PDA

View Full Version : News Smart people drink (and smoke) more

DaFace
12-22-2010, 04:40 PM
No, that doesn't mean it'll make you smarter.

http://reason.com/blog/2010/12/20/smart-people-drink-dope-and-sm

Smart People Drink, Dope, and Smoke
Ronald Bailey | December 20, 2010

Researchers find in a new study published in the Review of General Psychology that people with higher IQs are more likely to try out and enjoy mind-altering sutbstances than their dimmer compatriots. As the abstract reports:

Why do some individuals choose to drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, and use illegal drugs while others do not? The origin of individual preferences and values is one of the remaining theoretical questions in social and behavioral sciences. The Savanna-IQ Interaction Hypothesis suggests that more intelligent individuals may be more likely to acquire and espouse evolutionarily novel values than less intelligent individuals. Consumption of alcohol, tobacco, and drugs is evolutionarily novel, so the Savanna-IQ Interaction Hypothesis would predict that more intelligent individuals are more likely to consume these substances. Analyses of two large, nationally representative, and prospectively longitudinal data from the United Kingdom and the United States partly support the prediction. More intelligent children, both in the United Kingdom and the United States, are more likely to grow up to consume more alcohol. More intelligent American children are more likely to grow up to consume more tobacco, while more intelligent British children are more likely to grow up to consume more illegal drugs.

Based on data from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health. Psychology Today also reported:

The following graph shows the association between childhood intelligence, measured in junior high and high school, and adult alcohol consumption seven years later in the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health (Add Health) data in the United States. The association is clear and nearly monotonic. The more intelligent Americans are in their childhood, the more alcohol they consume as young adults.

http://rsrc.psychologytoday.com/files/imagecache/article-inline-full/blogs/38/2010/10/48915-37303.jpg

It is important to note that both income and education, as well as childhood social class and parents' education, are controlled in multiple regression analyses of these data from the US and the UK. It means that it is not because more intelligent people occupy higher-paying, more important jobs that require them to socialize and drink with their business associates that they drink more alcohol. It appears to be their intelligence itself, rather than correlates of intelligence, that inclines them to drink more.

baitism
12-22-2010, 04:49 PM
If they were really that smart they wouldn't do something that degrades their health and increases their chances of cancer.

Fish
12-22-2010, 04:50 PM
I drink because your and idiot.....

MOhillbilly
12-22-2010, 04:50 PM
cool people have known this stuff for years.

Pants
12-22-2010, 04:55 PM

LMAO

Hog Farmer
12-22-2010, 05:06 PM
It's a well know fact that alcohol consumption and creative thinking go hand in hand. Much brainstorming is done over a bottle of whiskey.

In fact, the other night I was driving to the farm and seeing two sets of white line but because I was drunk I was able to come up with the idea of putting my hand over one eye to eliminate one set of lines.

QuikSsurfer
12-22-2010, 05:09 PM

ROFL

Rain Man
12-22-2010, 05:18 PM
On December 22, 2010, I officially discovered that I'm a moron. This is a dark day, but it does explain a lot.

RedThat
12-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Yeah but drinking, smoking, doing drugs whatever just kills brain cells. How come that is not mentioned anywhere in the article?

So if you kill brain cells, wouldn't that make you less of an intellect over time?

*Just say no to drugs. Live your life in moderation

Baconeater
12-22-2010, 05:20 PM
I've been trying to tell people this all along.

Hog Farmer
12-22-2010, 05:29 PM
I'm taking those graphs as backup to my next job interview.

Dartgod
12-22-2010, 05:30 PM
Yeah but drinking, smoking, doing drugs whatever just kills brain cells. How come that is not mentioned anywhere in the article?

So if you kill brain cells, wouldn't that make you less of an intellect over time?

Cliff Clavin explains the "Buffalo Theory":

“Well, you see, Norm, it’s like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it’s the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.”

Gonzo
12-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Me lyke beers and sigaretes a lot. I must bee smarter then ewe!
Gow Huskers!
Posted via Mobile Device

Baconeater
12-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Me lyke beers and sigaretes a lot. I must bee smarter then ewe!
Gow Huskers!
Posted via Mobile Device
Believe it or not, that guy doesn't drink.

Gonzo
12-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Believe it or not, that guy doesn't drink.

Oh, btw...

Did you get that thing I sent you yesterday?
Posted via Mobile Device

LaChapelle
12-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Just putting their mouth where their money is

Mr. Laz
12-22-2010, 05:44 PM
because they are smart enough to know just how fucked up things are and need the numbing

Gonzo
12-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Oh, btw...

Did you get that thing I sent you yesterday?
Posted via Mobile Device

Disregard Bug. I was drinking too much last night and forgot that you sent me a reply.

LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

Art Vader
12-22-2010, 05:49 PM
excessive thought can be a burden on your mind that causes the brain to require a certain kind of rest.

Extra Point
12-22-2010, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=Extra Point au Gonzo]I quite like beer and cigarettes. I'm not as smart as anyone else, seeing that I graduated from UMKC. KSU and KU, thank you for your money this season![QUOTE]

Changed for the helluvit.

RippedmyFlesh
12-22-2010, 05:52 PM

Pfft...those of us with high IQ's have such an enormous amount of brain cells we can afford to kill a few every now and then.

kysirsoze
12-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Ignorance is bliss. Smart people recognize the hopelessness of existence and have to numb the pain.

Donger
12-22-2010, 05:56 PM
I don't really understand the results.

Extra Point
12-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Pfft...those of us with high IQ's have such an enormous amount of brain cells we can afford to kill a few every now and then.

BLUFF-DUH /Vonnegut

RippedmyFlesh
12-22-2010, 06:02 PM
BLUFF-DUH /Vonnegut
One of my favorite Vonnegut quotes was he called smoking suicide by mail.

Consistent1
12-22-2010, 07:09 PM
It's a well know fact that alcohol consumption and creative thinking go hand in hand. Much brainstorming is done over a bottle of whiskey.

In fact, the other night I was driving to the farm and seeing two sets of white line but because I was drunk I was able to come up with the idea of putting my hand over one eye to eliminate one set of lines.

Rep coming for a joke attempt that didn't make mention of pleasuring animals....

KcMizzou
12-22-2010, 07:13 PM
On December 22, 2010, I officially discovered that I'm a moron. This is a dark day, but it does explain a lot.

ROFL

Count Alex's Losses
12-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Lack of willpower.

Frazod
12-22-2010, 07:15 PM
Perhaps smart people are less likely to believe the Nanny State's horseshit propaganda.

Dave Lane
12-22-2010, 07:46 PM
So you are saying smarter people tend to be more liberal? And not so conservative? No shock there.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-22-2010, 08:58 PM
That's right; everyone at the CP Bash 2010 was a fucking genius.

"CP BASH 2010: Hawking Edition, Bitch"!

pr_capone
12-22-2010, 09:00 PM

I bet you are the life of every party.

VAChief
12-22-2010, 09:09 PM
I don't really understand the results.

Grab an "herbal" brownie and a beer.

alnorth
12-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Hmm... I can understand drinking a little bit, I like me a little bit of wine and bourbon because its tastey and arguably has some health benefits if done in moderation.

Smoking? I dont see what in the hell it does for you. You lose some of your sense of taste and smell, cancer risk, it doesnt look pleasant people just do it because of addiction. What the hell do you get out of smoking, and why do "smart" people do it?

alnorth
12-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Just putting their mouth where their money is

oh hey, that actually makes sense, maybe we have the wrong correlation. rep to you.

A lot of poor people might figure out a way anyway, but if you have money and ANY inclination to smoke or drink, there are no barriers.

Hog Farmer
12-22-2010, 10:02 PM
Hmm... I can understand drinking a little bit, I like me a little bit of wine and bourbon because its tastey and arguably has some health benefits if done in moderation.

Smoking? I dont see what in the hell it does for you. You lose some of your sense of taste and smell, cancer risk, it doesnt look pleasant people just do it because of addiction. What the hell do you get out of smoking, and why do "smart" people do it?

This !

SLAG
12-22-2010, 10:12 PM
So you are saying smarter people tend to be more liberal? And not so conservative? No shock there.

I wouldn't necessarily say there is a direct correlation, I think the idea of drug use being more liberal, isn't necessarily true...

although I bet you and I would agree on many a more points now than we use to back in the day - I still consider myself somewhat "moral Conservative" - but I can't put a label on my politics

ClevelandBronco
12-22-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm absolutely certain that Buc Eyed Pea has never touched the stuff.

Fritz88
12-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Could hard thinking and stress lead to people using these measures?

Fritz88
12-22-2010, 10:25 PM

How can this be proven?

Mr. Flopnuts
12-22-2010, 10:43 PM
If they were really that smart they wouldn't do something that degrades their health and increases their chances of cancer.

You're obviously a retard.

Nzoner
12-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Some of the most successful business people I know smoke the wildwood weed on pretty much an everyday basis.

WebGem
12-22-2010, 10:48 PM
I've never smoked weed, that's probably why I'm retarded.

RJ
12-22-2010, 10:49 PM
There is truth in this but it's an imperfect truth.

LiL stumppy
12-22-2010, 11:44 PM

i bet your dumb

stevieray
12-23-2010, 12:15 AM
i bet your dumb

you're.

:doh!:

cdcox
12-23-2010, 12:23 AM
I bet they post videos of their wife's feet on the internet more too.

ChiefsCountry
12-23-2010, 12:29 AM

I know you are trying to be funny but I have made some killer websites and advertisments when I have been smashed.

ClevelandBronco
12-23-2010, 12:52 AM
I know you are trying to be funny but I have made some killer websites and advertisments when I have been smashed.

Perhaps you'd allow us to judge. Links?

bevischief
12-23-2010, 07:51 AM
That's right; everyone at the CP Bash 2010 was a ****ing genius.

"CP BASH 2010: Hawking Edition, Bitch"!

ROFL

bevischief
12-23-2010, 07:51 AM

:thumb:

Rausch
12-23-2010, 08:11 AM
Perhaps smart people are less likely to believe the Nanny State's horseshit propaganda.

I'll be publishing my solution to the unified field theory problem next week.

If my sponsor has his car fixed by then...

The Pedestrian
12-23-2010, 08:14 AM
I could see that.

Smoke because you're baffled by how many idiots get so far ahead.

Drink so you can bring yourself down to their intelligence level.

crazycoffey
12-23-2010, 08:20 AM

I heard a long time ago that humans only use 10% of their brains, so I have plenty to spare....

Norman Einstein
12-23-2010, 08:36 AM
Funny the length of research someone will go to so they can justify their actions.

Rausch
12-23-2010, 08:46 AM

http://www.wonderquest.com/BrainCells.htm

A: No, usually brain cells are not killed. For 16 years, Roberta J. Pentney, professor of anatomy and cell biology at the University at Buffalo, has studied chronic alcohol abuse and brain function. She concludes that alcohol does not kill brain cells but rather damages dendrites--the branched ends of nerve cells that bring messages into the cell.

Alcohol surely affects the brain, as we all know, causing slurred speech, clumsiness, slow reflexes, and a loss of inhibition. But alcohol doesn't destroy the brain cells to cause these problems.

Rather, alcohol dilates the channels in the cellular structure that regulates the flow of calcium. More calcium than normal flows into the cells and stimulates increased activity. Somehow this abnormal "turning on" of activity causes a loss of the end segments but does not kill the whole cell. Losing the end segments, however, means losing incoming messages, which disrupts brain function.

The good news is: the damage to the brain cells, for the most part, isn't permanent. The brain repairs itself but the recovery process does change nerve-cell structure. So most function returns to normal but some does not.

Another researcher, working independently finds similar results: Alcohol doesn't kill brain cells; instead it slows communications. Richard Gross, professor of medicine, chemistry, and molecular biology and pharmacology at Washington University in St. Louis, discovers alcohol combines with the brain's fatty acids and forms compounds called fatty-acid-ethyl esters. These compounds, in turn, change the flow of electric and chemical signals in the brain. A change in this flow alters how the brain works.

A molecule of fatty-acid-ethyl ester latches onto and enters a nerve cell. Inside the cell, the compound speeds up a release of potassium ions, which inhibits the release of neurotransmitters, and that slows down communication between cells.

A drink doesn't kill brain cells. It damages the way brain cells communicate and the damage is largely reversible.

Rausch
12-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Funny the length of research someone will go to so they can justify their actions.

We're a BB.

We'll do 2 hours research on teh webs to find out of if Chinese tea really can cure athlete's foot.

And then still argue for 2 weeks about it...

J Diddy
12-23-2010, 08:56 AM

I will respond to this. Right after I put out my smoke, light a bowl and take a shot.

Gotta get my mind right.

J Diddy
12-23-2010, 08:57 AM
We're a BB.

We'll do 2 hours research on teh webs to find out of if Chinese tea really can cure athlete's foot.

And then still argue for 2 weeks about it...

I don't know if Chinese Tea can cure athletes foot.

I do know Irish Whiskey will make you forget that you even have a foot.

Rausch
12-23-2010, 09:01 AM
I don't know if Chinese Tea can cure athletes foot.

I do know Irish Whiskey will make you forget that you even have a foot.

I also hear it can make you an 12 foot tall red headed giant!

URRRRRRRRR-YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

J Diddy
12-23-2010, 09:03 AM
I also hear it can make you an 12 foot tall red headed giant!

URRRRRRRRR-YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

See, smart people do drink. With a couple of shots I can more than double my height and change my hair color.

notorious
12-23-2010, 09:06 AM
Higher IQ = Higher Income (normally)

Higher Income = More money to spend on extra curricular activities :)

Norman Einstein
12-23-2010, 09:06 AM
We're a BB.

And then still argue for 2 weeks about it...ROFL

Are you sure that everyone does 2 hours or is it just 2 minutes?

Rausch
12-23-2010, 09:08 AM
ROFL

Are you sure that everyone does 2 hours or is it just 2 minutes?

I've already had this conversation once today and I won't be having it again...

Norman Einstein
12-23-2010, 09:08 AM

Not always, but pretty much right.

Low income drugs - meth?

Higher income drugs - Cocaine?

J Diddy
12-23-2010, 09:09 AM

So a homeless guy addicted to drugs and booze isn't a bum?

He's just a smart motherfucker, saving some money on a mortgage.

POND_OF_RED
12-23-2010, 09:22 AM

So does the sun, but I'd much rather step out and live for awhile then live sheltered my whole life. Doctors say everything causes cancer these days. Stress can lead to heart problems too, so you could also say smoking weed prevents heart problems.

jidar
12-23-2010, 09:23 AM

That was specifically addressed and controlled for in the article.

Rausch
12-23-2010, 09:30 AM
So does the sun, but I'd much rather step out and live for awhile then live sheltered my whole life. Doctors say everything causes cancer these days. Stress can lead to heart problems too, so you could also say smoking weed prevents heart problems.

People need to own up and realize that anything you buy in a can or that is mass-produced is full of unhealthy chemicals.

These chemicals may or may not contribute to your own hereditary risk of cancer.

If you have not grown or raised what you put in your body you've trusted your long term health to some corporation.

Hell, the USDA doesn't regulate bottled water or herbal supplements...

jAZ
12-23-2010, 09:50 AM
Smart people are just as prone to cognitive dissonance.

boogblaster
12-23-2010, 09:57 AM
of course we do .......

Graystoke
12-23-2010, 10:17 AM
Anybody got a light?

http://3.media.tumblr.com/ryUWWkDgRr0hdps5574E8uZio1_400.jpg

burt
12-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Smart people are just as prone to cognitive dissonance.

I have to grab a cocktail..... then I will understand "cognitive dissonance".

Oh shit, Clayton will now post a pic to explain it to me......... Does he drink too much or smoke too much?

notorious
12-23-2010, 10:27 AM

He's just a smart mother****er, saving some money on a mortgage.

LMAO

notorious
12-23-2010, 10:27 AM
Perhaps the title of the article should be "People that drink and smoke THINK that they are smarter".

Sully
12-23-2010, 10:29 AM

Oddly, I started smoking during the last couple of months before getting my degree.

Sent from my Lite Brite using Tapatalk

Rausch
12-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Anybody got a light?

http://3.media.tumblr.com/ryUWWkDgRr0hdps5574E8uZio1_400.jpg

"Gladly, though I'm a great distance away and restricted by the speed of light..."

http://www.eflanger.com/pipes/pics/einstein.jpg

Rausch
12-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Perhaps the title of the article should be "People that drink and smoke THINK..."

Good call...

Hydrae
12-23-2010, 10:39 AM
We do it to try to get to the level of the stupid people around us.

jidar
12-23-2010, 10:45 AM
People need to own up and realize that anything you buy in a can or that is mass-produced is full of unhealthy chemicals.

These chemicals may or may not contribute to your own hereditary risk of cancer.

If you have not grown or raised what you put in your body you've trusted your long term health to some corporation.

Hell, the USDA doesn't regulate bottled water or herbal supplements...

Not everything synthetic causes cancer.

There are plenty of naturally occurring carcinogens.

Rausch
12-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Not everything synthetic causes cancer.

There are plenty of naturally occurring carcinogens.

I'm not going to spend hours arguing this point but let's just agree that there's a lot of bad consumable $#!t out there and most people choose not to admit it or protect themselves against it.

Would that be fair?...

notorious
12-23-2010, 10:54 AM
I'm not going to spend hours arguing this point but let's just agree that there's a lot of bad consumable $#!t out there and most people choose not to admit it or protect themselves against it.

Would that be fair?...

Just watched Super Size Me last night.

Wow.

burt
12-23-2010, 10:55 AM

Wow.

Should I quit avoiding that movie?

notorious
12-23-2010, 11:05 AM
Should I quit avoiding that movie?

He gained 25 pounds in 30 days. Body fat went from 12% to 18%. It took him 14 months to get his body back to normal.

That scared me. My body is NOT a temple, but the work it takes to get rid of that shit has me thinking that I might cut down on my fast food experiences a little bit.

Goldmember
12-23-2010, 11:08 AM
you're.

:doh!:

you mean it's not "yer"?

Rausch
12-23-2010, 11:15 AM

Wow.

He's fucking retarded.

I lost 40 lbs eating Taco Bell and McD's for 6 months.

Oh, and there's a slight chance I had a beer or 2 in that span.

Detoxing
12-23-2010, 11:17 AM

He's just a smart mother****er, saving some money on a mortgage.

I knew a homeless guy that owned a brand new Benz. No joke. I saw him all the time when I was homeless. He would sleep on the beach and pan-handle. He parked it at the beach and kept a car cover over it.

I guess he paid for it with his disability checks or something.

Rausch
12-23-2010, 11:18 AM
I knew a homeless guy that owned a brand new Benz. No joke. I saw him all the time when I was homeless. He would sleep on beach and pan-handle. He parked it at the beach and kept a car cover over it.

Did he at least share with you?

Hydrae
12-23-2010, 11:18 AM
I knew a homeless guy that owned a brand new Benz. No joke. I saw him all the time when I was homeless. He would sleep on beach and pan-handle. He parked it at the beach and kept a car cover over it.

There was a guy in Portland who used to go around to all the parks and stuff collecting cans. Drove an old beater pickup truck. Rumor was that he actually owned several business buildings and was quite rich. :shrug:

Art Vader
12-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Drinking alcohol makes me far less intelligent than smoking weed does. Some people just can't understand the ability THC has to put you in a creative zone, because they are simply uncreative and lame (I'm guessing). I can't count the number of times I've been stumped on a problem while working on creative projects, when after a while i just toked up and the resolution flowed out with a quickness, and with a gleaming artistic quality which is more often than not unmatched by sober workings.

I'm thinking that weed will make you more stupid if you're already stupid to begin with (and/or uncreative), but if you're creative (not necessarily intelligent) it unlocks some incredible things that I'm truly sorry not everyone can experience. Believe it or not there's a strong working percentage of functioning 'potheads' in the world who don't match up to the stereotypes set forth by people who aren't experiencing the same things a creative user will experience. It just works with some peoples' minds.. and doesn't with others'.

I know a lot of writers are drunks.. when I get drunk I couldn't possibly do anything really productive. It doesn't work for me like that, but it obviously does for others, so I try to avoid judging those people because I know we are different and that is OK. IMO people hate on what they can't understand, and some things you can just never understand due to genetics... so it would be wise not to lump everyone together in ANY circumstance.

FishingRod
12-23-2010, 04:43 PM
He gained 25 pounds in 30 days. Body fat went from 12% to 18%. It took him 14 months to get his body back to normal.

That scared me. My body is NOT a temple, but the work it takes to get rid of that shit has me thinking that I might cut down on my fast food experiences a little bit.

To be fair his Boss eeerrr girlfriend was a Vegan so he went from eating twigs and grass to deep fried crap 3 times a day. If he had smoked and drank more he would have been much better off.

Marcellus
12-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Smart people see the world for the fucked up place it is and look for ways to separate themeselves from the reality.

I keed.

kysirsoze
12-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Drinking alcohol makes me far less intelligent than smoking weed does. Some people just can't understand the ability THC has to put you in a creative zone, because they are simply uncreative and lame (I'm guessing). I can't count the number of times I've been stumped on a problem while working on creative projects, when after a while i just toked up and the resolution flowed out with a quickness, and with a gleaming artistic quality which is more often than not unmatched by sober workings.

I'm thinking that weed will make you more stupid if you're already stupid to begin with (and/or uncreative), but if you're creative (not necessarily intelligent) it unlocks some incredible things that I'm truly sorry not everyone can experience. Believe it or not there's a strong working percentage of functioning 'potheads' in the world who don't match up to the stereotypes set forth by people who aren't experiencing the same things a creative user will experience. It just works with some peoples' minds.. and doesn't with others'.

I know a lot of writers are drunks.. when I get drunk I couldn't possibly do anything really productive. It doesn't work for me like that, but it obviously does for others, so I try to avoid judging those people because I know we are different and that is OK. IMO people hate on what they can't understand, and some things you can just never understand due to genetics... so it would be wise not to lump everyone together in ANY circumstance.

Weed might make me creative. I wouldn't know for sure, since it pretty much always makes me pass out. Probably because I smoke so rarely.

Alcohol does make me more creative somtimes. It removes the inhibitions so I don't censor myself so much. Too much, though, and creativity does start to give way to dumbassery.

Art Vader
12-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Weed might make me creative. I wouldn't know for sure, since it pretty much always makes me pass out. Probably because I smoke so rarely.

Alcohol does make me more creative somtimes. It removes the inhibitions so I don't censor myself so much. Too much, though, and creativity does start to give way to dumbassery.

it's just not for some people, but there are many different kinds that will affect you in many different ways.. some leaving you sleepy or hungry more than others.

alcohol makes me a more creative shit talker lol, I like drinking but people get out of control with it and it creates unsafe environments.

notorious
12-23-2010, 05:57 PM
To be fair his Boss eeerrr girlfriend was a Vegan so he went from eating twigs and grass to deep fried crap 3 times a day. If he had smoked and drank more he would have been much better off.

I agree. The fact that he sat on his ass 30 days straight didn't help matters either.

The God Hypothesis
12-23-2010, 06:31 PM
“The road to excess leads to the palace of wisdom...for we never know what is enough until we know what is more than enough.” -William Blake

I am going to need a black & tan, a shot of Patron Anejo, and a Irish Car Bomb to go with this quote.

Yamas!!

ClevelandBronco
12-23-2010, 06:45 PM
He's ****ing retarded.

I lost 40 lbs eating Taco Bell and McD's for 6 months.

Oh, and there's a slight chance I had a beer or 2 in that span.

Sure, but how much meth was involved?

kysirsoze
12-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Sure, but how much meth was involved?

Just the normal amount. It's central Missouri, afterall.

PRIEST
12-23-2010, 09:34 PM

No shi* what fuc^ was I thinking , I mean really ?:harumph:

PRIEST
12-23-2010, 09:36 PM

:p

Param
12-23-2010, 09:40 PM

Very nice.

At the end of the day, we all end up 6 ft under or a bag of ashes.

Nzoner
12-23-2010, 09:48 PM

Good focking post :thumb:

rep to you

CosmicPal
12-23-2010, 10:07 PM

I don't know about weed, but I know when I tried anything with psychoactive compounds such as shrooms, my creativity peaked exponentially. A friend of mine still has a painting I did years ago when we were tripping. He had an easel set up and I just sat down and painted away like a madman. He loved it so much he put it up in his den and it's been there for years. I was surprised to find it still there when I paid him a visit a couple of years ago.

As a writer, drinking was the beast. I simply don't understand how writers can drink like they do and then sit down with a massive hangover and write anything. Although, I've read that most of them wrote when they were sober. They only drank when they were finished writing 'cause the alcohol consumption silenced the little ramblings in their heads. Hemingway got up early and did all of his work before noon. He'd then run out and get hammered the rest of the day. Kerouac would stay sober for months and when he was done writing, he'd go on a drinking binge. It's guys like Bukowski that amazes me- guys like him drank and wrote all the time as though they were simply cogs in a machine.

kysirsoze
12-23-2010, 10:10 PM
I don't know about weed, but I know when I tried anything with psychoactive compounds such as shrooms, my creativity peaked exponentially. A friend of mine still has a painting I did years ago when we were tripping. He had an easel set up and I just sat down and painted away like a madman. He loved it so much he put it up in his den and it's been there for years. I was surprised to find it still there when I paid him a visit a couple of years ago.

As a writer, drinking was the beast. I simply don't understand how writers can drink like they do and then sit down with a massive hangover and write anything. Although, I've read that most of them wrote when they were sober. They only drank when they were finished writing 'cause the alcohol consumption silenced the little ramblings in their heads. Hemingway got up early and did all of his work before noon. He'd then run out and get hammered the rest of the day. Kerouac would stay sober for months and when he was done writing, he'd go on a drinking binge. It's guys like Bukowski that amazes me- guys like him drank and wrote all the time as though they were simply cogs in a machine.

That makes total sense. I write as well and when I am really kicking ass and writing a lot, I tend to have trouble getting to sleep and staying asleep. It's a hard switch to turn off. That's mostly a good thing cause it keeps the creative juices flowing, but a cocktail here and there sure doesn't hurt. :thumb: