PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Matt Cassel - Give him his roster bonus. Do it today!

Mr. Flopnuts
12-26-2010, 02:23 PM
So I nicknamed this guy Casshole very shortly after he showed up in K.C. I was pissed about the trade for him right out of the gate, and never thought he'd be the answer at QB for this franchise. I saw Elvis Grbac coming back from the dead, and honestly, didn't know if Matt could live up to Grbac type hype.

I was wrong. While Matt struggled when he first showed up here, he has improved dramatically. He no longer gets happy feet in the pocket. He knows how to read through his receivers now, and find the open man. He made a fantastic play today where he slid out to the left to give Moeaki time to get past his man and get open for a big first down play.

Give the credit to Charlie Weis, give it to Matt for busting his ass, give it to Scott Pioli for getting rid of Dick Curl, I don't know, and I don't care.

I never, ever thought I'd say this, but I'm ready to crown Matt Cassel. I am 100% behind him as the QB of the Kansas City Chiefs for the next decade. Pay him that roster bonus today.

Chiefs Rool
12-26-2010, 02:24 PM
yup, I'll take some crow. I deserve it as much as anybody else who constantly bashed Cassel. The guy is turning out to be a damn good QB for us, he plays with heart.

Baconeater
12-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Let's wait to see if he can get us to the playoffs and win a game. (ducking)

Fritz88
12-26-2010, 02:25 PM

This. :p

JASONSAUTO
Props to cassel
Posted via Mobile Device

rrl308
I agree. It took me awhile also, but he has won me over. He has made huge strides from the beginning of the season until now. He's a gamer and I to am behind him 100%.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-26-2010, 02:26 PM

This. :p

Heh, nope. I've seen enough. He's a franchise QB. I wish he had a bit more of an arm, and better accuracy, but he's got tons of heart, makes smart decisions, and is a team leader. Matt for team captain!

Marcellus
12-26-2010, 02:26 PM
I was an initial supporter then 3 or 4 games in I thought we were screwed and he was hopeless.

Glad he is working out because it is the best thing for the Chiefs. We can worry about other areas like a pass rusher and a NT next year.

Oh yea and another receiver and RT.

Reaper16
12-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Yeah, I'm not crowning him yet. Which isn't to say that I don't see the kind of QB he's been lately. Let's see him under playoff pressure, though.

Red Brooklyn
12-26-2010, 02:28 PM
I don't even need him to win us a playoff game. I just want to see how he plays. If can play as well in the post season as he has these last few weeks, and not LOSE us the game. I'll absolutely eat a little crow.

The guy has really shown what he's made of. I'm proud of him. Now, I want to see him under the bright, bright lights.

Reaper16
I don't even need him to win us a playoff game. I just want to see how he plays. If can play as well in the post season as he has these last few weeks, and not LOSE us the game. I'll absolutely eat a little crow.

The guy has really shown what he's made up. I'm proud of him. Now, I want to see him under the bright, bright lights.
Sure.

doomy3
Matt Cassel is the heart and soul of this team. No one can question his leadership.

Kyle DeLexus
I'm with you brother. Turns out he could very well be the answer and I'm ready to go into next year with Matt Cassel as our team leader. Spend that 1st rounder on a Pass rusher/WR/NT/C and continue to fill the holes so we can make a(nother) playoff run next year!

crazychiefsfan
12-26-2010, 02:29 PM
So I nicknamed this guy Casshole very shortly after he showed up in K.C. I was pissed about the trade for him right out of the gate, and never thought he'd be the answer at QB for this franchise. I saw Elvis Grbac coming back from the dead, and honestly, didn't know if Matt could live up to Grbac type hype.

I was wrong. While Matt struggled when he first showed up here, he has improved dramatically. He no longer gets happy feet in the pocket. He knows how to read through his receivers now, and find the open man. He made a fantastic play today where he slid out to the left to give Moeaki time to get past his man and get open for a big first down play.

Give the credit to Charlie Weis, give it to Matt for busting his ass, give it to Scott Pioli for getting rid of Dick Curl, I don't know, and I don't care.

I never, ever thought I'd say this, but I'm ready to crown Matt Cassel. I am 100% behind him as the QB of the Kansas City Chiefs for the next decade. Pay him that roster bonus today.

THIS!!!

The Bad Guy
Yeah, I'm not crowning him yet. Which isn't to say that I don't see the kind of QB he's been lately. Let's see him under playoff pressure, though.

So if he sucks at that this year, we'll get to endure another off-season of whining bullshit?

Lovely.

KCrockaholic
I was an initial supporter then 3 or 4 games in I thought we were screwed and he was hopeless.

Same here....I bought his jersey last year before he even played for us, and I was a big supporter of him...

As the season went on, I wasn't happy with him, and this year at the beginning I hated him. Somewhere around week 8 he completely changed....In fact, it was the Denver blowout. He became a different quarterback.

Count Zarth
12-26-2010, 02:31 PM
give him money give him women give him anal

Reaper16
12-26-2010, 02:35 PM
So if he sucks at that this year, we'll get to endure another off-season of whining bullshit?

Lovely.
He's earned his job. I'm not ready to commit to him for the next decade like Floppy is, that's all. If he flat-out loses the playoff game for the team, then it's going to sour things, sure. BUT he's shown these past few weeks that he's capable of being the man, which is something that couldn't be effectively argued for during last season.

All of which is to say: if Cassel sucks shit in the playoffs, I'll be disappointed but I won't be calling for his head.

okiedokieokoye
12-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Cassel needs more carries.

milkman
12-26-2010, 02:45 PM
I said his before.

I watched all but one of the NFL Network replays of the '08 Patriot games, and saw about 4 games during the season.

All told, I saw about 10 games.

Combine that with the Chiefs games last year, and I saw about 26 of his 32 games coming into this season.

I saw a guy who had been working in a pro set since his first day as a USC Trojan, who had no grasp whatsoever of the mechanics of teh position.

I did not believe that he would be able to, at this stage of his career, learn the proper mechanics.

And through much of this season, it appeared I was right.

But something clicked when he had to air it out against Denver.

Since that game, his mechanics have been outstanding, and a side benefit of that is that he has has time to set up in the pocket, he's actually made reads.

I'm buying in, because he now looks like an NFL QB, and it appears that the team when he showed up to play last week is buying into him.

You want a QB that can lead his team to wins in the playoffs, you need a QB that the team believes in.

Valiant
12-26-2010, 02:45 PM
He has had huuge strides this year from his first.. I will wait til next season to decide..

jjchieffan
12-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Even if he chokes in his first playoff start, that shouldn't sour anyone. The great Peyton Manning choked away a few before winning it all.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Cassel makes the fire burn for four quarters with these guys. What he brings in leadership more than offsets the fact that he's not Montana or whomever your favorite QB is.

I really hope he continues to grow and execute at his current pace, and I know that he will absolutely work his ass off to try and get there.

Reaper16
12-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Even if he chokes in his first playoff start, that shouldn't sour anyone. The great Peyton Manning choked away a few before winning it all.
As good as Cassel has been lately, Cassel's not Peyton fucking Manning, though. They're good in different ways.

Valiant
12-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Cassel makes the fire burn for four quarters with these guys. What he brings in leadership more than offsets the fact that he's not Montana or whomever your favorite QB is.

I really hope he continues to grow and execute at his current pace, and I know that he will absolutely work his ass off to try and get there.

I would love him to lead the team to a superbowl victory.. I don't think anyone would..

Ebolapox
12-26-2010, 02:54 PM
he has me ready to eat crow.

Pitt Gorilla
12-26-2010, 02:59 PM
I said his before.

I watched all but one of the NFL Network replays of the '08 Patriot games, and saw about 4 games during the season.

All told, I saw about 10 games.

Combine that with the Chiefs games last year, and I saw about 26 of his 32 games coming into this season.

I saw a guy who had been working in a pro set since his first day as a USC Trojan, who had no grasp whatsoever of the mechanics of teh position.

I did not believe that he would be able to, at this stage of his career, learn the proper mechanics.

And through much of this season, it appeared I was right.

But something clicked when he had to air it out against Denver.

Since that game, his mechanics have been outstanding, and a side benefit of that is that he has has time to set up in the pocket, he's actually made reads.

I'm buying in, because he now looks like an NFL QB, and it appears that the team when he showed up to play last week is buying into him.

You want a QB that can lead his team to wins in the playoffs, you need a QB that the team believes in.Yeah, his mechanics changed during that game. :spock:

KCFTW
12-26-2010, 03:01 PM
He is a solid QB, and he plays with intensity. He doesn't have a whole lot to work with outside of Bowe too, so I think we have to give him a lot of credit.

Pitt Gorilla
12-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Man, I wish we had picked up Denario.

milkman
12-26-2010, 03:06 PM
Yeah, his mechanics changed during that game. :spock:

I don't really care if you dismiss it.

doomy3
12-26-2010, 03:09 PM
If we can end up with another stud wideout this offseason and can play McCluster in the slot, our offense could be unbelievable next year.

Pitt Gorilla
12-26-2010, 03:11 PM
I don't really care if you dismiss it.Confidence, sure. Mechanics?

Reaper16
12-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Confidence, sure. Mechanics?
How else would zip, touch, and accuracy all improve at the same time?

milkman
12-26-2010, 03:15 PM

Yes, mechanics.

His footwork in dropbacks was choppy.

He wasn't setting his feet on his throws.

His feet in these last two games have been fluid and quick, and he's setting his feet and making sharp, crisp, more accurate throws.

Marcellus
12-26-2010, 03:16 PM

He has improved in his mechanics, his pocket awareness is much better as well.

Exactly when? Probably not at one single point as some say during the Denver game. Probably been a work in progress up until then and he was just allowed to open it up since they were behind and that built the confidence you speak of.

It's both.

KcMizzou
12-26-2010, 03:17 PM
PriscoCBS Pete Prisco
I have to say I was wrong about Matt Cassel, I admit it

Pitt Gorilla
12-26-2010, 03:21 PM
He has improved in his mechanics, his pocket awareness is much better as well.

Exactly when? Probably not at one single point as some say during the Denver game. Probably been a work in progress up until then and he was just allowed to open it up since they were behind and that built the confidence you speak of.

It's both.I could see that, although I'd associate it with becoming more comfortable in the pocket. More confidence in his line, his receivers, and his own play has allowed him to do what he wants to do.

milkman
12-26-2010, 03:25 PM
I could see that, although I'd associate it with becoming more comfortable in the pocket. More confidence in his line, his receivers, and his own play has allowed him to do what he wants to do.

All that is part of it, but it starts with his drops.

And Haley actually talked ablout just that after the game against the Seahawks, comparing his sudden improvement to Brees.

I hesitate to draw this comparison, but I see more of a Terry Bradshaw type drop.

Marcellus
12-26-2010, 03:27 PM
All that is part of it, but it starts with his drops.

And Haley actually talked ablout just that after the game against the Seahawks, comparing his sudden improvement to Brees.

I hesitate to draw this comparison, but I see more of a Terry Bradshaw type drop.

It was mentioned they (KC) started using video of Brees coaching Cassel and trying to get Cassel to be quick in his drop and set like Brees.

the Talking Can
12-26-2010, 09:47 PM
the second td pass to charles

he was looking in the middle, checked off, saw Charles running basically parallel to the line of scrimmage with a defender glued to him...Cassel tosses it over both to the end zone with forced Charles to break up field just a bit and the pass is perfectly out of reach of the now trailing defender....

he threw where Charles would have to be, before it was clear to Charles he would have to go there...

yeah, if he's making plays like that he can bend me over with a jack hammer

you would have never, ever, convinced me he was capable of making that play........ever......never

ChiefsCountry
12-26-2010, 09:52 PM

Lovely.

If he pulls a Bono or Grbac type playoff game, he should be. But if he plays like he has been, there will be no need.

OnTheWarpath58
12-26-2010, 09:53 PM

he was looking in the middle, checked off, saw Charles running basically parallel to the line of scrimmage with a defender glued to him...Cassel tosses it over both to the end zone with forced Charles to break up field just a bit and the pass is perfectly out of reach of the now trailing defender....

he threw where Charles would have to be, before it was clear to Charles he would have to go there...

you would have never, ever, convinced me he was capable of making that play........ever......never

I hardly ever post in the game thread, but after that play, I had to get in and give him some props.

One of, if not the best all-around play he's made in a KC uniform.

Pablo
12-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Give him the roster bonus.

And give him Brodie's wife. He's earned it.

ChiefsCountry

Exactly. That was an amazing play by Cassel.

OnTheWarpath58
Give him the roster bonus.

And give him Brodie's wife. He's earned it.

LMAO

stevieray
12-26-2010, 09:55 PM

...he had great touch on the ball today..that TD pass to Bowe was just beauty.

Bowser
12-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Milkman has a point. Early in the season, he had a terrible case of happy feet, even if he had a good 5+ seconds to throw. That Denver game DID settle him down somehow; made something click. Ever since then, he's been lights out. Damndest thing ever.

the Talking Can
12-26-2010, 10:10 PM
...he had great touch on the ball today..that TD pass to Bowe was just beauty.

he destroyed them in the first half...routinely checking through reads and putting the ball in tight spots...

again, all i can say is that i thought it was impossible for him to play that way....

the first half was beautiful to watch, putting a beat down on those cheap shot-ing muther fuckers

our coaches kicked their coaches asses

crossbow
12-26-2010, 11:10 PM
The Denver game forced the Chiefs into a shootout and Wyse had to turn him loose. That set him up for the monster Seattle game. He took advantage and showed his old coach what he could do if given a chance. From here on out I think he is just going to push himself to his own limits. Success breeds success and he is getting about as good a QB as anyone. This transformation is an amazing thing to witness. He is on a mission and proving to everyone that this is his team and he is going to win here. Truly, I have never seen anything like this. Where a person advanced so fast and in the midst of so much negative hate. He has an iron will. You can't get any tougher then this. Even if he doesn't throw for 500 yards in the Super bowl you have to admire his grit and determination.

After its all said and done, we may look back on the Denver game as the turning point for his entire career and the Chiefs fortunes.