PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The Tomahawk Chop

Count Alex's Wins
12-31-2010, 09:47 PM
I'm hearing Florida State playing and their stupid fans are doing that every 5 minutes. It's getting REALLY old. I'm glad it only pops up at Arrowhead, what, 3-4 times a game at the most?

Anyway, who started it? Us, or Florida State?

WebGem
12-31-2010, 09:49 PM
I don't know but I'm gonna guess FSU. BTW the Braves do it also, so coulda been them.

A similar question though: When did the TD chant start? (We're gonna beat the hell outta you) Someone once told me the Chiefs stole that from Alabama and I forgot until just now and never looked into it. That person is sort of an idiot though, anyone know the history of this one?

Wallcrawler
12-31-2010, 09:50 PM
The Redskins

luv
12-31-2010, 09:52 PM
It's the FSU War Chant, so I'd guess them.

RustShack
12-31-2010, 09:55 PM
It was the greatest leaving that MNF game and they were doing that shit in the walkways and beating on the side of the ramps.

kysirsoze
12-31-2010, 09:56 PM
FSU. We stole it. So did the Braves.

KC Tattoo
12-31-2010, 10:00 PM
That chant never gets old if you Bleed Red & Gold

diveonthefloor31
12-31-2010, 10:00 PM
FSU. We stole it. So did the Braves.

Absolutely correct.

Baconeater
12-31-2010, 10:05 PM
It was the greatest leaving that MNF game and they were doing that shit in the walkways and beating on the side of the ramps.
This. But after the Denver game hardly anyone was doing the chant, everyone was just pounding on that steel cladding all the way down. They had kind of a trippy rhythm going with it though.

RustShack
12-31-2010, 10:07 PM
This. But after the Denver game hardly anyone was doing the chant, everyone was just pounding on that steel cladding all the way down. They had kind of a trippy rhythm going with it though.

It was pretty sweet. Someone just hit it once and I was like man that was pretty loud then I did it a few times then everyone just went crazy doing it.

prhom
12-31-2010, 10:09 PM
I don't know but I'm gonna guess FSU. BTW the Braves do it also, so coulda been them.

A similar question though: When did the TD chant start? (We're gonna beat the hell outta you) Someone once told me the Chiefs stole that from Alabama and I forgot until just now and never looked into it. That person is sort of an idiot though, anyone know the history of this one?

I'm guessing we did steal it from alabama, but I'm basing that solely on the fact that college teams seem to start more of these things than pro teams. Also, a rap remix of their song is the background to a Javier Arenas highlight film I watched after we drafted him.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y6ZmVKwv5oc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y6ZmVKwv5oc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Bob Dole
12-31-2010, 10:11 PM
Hate it.

Bowser
12-31-2010, 10:13 PM
Am I the only one that thinks the thing is outdated and overplayed?

Hate it.

Guess not.

KcMizzou
12-31-2010, 10:14 PM
Hate it.I tend to agree. I mean, it's not as bad as "the wave"... but I'm not a big fan.

kysirsoze
12-31-2010, 10:14 PM
I'm guessing we did steal it from alabama, but I'm basing that solely on the fact that college teams seem to start more of these things than pro teams. Also, a rap remix of their song is the background to a Javier Arenas highlight film I watched after we drafted him.

We didn't. FSU.

Baconeater
12-31-2010, 10:17 PM
It was pretty sweet. Someone just hit it once and I was like man that was pretty loud then I did it a few times then everyone just went crazy doing it.

Well it definitely caught on.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ceYPvSGg8FU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ceYPvSGg8FU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Saulbadguy
12-31-2010, 10:20 PM
I love it. We stole it from FSU, but I love it.

prhom
12-31-2010, 10:30 PM
We didn't. FSU.

Sorry, I was talking about the "We're gonna beat the hell out of you" part, not the tomahawk chop.

kysirsoze
12-31-2010, 10:32 PM
Sorry, I was talking about the "We're gonna beat the hell out of you" part, not the tomahawk chop.

THAT we got from a child molester.

KcMizzou
12-31-2010, 10:34 PM
THAT we got from a child molester.Nah, Gary Glitter gave us the song... we made that part up on our own.

BigMeatballDave
12-31-2010, 10:36 PM
Anyway, who started it? Us, or Florida State?
LOL Seriously? Seminole fans started that shit waaay before Chiefs fans stole it. Personally, I hate it. Corny as fuck.

kysirsoze
12-31-2010, 10:37 PM
Nah, Gary Glitter gave us the song... we made that part up on our own.

True. Although thinking about the two parts in conjunction is a little disturbing actually.

KCrockaholic
12-31-2010, 10:58 PM
I love all of the Chiefs chants. It's all part of the incredible atmosphere that makes Arrowhead intimidating to opposing teams.

AllThingsKC
12-31-2010, 11:03 PM

I'm not sure who started that chant, but it is also used by several teams in college football. Here's one from Oklahoma:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HoejspHojLM" frameborder="0"></iframe>

KcMizzou
12-31-2010, 11:06 PM
I love all of the Chiefs chants. It's all part of the incredible atmosphere that makes Arrowhead intimidating to opposing teams.I participate in all of it. (I'll never, ever do the wave "though")

But I think the main thing you can do to make Arrowhead intimidating to opposing teams, is scream your balls off at the appropriate times.

KCrockaholic
12-31-2010, 11:08 PM
I'm not sure who started that chant, but it is also used by several teams in college football. Here's one from Oklahoma:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HoejspHojLM" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Meh. The Chiefs are the absolute BEST "beat the hell outta you" chant.

We know how to do it with attitude. That was like watching pre-schoolers talk back at their teacher.

prhom
12-31-2010, 11:09 PM

We do it way better at Arrowhead! BTW, I feel honored that you'd use your 8th post in over 4 years to respond with that video.

KCrockaholic
12-31-2010, 11:09 PM
I participate in all of it. (I'll never, ever do the wave "though")

But I think the main thing you can do to make Arrowhead intimidating to opposing teams, is scream your balls off at the appropriate times.

The wave is the lamest thing ever invented.

kysirsoze
12-31-2010, 11:10 PM
The wave is the lamest thing ever invented.

The wave is pretty lame at a baseball game. It is completely fucking stupid at a football game.

KCrockaholic
12-31-2010, 11:12 PM
The wave is pretty lame at a baseball game. It is completely ****ing stupid at a football game.

I consider it an insult to the team that is playing.

kysirsoze
12-31-2010, 11:15 PM
I consider it an insult to the team that is playing.

If you're at a Chiefs game and you are paying enough attention to the wave to do it correctly.... fuck you.

Demonpenz
01-01-2011, 12:05 AM
WINNARS LOSERS WINNARS LOSERS US THEM US THEM US THEM

sportsman1
01-01-2011, 01:58 AM
Nothing compares to Our version of Beating the hell out of you. TCU marching band has always impressed me with theirs but that is about it. As far as tomahawk chop I say leave that to FSU and The Braves.

FAX
01-01-2011, 02:09 AM
I once attempted to bring out the Trying To Start A Chainsaw Swing And Yank at a game, but it never caught on. People just started doing the Wave. Up. Down. Up Down. Looked a lot like a Catholic Mass, to me.

FAX

KC native
01-01-2011, 02:12 AM
Just FYI, everyone does the beat the hell outta you. Even TCU does it. The execution at Arrowhead is the best though.

Mojo Jojo
01-01-2011, 02:33 AM
Here are the ugly truths....
The Chop is FSU...first time played at Arrowhead was by the NWMSU marching band...band director was a FSU grad.

"Beat the hell out of you" locally started at KU.

Yelling "First Down!" locally started at KSU.

All these things are just copied from someone else.

ChiefGator
01-01-2011, 06:17 AM
As a die-hard Gator fan and a die-hard Chiefs fan.. I have to say, the Tomahawk chant is real hard for me to endure. Just always reminds me of FSU. When I go to Chiefs games, I tend to find myself doing the gator chomp, just because the tomahawk pisses me off.

Slainte
01-01-2011, 06:34 AM
The whole thing is stupid and actually causes physical pain when I hear it.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-01-2011, 06:50 AM
The whole thing is stupid and actually causes physical pain when I hear it.

Then be a Bears fan; I hear that farting chili-fries in synchronicity is their new calling card!

reschief
01-01-2011, 09:21 AM
"Were going to beat the hell out of you" was called The Low Brass Cheer and goes back to at least the early 1980's. I recall doing it at Shocker Basketball games back then. The Prez of WSU tried to ban it as "too offensive" to the opponent team. . .of course, that made students want to do it more, obviously. Not sure who actually started it.

POND_OF_RED
01-01-2011, 09:43 AM
The Chop is FSU...first time played at Arrowhead was by the NWMSU marching band...band director was a FSU grad.

I highly doubt "Beat the hell out of you" started at a basketball game.

chiefqueen
01-01-2011, 09:48 AM

Balt. fans also chant "You suck" during the "Hey" cheer.

ForeverChiefs58
01-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Here is the official answer from Wikipedia:
The War Chant is modern take on the traditional 'Chant de Guerre' or a marching or battle song such as the Marseillaise.

The All Blacks Rugby team famously perform a war Haka derived from Maori tradition.

People at schools and colleges adopt a similar tradition, such as the Florida State Seminoles, specifically its athletic teams.

Florida State Seminoles fans began the tradition of continuing a band melody known as "Massacre" after the band had stopped playing during a home football game versus Auburn University on October 13, 1984. The fans also started a gesture involving a repetitious bend of the arm at the elbow (initially following an FSU first down), playing on the referee's signal for a first down while also eventually being understood as symbolizing a tomahawk swinging down. The gesture was embraced by fans as an integral part of the War Chant, and by the 1986 football season the war chant was one of the most widely recognized Seminole traditions.

The tradition followed Atlanta Braves baseball player, and former Florida State football and baseball player, Deion Sanders to Atlanta where it was adopted and renamed the "tomahawk chop." Next, the NFL football team, the Kansas City Chiefs adopted it after hearing the Northwest Missouri State marching band perform the war chant while the Chiefs players were warming up for a game against the San Diego Chargers. The music would later be used by local grocery chain Price Chopper as part of its "Chiefs 'n' Chopper" ad campaign, and fans would also chant the slogan during the song. In recent years, the Braves have played a clip of the Florida State Marching Chiefs' playing the chant song during games.

The University of Illinois also has a cheer called the "War Chant." However, Illinois' War Chant is different in that it does not involve the same gesture or melody used by the Florida State Seminoles and the Atlanta Braves. The Illini's version involves a faster paced version of the song with a slightly different melody, and clapping above one's head to every drum beat.

English Aviva Premiership Rugby Union team Exeter Chiefs use the "Tomahawk Chop" as their run on music after fans started chanting it at games, leading to the players requesting the club use it.

Sydney FC's The Cove also do "The Chop." It was started spontaneously during a match when the Cove drummer start the drum beat and fellow Cove members quickly caught on with the chant.

The "Tomahawk Chop" even made its way to Europe as it was frequently used by the Berlin Thunder before the demise of the NFL Europe league.

The Turkish soccer club ultrAslan Galatsaray began using it. Which has been met with criticism because of their claims of it being ancient Hittite.[citation needed]

The University of Michigan football fans use it at home games when Michigan's defense forces a punt or 4th down.

ControversyMain article: Native American mascot controversy
The War Chant and Tomahawk Chop have been denounced by critics as perpetuating racist stereotypes against Native Americans.

[edit] Other usesThe war chant was used in a scene near the end of Mel Brooks's 1993 comedy Robin Hood: Men in Tights. (It was simply called "the chop" in the film.)

The war chant was sampled in Nelly's 2003 hit song "Shake Ya Tailfeather," which was featured on the Bad Boys II Soundtrack Even though they were SF giants fans.

The war chant is used by fans of the Turkish soccer team Trabzonspor, Galatasaray S.K. as well as fans of A-League club Sydney FC.

The war chant is used by fans of the Taiwanese professional baseball team Brother Elephants of CPBL league.

The war chant is used as a running gag in the movie Balls Out: Gary the Tennis Coach.

The war chant is used as part of a popular new Kansas City Chiefs chant called "Chop It Up" by Tulsa, OK band Sownds. Morgan Ganem, vocalist for the band, recorded and customized his own rendition of the intense war chant.

[edit] See also Racism

bevischief
01-01-2011, 09:55 AM

Yes it was.

reschief
01-01-2011, 10:04 AM
I highly doubt "Beat the hell out of you" started at a basketball game.

From 1988: Low Brass Cheer rallies Shockers
0 Comments
BY FRED MANN
The Wichita Eagle
Highlights of the WSU-Tulsa rivalry Editor's note: This story originally was published on Feb. 19, 1988.

To that long list of competitive, heart-stopping, well-played games in the storied history of the Wichita State-Tulsa basketball rivalry, don't add this one.

To the very short list of basketball games that were turned around by a pep band, go ahead and make another entry.

On second thought, maybe it's too easy to make a big deal out of the role the famous "Low Brass Cheer" played in WSU's 65-59 victory over the Golden Hurricane on Thursday night. Just because the Shockers were trailing by eight points in the first half when a renegade group of student musicians struck up the banned tune at the 6:09 mark, then promptly hit a couple of shots, got a couple of steals, and rallied back into the game practically before the cheer's echo faded, it's probably giving the band too much credit to say they had anything to do with it. None of the players on the court were carrying tubas. They just looked like they were.

Both teams put on a sloppy show, competing with each other for most bricked shots, blown layups, comical turnovers and pointless fouls.

WSU was outshot and outrebounded. But not out-cheered. The Shockers had the crowd on their side. And, yes, hand it to the outlaw band, which was tucked away furtively high up in the stands, for putting them there. As usual, it was touch and go at the start, with the fans sitting quietly as the team struggled. The band was the game's MVP.

''I heard em," said WSU forward Dwayne Praylow. "Seems like whenever they play that, the whole crowd picks up."

And Sasha Radunovich turns on. Radunovich drilled a three-point shot somewhere in the middle of "We're gonna beat the hell out of you."

Radunovich, who finished with a team-high 16 points, always responds to a noisy crowd. He gets carried away by it and forgets himself. "That's when I play the best," he said. "When I don't think too much."

Don't forget, fans, the last thing you want out there is a guy who thinks. This may be the best argument in support of reinstating the cheer.

For this season, it might be too late, though, with WSU about to hit the road for the stretch drive. The only home game WSU has left is Radford. And, as Shocker freshman John Cooper pointed out, "On the road, we're not going to have the band there."

Maybe they could tape the cheer, take it with them, and put it on their Walkmans when they walk onto the courts.

As for the rest of the game, forget it. A lowlights film classic. WSU struggled against Tulsa's zones and man-to-man defenses. Not that they were surprised by them. "We only had four days to prepare," cracked Shocker head coach Eddie Fogler.

''I knew it wouldn't be easy. I don't think either team played particularly well . . . they're a very athletic team and a lot better than their record indicates. After Bradley, they're probably the most athletic team (in the Missouri Valley Conference). But you need more than running and jumping; you need guys who can shoot."

Tulsa, young and awkward with their physical gifts, almost made you miss the good old days; the days of guys like Paul Pressey, Herbert Johnson, Steve Harris and others from the Golden Hurricane's golden past. You even sort of longed for Nolan Richardson's polka-dots.

Tracy Moore, the star holdover from last year, misses those days, too, and guys like David Moss and the Rahillys. "It's really frustrating," said Moore, a senior from Oklahoma City, who led Tulsa with 16 points. "I'm holding it inside, trying to do the best I can. I try to force a lot of shots, do too much."

''They can play," he said of his teammates, who are 7-17 and losers of their last 12 road games going back to last year. "They're just not sure of themselves. Once they get some confidence, they'll be all right."

Then maybe this rivalry will take off again.

Until then, strike up the band.

GloryDayz
01-01-2011, 10:08 AM
I guess anybody can trace anything they do back to somebody else. Who started the act of clapping? I'm sure some Indian tribe had the chant going on before FSU, so meh! I'm sure somebody could claim we stole the act of cheering from the Romans in the Circus Maximus. Who knows, maybe the cavemen started that for when they downed a dinosaur.. Wait around long enough and somebody will say "home of the CHIEFS" came from somewhere else too..

I happen to like it and I'm sure we'll keep doing it.

cardken
01-01-2011, 12:19 PM

I would say doing these is a sincere form of flattery. Next to nothing is original, it's how it's done is what makes it your own. We still own "Home Of The CHIEFS" HooRah! Go Chiefs!!!!!