great view of the game, I got concessions, bathrooms within a very short walk.

Shoot me a PM or Rep with your location, if you don't mind.

My original tickets were in 333, Row 9 and cost $59 a seat. They eventually rose to $79 a seat before I gave them up.

1 row back and $40 a seat cheaper is a no-brainer. My only consideration is the travel costs.

Count Zarth
12-22-2010, 02:52 PM
It's because people haven't opened up their christmas gifts yet i'd be 40% of the tickets are wrapped right now.

That means the tickets are bought and paid for.

OnTheWarpath58
12-22-2010, 02:54 PM

Yeah, that one wasn't thought through completely.

:doh!:

Nirvana58
12-22-2010, 02:56 PM
I am broke as a joke right now. But if anybody has tickets they aren't going to use. I would be happy to take them off your hands. :D

Mr_Tomahawk
12-22-2010, 03:01 PM
It's because people haven't opened up their christmas gifts yet i'd be 40% of the tickets are wrapped right now.

Wow.

Chocolate Hog
12-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Yeah, that one wasn't thought through completely.

:doh!:

Guys lets delete those responses so I can delete that comment.

OnTheWarpath58
12-22-2010, 03:11 PM

You're at the other end of the stadium. I hate that end, basically for traffic reasons.

I'm waiting to hear if I have a ticket for a potential playoff game. If I make it, we need to hook up.

baitism
12-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Yes blame the ****ing owners for everything.

Since Kansas City is such a mass transit city that makes so much sense.

1. If there is a lockout next year, yes, they are the ones to blame.

2. If they had built Arrowhead downtown originally, I guarantee we would at least have some method of mass transit to downtown.

TSC is in the ****ing dumps, and you are dumb if you think otherwise. Go drive around the outlying area, it's blatantly clear.

Discuss Thrower
12-22-2010, 04:01 PM

You know, billay, if KC scores more points than Tennessee they have a pretty good chance of winning the game.

sedated
Guys lets delete those responses so I can delete that comment.

sorry, dipshit.

stupid thoughts come and go, but stupidity on the internet last forever.

Guru
shit, if they were to ever build a downtown stadium I probably wouldn't even come to games. I don't want to deal with the parking issues much less paying to park and paying for further transit.

OnTheWarpath58
12-22-2010, 04:05 PM
shit, if they were to ever build a downtown stadium I probably wouldn't even come to games. I don't want to deal with the parking issues much less paying to park and paying for further transit.

Exactly.

Jesus, we just played a team that gets bashed for having nowhere to tailgate, no atmosphere. Why?

Because they have a downtown stadium.

baitism
12-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Exactly.

Jesus, we just played a team that gets bashed for having nowhere to tailgate, no atmosphere. Why?

Well, goddamn, at least put it somewhere where people can go to the surrounding bars after the game without having to worry about getting mugged or their cars broken into. Oh wait, there isn't anything within walking distance besides a fucking denny's and a couple hotels.

Chocolate Hog
12-22-2010, 04:11 PM
The city lost it's ass on building PNL putting a football or baseball stadium down there might have helped.

baitism
12-22-2010, 04:11 PM
The city lost it's ass on building PNL putting a football or baseball stadium down there might have helped.

Yeah, I agree that a downtown baseball stadium would have made more sense.

Old Dog
12-22-2010, 04:19 PM

This

DTLB58
12-22-2010, 04:21 PM

It's gotta be something, even the games this year that are listed as sold out all those yellow seats in the second deck are empty!

Can you believe this happening in the 90's in the middle of a division race?

It's either the economy or the fan base has really changed. I've been to my one game this year (the monday night opener) and if The Chiefs get in the playoffs I will try to get tix to that. But after purchasing Sunday ticket I can't justify going to more games when it's a 10 hour round trip for me.

DTLB58
12-22-2010, 04:23 PM
...The home with 450 square feet of dedicated mancave space with every conceivable item of team memorabilia balanced precariously on or affixed to any available surface.

Have you been in my basement? :p

Demonpenz
12-22-2010, 04:25 PM
I want a dome downtown.

Old Dog
12-22-2010, 04:27 PM
It's gotta be something, even the games this year that are listed as sold out all those yellow seats in the second deck are empty!

Can you believe this happening in the 90's in the middle of a division race?

It's either the economy or the fan base has really changed. I've been to my one game this year (the monday night opener) and if The Chiefs get in the playoffs I will try to get tix to that. But after purchasing Sunday ticket I can't justify going to more games when it's a 10 hour round trip for me.

So what you're saying is that you're part of the problem you're bitching about?

OnTheWarpath58
12-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Well, goddamn, at least put it somewhere where people can go to the surrounding bars after the game without having to worry about getting mugged or their cars broken into. Oh wait, there isn't anything within walking distance besides a fucking denny's and a couple hotels.

I don't understand this line of thinking, but to each their own.

Let's give away one of the best tailgating experiences in the NFL, and replace it with the ability to go to a bar before or after the game.

Odd.

Coogs
12-22-2010, 04:30 PM
This is probably a stupid question that has been answered many times before, but I missed it if it was. How is it that the yellow seats appeared full in the Monday Nighter against the Bolts? I thought to sit there a 2 year or so deal for seats had to be purchased. If so, then those seats must be sold out, no?

DTLB58
12-22-2010, 04:32 PM

Classic :thumb:

Guru
12-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Well, goddamn, at least put it somewhere where people can go to the surrounding bars after the game without having to worry about getting mugged or their cars broken into. Oh wait, there isn't anything within walking distance besides a ****ing denny's and a couple hotels.
A baseball stadium downtown would work. No way should they put the Chiefs downtown. Thats just crazy talk. Its all about the tailgating.

Guru
12-22-2010, 04:38 PM
This is probably a stupid question that has been answered many times before, but I missed it if it was. How is it that the yellow seats appeared full in the Monday Nighter against the Bolts? I thought to sit there a 2 year or so deal for seats had to be purchased. If so, then those seats must be sold out, no?
They were not that full on the MNF game.

alnorth
12-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Yeah, I agree that a downtown baseball stadium would have made more sense.

No thanks, maybe that experience is a weird east/west coast thing. If I'm going to a baseball game, I want to go there, watch the Royals lose, occasionally view a fireworks show, and then get the hell out. I'm really not looking to go bar-hopping after a baseball game.

DTLB58
12-22-2010, 04:40 PM
So what you're saying is that you're part of the problem you're bitching about?

Didn't know that response bitched about anything for one. And for two, I don't think Clark should count on Fans who live in northern Iowa to sell out his stadium.

Like I said I go when I can. Other than that I make sure I see the team by purchasing Sunday Ticket.

Oh yea, And I'm currently off work for 6 months due to back surgery so I'm just concentrating on Xmas, Bills and paying for my son's college tuition next semester.

DJJasonp
12-22-2010, 04:47 PM

I respectfully disagree....this is the opposite of the truth, if the city builds correctly.

To give you an analogy....in San Diego, Petco park is a downtown stadium.....Qualcomm is a stadium setup more like Arrowhead/Kauffman.

It's 10 times easier to get to Petco park, than it is to get to Qualcomm.

Mass transit is the key. I can take train, trolley, etc. to Petco (for about 5 bucks)....additionally, if I do want to drive - there is tons of parking everywhere (garages, lots, etc.).

Also - if I so choose, I have literally tons of options for pre-game drinks or food (so I'm not paying 10 dollars for a beer, and 5 dollars for a soda).

It brings a ton more money into the city...because it gives, 81 days a year for BB, surrounding businesses a bunch more money.

Coogs
12-22-2010, 04:51 PM
They were not that full on the MNF game.

They appeared to be much closer to full than at any other point this season. Surely not all of those people sit back in the bar areas every single game, do they?

kysirsoze
12-22-2010, 04:52 PM
I don't understand this line of thinking, but to each their own.

Let's give away one of the best tailgating experiences in the NFL, and replace it with the ability to go to a bar before or after the game.

Odd.

No shit. What's all the bitching about? I never leave a Chiefs game sober anyway. I'm usually hoarse and worn out with bruised hands and I've either sweat through my shirt or am freezing my ass off. Heading home to celebrate or mourn is usually what I'm thinking.

I think some Chiefs fans take the tailgating for granted. You can't even drink in the parking lot in SD. (Even though I know many do) I would have been ****ing furious if they relocated downtown and I don't even live in KC anymore.

Guru
12-22-2010, 04:53 PM
I respectfully disagree....this is the opposite of the truth, if the city builds correctly.

To give you an analogy....in San Diego, Petco park is a downtown stadium.....Qualcomm is a stadium setup more like Arrowhead/Kauffman.

It's 10 times easier to get to Petco park, than it is to get to Qualcomm.

Mass transit is the key. I can take train, trolley, etc. to Petco (for about 5 bucks)....additionally, if I do want to drive - there is tons of parking everywhere (garages, lots, etc.).

Also - if I so choose, I have literally tons of options for pre-game drinks or food (so I'm not paying 10 dollars for a beer, and 5 dollars for a soda).

It brings a ton more money into the city...because it gives, 81 days a year for BB, surrounding businesses a bunch more money.
I also said it works for baseball.

DaFace
12-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Tailgating in KC, as we know it, would cease to exist if the stadium were in a downtown area. And I don't know about you guys, but I enjoy the tailgating as much (if not more) than the game itself.

RippedmyFlesh
12-22-2010, 04:59 PM

I'll go out on a limb here and say somehow I don't think in the tailgating capitol of the world people worry much about having enough to eat and drink before the game.

Rams Fan
12-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Exactly.

The Dome isn't used as a full time football stadium like Arrowhead is.

Remember, there was supposed to be the Bottleworks District next to the Dome.

CaliforniaChief
12-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Could we move the game to St. Louis?

Rams Fan
12-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Could we move the game to St. Louis?

No blackouts this season!

CaliforniaChief
12-22-2010, 06:33 PM
No blackouts this season!

http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2010/12/19/17/CHIEFSRAMS2_SP_121910_DRE_0639f.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg

You're welcome.

carlos3652
12-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Just bought 4 upper level seats for 40 each... I'm pissed I missed out on $50 lower level seats on eBay... See u guys there...
Posted via Mobile Device

Guru
12-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Just bought 4 upper level seats for 40 each... I'm pissed I missed out on $50 lower level seats on eBay... See u guys there...
Posted via Mobile Devicewhere did you get those? I'm looking for a deal on Raiders tickets.

Coach
12-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Still possible blackout or has it been avoided?
Posted via Mobile Device

carlos3652
12-22-2010, 08:40 PM
where did you get those? I'm looking for a deal on Raiders tickets.

I got them on tickets exchange... Go to the tickets forum and go to daface sticky thread... He has a link to them there... Tons of tix available.. From $30 and up... Service charge is $5 per ticke and shipping is $5 (via email).

I went with the $35 each option as I got tix in row 20 instead of 30+
Posted via Mobile Device

Brock
12-22-2010, 08:48 PM

Wouldn't it make more sense to put the restaurants and things out by the stadium rather than moving the thing?

Bacon Cheeseburger
12-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense to put the restaurants and things out by the stadium rather than moving the thing?
Don't you think if there was a demand for those things, they would already be there?

Brock
12-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Don't you think if there was a demand for those things, they would already be there?

Quite the point.

Guru
12-22-2010, 08:57 PM
I got them on tickets exchange... Go to the tickets forum and go to daface sticky thread... He has a link to them there... Tons of tix available.. From $30 and up... Service charge is $5 per ticke and shipping is $5 (via email).

I went with the $35 each option as I got tix in row 20 instead of 30+
Posted via Mobile Device

Funny thing is that I am finding better seats slightly cheaper from ticketmaster even after fees. People are overvaluing their seats.

carlos3652
12-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Funny thing is that I am finding better seats slightly cheaper from ticketmaster even after fees. People are overvaluing their seats.

I couldn't get anything on ticket master that was cheap... I was looking at spending over $300+ for 4 tickets in the upper level...

On eBay i missed out on GREAT lower level seats for $202...that pissed me off...

I was really trying to find cheap seats anyway, as these are Christmas gifts to my bro in laws... I already bought them authentic jerseys and I wanted to round out Christmas to a trip to arrowhead...

I was hoping to only spend $120 for the 4 of us... ended up being $160...

SLAG
12-22-2010, 09:34 PM

Hey - I took my wife to her first Chiefs game that day...

Great game...

I think she would have enjoyed it more if she didn't have a seizure the night before :(

her other game was the chargers vs Chiefs on dec 24th and it was rainy and cold (to her) .. THE ONLY time I have ever left a Chiefs game Early...

We Chiefs fans have it lucky, compared to the east coast fans though, 20k just to buy rights to season tickets?!??!

No common man can get tickets to those games (pats/giants/jets/yankess/etc) it seems.

When I travel I have been traveling in my Red chiefs "workout" pants with a yellow stripe on the side and an arrowhead on my left leg..

with a long sleeved chiefs shirt and a chiefs hoodie on top

Packed my Chiefs Coat in the carry on too - came in handy on my trip to Connecticut (#2 that i just got back from today)

i'm rambling .. sorry.. its been a long f'n day...

one last thing if someone can find me a 2 pack deal for these two games with 2 tickets PP opt.. that would be awesome! PM me and we'll talk

baitism
12-22-2010, 09:37 PM
People act like downtown KC is so built up you couldn't have plenty of space to tailgate.....

Shit, just blow up Kemper and all the crap around it (minus the American Royal, or whatever it is called) and there is easily as much room as TSC.

I am only using the last as an example. Everyone here knows there are about 10 places in the KC metro area that would serve as better places for whenever the Hunts decide to build a new stadium.

Guru
12-22-2010, 09:40 PM
I couldn't get anything on ticket master that was cheap... I was looking at spending over $300+ for 4 tickets in the upper level...

On eBay i missed out on GREAT lower level seats for $202...that pissed me off...

I was really trying to find cheap seats anyway, as these are Christmas gifts to my bro in laws... I already bought them authentic jerseys and I wanted to round out Christmas to a trip to arrowhead...

I was hoping to only spend $120 for the 4 of us... ended up being $160...I just want to keep it under $70 per seat. For the raider game it is hard to find anything in the $50 range that isn't row 35 and above.

Bacon Cheeseburger
12-22-2010, 09:43 PM
People act like downtown KC is so built up you couldn't have plenty of space to tailgate.....

Shit, just blow up Kemper and all the crap around it (minus the American Royal, or whatever it is called) and there is easily as much room as TSC.

I am only using the last as an example. Everyone here knows there are about 10 places in the KC metro area that would serve as better places for whenever the Hunts decide to build a new stadium.
I'm pretty sure the location of the stadium is the least of the factors that are affecting attendance. And they won't be building a new stadium any time soon, in case you forgot or weren't aware they just dumped an assload of money into Arrowhead.