PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Charles penalty

cmh6476
12-27-2010, 10:04 AM
this may have been discussed and I just didn't catch it, but just saw this article posted on yahoo:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Video-Chiefs-get-penalized-for-overdoing-the-La?urn=nfl-300605

Sun Dec 26 08:31pm EST

Video: Chiefs get penalized for overdoing the Lambeau Leap
By Doug Farrar
The Lambeau Leap, the well-known touchdown celebration started by the Green Bay Packers in the 1990s, is one of the more endearing in the game. Who doesn't like the sight of a player jumping into the stands of his home stadium and bonding with the fans after a score? Though the NFL has curbed most touchdown celebrations, the Leap maintains its approved status, though there are conditions. One primary condition is that the league doesn't want group celebrations, scripted or otherwise.

[Rewind video: NFL player penalized for backwards somersault celebration]

In a 34-14 beatdown of the Tennessee Titans that put them on the verge of an AFC West title (which they won after the Cincinnati Bengals beat the San Diego Chargers), Kansas City Chiefs star running back Jamaal Charles(notes) found this out the hard way. When receiver Dwayne Bowe(notes) scored on a 75-yard touchdown catch in the second quarter, Bowe went into the stands at Arrowhead Stadium. Charles went in there as well, which was not okay with the NFL.

Well, now we know. Charles got an unsportsmanlike conduct call for jumping into the stands (apparently, the officiating crew didn't see quarterback Matt Cassel(notes) do the same), which led to the entertaining ruling that "only one man is permitted to jump into the stands."

[Videos: Most over-the-top touchdown celebrations]

It didn't matter in the end - the penalty yardage was assessed on the following kickoff and the Titans had no comeback in them - but I'd love to hear from the NFL on this one. Is this the kind of thing teams are briefed on, or does it just sort of naturally fall under the league's feelings about group celebrations? Let that be a lesson to you, rogue celebrators - wait until your teammate is out of the crowd before taking your turn!

being at the game I had no idea why he was flagged. seems rather lame

BigMeatballDave
12-27-2010, 10:06 AM
No
Fun
League

Rasputin
12-27-2010, 10:09 AM
Was sure Matt Cassel did the leap as well.iirc. That was so fucking cool

LocoChiefsFan
12-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Charles was quotes as saying he didn't even know anything about the rule.

Frazod
12-27-2010, 10:15 AM
I knew it would draw a flag when I saw it, but who cares? It's not like the game was close or anything.

Very cool.

Blankey
12-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Man, that announcer call during the Bowe TD was pretty lame

GloryDayz
12-27-2010, 10:22 AM
LOL, if it's going to be 15 either way, except for Todd (Bad leg), the whole team ought to jump into the stands!

Demonpenz
12-27-2010, 10:47 AM
We had a call like that go for us earlier in the year, and whoever it was that was playing the chiefs couldn't even get his fast ass into the stands.

Mi_chief_fan
12-27-2010, 11:06 AM
I knew it would draw a flag when I saw it, but who cares? It's not like the game was close or anything.

Very cool.

Absofreakinglutely!

Rain Man
12-27-2010, 11:10 AM
LOL, if it's going to be 15 either way, except for Todd (Bad leg), the whole team ought to jump into the stands!

That'd be an awesome thing to do if you scored late in a winning playoff game.

I didn't see Charles go into the stands, but I saw Cassel do it and thought, "Uh oh, that's a penalty", and sure enough the flag flew a second or two later.

Mama Hip Rockets
12-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Awesome penalty.