PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Weiss to the Gators in 2011 (confirmed)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

CaliforniaChief
12-31-2010, 01:10 PM
Whitlock and Weis meeting right now to discuss #HomeTownBuffetBusBoy

Detoxing
12-31-2010, 01:11 PM
I actually think Haley and McDouche are better matches. Both run the Weis offense, both like to run the offense a similar way play calling wise. Maybe thats the problem. Haley obviously loves takings risks, and that will fit McDaniels airing it out and a little trickery. I wouldn't be shocked at all if the problem between Weis and Haley is going for it on fourth and Weis wanting to run more and play more of a Herm style.

I think Weis helps our defense with his way, but I think our offense gets better with McDaniels.

If we lost Weis and gained McDouche, I'd be ecstatic. I think McDouche is one of the brightest offensive minds in the NFL.

What he did with Orton and Lloyd was remarkable.

Weis was a bit dissappointing is his playcalling.

My fear is that we are left with neither and have someone like Mo Carthon running the show.

Reaper16
12-31-2010, 01:11 PM
The only thing I'm concerned about is how much of Cassel's recent successes can be attributed to Weis, and can Cassel continue to improve without Weis.

ChiefsandO'sfan
12-31-2010, 01:12 PM
The only thing I'm concerned about is how much of Cassel's recent successes can be attributed to Weis, and can Cassel continue to improve without Weis.

DUDE LOOK WHAT MCDUMMY did for cassel as a pat

Pawnmower
I doubt Weiss leaves unless there isn't a 2011 season. If Weiss does leave, I would guess there will be a disrupted 2011 season in the NFL.

Sure-Oz
Mcdaniels did well for Cassel

The God Hypothesis
12-31-2010, 01:13 PM
Whitlock and Weis meeting right now to discuss #HomeTownBuffetBusBoy

If I owned an all u can eat location and those 2 were seen walking towards my front door, I'd lock the place down and bar the doors. Frightening visual...

ceebz
lol

King_Chief_Fan
But the one thing I feel confident in saying is, he won't be back in Kansas City next season.

ADAM wouldn't say that if this thing didn't have legs

Adam didn't say it.....he said his buddy Mort said it

Detoxing

That's my main concern as well. But he'll only continue to grow if McDouche is brought in. And we don't have to worry about McDouche taking a HC job any time soon.

Sure-Oz
The gainesville sun reporter is on 610 now

Mr. Laz
12-31-2010, 01:14 PM
I really don't see Josh McDaniels as a fit. He's got just as big an ego as Weis, so any issues that happened with Haley/Weis are likely to happen between Haley/McDaniels. McDaniels is also a guy who ran off Cutler and Nolan, so combine that with Haley's personality and I don't see any way that works...
so who the hell can we get to deal with our asshole Head coach?

If weis leaves i wouldn't be surprised to see Haley go back to handling the offense since he seems to think he's the only guy who can run an offense.

i need to just forget about this ... it hasn't happened and still is a long shot to happen.

I will be so pissed.

Von Dumbass
Check the sig. His ass is gone. I didn't let him off the hook.

Boss Chief has my sig for an undetermined amount of time so I don't have to go anywhere.

Mr. Arrowhead
Maybe when McDaniels became available, maybe Todd told charlie, that he should start looking for another job lol

CaliforniaChief
12-31-2010, 01:15 PM
So McDaniels could be partially paid by the Broncos to coach the QB who ultimately caused the implosion of their franchise...on a division rival?

Tasty.

Tactical Funky
so who they hell can we get to deal with our asshole Head coach?

If weis leaves i wouldn't be surprised to see Haley go back to handling the offense since he seems to think he's the only guy who can run an offense.

i need to just forget about this ... it hasn't happened and still is a long shot to happen.

I will be so pissed.

Dude, chill. Trust in Haley.

Sure-Oz
The Sun guys saying the chiefs may want Mcdaniels to work with Cassel and Weiss and Haley may not get along. Say's it doesn't make sense for him to go there, esp with recruiting starting tuesday and possibly may want to be a college HC.

Sure-Oz
12-31-2010, 01:16 PM
Pat Dooley said nothing will be official until after Urbans last game is over..(gut is monday)

DaWolf
12-31-2010, 01:16 PM
Teicher (http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1625) (found the quote in bold interesting for the use of words by Haley, he must really hate the Raiders):

Haley “unaware’’ if Weis is a candidate at Florida

Chiefs coach Todd Haley said he was unaware if Charlie Weis was a candidate to become the offensive coordinator at the University of Florida. Media reports in Florida suggest Weis, the Chiefs offensive coordinator, may be leaving after one season with the Chiefs.

''It would be news to me,'' Haley said. ''I have no idea. That’s not something I would talk about right now. Our focus is on the Oakland Raiders. At a later date, if something comes up, I surely will talk about it.

''I’m unaware of anything. Charlie was out there coaching today and we’re getting ready to beat the Oakland Raiders.''

Haley hired Weis last winter shortly after the end of the season. Haley served as offensive coordinator as well as head coach last season but approached Weis shortly after he had been fired after five seasons as head coach at Notre Dame.

Haley and Weis once coached on the same staff with the New York Jets.

KCrockaholic
12-31-2010, 01:18 PM
Boss Chief has my sig for an undetermined amount of time so I don't have to go anywhere.

You're just a bitch for not owning up to your word.

Sure-Oz
12-31-2010, 01:18 PM
It sounds like they do not get along one bit...there is a video of haley screaming into his headset...(likely weiss)

Sure-Oz
12-31-2010, 01:20 PM
610 sports running with 'charlies leaving town'

Reaper16
12-31-2010, 01:22 PM
DUDE LOOK WHAT MCDUMMY did for cassel as a pat
Cassel sucked as a Pat. McDaniels was partly responsible for taking Brady to an even higher level, though.

RustShack
12-31-2010, 01:22 PM
I really don't see Josh McDaniels as a fit. He's got just as big an ego as Weis, so any issues that happened with Haley/Weis are likely to happen between Haley/McDaniels. McDaniels is also a guy who ran off Cutler and Nolan, so combine that with Haley's personality and I don't see any way that works...

Completely different. McDaniels would come here and run an offense already in place. He went to Denver wanting to change the offense(to the one we run), and Cutler wanted Shanny. The real problem was McDaniels wanted Cassel over Cutler, and obviously that wont be a problem here.

chief52
12-31-2010, 01:23 PM
It sounds like they do not get along one bit...there is a video of haley screaming into his headset...(likely weiss)

That happens on every side line in the NFL every week. Indicates nothing.

mnchiefsguy
If you are Scott Pioli, why would you give Florida permission to even talk to Weiss....Pioli is all business, so it seems to me he would tell Florida to shove it till the Chiefs season is over. Hopefully this does not become like the Paul Hackett situation when he was more focused on being coach at USC than he was on winning a playoff game.

JASONSAUTO
Was haley actually arguing with weis when cassel was following him around on the sideline?
Posted via Mobile Device

DaWolf
12-31-2010, 01:24 PM
so who the hell can we get to deal with our asshole Head coach?

I will be so pissed.

I think there are people who can work with Haley, I just think it has to be the right personality. People were questioning how Haley/Weis would work together the day that he was hired, so this isn't a shock.

McDaniels would be a superb OC and QB coach, and he would fit in quite well under someone like Dick Vermeil in all likelihood. I just don't see any way he would fit in under Haley, especially when Haley went through the process of publicly shunning him and essentially telling McD that he had no respect for him.

I would not be shocked to see Haley want to again control the offense more closely and therefore put some guy in charge as a name-only coordinator while he did the playcalling, and hand over QB coaching duties to Sirriani full time...

KCtotheSB
12-31-2010, 01:24 PM
Can't say I'm surprised to hear this. I figured Weis and Crennel would be hot commodities again following this turnaround season.

RINGLEADER
12-31-2010, 01:25 PM
Well if there isn't a denial today I'd presume it is true.

Best I could guess would be that Weis doesn't like reporting to Haley and probably likes the college game more/prefers a shorter schedule.

Though I'm not sure why the Chiefs wouldn't have made sure he was on board for at least a couple seasons.

RustShack
12-31-2010, 01:26 PM
Next years offense under McDaniels could give the Vermiel/Saunders era a run for its money if the line plays a little better. A new and improved Cassel and Bowe to go with Fitz, Moeaki, McCluster, and likely a Denver or Pat castoff that McDaniels had this year with Charles and Castile isn't terrible out of the backfield when given a chance.

RustShack
12-31-2010, 01:27 PM
Weis can leave, after we win the SB this year.

Mr. Laz
12-31-2010, 01:28 PM
I think there are people who can work with Haley, I just think it has to be the right personality. People were questioning how Haley/Weis would work together the day that he was hired, so this isn't a shock.

McDaniels would be a superb OC and QB coach, and he would fit in quite well under someone like Dick Vermeil in all likelihood. I just don't see any way he would fit in under Haley, especially when Haley went through the process of publicly shunning him and essentially telling McD that he had no respect for him.

I would not be shocked to see Haley want to again control the offense more closely and therefore put some guy in charge as a name-only coordinator while he did the playcalling, and hand over QB coaching duties to Sirriani full time...offensive coordinator for your 2011 kansas city chiefs .......... Mo Carthon

another foot-shuffling porter FTW!!!!

DaWolf
12-31-2010, 01:31 PM
Via Nick Wright:

Regards to "Hey, Haley hates McDaniels!" Maybe, but ultimately irrelevant. Pioli clearly picks the OC & DC, and Haley has to make it work. 10 minutes ago via twidroyd

JD10367
12-31-2010, 01:32 PM
Dude, chill. Trust in Haley.

This. The "asshole head coach" has them at 10-5 with an AFCW title in only 2 years.

As a fan of a team with an "asshole head coach", I can tell you that winning cures all ills. You don't have to be Mister Sunshine; you have to get your players to buy into your ways and believe that listening to you will lead to winning Super Bowls.

Although I admit it's creepy when he smiles, because he's always so evil. Then again, if Haley is holding three of these for KC...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_3BaJMgGKAmE/SwbI5MvFPJI/AAAAAAAAMd8/xA0vw1eh_Mg/s1600/bill+belichick+8x10.JPG

Mr. Laz
12-31-2010, 01:32 PM
Via Nick Wright:Regards to "Hey, Haley hates McDaniels!" Maybe, but ultimately irrelevant. Pioli clearly picks the OC & DC, and Haley has to make it work. 10 minutes ago via twidroyd
what part of these first 2 years indicates that Haley can "make it work"?

at least when it comes to running the offense.

we've already gone through 2 quality OC (if weis does leave)

Extra Point
12-31-2010, 01:34 PM
The only question remains:

Does Hootie have enough reps in Madden to qualify?

Short Leash Hootie
12-31-2010, 01:35 PM
Cassel sucked as a Pat.

Now this is a fucking joke...but it's a funny one...

I'm glad you're regurgitating Milkman fact, though...

like you watched all of those games.

you'll always be the leach that we all know you are

kcpasco
12-31-2010, 01:36 PM
So does he leave before or after the Chiefs season ends?

RustShack
12-31-2010, 01:37 PM
Via Nick Wright:

Obviously wrong. Pioli didn't choose Gailey, Hunt did. They didn't seem to have a problem with letting him go after Haley said it wouldn't work. Haley also worked with Weis and Crennel BEFORE Pioli ever did. Those two are Parcells guys just like Haley. It just happened to work very well because they both also worked for Bellichick WITH Pioli, and Pioli is Parcells son in law.

RustShack
12-31-2010, 01:37 PM
So does he leave before or after the Chiefs season ends?

ROFL

Is this a seriously question? It wouldn't be until after.

The God Hypothesis
12-31-2010, 01:38 PM

We don't even know if/why Weiss is leaving. I think we need to give Haley the benefit of the doubt at least until we are enlightened with some evidence that actually pins him as am impossible person to work with/for.

kcpasco
12-31-2010, 01:39 PM
ROFL

Is this a seriously question? It wouldn't be until after.

Well if he's on Florida's payroll I wold expect that they would want him to start working for them.

RustShack
12-31-2010, 01:40 PM
Well if he's on Florida's payroll I wold expect that they would want him to start working for them.

He not, and wouldn't be hired until after the season.

Detoxing
12-31-2010, 01:40 PM
We don't even know if/why Weiss is leaving. I think we need to give Haley the benefit of the doubt at least until we are enlightened with some evidence that actually pins him as am impossible person to work with/for.

Well he sure as hell isn't leaving for a more prestigious job....

The Bad Guy
12-31-2010, 01:42 PM

The fact that despite all that this team is ascending, improving and completely buying into his message.

As a conspiracy theorist, you suck.

blaise
12-31-2010, 01:42 PM
It's nice and flat there so he can waddle around with ease.

JASONSAUTO
12-31-2010, 01:43 PM
Not sure milkman has said he sucked as a pat. We talked about him quite a bit while watching those games.Now this is a fucking joke...but it's a funny one...

Posted via Mobile Device

The Bad Guy
12-31-2010, 01:43 PM
Well if there isn't a denial today I'd presume it is true.

Best I could guess would be that Weis doesn't like reporting to Haley and probably likes the college game more/prefers a shorter schedule.

Though I'm not sure why the Chiefs wouldn't have made sure he was on board for at least a couple seasons.

He signed a multi-year deal. He said he was on board for the process when hired.

I think it comes down to Charlie wants to run his offense with no interference from a HC.

Reaper16
12-31-2010, 01:44 PM
Now this is a fucking joke...but it's a funny one...

Been saying it since well before Cassel was even traded for. But whatever, I don't even own a TV. I just go over to Hamas and Milkman's houses to leach off theirs.

Brock
12-31-2010, 01:44 PM
Hey Nick, you said the team was losing Jamaal Charles in week 2.

Just Passin' By
12-31-2010, 01:45 PM
I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of the situation, but some of the reports are talking about personality issues. Weis is loud and bellicose, and Haley can be a hothead, too. It may just be a case where two similar personalities are better off as friends than as co-workers, especially with the younger man being above the older man in the power structure.

Short Leash Hootie
12-31-2010, 01:47 PM
Been saying it since well before Cassel was even traded for. But whatever, I don't even own a TV. I just go over to Hamas and Milkman's houses to leach off theirs.

Figured.

Cassel sucked for the first handful of games as a Pat...

but when it started to matter and when the stretch run started...he blossomed...and started making all sorts of plays...

Dude is resilient and he is a gamer...was doing that with the Pats in 07...

but you're right...400 yard games back to back were just against prevent defenses and didn't really mean anything...

winning 5 in a row (I think) to win 11 and make a playoff push had nothing to do with the play of the QB...

you guys all want to say Cassel took over an undefeated team and regressed them to an 11 win team...

well what did Brady do to the Cassel led team the next year? Regressed them further?

It's bullshit.

What Cassel did in 2008 was nothing short of amazing...and that's why we have Pioli's Zombie and Just Passin' By here at all times sucking Cassel's metaphorical penis because of how he won over those fans in 08...(just like he's doing once again here in KC)

The Bad Guy
Mcdaniels did well for Cassel

He did, despite what some think on here.

Throwing a guy on the verge of getting cut in the preseason out there after the first quarter of game 1, and putting up respectable numbers is a difficult task for an OC.

I wouldn't mind McDaniels here and wouldn't be shocked to hear he's already been talked to.

'Hamas' Jenkins
Think about it:

You're a 60 year old man in bad health.

You can either work in an incredibly pressure packed situation against the best of the best where you are playing against people with similar talent every week

Or

You can work in a system where you will have a definitive talent advantage in 80-90% of the games that you play against D-Co's who can't put in sophisticated schemes, or rely on their secondary to play advanced and exotic coverages and this job pays the same money.

College jobs of equivalent pay are far superior to NFL jobs.

KC_Connection
Just throwing shit out here: I wonder if the weird Cassel benching (which hasn't gotten much run around here, oddly) is a window into a bit of discord concerning how the offense is run and the playcalling?
Cassel was actually pissed when that happened and went right after Haley (who ignored him). It was pretty weird.

Fritz88
12-31-2010, 01:48 PM
Weis made something out of Cassel. It'd be a shame if he left.

kcpasco
12-31-2010, 01:49 PM
I guess McDaniels will get the QB he really wanted after all

Epic Fail 007
12-31-2010, 01:50 PM
I would welcome this.Charlies play calling sucks.Also I would say Josh did get the best from Matt.Although I really cannot see Todd hiring Josh,I truely think they would knock each other out,lmao!

Brock
Think about it:

You can either work in an incredibly pressure packed situation against the best of the best where you are playing against people with similar talent every week

Or

You can work in a system where you will have a definitive talent advantage in 80-90% of the games that you play against D-Co's who can't put in sophisticated schemes, or rely on their secondary to play advanced and exotic coverages and this job pays the same money.

Absolutely right.

Short Leash Hootie
Think about it:

Or

Weis doesn't need a payday...or an easy job...

most coaches do it for the competition...

so this is flawed logic

Reaper16
Figured.

Cassel sucked for the first handful of games as a Pat...

but when it started to matter and when the stretch run started...he blossomed...and started making all sorts of plays...

Dude is resilient and he is a gamer...was doing that with the Pats in 07...

but you're right...400 yard games back to back were just against prevent defenses and didn't really mean anything...

winning 5 in a row (I think) to win 11 and make a playoff push had nothing to do with the play of the QB...

you guys all want to say Cassel took over an undefeated team and regressed them to an 11 win team...

well what did Brady do to the Cassel led team the next year? Regressed them further?

It's bullshit.

What Cassel did in 2008 was nothing short of amazing...and that's why we have Pioli's Zombie and Just Passin' By here at all times sucking Cassel's metaphorical penis because of how he won over those fans in 08...(just like he's doing once again here in KC)
If Cassel looked even a bit over in NE like he looks since the Denver game with KC this season, then I'd have been a supporter from Day One.

blaise
12-31-2010, 01:51 PM
The State of Florida has promised they'll put one of those "Manatee Crossing" signs in front of his house.

Brock
12-31-2010, 01:51 PM

so this is flawed logic

It's no more speculative than what you're saying.

Short Leash Hootie
12-31-2010, 01:52 PM
Absolutely right.

yeah for someone wired like a regular old person like me or you...

Weis has plenty of money...still probably getting a shit ton from Notre Dame...

if he didn't want to coach, he wouldn't have taken the Chiefs job...

I very much doubt his mindset is "well shit, I need the money and this job is way easier so fuck it..."

flawed logic if you ask me

dude is set for life financially...he's not working to make ends meet...he's working to satisfy his need to compete

DeezNutz
12-31-2010, 01:53 PM

I understand your previous points, which I obviously didn't quote, but I disagree simply because of the absence of recruiting.

If I'm handsomely wealthy, like Weis, the last thing I want to worry about is begging a HS kid to come to Florida. Honestly. I would rather lounge by the pool and sip Thunderclouds (thank you, Blvd.).

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-31-2010, 01:54 PM

so this is flawed logic

You can get a payday with it being easy and still having a couple of highly competitive games a year.

He'll still have to scheme against Alabama or LSU or a team in a BCS game in all likelihood. He doesn't have to do it for 80 hours a week for 18 straight weeks.

Brock
yeah for someone wired like a regular old person like me or you...

Weis has plenty of money...still probably getting a shit ton from Notre Dame...

if he didn't want to coach, he wouldn't have taken the Chiefs job...

I very much doubt his mindset is "well shit, I need the money and this job is way easier so fuck it..."

flawed logic if you ask me

dude is set for life financially...he's not working to make ends meet...he's working to satisfy his need to compete

It's an easier job and he doesn't have to work with someone he doesn't get along with (speculative).

Mr. Laz
The fact that despite all that this team is ascending, improving and completely buying into his message.

As a conspiracy theorist, you suck.
Fail ... since i didn't suggest a conspiracy at all.

until Weis got here the offense sucked
since Haley got here we have gone through 2 maybe 3 coordinators in 2 years.

Hey ... if the offense continues to improve with Carthon and Haley running it then fine.

But if Haley runs off Weis and the offense turns to shit i'm going to track Haley down and rip his nuts off with a bait hook and make him eat his own mansack.

Short Leash Hootie
If Cassel looked even a bit over in NE like he looks since the Denver game with KC this season, then I'd have been a supporter from Day One.

Cassel looked so good in New England all of the coaches over there who left wanted him to be their QB...

but Reaper16 has more knowledge on what kind of player/pupil Matt Cassel is/was then McDaniels/Pioli/Belichick etc...

you'll always be the leach to the drafturbating idiots who were exposed as some of the biggest dumbasses on the board (when it comes to football) in 2010...

so congrats...dumbass drafturbating leach

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-31-2010, 01:55 PM
I understand your previous points, which I obviously didn't quote, but I disagree simply because of the absence of recruiting.

If I'm handsomely wealthy, like Weis, the last thing I want to worry about is begging a HS kid to come to Florida. Honestly. I would rather lounge by the pool and sip Thunderclouds (thank you, Blvd.).

Which is why the Trooper Taylors of the world exist.

DTLB58
12-31-2010, 01:55 PM
Think about it:

Or

If he is truly in that bad of health that he needs to change jobs because of it do you really think that at 60 this man HAS to work anymore? I mean the dude hasn't been flipping burgers at Sonic. I think he has a few bucks put away.

Short Leash Hootie
12-31-2010, 01:56 PM
he doesn't have to work with someone he doesn't get along with (speculative).

this would be a good reason for him to leave...the other one makes no sense

dude isn't coaching for it to be easy...I can guarantee that...if that were the case...he'd just retire and be an analyst

Mr. Laz
12-31-2010, 01:56 PM
Absolutely right.
recruiting?

-King-
12-31-2010, 01:57 PM
How can a coach decide to go from being a successful OC in the NFL to being an OC in college? It makes no sense.

Oh well, just our luck.

DTLB58
12-31-2010, 01:57 PM
Maybe Charles will get the ball more now! :p

Brock
12-31-2010, 01:58 PM
recruiting?

May not even be required of him.

Fritz88
It's an easier job and he doesn't have to work with someone he doesn't get along with (speculative).

That is not a good sign for Haley to continue success in this league.

chief52

Yes, this is my feeling exactly. People have no idea how much time college coaches spend on the road recruiting. Weis' health seems to prohibit him from that life style in my opinion.

If he wants to leave KC there will be plenty of NFL OC jobs available after the playoff run. He is not going to Florida.

DeezNutz
Which is why the Trooper Taylors of the world exist.

Perhaps. Maybe that svelte mother****er would never need to leave his compound. Let reputation and NFL connections do the heavy lifting.

Still seems like an undesirable step down. Now, if the hours were significantly less, I could understand that point.

JD10367
Everyone keeps saying he'd have to work harder as Florida's OC because of recruiting. Does anyone know this for a fact? Really, between the name recognition of Florida plus the name recognition of Weis, I think the idea would be that the team wouldn't have to recruit as hard because good HS players would want to go there. And as the OC, would he even have to be that involved? Would he have to travel? Maybe part of his deal with them would be that he wouldn't have to. Combine that with the Florida weather, the easier competition, not butting heads with Haley, the fact that Weis doesn't have to worry about money... :shrug: It's not out of the question.

The God Hypothesis
Think about it:

Or

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/125/331634958_387617c29f.jpg

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-31-2010, 01:59 PM
If he is truly in that bad of health that he needs to change jobs because of it do you really think that at 60 this man HAS to work anymore? I mean the dude hasn't been flipping burgers at Sonic. I think he has a few bucks put away.

This isn't a difficult train of thought to follow.

If he still loves to do it and can get equal pay for less work and less stress, why wouldn't he take the college job?

You scratch your competitive itch while not working your ass to death and not taking a cut in pay.

It's also a more secure job.

It's the same reason why Coach K passed on the Lakers job, and guys like Roy Williams will never leave college (and why Paterno, Bowden, and others never did).

-King-
12-31-2010, 01:59 PM
Fail ... since i didn't suggest a conspiracy at all.

until Weis got here the offense sucked
since Haley got here we have gone through 2 maybe 3 coordinators in 2 years.

Hey ... if the offense continues to improve with Carthon and Haley running it then fine.

But if Haley runs off Weis and the offense turns to shit i'm going to track Haley down and rip his nuts off with a bait hook and make him eat his own mansack.

:LOL: Yah. Sure.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-31-2010, 02:00 PM
Perhaps. Maybe that svelte mother****er would never need to leave his compound. Let reputation and NFL connections do the heavy lifting.

Still seems like an undesirable step down. Now, if the hours were significantly less, I could understand that point.

Spurrier's biggest complaint about UF vs. the Redskins: the former was an 8-5 job and the latter got in the way of his golf game.

Fritz88
12-31-2010, 02:00 PM

so this is flawed logic

Indeed.

JD10367
12-31-2010, 02:01 PM
The reports of Haley and Weis butting heads are true. Here is a just-released snapshot from a Haley press conference, of Weis in the back row.

http://thefastertimes.com/sportschat/files/2009/12/charlie-weis-gun-450sm.jpg

'Hamas' Jenkins
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/125/331634958_387617c29f.jpg

I'm not saying what he will do. I'm saying why he'd go to college.

Did everyone here get an 8 on the reading sections of their ACT?

chief52
May not even be required of him.

If the offensive coordinator is not out recruiting you can kiss of the top recruits. Recruiting is what makes programs in the NCAA. I believe it is the reason Urban Meyer is done. All the coaches are on the road.

-King-
Everyone keeps saying he'd have to work harder as Florida's OC because of recruiting. Does anyone know this for a fact? Really, between the name recognition of Florida plus the name recognition of Weis, I think the idea would be that the team wouldn't have to recruit as hard because good HS players would want to go there. And as the OC, would he even have to be that involved? Would he have to travel? Maybe part of his deal with them would be that he wouldn't have to. Combine that with the Florida weather, the easier competition, not butting heads with Haley, the fact that Weis doesn't have to worry about money... :shrug: It's not out of the question.

He'd still have to visit players no matter what. Those are unnecessary road trips in the summer that he'd have to take. I don't see him doing that.

DeezNutz
This isn't a difficult train of thought to follow.

If he still loves to do it and can get equal pay for less work and less stress, why wouldn't he take the college job?

You scratch your competitive itch while not working your ass to death and not taking a cut in pay.

It's also a more secure job.

It's the same reason why Coach K passed on the Lakers job, and guys like Roy Williams will never leave college (and why Paterno, Bowden, and others never did).

These comparisons don't entirely hold up because there's so much ego involved (not using this in a negative sense). When K retires, there will be a statue of him in front of the building, with his name somehow associated.

Tough to turn down being a legend.

Extra Point
12-31-2010, 02:03 PM
And why did Urban Meyer leave? Florida is as much a heart attack generator as the Chiefs.

With a couple or three guys under him, he can do so much more with the Chiefs, then hand off the job a well-understudied coach, at the end of the next two seasons.

Riding off to Florida in a scooter isn't how I envision Weis' departure.

DTLB58
There's 100% no chance of this happening.

He said before he took this job that he's an NFL offensive coordinator and that's what he wants to do for the rest of his career.

Errr, I remember both of the new coordinators saying that it was their goal at some point to be Head Coaches in the NFL.

'Hamas' Jenkins
These comparisons don't entirely hold up because there's so much ego involved (not using this in a negative sense). When K retires, there will be a statue of him in front of the building, with his name somehow associated.

Tough to turn down being a legend.

I doubt that statue would have been tossed in a vat of muriatic acid had he gone to Staples in 2005.

JD10367
He's a natural to live in Florida. He's already got the required mode of transportation for that state.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/603273/67625_chiefs_weis.jpg

Brock
If the offensive coordinator is not out recruiting you can kiss of the top recruits. Recruiting is what makes programs in the NCAA. I believe it is the reason Urban Meyer is done. All the coaches are on the road.

Well, if I'm a top tier player, I'd be kind of pissed off if they sent the offensive coordinator to talk to me.

DeezNutz
12-31-2010, 02:04 PM
Spurrier's biggest complaint about UF vs. the Redskins: the former was an 8-5 job and the latter got in the way of his golf game.

I don't necessarily begrudge anyone this type of opportunity. What you state above is similar to the benefits that Stoops has mentioned about Oklahoma. Gets home relatively early and takes his kids to school in the morning.

Those are very, very important lifestyle qualities.

chief52
12-31-2010, 02:05 PM
By the way, Charlie is 54.

DeezNutz
12-31-2010, 02:05 PM
I doubt that statue would have been tossed in a vat of muriatic acid had he gone to Staples in 2005.

I don't know, man...

Look at Roy and KU. If he turns down UNC a second time, he'd still be the de facto president of the university.

Guru
12-31-2010, 02:07 PM
better not happen.

-King-
Well, if I'm a top tier player, I'd be kind of pissed off if they sent the offensive coordinator to talk to me.

They would both go.

chief52

Of course the Head Coach will be there at some point if you are top tier. But you are going to get young assistants at your place as well as coordinators etc. Head coaches can not physically do all the recruiting. Totally impossible.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-31-2010, 02:08 PM
We have a couple of Mizzou fans in here.

Do you even know who does the vast majority of the recruiting for the Tigers?

Cornell Ford and Andy Hill.

Yost was the primary recruiter for three guys last year, Steckel for four, and Pinkel for none. Ford targeted 11 and Hill targeted 13.

JD10367
By the way, Charlie is 54.

Yeah, but health-wise he's more like 74. He may be 30 years younger but I think Joe Paterno could kick his ass.

Brock
They would both go.

Maybe not.

Reaper16
Cassel looked so good in New England all of the coaches over there who left wanted him to be their QB...

but Reaper16 has more knowledge on what kind of player/pupil Matt Cassel is/was then McDaniels/Pioli/Belichick etc...

you'll always be the leach to the drafturbating idiots who were exposed as some of the biggest dumbasses on the board (when it comes to football) in 2010...

so congrats...dumbass drafturbating leach
Coaches and GMs bring over guys they are familiar with all of the time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I've never claimed that I have more knowledge than Pioli. I had opinions about why I didn't think this would work out, and posted them here because that is the purpose of a football message board.

PunkinDrublic
12-31-2010, 02:09 PM
C'mon Charlie show us your fucking Chiefs will not your Chiefs won't.

'Hamas' Jenkins
I don't know, man...

Look at Roy and KU. If he turns down UNC a second time, he'd still be the de facto president of the university.

That's viewed by KU fans as a lateral move and coaching a potential threat (who they played in the FF in 2008, nonetheless). The Lakers job is the preeminent job in basketball.

-King-
Yeah, but health-wise he's more like 74. He may be 30 years younger but I think Joe Paterno could kick his ass.

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Short Leash Hootie
there is one, and only one reason why Weis would leave KC to be an offensive coordinator at Florida...

Weis and Haley don't get along.

Period.

That is it...

(or he's really good friends with the new guy at Florida)

It's not because he's looking for an easier job with less hours...that's not what kind of coach Charlie freaking Weis is...

Short Leash Hootie
12-31-2010, 02:10 PM
Coaches and GMs bring over guys they are familiar with all of the time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I've never claimed that I have more knowledge than Pioli. I had opinions about why I didn't think this would work out, and posted them here because that is the purpose of a football message board.

you're saying he sucked as a Pat

that is flat our ridiculous...

it's nonsense

it's DIPSHITTERY

DeezNutz

Unfortunately for you, you're one of the few posters who has voiced erroneous opinions. If this perpetuates, we will have to ban you.

True Fans are batting .876 on the year.

The God Hypothesis
I'm not saying what he will do. I'm saying why he'd go to college.

Did everyone here get an 8 on the reading sections of their ACT?

I was just messing with you, but I do disagree that "College jobs of equivalent pay are far superior to NFL jobs". I believe each situation has too many variables for blanket statements such as that. Consider Florida plays in the SEC, some may consider that worse than the NFC West when you consider your players are in college as well.

BTW whats an ACT?

The Bad Guy
12-31-2010, 02:11 PM
there is one, and only one reason why Weis would leave KC to be an offensive coordinator at Florida...

Period.

That is it...

It's not because he's looking for an easier job with less hours...that's not what kind of coach Charlie freaking Weis is...

I really think it is a personality conflict that's rooted in Weis wanting full control of offensive operations, which would make sense considering he's only coordinated for defensive minded HCs.

Reaper16
12-31-2010, 02:12 PM
kentbabb (http://twitter.com/#%21/kentbabb) Don't think he's ready for an OC job, but he's had a big impact on Cassel's development. RT @@JonVoightsCar (http://twitter.com/JonVoightsCar): Sirianni being groomed?

-King-

Period.

That is it...

Yeah I agree.

The whole "college is easier" argument is BS to me. Why fuck up what he's got going with Cassel, Charles, Bowe, and the rest of the offense just to go to coach some college kids?

'Hamas' Jenkins
BTW whats an ACT?

Cheap brand of mouthwash.

chief52

Period.

That is it...

Well, why would he not wait for another NFL OC job? There will all kinds of them open and he would probably be able to name his price.

The Bad Guy
Well, why would he not wait for another NFL OC job? There will all kinds of them open and he would probably be able to name his price.

Because the Chiefs would want compensation to let him leave. They aren't going to fire him and have him to go to a competing team for nothing.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-31-2010, 02:13 PM
Because the Chiefs would want compensation to let him leave. They aren't going to fire him and have him to go to a competing team for nothing.

Tampering rules?

He'd have to wait until both teams were eliminated for this to be an option as well. Plus, if they fire him, they can't get compensation. Similarly, if he quits, I don't think they can get compensation either. I've also never heard of a coordinator netting compensation.

The Bad Guy
12-31-2010, 02:13 PM
kentbabb (http://twitter.com/#%21/kentbabb) Don't think he's ready for an OC job, but he's had a big impact on Cassel's development. RT @@JonVoightsCar (http://twitter.com/JonVoightsCar): Sirianni being groomed?

I've heard that from more than one person that Sirianni works a ton with Cassel.

DTLB58
12-31-2010, 02:14 PM
Looks like they are going to talk about it on NFLN in just a few minutes on Around the League Live. Heads up!

Short Leash Hootie
12-31-2010, 02:14 PM
I think Haley will always be the coach that wants to be the gameday offensive coordinator, as well...

he was a HELL OF A COORDINATOR in Arizona for their Super Bowl run...so I have no issues with this at all...

Weis has done a great job this year (from what we can tell) and writing off Haley because of 2009 would be a major mistake (that team was a mess and in the midst of a major transition)...

so I have no problems with thanking Weis for his one year contribution, naming a younger guy with some potential (a la Sean Payton back in the day) as coordinator, and letting Haley be in charge of the plays come game day...

I'm really kind of indifferent when it comes to McDaniels...I wouldn't be against it...but I wouldn't be super happy either.

DeezNutz
12-31-2010, 02:15 PM
That's viewed by KU fans as a lateral move and coaching a potential threat (who they played in the FF in 2008, nonetheless). The Lakers job is the preeminent job in basketball.

Good point. But so much of the vitriol was based on how Roy handled the situation (no presser in Lawrence, hop a jet and talk in Chapel Hill).

I think fans are far more accepting if the coach/player handles the situation like a man. Likely Coach K would have done this, making much of this moot.

But I do think that Dukies have an unusually high opinion of themselves, so the transition to the NBA, no matter the organization, wouldn't have necessarily been viewed as a step up, as ridiculous as it sounds.

The Bad Guy
12-31-2010, 02:16 PM
I think Haley wants to have a hand in it, but no way do I think he wants to be calling plays again on Sunday. He's commented how great it's been to be able to oversee everything numerous times.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-31-2010, 02:16 PM
Good point. But so much of the vitriol was based on how Roy handled the situation (no presser in Lawrence, hop a jet and talk in Chapel Hill).

I think fans are far more accepting if the coach/player handles the situation like a man. Likely Coach K would have done this, making much of this moot.

But I do think that Dukies have an unusually high opinion of themselves, so the transition to the NBA, no matter the organization, wouldn't have necessarily been viewed as a step up, as ridiculous as it sounds.

To some, initially, that would have happened. But cooler heads would have prevailed in that situation.

All you have to do in that situation is say "I want to test myself against the best players in the world on a nightly basis" and you have your instant out.

chief52
12-31-2010, 02:17 PM

Well, I know it is different, but if he is under contract he can not just walk out and go to college ball either I would not think. Guess the Chiefs only signed him to a one year contract?

Brock
12-31-2010, 02:17 PM
Well, I know it is different, but if he is under contract he can not just walk out and go to college ball either I would not think. Guess the Chiefs only signed him to a one year contract?

Why can he not just walk out and go to college ball either?

Shogun
12-31-2010, 02:18 PM
Dont know if its been posted http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Kansas-City-Chiefs-coach-Todd-Haley-says-he-knows-nothing-of-Charlie-Weis-possibly-taking-Florida-job-123110

DeezNutz
12-31-2010, 02:18 PM
I think Haley will always be the coach that wants to be the gameday offensive coordinator, as well...

he was a HELL OF A COORDINATOR in Arizona for their Super Bowl run...so I have no issues with this at all...

Weis has done a great job this year (from what we can tell) and writing off Haley because of 2009 would be a major mistake (that team was a mess and in the midst of a major transition)...

so I have no problems with thanking Weis for his one year contribution, naming a younger guy with some potential (a la Sean Payton back in the day) as coordinator, and letting Haley be in charge of the plays come game day...

I'm really kind of indifferent when it comes to McDaniels...I wouldn't be against it...but I wouldn't be super happy either.

I'm not writing off Haley because of '09. I'm writing off Haley as OC because of the history of coaches who have successfully navigated the duties of HC and OC, coaches with far more prestigious pedigrees than Haley at this point.

Reaper16
12-31-2010, 02:19 PM
you're saying he sucked as a Pat

that is flat our ridiculous...

it's nonsense

it's DIPSHITTERY
It's hyperbole is what it is. Average-at-best might be more accurate than "sucked," but what I saw from Cassel in NE didn't impress me enough to want him over Stafford or Sanchez. And part of that was the frustration over possibly getting ANOTHER backup QB instead of drafting a universally-respected 1st round prospect. The franchise had been down that route many, many times to no avail. My position back then was "If Cassel turns out to be Trent Green, then I'd still rather have taken a QB prospect. I'd rather have a QB prospect bust than get another Trent Green, because at least the franchise took the shot that it's been afraid of for so long."

Cassel has looked better than Green lately in a lot of ways, so there's that going for him.

chief52
12-31-2010, 02:20 PM
Why can he not just walk out and go to college ball either?

Contract?

Brock
12-31-2010, 02:21 PM
Contract?

An NFL contract will keep him from coaching NCAA football?

Short Leash Hootie
12-31-2010, 02:24 PM
why wouldn't we want another Trent Green?

The idea that we didn't win a playoff game because of something Trent Green did is freaking ridiculous...

Trent Green was a top QB for a 3 year stretch with the Chiefs...and had we had anything close to an average defense we could have easily won a Super Bowl...or at least a playoff game.

The fact that guys like Dane called the Green trade a fail, and the Roaf (a 4th round pick) trade a fail...

just show how UNBELIEVABLY ridiculous the drafturbators are when it comes to the draft...

yes...we COULD HAVE taken Brees (19 picks early) with that pick we gave the Rams...but that is total hindsight and Brees was SO BAD at first the Chargers took Eli Manning (and flipped him for Rivers) while Brees was under contract...

and the Rams took (I believe) Damione Lewis with our pick we traded for Green...

so blah blah blah

you drafturbators need to understand the draft, while valuable...IS A CRAPSHOOT...

The Green and Roaf trades were fantastic trades.

chief52
12-31-2010, 02:24 PM
It's hyperbole is what it is. Average-at-best might be more accurate than "sucked," but what I saw from Cassel in NE didn't impress me enough to want him over Stafford or Sanchez. And part of that was the frustration over possibly getting ANOTHER backup QB instead of drafting a universally-respected 1st round prospect. The franchise had been down that route many, many times to no avail. My position back then was "If Cassel turns out to be Trent Green, then I'd still rather have taken a QB prospect. I'd rather have a QB prospect bust than get another Trent Green, because at least the franchise took the shot that it's been afraid of for so long."

Cassel has looked better than Green lately in a lot of ways, so there's that going for him.

Sanchez was not considered a "universally respected" 1st round prospect Some thought so...many, many others did not. Thank god the Chiefs were smart enough not to go that route.

You would take Cassel over Sanchez...right?

chief52
12-31-2010, 02:25 PM
An NFL contract will keep him from coaching NCAA football?

I would think so. He is UNDER CONTRACT to perform until his contract expires.

Brock
12-31-2010, 02:27 PM
I would think so. He is UNDER CONTRACT to perform until his contract expires.

He's UNDER CONTRACT in the NFL. Not anywhere else.

Short Leash Hootie
12-31-2010, 02:28 PM
we can go back through the last decade of drafts (when I have more time) and I can, once again, point out how much of a crapshoot every single round of the draft really is...

the draft is a valuable tool in the NFL, especially when there is a HARD cap...because 90% of players are replaceable by rookies who make a fraction of what the veterans make...

but hits are few and far between...

and after the 4th round...you can find as many talented rookies in the UDFA pool as you can in the draft...

once the 5th round starts it turns into teams drafting THEIR guys...not following any sort of board...it's like having first dibs on those undrafted guys

chief52
12-31-2010, 02:31 PM

Do not think that is how it works...

Reaper16
12-31-2010, 02:32 PM
Sanchez was not considered a "universally respected" 1st round prospect Some thought so...many, many others did not. Thank god the Chiefs were smart enough not to go that route.

You would take Cassel over Sanchez...right?
You really think Sanchez wouldn't have gone in the 1st round?

Sanchez vs Cassel now? That's an interesting question. Sanchez still has more upside and is younger, but Cassel is showing things that I never thought I'd see from him. Before the Denver game, it'd be a no-brainier for Sanchez. Now? It depends how far out you think your team is from contending. For the current Chiefs team, who wants to have its running game carry the day and its QB not turn the ball over, the Cassel from Arizona-on is the better option.

ChiefsCountry
12-31-2010, 02:33 PM
yes...we COULD HAVE taken Brees (19 picks early) with that pick we gave the Rams...but that is total hindsight and Brees was SO BAD at first the Chargers took Eli Manning (and flipped him for Rivers) while Brees was under contract...

How is that hindsight when Vermeil's fucking draft notes from 2001 showed Brees at the top of our draft board?

Brock
12-31-2010, 02:33 PM
Do not think that is how it works...

You think that an NFL coach cannot coach football anywhere if he wants out of the NFL? Give me one example of this ever happening.

Short Leash Hootie
12-31-2010, 02:34 PM
you all might as well give up on Sanchez...

that dude is not going to work out

I want everyone to bookmark this post, too...because I bet in 3 years it won't be getting bumped.

Reaper16
12-31-2010, 02:35 PM
you all might as well give up on Sanchez...

that dude is not going to work out

I want everyone to bookmark this post, too...because I bet in 3 years it won't be getting bumped.
Sure it will. You'll bump it. And you ought to.

ChiefsCountry

He just went in the top 5 but he wasn't a first round prospect? Damn people are stupid.

Short Leash Hootie
How is that hindsight when Vermeil's ****ing draft notes from 2001 showed Brees at the top of our draft board?

even if this is true (and I have no idea)

are we forgetting Brees' first years in San Diego where he was so bad that they gave up on him and drafted Eli Manning?

???

??????

the fact of the matter is...we traded for Green...he played pro bowl caliber football for us...and the Rams got Damione Lewis out of it.

booger
12-31-2010, 02:37 PM
I'd rather see him stick around but would understand the move from a personal and family standpoint. For a guy in his health it would be like a semi retirement. He's had a rough year with the gall bladder operation and the knee getting wrecked before camp. In the introductory presser with Weiss, Haley, Crennel, and Emmitt Thomas, Romeo joked that the coaches needed to lose weight like the players did in the first year when Haley and Pioli came in.

I could see Weis taking Bernie Parmalee with him to be in line to replace him when he does retire or atleast be in position to if the cards fell that way. Parmalee moved up to the booth early on as he was on the sidelines. Might not be much involved there. I just remember pre season he was actually helping Hoffman coach ST's and doing opening kick huddle breakdowns and then sitting in the booth next to weis.

So if true i'd say its a combo of his health and wanting to coach under less stressful situation during the end of his career. The timing sucks but they always do in these situations with playoff teams.

Big credit to Weis for Cassel's development. With the players both new and the strides some have made plus hopefully additional help on the way next year i don't see too much reason to lose hope. With Cassel Haley is going to want to make it as painless as possible. I don't see a promotion from within.

Greg Oleson the oc of the Bucs could be available and Haley has had interest in him before as they worked together in Chicago. There was some article out i don't know where now that said the GM and entire coaching staff and front office all have expiring contracts after this season and don't know their futures as the Glazers are waiting on CBA talks. So just a maybe for Oleson but IMO he would be high on Haley's wish list. Tampa fired Jeff Jagodinzski within days/a week or so after Gailey got canned in fear KC would ask permission to hire him even though the season was close and it would be a rare situation. On the other hand Jagodinszki was fired to because his apparent ineptness as an OC and the only thing he seemed to be able to do was install a zone blocking scheme for the OL. Oleson was already doing most of the work as QB coach.

Rob Chudzinksi was with Romeo in Cleveland as OC and now back in SD as Asst hc and TE's. Jeff Davidson the Panthers OC is another Weis pupil and will likely be available as John Fox's contract runs out after the season and it would be very safe to assume so does davidsons. No really direct connection to haley with those two just from Weis and running similar offenses.

Throw Brian Daboll the Browns OC in that mix as Mangini has a good chance of getting canned next week and holmgren won't need a Weis/Pats former QB coach in Daboll. He has made clear before this season that he let them run their offense and it isn't anything to do with the west coast offense he runs.

I don't see Grimm as a possibillity. He is more from the Cowher tree and could possibly be the next Panthers HC if Cowher doesn't take the job.

McDaniels would be great for Cassel but i would be worried about Josh's reputation since getting a HC job running people off and generally doesn't seem to be liked and how good of a fit he would be in that way. If that's what they do i'm sure it would be clear cut and hatchet burried as any major risk would be a stupid choice for a guy like Haley in his situation being on such an upswing if he couldn't trust or get along or distrupt cohesion of the staff by adding a guy like that. On the other hand maybe getting fired has humbled McDipshit who knows? Damn i sure liked teasing that pony riding piss ant. :evil: Now i may have to pull for him next season. Such is life in the NFL i guess.

It wouldn't suprise me though in the least to see Haley just go with a system guy, like minded and experienced in the offense with one of the others listed and not McD. With Romeo, Haley can still heavily influence like he still does i assume and not worry about having to control a guy like McD if they just aren't a match.

I could see Sirriani promoted to QB coach as that is basically part of his duties now. He is a Haley hand picked youngster and I think he slowly wants to groom him to possibly be OC someday.

The timing of all of this sure does suck though.

chief52
12-31-2010, 02:38 PM
You really think Sanchez wouldn't have gone in the 1st round?

Sanchez vs Cassel now? That's an interesting question. Sanchez still has more upside and is younger, but Cassel is showing things that I never thought I'd see from him. Before the Denver game, it'd be a no-brainier for Sanchez. Now? It depends how far out you think your team is from contending. For the current Chiefs team, who wants to have its running game carry the day and its QB not turn the ball over, the Cassel from Arizona-on is the better option.

I did not think he was good enough to use a number one pick on and sited lots of others that felt the same way at the time. Not saying I know it all because I am sure there are more times when I am wrong. I feel I was right on Sanchez. Do not feel he was first round material and feel the Jets reached for him. He has not impressed me much so far.

Did not know what to think of Cassel at the time. Now I am very happy the Chiefs have Cassel and not Sanchez. The Chiefs would not be in the playoffs with Sanchez I do not believe.

chief52
12-31-2010, 02:41 PM
He just went in the top 5 but he wasn't a first round prospect? Damn people are stupid.

Maybe you ought to read a little closer before you start calling people stupid.

I will glady accept your apology once you have slowed down and read what was typed because I have never had an issue with you.

You are very welcome.

-King-
12-31-2010, 02:43 PM
I'd rather see him stick around but would understand the move from a personal and family standpoint. For a guy in his health it would be like a semi retirement. He's had a rough year with the gall bladder operation and the knee getting wrecked before camp. In the introductory presser with Weiss, Haley, Crennel, and Emmitt Thomas, Romeo joked that the coaches needed to lose weight like the players did in the first year when Haley and Pioli came in.

I could see Weis taking Bernie Parmalee with him to be in line to replace him when he does retire or atleast be in position to if the cards fell that way. Parmalee moved up to the booth early on as he was on the sidelines. Might not be much involved there. I just remember pre season he was actually helping Hoffman coach ST's and doing opening kick huddle breakdowns and then sitting in the booth next to weis.

So if true i'd say its a combo of his health and wanting to coach under less stressful situation during the end of his career. The timing sucks but they always do in these situations with playoff teams.

Big credit to Weis for Cassel's development. With the players both new and the strides some have made plus hopefully additional help on the way next year i don't see too much reason to lose hope. With Cassel Haley is going to want to make it as painless as possible. I don't see a promotion from within.

Greg Oleson the oc of the Bucs could be available and Haley has had interest in him before as they worked together in Chicago. There was some article out i don't know where now that said the GM and entire coaching staff and front office all have expiring contracts after this season and don't know their futures as the Glazers are waiting on CBA talks. So just a maybe for Oleson but IMO he would be high on Haley's wish list. Tampa fired Jeff Jagodinzski within days/a week or so after Gailey got canned in fear KC would ask permission to hire him even though the season was close and it would be a rare situation. On the other hand Jagodinszki was fired to because his apparent ineptness as an OC and the only thing he seemed to be able to do was install a zone blocking scheme for the OL. Oleson was already doing most of the work as QB coach.

Rob Chudzinksi was with Romeo in Cleveland as OC and now back in SD as Asst hc and TE's. Jeff Davidson the Panthers OC is another Weis pupil and will likely be available as John Fox's contract runs out after the season and it would be very safe to assume so does davidsons. No really direct connection to haley with those two just from Weis and running similar offenses.

Throw Brian Daboll the Browns OC in that mix as Mangini has a good chance of getting canned next week and holmgren won't need a Weis/Pats former QB coach in Daboll. He has made clear before this season that he let them run their offense and it isn't anything to do with the west coast offense he runs.

I don't see Grimm as a possibillity. He is more from the Cowher tree and could possibly be the next Panthers HC if Cowher doesn't take the job.

McDaniels would be great for Cassel but i would be worried about Josh's reputation since getting a HC job running people off and generally doesn't seem to be liked and how good of a fit he would be in that way. If that's what they do i'm sure it would be clear cut and hatchet burried as any major risk would be a stupid choice for a guy like Haley in his situation being on such an upswing if he couldn't trust or get along or distrupt cohesion of the staff by adding a guy like that. On the other hand maybe getting fired has humbled McDipshit who knows? Damn i sure liked teasing that pony riding piss ant. :evil: Now i may have to pull for him next season. Such is life in the NFL i guess.

It wouldn't suprise me though in the least to see Haley just go with a system guy, like minded and experienced in the offense with one of the others listed and not McD. With Romeo, Haley can still heavily influence like he still does i assume and not worry about having to control a guy like McD if they just aren't a match.

I could see Sirriani promoted to QB coach as that is basically part of his duties now. He is a Haley hand picked youngster and I think he slowly wants to groom him to possibly be OC someday.

The timing of all of this sure does suck though.

Holy shit.

T-post Tom
12-31-2010, 02:45 PM
Mort had Shanny coming here, so his record with KC coaching rumors isn't the best. That said, it's odd that the Chiefs wouldn't make Weiss available to the media to squash the rumor. If Weiss doesn't deny the rumor within a day or so, it's probably true.

-King-
12-31-2010, 02:48 PM
Mort had Shanny coming here, so his record with KC coaching rumors isn't the best. That said, it's odd that the Chiefs wouldn't make Weiss available to the media to squash the rumor. If Weiss doesn't deny the rumor within a day or so, it's probably true.

Even if he "squashes" the rumor, theres a possibility it's true. Coaches/other people in the NFL always lie. Look at how many coaches have been given a vote of confidence by their owners and then been fired. Shit, McDaniels was told he wasn't going to be fired the sunday of the Chiefs game IIRC, then he was fired the next day.

T-post Tom
12-31-2010, 02:59 PM
Even if he "squashes" the rumor, theres a possibility it's true. Coaches/other people in the NFL always lie. Look at how many coaches have been given a vote of confidence by their owners and then been fired. Shit, McDaniels was told he wasn't going to be fired the sunday of the Chiefs game IIRC, then he was fired the next day.

"Coaches/other people in the NFL always lie." Wouldn't be the way that I'd phrase it, but yes people do not always tell the truth. That said, I don't think that Charlie Weis is going to tell a gaggle of reporters that he's not leaving and then leave. He's much more likely to either avoid the media; admit that he's leaving; or decline to answer the question.

My guess is that he's leaving. In fact, I know it's true because 610 is discussing his possible replacement. And 610 is always accurate in their reporting. :)

YayMike
12-31-2010, 02:59 PM
As long as this doesn't fuck up our playoff run, I really don't care. I think he'd be a dick to leave but if he thinks he is looking out for himself, good luck to him.

jspchief
12-31-2010, 03:00 PM
Quit reading about page 16 but I'll add my thoughts..

1. The Chiefs' offensive playcalling this year was bipolar. I've felt all along that there has been more than 1 cook in the kitchen, it's just a question of which cook was making the good stuff. It makes some sort of "divide" between Haley and Weis believable. Maybe they don't hate each other, just realize it's not a fit.

1a. I don't think I'm too upset if this happens, other than the timing. I'd prefer no distractions. But maybe the transition is already more in place than we know in terms of Weis' influence on the team.

1b. McFistpump? Leaves the taste of rotted horemeat in my mouth, but at least McDaniels' failures were mostly related to personnel moves. I'll trust Haley to not let him trade away Charles, Moeaki, etc.

2. Muschamp is looking like a freaking genius. If he does land Weis, it's a homerun for that program. Must be nice to say "I want a pro-style offense and great QB recruits" and then likely make it all happen with a single hiring. The job is a lateral move at best for Weis in title and pay, but he has a chance to become a god in the process. I don't think the guy is HC material in college or pros, but maybe he's decided this is where he can make his mark.

JD10367
12-31-2010, 03:01 PM
It's hyperbole is what it is. Average-at-best might be more accurate than "sucked," but what I saw from Cassel in NE didn't impress me enough to want him over Stafford or Sanchez. And part of that was the frustration over possibly getting ANOTHER backup QB instead of drafting a universally-respected 1st round prospect.

Wut?

The year Cassel played full-time (2008), he had the 10th-best QB rating, better than Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, Donovan McNabb, Jay Cutler, Brett Favre, Joe Flacco, Ben Rapistberger, Kyle Orton, and the 27th-ranked Tyler Thigpen. He was 8th in yardage, had 21 TDs and 11 INTs, and a completion rate over 63% (11th in the league).

JD10367
12-31-2010, 03:02 PM
BTW whats an ACT?

Apparently, it's what Haley and Weis were putting on when they said they got along. LMAO And apparently they should be honorary SAG members.

FringeNC
12-31-2010, 03:02 PM
My thoughts:

1) Sounds like Haley wants Weis gone
2) Haley is a better offensive mind than Weis anyway. Chiefs had 500 yards of offense 2 ouf the last 3 games in 2009 (dramatic improvement during the year), and Haley was great at Arizona. Also, the article earlier in USA Today about the Chiefs working with Cassel to get his drop back speed on par with Brees credited to being Haley's idea, not Weis.
3) I don't buy the McDaniels thing at all, but would be fine with it. We'll be fine with Haley as HC and OC, but McDaniels obviously knows offense.

-King-
12-31-2010, 03:05 PM
My thoughts:

2) Haley is a better offensive mind than Weis anyway. Chiefs had 500 yards of offense 2 ouf the last 3 games in 2009 (dramatic improvement during the year), and Haley was great at Arizona. Also, the article earlier in USA Today about the Chiefs working with Cassel to get his drop back speed on par with Brees credited to being Haley's idea, not Weis.
3) I don't buy the McDaniels thing at all, but would be fine with it. We'll be fine with Haley as HC and OC, but McDaniels obviously knows offense.

We had 500+ yards once last year.

bevischief
12-31-2010, 03:06 PM
:popcorn:

I am surprised they lasted this long...

chief52
12-31-2010, 03:07 PM
You think that an NFL coach cannot coach football anywhere if he wants out of the NFL? Give me one example of this ever happening.

I do not know. Never said I knew. Do you think Coach Haley could walk into the Chiefs and say I am leaving to go be a head coach in the NCAA? They may let him out of his contract or they may not...

Never said it was that way. Just felt if you are under contract you are under contract and the only way out is if the NFL team decides to let you out. Could be wrong. Would love to know the answer.

FringeNC
We had 500+ yards once last year.

491. Close enough.

JD10367

Where'd Jamarcus Russell go? How about Rick Mirer, who went 2nd after Drew Bledsoe? How about Ryan Leaf, who went 2nd after Peyton Manning? How about that QB class of 1983?

Just because Sanchez went high doesn't mean he's any good. He sucked in his rookie year, and he sucked this year. He's got the 28th-best QB rating this season. If he wasn't in New York City, and the media hadn't spent his rookie year sucking him off while mumbling, with mouths full, "Omigod you're so cute you're like the second coming of Joe Namath we love you!", then Sanchez would be getting properly ripped for the bust he's turned out to be so far.

the Talking Can
12-31-2010, 03:08 PM
eh....

Weis left the nfl for college once already...if he does it again, it means there is something about college he now prefers...workload, lifestyle, whatever....god speed fat man

the 'timing' is driven by the college calendar...it isn't as if Weis thought up a way to screw the Chiefs...this was all set in motion by Urban Cryers quit-irement...

there probably are some issues with Haley/Weis as well, but this is the nfl and getting along has jack shit to do with winning...

were i to speculate, i'd say Haley - based on his own play calling at Arizona and the end of last year, which was pretty good given the shitty circumstances - simply desires a more aggressive downfield attack

we're a run team first because of Charles, and Haley is smart enough to do what works...and Weis has been perfect for grooming Cassel and bringing him along with a more sideways/short/simple reads passing attack (that has grown as cassel has grown, but still it probably grates on Haley)

Weis is sick of being criticized for what he sees as a successful offense, Haley is tired of not seeing the aggressiveness on the field that is part of his personality, and as a former OC he knows when opportunities have been missed or ignored or refused...

i mean, if this were a soap opera, this would be the motivations for my characters....plus Weis' eating addiction to due his father calling him 'pillowbiter' as a nickname, and Haley's anger issues because his alcoholic mom ridiculed golfers whenever she was drunk and not banging another dude picked up at the strip club...

and roll scene

DeezNutz
My thoughts:

Terribly premature to call Haley a better offensive mind than Weis.

Roll scene (which should be the new roll Tide for CP).

Reaper16
Wut?

The year Cassel played full-time (2008), he had the 10th-best QB rating, better than Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, Donovan McNabb, Jay Cutler, Brett Favre, Joe Flacco, Ben Rapistberger, Kyle Orton, and the 27th-ranked Tyler Thigpen. He was 8th in yardage, had 21 TDs and 11 INTs, and a completion rate over 63% (11th in the league).
Playing in shotgun, throwing underneath to Wes Welker after Randy Moss took the safeties away.

No one wants to see this argument play out for the umpteenth time, though.

jspchief
12-31-2010, 03:10 PM
I do not know. Never said I knew. Do you think Coach Haley could walk into the Chiefs and say I am leaving to go be a head coach in the NCAA? They may let him out of his contract or they may not...

Never said it was that way. Just felt if you are under contract you are under contract and the only way out is if the NFL team decides to let you out. Could be wrong. Would love to know the answer.It's possible that a team could sue the coach for breach of contract, but there's nothing positive to come from that. It just makes the organization look like bitches, which hurts their prospect of bringing in coaches in the future. Particularly young up and coming coaches who may look at the job as a rung on the ladder.

Sully
12-31-2010, 03:10 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but...
Haley was the OC in Arizona much like Calahan was the OC in Oakland. He didn't actually call the plays.
Am I off on that?

Sent from my Johnny 5 using Tapatalk

DeezNutz
12-31-2010, 03:11 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but...
Haley was the OC in Arizona much like Calahan was the OC in Oakland. He didn't actually call the plays.
Am I off on that?

Sent from my Johnny 5 using Tapatalk

Yes, you're off. Started calling plays late in '07. Completely in '08.

Dante84
12-31-2010, 03:13 PM

Tell me you're not this dumb.

An exclusive coaching contract doesn't mean you are free to go somewhere else just because it isn't in the NFL.

There's language in there that restricts his coaching from ANY other program; NFL, College, Little league, or otherwise.

Why do you think think Florida called the Chiefs and asked permission to speak to Charlie?

Rams Fan
12-31-2010, 03:13 PM
2) Haley is a better offensive mind than Weis anyway.

Any OC could have succeeded with the players the Cardinals had in '08 on offense. Warner, Fitz, Boldin....

DeezNutz
12-31-2010, 03:15 PM
Any OC could have succeeded with the players the Cardinals had in '08 on offense. Warner, Fitz, Boldin....

Dude...

Sorry. This is complete and total bullshit. Talent does not immediately = success. Coaching matters.

chief52
12-31-2010, 03:16 PM
It's possible that a team could sue the coach for breach of contract, but there's nothing positive to come from that. It just makes the organization look like bitches, which hurts their prospect of bringing in coaches in the future. Particularly young up and coming coaches who may look at the job as a rung on the ladder.

Agreed. If a guy does not want to coach for you then his heart is surely not in it. Who needs him...

GoHuge
I just can't believe a guy would leave a NFL OC job for the exact job at a college. Makes no sense at all unless he and Haley can't stand each other. We will never know if there is a problem between them, but to make a lateral move (job description wise) and leave the NFL, he either hates Haley or KC. Does anybody know if him and Muschamp(sp) have a relationship or worked together in the past? Whole thing is bizzare as hell.

Reaper16

Dude...

Sorry. This is complete and total bullshit. Talent does not immediately = success. Coaching matters.
Chiefs fans, because of this season especially, know that coaching matters.

Rams Fan: you know that Fitz credits Haley with taking him to the next level, right?

Pawnmower
12-31-2010, 03:17 PM
I dont want to see this argument play out for the umpteenth time, though.

fyp bro

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:SB0UnyulabIflM:http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/5484/brofist64.jpg&t=1

Frankie
Welcome to KC McDAsshole!!

PS,

If this is a repost, GET A LIFE!

JD10367
Playing in shotgun, throwing underneath to Wes Welker after Randy Moss took the safeties away.

No one wants to see this argument play out for the umpteenth time, though.

You said Cassel "sucked" in New England. You then backtracked to "average at best". I then provided you some top-10 stat numbers. Now it's because he simply threw underneath?

I don't know why you have such man-love for Sanchez. I think the numbers for the past three seasons for Cassel, and the past two seasons for Sanchez, tell the story. If Sanchez turns out not to be a bust, I'd be surprised.

Rams Fan
12-31-2010, 03:18 PM
Dude...

True, but he didn't have to have make chicken salad out of chicken shit in AZ. His first year in KC, he had to deal with players playing at a less than spectacular level on offense. After a year in Haley's scheme(as well as the additions of a few players and Weis), the offense has improved.

Rams Fan
12-31-2010, 03:19 PM
Rams Fan: you know that Fitz credits Haley with taking him to the next level, right?

Did not know that. I'm just saying that different coaches succeed with different talents. I'm not saying he wasn't a bad coach in AZ, but it would be hard for an OC to fail in AZ with the talent that AZ had in 2008.

wazu
12-31-2010, 03:20 PM
This just sucks. If it's true, I worry that we are seeing Haley's achilles heel. Haley made it clear that there was just about no better fit for our OC position than Weis. If he drives him off after a phenomenal first year, then I guess it's safe to say Whitlock was right after all.

JASONSAUTO
12-31-2010, 03:20 PM
Who's to say that any other coach wouldn't have made fitz just as good?

Chiefs fans, because of this season especially, know that coaching matters.

Lol just kidding
Posted via Mobile Device

Brock
12-31-2010, 03:21 PM
Tell me you're not this dumb.

An exclusive coaching contract doesn't mean you are free to go somewhere else just because it isn't in the NFL.

There's language in there that restricts his coaching from ANY other program; NFL, College, Little league, or otherwise.

Why do you think think Florida called the Chiefs and asked permission to speak to Charlie?

Can you point out a single instance of an NFL coach not getting the college job he wanted because his NFL team wouldn't let him go? Didn't think so.

BigRedChief
12-31-2010, 03:21 PM
Haley is the big dog. Weiss was (in his words) was brought in to fix the QB. Looks like he did his job. Haley knows the offense. We will be fine.

Did anyone really think Weiss and Crennel were going to stay? They both want to be head coaches again.

Crennel leaving would be a much bigger deal.

wazu
12-31-2010, 03:22 PM
And for those that want Haley to double as OC, I think Haley needs somebody to keep him in check. I also think operationally you lose a lot by having to devote that much time to one aspect of your team. Not that it can't be done, but I don't think it's ideal.

DeezNutz
True, but he didn't have to have make chicken salad out of chicken shit in AZ. His first year in KC, he had to deal with player playing at a less than spectacular level on offense. After a year in Haley's scheme(as well as the additions of a few players and Weis), the offense has improved.

No doubt there's been improvement. But some of the regression was due to how Haley handled things. For example, Bowe and Cassel hardly ever worked together in preseason '09. Was this taking a step back to take two forward? Perhaps.

BigRedChief
I just can't believe a guy would leave a NFL OC job for the exact job at a college. Makes no sense at all unless he and Haley can't stand each other.He could get an OC job anywhere in the NFL. He just must like the college game better.

DBOSHO
12-31-2010, 03:27 PM
I would love mcdaniels as an OC. I just worry that him and haley would clash. I think mcdaniels would turn this cassel into a superstar.

Donger
12-31-2010, 03:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5974715

Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Charlie Weis is being targeted by the Florida Gators to become the offensive coordinator under new coach Will Muschamp, two sources confirmed to ESPN.

Weis is expected to take the job, but no firm agreement is in place.

Muschamp contacted the Chiefs this week for permission to talk to Weis, with the full intention of hiring the Chiefs' offensive coordinator and former Notre Dame coach, sources said. A Florida source said Weis would continue to coach the Chiefs into the AFC playoffs. Another source reiterated that Weis is expected to accept the job.

In his first year on the job, Muschamp has been focused on hiring an NFL offensive coordinator to install a pro-style offense and to assist with attracting pro-style quarterbacks and receivers to the Gators program, sources said.

Pat Dooley of the Gainesville Sun first said that Weis was the leading candidate for the Gators' offensive coordinator position.

Chiefs coach Todd Haley said Friday he was "unaware of anything" regarding Weis and Florida.

"It would be news to me," Haley said.

Chiefnj2
12-31-2010, 03:34 PM
Eff Haley and Weis for not keeping all this under wraps until after the season is over. A young team doesn't need any distractions at all.

ChiefsandO'sfan
12-31-2010, 03:35 PM
mortreport Chris Mortensen
On Weis, also have updated to report his exit was inevitable. Haley had strong oversight w offense & Cassel. Weis wants autonomy.

-King-
12-31-2010, 03:36 PM
Eff Haley and Weis for not keeping all this under wraps until after the season is over. A young team doesn't need any distractions at all.

Yeah, I'm sure they're the ones who leaked this info...

jspchief
12-31-2010, 03:36 PM
Eff Haley and Weis for not keeping all this under wraps until after the season is over. A young team doesn't need any distractions at all.Like as not it was someone at Florida. They have something to gain from the news getting out.

Sure-Oz
12-31-2010, 03:40 PM
I really hope that handshake business is past Mcdaniels, he should be the 1st person we contact

Tuckdaddy
12-31-2010, 03:41 PM
fyp bro

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:SB0UnyulabIflM:http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/5484/brofist64.jpg&t=1

The Bro Fist is coolest thing EVER! Good show sir!

DMAC
12-31-2010, 03:43 PM
On Weis, also have updated to report his exit was inevitable. Haley had strong oversight w offense & Cassel. Weis wants autonomy.

If that is true, wouldnt they have worked it out before hiring?

This is all just stupid.

Detoxing
12-31-2010, 03:46 PM

Nice way of saying they were down each other's throats in regards to the offense.

jspchief
12-31-2010, 03:50 PM
If that is true, wouldnt they have worked it out before hiring?

This is all just stupid.I'm sure they both had an idea of how it was supposed to go, and I'm also sure that if Haley changed his mind somewhere along the way, he wasn't going to hold back to please Weis.

Things don't always go as planned.

Pawnmower
12-31-2010, 03:53 PM
It is a little strange to me to make this big of a change on the heels of a huge turn-around....

I am pretty shocked...

beach tribe
12-31-2010, 03:58 PM
There's no NFL team that's hiring Weis as a HC. He actually has no desire to take on that responsibility.

But since Nick Wright said that, then there's more of a chance he'd leave for a college OC job.

I agree with everything you have said in this thread.

This is total BS. Weis accomplished his goal of "fixing the QB" it seems. No way he steps down now

Marcellus
12-31-2010, 04:02 PM
The crazy reality is that colleges can afford to pay an NFL OC comparable $ with a better lifestyle as far as hours go.

beach tribe
12-31-2010, 04:03 PM
Oh shit. I guess I should have read the last few pages. I cannot believe this shit.

KC native
12-31-2010, 04:08 PM
fuck florida

siberian khatru
12-31-2010, 04:08 PM
I never thought Weis would be here long anyway. In fact, I figured his health would force his retirement sooner rather than later. If it's this instead, so be it.

I would like to know just how much influence Haley has had on the offense this year.

RINGLEADER
12-31-2010, 04:09 PM
As much as I'd PREFER not to have Weis leave (especially at this particular moment), whoever is the new OC is being handed a young team with real talent. I don't think we'll have any trouble getting someone as good (or better) than Weis. It's not like we're going to change our offensive system or anything.

The only negative here is the timing and if we find out Haley is calling his own plays again.

Now, if Romeo was leaving, THEN I'd be pissed...

BigRedChief
12-31-2010, 04:12 PM
As much as I'd PREFER not to have Weis leave (especially at this particular moment), whoever is the new OC is being handed a young team with real talent. I don't think we'll have any trouble getting someone as good (or better) than Weis. It's not like we're going to change our offensive system or anything.

The only negative here is the timing and if we find out Haley is calling his own plays again.Belecheck and NE have OC's leave almost every year. They survive. It's the system. Find another OC that believes in the system.

SPATCH
12-31-2010, 04:14 PM
At least we will never have to see another god damn shotgun sprint draw again

RINGLEADER
12-31-2010, 04:16 PM
At least we will never have to see another god damn sprint draw again

Yeah, I never understood why they didn't lean on Charles more. I think Weis positioned Charles as the Kevin Faulk of the offense when in reality he had one of the most potent rushers in the entire league.

Molitoth
12-31-2010, 04:25 PM
I don't care if Weis leaves, but for f*cks sake, the timing of this announcement is extremly sh*tty.

Mr_Tomahawk
12-31-2010, 04:26 PM
Meh

As long as Crennel stays put...

Jamaal made Weiss look good...

booger
12-31-2010, 04:27 PM
Charlie said when he was hired that "this is Todd's deal, i'm just here to help steer the ship."

Haley had said in his pressers that they went back to the NY Jets era when so many current KC coaches were there and used that as the starting point of you could say going back to the roots. That's also Haleys roots and where he switched from scouting working under his dad to coaching and working under Parcells and Weis. Thats how they started off with the playbook also keeping things simple and adding as the season went along. They didn't run Weis's offense from ND or NE or Haley's from AZ or the offense when Haley was Passing Game Coordinator at Dallas. I'm sure there are plenty of similarities though.

From the cbs games that Gannon has called i think it's pretty clear he talks and has good access to Haley, Pioli, Weis, and Cassel. Something that stuck out to me and i don't recall exactly which game but it was somewhere in the week 5-8 range was that Haley was really excited that Cassel told him he was finally starting to fully envision what they wanted to do as an offense and how they wanted him to play. More than that it seemed that Cassel had let go of the McDaniels Pats offense he was so used to and also let go of last season and as Haley says frequently in his pressers there is more than one way to skin a cat, an exact phrase that Cassel used according to Gannon. Basically that they all were on the same page at a much higher level most importantly Matt so he could be compfortable and run the offense.

In that sense it might be a wiser move to hire someone to continue the offense and and not freelance or add very little of their own wrinkles. Another philisophical difference between Haley and McD is how denver changed the zone blocking scheme to more of a power scheme and went with bigger, bulkier OL.

Plus if Cassel is going to be the QB and it sure looks like it, and he has earned it in his play, they would be wise not to risk it if McD couldn't handle Haley breathing down his neck and running his offense not Josh's.

Back to Weis and why go to the same job just at the NCAA level: one example is a guy like Terry Shea. Not judging by their wins as Weis has the advantage in that department, but just wanting to be involved in the game in a level they were compfortable with. Shea now tutors Draft prospects each offseason leading up to the draft. That was his niche back to working with Bill Walsh. QB's, especially mechanics and the mental aspect of it. Weis probably likes the challenge of running a pro style offense in the NCAA which is so spread and gimic now plus the fact he won't be told what to do and can run his own show without the added BS of being HC. Kind of like the position Romeo is in now.

Bad guys posts on Weis never being OC for an offensive minded HC made a lot of sense to me.

Mr_Tomahawk
12-31-2010, 04:29 PM
I agree that the timing of this news is the worst part...I don't care about losing him, but what a shitacular time for the news to break.

The Bad Guy
12-31-2010, 04:30 PM

And here it is like I was saying earlier in the thread.

The common trend of all of Weis's prior bosses is they were defensive guys who were hands off the offense. They gave him full reign.

The Bad Guy
12-31-2010, 04:33 PM
Tampering rules?

He'd have to wait until both teams were eliminated for this to be an option as well. Plus, if they fire him, they can't get compensation. Similarly, if he quits, I don't think they can get compensation either. I've also never heard of a coordinator netting compensation.

If he quits, he's still under the Chiefs contract umbrella and can't take another job in the NFL without KC giving permission.

The Bad Guy
12-31-2010, 04:35 PM
One thing that Haley will be big on is continuity and bringing in someone who runs a similar offense. Read between the lines on this one but McDaniels is the likely target.

Garrett could be as well if he doesn't get another HC offer.

The Bad Guy
12-31-2010, 04:37 PM
I agree with everyone that Romeo would be a much bigger deal. Romeo's schemes have been exceptional.

He has what Weis wants, full control of his side of the ball.

I'm really pissed though that all this Weis talk is now clouding what should be the biggest moment we've had in forever. The spotlight heading into the playoffs next year.

beach tribe
12-31-2010, 04:38 PM
I would welcome this.Charlies play calling sucks.Also I would say Josh did get the best from Matt.Although I really cannot see Todd hiring Josh,I truely think they would knock each other out,lmao!

Cassel played well for NE, but he did not play better than he has the last half of this season. Not even close.

ChiefGator
12-31-2010, 04:39 PM
there is one, and only one reason [...] Weis and Haley don't get along.

Period.

That is it...

I just thought this was funny..

The Bad Guy
12-31-2010, 04:40 PM
Cassel played well for NE, but he did not play better than he has the last half of this season. Not even close.

Anyone saying Weis's playcalling sucked is in breakup denial.

ChiefGator
Charlie said when he was hired that "this is Todd's deal, i'm just here to help steer the ship."...

Great posts Booger... Took me a while to read the FIRST one, but both your posts on this thread are a great addition..

beach tribe
I agree with everyone that Romeo would be a much bigger deal. Romeo's schemes have been exceptional.

I'm really pissed though that all this Weis talk is now clouding what should be the biggest moment we've had in forever. The spotlight heading into the playoffs next year.

Agreed. Why TF did this shit have to make it out? I'll bet Pioli is PISSED TF Off.

beach tribe
12-31-2010, 04:42 PM
Anyone saying Weis's playcalling sucked is in breakup denial.

I just don't get where they come up with this shit.

Some people seriously value their own opinion, and football acumen WAY too much.

wheeler08
12-31-2010, 04:46 PM
I for one would be upset if Charlie left, that makes no dam sense for him. And the talk of McDaniels replacing him sounds even crazier.

RINGLEADER
12-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Agreed. Why TF did this shit have to make it out? I'll bet Pioli is PISSED TF Off.

I doubt it -- if he didn't want to give them permission he could have denied it.

This probably has something to do with Weis telling them that he a) couldn't take the grind of the NFL, b) wanted more control than Haley was willing to cede, or c) something completely different that no one in the media is ever going to consider because it probably is personal and makes too much sense.

But yeah, kinda sucks that the attention will be on whether or not this will make us turn into the 2007 Chiefs. As I said before, we have a solid, young, team and there are many coordinators who will shake loose who would LOVE to have the players we have to gameplan with...

The Bad Guy
12-31-2010, 04:48 PM

Pioli knew this was coming if he granted permission.

Mizzou_8541
12-31-2010, 04:50 PM
Wait a sec...I'm really late here and don't want to read the whole thread. Weiss is going to Florida to be the OC, and Josh McDaniels may replace him? If true, that is bizarre on several levels.

RINGLEADER
I for one would be upset if Charlie left, that makes no dam sense for him. And the talk of McDaniels replacing him sounds even crazier.

Yeah, because hiring the OC that helped Cassel get to 11-5 with the Patriots or who went undefeated in the regular season or set the single-season scoring record using the same system that we're essentially running would just be stupid. :rolleyes:

booger

i agree. Now that their in the playoffs i am excited as heck, its been a long time and of course i want them to win it all. They are riding a good karma and very positive streak right now mentally as a whole group and don't need the distraction. They haven't had one all year, nothing like years past.

It doesn't matter to me though, this team will handle it better than a Herm and Carl led team would. Just gonna sit back and enjoy this ride because with or without weis next year this team has been an awesome suprise this year and will continue to grow.

Happy new year.:thumb:

LaChapelle
12-31-2010, 04:55 PM
Bud
Weis
Er frog

booger
12-31-2010, 04:59 PM
Great posts Booger... Took me a while to read the FIRST one, but both your posts on this thread are a great addition..

Yea this news hit me like a big thud. Didn't expect it and don't like the timing. Taking a bit to think though it does make sense for him personally and professionally. If they don't think it's a good fit all it does is add stress and strain their friendship. Just makes too much sense for him to coach how he wants because he has been through the dynesty in NE with the SB wins and got a chance to coach his alma matter/dream job.

Can't do a damn thing about the timing either once you really think about it. Muschamp is a rookie HC under pressure and wants to make a great hire. Huge get for him if this is all true. The more they wait to get names out the more impatient the fans get and they are nothing without the fans and recruits.

Happy new year.

The Bad Guy
12-31-2010, 05:03 PM
Yea this news hit me like a big thud. Didn't expect it and don't like the timing. Taking a bit to think though it does make sense for him personally and professionally. If they don't think it's a good fit all it does is add stress and strain their friendship. Just makes too much sense for him to coach how he wants because he has been through the dynesty in NE with the SB wins and got a chance to coach his alma matter/dream job.

Can't do a damn thing about the timing either once you really think about it. Muschamp is a rookie HC under pressure and wants to make a great hire. Huge get for him if this is all true. The more they wait to get names out the more impatient the fans get and they are nothing without the fans and recruits.

Happy new year.

Happy New Year to you as well.

I agree, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I'm shocked because I was told 100% this wasn't happening earlier in the day. My guy hasn't responded to me after he said things are changing, but I know he's surprised as well.

Everyone knew that Weis and Haley would have personality conflicts, but never did I really think that Weis was so power hungry that he'd bail to run his entire own operation.

LocoChiefsFan
12-31-2010, 05:06 PM
I'm reading on twitter may not be true. Some guy claiming to work with Muschamps brother says it is NOT true. Waiting for more info.........

The Bad Guy
12-31-2010, 05:07 PM
I'm reading on twitter may not be true. Some guy claiming to work with Muschamps brother says it is NOT true. Waiting for more info.........

Post that.

RINGLEADER
12-31-2010, 05:08 PM

I agree, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I'm shocked because I was told 100% this wasn't happening earlier in the day. My guy hasn't responded to me after he said things are changing, but I know he's surprised as well.

Everyone knew that Weis and Haley would have personality conflicts, but never did I really think that Weis was so power hungry that he'd bail to run his entire own operation.

I don't think we know this yet, but if it comes to pass that this is the reason it won't surprise me either. I'm just glad I'm out of KC so I don't have to hear Keitzman and Jack Harry and the rest of the KC media make bigger fools of themselves than they already are...

But the fact that Weis didn't come out an hour later pretty much confirms it IMO...we shall see...

The Bad Guy
12-31-2010, 05:11 PM
I don't think we know this yet, but if it comes to pass that this is the reason it won't surprise me either. I'm just glad I'm out of KC so I don't have to hear Keitzman and Jack Harry and the rest of the KC media make bigger fools of themselves than they already are...

But the fact that Weis didn't come out an hour later pretty much confirms it IMO...we shall see...

I don't think it's a done deal yet, but I think the silence is curious. But then again, it could be because it's NYE.

booger
12-31-2010, 05:11 PM

One thing that is weird to me is he is going to also need his knee operated on probably a couple days after the season ends. His rehab throws a wrench into moving south and moving the family and all that. He can call recruits and not meet in person so i understand that part of it but i assume he would have a good amount of control to position assistants on offense and they need as much time together as possible.

I mean Romeo put off coming to KC(i don't know this but a safe assumption, IMO) because of the hip replacement. I don't know the extent of Charlies knee inj but any rehab with him is going to be a struggle with his weight issues.

Could be tricky situation for the gators.

JD10367
12-31-2010, 05:14 PM
And here it is like I was saying earlier in the thread.

The common trend of all of Weis's prior bosses is they were defensive guys who were hands off the offense. They gave him full reign.

When Weis was OC of the Jets, Parcells (HC at the time) got so pissed at one point that he yanked Weis's playcalling duties.

Weis is a definite Type-A personality (loud, foulmouthed, probably thinks he knows more than he really does, pushy). How he survived with guys like Parcells and Belichick I don't know. But Haley seems to be in the same personality mold. Weis needs to OC somewhere where the HC sucks and will let Weis push him around and run the offense. Maybe San Diego. :D

KcMizzou
12-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Babb has some doubts...

kentbabb Kent Babb
The more I think about Weis-to-Florida, the less sense it makes. Haven't seen any evidence this year about a feud b/w Haley/Weis.

kentbabb Kent Babb
Not one that would drive Weis into a step down, anyway. Some words in training camp, and I'm sure some backstage drama. But nothing huge.

kentbabb Kent Babb
I'm not sure this isn't the work of a very good coaches' agent, and nothing more. Maybe I'm wrong, but the move to UF would be bizarre.

kentbabb Kent Babb
Not saying Weis will definitely be back in KC next year, but unless UF is paying the dog out of him, why take a step back after 1 yr in NFL?

kentbabb Kent Babb
However, cannot imagine Haley/Pioli are happy this has gotten out there now, of all times.

notorious
12-31-2010, 05:16 PM
I would love to see McDaniels be the OC. He would stick it up Denver's ass twice a year.

It would be very sweet for Denver fans to see Josh McD in the booth at the Superbowl coaching for their bitter rival.

That kind of shit would scar them forever. Elway-like hatred would be created.

JD10367
12-31-2010, 05:19 PM
With so many media outlets reporting stuff like "Weis is expected to accept the position", there's obviously more here than just smoke.

For those angry with the timing, it may not have been by Pioli/Weis/Haley's choice. If indeed the Chiefs gave Florida permission to talk to Weis, they knew about it. The news was bound to leak out eventually. Look at it this way, better to have it happen now, before the final game of the season, and NOT after Sunday when they're trying to prepare for the playoff game.

booger
12-31-2010, 05:22 PM
Babb has some doubts...

kentbabb Kent Babb
The more I think about Weis-to-Florida, the less sense it makes. Haven't seen any evidence this year about a feud b/w Haley/Weis.

kentbabb Kent Babb
Not one that would drive Weis into a step down, anyway. Some words in training camp, and I'm sure some backstage drama. But nothing huge.

kentbabb Kent Babb
I'm not sure this isn't the work of a very good coaches' agent, and nothing more. Maybe I'm wrong, but the move to UF would be bizarre.

kentbabb Kent Babb
Not saying Weis will definitely be back in KC next year, but unless UF is paying the dog out of him, why take a step back after 1 yr in NFL?

kentbabb Kent Babb
However, cannot imagine Haley/Pioli are happy this has gotten out there now, of all times.

thanks for posting this man.:thumb:

He makes a good point about the agents in NCAA. I don't know who was has but Parcells and many of his coaches have Jimmy Sexton as an agent without looking it up I wouldn't be suprised if he is Weis's. Sexton has tons of college coaches as clients and might be using weis to get a gig for another Sexton client. Just a guess. Without contracts and being able to move on to the next job for more money unlike the NFL needing permission and actually making them stick to the terms of the contract NCAA and coaching movement is outrageous. Can't blame anyone for going for more money to them and their families but its rough on players/recruits fans and coaches/support staff unless they go too.

Happy new year

DJ's left nut
Well, probably better start backtracking on some of our McDumbass statements right about now...

chief52
Holts just said on ESPN that he is totally shocked that an OC would leave the Chiefs and go to the NCAA especially with all the recruiting!!!

I think that answered the question about the OC not having to recruit.

tomahawk kid
12-31-2010, 05:26 PM
To me, this sniffs of an agent looking for another payday.

Could be wrong, but I don't know why Charlie would make this move.

JD10367
12-31-2010, 05:29 PM
Holts just said on ESPN that he is totally shocked that an OC would leave the Chiefs and go to the NCAA especially with all the recruiting!!!

They then followed that up with a question for Holtz about his New Year's Eve plans, and he said he might try to catch Benny Goodman or the Glenn Miller Orchestra, and maybe see when the Hindenberg was landing in New Jersey. So I'm not sure Holtz is the best authority on the subject.

DBOSHO
12-31-2010, 05:30 PM
Holts just said on ESPN that he is totally schocked that an OC would leave the Chhhhiefs and go to the NChhAA eschpechially with all the recruiting!!!

Fyp

The Bad Guy
12-31-2010, 05:30 PM
To me, this sniffs of an agent looking for another payday.

Could be wrong, but I don't know why Charlie would make this move.

That doesn't hold much water.

He's paid 2 mill a year from the Chiefs and has the buyout money from ND, which was a boat load.

booger
12-31-2010, 05:31 PM
I would love to see McDaniels be the OC. He would stick it up Denver's ass twice a year.

It would be very sweet for Denver fans to see Josh McD in the booth at the Superbowl coaching for their bitter rival.

That kind of shit would scar them forever. Elway-like hatred would be created.

I would be just fine with that if he wouldn't let his ego get in the way. Pioli/Haley were smart enough not to tear down just because they could. They kept talent from the previous regime simply because they are good players and they didn't care who drafted them. That arrogant little prick tore down a pretty good roster(i will always love him for that) and i don't want that attitude anywhere near this team and what has been established.

That's where the unknown comes into play though. Does become like belichik and hone his craft and wait for the right fit or does he act like a Martz and wonder why no one wants to hire an arrogant ass or Billick for that matter.

I just don't know how he has taken getting fired and if it changed his perspective in a good way etc. The young fella is very bright and talented with his entire NFL background in the same type of system so should the need arise for a OC if the Weis story is true he is a logical fit potentially. I just would hope they proceed with caution and think it through long and maticuously.

happy new year

The Bad Guy
If Florida is paying him over 2 mill a year to be the OC, you bet your ass they are expecting him to hit the recruiting trail and lure offensive recruits to UF.

JD10367
That doesn't hold much water.

He's paid 2 mill a year from the Chiefs and has the buyout money from ND, which was a boat load.

Hey, you think hookers and blow are expensive? You should try keeping up a donut habit. The man needs multiple incomes.