PDA

View Full Version : Life Help me shop for a car!

pr_capone
12-24-2010, 01:22 AM
I've narrowed this down to 3 vehicles (though I reserve the right to add more as I find them). All prices are their asking price... not what I would pay.

2002 Ford Focus SVT w/ 72k miles - $5500
2002 VW Jetta Wagon w/ 98k miles - $6300
1993 BMX 740i w/ 50k miles - $4000

The Focus is the only one that is a stick shift but the other two are damn nice, fit the budget, and I would not mind driving any of them.

Jetta Wagon
http://images.craigslist.org/3k93m33l45Y15Q05T6ack57bd9eb2b7f71238.jpg

BMW
http://images.craigslist.org/3k63oe3lb5O15U65P0acn5ff8f5b398a2112d.jpg

Ford (no image attached... stock pic only)
http://image.automotive.com/f/featuredvehicles/10966977+pheader/sstp_0108_08_z+2002_ford_focus_svt+front_left.jpg

Doing my research but any first hand knowledge on these cars would be a huge help.

OnTheWarpath58
12-24-2010, 01:25 AM
The beamer is going to cost more to repair, but with only 50K miles, you could put 200K more on that bitch by just taking care of it. Good value for the dollar, IMO.

Krauts know how to build 'em.

Guru
12-24-2010, 01:36 AM
Vote number 2 for the beemer.

Tylerthigpen!1!
12-24-2010, 01:43 AM
What is the repair history? Has the jetta/bimmer had its timing belt replaced? The jetta probably has but how many miles did it have on it when replaced?

johnny961
12-24-2010, 01:44 AM
Beamer. As was already mentioned, repairs will be more costly but with only 50K on it I don't see where there could be a hell of alot wrong with it if the previous owner even did a half assed job of maintaining it. The cheaper price tag on it as opposed to the others will help to offset any unforeseen costs if they crop up. The beamer is also the best looking of the 3 IMHO.

pr_capone
12-24-2010, 01:47 AM
What is the repair history? Has the jetta/bimmer had its timing belt replaced? The jetta probably has but how many miles did it have on it when replaced?

I'm going to go drive the BMW tomorrow and see what it's like.

This was the ad:

"My car is like new I have 49,804 actual miles on it ,if you are looking for a good car,and a good ride, drive this car .a few things needs to be addressed but nothing major."

Tylerthigpen!1!
12-24-2010, 01:55 AM
I'm going to go drive the BMW tomorrow and see what it's like.

This was the ad:

"My car is like new I have 49,804 actual miles on it ,if you are looking for a good car,and a good ride, drive this car .a few things needs to be addressed but nothing major."

I would be cautious about it. Ask him what it was used for. Groceries? Those are going to be tough miles. Also since it wasn't driven much the owner might not have change the oil every three months. The oil does start to break down after three months even if three thousand miles didn't go by. Shoot Sauto a pm. He is more qualified than all of us.

googlegoogle
12-24-2010, 04:58 AM
-cost of parts.

-insurance.

I say focus if you're on a budget.

Baconeater
12-24-2010, 05:17 AM
The age of that BMW would scare me.

Sfeihc
12-24-2010, 06:21 AM
A friend of mine has a focus svt and raves about it. Take care of the Ford and it will turn 250k as well. Cheapest to repair if anything were to go wrong.

LaChapelle
12-24-2010, 06:30 AM
I've never heard anything good about a VW
3,000 miles a year average=stay the fuck away
Focus or shop some more

El Jefe
12-24-2010, 07:05 AM
I would be cautious about it. Ask him what it was used for. Groceries? Those are going to be tough miles. Also since it wasn't driven much the owner might not have change the oil every three months. The oil does start to break down after three months even if three thousand miles didn't go by. Shoot Sauto a pm. He is more qualified than all of us.

:doh!:

Extra Point
12-24-2010, 07:27 AM
Pay a mechanic to inspect the BMW. If it checks out right, then, buy it. In the long haul, it would be the best value, if you put in the money for maintenance. I don't think its a four banger, so its timing would be geared.

If you don't mind driving a stick and the car vibrating, it's still a lot of money for a Focus. If it had an auto transmission, you'd want to steer clear of it.

VW brags on a 100K mile transmission; if you buy this car, you'll have to drop the pan, change the filter, and you better have the diagnostic tool just to do that, for checking fluid temp. VW's are rust buckets, but easy to maintain, with the right tools. Requires re-initialization of factory engine settings after timing belt and transmission fluid replacement. The price for that vehicle seems too high.

Saul Good
12-24-2010, 08:32 AM
I would start over on your search. Based on the range of vehicles you described, it doesn't sound like you have a plan. Its not a good idea to make a major purchase without first forming a plan. (Don't confuse researching with planning.)

Any of those cars might work out fine, but you need to figure out your needs first.

Bwana
12-24-2010, 08:36 AM
The BMW's are built like a brick shithouse, but they cost a ton of money to maintain. Something to keep in mind.

bobbything
12-24-2010, 08:56 AM
My $0.02...

I had an 04 Jetta. It was fine until it hit 85,000 miles. At that point, I had all sorts of problems; much of it being electrical. Also some stupid stuff like the water pump going bad, and the such. Over the course of a year I probably spent $1500 on fixing it. It culminated with the tranny going out.

My dad had an 86 Audi 5000 when we were growing up. He had similar electrical problems.

I do not recommend German, unless you're buying new.

Really, if I were you, I'd be looking at Japanese vehicles. Especially since you're looking at vehicles near 90k miles.

Fairplay
12-24-2010, 09:26 AM
Keep shopping around. There are more cars out there.

Bwana
12-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Keep shopping around. There are more cars out there.

I have to agree with this. The three you picked, all have a very stong potential to be money pits.

ChiefsNow
12-24-2010, 09:31 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7q2HwZ3bTJE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7q2HwZ3bTJE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

RockChalk
12-24-2010, 09:31 AM
The BMW's are built like a brick shithouse, but they cost a ton of money to maintain. Something to keep in mind.

Read this. Read it again. And once more for good measure.

Had a buddy buy a used 325 (mid 90's) about 2 years ago. Got it for a good price and the thing ran well. The kicker, those every 3-4 month visits where he spent $1-2K just for routine maintenance. His great buy cost him about $7-8K more than he expected, all on routine maintenance.

Zebedee DuBois
12-24-2010, 09:35 AM
I've had a 2001 Jetta in the family fleet, and it nickled and dimed me. I kept wanting to like it, but there was a slow drip, drip, drip out of my wallet. I replaced it with a much newer Focus and haven't had a problem with it yet.

Fairplay
12-24-2010, 09:38 AM
I have to agree with this. The three you picked, all have a very stong potential to be money pits.

His car choices are all over the place. I mean all three cars are so different.

The good news is that he isn't super picky and should be able to find something just not the cars shown.

Baconeater
12-24-2010, 09:41 AM
:doh!:
lol...I once asked a guy at the quickie lube place about a Firebird that I only drove maybe 1500 miles a year, he said I should change it every 3 months no matter I many miles I drive. So that meant I should change the oil when I parked it for the winter in November, and then change it again in March with 0 miles on it...uhhhh, no.

R8RFAN
12-24-2010, 09:49 AM
I've narrowed this down to 3 vehicles (though I reserve the right to add more as I find them). All prices are their asking price... not what I would pay.

2002 Ford Focus SVT w/ 72k miles - $5500
2002 VW Jetta Wagon w/ 98k miles - $6300
1993 BMX 740i w/ 50k miles - $4000

The Focus is the only one that is a stick shift but the other two are damn nice, fit the budget, and I would not mind driving any of them.

Jetta Wagon
http://images.craigslist.org/3k93m33l45Y15Q05T6ack57bd9eb2b7f71238.jpg

BMW
http://images.craigslist.org/3k63oe3lb5O15U65P0acn5ff8f5b398a2112d.jpg

Ford (no image attached... stock pic only)
http://image.automotive.com/f/featuredvehicles/10966977+pheader/sstp_0108_08_z+2002_ford_focus_svt+front_left.jpg

Doing my research but any first hand knowledge on these cars would be a huge help.

Which one can you buy cash?

MIAdragon
12-24-2010, 09:58 AM

That Focus will run forever, stay away from that BMW its not worth it even if it were free.

El Jefe
12-24-2010, 10:05 AM
lol...I once asked a guy at the quickie lube place about a Firebird that I only drove maybe 1500 miles a year, he said I should change it every 3 months no matter I many miles I drive. So that meant I should change the oil when I parked it for the winter in November, and then change it again in March with 0 miles on it...uhhhh, no.

Crooks man. I agree with changing it once a year no matter what, but every 3 months no matter what? Screw that non-sense.

threebag02
12-24-2010, 10:06 AM
"if you don't come see me today I can't save you any MONEY"

Absolutly Incredible

"Drive away with 3000 Christmas CA$H"

Rusty Eck Ford you can't do better than that.

*I want to smash something everytime I hear this ad.

EWOK
12-24-2010, 10:19 AM
have a mechanic look over any car you chose but maintaince records are a key to longevity of any car. The oil should be change depending on type of driving anywhere from 3,000 to 7,500 miles.

JASONSAUTO
12-24-2010, 10:30 AM
That Focus will run forever, stay away from that BMW its not worth it even if it were free.

THIS for sure THIS. fuck that bmw. trust me on this....

pr_capone
12-24-2010, 10:52 AM
I would start over on your search. Based on the range of vehicles you described, it doesn't sound like you have a plan. Its not a good idea to make a major purchase without first forming a plan. (Don't confuse researching with planning.)

Any of those cars might work out fine, but you need to figure out your needs first.

dude... I've done nothing but look at cars over the past few weeks.

all 3 fit my needs and all 3 I can buy in cash.

TBH, these are my criteria

1. reliable
2. not boring

everything else is up for grabs. what I mean by not boring is that I will not buy a ford taurus or a 1991 Chevy Celebrity no matter how well it's been taken care of how detailed their record keeping was.

boogblaster
12-24-2010, 11:07 AM
BMW ... long at heart .. costly to repair .. still would go with it tho .......

Buehler445
12-24-2010, 11:12 AM

1. reliable
2. not boring

everything else is up for grabs. what I mean by not boring is that I will not buy a ford taurus or a 1991 Chevy Celebrity no matter how well it's been taken care of how detailed their record keeping was.

And these cars are what you came up with? It's all subjective, but there could be some better buys out there. I've driven a Pontiac Grand Prix, and a Pontiac G6 that would probably be in that price range. They ran perfect the entire time I had them and they were far from boring. The G6 had some nice reliability features like a sealed transmission and electric steering. I was REALLY nervous about the transmission, but after I thought about it, if you do anything with it, you're going to have to drop the pan anyway, and this kept dirt out and leaks from starting. The electric steering was nice because it required no maintenance and would not leak. The big deal was that it was variable based on how fast you were driving. Those are a couple cars I'd recommend.

You might also look into Nissan Altima or Maxima type cars. Most people I have talked to love the crap out of them. My cousin has a Mazda 3 series I think. I'd imagine that would be close to the focus type car. She's had decent luck with maintenance and she is a 20 year old girl.

Whatever you do, make sure the car is NOT under any circumstances underpowered. Underpowered cars don't last nearly as long, because they're working their ass off the whole time.

I'd think the Ford would be your best bet. I don't know anything about the SVT Focus, but their SVT cars in the early-mid 90's were terrible to try to keep running. Hopefully Ford has improved that. I know virtually nothing about VW. BMW is typically love or hate. LOTS of shit can happen in the 18 years since 1993 production.

Delaney37
12-24-2010, 11:21 AM
The BMW isn't bad but like everyone else said it'll cost ya when you need to fix it. Out of the 3 I'd go with the Ford but you might take a look at Pride Auto Plaza's website(prideautoplaza.com). I check it from time time to see what classics they have and they have a Chevy Monza right now for just under $4000. One owner with 36,000 miles. Looks very clean and straight. Anyways, best of luck to ya in your search!

Brock
12-24-2010, 11:36 AM
None of those.

JASONSAUTO
12-24-2010, 11:44 AM
And these cars are what you came up with? It's all subjective, but there could be some better buys out there. I've driven a Pontiac Grand Prix, and a Pontiac G6 that would probably be in that price range. They ran perfect the entire time I had them and they were far from boring. The G6 had some nice reliability features like a sealed transmission and electric steering. I was REALLY nervous about the transmission, but after I thought about it, if you do anything with it, you're going to have to drop the pan anyway, and this kept dirt out and leaks from starting. The electric steering was nice because it required no maintenance and would not leak. The big deal was that it was variable based on how fast you were driving. Those are a couple cars I'd recommend.

You might also look into Nissan Altima or Maxima type cars. Most people I have talked to love the crap out of them. My cousin has a Mazda 3 series I think. I'd imagine that would be close to the focus type car. She's had decent luck with maintenance and she is a 20 year old girl.

Whatever you do, make sure the car is NOT under any circumstances underpowered. Underpowered cars don't last nearly as long, because they're working their ass off the whole time.

I'd think the Ford would be your best bet. I don't know anything about the SVT Focus, but their SVT cars in the early-mid 90's were terrible to try to keep running. Hopefully Ford has improved that. I know virtually nothing about VW. BMW is typically love or hate. LOTS of shit can happen in the 18 years since 1993 production.

like i said in another thread i have a guy who drives a SVT focus and he loves it and drives it everyday. and he runs it. RUNS IT. he also owns a couple of lotus'.

LaChapelle
12-24-2010, 11:45 AM
I bet the BMW was some kind of delivery car
from wedding cakes to realtor to funeral home

COchief
12-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Lol at the guy suggesting a Chevy Monza. I have shopped in this range a few times and the best bang for your buck by far is a 2000-2003 Maxima. Dead reliable with 220-260 HP (0-60 stick times are 6.5 or 5.9 for 00-01, 02-03) and 24-29 mpg, I personally like the body style and think it stands out from other sedans. Other great values in that range are the old boxy Cherokee 98-01, Honda prelude, RSX, but you have to hunt for these and find one that hasn't been owned by an idiot (goes for SVT focus too).

Avoid any VW in this price range, their quality has been better lately but the range you are in is a disaster. Constant little things that will drive you up the wall and cost you a fortune.

Good luck

PS, I have heard the SVT is a great car but the moron owner % is likely to be pretty high

pr_capone
12-24-2010, 11:51 AM
And these cars are what you came up with? It's all subjective, but there could be some better buys out there. I've driven a Pontiac Grand Prix, and a Pontiac G6 that would probably be in that price range.

I saw a G6 that was in the price range. Nice as cars as they are, I'm not sure I would trust a "modern" GM vehicle, especially that of a line that is now defunct.

I sincerely appreciate the input tho. It all helps.

pr_capone
12-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Lol at the guy suggesting a Chevy Monza. I have shopped in this range a few times and the best bang for your buck by far is a 2000-2003 Maxima. Dead reliable with 220-260 HP (0-60 stick times are 6.5 or 5.9 for 00-01, 02-03) and 24-29 mpg, I personally like the body style and think it stands out from other sedans. Other great values in that range are the old boxy Cherokee 98-01, Honda prelude, RSX, but you have to hunt for these and find one that hasn't been owned by an idiot (goes for SVT focus too).

Avoid any VW in this price range, their quality has been better lately but the range you are in is a disaster. Constant little things that will drive you up the wall and cost you a fortune.

Good luck

PS, I have heard the SVT is a great car but the moron owner % is likely to be pretty high

Funny enough, I have been to the website that Delaney suggested and did give the Monza a hard look. lol

I like that range of Nissan as well but so far have only come up with very high mileage ones and all were automatic.

Though not a sticking point, I most certainly would prefer a stick.

COchief
12-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Drive to Denver and buy this one, one owner 120K stick with leather. Won't find anything nicer and faster than that for $6k. Should run to 200k with minimal maintenance. They also hold their value like you wouldn't believe I just sold a 2000 that I bought book for 7200 three years ago for 5900 after putting 30k on it.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=48822636&listingRecNum=8&criteria=prMx%3D7000%26sf1Dir%3DDESC%26prMn%3D0%26alMdId%3D21445%26mkId%3D20077%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId% 3D21445%26rd%3D75%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice%26zc%3D80228%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26alMkId%3D20077%26rpp%3D50%26fe edSegId%3D28705&aff=national

Baconeater
12-24-2010, 12:02 PM

1. reliable
2. not boring

As a car aficionado myself I can appreciate 'not boring', but generally that means 'a pain in the ass'. There's a reason there are so many boring Camrys and Accords out there.

Brock
12-24-2010, 12:07 PM
If you want something that's not boring, just go all in and buy a stang or something like that. If you want something you don't have to screw around with, well, we all know what kinds of cars those are.

pr_capone
12-24-2010, 12:11 PM
If you want something that's not boring, just go all in and buy a stang or something like that. If you want something you don't have to screw around with, well, we all know what kinds of cars those are.

Oh, I'm looking at Mustangs as well. :)

JTagg7754
12-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Not trying to add more to your list but if it's not a Camry or Accord, I haven't owned it. If you want a car that's minimal maintenance (the BMW will not be), will last you to 250+ thousand miles (the Ford will not), and has been nothing but absolutely 10000% reliable to me, I'd go w/ either of those two.

As for your list if you're really stuck on it, I'd go w/ the Jetta. VW makes good cars and you can get them serviced at most places. I think Beemers require specific stores that do that. If the VW needs specific places also to get serviced, I suggest getting off the list and looking into what I said.

COchief
12-24-2010, 12:14 PM
As a car aficionado myself I can appreciate 'not boring', but generally that means 'a pain in the ass'. There's a reason there are so many boring Camrys and Accords out there.

Many many cars would beg to differ, if you're going to throw around "car aficionado" I would hope you know what you're talking about...

G35, TL type S, TSX, Altima SE-R, s2000, 350z, mazdaspeed 3 & 6, G8 gt, and a shit ton more would like to have a word with you sir.

Brock
12-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Many many cars would beg to differ, if you're going to throw around "car aficionado" I would hope you know what you're talking about...

G35, TL type S, TSX, Altima SE-R, s2000, 350z, mazdaspeed 3 & 6, G8 gt, and a shit ton more would like to have a word with you sir.

A bit out of the price range being bandied about, however.

pr_capone
12-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Not trying to add more to your list but if it's not a Camry or Accord, I haven't owned it. If you want a car that's minimal maintenance (the BMW will not be), will last you to 250+ thousand miles (the Ford will not), and has been nothing but absolutely 10000% reliable to me, I'd go w/ either of those two.

As for your list if you're really stuck on it, I'd go w/ the Jetta. VW makes good cars and you can get them serviced at most places. I think Beemers require specific stores that do that. If the VW needs specific places also to get serviced, I suggest getting off the list and looking into what I said.

I just got out of an Accord and had a CRX in my younger years. If a good deal presents itself I'm not gonna turn it down because it's a Honda but I'd like to try something different.

Craigslist had about eleventybillion different Accords & Civics. Nothing that was an outstanding deal like the one I had that was totaled tho.

COchief
12-24-2010, 12:17 PM

VWs of that generation are notorious for their epic level of shittiness, read the first page:

http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/jetta/2002/consumer-reviews.html

COchief
12-24-2010, 12:22 PM
A bit out of the price range being bandied about, however.

Of course, but fun doesn't come anywhere close to equaling shit. You just have to know what to look for, fun range for this $$ would be civic si, prelude, integra, mk2 MR2, 240, 300zx. Given all of these may require a lengthy search but they can be found, especially in Kansas.

Just don't like terms like aficionado being thrown around with an obvious lack of knowledge coming directly behind it. Unless fun to him starts at 300whp or something.

Pablo
12-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Drive to Denver and buy this one, one owner 120K stick with leather. Won't find anything nicer and faster than that for $6k. Should run to 200k with minimal maintenance. They also hold their value like you wouldn't believe I just sold a 2000 that I bought book for 7200 three years ago for 5900 after putting 30k on it.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=48822636&listingRecNum=8&criteria=prMx%3D7000%26sf1Dir%3DDESC%26prMn%3D0%26alMdId%3D21445%26mkId%3D20077%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId% 3D21445%26rd%3D75%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice%26zc%3D80228%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26alMkId%3D20077%26rpp%3D50%26fe edSegId%3D28705&aff=nationalThat's the car I should have bought 4 years ago instead of my Gay-lant. Fail on my part.

pr_capone
12-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Of course, but fun doesn't come anywhere close to equaling shit. You just have to know what to look for, fun range for this $$ would be civic si, prelude, integra, mk2 MR2, 240, 300zx. Given all of these may require a lengthy search but they can be found, especially in Kansas.

Just don't like terms like aficionado being thrown around with an obvious lack of knowledge coming directly behind it. Unless fun to him starts at 300whp or something.

You are in my head man. I've been looking at everything not honda you just mentioned along with a couple of Supras and 3000GT.

The 3KGTs though have all been massive disappointments.

Looking at a 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT. Any notions on those?

*edit for pic

http://images.craigslist.org/3nd3k33oa5V15O45Z2acl0e652afcff701d60.jpg

pr_capone
12-24-2010, 12:28 PM
That's the car I should have bought 4 years ago instead of my Gay-lant. Fail on my part.

My buddy had a mitsubishi galant. biggest piece of shit I ever rode in.

JTagg7754
12-24-2010, 12:30 PM
I just got out of an Accord and had a CRX in my younger years. If a good deal presents itself I'm not gonna turn it down because it's a Honda but I'd like to try something different.

Craigslist had about eleventybillion different Accords & Civics. Nothing that was an outstanding deal like the one I had that was totaled tho.

Well I can tell me you my father has been a Camry owner for almost 30 years. He's only had 3 of them. He gave one to me when I was first in college and I sold it (yes sold it although not for much haha) when it had 262k on it. Just some food for thought. He gave my bro his older one (the one after mine) and he still has it w/ 170k on it and it runs perfectly. Few minor malfunctions like a window motor needing replaced but nothing else unexpected.

I wouldn't do Craigslist either. The automobile people know this is economy is killing their business. You can bargain HARD. I got my latest car (an Accord) for significant discount after a 30 minute conversation w/ the guy. People on cragslist are negotiable for sure but that site just seems so damn sketchy to me. I'd rather go to a reputable dealer. That's just me though.

cdcox
12-24-2010, 12:31 PM

I always note the expiration date on the quart bottle and make sure I change it before then. Oh, wait...

JTagg7754
12-24-2010, 12:31 PM
If you're looking at any Toyota, you're looking at win.

pr_capone
12-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Well I can tell me you my father has been a Camry owner for almost 30 years. He's only had 3 of them. He gave one to me when I was first in college and I sold it (yes sold it although not for much haha) when it had 262k on it. Just some food for thought. He gave my bro his older one (the one after mine) and he still has it w/ 170k on it and it runs perfectly. Few minor malfunctions like a window motor needing replaced but nothing else unexpected.

I wouldn't do Craigslist either. The automobile people know this is economy is killing their business. You can bargain HARD. I got my latest car (an Accord) for significant discount after a 30 minute conversation w/ the guy. People on cragslist are negotiable for sure but that site just seems so damn sketchy to me. I'd rather go to a reputable dealer. That's just me though.

At least to me, Camry's are the epitome of boring. Supras and Celicas though are not.

Pablo
12-24-2010, 12:37 PM
My buddy had a mitsubishi galant. biggest piece of shit I ever rode in.Mine has been nothing but fucking garbage. Some of that is my own doing; most of it is not. I just stopped caring about the fucking thing.

JTagg7754
12-24-2010, 12:38 PM
At least to me, Camry's are the epitome of boring. Supras and Celicas though are not.

Right on man. Just a suggestion based off the cars you listed b/c while Camry's are "boring" so are the rest of the cars you listed so I figured that's what you were in the market for.

You're good w/ those choices either. I will never own anything that doesnt' have a Japanese name to it. I'm gonna go for a Maxima soon but my Honda's almost paid off so I'm gonna sit back and enjoy not having a car payment for a while. It's a good feeling

Buehler445
12-24-2010, 12:40 PM
I saw a G6 that was in the price range. Nice as cars as they are, I'm not sure I would trust a "modern" GM vehicle, especially that of a line that is now defunct.

I sincerely appreciate the input tho. It all helps.

GM isn't necessarily smart about what lines they kill. They brought out some kick-ass Oldsmobile designs that led sales for them right before they killed it. My G6 ran really well. GM sucked ass in the 70s. Now, IMO, they're all about the same quality in price range. A Pontiac might be the best value. I'm sure their price took a dive when they went defunt. So relative to other cars, you may get more car per dollar.

Remember you're the only one who has to be happy. Buy the one that you think is best.
Posted via Mobile Device

Delaney37
12-24-2010, 12:41 PM
[QUOTE=COchief;7285858]Lol at the guy suggesting a Chevy Monza.

LOL..can't hurt to throw it out there. I saw it and it reminded me of the 1975 2+2 I had in high school. It had the 262 V-8 in it. My dad and I had a lot of fun turning it into a drag car. Mini-tub kit on it running 10" slicks on a narrowed 12 bolt rearend with ladder bar suspension with a healthy tunnel rammed 383. Thing would run 10.60's all day long. Traded it for the 1973 Type LT Camaro I have now.

pr_capone
12-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Right on man. Just a suggestion based off the cars you listed b/c while Camry's are "boring" so are the rest of the cars you listed so I figured that's what you were in the market for.

You're good w/ those choices either. I will never own anything that doesnt' have a Japanese name to it. I'm gonna go for a Maxima soon but my Honda's almost paid off so I'm gonna sit back and enjoy not having a car payment for a while. It's a good feeling

The Focus SVT is far from boring. The BMW has the luxury bit going for it. The VW is borderline boring but I've always had a secret obsession with station wagons. lol

pr_capone
12-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Just wanted to put this out there... wanted to say thanks for the input from the board. I expected more Yugos, Cavaliers, and Festiva's posted with a request for help like mine.

LaChapelle
12-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Take a front wheel drive a spin in the snow

COchief
12-24-2010, 01:07 PM

*edit for pic

Don't know why you would want to get away from Honda, I have been through a lot of cars over the years and have an S2000 in the garage at the moment. Just sold an RSX Type S, IMO nothing for the $$ can match the feel and precision of a Honda.

3KGTs are interesting, but bloated slow pieces of shit. You could probably only afford a SL (ow) or a beat to shit VR-4 which would be a reliability nightmare. I would say avoid at all costs.

That gen of Eclipse is also regarded as a slow, bloated, pontiac feel type of car, nothing like the two previous generations. Also mainly woman owned.

I would go prelude, intergra, or celica in that range. My only rule is absolutely zero mods, even down to the factory stereo, but I'm extremely picky. I don't think you can beat it, or if you don't mind RWD a nice clean low mileage 300zx non-turbo would be a great car.

This looks like decent deal if its not riced:
http://badcreditautosales.v12soft.com/inventory/view/775421/1999-Honda-Prelude

I did a search on cars.com for manual for a few of the models, Jesus people are lazy these days, I feel like I'm one of the few people that like to row their own anymore.

After more searching, wow there is a shit ton of ricer douchebags in Wichita, and even gayer is they are all autos, at least the ricers in CO will pretty much only drive manual. I would plan on driving to a big city to get something if I were you, everything I found sucked balls with the exception of the prelude, but it looks like that dealer has had that for months so I would imagine there is an issue, but hey it would just be that no one can drive a stick. You live in car hell brother, I feel for you.

pr_capone
12-24-2010, 01:20 PM
I did a search on cars.com for manual for a few of the models, Jesus people are lazy these days, I feel like I'm one of the few people that like to row their own anymore.

Almost everything I find is automatic. Followed the link... I had seen that one before but did not see where the price was listed. Saw the $900 down, but no final price.

Bwana
12-24-2010, 01:20 PM
The Focus SVT is far from boring. The BMW has the luxury bit going for it. The VW is borderline boring but I've always had a secret obsession with station wagons. lol

You AND Clark W. Griswold. :eek:

http://stationwagonforums.com/forums/gallery/files/1/5/9/Bitmap_12.jpg

pr_capone
12-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Don't know why you would want to get away from Honda, I have been through a lot of cars over the years and have an S2000 in the garage at the moment. Just sold an RSX Type S, IMO nothing for the $$ can match the feel and precision of a Honda.

Its a been there done that thing. Just want to experience something different.

COchief
12-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Almost everything I find is automatic. Followed the link... I had seen that one before but did not see where the price was listed. Saw the $900 down, but no final price.

You got pretty slim pickins if you want manual, I would get on the horn. How long he's had that listed would scare me a bit. Book should be close to your range.

After a quick romp through CL and cars.com, I would strongly suggest putting that $6k in your pocket and heading to Denver/Chicago and finding what you want. Everything I found in your area was ridiculously shitty.

pr_capone
12-24-2010, 01:32 PM
You got pretty slim pickins if you want manual, I would get on the horn. How long he's had that listed would scare me a bit. Book should be close to your range.

After a quick romp through CL and cars.com, I would strongly suggest putting that $6k in your pocket and heading to Denver/Chicago and finding what you want. Everything I found in your area was ridiculously shitty.

LMFAO

That has been my problem as well.

Extra Point
12-24-2010, 01:47 PM
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/2122930584.html

pr_capone
12-24-2010, 01:50 PM
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/2122930584.html

Oh hell no. I refuse to drive another Chevy until they stop making shitty cars.

Thanks for looking tho!

Bearcat
12-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Oh hell no. I refuse to drive another Chevy until they stop making shitty cars.

Thanks for looking tho!

So, the Ford Focus....

johnny961
12-24-2010, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE=COchief;7285858]Lol at the guy suggesting a Chevy Monza.

LOL..can't hurt to throw it out there. I saw it and it reminded me of the 1975 2+2 I had in high school. It had the 262 V-8 in it. My dad and I had a lot of fun turning it into a drag car. Mini-tub kit on it running 10" slicks on a narrowed 12 bolt rearend with ladder bar suspension with a healthy tunnel rammed 383. Thing would run 10.60's all day long. Traded it for the 1973 Type LT Camaro I have now.

Right on! My first ride was one of these. But mine wasn't equipped with the V8 to begin with. That got added later. If I ran across the right deal on one of these with a decent body I wouldn't mind doing another one and swapping in another V8 at some point. Problem is finding an unmodified original that isn't rusted out or been badly wrecked for a decent price.

bobbything
12-24-2010, 01:58 PM
If you're concerned at all about reliability and cost of maintenance, I don't know why you'd consider trading in the Honda for an older model BMW.

The Jetta is probably going to give you problems at some point. When that happens, it's expensive to fix. Especially if they are electrical problems; which are very common in VW's.

I don't know anything about the Focus. My sister had one for a few years. I just asked her about it. She said it was pretty meh.

Really, I'd take a Honda with more miles vs. any of the above with fewer miles.

JTagg7754
12-24-2010, 02:00 PM
All American cars are shitty.

pr_capone
12-24-2010, 02:03 PM
If you're concerned at all about reliability and cost of maintenance, I don't know why you'd consider trading in the Honda for an older model BMW.

The Jetta is probably going to give you problems at some point. When that happens, it's expensive to fix. Especially if they are electrical problems; which are very common in VW's.

I don't know anything about the Focus. My sister had one for a few years. I just asked her about it. She said it was pretty meh.

Really, I'd take a Honda with more miles vs. any of the above with fewer miles.

I'm not trading in a Honda. It was tragically lost in a collision with a large decorative stone courtesy of my brother.

bobbything
12-24-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm not trading in a Honda. It was tragically lost in a collision with a large decorative stone courtesy of my brother.
I just meant "trading in" as in "getting rid of in favor of another car."

CrazyHorse
12-24-2010, 02:17 PM
I recommend you go drive them. Buy the one you like best. Any one of those cars can be a lemon or a diamond. When you find the one you like do a carfwx on it. Anyone can recommend a brand. But the only person that can tell you anything about the car You are testing is you and the person selling it. Buying one used car over another simply because of the brand is silly. Any car you drive can be a piece of crap.

I've heard good things about the focus but have no experience with them. IMO an eclipse is a girls car.

Good luck.

JASONSAUTO
12-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Every eclipse I have seen has been a piece of shit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Baconeater
12-24-2010, 02:44 PM

Shut the fuck up.

pr_capone
12-24-2010, 02:51 PM
eh?

2005 Mazda MAZDA3 150k miles

http://midwestsuperstore.com/Hutchinson-KS/For-Sale/Used/Mazda/MAZDA3/2005-i-Red-Car/5503994/

They said they would do $5,600 for the car.

Zebedee DuBois
12-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Every eclipse I have seen has been a piece of shit.
Posted via Mobile Device

It was cloudy here, too.

COchief
12-24-2010, 03:06 PM
eh?

2005 Mazda MAZDA3 150k miles

http://midwestsuperstore.com/Hutchinson-KS/For-Sale/Used/Mazda/MAZDA3/2005-i-Red-Car/5503994/

They said they would do $5,600 for the car.

Slightly sportier than a civic but not by much, not a bad car for the $ though. You seem like a car guy, I would make your Dbag brother drive you to Den/Chi and get what you want. I once settled on an older auto Maxima that "made sense", hated it every day and traded it for $2k less than I paid for it for an S2000 years ago just to get out of it. Never again will I settle for something like that.

pr_capone
12-24-2010, 03:17 PM
Slightly sportier than a civic but not by much, not a bad car for the $ though. You seem like a car guy, I would make your Dbag brother drive you to Den/Chi and get what you want. I once settled on an older auto Maxima that "made sense", hated it every day and traded it for $2k less than I paid for it for an S2000 years ago just to get out of it. Never again will I settle for something like that.

I won't go as far as saying my kid brother is a dbag... he is just young and made a mistake.

That said, having him drive me around to find the right car is not out of the realm of possibility. :D

COchief
12-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Shut the **** up.

Guess what you cowardly little douchebag, you don't know a fuggin thing about cars Mr aficionado. Why don't you defend yourself in public if you think you know anything about the subject instead of neg repping like the pussy that you are. It didn't count for shit anyways, because I got a bunch of positive rep from people who realized I knew wtf I was talking about instead of proclaiming myself an expert and following it up with: "durr that why only see camry or accord".

I hope you get the big bag of dicks you've been wanting for Christmas this year.

Bitch

COchief
12-24-2010, 03:20 PM
I won't go as far as saying my kid brother is a dbag... he is just young and made a mistake.

That said, having him drive me around to find the right car is not out of the realm of possibility. :D

Didn't mean to imply that, but sounds like he pulled a dbag move and owes you at least one big favor.

MIAdragon
12-24-2010, 03:34 PM
You are in my head man. I've been looking at everything not honda you just mentioned along with a couple of Supras and 3000GT.

*edit for pic

kinda a chick car.

Baconeater
12-24-2010, 03:36 PM
Guess what you cowardly little douchebag, you don't know a fuggin thing about cars Mr aficionado. Why don't you defend yourself in public if you think you know anything about the subject instead of neg repping like the pussy that you are. It didn't count for shit anyways, because I got a bunch of positive rep from people who realized I knew wtf I was talking about instead of proclaiming myself an expert and following it up with: "durr that why only see camry or accord".

I hope you get the big bag of dicks you've been wanting for Christmas this year.

Bitch
lol...I'm not really interested in getting into a pissing match with you seeing that I'm in the holiday spirit and all. And you're right, I don't know much about the rice burning penis extensions you're into, so you go boy. But don't think for a goddamn second I don't know what I'm talking about, I've probably been driving cars longer than your punk little ass has been alive, and I've probably owned more of them than years your miserable ass has existed on this planet.

Merry Christmas, bitch.

COchief
12-24-2010, 03:42 PM
lol...I'm not really interested in getting into a pissing match with you seeing that I'm in the holiday spirit and all. And you're right, I don't know much about the rice burning penis extensions you're into, so you go boy. But don't think for a goddamn second I don't know what I'm talking about, I've probably been driving cars longer than your punk little ass has been alive, and I've probably owned more of them than years your miserable ass has existed on this planet.

Merry Christmas, bitch.

Wow, someone manned up and admitted they didn't actually know what they were talking about, this has to be a CP first.

Seriously, have a Merry Christmas and well done sir. No sarcasm at all

Cheers

MIAdragon
12-24-2010, 03:42 PM
If you're into the sport compact scene how about the Neon SRT-4? I saw you were looking at Mustangs, love them you could find a nice 99-03 GT in the range you're looking for.

MIAdragon
12-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Wow, someone manned up and admitted they didn't actually know what they were talking about, this has to be a CP first.

Cheers

Dont be a dick.

pr_capone
12-24-2010, 03:43 PM
kinda a chick car.

thought so too... just throwing it out there.

MIAdragon
12-24-2010, 03:44 PM
thought so too... just throwing it out there.

love the first Gen AWD talons though.

Baconeater
12-24-2010, 04:04 PM

Cheers
Yep, you were right. Used performance type vehicles are extremely reliable and have almost always been very well cared for by responsible owners.

Extra Point
12-24-2010, 05:38 PM
All American cars are shitty.

Go buy yourself a hummer, not in all caps.

Fairplay
12-25-2010, 11:39 AM

1. reliable
2. not boring

The Ford Focus isn't a boring car? :rolleyes:

JASONSAUTO
12-25-2010, 11:47 AM
The Ford Focus isn't a boring car? :rolleyes:

Svt. Pretty peppy.
Posted via Mobile Device

pr_capone
12-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Svt. Pretty peppy.
Posted via Mobile Device

170BHP on a lightweight 4cy with a 6 speed manual trans.

hell yeah it peppy.

I keep doing searches for other cars but I keep coming back to the SVT.

If all goes well... I thin this is gonna be the winner. BONUS, its KC red. :D

pr_capone
09-21-2013, 08:41 PM
I bought the Focus SVT 5 days later. Not the one I started talking about in this thread but instead a blue one I found in Ft. Worth. I took a Greyhound bus to there and drove it back to Wichita. I loved this car.

Loved.

I sold it today. I was hoping to find a kid that wanted a cool little car that would fix her up and be his first car or some other "romantic" ending for my time with it. Alas... no one bit and I couldn't keep it in the driveway any longer.

Sold it today at Carmax and I am bummed out. I don't think I've ever been so attached to a car. lol

Fare thee well... I hope your next home is a good one.

ChiefButthurt
09-21-2013, 08:49 PM
I bought the Focus SVT 5 days later. Not the one I started talking about in this thread but instead a blue one I found in Ft. Worth. I took a Greyhound bus to there and drove it back to Wichita. I loved this car.

Loved.

I sold it today. I was hoping to find a kid that wanted a cool little car that would fix her up and be his first car or some other "romantic" ending for my time with it. Alas... no one bit and I couldn't keep it in the driveway any longer.

Sold it today at Carmax and I am bummed out. I don't think I've ever been so attached to a car. lol

Fare thee well... I hope your next home is a good one.

I hope you didn't cry.