PDA

View Full Version : Life *.* 2011 General Fitness Thread *.*

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Silock
01-01-2011, 01:23 PM
The other thread is just too long, even though it's chock-full of good information.

Use this thread as a food and/or exercise log.

People I want to see more of this year:

Mr. Flopnuts - My personal hero due to his extreme dedication to weight loss and fitness -- he's truly an inspiration to us all, no bullshit.

ChiefsRGood - Do some legs, buddy. :thumb:

Gif Horse - Another success story

NewPhin - Kettlebellnerd

Penguinz - My arch nemesis, and friend. Odd.

Yes, there are more, but it's New Year's Day, and I'm tired as fuck from staying up, so my brain isn't working well.

The rest of you can go fuck yourselves. No, not really. Just kidding. But seriously, fuck yourselves.

EDIT:

If you want to get back into lifting, or need a new lifting routine, START HERE:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

If you have questions about the SS programs, look here:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ

Keep in mind that you're a novice lifter for a longer period of time than you think you are. Novice lifting can last anywhere from a few months to a year or two, depending on how hard you hit the weights and where you started.

Once you've reached the point where you don't make regular progress on the SS program, you are ready to move on to the intermediate stage, which can last you for a good number of years. Find it HERE:

http://madcow.hostzi.com/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

If you're a very advanced lifter (many, many years of CONSISTENT weight training), then there are lot of programs out there, and which one you pick is simply a matter of preference. If you're really that advanced, you should know what works for you and what doesn't by this point.

Bacon Cheeseburger
01-01-2011, 01:24 PM
How many calories can I expect to burn by fucking myself?

Saulbadguy
01-01-2011, 01:26 PM
EAT LESS, EXERCISE MORE!!!111

Silock
01-01-2011, 01:30 PM
How many calories can I expect to burn by fucking myself?

Depends on how much effort it takes.

Donger
01-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Cycling is my primary exercise, so the winter months are inside on the trainer. I hate the trainer, but I managed to do 10 miles in 30 minutes yesterday, but it was a struggle.

LiveSteam
01-01-2011, 01:46 PM
How many calories can I expect to burn by ****ing myself?

my research says between a 100 & 150 calories per ejaculation

http://www.steadyhealth.com/masterbation_calories_burn_t56436.html

Silock
01-01-2011, 01:54 PM
my research says between a 100 & 150 calories per ejaculation

http://www.steadyhealth.com/masterbation_calories_burn_t56436.html

Penis - The original Shake Weight

bevischief
01-01-2011, 01:56 PM
PlayStation 2 and my stationary bike about five days a week for about a hour lost over 20 pounds and keep it off.

KurtCobain
01-01-2011, 01:57 PM
I'm about six one, or six two. September 2009 I weighed about 115 lbs. Today I've gotten myself to about 180 lbs. Feel alot more healthy, but now I want to build some of this into muscle. I'm trying to find a good gym membership around the independence/blue springs area. I go to the Sermon center a couple days a week, but not much to do there.

NewChief
01-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Went into the gym this morning at 10:30.

Unfortunately, they'd sponsored an 11k (for 2011) race this morning (which I missed the deadline for registration). Anyway, the place was a damned party. Like 150 people inside and outside, drinking beer, drinking coffee, eating food and slapping each other on the backs for finishing the race (typical post race scene).

And there I was.... working out. I felt like a tool, but I persisted and got my workout in.

Rudy lost the toss
01-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Is it sand volleyball season yet?

NewChief
01-01-2011, 02:05 PM
I'm about six one, or six two. September 2009 I weighed about 115 lbs. Today I've gotten myself to about 180 lbs. Feel alot more healthy, but now I want to build some of this into muscle. I'm trying to find a good gym membership around the independence/blue springs area. I go to the Sermon center a couple days a week, but not much to do there.

Congrats, man. You've fought some damned demons. It's ironic that you're trying to gain weight while most here and either trying to lose or maintain.

I don't know much about KC gyms, sorry.

NewChief
01-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Has anyone ever messed around with any certifications? My wife and I are both into the gym and health thing enough that we're contemplating doing some. She, specifically, does Les Mills classes and could get certified in Body Pump. By her teaching one class a week, we could both swing free gym memberships.

I'm also contemplating getting RKC certified and (possibly) MovNat certified whenever they come out with their program. We're actually both, half heartedly, considering trying to get into making some money off personal training.

KurtCobain
01-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Congrats, man. You've fought some damned demons. It's ironic that you're trying to gain weight while most here and either trying to lose or maintain.

I don't know much about KC gyms, sorry.

I'm not sure what the wait I'm shooting for is. I feel good now, I'm not as sleepy and weak as used to be. I can actually keep a job now without getting sick from just moving around. And when the wind blows now, it doesn't bother me.

However, now I'm starting to get some flab and I really want to turn it into muscle. I do crunches and push-ups right now, but is there an workout w/o equipment you would recommend right now?

And off the subject, have you heard the new eminem leaks this week?

58-4ever
01-01-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm not sure what the wait I'm shooting for is. I feel good now, I'm not as sleepy and weak as used to be. I can actually keep a job now without getting sick from just moving around. And when the wind blows now, it doesn't bother me.

However, now I'm starting to get some flab and I really want to turn it into muscle. I do crunches and push-ups right now, but is there an workout w/o equipment you would recommend right now?

And off the subject, have you heard the new eminem leaks this week?

Link to the leaks??

Mr. Flopnuts
01-01-2011, 02:44 PM
While I appreciate your sentiment, and give it right back to you for EVERYTHING you've done to help me with this over the years, I have to come clean and admit that in the last 4 and a half months, I've gained over 50lbs. Alcohol, POOR diet, and zero exercise are to blame. Life has been as stressful as it's ever been for me, but that's no excuse.

It's time to not only get back on the horse, but figure out how to deal with stress in a way that won't completely destroy all of the hard work I've put in over the last couple of years.

Silock
01-01-2011, 02:57 PM
I'm not sure what the wait I'm shooting for is.

My advice is to not target a specific weight. That just gets you into trouble.

Target looking good and/or specific strength goals. If you focus too much on gaining weight, you could end up missing the forest for the trees.

One of my good friends is on a constant quest to gain 10 lbs. I don't know why. He's jacked as fucked, and pretty lean. But, he's told me that he gained 5 pounds he wanted, and gained some fat. He looks absolutely no different in terms of muscle. I think I've convinced him that it's time to give up on the weight goal.

Silock
01-01-2011, 02:58 PM
While I appreciate your sentiment, and give it right back to you for EVERYTHING you've done to help me with this over the years, I have to come clean and admit that in the last 4 and a half months, I've gained over 50lbs. Alcohol, POOR diet, and zero exercise are to blame. Life has been as stressful as it's ever been for me, but that's no excuse.

It's time to not only get back on the horse, but figure out how to deal with stress in a way that won't completely destroy all of the hard work I've put in over the last couple of years.

Speedbump, dude. Don't convince yourself that a temporary setback erases all the good karma you built up until now -- it doesn't. You've done a lot to be proud of, and now, it's simply time to get back to it.

Thanks for the kind words :)

Silock
01-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Has anyone ever messed around with any certifications? My wife and I are both into the gym and health thing enough that we're contemplating doing some. She, specifically, does Les Mills classes and could get certified in Body Pump. By her teaching one class a week, we could both swing free gym memberships.

I'm also contemplating getting RKC certified and (possibly) MovNat certified whenever they come out with their program. We're actually both, half heartedly, considering trying to get into making some money off personal training.

It's a tough living. The certifications are VERY expensive, and unless you can build and maintain a large client base, it's difficult to make a lot of money (or any appreciable amount) as a trainer.

Bowser
01-01-2011, 03:01 PM
In on this. We're taking a vacation in August to Sedona and the Grand Canyon, and frankly I don't want to look like a marshmallow floating down the Colorado.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Speedbump, dude. Don't convince yourself that a temporary setback erases all the good karma you built up until now -- it doesn't. You've done a lot to be proud of, and now, it's simply time to get back to it.

Thanks for the kind words :)

Thanks man. No crying from me. In fact, I accept the responsibility of making conscious decisions that have hurt my progress. I no longer have the excuse of "Oh, I just didn't know any better." It is what it is, and luckily for me, I know EXACTLY how to fix it.

As rough as shit has been in the last year, life's good. Because I choose for it to be.

Donger
01-01-2011, 03:27 PM
In on this. We're taking a vacation in August to Sedona and the Grand Canyon, and frankly I don't want to look like a marshmallow floating down the Colorado.

Huh. I guess I'll have to get a bigger scope.

Count Zarth
01-01-2011, 03:29 PM
OK, this is my accountability thread.

I took a month off from lifting.

I am a lazy sack of shit.

Time to get back on it starting today.

RedThat
01-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Drew you mentioned about how to not aim for a specific target weight and to just go with how you look, I can agree with that to a certain extent.

I am currently taking an introduction to health and fitness course and one of the things they always emphasize on is BMI. We know BMI is linked to our bodyweight, but it is a poor thing to use as far as looks go.

But I do think its important to keep it in mind because they always told us to be in a specific BMI range in order to avoid health risks/concerns. I can't remember what the number is? I think its between 18.5-24.9 or something. If you are in that range it is declared as a normal body weight and you have the greatest chance of avoiding health risks such as diabetes, cancer, etc.

If one has a BMI of lets say 30 or more than he/she would be declared as obese and would have a greater chance of developing health risks.

Therefore, BMI, weight is very important. Im not here to debunk your statements and I appreciate your input. I just think it all depends on what a peoples goals are. If one is working out for looks, then BMI shouldn't really matter, but for health it does. Again, depends on your goals. What do you think? Or have to say about that.

Bowser
01-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Huh. I guess I'll have to get a bigger scope.

LMAO

I can totally see you pulling an Indiana Jones, standing on top of the rock with a Panzerschreck on your shoulder.....

NewChief
01-01-2011, 03:45 PM
For the fasters (and those of us looking for some motivation), I thought this post was really good:

http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/fasting-advice-must-read-for-the-holidays/
Fasting Advice (Must Read for the Holidays)

Sometimes itís easy to forget why we do the things we do. Intermittent Fasting

And itís also easy to forget whatís important.

With Fasting, itís not the hormonal stuff thatís the most important.

Itís the mental part.

For fasting to work it must be associated with positive reinforcement. When you finish a 24 hour fast, you should feel really good.

Because you finished.

You accomplished your goal.

You won.

The problem occurs when you get USED to fasting.

Once your used to fasting.. you forget about the positive reinforcement. And this can lead you to using fasting as PUNISHMENT.

Not good.

Fasting should not be a punishment.

As an example:

You have a bad night of eating..so you FORCE yourself to fast the
next day. You are now associating Fasting with something negative.

This can make fasting STOP working and it could lead to binging before and after.

Bottom line: Donít use fasting as a punishment (Simple message)

Always remember, fasting should be positive.

Here is a great Facebook message I received from Agnes about this exact topic:

ďSeems that when I donít use the fasting to punish myself and save calories for eating poorly or too much the day before I do much better. I hope thatís some insight to others.Ē

So if you want to make sure Eat Stop Eat keeps working remember to keep it positive. Donít use your fasts as a punishment, use it as a tool to lose weight, and build positive momentum.

Every time you complete a 24 hour fast, itís a small win for you.

(Yeah you!)

just a friendly reminder for this holiday season.

BP

Brock
01-01-2011, 03:47 PM
My kettlebells dude is certified through Steve Maxwell, Maxbells.com. I'd be glad to ask him any questions you might have tomorrow.

Baby Lee
01-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Does anyone do this any more?

http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/~jajoo/gmdiet.html

Count Zarth
01-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Does anyone do this any more?

http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/~jajoo/gmdiet.html (http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/%7Ejajoo/gmdiet.html)

I did the GM Diet back when I was about 250, and it worked to perfection.

Silock
01-01-2011, 03:57 PM
*snip*
What do you think? Or have to say about that.

I think what you just said in no way conflicts with what I said. Everything you said is correct. :)

What I will say is that for a normal person with a good lifting routine, good diet, and a reasonably low amount of body fat (less than 15%), BMI won't be an issue. They may be on the high side of normal, but generally won't venture into overweight by much, if at all.

Now, a genetic freak, or someone on performance enhancers (steroids, HGH), will be more likely to have a higher BMI, even if they may not have a high percentage of body fat. The natural genetic freaks are very rare; 'roid users perhaps not so much.

Generally, the eye does a pretty good job at estimating a "healthy" BMI. Someone that has visible definition in the midsection will 99% of the time fall into the normal, healthy weight category. If you look in the mirror and say "Man, I could stand to lose a few pounds," then you'll probably fall into the overweight or higher category (unless you have body image issues).

Evolution has done a pretty good job at developing visual clues for normal, healthy bodies. Attractive bodies are healthy bodies.

Does that make sense?

Silock
01-01-2011, 03:58 PM
but is there an workout w/o equipment you would recommend right now?

Missed this part. Check out Turbulence Training. It sounds like it's exactly what you're looking for.

There's a link on the right hand side of my website: fitexcellence.com

NewChief
01-01-2011, 03:59 PM
My kettlebells dude is certified through Steve Maxwell, Maxbells.com. I'd be glad to ask him any questions you might have tomorrow.

Thanks, Brock. I'll look into it and get back with you if I have any questions.

MIAdragon
01-01-2011, 04:28 PM
For the fasters (and those of us looking for some motivation), I thought this post was really good:

http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/fasting-advice-must-read-for-the-holidays/
Fasting Advice (Must Read for the Holidays)

Sometimes itís easy to forget why we do the things we do. Intermittent Fasting

And itís also easy to forget whatís important.

With Fasting, itís not the hormonal stuff thatís the most important.

Itís the mental part.

For fasting to work it must be associated with positive reinforcement. When you finish a 24 hour fast, you should feel really good.

Because you finished.

You accomplished your goal.

You won.

The problem occurs when you get USED to fasting.

Once your used to fasting.. you forget about the positive reinforcement. And this can lead you to using fasting as PUNISHMENT.

Not good.

Fasting should not be a punishment.

As an example:

You have a bad night of eating..so you FORCE yourself to fast the
next day. You are now associating Fasting with something negative.

This can make fasting STOP working and it could lead to binging before and after.

Bottom line: Donít use fasting as a punishment (Simple message)

Always remember, fasting should be positive.

Here is a great Facebook message I received from Agnes about this exact topic:

ďSeems that when I donít use the fasting to punish myself and save calories for eating poorly or too much the day before I do much better. I hope thatís some insight to others.Ē

So if you want to make sure Eat Stop Eat keeps working remember to keep it positive. Donít use your fasts as a punishment, use it as a tool to lose weight, and build positive momentum.

Every time you complete a 24 hour fast, itís a small win for you.

(Yeah you!)

just a friendly reminder for this holiday season.

BP

Not eat for 24hrs !?! I have a hard time going 6 much less 24.

Count Zarth
01-01-2011, 04:34 PM
That's because you've never tried it.

After the initial adjustment period it's not hard. Just takes a little willpower. It helps if your mind is occupied.

RedThat
01-01-2011, 04:37 PM
What I will say is that for a normal person with a good lifting routine, good diet, and a reasonably low amount of body fat (less than 15%), BMI won't be an issue. They may be on the high side of normal, but generally won't venture into overweight by much, if at all.

True.

Now, a genetic freak, or someone on performance enhancers (steroids, HGH), will be more likely to have a higher BMI, even if they may not have a high percentage of body fat. The natural genetic freaks are very rare; 'roid users perhaps not so much.

True as well. Even if they're putting on muscle it's associated with weight gain right? Therefore, an increase in BMI. Just weight is being added in the form of muscle.

Generally, the eye does a pretty good job at estimating a "healthy" BMI. Someone that has visible definition in the midsection will 99% of the time fall into the normal, healthy weight category. If you look in the mirror and say "Man, I could stand to lose a few pounds," then you'll probably fall into the overweight or higher category (unless you have body image issues).

I agree with this. Yup. Use your eyes. One of the things they also told us was not to focus on BMI alone, but to also focus on where the fat is being distributed in the body. That makes a big difference. They always told us to perform anthropometric measurements(i.e, waist circumference)...Generally, people who have a high waist circumference will have both a high BMI and lots of abdominal fat. So if men tend have that apple shape, you know, the beer belly and chicken legs, there are potential health consequences that could come with that.

Evolution has done a pretty good job at developing visual clues for normal, healthy bodies.

absolutely.

Attractive bodies are healthy bodies.

For the most part, I think this is true. Generally that applies for most people. But, then what about bodybuilders? They could have a really high BMI, look fit, and attractive, but are they healthy? It can be argued. Some of them are not. who knows what goes inside their systems? We do know, and this is a fact, that bodybuilders have a higher prevalence of eating disorders than the general public which contributes to either weight gain or weight loss. They weight cycle all the time. which is extremely bad for you. They look great for a contest, but then in the off-season its just totally disasterous. It all depends, right?

Does that make sense?

for the most part, yes. Good job, and thank you:thumb:

Fairplay
01-01-2011, 04:38 PM
That's because you've never tried it.

After the initial adjustment period it's not hard. Just takes a little willpower. It helps if your mind is occupied.

Actual 48 hours is easier then you think.

Count Zarth
01-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Actual 48 hours is easier then you think.

I've done 72 hours. Mind over matter.

Fairplay
01-01-2011, 04:43 PM
I've done 72 hours. Mind over matter.

I agree.

runnercyclist
01-01-2011, 04:52 PM
1 hour on the trainer today. Today was my running rest day. I've signed up for the Mountain State Brewing Company Pub Run on February 12. 6.3 mile trail run in the mountains.

rageeumr
01-01-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm going to try to run another marathon this year. I ran the KC marathon in 2008. Finished strong in under 4 hours, with a pretty solid negative split. Mile 24 was my fastest mile. I trained that winter for the Olathe Marathon in the Spring and it got canceled because of ice. I got discouraged, took a little break from running and haven't ever gotten myself back in marathon shape. I've done a bunch of half marathons since then but haven't gotten motivated enough for a full.

I also want to do an Olympic distance triathlon (1500 M swim, 40k bike, 10k run) in a decent time. I did Chicago last year and cramped up at the beginning of the run. I had to walk almost the entire 10k.

Last but not least I want to try to eat a little better this year. I do pretty well limiting my fast food and keeping my calories under control, but I'd like to eat less processed crap. More fruits & veggies.

KurtCobain
01-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Fasting is easier with meth.

rageeumr
01-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Forgot to mention that I swam today. 500 yards straight through and then 4 x 50 yard repeats. My watch band is broke but I can guarantee you it was embarrassingly slow.

KC Tattoo
01-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Fasting is easier with meth.

How you doing today Kurt?

teedubya
01-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Losing weight isn't hard, it's just a pain in the ass.

The cheat day is important to me... that way I can defer eating the cravings that I have...

Silock
01-01-2011, 05:30 PM
I agree with this. Yup. Use your eyes. One of the things they also told us was not to focus on BMI alone, but to also focus on where the fat is being distributed in the body. That makes a big difference. They always told us to perform anthropometric measurements(i.e, waist circumference)...Generally, people who have a high waist circumference will have both a high BMI and lots of abdominal fat. So if men tend have that apple shape, you know, the beer belly and chicken legs, there are potential health consequences that could come with that.

Absolutely. Abdominal fat is close to, if not THE, #1 predictor of significant health issues.

For the most part, I think this is true. Generally that applies for most people. But, then what about bodybuilders? They could have a really high BMI, look fit, and attractive, but are they healthy? It can be argued. Some of them are not. who knows what goes inside their systems? We do know, and this is a fact, that bodybuilders have a higher prevalence of eating disorders than the general public which contributes to either weight gain or weight loss. They weight cycle all the time. which is extremely bad for you. They look great for a contest, but then in the off-season its just totally disasterous. It all depends, right?

Most bodybuilders are on steroids or something of that nature; at least, guys trying to look like Jay Cutler are.

ChiefsrGood
01-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Silock I promise you I will do legs. Not now....but they're coming. I promise

Brock
01-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Silock I promise you I will do legs. Not now....but they're coming. I promise

ROFL

ChiefsrGood
01-01-2011, 05:34 PM
ROFL

Idk what're you proving with that laugh but if it's sarcastic go fuck yourself.

Fairplay
01-01-2011, 05:36 PM
"I love to work out until i get tired. " - Morgan Freeman

TrickyNicky
01-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Here is what I'm doing:

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/2082/supfatties.jpg

chiefzilla1501
01-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Started off 2010 doing p90x. Was awesome and got me in great shape, but not great cardio shape. Gonna do p90x again on Monday and mix in some Insanity plyo on the off-lifting days instead of yoga and plyo. Planning to also play pickup bball at least once a week. Goal is to hit sub 20 on my 5k again. Haven't done that since 10 years ago, but granted, I was 15 lbs. lighter.

KurtCobain
01-01-2011, 10:27 PM
100 FUCKING PUSHUPS

SLAG
01-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Here is what I'm doing:

While I appreciate the sentiment 100 pushups /100 situps can be quite daunting and hard if you're just starting out...

good luck dude...

Brock
01-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Here is what I'm doing:

Heh. Seems simple enough.

Count Zarth
01-01-2011, 10:38 PM
100 fucking sit ups and 1 fucking mile jogs are a waste of fucking time.

chiefzilla1501
01-02-2011, 07:20 AM
100 ****ing sit ups and 1 ****ing mile jogs are a waste of ****ing time.

I'm no expert, but tend to agree that there are better uses of time than to focus on those two things alone. I feel like if anyone's looking for quick and simple, squats, pushups, pullups, and lunges work much better.

Saulbadguy
01-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Here is what I'm doing:

Haha, nice.

Pestilence
01-03-2011, 09:17 AM
It starts today.

Are we doing another CP Annual Weightloss Contest again this year?

RockChalk
01-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Silock/anyone...

Any good supplement suggestions? What are you on?

Background on me..6'1'', weighed 205 on 1/1/10. Dumped the pre workout NO Shotgun (too many negatives), dumped the post workout whey protein. Pretty much dumped everything except an every day multi-vitamin. Re-shifted my focus to mainly cardio, got down to about 170lbs, current at 180. Looking for more balance with my workout and some safe, healthy supplements that are effective.

sd4chiefs
01-03-2011, 09:56 AM
I walk my crazy ass dog twice a day for 40 minutes every day. If I don't, he is bouncing off the walls in the evening wanting to play. My crazy ass dog is looking at me as I type this. I guess it's time for his morning walk.

MOhillbilly
01-03-2011, 09:59 AM
splitwood for two hours straight on sat.

My dad did 400 push ups every morning.

penguinz
01-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Silock/anyone...

Background on me..6'1'', weighed 205 on 1/1/10. Dumped the pre workout NO Shotgun (too many negatives), dumped the post workout whey protein. Pretty much dumped everything except an every day multi-vitamin. Re-shifted my focus to mainly cardio, got down to about 170lbs, current at 180. Looking for more balance with my workout and some safe, healthy supplements that are effective.Creatine and eat healthy. A good quality protein within 30 minutes of the finish of your workout (supplement or from food).

rageeumr
01-03-2011, 10:00 AM
10 mile run yesterday. Legs are a little sore, so it's going to be a swimming day today.

RockChalk
01-03-2011, 10:01 AM
A good quality protein within 30 minutes of the finish of your workout (supplement or from food).

Got a rec for a good one (non-whey pref)

MOhillbilly
01-03-2011, 10:01 AM
10 mile run yesterday. Legs are a little sore, so it's going to be a swimming day today.

ROFL i dont even like to drive ten miles.

Brock
01-03-2011, 10:03 AM

How about a glass of milk...

zonachief
01-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Hey guys. Been overweight most of my life. Lost a boatload of weight during my senior year of highschool pretty much by starving myself. gained it back and then some. Started working out last week (don't believe in resolutions) and doing cardio 4 times a week (30 min) some lifting and some pool workouts (mostly running in the pool) . Trying to cut out some carbs. Eat lots of protien, fruits and veggies. doing more of a lifestyle change rather than a diet/ workout plan. Any help/ suggestions/ encouragment would be appreciated. Thanks guys

RedThat
01-03-2011, 10:27 AM
100 ****ing sit ups and 1 ****ing mile jogs are a waste of ****ing time.

Thats not necessarily true. You need to change your view and outlook on fitness.

Any type exercise is better than no exercise at all. You'd be surprise what very little exercise could do especially for morbidly obese people. in fact, just by jogging that 1 mile a week decreases their mortality rate by a significant amount. You'd be very surprised.

Silock
01-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Silock/anyone...

Background on me..6'1'', weighed 205 on 1/1/10. Dumped the pre workout NO Shotgun (too many negatives), dumped the post workout whey protein. Pretty much dumped everything except an every day multi-vitamin. Re-shifted my focus to mainly cardio, got down to about 170lbs, current at 180. Looking for more balance with my workout and some safe, healthy supplements that are effective.

Creatine, quality fish oil and protein are pretty much all you need. If you eat a balanced diet, multi-vitamins aren't even necessary.

Silock
01-03-2011, 10:29 AM

Why non-whey? You want to stay away from soy protein, and egg protein powders are really expensive.

Silock
01-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Any type exercise is better than no exercise at all. You'd be surprise what very little exercise could do especially for morbidly obese people. in fact, just by jogging that 1 mile a week decreases their mortality rate by a significant amount. You'd be very surprised.

I agree with this.

Silock
01-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Any help/ suggestions/ encouragment would be appreciated. Thanks guys

What kind of help are you looking for?

penguinz
01-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Got a rec for a good one (non-whey pref)Lowfat Chocolate milk is actually a good way but the amount of protein is low.

I like Syntrax. It is a combo of whey and casein protiens. The Cookies 'n Cream is excellent.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=IO-1036

Pestilence
01-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Creatine, quality fish oil and protein are pretty much all you need. If you eat a balanced diet, multi-vitamins aren't even necessary.

What does taking fish oil do for you?

RockChalk
01-03-2011, 10:33 AM

What brand do you use?

Silock
01-03-2011, 10:33 AM
What does taking fish oil do for you?

Lots of good stuff, but none of it is performance-enhancing in the gym.

It's a great natural anti-inflammatory that is similar in power to ibuprofen without all the negative side effects. Fish oil is positively correlated with increased fat burning. And it raises your good cholesterol.

Silock
01-03-2011, 10:36 AM
What brand do you use?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/o3.html

It's cheap, and high quality.

I do want to experiment with Krill oil, but that shit is retarded expensive. I'm not convinced there will be a whole lot of difference between it and just taking fish oil, so I haven't really gotten around to spending the extra money on it.

RedThat
01-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Lots of good stuff, but none of it is performance-enhancing in the gym.

It's a great natural anti-inflammatory that is similar in power to ibuprofen without all the negative side effects. Fish oil is positively correlated with increased fat burning. And it raises your good cholesterol.

It also helps contribute to better CNS function. One of the better brain foods out there.

KILLER_CLOWN
01-03-2011, 11:00 AM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/o3.html

It's cheap, and high quality.

I do want to experiment with Krill oil, but that shit is retarded expensive. I'm not convinced there will be a whole lot of difference between it and just taking fish oil, so I haven't really gotten around to spending the extra money on it.

The Krill oil would be less toxic, i'm not convinced that anything from the Ocean is safe to eat at this point. Flax oil works as well and is fairly cheap but you can't cook with it.

tooge
01-03-2011, 11:33 AM
K, I'll play. I have always been an avid runner, recreational cyclist, and regular weight lifter. I run a little less due to sore knees these days, and a bad shoulder injury years ago makes some of the weights worse than others. So, I started working with a heavy bag a few weeks ago very regularly in addition to the others, but just shorteded my time running a bit. I do mostly punching, but also side kicks and knees. So far, it is some of the hardest workout I've ever done. Three minutes of 80 percent or so effort is brutal. I try to do three "rounds" of three minutes with footwork and mixing punches from jabs to roundhouses, uppercuts, and straight punches.

penguinz
01-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Two Lypo-6X capsules after waking up.
Sausage and egg breakfast burrito

Before workout 1 scoop Syntrax, 5mg Creatine, 1 scoop Jack3d

Chest workout

Post workout: 5 mg Creatine, 1 scoop Syntrax and then some high protein pasta with meat sauce.

jbwm89
01-03-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm 6'4" and I hover around 225-230. When I am down at the school I utilize the rec center and usually work my way down to 215 with some decent muscle mass but when I come back to saint joe for breaks I don't have a decent place to work out and I end up putting it all back on. Any ideas besides the regular stuff you always hear to help keep some of the weight off while I wait to go back to school. Fyi I drink probably 2-3 times a week and that is not really something I can honestly say I would be able to cut back on much, other than that I still play a lot of sports and I am pretty active.

penguinz
01-03-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm 6'4" and I hover around 225-230. When I am down at the school I utilize the rec center and usually work my way down to 215 with some decent muscle mass but when I come back to saint joe for breaks I don't have a decent place to work out and I end up putting it all back on. Any ideas besides the regular stuff you always hear to help keep some of the weight off while I wait to go back to school. Fyi I drink probably 2-3 times a week and that is not really something I can honestly say I would be able to cut back on much, other than that I still play a lot of sports and I am pretty active.Why can you not cut back on drinking?

rageeumr
01-03-2011, 12:10 PM
I'm 6'4" and I hover around 225-230. When I am down at the school I utilize the rec center and usually work my way down to 215 with some decent muscle mass but when I come back to saint joe for breaks I don't have a decent place to work out and I end up putting it all back on. Any ideas besides the regular stuff you always hear to help keep some of the weight off while I wait to go back to school. Fyi I drink probably 2-3 times a week and that is not really something I can honestly say I would be able to cut back on much, other than that I still play a lot of sports and I am pretty active.

St. Joe has done a lot of work on their trail system, so there's quite a few pretty places to run and bike.

jbwm89
01-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Why can you not cut back on drinking?

I am single, 22 and it is just something I am not wanting to do right now. I try to be realistic about what I am really going to get done.

jbwm89
01-03-2011, 12:11 PM
St. Joe has done a lot of work on their trail system, so there's quite a few pretty places to run and bike.

That is very true I work down by the riverside trail. I wonder if a bike would be a good investment.

Silock
01-03-2011, 12:31 PM
The Krill oil would be less toxic, i'm not convinced that anything from the Ocean is safe to eat at this point. Flax oil works as well and is fairly cheap but you can't cook with it.

Fish oil isn't toxic, and most of it comes from fish farms, where they control they quality of the fish. Now, you and I can talk about the pros and cons of fish farms on the local environment in another thread, but quality fish oil is far from toxic.

runnercyclist
01-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Ran 3 miles yesterday and 3.5 today.

rageeumr
01-03-2011, 03:26 PM
I did 1,000 yards in the pool today. It's my longest swim since August. I actually started out planning to do about 600 but I felt pretty strong so I kept going.

eazyb81
01-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Silock/anyone...

Why are you looking for supplements if you are only focusing on cardio?

A supplement I really like is Xtend. It is intended to use during your workout that helps prevent catabolism from cardio and speed recovery. But if you dumped the pre and post supps, then you might not like these either.

rageeumr
01-03-2011, 03:45 PM
A supplement I really like is Xtend.

Not to be confused with Extenze.

Anyway I'm with you on the NO supplements...I'm not saying they don't work, but they always made me feel really funny. And it seemed like it was a crapshoot whether they'd make me amped and ready to work out or just kinda feel lightheaded.

But you really can't go wrong with protein. I don't really even consider protein a supplement, I consider it food. Whether it's weights, cardio, whatever, I find protein to be beneficial after any kind of workout.

jiveturkey
01-03-2011, 03:48 PM
I started back at the gym for the first time since early Nov (knee surgery).

It felt good to at least get back on the bike.

zonachief
01-03-2011, 03:55 PM
What kind of help are you looking for?

Anything really. Good workouts? I'm debating taking a protein shake but wonder if it will make me gain weight? I know muscle weighs more than fat but my primary goal is weight loss in a healthy time frame. Nothing crazy. Just planning on working hard and eating better. Not a big supplement fan but wonder if they will help?

memyselfI
01-03-2011, 03:56 PM
I've been going 5 days a week since Sept.

Not once this year though. Too hungover, too much football, messed up finger. I hope I'm not falling off the wagon...

:grr::cuss:

Brock
01-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Protein shakes are a waste of your money. Work out hard and don't eat too much and you'll lose weight.

memyselfI
01-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Why can you not cut back on drinking?

Good question. If you get a good answer I would love to hear it.

dirk digler
01-03-2011, 04:08 PM
100 fucking sit ups and 1 fucking mile jogs are a waste of fucking time.

I don't know about that. When I was in USMC boot camp that is basically all we did along with push ups. That was the best shape I was ever in.

Anyway I am looking to get back into decent shape anybody got any suggestions besides the obvious of eat healthy, eat less, and workout a little?

chiefzilla1501
01-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Thoughts on the following....
-Is Creatine any better than NO? Funny, but I felt lightheaded using Creatine but don't feel that way with NO
-Use Wheybolic Extreme from GNC. Good? Bad?
-For a while, just drank two small cartons of chocolate milk instead of the whey. Is there a significant difference?

chiefzilla1501
01-03-2011, 04:37 PM
I don't know about that. When I was in USMC boot camp that is basically all we did along with push ups. That was the best shape I was ever in.

Anyway I am looking to get back into decent shape anybody got any suggestions besides the obvious of eat healthy, eat less, and workout a little?

I know others may tell you otherwise, but p90x was the first regiment I've done in a while that I stuck to. And I liked it so much that I'm doing it again. You could probably borrow it from a friend who finished it--guarantee that won't be hard to find. What I like about it is that it forces you to get into a routine, gets you excited about visible gains at the end, and for me it helps cram in a million exercises into a packed in half hour so you make good use of what little time you have. And really follow the diet program--months later, it's made me ridiculously smarter about buying at the grocery store.

I'm going to do it again, but use the book instead of the DVD (cuts out a good 10-15 minutes of workout), going to do a more intense plyo workout, not doing Kenpo... period, gonna sub a cardio workout and stretch for yoga.

keg in kc
01-03-2011, 04:55 PM
I'm not and never will be as fitness-crazy as most of you guys, but I've been making slow, steady progress. 2009 began at @240 pounds, 2010 began at @230 pounds and 2011 began at @210. I have a birthday in 5-6 weeks, and I'd like my gift to myself to be a weight around 200 for the first time in over a decade, since my mid twenties. I should be able to do that.

My biggest problem is that I'm a start-and-stop kind of guy. Hopefully eventually I'll be able to maintain something for the long term. Motivation is always going to be a weakness, both for exercise and diet. But, however it's happened, I'm in better shape right now than I've been in since the mid-90s, and I'd imagine I'll be in better shape yet a few months from now.

Between travel and illness today was my first run since before Christmas. I was going to take it easy, try and work my way back into it, just go 15 minutes or so. But I ended up doing 25, which I'm pretty happy about. Covered 2-2.25 miles, estimated.

Think that's a good start to the year. I'm able to run more than I could 12 months ago, and I'm a lot lighter.

Silock
01-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Why are you looking for supplements if you are only focusing on cardio?

A supplement I really like is Xtend. It is intended to use during your workout that helps prevent catabolism from cardio and speed recovery. But if you dumped the pre and post supps, then you might not like these either.

Xtend is okay, but severely overpriced. It's way cheaper to buy the individual ingredients by themselves and mix it together yourself. However, it does have a LOT of ingredients that haven't actually been proven to do anything.

Silock
01-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Anyway I'm with you on the NO supplements...I'm not saying they don't work,

It's okay. You can say it.

Silock
01-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Anything really. Good workouts? I'm debating taking a protein shake but wonder if it will make me gain weight? I know muscle weighs more than fat but my primary goal is weight loss in a healthy time frame. Nothing crazy. Just planning on working hard and eating better. Not a big supplement fan but wonder if they will help?

The only thing that will make you gain weight is eating more calories than you burn.

However, protein is an important part of any diet, whether you're exercising or not, or whether you're just doing cardio or lifting weights.

The only thing shakes are good for is convenience. Real food is always better.

Silock
01-03-2011, 05:04 PM

What kind of shape are you trying to be in? Do you have a goal? That's the important first step. I mean specific goals, not like "lose a little weight."

If you want to run a marathon, train for it. If you want to be able to run 4 miles a day, train for that. If you want to be able to bench press a car, train for it. If you want to be able to squat a mountain, train for it.

But you need a goal.

Silock
01-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Thoughts on the following....
-Is Creatine any better than NO? Funny, but I felt lightheaded using Creatine but don't feel that way with NO

Yes, it's better. Creatine actually works. NO supplements don't. If you felt lightheaded using creatine, then it was either all in your head, or you used a creatine supplement that had a bunch of other shit in it. A good tub of creatine monohydrate is dirt cheap, and can be found anywhere for very, very cheap as long as it's the only ingredient.

-Use Wheybolic Extreme from GNC. Good? Bad?

Depends on your goals. Why are you using it?

-For a while, just drank two small cartons of chocolate milk instead of the whey. Is there a significant difference?

Yes, but again, it depends on your needs and goals. If you are trying to get a lot of protein, then it's not good enough. But if you don't struggle to get enough protein, then it's more than adequate.

dirk digler
01-03-2011, 05:40 PM
What kind of shape are you trying to be in? Do you have a goal? That's the important first step. I mean specific goals, not like "lose a little weight."

If you want to run a marathon, train for it. If you want to be able to run 4 miles a day, train for that. If you want to be able to bench press a car, train for it. If you want to be able to squat a mountain, train for it.

But you need a goal.

My goal is to lose about 15 pounds and get to 170. I would like to be in better cardio shape and lose my beer belly.

dirk digler
01-03-2011, 05:47 PM
I know others may tell you otherwise, but p90x was the first regiment I've done in a while that I stuck to. And I liked it so much that I'm doing it again. You could probably borrow it from a friend who finished it--guarantee that won't be hard to find. What I like about it is that it forces you to get into a routine, gets you excited about visible gains at the end, and for me it helps cram in a million exercises into a packed in half hour so you make good use of what little time you have. And really follow the diet program--months later, it's made me ridiculously smarter about buying at the grocery store.

I'm going to do it again, but use the book instead of the DVD (cuts out a good 10-15 minutes of workout), going to do a more intense plyo workout, not doing Kenpo... period, gonna sub a cardio workout and stretch for yoga.

Thanks I will look into it.

keg in kc
01-03-2011, 05:55 PM
My goal is to lose about 15 pounds and get to 170. I would like to be in better cardio shape and lose my beer belly.But you worked so hard for so long to get that beer belly.

chiefzilla1501
01-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Yes, it's better. Creatine actually works. NO supplements don't. If you felt lightheaded using creatine, then it was either all in your head, or you used a creatine supplement that had a bunch of other shit in it. A good tub of creatine monohydrate is dirt cheap, and can be found anywhere for very, very cheap as long as it's the only ingredient.
Interesting. Thanks!

Depends on your goals. Why are you using it?
I'm doing p90x again, but this time my goal is to integrate a lot more cardio. p90x got me pretty huge, but I never felt I was in great cardio shape. I'd say whereas last year I was trying to get muscle huge, this year, I'm hoping to get lean ripped.

Yes, but again, it depends on your needs and goals. If you are trying to get a lot of protein, then it's not good enough. But if you don't struggle to get enough protein, then it's more than adequate.
Also above. Thanks -- this is a great thread.

Count Zarth
01-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Never, ever taking a month off lifting again. I am sore like a bitch.

Easy 6
01-03-2011, 06:41 PM
<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/x7ttvq?width=&theme=none&foreground=%23F7FFFD&highlight=%23FFC300&background=%23171D1B&start=&animatedTitle=&iframe=0&additionalInfos=0&autoPlay=0&hideInfos=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/x7ttvq?width=&theme=none&foreground=%23F7FFFD&highlight=%23FFC300&background=%23171D1B&start=&animatedTitle=&iframe=0&additionalInfos=0&autoPlay=0&hideInfos=0" width="480" height="360" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ttvq_how-much-ya-benchy_fun">How much ya bench?</a></b><br /><i>Uploaded by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/Shakey74">Shakey74</a>. - <a target="_self" href="http://www.dailymotion.com/us/channel/fun">See more comedy videos.</a></i>

Demonpenz
01-03-2011, 06:43 PM
if you eat or get a piss poor diet when you are stressed I would look into Overeaters annonymous and get a sponser that is on your ass in real life.

Silock
01-03-2011, 07:19 PM
My goal is to lose about 15 pounds and get to 170. I would like to be in better cardio shape and lose my beer belly.

Eat less to lose weight.

As for cardio shape -- What kind? Biking? Sprints? Distance?

Silock
01-03-2011, 07:21 PM
I'm doing p90x again, but this time my goal is to integrate a lot more cardio. p90x got me pretty huge, but I never felt I was in great cardio shape. I'd say whereas last year I was trying to get muscle huge, this year, I'm hoping to get lean ripped.

Well, the Wheybolic is ridiculously expensive, for starters. And it has a bunch of shit in it that hasn't been proven to actually do anything for you, like L-Carnitine. The whey hydrosolates haven't been proven to be any better than regular whey isolates, either. It's nice that it has some BCAAs in it, but those can be purchased separately for much cheaper. You can get a tub of Gaspari Myofusion or ON 100% Whey for like $30, as opposed to the same amount of Wheybolic for $60.

CHENZ A!
01-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Recommendations on a good cheap creatine supplement anyone?

Silock
01-03-2011, 07:32 PM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/crea.html

Tasteless, odorless. You can take it with water if you want. It's pretty much amazing. One tub will last you for a very, very long time.

zonachief
01-03-2011, 07:36 PM
The only thing that will make you gain weight is eating more calories than you burn.

However, protein is an important part of any diet, whether you're exercising or not, or whether you're just doing cardio or lifting weights.

The only thing shakes are good for is convenience. Real food is always better.

thanks man. appreciate the input.

CHENZ A!
01-03-2011, 07:48 PM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/crea.html

Tasteless, odorless. You can take it with water if you want. It's pretty much amazing. One tub will last you for a very, very long time.

Is it best to take pre or post workout? Thanks man!

Silock
01-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Is it best to take pre or post workout? Thanks man!

Post, 5g per day is fine.

CHENZ A!
01-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Post, 5g per day is fine.

Do you think it's necessary to "saturate" your muscles(like it says on the label in the link you provided) when you first begin using creatine?

headsnap
01-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Training beats talent when talent doesn't train

I race BMX in the National Series and I have recently moved up to the 41+ Expert Class(yes, I'm 43 and having a blast racing 'kids' bikes. :) ). A year ago I was in my best shape ever but lately(from July on) life has gotten in the way... I would still ride the bike as much as possible but my diet has been crap and I rarely made it to the gym. Last week I raced the Christmas Classic in Columbus, OH(2nd biggest race of the year) and got my ass spanked!

I have started up my normal training gym training routine(informed the wife of the blocks of time I NEED), plus I have contacted a local Pro to train with. He should be able to point me in the direction needed to gain the explosive power needed for gate starts and also help with track skills(which is an issue in the winter, we have to drive 2 hours to Indy to hit up an indoor track.)

I started in this sport 4 1/2 years ago. All my life I have been an endurance athlete, Cross Country in HS, ran tons of 10ks, raced Enduro and Harescrambles on the motorcycle and did Cross Country MTB in the early 90's. Took 13 years off 2 wheels. I started racing BMX when I got my kids into it and noticed that there were tons of us old guys out there. This is an intense sprint sport, 45 seconds of pure power and skill. I'm 5' 11" 165lbs, still have that endurance build, I need to gain some muscle mass.

Thank you for this thread, I will post on my progress.

In the attached photo, I'm out front on the green bike:

penguinz
01-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Do you think it's necessary to "saturate" your muscles(like it says on the label in the link you provided) when you first begin using creatine?There is no need to load. Just take your 5mg post workout.

Silock
01-03-2011, 09:29 PM
There is no need to load. Just take your 5mg post workout.

This.

You can if you want to, but it's not going to make a difference in the long-run.

Silock
01-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Training beats talent when talent doesn't train

I race BMX in the National Series and I have recently moved up to the 41+ Expert Class(yes, I'm 43 and having a blast racing 'kids' bikes. :) ). A year ago I was in my best shape ever but lately(from July on) life has gotten in the way... I would still ride the bike as much as possible but my diet has been crap and I rarely made it to the gym. Last week I raced the Christmas Classic in Columbus, OH(2nd biggest race of the year) and got my ass spanked!

I have started up my normal training gym training routine(informed the wife of the blocks of time I NEED), plus I have contacted a local Pro to train with. He should be able to point me in the direction needed to gain the explosive power needed for gate starts and also help with track skills(which is an issue in the winter, we have to drive 2 hours to Indy to hit up an indoor track.)

I started in this sport 4 1/2 years ago. All my life I have been an endurance athlete, Cross Country in HS, ran tons of 10ks, raced Enduro and Harescrambles on the motorcycle and did Cross Country MTB in the early 90's. Took 13 years off 2 wheels. I started racing BMX when I got my kids into it and noticed that there were tons of us old guys out there. This is an intense sprint sport, 45 seconds of pure power and skill. I'm 5' 11" 165lbs, still have that endurance build, I need to gain some muscle mass.

Thank you for this thread, I will post on my progress.

In the attached photo, I'm out front on the green bike:

Dude, that's awesome!

D-Train6906
01-03-2011, 11:06 PM
This.

You can if you want to, but it's not going to make a difference in the long-run.

Creatin sucks in the long run, period. Take whey protein and keep lifting. Thats all you need.

Silock
01-03-2011, 11:21 PM
Creatin sucks in the long run, period. Take whey protein and keep lifting. Thats all you need.

As far as I know, this is untrue. Creatine is the only supplement I know of that has proven, consistent, reliable results. If you have any contrary evidence to provide, I'm all ears.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12131259

Abstract
PURPOSE: The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of creatine (Cr) supplementation on force generation during an isometric bench-press in resistance-trained men.

METHODS: 32 resistance-trained men were matched for peak isometric force and assigned in double-blind fashion to either a Cr or placebo group. Subjects performed an isometric bench-press test involving five maximal isometric contractions before and after 5 d of Cr (20 g.d-1 Cr + 180 g.d-1 dextrose) or placebo (200 g.d-1 dextrose). Body composition was measured before and after supplementation. Subjects completed 24-h urine collections throughout the study period; these were subsequently analyzed to provide total Cr and creatinine excretion.

RESULTS: The amount of Cr retained over the supplementation period was 45 +/- 18 g (mean +/- SD), with an estimated intramuscular Cr storage of 43 (13-61) mmol x kg(-1) x dry weight muscle (median [range]). Four subjects in the Cr group were classified as "nonresponders" (< or =21 mmol x kg(-1) x dry weight muscle increase following Cr supplementation) and the remaining 17 subjects were classed as "responders" (> or =32 mmol x kg(-1) x dry weight muscle). For the Cr group, peak force and total force pre- or post-supplementation were not different from placebo. However, when the analysis was confined to the responders, both the change in peak force [Repetition 2: 59(81) N vs -26(85) N; Repetition 3: 45(59) N vs -26(64) N) and the change in total force (Repetition 1: 1471(1274) N vs 209(1517) N; Repetition 2: 1575(1254) N vs 196(1413) N; Repetition 3: 1278(1245) N vs -3(1118) N; Repetition 4: 918(935) N vs -83(1095) N] post-supplementation were significantly greater compared with the placebo group (P < 0.01). For the Cr group, estimated Cr uptake was inversely correlated with training status (r = -0.68, N = 21, P = 0.001). Cr significantly increased body weight (84.1 +/- 8.6 kg pre- vs 85.3 +/- 8.3 kg post-supplementation) and fat-free mass (71.8 +/- 6.0 kg pre- vs 72.6 +/- 6.0 kg post-supplementation), with the magnitude of increase being significantly greater in the responder group than in the placebo group.

CONCLUSION: Five days of Cr supplementation increased body weight and fat-free body mass in resistance-trained men who were classified as responders. Peak force and total force during a repeated maximal isometric bench-press test were also significantly greater in the responders compared to the placebo group.

Now, whether or not someone is a responder or not is a different story.

As for whey protein, you don't even *need* that. You just need to get enough protein per day, and whey protein can certainly help with that, but it's not necessary.

Agree to keep lifting hard.

D-Train6906
01-03-2011, 11:33 PM
Creatin only gives you mass, by giving you water weight in your muscles. As soon as you stop taking it, the water weight goes away.

If it were me, and I was trying to gain mass, I would only take protein, but like you said, you really don't need that either.

People take creatine because they're impatient and want results fast. Get enough protein and lift weights at least 3 times a week for 6 months, and you'll see the light at the end of the tunnel.

EDIT: Another thing to help you get results in your upper-body. Do LOWER-BODY workouts as well. Your body is smart, if only the upper is growing, and not the lower, your body doesn't respond as well.

Silock
01-04-2011, 12:06 AM
That's not how creatine adds mass, though.

Is there an aspect to it that is water weight gain? Yes, for some people, but this is a very vaguely understood phenomenon. But that goes away after a while, if it even happens.

Creatine itself doesn't actually GIVE you mass. Your muscles use ATP (adenosine triphosphate) as a primary energy source when ATP loses a phosphate molecule, turning the ATP into ADP (adenosine diphosphate). Creatine acts as a phosphate donor, which allows your muscles to turn ADP back into ATP, allowing you to burn more ATPs, and use more energy, and lift heavier and harder.

That's where the magic happens. You can't just take it and sit around and get bigger. It also works best when you're using fast-twitch fibers (lower rep sets).

It's all based upon how hard you're willing to work in the gym. If you do 5 reps of 225 on the bench without creatine, taking creatine and doing 5 reps of 225 isn't going to make you bigger. However, if you take advantage of what creatine does for you and crank out reps with a heavier weight, you'll grow.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8504634

Abstract
1. The present experiment was undertaken to investigate the influence of oral creatine supplementation, shown previously to increase the total creatine content of human skeletal muscle (Harris RC, Soderlund K, Hultman E. Clin Sci 1992; 83: 367-74), on skeletal muscle isokinetic torque and the accumulation of plasma ammonia and blood lactate during five bouts of maximal exercise. 2. Twelve subjects undertook five bouts of 30 maximal voluntary isokinetic contractions, interspersed with 1 min recovery periods, before and after 5 days of placebo (4 x 6 g of glucose/day, n = 6) or creatine (4 x 5 g of creatine plus 1 g of glucose/day, n = 6) oral supplementation. Muscle torque production and plasma ammonia and blood lactate accumulation were measured during and after exercise on each treatment. 3. No difference was seen when comparing muscle peak torque production during exercise before and after placebo ingestion. After creatine ingestion, muscle peak torque production was greater in all subjects during the final 10 contractions of exercise bout 1 (P < 0.05), throughout the whole of exercise bouts 2 (P < 0.01), 3 (P < 0.05) and 4 (P = 0.057) and during contractions 11-20 of the final exercise bout (P < 0.05), when compared with the corresponding measurements made before creatine ingestion. Plasma ammonia accumulation was lower during and after exercise after creatine ingestion. No differences were found when comparing blood lactate levels.

D-Train6906
01-04-2011, 12:25 AM
Silock, quit posting the links. I'm not bashing you or anything, but anybody with any bodybuilding knowledge knows creatine is just not the answer. Creatine is for soft people looking for gains within a month. I hate to break it to people, muscle gain doesn't happen in a month. Muscle gain is physically and emotionally draining. You need to bust ass for 6 months to a year to even get a start to where most people, hoping to get "buff," need to be.

Silock
01-04-2011, 12:50 AM
First off, where did I ever say that creatine was a substitute for hard work? I didn't. Nor did I ever say that building muscle was fast and easy.

I don't agree with your statement that "anybody with any bodybuilding knowledge knows creatine is just not the answer." Guys like Charles Poliquin, Christian Thibadeau, Alwyn Cosgrove, and Lyle McDonald have all forgotten more about muscle building and fitness than everyone on this site put together currently knows... and they all support creatine usage. And I know there are far more experts out there that also support it; I'm just not aware of them off the top of my head. Again, not as the end-all, be-all of fitness, but simply as another tool in the toolbox that can help you get results.

But the science is well-researched and documented. Regardless of whether or not "anybody with any bodybuilding knowledge" disagrees anecdotally, the scientific facts remain -- it absolutely helps, and we know exactly why it does so. It's proven, and repeatable by anyone that is a creatine responder.

You said that it only gives mass by increasing water weight, which is factually incorrect. I'm not trying to bash you, either, but your exact statement was misinformation.

Generally, though, I agree with what you are trying to say. There's no substitute for hard work, and to really get the best gains means putting in the work in the gym consistently, and for a long time. If you don't do that, then there's no supplement on earth that's going to help you.

But for someone that already busts their ass and is looking for a little something extra, proven supplements are a good thing.

ChiefsrGood
01-04-2011, 04:06 AM
Silock, quit posting the links. I'm not bashing you or anything, but anybody with any bodybuilding knowledge knows creatine is just not the answer. Creatine is for soft people looking for gains within a month. I hate to break it to people, muscle gain doesn't happen in a month. Muscle gain is physically and emotionally draining. You need to bust ass for 6 months to a year to even get a start to where most people, hoping to get "buff," need to be.

:shake:

Phobia
01-04-2011, 04:41 AM

Dude - don't you remember the thousands of burpees and side-straddle hops (mountain climbers)? Obstacle courses.... Plus the hours of marching? We did way more than just pushups, situps, and jog.

dirk digler
01-04-2011, 06:24 AM
Dude - don't you remember the thousands of burpees and side-straddle hops (mountain climbers)? Obstacle courses.... Plus the hours of marching? We did way more than just pushups, situps, and jog.

Oh I know. The point I was trying to make was at the core of the training was pushups, situps, and jogging\running.

I will add I found a workout regiment a Marine made to prepare poolees going to boot camp and I just started that yesterday. It consists of doing push ups, situps, pullups and jogging\walking in intervals for 25 minutes to start out with. I don't have anything to do pull ups with so I am skipping that part.

Marcellus
01-04-2011, 06:25 AM

I think you might just want to quit posting all together.

Saulbadguy
01-04-2011, 07:53 AM

Burpees.

Shudder.

Cave Johnson
01-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Per the workout app, I hadn't worked out since December 3 (until yesterday). Gained 6 lbs (on a typically 6', 175 frame). Gotta love good genetics.

Was thinking of trying CrossFit. What should I expect, other than pain?

NewChief
01-04-2011, 09:06 AM
Per the workout app, I hadn't worked out since December 3 (until yesterday). Gained 6 lbs (on a typically 6', 175 frame). Gotta love good genetics.

Unless you're doing it with a group and at a facility with all the equipment, then you'll need to expect to have to modify quite a few of the exercises, which requires a lot of research. The crossfit.com site has lots of recommendations for substitutions and alternate exercises for the WoD (workout of the day), but you're going to have to dig a little and get hooked into the community.

If you're doing it at a crossfit gym, then you'll be fine.

jbwm89
01-04-2011, 10:21 AM

Myfitnesspal is a pretty cool app. does the workouts and calorie counts together along with tracking progress.

Bowser
01-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Worked out for the first time in three months. Feel like I've never done a pushup in my life. Nowhere to go but up.

Pestilence
01-04-2011, 03:20 PM
So question about Intermittent Fasting.

I'm now taking Fish Oil pills and they say that they're 25 calories a piece. Is that going to screw up the whole fasting thing or are the calories so low that it doesn't matter?

rageeumr
01-04-2011, 03:25 PM
3 mile run today. Had a scare with a dog. Luckily he was all bark.

Brock
01-04-2011, 03:26 PM

I'm now taking Fish Oil pills and they say that they're 25 calories a piece. Is that going to screw up the whole fasting thing or are the calories so low that it doesn't matter?

I vote "doesnt matter".

chiefzilla1501
01-04-2011, 03:26 PM

If you rub one out while taking Fish Oil, the calories burned should balance out the calories put in.

That one's for free.

NewChief
01-04-2011, 04:00 PM
First real fast since around Thanksgiving. I know it's paychological but it feels like my system needed it. Screw all the nasty crap I let myself eat and drink in November and December. I'm actually looking forward to giving up sweets for Lent.

Silock
01-04-2011, 04:48 PM
I vote "doesnt matter".

^

Kyle DeLexus
01-05-2011, 02:30 PM
I've got a question for the thread. Does anyone know of any cycling events in the Kansas City area including Topeka and Lawrence? Thanks.

NewChief
01-05-2011, 02:32 PM
I've got a question for the thread. Does anyone know of any cycling events in the Kansas City area including Topeka and Lawrence? Thanks.

There are quite a few from what I know. My brother-in-law was a pretty big cyclist (had a bad wreck at MS 100 and his wife hasn't let him get back on it) and active up there. He lives out in Olathe now as well, and those roads out there are made for cycling. Good grief.

NewChief
01-05-2011, 02:37 PM

This resource might help:
http://www.kansascyclist.com/events/

Frosty
01-05-2011, 02:37 PM

It won't matter if they are pure fat. When you are fasting, your body is essentially using fat and a little protein from internal sources. Eating pure fat essentially mimics this (though the cals count, of course).

However, fish oil pills on an empty stomach suck because of the fish burps.

CHENZ A!
01-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Basketball game last night, yoga tonight, will do 15 min on the bike and then some lifting tomorrow night. I feel like such a bum for literally doing nothing even remotely athletic since all of my leagues ended in early Dec for the holidays. Not a big sweets eater, but boy did I drink a lot over the holidays. Time to get back on my grind.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kyle DeLexus
01-05-2011, 06:32 PM
This resource might help:
http://www.kansascyclist.com/events/

Thanks for the link NewPhin. I'm doing some research for my internship...need to find cycling events and see if they would like to use our registration software.

Kyle DeLexus
01-05-2011, 06:41 PM
So Silock when you take creatine do you take it with juice or something like I've read you should?

Marcellus
01-05-2011, 06:42 PM
So Silock when you take creatine do you take it with juice or something like I've read you should?

Not necessary.

Silock
01-05-2011, 07:09 PM

Nope.

Like Marcellus said, it's unnecessary.

ChiefsrGood
01-06-2011, 01:21 AM
well I maxed bench today to find out where I stand in this world. I started out lifting again hard November 1st. After a little over 2 months of hard work I've revamped my "upper" body for the best. I 1 repped max today, when I first started my max probably sat around 170. Tonight I'm glad to say I threw up 215 pretty easy. I'm going to try for 225 in a week and I honestly think I'll get it. Not coming in here trying to brag myself up - i'm just very motivated and pleased with the results so far. to put this in perspective my first bench workout was 3x8 I did did 135 8,8,6. Enough said...hope all is well with the rest of you all. I'm doing core on the days I don't lift. Legs will come.

Peace

Silock
01-06-2011, 02:19 AM
I'm happy to say that as of last year, I hit my goal. I wanted to be able to simultaneously do the following, at 172 lbs:

225 bench
315 atg squat
315 dead
155 military press

Gotta figure out a goal for the new year, because those numbers are outdated, as of a while ago. It's just nice to be able to say that I can do all of those in the same workout.

I'm hoping for, at the same weight of 172:

265 bench
365 atg squat
415 deadlift
185 military press

We'll see if I get there or not. I kinda doubt it, but I'm going to try.

NewChief
01-06-2011, 06:38 AM
I'm about 4 days in to curbing my gluttony. This is a frustrating time for me in my weight loss/fitness cycles. After the Holidays, it seems like the sugars and crap I've been eating continue to accumulate and add flab for a week or so even after I stop eating the crap. That's where I am: I've started eating better, but I'm not seeing the results yet.

It usually takes about a week or so, then I turn the corner and start dropping the flab and getting lean. I'm ready for that. Frustrating to be working at something and not seeing results (though I do already feel the results).

Anyone notice similar trends in their "cycles"?

Frosty
01-06-2011, 06:43 AM
Anyone notice similar trends in their "cycles"?

Not really. I've dropped four pounds already this week since getting restarted on Sunday. It's motivating and I could see how your "cycle" (*snort*) would be frustrating.

NewChief
01-06-2011, 06:54 AM
Not really. I've dropped four pounds already this week since getting restarted on Sunday. It's motivating and I could see how your "cycle" (*snort*) would be frustrating.

Yeah, I haven't stepped on the scale. Not sure why. I may be losing weight, but I'm basically judging by looking in the mirror and looking at waist line. I bet I'm up close to 200 lbs. again, though whereas when I'm really lean, I'm at 185.

Frosty
01-06-2011, 07:01 AM
Yeah, I haven't stepped on the scale. Not sure why. I may be losing weight, but I'm basically judging by looking in the mirror and looking at waist line. I bet I'm up close to 200 lbs. again, though whereas when I'm really lean, I'm at 185.

Yeah, I was bummed when I got on the scale after New Years and saw I was almost back to 200 again after getting down to 169 a year ago. If there is such a thing as a "fat setpoint', it appears that 200 lbs is it for me. :banghead:

CHENZ A!
01-06-2011, 07:31 AM

Man, I can totally relate to where you're at right now. How tall are you? I'm 6'3" and probably right around 200 at the moment, normally in the 185 range too.
Posted via Mobile Device

NewChief
01-06-2011, 07:37 AM
Man, I can totally relate to where you're at right now. How tall are you? I'm 6'3" and probably right around 200 at the moment, normally in the 185 range too.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm 6'2". I've thought about trying to get down to 180 and actually tried last year, but I never managed to get that low. I may try again this year, just to see what it's like.

NewChief
01-06-2011, 07:41 AM
And as for my fasting... I've gone 3 days of "fasting" in a row, but I'm not fasting a full 24 hours. Basically I eat dinner at 6:30 pm or so then skip until I get home from work and workout and start grazing slightly at 4:30pm or so. So I'm doing more of an eating interval of 2-3 hours each day, not true 24 hour fasts.

Sadly, it's a result of not feeling like packing a lunch or making breakfasts as much as anything. I need to get back on the every other day fasting and eating solid protein and greens on my eating days.

Frosty
01-06-2011, 07:46 AM
And as for my fasting... I've gone 3 days of "fasting" in a row, but I'm not fasting a full 24 hours. Basically I eat dinner at 6:30 pm or so then skip until I get home from work and workout and start grazing slightly at 4:30pm or so. So I'm doing more of an eating interval of 2-3 hours each day, not true 24 hour fasts.

Sadly, it's a result of not feeling like packing a lunch or making breakfasts as much as anything. I need to get back on the every other day fasting and eating solid protein and greens on my eating days.

I have missed it but do you just not eat every other day? A lot of people do 24 hour fasts by eating dinner at 6 pm and then not eat again until 7 pm the next day and then eat normally the following day until 7 pm (eat dinner again at 6). Rinse and repeat. Is that what you do or do you just not eat every other day?

NewChief
01-06-2011, 07:50 AM
I have missed it but do you just not eat every other day? A lot of people do 24 hour fasts by eating dinner at 6 pm and then not eat again until 7 pm the next day and then eat normally the following day until 7 pm (eat dinner again at 6). Rinse and repeat. Is that what you do or do you just not eat every other day?

I usually do intermittent fasting, yeah. I would only do 2-3 fasts a week, usually Tuesdays and Thursdays with another day thrown in on occasion.

Frosty
01-06-2011, 07:56 AM
I usually do intermittent fasting, yeah. I would only do 2-3 fasts a week, usually Tuesdays and Thursdays with another day thrown in on occasion.

So you just flat out don't eat on those days?

I IF by having an eating window every day between 3 and 8 pm (I get off work at 3, so it kind of works out to 4 - 8 except on weekends). I really like it and I really like not having to take a lunch to work. The problem though, is my stomach doesn't like eating that much food in that amount of time sometimes. I have been debating about switching to 24 hour schedule but then I would be back to messing around with lunches.

NewChief
01-06-2011, 08:08 AM
So you just flat out don't eat on those days?

I IF by having an eating window every day between 3 and 8 pm (I get off work at 3, so it kind of works out to 4 - 8 except on weekends). I really like it and I really like not having to take a lunch to work. The problem though, is my stomach doesn't like eating that much food in that amount of time sometimes. I have been debating about switching to 24 hour schedule but then I would be back to messing around with lunches.

I think either works out fine. You can get all esoteric about the benefits of working out in a fasted state and such... but the real "magic" of fasting is caloric restriction and reduction, imo. For me, t makes it much easier to hit an average weekly caloric deficit than any other "diet" I've done in the past.

Frosty
01-06-2011, 08:15 AM
... but the real "magic" of fasting is caloric restriction and reduction, imo.

For weight loss, yes. There are some health reasons, too, like cell autophagy. It also appears that it is good to deplete the liver of glycogen (http://healthcorrelator.blogspot.com/2010/10/amounts-of-water-carbohydrates-fat-and.html) occasionally (better blood sugar control for one reason).

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-06-2011, 08:27 AM
Anyone who met me at the bash will understand the significance of this photo:

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=95676&stc=1&d=1294327595

NewChief
01-06-2011, 08:49 AM
For weight loss, yes. There are some health reasons, too, like cell autophagy. It also appears that it is good to deplete the liver of glycogen (http://healthcorrelator.blogspot.com/2010/10/amounts-of-water-carbohydrates-fat-and.html) occasionally (better blood sugar control for one reason).

Oh, I agree with all that. It also has significant mental benefits for me. That being said: I think that the chief reason (for me) to do ADF is for easy weight maintenance or loss.

Here's my deal: I love to eat. I absolutely love to eat. I love food. I cook constantly and read food blogs like a mad man. I like the Holidays predominantly because of the foods I get to eat at that time of year. When we go on vacation, we choose destinations based on the foodways of the area. I research places to eat like other people research attractions when I travel.

As such, I overeat when I eat. Like... almost always. Thankfully, I have a crazy high metabolism and have been able to get away with it all my life without getting obese (or even "fat" for that matter). With IF/ADF dieting, it removes the temptation and problems with overeating. When I'm eating, I'm eating whatever the hell I want for the most part. When I'm not eating... I'm just not eating. I don't have to worry about snacking 100 calories 6 times a day or counting calories or any of that fussy, hard to quantify bullshit. I just don't eat. It's so easy. I never really found it to be hard to not eat 24 hours at a time, though I know for others (my wife for example) it's extremely hard. For me it's easy, and makes my "diet" issues extremely simple.

Also, it empowers me. If I'm on a fast and a great eating opportunity comes up (one of my Hispanic or Indian students brings me some of his mom's home cooking), then I can just break the fast and eat, knowing that it's easy enough to just fast the next day. Fasting gives me confidence in my ability to easily maintain my weight, and thus I don't beat myself up about my eating decisions.

Frosty
01-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Thankfully, I have a crazy high metabolism and have been able to get away with it all my life without getting obese (or even "fat" for that matter).

I officially hate you.

When I'm eating, I'm eating whatever the hell I want for the most part. When I'm not eating... I'm just not eating. I don't have to worry about snacking 100 calories 6 times a day or counting calories or any of that fussy, hard to quantify bullshit. I just don't eat. It's so easy. I never really found it to be hard to not eat 24 hours at a time, though I know for others (my wife for example) it's extremely hard. For me it's easy, and makes my "diet" issues extremely simple.

I can't do the fussy stuff either. I've tried the counting fat grams, counting calories, counting carbs, etc and it just doesn't work long term for me. I get tired of it eventually and fall back to old habits.

I used to be quite a bit heavier and looked 10 months pregnant. Twelve years ago, I lost almost 50 pounds by doing a program that you could eat whatever you wanted but only when physically hungry (and only enough to satisfy the hunger). I maintained that loss for five years and then slowly regained 25 lbs and then essentially maintained there since. Anyway, the point is that I am pretty in tune with my hunger signals and do really well with "eat now, don't eat now" rules. I know hunger isn't going to kill me and will pass pretty quickly if I don't eat right away.

Unfortunately, I can't eat whatever I want like you. I have found that sugar will pack on the pounds pretty quickly as will excessive carbs. I also get sore joints with too many carbs. I pretty much jacked up my metabolism when I was younger. :huh:

Pestilence
01-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Anyone who met me at the bash will understand the significance of this photo:

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=95676&stc=1&d=1294327595

You're wearing khaki shorts with a wife beater tucked in and black slippers with white socks?

Just fucking with yah......good job man!

CHENZ A!
01-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Do you guys have a lack of energy at all when you're fasting?

I know I COULD do it, but I'm sure I would hate every minute of it! LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

penguinz
01-06-2011, 09:51 AM
You're wearing khaki shorts with a wife beater tucked in and black slippers with white socks?
THIS!

Frosty
01-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Do you guys have a lack of energy at all when you're fasting? [/size]

No. The opposite, actually.

NewChief
01-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Do you guys have a lack of energy at all when you're fasting?

I know I COULD do it, but I'm sure I would hate every minute of it! LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

As he said, pretty much the opposite. I get kind of jacked from it. Like I said, it has psychological benefits for me.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-06-2011, 10:52 AM

Just fucking with yah......good job man!

LMAO

Those are "prison tennies", thank you. That's how we roll in the Az. 602, beeyatch!

Thanks.

Frosty
01-06-2011, 11:36 AM
There is one thing about IFing that can be annoying.

Every now and then, you can get a "hungry day" where you are just hungry all day long. It isn't overwhelming or anything - just annoying.

I'm having one of those today. My stomach been growling about every 30 minutes or so. It passes but comes back again a half hour later. Usually it takes 3 - 4 hours to come back.

Stupid stomach - just eat a love handle, dammit! :cuss:

NewChief
01-06-2011, 11:42 AM

Every now and then, you can get a "hungry day" where you are just hungry all day long. It isn't overwhelming or anything - just annoying.

I'm having one of those today. My stomach been growling about every 30 minutes or so. It passes but comes back again a half hour later. Usually it takes 3 - 4 hours to come back.

I hear you. You probably know this, but killing a bunch of water can help that out and tell the stomach to shut up.

CHENZ A!
01-06-2011, 11:42 AM

Drink some water maybe.
Posted via Mobile Device

Frosty
01-06-2011, 11:44 AM
I hear you. You probably know this, but killing a bunch of water can help that out and tell the stomach to shut up.

Yeah, and tea works well, too - usually.

Just not today. No biggie, though; I just felt like complaining. o:-)

Count Zarth
01-07-2011, 11:27 AM
I'm fasting today.

At my grandmother's.

I have IRON willpower.

Bowser
01-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Good god, you never realize just how fast strength and endurance leaves the body when you stop living healthy. I've worked out two and a half times this week, and am sore everywhere. The good (bad) news is I'm going to a trainer tomorrow. I have come to the conclsuion I may just puke.

Bowser
01-07-2011, 11:58 AM
I'm fasting today.

At my grandmother's.

I have IRON willpower.

You know she's going to cook her little schnuckums' FAVORITE cookies today!

Lurk
01-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Do you want to use creatine if you are trying to lose weight?

Silock
01-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Do you want to use creatine if you are trying to lose weight?

Lose weight or fat?

Anything that will help you do more work means you will be burning more calories, which means more fat burned, potentially.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Lose weight or fat?

Anything that will help you do more work means you will be burning more calories, which means more fat burned, potentially.

I've scaled my cardio down to 1 hour, every other day, and no cardio except a 5 min warm-up on lifting days.

Tylerthigpen!1!
01-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Alright I'm going to stop bumping the old fitness thread. I can't thank you all enough for posting in this thread and the old one. I'm finally motivated to really get lifting again/start eating right.

Silock
01-12-2011, 07:49 PM
What kind of lifting do you do?

ChiefsrGood
01-12-2011, 07:52 PM
edit

ChiefsrGood
01-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Well I one repped 225 yesterday. my bench has gone up like 40 lbs from my personal best in 2.5 months. When I started 2.5 months ago it would have probably been around 170. Not bad considering I weigh like 155-160. I've put on about 10-15 pounds of solid weight. Just got a good one in.

KurtCobain
01-12-2011, 09:59 PM
So, since I got to the weight I wanted, I've gained seven more pounds.

Dunit35
01-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Been running every day since last Thursday. Hoping to have a future agility test in a few weeks. Switching to every other day on runs and weights opposite days. Ran 3/4 mile in 5.50. The next day I was dead after half a mile. My body must have been worn out from the day before?

Saulbadguy
01-13-2011, 07:17 AM
I watched "The Biggest Loser" show for the first time, thinking it might motivate me, or teach me something about weight loss.

Hah.

I watched the first 2 episodes of this season, and learned the key to weight loss is to work hard for about 5 minutes and then break down and cry about being fat. The show offers no tools or advice beyond what products they want to advertise to you, and very little motivation because all of the characters are genuinely unlikeable (and stupid). The only reason to watch the show would be to watch gigantic people struggle to perform ridiculous tasks.

Saulbadguy
01-13-2011, 07:18 AM
I'm fasting today.

At my grandmother's.

I have IRON willpower.

IRON is usually the weakest metal in role playing games. Well, maybe a tad stronger than bronze. You should say Platinum. Or Dragonbone. :)

rageeumr
01-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Chiefs game (and beer) + snow + freezing temps + broken treadmill = a bit of a running break for me. Swam 750 yards in the afternoon and then rode the spin bike for 40 minutes in the evening yesterday though.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-13-2011, 08:53 AM
IRON is usually the weakest metal in role playing games. Well, maybe a tad stronger than bronze. You should say Platinum. Or Dragonbone. :)
LMAO

Brock
01-13-2011, 08:55 AM
I watched "The Biggest Loser" show for the first time, thinking it might motivate me, or teach me something about weight loss.

Hah.

I watched the first 2 episodes of this season, and learned the key to weight loss is to work hard for about 5 minutes and then break down and cry about being fat. The show offers no tools or advice beyond what products they want to advertise to you, and very little motivation because all of the characters are genuinely unlikeable (and stupid). The only reason to watch the show would be to watch gigantic people struggle to perform ridiculous tasks.

I agree with your criticisms of the show, but it's still amazing to watch a 400 lb man turn into a 180 lb man.

burt
01-13-2011, 09:06 AM
I am 280 now and dedicated to get to 220! Since I wrestled in college, I can identify with Rulon!

Saulbadguy
01-13-2011, 09:07 AM
I agree with your criticisms of the show, but it's still amazing to watch a 400 lb man turn into a 180 lb man.

Agreed. That's madness.

Demonpenz
01-13-2011, 09:39 AM
they should have the psycholgy behind losing the weight, about how you have to take care of your body first and worry about your job later, because if your are dead from twinkie overdose you can't do your job.

Tylerthigpen!1!
01-13-2011, 03:59 PM
What kind of lifting do you do?

Well today I squatted 4x8 then did a leg circuit. mixed some back in there too. Depending on the lift, i do 4x8 or 4x15. Sometimes I do 4x20 squats. Really I'm just doing what I learned in high school. Usually have a nice mix of machine and db.

Omaha
01-13-2011, 04:05 PM

That's too bad, man. I use exercise to help deal with stress. I feel much better after a workout. Have you tried that?

Omaha
01-13-2011, 04:06 PM
My advice is to not target a specific weight. That just gets you into trouble.

Target looking good and/or specific strength goals. If you focus too much on gaining weight, you could end up missing the forest for the trees.

This is great advice.

Omaha
01-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Drew you mentioned about how to not aim for a specific target weight and to just go with how you look, I can agree with that to a certain extent.

I am currently taking an introduction to health and fitness course and one of the things they always emphasize on is BMI. We know BMI is linked to our bodyweight, but it is a poor thing to use as far as looks go.

But I do think its important to keep it in mind because they always told us to be in a specific BMI range in order to avoid health risks/concerns. I can't remember what the number is? I think its between 18.5-24.9 or something. If you are in that range it is declared as a normal body weight and you have the greatest chance of avoiding health risks such as diabetes, cancer, etc.

If one has a BMI of lets say 30 or more than he/she would be declared as obese and would have a greater chance of developing health risks.

Therefore, BMI, weight is very important. Im not here to debunk your statements and I appreciate your input. I just think it all depends on what a peoples goals are. If one is working out for looks, then BMI shouldn't really matter, but for health it does. Again, depends on your goals. What do you think? Or have to say about that.

BMI is BS

Omaha
01-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Started off 2010 doing p90x. Was awesome and got me in great shape, but not great cardio shape. Gonna do p90x again on Monday and mix in some Insanity plyo on the off-lifting days instead of yoga and plyo. Planning to also play pickup bball at least once a week. Goal is to hit sub 20 on my 5k again. Haven't done that since 10 years ago, but granted, I was 15 lbs. lighter.

I started 2010 with P90X, as well. My wife really wanted to start this year off with it, too, so I'm doing it again with her, but I'm adding some additional weights & stuff to it.

Omaha
01-13-2011, 04:19 PM
Silock/anyone...

I take a multivitamin & protein. I've been very happy with the results I've gotten over the last year.

Silock
01-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Well today I squatted 4x8 then did a leg circuit. mixed some back in there too. Depending on the lift, i do 4x8 or 4x15. Sometimes I do 4x20 squats. Really I'm just doing what I learned in high school. Usually have a nice mix of machine and db.

I would highly recommend a strength training program for you. Those are really high reps.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

Tylerthigpen!1!
01-13-2011, 05:01 PM
I would highly recommend a strength training program for you. Those are really high reps.

Ya I realize they are high but I don't know if I want to get too big. Do you lose some athleticism as your strength increases? I guess just mix some cleans into my workout? I'm fairly fast for being 215 and I don't want to lose my explosiveness since I'm playing rugby. Rugby is kind of like soccer in the sense that you run around for 90ish minutes. That is why I mix in the high rep stuff. Again though, I really don't know what I'm doing/the effects of what I'm doing.

Silock
01-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Low reps, by itself at least, won't make you really big. Doing all of those super-high reps that you're doing is what makes you big.

Lower reps are about increasing your muscles' contractile ability and your nervous system's ability to produce force. Higher reps necessitate bigger muscles, as they have to store more energy to do the work over a longer period of time. That's why higher rep muscles *tend* to be a little bit softer than low rep, heavy weight trained muscles.

If you want athleticism for sports, you want to be able to be the kind of strong that low rep training will give you. Switching to strength training is only going to make you a better athlete. What you are doing now isn't ideal for sports. Weight train for strength, and use your cardio sessions to train for running around.

MahiMike
01-13-2011, 05:21 PM
I'll chime in. Been in and out of gyms for a long time. Never any real plan. Little this. Little that. Decent racquetball player (which I still say is best all around sport). But now that I'm 50, I can't play more than twice a week without hurting and walking funny next day. 5'11" 195.

I do the nautilus circuit and spin class sometimes.

Question for the group. Is it better to go straight cardio losing 10 lbs and then worry about the muscles? I always seem to have same weight.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Low reps, by itself at least, won't make you really big. Doing all of those super-high reps that you're doing is what makes you big.

Lower reps are about increasing your muscles' contractile ability and your nervous system's ability to produce force. Higher reps necessitate bigger muscles, as they have to store more energy to do the work over a longer period of time. That's why higher rep muscles *tend* to be a little bit softer than low rep, heavy weight trained muscles.

If you want athleticism for sports, you want to be able to be the kind of strong that low rep training will give you. Switching to strength training is only going to make you a better athlete. What you are doing now isn't ideal for sports. Weight train for strength, and use your cardio sessions to train for running around.

I've decreased my rep weight and am now doing more sets and less cardio. I'm liking this MUCH better, and I'm still continuing to lose weight.

I lift every other day, I do 30 minutes of cardio on lift days, and one hour of cardio on non-lift days. And no more two-a-days.

Thank God.

Silock
01-13-2011, 05:31 PM
Question for the group. Is it better to go straight cardio losing 10 lbs and then worry about the muscles? I always seem to have same weight.

No, lift weights for weight loss. Your weight is a matter of diet.

NewChief
01-13-2011, 06:00 PM
My new gym has a boot camp, and they left their workout on the whiteboard in the basement today. I decided to try it out. Good stuff:

1000m row
15 Hand2Hand KB swings
1 minute jump rope
1 minute heavy ropes
15 Kettlebell front squats to press

X4.

I also did bench. Good workout.

Guru
01-13-2011, 06:02 PM
I always fall behind in the cold months. I'll be back full force in March to April when I can get my bike back out. The treadmill and elliptical are boring the crap out of me and not giving me the workout I need.

Tylerthigpen!1!
01-13-2011, 06:17 PM

All good points. Thanks. I guess the next question is what should I look for in a good core workout?

DBOSHO
01-13-2011, 06:18 PM
I think im going to try that gm diet for a week and see what happens.

Silock, any tips for me? Im 20, 5'10'' 200 and want to get slimmer for my tennis game.

Im just fine with my physique but i wanna lose the gut and the mantits. My goal is around 170.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-13-2011, 06:21 PM

Silock, any tips for me? Im 20, 5'10'' 200 and want to get slimmer for my tennis game.

Im just fine with my physique but i wanna lose the gut and the mantits. My goal is around 170.

Fly's will firm up your moobs. :evil:

DBOSHO
01-13-2011, 06:23 PM
I usually do chest workouts everyday but i heard thats not good for you. Is that true?

MahiMike
01-13-2011, 06:30 PM
No, lift weights for weight loss. Your weight is a matter of diet.

Thanks. Thought I read that in Men's Health.

Guru
01-13-2011, 06:32 PM
I started 2010 with P90X, as well. My wife really wanted to start this year off with it, too, so I'm doing it again with her, but I'm adding some additional weights & stuff to it.

The only thing I really hate about P90x is all the pullups. that is really screwy on my shoulders. I would really like to find a decent workout that doesn't exceed 30 minutes and doesn't require pullups or any form of home gym.

I have basic dumbbells and resistance bands as well as a treadmill, elliptical and low end exercise bike. I have no dumbell bench though. I have tried using one of those big exercise balls for a bench but it doesn't work very well.

DBOSHO
01-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Maybe i wont try the gm diet.

philfree
01-13-2011, 06:56 PM
I don't have a plan for my workouts yet for this year.

I usually start the year out with a plan a develope routine.

That routine doesn't last the year though. I do my best to keep it going as long as I can but eventually life takes over. So I try and do as best I can till summer hits. Then I go golfing and pool side and make frozen drinks and enjoy life.

I was thinking about joining a fitness center. I have enough stuff at home to work out but I was thinking I wanted to get part of my workout shooting hoops. For that I need a basketball court.

One On None-Full Court:

You attempt a basket and if you miss you run down the rebound and keep shooting till you hoop it.

Then you take off down court dribbling and when you get there you take another shot. Rebound and keep going.

Of course you have to change up your game by sometimes shooting 3's and chasing down those rebounds and then sometimes driving to the hoop and making a lay up. I'm a 6' tall honky whith no jumps so I do lay ups...LOL.

Another variation is to sometimes loft the ball ahead and then run under it, field it and drive or stop and pop.

Throw it off the glass from a distance, field it and go.

Just use your imagination.

And you don't have to be a good basketball player eihter. Just shoot that first shot and keep going. Players who aren't so good probably get a better workout because they're chasing alot of long rebounds.

Anywhere from and hour to two hours of One On None is an awsome workout.

Combine that with some stength training and you're own your way.

PhilFree:arrow:

Silock
01-13-2011, 07:03 PM
All good points. Thanks. I guess the next question is what should I look for in a good core workout?

You won't need to do a ton of extra core work if you do a lot of compound lifting. Squats, deadlifts, benching and rows all require a lot of core activation by themselves. Things like planks, supermans and bird dogs are a good supplement to that type of training (or any training, really).

Silock
01-13-2011, 07:04 PM

Get on a good lifting program, and diet. See the starting strength program I posted a few posts up.

Silock
01-13-2011, 07:05 PM
I usually do chest workouts everyday but i heard thats not good for you. Is that true?

This is true. You need to give muscles time to recover or they won't grow. They need at least 48 hours of rest in between workout sessions in order to recover and grow. Remember that growth is an adaptation to training. You are breaking down the muscle when you work out, and you need to give it time to rebuild. It only rebuilds when it rests.

Your muscles grow outside of the gym, not in it.

Silock
01-13-2011, 07:06 PM
I don't have a plan for my workouts yet for this year.

I usually start the year out with a plan a develope routine.

That routine doesn't last the year though. I do my best to keep it going as long as I can but eventually life takes over. So I try and do as best I can till summer hits. Then I go golfing and pool side and make frozen drinks and enjoy life.

I was thinking about joining a fitness center. I have enough stuff at home to work out but I was thinking I wanted to get part of my workout shooting hoops. For that I need a basketball court.

One On None-Full Court:

You attempt a basket and if you miss you run down the rebound and keep shooting till you hoop it.

Then you take off down court dribbling and when you get there you take another shot. Rebound and keep going.

Of course you have to change up your game by sometimes shooting 3's and chasing down those rebounds and then sometimes driving to the hoop and making a lay up. I'm a 6' tall honky whith no jumps so I do lay ups...LOL.

Another variation is to sometimes loft the ball ahead and then run under it, field it and drive or stop and pop.

Throw it off the glass from a distance, field it and go.

Just use your imagination.

And you don't have to be a good basketball player eihter. Just shoot that first shot and keep going. Players who aren't so good probably get a better workout because they're chasing alot of long rebounds.

Anywhere from and hour to two hours of One On None is an awsome workout.

Combine that with some stength training and you're own your way.

PhilFree:arrow:

As long as you enjoy it, that's all that matters.

Dunit35
01-13-2011, 07:40 PM
Ran my first full mile today. 8:10, hell yeah.

need to do 1.5 miles in 15.30.

Simply Red
01-13-2011, 07:48 PM
4 mis. - 37:07

one point fiver smart 'everything' bagel - 150 cals
1 Tsp. lowered fat cream cheese - 35 cals
8-jalepenos - virtually nada
2 strips of smithfield hickory bacon - 90 cals

Look who's back, back AGAIN!

http://i54.tinypic.com/14xoy91.gif

Omaha
01-14-2011, 08:18 AM
Fish oil isn't toxic, and most of it comes from fish farms, where they control they quality of the fish. Now, you and I can talk about the pros and cons of fish farms on the local environment in another thread, but quality fish oil is far from toxic.

What makes quality fish oil? I'm planning on getting some. What should I look for?

Omaha
01-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Well, the Wheybolic is ridiculously expensive, for starters. And it has a bunch of shit in it that hasn't been proven to actually do anything for you, like L-Carnitine. The whey hydrosolates haven't been proven to be any better than regular whey isolates, either. It's nice that it has some BCAAs in it, but those can be purchased separately for much cheaper. You can get a tub of Gaspari Myofusion or ON 100% Whey for like $30, as opposed to the same amount of Wheybolic for $60.

I use the Wheybolic because it only has about 90 cal for every 20 g of protein, it mixes well, & it tastes decent. How do these others compare?

I have a gnc gold card so I get the stuff for about $47 & I try to hit the BOGO 50% off sales.

Omaha
01-14-2011, 08:37 AM

Doing situps, jogs, & push-ups are better than not doing them, but you'd be better off adding some variety. Balance is key. Work the whole body & you'll see even better results. It'll likely be more fun, too.

Silock, NewPhin, & some of the other guys have posted workouts on here that are pretty good. Check those out or check out menshealth.com for a tone of different workouts.

NewChief
01-14-2011, 08:38 AM
About to turn the curve on my belly fat. Been off the beer and sugar for a week with pretty much daily 20 hour fasting periods. My 34" jeans were starting to get a little tight.

Dallas Chief
01-14-2011, 08:51 AM
Layed off the weights completely back in mid December. Makes my appetite go through the roof and my size and weight just skyrocket. Just started back on my 1/2 marathon training schedule. I am going to run three of them this spring. Cowtown, Rock n Roll Dallas, and OKC Memorial in consecutive months. Ran 6.2 yesterday in 51:30. I have three miles this afternoon and a long slow 8 miles tomorrow once it warms up a little bit.

Starting weight 195, 6'0". Target weight is 180 by 3/1. Should be able to cut 10 minutes off of my 1/2 marathon PR of 1:52. Hoping too anyway...

Omaha
01-14-2011, 10:22 AM

Hah.

Fat people are funny! :LOL: LMAO LMAO LMAO

Bowser
01-14-2011, 10:28 AM

How the fuck does a guy 5'8 get to 525 pounds, and NOT die? Dude must have an Ironman's heart, not to mention be strong as hell to pull his quarter ton around.

That show has never once "inspired" me, only amazed me that people actually can lose 40 lbs. a week (provided, of course, that said person receives round-the-clock medical help, plus training with trainers 6+ hours a day for however long they shoot the show).

Omaha
01-14-2011, 10:30 AM
I'll chime in. Been in and out of gyms for a long time. Never any real plan. Little this. Little that. Decent racquetball player (which I still say is best all around sport). But now that I'm 50, I can't play more than twice a week without hurting and walking funny next day. 5'11" 195.

Hey, I agree 100%. I have been playing tournaments around the midwest for the last few years. I am completely addicted. Where do you play?

Frosty
01-14-2011, 12:32 PM
That show has never once "inspired" me, only amazed me that people actually can lose 40 lbs. a week

I was on a forum where a former BL contestant posted. There actually isn't a week between the shows. It can be two or three weeks in real life. The guy also said that everyone did a lot of goofy things to lose water weight before the weigh-ins. It's kind of deceiving to make people think you can lose those massive amounts in only a week.

Silock
01-14-2011, 03:17 PM
What makes quality fish oil? I'm planning on getting some. What should I look for?

Molecular distillation, and a good source of fresh fish.

Silock
01-14-2011, 03:20 PM
I use the Wheybolic because it only has about 90 cal for every 20 g of protein, it mixes well, & it tastes decent. How do these others compare?

I have a gnc gold card so I get the stuff for about $47 & I try to hit the BOGO 50% off sales.

ON Whey is 120 cals for 24g of protein, while Myofusion is 147 cals for 25g. Myofusion has egg protein in it, too, though, which is touted to be somewhat more bioavailable than just whey proteins.

Omaha
01-14-2011, 03:25 PM
Molecular distillation, and a good source of fresh fish.

Thanks. I'm on my way to get some right now.

ON Whey is 120 cals for 24g of protein, while Myofusion is 147 cals for 25g. Myofusion has egg protein in it, too, though, which is touted to be somewhat more bioavailable than just whey proteins.

bioavailable? I don't know what that means. I'll google it later. I'll give them a try.

Silock
01-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Buy it online. It's way cheaper.

Shag
01-14-2011, 04:39 PM
I'm looking to get back on the training wagon, and looking for some input. I did a full P90X cycle last Jan - Apr, along with a very strict diet, and dropped around 35lbs. In the 8 months since, I've managed to keep most of that weight off - put on about 5lbs, mostly through the holidays. I want to get back to it a bit, and I also have a tropical vacation coming up at the end of Feb that I want to slim up for a bit...

So, I'm looking for some training advice. P90X was great for me at the time, but I really can't swing 60+ minutes/day right now, and I'm looking for something more focused on weight training, and less cardio. I have a smith rack (kind of like <a href="http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://mcs.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p4215351dt.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mcsports.com/pwr/product-reviews/MCS-NAV/Exercise/Weight-Training/Smith-Machines-Cages/Weider/p/2924654-Weider-875-Commercial-Smith-Rack-Bench.html&h=500&w=500&sz=60&tbnid=CZJ5pwWuxXqx4M:&tbnh=130&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsmith%2Brack&zoom=1&q=smith+rack&usg=__XVv73c_pVGTSzWm8HPK4XUPf_oA=&sa=X&ei=WtwwTfqEBoS4sAPmlenQBQ&ved=0CDYQ9QEwBA" target="_blank">this</a>, just not as cool, lol) that I need to re-assemble, and a set of adjustable dumbbells (up to 52.5lbs/ea). What type of program can I put together with those things?

I'm counting mostly on diet to drop the lbs, but I'd like to add some strength and size. I'm 6' 1", 195lbs, and have a serious barrel chest that I hate, so don't really want to emphasize chest muscles (though I'd like to dump the man tits, lol). I'd like to build up my arms for sure (and in time for my trip... ;) ). What would you guys suggest?

Silock
01-14-2011, 04:41 PM
Starting Strength

ChiefsrGood
01-14-2011, 04:46 PM
my first bench workout 3x8
115x5 warm up
135x8
135x8
135x6

my bench workout today 8-6-4-2
135x5 warm up
165x8
185x6
200x4
215x2

all in 2.5 months folks

Silock
01-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Not bad, man. What's your current weight and height? Estimate of body fat?

Kyle DeLexus
01-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Anyone in the KC area want to sign up for a 5k or something? I figure if I have something tangible I'm building towards, I'll stop making excuses.

If there's enough interest maybe we can get a CP Team going.

Shag
01-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Starting Strength

Okay, stupid question - what's a "press"?

Should I be using the same weight for each set of each exercise? Should I be planning the weight so I am near failure on the last rep of each set?

Power cleans look scary, lol...

Silock
01-14-2011, 05:13 PM
Anyone in the KC area want to sign up for a 5k or something? I figure if I have something tangible I'm building towards, I'll stop making excuses.

If there's enough interest maybe we can get a CP Team going.

I'll run it if there's a CP team.

Silock
01-14-2011, 05:15 PM
Okay, stupid question - what's a "press"?

Should I be using the same weight for each set of each exercise? Should I be planning the weight so I am near failure on the last rep of each set?

Power cleans look scary, lol...

You don't have to do Power Cleans. There are a few different versions. In fact, unless you know HOW to do Power Cleans, I wouldn't do them.

As far as the other lifts and how to determine the starting weights:
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ