PDA

View Full Version : Football A little love for Favre...

The Rick
12-22-2010, 03:01 PM
I've never really had a strong opinion on Favre one way or the other, but he has taken quite a bit of heat over the years (deservedly so). Regardless of how you feel about him, everyone can surely appreciate something like this.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nQlcYsz1c8s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nQlcYsz1c8s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

The Rick
12-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Here's the related article:

Brett Favre Visits Sick Oconomowoc Boy

YouTube Video Shows Former Packer's Wisconsin Trip

Marianne Lyles, WISN 12 News Reporter
POSTED: 10:59 am CST December 21, 2010
UPDATED: 8:05 pm CST December 21, 2010

OCONOMOWOC, Wis. -- An Oconomowoc family has posted a video on YouTube showing a visit from the Minnesota Vikings quarterback.

On Friday, Brett Favre and his wife, Deanna, stopped in Wisconsin to see Anderson Butzine, 5, who was diagnosed with a rare and life-threatening tumor in 2006.

In the video, Favre kisses Butzine's foot and even gives his family gifts.

The former Green Bay Packer talked about the visit in his post-game press conference Monday night.

"Since the brain tumor, he had started writing his '4' backwards so during the game Deanna sent this towel down with a '4' backwards knowing I knew what that would be about," Favre said.

Over the last few years, family friends had contacted Favre to make Butzine's dream come true.

The young Favre fan has had several surgeries and the most recent has been difficult on the family.

Butzine's parents did not want to talk on camera, and Favre asked that no media be present during the visit.
http://www.wisn.com/sports/26206434/detail.html

Sofa King
12-22-2010, 03:06 PM
I don't give a shit how much other people hate him, how many times he retires, or how bad some of his games are. Fact is that Favre is one of my favorite players of all time. Top 3 of any players on any team.

The man has been exciting to watch his entire career, and he genuinely has fun on the field.

And this is cool too.

aturnis
12-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Could do without the shitty music, but nice story.

alpha_omega
12-22-2010, 03:10 PM
I sure hope the story has a happy ending for that young fellow!

Classy, but, i still hate #4!

DaFace
12-22-2010, 03:11 PM
I've got nothing against Favre, except that he's still playing.

Nirvana58
12-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Everyone hates Farve because of all the attention he gets. But he is still an old country boy that many people can relate too and root for. I would take Farve on the Chiefs anyday of the week. (Maybe not this year)

Cave Johnson
12-22-2010, 03:13 PM
I gotta think the brain tumor, or his age, may be impairing his ability to discern just how big of a d-bag Farve is. ;)

Sofa King
12-22-2010, 03:13 PM

I've got nothing against Favre, except that he's still playing.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm27/Boyd506/haters.jpg

siberian khatru
12-22-2010, 03:14 PM
That poor kids looks almost as bad as Favre did Monday night.

It's nice that he spent that much time with the family, especially at home. I hope Anderson recovers -- and Brett retires.

Sofa King
I gotta think the brain tumor, or his age, may be impairing his ability to discern just how big of a d-bag Farve is. ;)

Zaiko
Favre is a huge dbag.. Dbags can do nice things occasionally, it doesn't make them cool or take away their douchyness.

The Rick
12-22-2010, 03:15 PM
FYI as it relates to the story. For those of you who may not be familiar with the region, Oconomowoc is smack in the middle of Packer country....

Sofa King
That poor kids looks almost as bad as Favre did Monday night.

It's nice that he spent that much time with the family, especially at home. I hope Anderson recovers -- and Brett retires.

Sofa King
Favre is a huge dbag.. Dbags can do nice things occasionally, it doesn't make them cool or take away their douchyness.

Cave Johnson

Postwhoring at its finest....

Zaiko
12-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Real cool posting the same shit over and over douche.

DMAC
12-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Do you know where that hand has been, little one?

Pestilence
12-22-2010, 03:17 PM
I sure hope the story has a happy ending for that young fellow!

This.

DaFace

Douchers gonna douche...

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/thirdimpact/DoucheBagmotivator.jpg

OnTheWarpath58
He was one of my favorite players until he started playing games about his retirement with the Packers.

Since then, I've enjoyed waiting for his end-of-season INT every year.

siberian khatru

Why we get labeled haters for wanting him to retire?

I would think any Favre fan would want him to go out gracefully, not like this. This is sad to watch. You can respect everything he's done and still believe he's making a terrible mistake continuing to play at this stage of his career.

Sofa King
12-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Real cool posting the same shit over and over douche.

Congrats on informing us you hate favre in a thread intended to show off his good side.

maybe you balance this out, you could make a hate thread on him. that'll show people for thinking favre can do nice things. there's clearly not enough hate for him already.

Old Dog
12-22-2010, 03:19 PM

I highly doubt you've ever met the man. I have and I can assure you that you're wrong. As most, I think he should have retired some time ago, but that has nothing to do with your ignorance.

Sofa King
12-22-2010, 03:20 PM

I would think any Favre fan would want him to go out gracefully, not like this. This is sad to watch. You can respect everything he's done and still believe he's making a terrible mistake continuing to play at this stage of his career.

this is actually true for this year.

many thought it was true before last year too, but he looked good all year, right up until his last pick.

Too bad on this year though.

Fritz88
12-22-2010, 03:21 PM
How can a 5 year old understand football and Favre?

Anyhow, cool move.

Sofa King
12-22-2010, 03:22 PM
I highly doubt you've ever met the man. I have and I can assure you that you're wrong. As most, I think he should have retired some time ago, but that has nothing to do with your ignorance.

Don't mess with Zaiko. He's passing out neg rep for defending favre.

Nirvana58
12-22-2010, 03:22 PM

He probably should of retired last year and left the game on one of his best seasons statistic wise. However, can you honestly say you would have walked away from something like the 15 Million dollars they payed him to play this season. I could be 60 years old and have to use a walker to get around and I still would of played for 15 Million.

Cave Johnson
12-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Why would anyone criticize a guy that delays ankle surgery for months, makes his teammates fly down to ask him to return, and (allegedly) harasses 3 Jets employees.

That guy seems swell.

Old Dog
12-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Don't mess with Zaiko. He's passing out neg rep for defending favre.

LOL, that seems kind of easy to combat. I've not played that game, but I imagine I can. :D

Sofa King
12-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Why would anyone criticize a guy that delays ankle surgery for months, makes his teammates fly down to ask him to return, and (allegedly) harasses 3 Jets employees.

That guy seems swell.

He was hoping the ankle would heal up on it's own, it didn't so he had the surgery.

he didn't make them do anything, they did it on their own. they got what they asked for. a 40+ yr old QB who not-so-suprisingly has lost alot of his game.

and when you say allegedly, you dont need the ().

Jenson71
12-22-2010, 03:25 PM
*DAMAGE CONTROL*

No, I'm kidding. That was nice of him to do.

Superturtle
12-22-2010, 03:28 PM
I have contributed to this thread

NSFW

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://besthiphopblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/hoe1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://silverdisc.com/cao/Brett-Favre-Scandal-Update&usg=__hMAfS3f8VnOnrkE7rhw-a-lRNAw=&h=1024&w=714&sz=249&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=n1u8CsUtXFK7LM:&tbnh=125&tbnw=86&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbrett%2Bfavre%2Bscandal%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1262%26bih%3D659%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=291&vpy=164&dur=604&hovh=269&hovw=187&tx=98&ty=138&ei=Q3sSTaCbNoO8lQeBxe25DA&oei=JnsSTbyODMX7lweCsrTKCw&esq=4&page=1&ndsp=29&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:0

Tuckdaddy
12-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Favre is the best personality ever in the NFL and he was always exciting to watch. Toughest QB ever with a rocket for an arm. QB's are judges hard on victories and Favre is not. He's judged on stats and the streak. That's not fair to guys like Marino and it's my gripe against him. He is overrated as a player in my book but he's no doubt been fun and like I said, the best personality and interview the NFL has ever had. Maybe in sports period.

Old Dog
12-22-2010, 03:40 PM
QB's are judges hard on victories and Favre is not. He's judged on stats and the streak. That's not fair to guys like Marino and it's my gripe against him. He is overrated .....

Win % of .625 for one of those and .607 for the other....here's a hint Favre's is the first number.

chiefsnorth
12-22-2010, 03:44 PM
I don't give a shit how much other people hate him, how many times he retires, or how bad some of his games are. Fact is that Favre is one of my favorite players of all time. Top 3 of any players on any team.

The man has been exciting to watch his entire career, and he genuinely has fun on the field.

And this is cool too.

I have no problem with him personally, other than philandering which I think is low class... I just think he is as much a media creation as anything and he is overrated as a QB

Cave Johnson
12-22-2010, 03:44 PM
He was hoping the ankle would heal up on it's own, it didn't so he had the surgery.

he didn't make them do anything, they did it on their own. they got what they asked for. a 40+ yr old QB who not-so-suprisingly has lost alot of his game.

and when you say allegedly, you dont need the ().

Thanks for providing the apologist viewpoint.

The fact remains that he delayed consulting with (and by that I mean forwarding the medical to) Dr. Andrews for 3 months, leaving a timetable for recovery that ran up against training camp. He then extracts more out of the Vikes than the 2 yr/$25M contract he signed last year.

Favre could visit every Make a Wish kid in Wiscy, he's still a raging egomaniac

Sofa King
12-22-2010, 03:46 PM
I have no problem with him personally, other than philandering which I think is low class... I just think he is as much a media creation as anything and he is overrated as a QB

He's certainly not the best ever, and there are some i put ahead of him. but bottom line is that he's fun to watch, actually IMO he's the most fun to watch, and that's why i like him.

Superturtle
12-22-2010, 03:46 PM
http://popslant.pblakeney.com/img/p_brett_favre_crying.jpg

Sofa King
12-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks for providing the apologist viewpoint.

The fact remains that he delayed consulting with (and by that I mean forwarding the medical to) Dr. Andrews for 3 months, leaving a timetable for recovery that ran up against training camp. He then extracts more out of the Vikes than the 2 yr/$25M contract he signed last year.

Favre could visit every Make a Wish kid in Wiscy, he's still a raging egomaniac

they offered him more money before he even agreed to come back...

and yes he delayed it, trying to see if it'd recover on his own. i wonder how many times he's delayed an injury just to see it recover fine on it's own.

and sure, he does have a heavy ego. 20 years of fame has done that much at least.

chiefsnorth
12-22-2010, 03:48 PM
He's certainly not the best ever, and there are some i put ahead of him. but bottom line is that he's fun to watch, actually IMO he's the most fun to watch, and that's why i like him.

I think his presence makes football games harder to watch on the whole not easier.

Cave Johnson
12-22-2010, 03:52 PM
they offered him more money before he even agreed to come back...

and yes he delayed it, trying to see if it'd recover on his own. i wonder how many times he's delayed an injury just to see it recover fine on it's own.

and sure, he does have a heavy ego. 20 years of fame has done that much at least.

Dude, you're like Favre's own Bagdad Bob.

Sofa King
12-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Dude, you're like Favre's own Bagdad Bob.

lol.

Old Dog
12-22-2010, 03:59 PM
I almost forgot, two losing seasons (2005 and 2010). Every team in the AFC West has at least as many losing seasons since 2000 as he has had in 20 seasons (Denver has had only two, all the rest have had MORE than Favre has).

Old Dog
12-22-2010, 04:14 PM

I shall not even attemt to debate the first point, as I agree, but why do you believe he is over rated as a QB. I'm not attempting an argument, simply wanting a real opinion.

The "should have retired" I can take or leave as I think he should have as well, but obviously some folks that are better qualified than I (NFL GMs) apparently disagreed.
I won't say that no one can hate the man. Hell, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just have yet to see a valid reason other than the first one you have listed.

Zaiko
12-22-2010, 04:35 PM

I did, but it was pretty brief. I'm a big packers fan been up to Lambeau.

DJJasonp
12-22-2010, 04:59 PM
The Favre hatred is a direct response from the media-created hoopla the past 4 years.

Favre didnt call the media to track his every off-season move. Nor did he ask them to follow the vikings players down to his home this off-season when they begged him to play another year.

So what if the guy changes his mind....who gives a damn.

And guess what? If you played as long as he has....and had the same fire to compete....(and the same bumps/bruises)....you'd probably have a hard time making up your mind on retiring/not retiring.

I'm alright with people hating on him for the sexting....that is, if their house is in holy-order.. (not to mention, the whole truth has yet to come out).

The lovefest that the media had (and still has to a great extent) is due to his competitive fire and his love for the game (and he happens to be pretty gifted at what he does as well).

I guess the haters would rather hear more stories about players such as rae carruth, Donte Stallworth, Ray Lewis? (killers), Jared Allen/Vincent Jackson (multiple DUI's), Chad Johnson, Terrel Owens, etc. (pretty much anyone on the bengals).

I could go on and on.

I still have yet to hear a really good reason to hate the man.

LaChapelle
12-22-2010, 05:03 PM
He's lipless like an alien
and his nickname around the lockerroom is little gray

Superturtle
12-22-2010, 05:16 PM
He's lipless like an alien
and his nickname around the lockerroom is little gray
Probably named after his penis.

GloryDayz
12-22-2010, 05:41 PM
I don't care what a man has done sexually, when he does something like this, I'll lay off and let him do his thing.

JD10367
12-22-2010, 06:06 PM
It was nice of him to do.

Hitler liked dogs, though. So I guess everyone has a redeeming quality.

Sofa King
12-22-2010, 06:16 PM
The Favre hatred is a direct response from the media-created hoopla the past 4 years.

Favre didnt call the media to track his every off-season move. Nor did he ask them to follow the vikings players down to his home this off-season when they begged him to play another year.

And guess what? If you played as long as he has....and had the same fire to compete....(and the same bumps/bruises)....you'd probably have a hard time making up your mind on retiring/not retiring.

I'm alright with people hating on him for the sexting....that is, if their house is in holy-order.. (not to mention, the whole truth has yet to come out).

The lovefest that the media had (and still has to a great extent) is due to his competitive fire and his love for the game (and he happens to be pretty gifted at what he does as well).

I guess the haters would rather hear more stories about players such as rae carruth, Donte Stallworth, Ray Lewis? (killers), Jared Allen/Vincent Jackson (multiple DUI's), Chad Johnson, Terrel Owens, etc. (pretty much anyone on the bengals).

I could go on and on.

:clap:

JD10367
12-22-2010, 06:22 PM

I could go on and on.

He's an egotistical self-absorbed douchebag who only spells "team" with the "m" and the "e". His 'aw shucks' routine wore thin five years ago. He sent pictures of his junk to another woman even though he's married. And that's not even going into his on-the-field skills, where he's known as a "gunslinger" while anyone else who did what he did would simply be known as a "sucky quarterback".

Aside from that, he's awesome.

Old Dog
12-22-2010, 06:28 PM
He's an egotistical self-absorbed douchebag who only spells "team" with the "m" and the "e".

AS proof of this, members of the Vikings apparently begged him to play again this season.

And that's not even going into his on-the-field skills, where he's known as a "gunslinger" while anyone else who did what he did would simply be known as a "sucky quarterback".

Such as the 2 losing seasons in 20 years and better QB rating than Elway or Marino

kysirsoze
12-22-2010, 06:32 PM
AS proof of this, members of the Vikings apparently begged him to play again this season.

Such as the 2 losing seasons in 20 years? Better QB rating and higer winning % than Marino

No shit. Just cause people don't like his public persona, they assume no one likes him. He's always seemed like the most popular guy on his teams. I wouldn't want Favre as our QB even 5 or 6 years ago, but it would have nothing to do with his leadership or team chemistry.

GloryDayz
12-22-2010, 06:40 PM
He's an egotistical self-absorbed douchebag who only spells "team" with the "m" and the "e". His 'aw shucks' routine wore thin five years ago. He sent pictures of his junk to another woman even though he's married. And that's not even going into his on-the-field skills, where he's known as a "gunslinger" while anyone else who did what he did would simply be known as a "sucky quarterback".

I choose not to judge him for sexting, it's not a big deal. In the grand scheme of things, and I'm a conservative, it amount to Clinton getting a little. Good for him.. It's sex, who cares? Not me! Oh, and nice avatar... I'm married, and I'd do her... If that's what sends me to hell, well OK!!! I'm pretty sure God's gunna have something else on the list he wants to talk about!!

Iconic
12-22-2010, 07:01 PM
First time I watched Favre play Football. Shit still gives me chills.
youtube.com/watch?v=_i5ssRj41Xs&feature=related

We all fuck up some times... Give Favre a break.

DJJasonp
12-22-2010, 10:28 PM

Please provide me some facts about his egotistical behavior....and self-absorbed attitude.....and his aw shucks routine.

these are just statements.....apparently by someone who has a bone to pick with Favre.

Did he sleep with your mom?

Was your dad on the practice squad for the packers all those years....hoping for a chance to start?

If you can provide some real, rational examples of the actions you spoke of.....maybe I'll become a believer.

jd1020
12-22-2010, 11:20 PM
The people who hate Favre are the ones who sit around all day and watch ESPN. I lost way more respect for Green Bay than I did Favre after all of that bullshit.

Brainiac
12-22-2010, 11:30 PM
I've got to admit that I've done my share of Favre-hating the last 3 years.

But then I think about Zack Greinke and his "don't really give a shit about baseball" attitude, and it makes me appreciate Brett Favre. If Greinke had one-half of Favre's desire to play the game, he would win 30 games every year.

ThaVirus
12-23-2010, 12:01 AM
The people who hate Favre are the ones who sit around all day and watch ESPN. I lost way more respect for Green Bay than I did Favre after all of that bullshit.

This has some truth to it. I'm probably watching ESPN about 60% of the time my TV is on and I must say, the whole Brett Favre schlong-sucking has gotten completely tired. He may not have asked them to follow his every move and spend so much time discussing his actions that even the ESPN analysts now make jokes when they go an entire episode without mentioning his name, but he's definitely fed off the attention. All the time he's spent mulling over whether he was going to retire or not and keeping franchises and fans wondering if he'll play deep into training camp is retarded.

To add to it, they build him up because he "looks like he's having fun on the field", "looks like a kid out on the sandlot", he's a down-home country boy who a lot of people can relate to.. Who gives a shit? A lot of guys out there are having fun doing what they're doing, they're just not ever so obviously attempting to milk it for all it's worth by picking up their teammates on their shoulders and making sure the camera catches every smile. Not to mention all the "country boys" playing in the league these days. Anyone remember Joe Thomas fishing with his dad on draft day because he wanted to spend time with him before all the NFL craziness? That's 100x more ESPN-worthy than the shit they molest Favre's media-cock about.

What I'm trying to say is: Brett Favre is annoying. And if you're annoying in my book, you're a douchebag. So, Brett Favre is a douchebag.

Zaiko
12-23-2010, 12:55 AM
Well said. Completely agree. :thumb:

beach tribe
12-23-2010, 06:28 AM
I used to really like Farve. All the media outlets have made me long for him to just go away.

Cave Johnson
12-23-2010, 10:31 AM

I could go on and on.

It's totally the media's fault. It's not like Favre, through his agent, leaked pics of how beaten up he was after last season to hype his tough guy image.

http://www.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/02/photos-how-brett-favres-ankle-and-hamstring-turned-purple-after-vikings-loss-to-saints/1

Nirvana58
12-23-2010, 12:50 PM
I really don't get how people hate the guy because he wasn't faithful to his wife. I would bet alot of money that 90% of proffesional athletes cheat on their wives. Hell even Bowe talked about how the Chiefs players use to traffic girls into the their rooms on away games. You can act high and mighty and say that you would never cheat on your spouse. But I guaruntee you don't have gorgeous girls throwing themselves at you everyday.