PDA

View Full Version : Life Do me a favor... when you call for tech support

pr_capone
01-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Don't be a complete dick to the person on the other end unless they give you reason to be. They did not disconnect your service & they aren't fucking with your account for giggles. 9 times out of 10, there is nothing more they would like to do than fix your problem so they can move on to the next call.

What a fucking shitty way to start the new year. Most of the people I have spoken with today have been complete assholes. My favorite part is when I actually fix their problem, which turned out to be caused by their own dumbassery, there is no apology for their rudeness... just more self importance and bitching.

Today can go fist itself.

LaChapelle
01-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Serve me well
and be pleased I let you live

BigRedChief
01-01-2011, 11:13 AM
It is what it is. Not going to change any tme soon. I did my time at a help desk. It's not a pleasant place to work because most of the issues are their own dumbassery. But, you can't call them on it.

KILLER_CLOWN
01-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Tell the rude ones off, and let them know you don't need them but rather they need you. If grief is continued just ask them kindly to go Die in a fire.

Shaid
01-01-2011, 11:14 AM
USER=ID10T

DaFace
01-01-2011, 11:15 AM
How long do people have to wait before talking to you? I'm 100x more pissy when calling tech support when I have to wait on the line for an hour than when I get right through. Not sure if that's the case with your organization, but wait times are at fault for pissy people as much as the issues themselves, I'd bet.

Bacon Cheeseburger
01-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Hell, people should just be thankful to hear an American voice at the other end of the line when they call any business for anything.

SLAG
01-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Oh and if you log a help desk Ticket please do not use the words:

"Please Advise" or "ASAP" - because then we just laugh at you

pr_capone
01-01-2011, 11:21 AM
How long do people have to wait before talking to you? I'm 100x more pissy when calling tech support when I have to wait on the line for an hour than when I get right through. Not sure if that's the case with your organization, but wait times are at fault for pissy people as much as the issues themselves, I'd bet.

It's about a 15-20 minute wait ATM caused by a major outage due to some assclown driving into a pole.

Even then, there is no call to cussing a rep out because you don't want to move an ethernet connection. And when you do, and it begins working, at the very least acknowledge that I knew what I was doing.

Bearcat
01-01-2011, 11:24 AM
I hate end users.

Chiefs Rool
01-01-2011, 11:25 AM
It's about a 15-20 minute wait ATM caused by a major outage due to some assclown driving into a pole.

Even then, there is no call to cussing a rep out because you don't want to move an ethernet connection. And when you do, and it begins working, at the very least acknowledge that I knew what I was doing.

I worked at mcdonalds in high school and the people would scream and yell at you for anything. My favorite stupid customer was this fat lady who ordered a big mac with extra sauce through the drive thru, then 10 minutes later she walks into the place with her sandwich all over her shirt and starts screaming "LOOK AT ME! I WAS DRIVING AND TRYING TO EAT MY SANDWICH AND YOU PEOPLE MADE IT SO MESSY AND I GOT IT ALL OVER MYSELF!"

I was like "ya, you probably shouldn't drive and eat at the same time" ROFLROFLROFLROFL

KILLER_CLOWN
You can get customer service tips from the touchtone terrorists. If someone calls in and hears Jimbob or Blade they will most likely hang up and solve it by themselves.

DaFace

Is there a message for people that says "some asshat drove into a pole and caused an outage" or do they have to wait just to hear that?

pr_capone
01-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Is there a message for people that says "some asshat drove into a pole and caused an outage" or do they have to wait just to hear that?

There is an automated message stating that hold times are longer than normal due to an outage in the area.

JD10367
01-01-2011, 11:30 AM
"I hooked up this stupid computer you people sold me, but it's not working right! I'm stepping on the footpedal and it's not turning on!"

"That's the mouse, you fucking ignoramus."

Rudy lost the toss
01-01-2011, 11:51 AM
If only you could neg rep them...

Feels good, man

pr_capone
01-01-2011, 11:51 AM
If only you could neg rep them...

Feels good, man

ROFL

Bowser
01-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Worthy of the repost, especially here....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W8_Kfjo3VjU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W8_Kfjo3VjU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

GloryDayz
01-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Interesting topic to look at from both sides, but I’ll try.

I think if the id10t users/customers had a number to call and talked to a human being who could help after a mere two rings, wasn't lied to, and somebody actually fixed their problem most of the time, they'd be a lot less assholish to the people on the other end of the line who seems to say "we're sorry for the inconveninece" 200 time an hour. Further, admit there's a problem, stop putting people on hold, and when they say "nothing's changed" assume that nothing has. How many levels of hightechery do they need to go through to figure out that when the cable modem goes out right after a loud lightening strike (that shook the whole house) that a replacement is in order!! Yeah and when I say I've taken “my” router out of it by directly connecting a “no way it could have been affected” laptop to the modem’s Ethernet port, that's further evidence that I might A) know what I'm talking about and B) we might be able to move on to step 27. Oh, and you shouldn't need to go to a level-ten engineer to confirm that there are indeed a limited number of MACs that the modem will accept (who knows/cares why!!), just flush it (or whatever you do). And lastly, don't play dumb that "I must be fine if we're online chatting" after I've explained three times that I'm "online" through a mobile broadband connection. And it sure would be nice if the cable provider’s Interwebs page – the page you can get to from outside the provider’s network - was willing to show the outage areas!! I mean, what’s the point of the page if I have to be connected to their network to get to it? Their pride runs a little too deep!!! Those of us with mobile broadband connections might be able to answer our own question and know "you have technicians working on it." And last (again) when the cable it out at all of the houses in the neighborhood there IS an outage in my area, and you SHOULD show it on your Interweb page!! LOL, did you think the entire neighborhood just turned our modems off at the same time? And if you can’t see that with your NMS, buy a better one, we’re paying good coin for this cr@p...

On the flip side, people need to understand that the person answering the phone can only do so much. It's not their fault that only 5 people are working when there needs to be 55. As for being run through the ACD ringer, that's not their fault either. It all boils down to the ACD system not getting sick, not taking breaks, bla bla bla...

OK, I'm over that!! :thumb:

Pawnmower
01-01-2011, 12:02 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AmD_8cBqhW0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AmD_8cBqhW0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Pawnmower
01-01-2011, 12:05 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Q8DriPCX2o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Q8DriPCX2o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

chasedude
01-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Sounds like you need to tell them they have an ID-ten-T error and it's beyond your field of computer miracles. Put them on hold till they hang up.

Tech work, I found, is one the least appreciative jobs. It gets worse all the time the more computers are acclimated in every minute of every day of our lives. It gets harder to unplug and like a drug you get the shakes and emotion takes over rational thought. Bam! Anger!!!!!!

I feel your pain!

ReynardMuldrake
01-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Tech support is much easier when you have a manager that actually has your back and will tell a user when they're out of line. If you have the kind of job that expects you to take verbal abuse and general rudeness with a smile, I would look for a job in a better environment. I've done those kind of jobs before, and I wouldn't go back.

Pawnmower
01-01-2011, 12:21 PM

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W8_Kfjo3VjU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W8_Kfjo3VjU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

awesome!

GloryDayz
01-01-2011, 12:32 PM
LOL..

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2EP1NAs-Ad0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2EP1NAs-Ad0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Bearcat
01-01-2011, 12:33 PM
I might A) know what I'm talking about and B) we might be able to move on to step 27.

When I moved into my current place, they basically guaranteed 10mbps... we were getting about 2 on a good day, and around 0.5-1 on most nights. I got after them several times, and this was one call:

Me: We're getting a download speed of about .5mbps every night, and since we were told it was 10, I'm wondering if we're capped at something else or if we're really sharing that with the rest of the complex?

Bangalore: Okay, what internet browser do you use?

Me: :spock: Firefox, but that doesn't really-

Bangalore: Please type www.[internet speed test site].com and-

Me: I've done that, which is how I know I'm getting .5mbps.

Bangalore: If you could just go to this site...

Me: Okay, it says I'm getting .4mbps.

Bangalore: If you can please click on the Internet Speed Test button...

Me: :facepalm: .4mbps

Bangalore: What does the 'kb' say?

Me: Multiply it by 1024, but it's still 20 times slower than advertised. [repeats original questions]

Bangalore: Uh, well, could you please go to start, then click run-

Me: Do you want me to ping something? Can you just answer my questions instead?

Bangalore: Yes sir, I'd like you to ping [something]

Me: :facepalm: I'll talk to someone tomorrow, kthxbye.

GloryDayz
01-01-2011, 12:38 PM
When I moved into my current place, they basically guaranteed 10mbps... we were getting about 2 on a good day, and around 0.5-1 on most nights. I got after them several times, and this was one call:

Me: We're getting a download speed of about .5mbps every night, and since we were told it was 10, I'm wondering if we're capped at something else or if we're really sharing that with the rest of the complex?

Me: Multiply it by 1024, but it's still 20 times slower than advertised. [repeats original questions]

You must have been at the "can you grasp that concept" part of this one..

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gc2Ks3lQew8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gc2Ks3lQew8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

QuikSsurfer
01-01-2011, 12:39 PM

I've been on both sides having worked in a call center back in the day -- it is ridiculously annoying when you clearly know more than the tech support agent.. I just ask them to escalate the case if I know its going nowhere fast.

crossbow
01-01-2011, 12:42 PM
"We put the wrong key in it and it is jammed. We left it in there so that we would not be billed for the service call if the lock got broken".
- Me: "This call was billable the minute you forced the wrong key into the lock".

"We have no idea why the monitor is not turning on".
- Me: "Water is pouring out of it. You left it uncovered outside during the rain storm"

"After we scanned the receipt the computer locked up so we tried it on the other 6 machines and they all locked up".
- Me: "After the second computer froze did you not think to stop scanning THAT receipt and hand type the numbers in?

"It must be the modem that is broken because it won't load Windows".
- Me: "You think the computer is called a modem"?

"You people need to fix this thing or get us a new one".
- Me: "Lets start by NOT taking a 2 pound horseshoe magnet and using it to pin the floppy diskettes to your metal door before you go to lunch everyday".

- Me: "What model of computer do you have? Dell, Compaq, IBM?"
"It is an NEC Multisync.......... pause.............19 inch"

bevischief
01-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Hell, people should just be thankful to hear an American voice at the other end of the line when they call any business for anything.

this.

Bowser
01-01-2011, 12:47 PM
"We put the wrong key in it and it is jammed. We left it in there so that we would not be billed for the service call if the lock got broken".
- Me: "This call was billable the minute you forced the wrong key into the lock".

- Me: "Water is pouring out of it. You left it uncovered outside during the rain storm"

"After we scanned the receipt the computer locked up so we tried it on the other 6 machines and they all locked up".
- Me: "After the second computer froze did you not think to stop scanning THAT receipt and hand type the numbers in?

- Me: "Lets start by NOT taking a 2 pound horseshoe magnet and using it to pin the floppy diskettes to your metal door before you go to lunch everyday".

LMAO

Bearcat
01-01-2011, 12:52 PM
You must have been at the "can you grasp that concept" part of this one..

Yeah. LMAO

I've been on both sides having worked in a call center back in the day -- it is ridiculously annoying when you clearly know more than the tech support agent.. I just ask them to escalate the case if I know its going nowhere fast.

I worked in one about 5 years ago, and when I started, I assumed I could skip steps if the person sounded competent... but sometimes it would backfire and I'd just end up wasting time. OTOH, it can be so freakin' obvious at times, yet the level 1 people are trained to go by the book 100% of the time.

I called them back the next day and the guy said he didn't know the answer, but could find out... later that day I got a call from the freakin' President of the ISP (it's not exactly TWC), who explained how the complex was setup, what they've seen when testing at the complex, etc. That's customer service... no matter how my job title changes or who I deal with on a daily basis, that's my job in IT -- solve problems with my knowledge/troubleshooting skills or finding someone that knows the answer. Neutering your level 1 support so they don't have to think does help in most situations, but not when your customer is overqualified for the level 1 person's job.

GloryDayz
01-01-2011, 01:36 PM
And this guy calls back... Nice!! I love this series on YouTube!! ROFL

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SMikPO6q7RE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SMikPO6q7RE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

JD10367
01-01-2011, 01:53 PM

Reminds me of some of the calls I took when I worked at the Museum of Science in Boston. Before I went to work in the IMAX, I took incoming reservations for it as well as answered general info questions. This was, oh, between 1987 and 1995. Talk about a shocking introduction to the world of general stupidity.

First there were the mashed-up names for the IMAX films. Now, grant you, most of the names are pretty simple. There was an old IMAX film called "To Fly". I got people asking for "Two Ply" (must be the trashbag movie), "Two Flies" (the mating dance of the housefly, perhaps?), "To Die" (the film wasn't THAT boring), and "Shoo-Fly" (the film about a pie, apparently). "Blue Planet" was everything else round or blue ("Blue Ball", "Blue Marble", "Blue Ocean", "Blue Sky", "Blue World"). "To The Limit" was "To The Women" (sounds like a nice IMAX lesbian flick). "Mystery of the Dark Matter" in the Planetarium was "Misery Of The Darkness" (apt).

And then there were the interactions.

Caller: "What's playing?"
Me: "We have two films, Antarctica and Mountain Gorillas."
Caller: "What are those about?"
Me: "Well, Antarctica is about Antarctica and Mountain Gorillas is about Mountain Gorillas."
Caller: "Oh, that's what I thought."

Me: "The Grand Canyon".
Caller: "What's that?"
Me: "It's about the formation of the Grand Canyon, and the history of its exploration."
Caller: "No... what's the Grand Canyon?"
Me (pause): "What's the Grand Canyon?"
Caller: "Yeah."
Me: "Uh... It's a big hole in the ground out west."

Caller: "Hi. I'm a member of the museum and I'd like to reserve tickets to the 2pm show of Everest with my American Express and pay for them when I get there."
Me: "We don't reserve tickets, you have to pay for them over the phone. We don't take American Express. The 2pm show is sold out, and it's not Everest."
Caller (pause): "So... what are you trying to tell me?"

New girl: "Hi, thank you for calling, how may I help you?"
Caller (whispering): "May I lick your breasts?"

Me: "Museum of Science switchboard."
Operator: "Hi, I have a collect call."
Me: "We don't take colle..."
::: click as the operator ignores me and puts it through :::
::: distant scratchy sound as if the call is coming from across the planet :::
(pause, then a voice)
"Eh.... **** you." ::: click :::

Caller: "What's playing at the IMAX?"
Me: "Beavers".
Caller (pause, then sounding like Beavis and Butthead): "Huh, huh-huh... Beavers?"
Me (sighing): "Yes, Beavers."
Caller: "And what's that about?"
Me: "Beavers."
Caller: "You mean, like... beavers, beavers?"

Me: "Museum of Science, how may I help you?"
Caller: "Yes, how do I get to the museum from Harvard Square?"
Me: "By car, or by train?"
Caller: "Okay, thanks." ::: click :::
(Me, staring at the phone in stunned silence)

And then people wonder why I'm a sociopath...

JD10367
01-01-2011, 01:58 PM
We were running a film about the Great Barrier Reef.

Caller: "Yeah, I want to see that Austrian movie about the sound barrier."
Me: "You mean the Australian movie about the Great Barrier."
Caller: "Whatever."

:facepalm:

JD10367
01-01-2011, 01:58 PM
We had a traveling exhibit about robotic dinosaurs. More than one person called to ask... "Are the dinosaurs real?" :shake:

KILLER_CLOWN
01-01-2011, 02:13 PM
DISCLAIMER: Bad Language!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S1s0LXxdXdw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S1s0LXxdXdw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

GloryDayz
01-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Reminds me of some of the calls I took when I worked at the Museum of Science in Boston. Before I went to work in the IMAX, I took incoming reservations for it as well as answered general info questions. This was, oh, between 1987 and 1995. Talk about a shocking introduction to the world of general stupidity.

First there were the mashed-up names for the IMAX films. Now, grant you, most of the names are pretty simple. There was an old IMAX film called "To Fly". I got people asking for "Two Ply" (must be the trashbag movie), "Two Flies" (the mating dance of the housefly, perhaps?), "To Die" (the film wasn't THAT boring), and "Shoo-Fly" (the film about a pie, apparently). "Blue Planet" was everything else round or blue ("Blue Ball", "Blue Marble", "Blue Ocean", "Blue Sky", "Blue World"). "To The Limit" was "To The Women" (sounds like a nice IMAX lesbian flick). "Mystery of the Dark Matter" in the Planetarium was "Misery Of The Darkness" (apt).

And then there were the interactions.

Me: "We have two films, Antarctica and Mountain Gorillas."
Caller: "What are those about?"
Me: "Well, Antarctica is about Antarctica and Mountain Gorillas is about Mountain Gorillas."
Caller: "Oh, that's what I thought."

Me: "The Grand Canyon".
Caller: "What's that?"
Me: "It's about the formation of the Grand Canyon, and the history of its exploration."
Caller: "No... what's the Grand Canyon?"
Me (pause): "What's the Grand Canyon?"
Caller: "Yeah."
Me: "Uh... It's a big hole in the ground out west."

Caller: "Hi. I'm a member of the museum and I'd like to reserve tickets to the 2pm show of Everest with my American Express and pay for them when I get there."
Me: "We don't reserve tickets, you have to pay for them over the phone. We don't take American Express. The 2pm show is sold out, and it's not Everest."
Caller (pause): "So... what are you trying to tell me?"

New girl: "Hi, thank you for calling, how may I help you?"
Caller (whispering): "May I lick your breasts?"

Me: "Museum of Science switchboard."
Operator: "Hi, I have a collect call."
Me: "We don't take colle..."
::: click as the operator ignores me and puts it through :::
::: distant scratchy sound as if the call is coming from across the planet :::
(pause, then a voice)
"Eh.... **** you." ::: click :::

Caller: "What's playing at the IMAX?"
Me: "Beavers".
Caller (pause, then sounding like Beavis and Butthead): "Huh, huh-huh... Beavers?"
Me (sighing): "Yes, Beavers."
Caller: "And what's that about?"
Me: "Beavers."
Caller: "You mean, like... beavers, beavers?"

Me: "Museum of Science, how may I help you?"
Caller: "Yes, how do I get to the museum from Harvard Square?"
Me: "By car, or by train?"
Caller: "Okay, thanks." ::: click :::
(Me, staring at the phone in stunned silence)

And then people wonder why I'm a sociopath...

I'm laughing.... That's F'n awesome!!! ROFL Some days it doesn't pay to get out of bed...

JD10367
01-01-2011, 02:19 PM
I'm laughing.... That's F'n awesome!!! ROFL Some days it doesn't pay to get out of bed...

The saddest part is, not a single one of those was embellished. That's pretty much word-for-word. :banghead:

Rain Man
01-01-2011, 05:02 PM
I wonder if this stuff happened in medieval agrarian societies.

Help Desk: Welcome to Tech Support. How may I help you?

Peasant: It's about time. I've listened to Greensleeves about 50 times already.

Help Desk: Call volumes are unusually high. How may I help you?

Peasant: I got this new hoe and I can't get it to work.

Help Desk: What's the model number on the hoe?

Peasant: I don't think it's got a model number. It's just a piece iron tied to a stick.

Help Desk: What kind of stick?

Peasant: Looks like oak.

Help Desk: Okay, that's Model Number 1. So what's the problem?

Peasant: I try to hoe, but it doesn't seem to hoe.

Help Desk: Have you tried restarting the hoe?

Peasant: How do I do that?

Help Desk: Take the hoe and set it on the ground, and then pick it back up.

Peasant: Okay, I'll try that.

gblowfish
01-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Customers suck.

BigMeatballDave
01-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Hell, people should just be thankful to hear an American voice at the other end of the line when they call any business for anything.This. 9 times outta 10 its Aknaad from India who cant say my fucking name.

MIAdragon
01-01-2011, 05:26 PM
There is an automated message stating that hold times are longer than normal due to an outage in the area.

Every tech line says something like that 24/7

BigMeatballDave
01-01-2011, 05:30 PM

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W8_Kfjo3VjU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W8_Kfjo3VjU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>LMAO Awesome!
Sex with vegetables:LOL:

pr_capone
01-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Every tech line says something like that 24/7

The past 2 months have been brutal but for the most part you can call in and be talking to a live person within 3-5 minutes.

But, even if you had to wait 45 minutes. Why are you gonna take it out on the guy on the other end of the line? It's not as if I have any control over how long it took you to reach me. Not only that, but if it took you that long to get to me, that likely means I've been doing nothing but taking calls non stop. Probably had my lunch hour cut in half and been told I need to stay a 1/2 to an hour later than I'm supposed to as well.

What do you think is gonna get the best service from me? Being nice and understanding or screaming in my ear and calling me a mother ****er?

If you are nice to me... I'll bend over backwards to make you happy. I've even credited people's account because of the lengthy wait time.

Call me up and start screaming and cussing at me like I had inappropriately touched your dog? You aren't gonna get shit but the absolute minimum required of me to get a "good grade" on my call monitoring.

Fairplay
01-01-2011, 05:37 PM
"I call tech support to get horny." -Morgan Freeman

GloryDayz
01-01-2011, 05:50 PM
The past 2 months have been brutal but for the most part you can call in and be talking to a live person within 3-5 minutes.

But, even if you had to wait 45 minutes. Why are you gonna take it out on the guy on the other end of the line? It's not as if I have any control over how long it took you to reach me. Not only that, but if it took you that long to get to me, that likely means I've been doing nothing but taking calls non stop. Probably had my lunch hour cut in half and been told I need to stay a 1/2 to an hour later than I'm supposed to as well.

What do you think is gonna get the best service from me? Being nice and understanding or screaming in my ear and calling me a mother ****er?

If you are nice to me... I'll bend over backwards to make you happy. I've even credited people's account because of the lengthy wait time.

Call me up and start screaming and cussing at me like I had inappropriately touched your dog? You aren't gonna get shit but the absolute minimum required of me to get a "good grade" on my call monitoring.

I agree with you, but the fact that you're busy might say something too. Bad products or lack of staff? Or, if it's not hardware, does the weather affect call volumes (IOW services affected by weather)? And what's with the "unusually high call volumes" we always hear? Seems like that horse gets rode a little too often. Perhaps it's time to double the tech support staff and send some of them home early twice a year!! I know it's not your fault, but if I made my boss wait 45 minutes (I know they aren't your boss, but whatever), there'd be hell to pay. If the call accounting system show wait times of 45 minutes at any time, there should be a mandatory board meeting the following morning to figure out why. It might actually lead to the real problem(s) getting solved. How often does this happen? What's your customer call abandonment rate?

pr_capone
01-01-2011, 05:58 PM
I agree with you, but the fact that you're busy might say something too. Bad products or lack of staff? Or, if it's not hardware, does the weather affect call volumes (IOW services affected by weather)? And what's with the "unusually high call volumes" we always hear? Seems like that horse gets rode a little too often. Perhaps it's time to double the tech support staff and send some of them home early twice a year!! I know it's not your fault, but if I made my boss wait 45 minutes (I know they aren't your boss, but whatever), there'd be hell to pay. If the call accounting system show wait times of 45 minutes at any time, there should be a mandatory board meeting the following morning to figure out why. It might actually lead to the real problem(s) getting solved. How often does this happen? What's your customer call abandonment rate?

Mostly due to lack of staff, they went and fired a bunch of people who were doing shitty work and hired new ones to replace them. Training new people takes time... about 8 weeks to catch them up on everything we do. That is why the past 2 months have been hell. That should ease up considerably as the first group just hit the floor a few days ago with another class set to hit in a few weeks.

Today, the hiccup was that someone hit a pole in Junction City knocking out a large part of our network. As soon as we found out what happened, we put the message in the automated system. The first hour and a half of the day was smooth as silk because the outage had not occurred yet. Plenty of time between calls meaning that you spoke with a live person as soon as you called in.

The call volumes are looked at several times a day actually. There have been several notices begging people to volunteer for OT, and if they don't get the volunteers... they cut our lunches in half and tell us that we are staying later. We can't tell them no. If they add an hour or two to the end of our shift, we just have to grind through it.

GloryDayz
01-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Mostly due to lack of staff, they went and fired a bunch of people who were doing shitty work and hired new ones to replace them. Training new people takes time... about 8 weeks to catch them up on everything we do. That is why the past 2 months have been hell. That should ease up considerably as the first group just hit the floor a few days ago with another class set to hit in a few weeks.

Today, the hiccup was that someone hit a pole in Junction City knocking out a large part of our network. As soon as we found out what happened, we put the message in the automated system. The first hour and a half of the day was smooth as silk because the outage had not occurred yet. Plenty of time between calls meaning that you spoke with a live person as soon as you called in.

The call volumes are looked at several times a day actually. There have been several notices begging people to volunteer for OT, and if they don't get the volunteers... they cut our lunches in half and tell us that we are staying later. We can't tell them no. If they add an hour or two to the end of our shift, we just have to grind through it.

Are the cut lunches and extra hours paid at OT rates? If not, you might have a case. Did you happen to catch the last "Undercover Boss" show? Parts of it seem relevant to this threat. At the same time, it sounds like your leadership might not have the gumption to get into the trenches and see how things are really going. You don't have to go on a TV show to do that, and I think it does wonders in any form it's done in.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-01-2011, 06:15 PM
<object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Q8DriPCX2o?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

ROFL

pr_capone
01-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Are the cut lunches and extra hours paid at OT rates? If not, you might have a case. Did you happen to catch the last "Undercover Boss" show? Parts of it seem relevant to this threat. At the same time, it sounds like your leadership might not have the gumption to get into the trenches and see how things are really going. You don't have to go on a TV show to do that, and I think it does wonders in any form it's done in.

Oh, I'm not upset at the cut lunches or the added hours at the end. They do pay OT and compensate us well when we are forced the extra hours. Please don't misunderstand, I love the company I work for. They have done nothing but treat me well which motivates me to do my very best. In fact, I've been asked to apply for a supervisory roll. No guarantee I get the job, but the acknowledgment is nice.

They know there is a need for more techs, but they would rather take their time and make sure they get the right people vs just throwing random joe into a cubicle telling him to have at it. I'm all for that... makes my job easier because I know I can rely on my co-workers to do the job right the first time, thus keeping people from calling back in to bitch because the last rep was worthless.

GloryDayz
01-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Oh, I'm not upset at the cut lunches or the added hours at the end. They do pay OT and compensate us well when we are forced the extra hours. Please don't misunderstand, I love the company I work for. They have done nothing but treat me well which motivates me to do my very best. In fact, I've been asked to apply for a supervisory roll. No guarantee I get the job, but the acknowledgment is nice.

They know there is a need for more techs, but they would rather take their time and make sure they get the right people vs just throwing random joe into a cubicle telling him to have at it. I'm all for that... makes my job easier because I know I can rely on my co-workers to do the job right the first time, thus keeping people from calling back in to bitch because the last rep was worthless.

Agreed. I've found telephone support of any level one of the most difficult positions to fill. It's a tough job, and you rearly get folks who are, at the moment, happy. Obviously I've been on bot sides of the issue, and i feel for both sides..