PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs Blitz | A look at the good, the bad and the ugly from the Raiders game

Tribal Warfare
01-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Chiefs Blitz | A look at the good, the bad and the ugly from the Raiders game (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/01/02/2556543/chiefs-blitz-a-look-at-the-good.html)

DO TELL THE TRUTH

Was Charlie Weis responsible for this loss?

There’s no doubt that Weis’ departure for the University of Florida was a distraction, but Sunday was a team breakdown. Matt Cassel was erratic, the defense was unreliable, and the Raiders put together one of their most productive games this season. The problem with Weis’ departure is the timing: If Kansas City loses next week, it’ll be easy to blame this distraction for hurting the Chiefs’ chances and disrupting their momentum. Weis, for all the success he oversaw this season, will be remembered more as a villain.

What happened to Cassel?

He was back in early-season form, and that’s not a good thing for the Chiefs’ quarterback or his team — especially a week before the playoffs begin. Kansas City is the AFC West champion because, in a big part, of Cassel’s improvement. When he plays poorly, the Chiefs have a much more difficult time, and Sunday was a poorly timed step back for him. Cassel has to regroup quickly and rediscover some of the efficiency that led his team on this turnaround. Next week, Cassel won’t be able to afford five sacks and two interceptions.

What’s with the defense?

Kansas City’s defense has been up and down throughout the season, and its play is a major key to the Chiefs’ success. When Romeo Crennel’s unit struggles, the Chiefs usually lose — and Crennel’s defense struggled Sunday. Players and coaches said after the game they had to quickly forget their most recent loss, but that’ll be difficult considering that the Chiefs allowed the Raiders to move the ball easily and score 31 points while winning in Kansas City for the fourth consecutive season.

What’s the playoff situation?

The Chiefs will play the Baltimore Ravens at noon Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium. The Chiefs were 7-1 at Arrowhead during the regular season, but they haven’t faced a team as talented as the Ravens. It’ll be a tough challenge for the Chiefs.

THE LAST WORD

“I can’t give any excuses. We got beat up today.”

| Chiefs linebacker Derrick Johnson

Frazod
01-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Hard to blame Cassel's shitty performance today on Cassel. Dude was running for his life on nearly every passing play. Hang this turd 200% on the inexcusably shitty performance of the offensive line. None of those fuckers should get paid for what they did today.

CaliforniaChief
01-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Where was the good in this article?

KILLER_CLOWN
01-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Hard to blame Cassel's shitty performance today on Cassel. Dude was running for his life on nearly every passing play. Hang this turd 200% on the inexcusably shitty performance of the offensive line. None of those ****ers should get paid for what they did today.

Absolutely correct, the Oline couldn't have played any worse if they tried.

Shogun
01-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Where was the good in this article?

Bradfords SWEET ping pong table

Bwana
01-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Absolutely correct, the Oline couldn't have played any worse if they tried.

Bingo! They took the day off.

Pawnmower
01-02-2011, 10:30 PM
None of those ****ers should get paid for what they did today.

That would be awesome

Count Zarth
01-02-2011, 10:30 PM
This Weis shit is getting old fast.

Complete red herring.

The Raiders dominated our line in both games this year.

Won't be surprising if the Ravens do the same.

Nothing to do with Weis.

DJ's left nut
01-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Remember when everyone was yacking about how awesome Cassel must be and how badly Brodie sucks after the Chargers game?

This is why Brodie was as bad as he was.

Now don't get me wrong, I've seen all I need to see from Brodie at this point. I was wrong, he's not the answer at all. However - he was left as helpless in that game as Cassel was in this one.

When this line plays like they played today or against SD - nobody has a chance in hell at quarterback. Croyle getting blown apart somehow made people think that Cassel must be God-like, but we've really gotten a good look at the soft underbelly of this squad in both of those weeks.

Weigmann - I love ya buddy, it's been a good run...but you're done.

Albert - try playing every week instead of 2 out of 3.

Waters - You actually did an okay job considering you had to cover 3 spots, but ultimately, you set the tone for the effort and there wasn't any today

Lilja - Didn't recognize him getting blistered too frequently but we also couldn't move the point of attack at all in the run and that falls on him.

Richardson - Was actually the better of the two tackles today...somehow. Yeah, Albert was that bad.

The Ravens are a bad matchup for us because they can do the exact same thing. Though I'll say this - the Raiders played excellent football today. They really did. We didn't play well, but I honestly don't see the Ravens coming out next week and playing as well as Oakland did today. I feel dirty saying that, but I have to tip my cap to a very well played game by Oaktown today.

Sometimes you're the bug. We just got whumped today, sports fans.

Bowser
01-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Albert straight up had the worst day of his pro career today, and it isn't even close.

stlchiefs
01-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Hard to blame Cassel's shitty performance today on Cassel. Dude was running for his life on nearly every passing play. Hang this turd 200% on the inexcusably shitty performance of the offensive line. None of those ****ers should get paid for what they did today.

Yep, not sure how the article completely fanned on this point. All offensive struggles start with the way the line sucked today.

Frankie
01-02-2011, 11:17 PM
Chiefs Blitz | A look at the good, the bad and the ugly from the Raiders game (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/01/02/2556543/chiefs-blitz-a-look-at-the-good.html)

DO TELL THE TRUTH

Was Charlie Weis responsible for this loss?

There’s no doubt that Weis’ departure for the University of Florida was a distraction, but Sunday was a team breakdown. Matt Cassel was erratic, the defense was unreliable, and the Raiders put together one of their most productive games this season. The problem with Weis’ departure is the timing: If Kansas City loses next week, it’ll be easy to blame this distraction for hurting the Chiefs’ chances and disrupting their momentum. Weis, for all the success he oversaw this season, will be remembered more as a villain.

What happened to Cassel?

He was back in early-season form, and that’s not a good thing for the Chiefs’ quarterback or his team — especially a week before the playoffs begin. Kansas City is the AFC West champion because, in a big part, of Cassel’s improvement. When he plays poorly, the Chiefs have a much more difficult time, and Sunday was a poorly timed step back for him. Cassel has to regroup quickly and rediscover some of the efficiency that led his team on this turnaround. Next week, Cassel won’t be able to afford five sacks and two interceptions.

What’s with the defense?

Kansas City’s defense has been up and down throughout the season, and its play is a major key to the Chiefs’ success. When Romeo Crennel’s unit struggles, the Chiefs usually lose — and Crennel’s defense struggled Sunday. Players and coaches said after the game they had to quickly forget their most recent loss, but that’ll be difficult considering that the Chiefs allowed the Raiders to move the ball easily and score 31 points while winning in Kansas City for the fourth consecutive season.

What’s the playoff situation?

The Chiefs will play the Baltimore Ravens at noon Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium. The Chiefs were 7-1 at Arrowhead during the regular season, but they haven’t faced a team as talented as the Ravens. It’ll be a tough challenge for the Chiefs.

THE LAST WORD

“I can’t give any excuses. We got beat up today.”

| Chiefs linebacker Derrick Johnson
Did I miss something here? You said the good, the bad and the ugly. Where was the good?

Not to be nitpicking, but Cassel's step back wasn't poorly timed at all. In fact it couldn't have come at a better time. Hopefully that egg is out of him and he will play like the Cassel of the recent weeks next week.

Count Zarth
01-02-2011, 11:19 PM
The Ravens are a bad matchup for us because they can do the exact same thing.

Actually, not really. Oakland plays a 4-3.

And the Ravens have only 27 sacks. That team's pass rush is basically Suggs and a bunch of hope.

I'm more concerned about our ability to run the ball on Baltimore. I think we'll pass protect OK if we can gameplan Suggs.

DJ's left nut
01-02-2011, 11:22 PM
Cassel's only real problem today was that he just refused to mitigate the damages.

If he got flushed...he ran backwards and made a 4 yard sack into a 9 yard one. If nobody was open, he forced it instead of throwing it away.

He was just trying to do way WAY too much out there. I'm as critical of the guy as anyone, but at least he was showing some effort out there today and clearly trying to pick up for his teammates.

We saw a couple more 'Bowe' moments that bothered me more than Cassel today. Let's face it - had Cassel 'taken what he was given', we'd have still lost. He took a simple L and turned it into a blowout by trying to be superman. Ultimately, there are guys that took the field today (sorta) that committed far greater sins than that.

B_Ambuehl
01-02-2011, 11:30 PM
I think you gotta give crazy ol Al Davis some credit for the way he's put that defense together and the way that defensive front has dominated the rest of the division. I know he's completely senile when it comes to the offensive side of the ball, but his defense has generally been solid. They have DE's playing LB and tackles playing DE and a size/power advantages at every spot along their front and enough speed in the secondary to make up for any breakdowns. Their front did to us today exactly what they've done in 5 other divisional games. Seymour didn't even play today and it looked like men vs boys out there.