PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs we better spend all week working on the Blitz

Mr. Laz
01-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Offensively, people are going to blitz us until we show we can handled it.

Defensively, we need to be able to blitz and actually get to the QB

Both areas are teh major suck for us and in the playoffs that will get you killed. Outside of playing with heart, blitz(ing) is THE major problem imo.

RedThat
01-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Offensively, people are going to blitz us until we show we can handled it.

Defensively, we need to be able to blitz and actually get to the QB

Both areas are teh major suck for us and in the playoffs that will get you killed. Outside of playing with heart, blitz(ing) is THE major problem imo.

Well, Albert and Richardson need to step up!

They were revolving doors on Sunday. Im also afraid we don't have the blocking fullback nor TE to handle the blitz.

It's times like these where I miss TRich and Jason Dunn.

KCUnited
01-03-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm more worried about being able to stop their front 3 or 4, they may not have to blitz.

RedThat
01-03-2011, 11:12 AM
One solution to handling the blitz is to max protect and spread out the WR formation. Take advantage of their CB's. Baltimore don't have the greatest set of CB's.

Or, do quick easy dump offs/screens, use Charles in open space and give him a chance to hit the homeruns. Run a lot of quick slant patterns. We have Charles, Bowe, and McCluster to help us out in that area.

OnTheWarpath58
01-03-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm more worried about being able to stop their front 3 or 4, they may not have to blitz.

This.

Oakland was getting pressure with just their front.

RedThat
01-03-2011, 11:16 AM

If they work in the middle they'll get killed.

Wiegman vs. Ngata, Gregg or even Waters vs. Ngata are just complete mismatches. Avoid that as much as possible.

We shouldn't be doing any plays up the middle, unless we can catch them off-guard with the odd draw play here or there. Weis and Haley are going to have to really strategize in their preparation on how they're going to attack the Ravens.

Lzen
01-03-2011, 11:19 AM
This.

Early on, Oakland was bringing 8 guys up to the LOS. Sometimes they blitzed. Sometimes they only brought 4. But it was obvious that our OL was confused. In other words, they got in the heads of the KC Chiefs. I also recall that St. Louis liked to blitz like that but KC handled theirs pretty well.

Cassel also has to recognize that and get the ball out. There were some blitzes early on where he didn't even see the blitz coming. Still, I mostly blame the blocking for the performance. :shake:

Chief Chief
01-03-2011, 11:26 AM
The way our Ole-line was playing, the Faders only needed to send 3 towards our QB for it to look like a blitz!

FringeNC
01-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Actually, Oakland has a much better pass rush than Baltimore. Oakland had 40 sacks despite the fewest pass attempts faced, and Baltimore had 27. Baltimore is very good against the pass, but it's not do to their pass rush. Second best yards per pass in the the league. We're right up there with Baltimore against the pass, but of course our stats are hard to compare to other teams given the joke of a schedule we had.

Look, Baltimore is a good defensive team. Very good. Not great.

Who knows, Cassel may be brutalized, but then again so may Flacco.

DJ's left nut
01-03-2011, 11:39 AM
I do not understand why a team that employs Jamaal Charles and struggles with the blitz is so adverse to running the occasional screen pass.

We play Jones because he's better in pass pro, I get that. But let's face it, he's built like a brick shithouse and Jamaal....isn't. Charles is simply never going to be phenominal and picking up the blitz. He is, however, unreal in space.

So instead of hammering that square peg into that round hole, why not slow down blitzes using Charles strength rather than watching his weakness be abused (or keep him off the field entirely). If you flare him out into the pattern or run more screen plays to him, teams are not going to be able to blitz without keying on him and they won't be nearly as effective.

Yet we just don't utilize him in the screen game that often. It doesn't make sense to me at all.

Pitt Gorilla
01-03-2011, 11:43 AM
One solution to handling the blitz is to max protect and spread out the WR formation. Take advantage of their CB's. Baltimore don't have the greatest set of CB's.

Or, do quick easy dump offs/screens, use Charles in open space and give him a chance to hit the homeruns. Run a lot of quick slant patterns. We have Charles, Bowe, and McCluster to help us out in that area.We did and O'Connell got beat as well.

DJ's left nut
01-03-2011, 11:48 AM
We did and O'Connell got beat as well.

The screen game is very similar to the running game, IMO.

It takes timing and repetition. This team isn't a good screen team because it doesn't do enough work on them. There's no reason they shouldn't be better at it, they have solid athletes on their O-line and a dynamite weapon for it.

But because they don't do them often, they simply can't execute them. Given a committment to them, I think the screen pass could be one of our most effective weapons.

Alas, that ship has sailed. Hopefully we'll utilize it more next year in an attempt to get Charles a few more touches while limited his liability in pass protection.

wazu
01-03-2011, 11:49 AM

Yep. What was so horrible to see yesterday was that they didn't need to blitz. They threw our O-line out of the way and just pummeled Cassel.

MahiMike
01-03-2011, 11:53 AM
We don't do well against the big bruisers. Lilja was getting pushed around too. I'd trade Oakland's D-line w/ours.

MOhillbilly
01-03-2011, 11:53 AM
double tight, one shift, one read, offensive football.

And it is gettin offensive.

EyePod
01-03-2011, 11:54 AM
We did get 4 sacks yesterday. We just go through chunks where we're not able to get near the qb at all.

Lzen
01-03-2011, 11:54 AM
The screen game is very similar to the running game, IMO.

It takes timing and repetition. This team isn't a good screen team because it doesn't do enough work on them. There's no reason they shouldn't be better at it, they have solid athletes on their O-line and a dynamite weapon for it.

But because they don't do them often, they simply can't execute them. Given a committment to them, I think the screen pass could be one of our most effective weapons.

Alas, that ship has sailed. Hopefully we'll utilize it more next year in an attempt to get Charles a few more touches while limited his liability in pass protection.

Before yesterday, I thought this team had gotten much better at screens later in the year. They were terrible at executing screens early in the season.

EyePod
01-03-2011, 11:57 AM
We don't do well against the big bruisers. Lilja was getting pushed around too. I'd trade Oakland's D-line w/ours.

You gotta remember that a bunch of that is having BRich next to him. That way, he can't worry about only his job. He needs to always worry about how Barry needs help. Yucko for us. Hopefully the Ravens will be bad away from home.

EyePod
01-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Before yesterday, I thought this team had gotten much better at screens later in the year. They were terrible at executing screens early in the season.

Those TJ screens rarely work anyways.

Tribal Warfare
01-03-2011, 11:59 AM
They better set up some cohesive hot reads to neutralize the blitz

MOhillbilly
01-03-2011, 11:59 AM
the oline isnt athletic enough to play in space.

Chiefnj2
01-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Where's all the talk about starting Croyle against the Ravens after the good job he did last year opening week? Boy, this place has lost its burst.

michaelj_58
01-03-2011, 12:47 PM
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bowser
01-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Yeah, they need to shore up the line, to be certain, but has anyone considered that maybe the Raiders were just a bad matchup for us this year?

salame
01-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Yeah, they need to shore up the line, to be certain, but has anyone considered that maybe the Raiders were just a bad matchup for everyone in the AFC west this year?

fyp

Dave Lane
01-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Yep. What was so horrible to see yesterday was that they didn't need to blitz. They threw our O-line out of the way and just pummeled Cassel.

I saw at least 5 plays Albert was chasing his guy 2 seconds after the snap. I'm not sure if he partied all night the nite before or what. Saccapoo had to jizz his pants it was an unforgettable and unforgivable performance.

YayMike
01-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Hint from watching every Ravens game this season: They can't handle the blitz either...and if you blitz your safety, he has a 43.5% chance of getting a sack, or force a fumble.

talastan
01-03-2011, 03:43 PM
I saw at least 5 plays Albert was chasing his guy 2 seconds after the snap. I'm not sure if he partied all night the nite before or what. Saccapoo had to jizz his pants it was an unforgettable and unforgivable performance.

Albert and Richardson looked like they were wading through mud. Seriously we'll need to address this protection issue or we'll be getting burned by speed rushers all this next season.

aturnis
01-03-2011, 06:07 PM
This.

Oakland has one of the best front four in the league, add that to the fact that we have a SMALL finesse line and terrible tackles. That with all the blitzing they did and we were fooked. Baltimore was like 28th in sacks this year.

aturnis
01-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Think article at Arrowhead Pride shows how bad the O-line did. Particularly Albert.

link (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/1/3/1909316/chiefs-vs-raiders-ii-breaking-down-the-o-line-tape#storyjump)

Chiefnj2
01-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Hint from watching every Ravens game this season: They can't handle the blitz either...and if you blitz your safety, he has a 43.5% chance of getting a sack, or force a fumble.

IMO, KC won't blitz much. That isn't Crennel's strategy. It's too much of a risk for the team. They don't have the firepower to get into a shootout with a good defensive team. It'll be BBDB.

petegz28
01-03-2011, 10:10 PM
We need to let Charles run on the edges. Baltimore's LB's are sort of slow side to side. As far as our defense goes I think the 12th man can be huge since Flaco has never been to KC. And to come to KC in a playoff game is brutal for a QB who has never been here.