PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Black Lab...

penguinz
01-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Put down a deposit for a black lab pup today. The chaos will begin in March when the pup is ready to come home!

What did I just get myself into? :doh!:

Fairplay
01-01-2011, 04:48 PM
"You get dogs at the dog pound." - Morgan Freeman

MadMax
01-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Put down a deposit for a black lab pup today. The chaos will begin in March when the pup is ready to come home!

Awesome dogs IMHO I had one years ago who was a very good duck and goose retreiver, my dad took him hunting a lot. He was so good with children and other animals, he weighed about a buck fifty and was a gentle giant. Awesome dog, i miss him.They are very good natured :)

Pulverizer
01-01-2011, 04:55 PM

You should consider buying a crate. My black lab had one. It was like his own private room. This kept the house from being destroyed. Once the dog was housebroken, the crate was no longer needed.

LaChapelle
01-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Bob has an important message for you
please give him a minute

S&BJW
01-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Got 2 myself.....best dogs in the world. Up and coming 2 year old and an old fella that may not see 2012........great hunters/companions/great with kids.

Bacon Cheeseburger
01-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Get ready to play fetch. Lots of it.

Tribal Warfare
01-01-2011, 05:15 PM
try taking care of European German Shepherd working dog pups, they are a holy terror

Old Dog
01-01-2011, 05:17 PM
We have had our black lab mix Dixie (or should I say she has had us?) for 9 1/2 years. Best pet I've ever had.
Didn't pay a nickel for her
(She followed the Mrs home one day, she was about about 3 weeks old according to the vet....Dixie, not the Mrs..put up flyers etc, no one claimed her)
but wouldn't take $5K for her

Bewbies
01-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Best dogs ever.

Bacon Cheeseburger
01-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Nooo...we're not done yet...you just keep throwing that stick.

kstater
01-01-2011, 05:23 PM
You should consider buying a crate. My black lab had one. It was like his own private room. This kept the house from being destroyed. Once the dog was housebroken, the crate was no longer needed.

By god I think you've stumbled onto something with this idea.

S&BJW
01-01-2011, 05:27 PM
My 2 year old is getting better. It`s been a few months since I`ve needed to replace the hot tub cover, sprinkler heads, drip lines, the hydraulic brake line on the boat trailer, the electrical lines to the brake lights on same trailer, ceramic plant pots, wooden steps leading to hot tub........lol

chief52
01-01-2011, 05:30 PM
I would get a good book on how to train one. Had a chocolate lab years ago. Loved it. But as my buddy said...that dog could be a lot smarter if you knew how to train it. He was right. It was a smart dog and great friend.

teedubya
01-01-2011, 05:30 PM
We have a big black cock-a-poo. Well, it's not a BIG black cock-a-poo. It's more of a medium sized black cock-a-poo. His name is Reggie.

Extra Point
01-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Hope you like to walk a lot. A LOT!

Fairplay
01-01-2011, 05:34 PM
This thread isn't racist. Is it?

btlook1
01-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Heres a couple of photos of the boys from our current litter. 4 weeks of age. Labs are the best.

Bacon Cheeseburger
01-01-2011, 05:51 PM
No, we're still not done. Never mind the fact that I'm panting so hard that I have giant globs of dog saliva dripping from my jowls.

hawkchief
01-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Labs - the best dogs ever. Not even close.

S&BJW
01-01-2011, 05:57 PM
I would get a good book on how to train one. Had a chocolate lab years ago. Loved it. But as my buddy said...that dog could be a lot smarter if you knew how to train it. He was right. It was a smart dog and great friend.

Fortunately for the most part, Labs are the easiest to train although every once in awhile a stubborn one can be had.
Many good books out there but my favorite is Richards Wolters. He has several books depending on what kind of training you want. Examples are: Family Dog (Basic training), Water Dog (duck hunting), Gun Dog (upland game) etc..... I use the Richard Wolters Water dog myself as I train him for duck hunting.
http://www.gundogsupply.com/richard-wolters.html

booyaf2
01-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Good investment my friend. Had a black lab, Duke, RIP. Currently have a German Shorthair and a Yellow lab. Labs are just tough to beat. Out of all of them the shorthair is my personal favorite, but you're not compairing apples to apples comparing breeds. Labs are great great dogs.

prhom
01-01-2011, 06:49 PM
My 2 year old is getting better. It`s been a few months since I`ve needed to replace the hot tub cover, sprinkler heads, drip lines, the hydraulic brake line on the boat trailer, the electrical lines to the brake lights on same trailer, ceramic plant pots, wooden steps leading to hot tub........lol

This is pretty accurate. They never really grow out of that though. Our family labrador easily destroyed thousands of dollars of stuff. My favorite caper was the time he took the lid off the ice cream maker and ate a gallon or so of homemade ice cream. He would have eaten more, but couldn't get his head in any further.

black angus
01-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Labs are generally nice friendly dogs but they can really be hyper. Bug's right, they'll fetch for hours. i'm partial to German Shepherds myself.

KevB
01-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Check my avatar. Magic was the best dog I've ever had.

kcfanXIII
01-01-2011, 08:23 PM

this. you will thank yourself for getting the crate. a lab pup can be extremely destructive because their intelligence allows them to become bored very easily. its best to crate the dog until the dog proves they are trustworthy. i used to have a female lab and when she was a pup she tore my ol' lady's high school yearbook to shreds. nearly lost her over that. (the dog, who cares about the girl.) with chief, the dog in my avitar, i crated him from day one. about 1 1/2 years old i started giving him more a little more freedom, and by the time he was two the crate was no longer needed. chief has been far less destructive then my female was.

a lab is a dog that was bred for hunting. its a high energy breed, that will require exercise and training. the good news is, you can often combine the two, and labs love to learn, so training is usually pretty easy. invest in tennis balls, most labs love them.

labs are notorious for being great family pets. a play mate for children, warm and loving towards the lady of the house, and loyal companion to master. it seems labs can fulfill any role needed by the family.

great choice in dog, and good luck to you.

NewChief
01-01-2011, 08:43 PM
As others have said: crate train, crate train, crate train. I grew up owning indoor/outdoor labs who were allowed to basically roam free and do as they wanted (we lived in the country). One of our labs chewed up over $5,000 worth of shit (my parents owned antique furniture). When my wife and I got our pup, we did our research. I've had my Tully inside for about 90% of his waking life, and he never chewed up a single thing that I didn't allow him to chew up thanks to crate training.

Also be careful with the way you feed him and reward with food. We never free fed ours and were very picky with his food because we knew that food could be an issue with labs. Despite that, he's a gluttonous 100 lb. monstrosity who will go to great lengths (and great distances) to wander down to the local donut shop and dig through their dumpsters for choice apple fritters. I don't know where we went wrong with him on diet, but it's a constant concern as labs get older.

Back when I was first raising my boy (9 years ago), this board was a great source of information and support:
http://lab-retriever.net/

No clue if it's still worth a shit.