PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Whitlock:Todd Haley is not an NFL head coach.

Pages : [1] 2

Mr. Arrowhead
01-03-2011, 10:21 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/kansas-city-chiefs-are-legit-but-coach-todd-haley-is-a-fraud-010311

Chiefs are winning despite Haley
Jason Whitlock
0 comments »
Updated Jan 3, 2011 12:01 PM ET

Let’s hope Charlie Weis and the Oakland Raiders derailed the Todd Haley NFL-coach-of-the-year bandwagon.

Haley — not his Kansas City Chiefs — is quite possibly the biggest fraud in football.

I say that without malice or pleasure.

Personally, I like Todd Haley. It’s true. Away from a football complex, removed from the overbearing presence of Kansas City general manager Scott Pioli, it’s my impression that Haley is a stand-up guy.

Unfortunately, he’s a fatally flawed head football coach. He’s insecure, mean-spirited, emotional and irrational. For two years, he has tried to master a Bill Parcells impersonation. Thanks to the Chiefs’ surprising rise from four wins to AFC West champion, some people have been fooled into believing Haley’s impersonation is working. I haven’t.

The Chiefs are my hometown team. I covered the team at home and on the road for 16 straight years before deciding in August to leave the newspaper industry and split my time between Kansas City and Los Angeles.

The Chiefs are the football team I know the best. They have the wrong head coach. I say that knowing Kansas City’s ground game and ball security give them an excellent shot at making some noise in this year’s playoffs.

If the Chiefs do knock off the Ravens in the first round, the primary credit should go to Pioli.

Personally, I can’t stand Scott Pioli. It’s true. In any environment, Pioli is a low-character, self-absorbed egomaniac in love with the sound of his voice. I call him “Egoli.” I love giving sports figures nicknames. Based on the feedback I’ve received from NFL people, I’ve never come up with a more accurate nickname than Scott Egoli.

My one regret about my leaving KC during this football season was the knowledge Egoli would face little resistance in intimidating, bullying and co-opting the local media. It doesn’t take much more than a wink, a nod and a visit to the GM’s office for local media types to get very weak in the knees.

Pioli is the son-in-law of Bill Parcells and, from his days in New England, has mastered a Bill Belichick impersonation. And I mean that as a compliment. From his general manager’s office, Pioli has re-created some of the New England environment in Kansas City.

When I watch the Chiefs play, I see Pioli’s vision and fingerprints everywhere. And I see Haley desperately flailing in an immature attempt to put his stamp on the football team.

Haley spent his first season hamming it up for the TV cameras, yelling and screaming at any player who dared to make the slightest error. This year, he decided he would out-Sean Payton New Orleans coach Sean Payton and stamp himself as the most swashbuckling gambler in the history of professional football. On fourth down, regardless of the situation or common sense, Haley turned down punts, chip-shot field goals and dates with 22-year-old supermodels so he could call a horrible fourth-down play.

It was bad football.

But Haley was sitting on house money.

The NFL blessed the Chiefs with a schedule so easy that the Harlem Globetrotters and Geno Auriemma were said to be jealous. The combined record of KC’s 13 opponents was 85-123. In compiling a 10-6 record and claiming the AFC’s fourth seed, the Chiefs beat one playoff qualifier, the record-setting 7-9 Seattle Seahawks.

Haley was additionally blessed with Pioli’s vision. In building Patriots West, KC’s general manager has stocked his roster with the kind of high-character, responsible players other teams talk about acquiring but rarely have the discipline to do so.

The Chiefs, like the Patriots, the Colts and the Falcons, are the anti-Bengals.

In free agency, Pioli nabbed Thomas Jones, Ryan Lilja and Casey Wiegmann. All three are rock-solid, natural leaders. In the 2010 draft, Pioli scooped up a bunch of talented team captains and choir boys (Eric Berry, Dexter McCluster, Javier Arenas, Jon Asamoah, Tony Moeaki and Kendrick Lewis).

Rather than pollute his locker room with irresponsible millionaires, Pioli has filled his locker room with young people who have a track record of responsibility.

The Chiefs, like the Patriots and the Falcons, play a responsible brand of football. It’s not a coincidence the Patriots (10), the Chiefs (14) and the Falcons (17) led the league in fewest giveaways. Pioli and Atlanta general manager Thomas Dimitroff learned the game working for Belichick.

I’ve yet to mention that Pioli used his Patriots background to help Haley land Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis as Kansas City’s defensive and offensive coordinators this season. On paper, Kansas City’s assistant-coaching staff is as good as it gets.

Problem is, Crennel and Weis leave Haley little glory to grab and even less work.

Haley is an “offensive guru,” the man who bickered with Anquan Boldin, annoyed Kurt Warner and watched Larry Fitzgerald as the Cardinals made an improbable run to the Super Bowl.

Just before the start of his rookie season as Chiefs head coach, Haley fired offensive coordinator Chan Gailey. Yep, Haley threw away an entire offseason of preparation so he could call plays for quarterback Matt Cassel. That didn’t go too well. Cassel stunk last year.

Weis showed up this season and promised to fix Cassel.

Hmmm. Cassel put together a career year and probably deserved a spot on the AFC Pro Bowl team, ahead of Philip Rivers and Peyton Manning. Going into Sunday’s season finale, Cassel had thrown for 27 TDs and just five INTs. He was fixed.

Late in the year, game-day TV broadcasters curiously started talking about how closely Haley worked with Cassel this season. If you read between the lines, the message was getting passed that Weis didn’t fix Matt Cassel. Haley did. Or maybe it was quarterbacks coach Nick Sirianni.

We do know this: It was Todd Haley who benched Cassel for a series in KC’s Week 16 game against the Tennessee Titans. And it was Matt Cassel who was spotted on the sideline screaming at Todd Haley for the benching.

I say this without malice or pleasure: On an NFL sideline, Haley is an attention whore. An insecure one.

Childhood back problems prevented him from excelling as a high school football player. He played golf in college. His dad, Dick Haley, was a legendary personnel man for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Todd is constantly trying to prove he wasn’t born sliding into the NFL’s home plate. He was, but no one really cares anymore except Todd Haley. He can’t let it go.

Self-made football people who worked from the bottom up (Pioli, Weis) bring out Haley’s insecurity. A day or two after the Chiefs hired Weis last January, I wrote a column in the Kansas City Star explaining in significant detail why the Weis-Haley marriage would be short-lived.

Two days before Sunday’s Raiders-Chiefs clash, word leaked that Weis was taking his talents to the University of Florida as offensive coordinator.

It’s my belief that Haley left Weis no choice but to leave. Haley is too insecure to work in a professional manner with confident, competent people for an extended time.

I didn’t think much of Charlie Weis as a college coach. But there’s no denying the man knows how to design game plans and call plays in the NFL. He’s arguably the best in the business. Haley put handcuffs on Weis with constant interference and game-day stupidity.

For two years, the Chiefs have had the NFL’s most explosive running back, Jamaal Charles. He’s better than Chris Johnson. Charles had the misfortune of being drafted by Carl Peterson and Herm Edwards.

Last season, Charles spent half the year underutilized and languishing while Haley fed the ball to washed-up malcontent Larry Johnson. Charles started the second half of the year, rushed for 1,100 yards and averaged 5.9 yards per carry.

This offseason, Pioli and Haley decided Charles wasn’t a starter. They acquired Thomas Jones to be the starter. Despite a 3.7-yard average, Jones has carried the ball more and continued to start over Charles, who entered the last game with a chance to be the league’s leading rusher. His 6.4-yard average is more than a yard better than any of the league’s other top-20 rushing leaders.

Yeah, I don’t blame Weis for getting the hell out of Kansas City.

Haley’s benching of Cassel a week ago and Weis’ departure created enough of a distraction to produce an embarrassing performance at home against the Raiders. Other than Charles (14 carries, 87 yards, one TD), KC’s offense was horrible. The Raiders destroyed the Chiefs’ line. Cassel completed only 11 of 33 passes and tossed two INTs.

When it was over, Haley tried to sell the myth that Weis’ impending defection to college football played no role in KC’s miserable performance. Haley implied Weis was joining his teenage son on Will Muschamp’s coaching staff. Weis’ son will be an 18-year-old freshman at Florida next fall and a student assistant at Florida. Behind the scenes, the Chiefs’ media-relations staff tried to paint even less-believable scenarios, including that Weis really wants to be a college head coach again.

(I nearly passed out from laughing when the Chiefs’ top media underling called me unsolicited trying to explain Weis’ move.)

Weis took the high road and claimed his return to college football has nothing to do with his relationship with Haley.

I’m sure Weis’ contract forbids him from leaving KC for another NFL offensive coordinator position. His easiest escape is back to the college game and a million-dollar-a-year coordinator contract.

If Cassel reverts to the form he exhibited under Haley’s direction in 2009 and Weis has success in Florida, he could be an NFL head coach in 2012 or 2013 (after the lockout).

Hell, Weis might be the next head coach of the Chiefs.

I don’t care if the Chiefs win the Super Bowl this season. Todd Haley is not an NFL head coach.

OnTheWarpath58
01-03-2011, 10:21 AM
:popcorn:

RedThat
01-03-2011, 10:22 AM
*sigh* This calls for a bud light

Ebolapox
01-03-2011, 10:22 AM
just fucking give it up, whitlock. you're not in KC anymore, fuck off.

Saulbadguy
01-03-2011, 10:23 AM
:thumb:

Brock
01-03-2011, 10:23 AM
LOL, that's good.

Deberg_1990
01-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Like clockwork....We all knew this was coming....

Deberg_1990
01-03-2011, 10:24 AM
The Chiefs are my hometown team.

Please move back to Indiana.

Signed City of KC.

Donger
01-03-2011, 10:25 AM
I thought that the whole "Hell hath no fury like a *blank* scorned" was about a woman. Nice to see that if fits with with certain men, too.

gblowfish
01-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Look at me mommy. Look at me mommy. Mommy.....Mommy.....MOMMY!!!!

Marcellus
01-03-2011, 10:26 AM
He says he can't stand Pioli who he claims is doing an excellent job and he really likes Haley but Haley is a fraud.

Hmmmmm. Makes sense to me.

morphius
The real question is how long before he burns the bridge at foxsports and we won't have to put up with this tripe?

The Bad Guy
The guy who lives in California trying to pass off like he has first hand knowledge of a team he couldn't get close enough too during his last year with the Star.

Whitlock, your expiration date has come and gone. You are irrevelant now to the Sports world. If Scott Pioli has an ego, yours is as big as that size 55 waste you lug around.

pr_capone
01-03-2011, 10:27 AM
I wish Whitlock would just go away in a deep fried batter induced coma... never to return.

Warrior5
01-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Whitlock,
You, Favre, and Jeff George need to just disappear in some Louisiana swamp. Just leave already.

Sincerely,
CP

bobbything
01-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Personally, I can’t stand Scott Pioli. It’s true. In any environment, Pioli is a low-character, self-absorbed egomaniac in love with the sound of his voice.
It would take a chainsaw to cut through all the irony here.

DeezNutz
01-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Ok, one of my biggest problems with Whitlock's opinion is that he short-sells Haley's work in AZ. As we've noted so many times on this board, he didn't simply "watch Fitz." We all know that the player credits Haley with his improvement and development, and I say this fully aware of Fitz's amazing natural gifts.

ClevelandBronco
01-03-2011, 10:29 AM
It doesn’t take much more than a wink, a nod and a visit to the GM’s office for local media types to get very weak in the knees.

How about a little professional integrity here yourself, Jason? If you want to charge K.C. media, write a column, name names, and make your case. Otherwise it's a bit lame to just toss off something like this.

Sofa King
01-03-2011, 10:30 AM
I don’t care if the Chiefs win the Super Bowl this season. Todd Haley is not an NFL head coach.

LMAO

WTF would it take to be an NFL coach then?!?

Pawnmower
01-03-2011, 10:30 AM
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8567/jasonwhitlock.jpg

Lzen
01-03-2011, 10:31 AM
What a dumb article.

And this part is hilarious.

Haley is an attention whore

Pot meet kettle. :rolleyes:

DeezNutz
WTF would it take to be an NFL coach then?!?

I'll let you know. /Jdub

Sofa King
The real question is how long before he burns the bridge at foxsports and we won't have to put up with this tripe?

today please.

KCUnited
Had to stop at Haley "watched Larry Fitzgerald", that's just blatant dickbagging that nobody in the right mind believes.

milkshock
he makes valid points

the issue here is haley, and to a lesser extent, pioli for even thinking about putting these two together in the first place. in reality, he should have fired haley in the off season and given the HC job to weis .

DJ's left nut
01-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Amidst the garbage were a few interesting points, in particular the fact that the Pats, Chiefs and Falcons paced the league in givaways and are all run by Patriot Way GM's.

I hate those choir boy drafts, but there does seem to be something to the fact that more responsible players would make fewer reckless plays. Could it be that the 'right 53' legitimately does mean something? At least in regards to how it translates to the field? Afterall, this really was one of the more fundamentally sound teams in the league this year. Rarely did it kill itself with penalties and really never with turnovers.

Which brings me to my 2nd point - WTF is he really trying to argue here? Doesn't the fact that the Chiefs were one of those 'responsible' ballclubs speak to the coaching staff? Is he honestly trying to deflect all the credit for that to Pioli and Weis?

C'mon, Whitlock - give credit where it's due man. Haley can be petulant and I'm sure he's difficult to work with, but this was a very very reliable ballclub and stood in stark contrast to the ship run in, say, Dallas or even NYG. While Wade was busy losing his lockerrom and Coughlin could never get his team to stop turning the ball over all the time, the Chiefs played smart, sound football virtually every week. When they lost, it was because they were physically beaten (and isn't that a knock on his boy Pioli?) and when they won, it was often because their opponents were outcoached badly (SF and Seattle spring immediately to mind).

Some interesting tidbids to be pulled from it, but in all this was just another poorly done hatchet job.

Ebolapox
the funny thing is... todd haley is the head coach of the kansas city chiefs, an nfl team. by pure definition, he IS AN NFL COACH. ffs, whitlock. use a dictionary some time.

jwhit
How about a little professional integrity here yourself, Jason? If you want to charge K.C. media, write a column, name names, and make your case. Otherwise it's a bit lame to just toss off something like this.

If I wrote for the Star, I'd name names. But I'm writing for a national audience. No one cares about Kietzman, Mellinger, etc on a national platform. I never shied away from naming names.

Carry on.

FAX
01-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Waters refused to play for Haley.
Kurt Warner is "annoyed" with Haley (so much so that he visited camp).
Fitz doesn't credit Haley for his improvement.

On and on and on.

How many times does Whittles have to be wrong before people stop listening. If there is an insecure, egotistical asswipe in the house, you have to look no further.

FAX

KILLER_CLOWN
A lot of truth in there, and i'm sure whittie doesn't mind the fact he can garner a lot of attention. I'm certainly not convinced all of it is true but he does make solid arguments.

Donger
If I wrote for the Star, I'd name names. But I'm writing for a national audience. No one cares about Kietzman, Mellinger, etc on a national platform. I never shied away from naming names.

Carry on.

Do you deny that you are butthurt over not being given the access that you wanted from Pioli and Haley?

Pawnmower
"Haley has nothing to do with the fact the Chiefs have made the biggest turn-around in franchise History"

SHitlock

MOhillbilly
01-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Like clockwork orange....We all knew this was coming....
FYP.
so sweet from the outside, so machine like inside.

dirk digler
01-03-2011, 10:36 AM
I still haven't figured out this Pioli obession with Whitlock. He says he loves the sound of his own voice but the guy rarely talks to the media. If CP was still here he would be all over TV saying how great he is.

Baby Lee
He's all but admitted this is pure outsider speculation. He admits he hasn't watched the Chiefs play enough to grade the players. He admits he isn't inside with the organization. He admits that this entire article is his 'belief.' He has as little, or less, insight as any of us on this BB.

But, he has a big mouth and a big platform, and this is exactly what I was worried about yesterday

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=239497

The best that could come of this is folks like Fitzie reading it and penning an impassioned rebuttal.

KILLER_CLOWN
One thing is for certain he definitely gets the attention of planeteers.

Brock
01-03-2011, 10:38 AM
The best that could come of this is folks like Fitzie reading it and penning an impassioned rebuttal.

That would be pretty funny. Whitlock would look incredibly dumb if that happened.

ClevelandBronco
01-03-2011, 10:39 AM

Carry on.

Your point is valid. I would have suggested that you should leave it out entirely if your defense is that you're addressing a national audience. If they don't care about the names of the offending members of the K.C. media, they also don't care that what you say about them may be true.

BTW, I enjoy reading your work.

Baby Lee
01-03-2011, 10:40 AM

Kids gather when the monkey house at the zoo is in full poo-flinging mode, too.

Deberg_1990
01-03-2011, 10:40 AM

Of course...his whole schtick is to incite. No such thing as bad or negative publicity if it helps to keep your "name" out there.

dirk digler
01-03-2011, 10:41 AM

Carry on.

No you wouldn't. And as much as I hate KK he was bashing the Chiefs big time over the them hiding the reason why Cassel missed practice over his appendectomy. I believe he called them liars and it might jeopardize their standing with the Chiefs.

ClevelandBronco
01-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Do you deny that you are butthurt over not being given the access that you wanted from Pioli and Haley?

Actually, I would think that a denial of access could play right into his hand, so long as he plays the hand well.

EDIT: But perhaps (as people reading this for the first time will soon see) there's no denial of access:

...You don't know what the hell you're talking about...

B_Ambuehl
01-03-2011, 10:42 AM
He's right though.

I don't think Pioli deserves the credit as he gives him as the best players on this team are all Carl's players, but we've all seen Haley's atrocious 4th down gambling on the field. If he also turns out to be the reason why Weis left that's another big negative. It's time for Haley to bring something to the game. At some point the passing game needs to start looking like something similar to Arizonas in '08 or I have to wonder if he actually contributes much of anything to this team.

jwhit
01-03-2011, 10:43 AM

Last season I had 10 times more access to Pioli and Haley than I ever had/wanted with Herm and Carl.

Pioli was more than willing to go to private dinners and tell me how great he was.
Haley extremely approachable away from the football complex. You don't know what the hell you're talking about.

I actually like Haley. I think Pioli is far more egotistical than Carl Peterson. I don't think Haley is a qualified head coach. I think Pioli is very good as his job (so far).

FAX
01-03-2011, 10:43 AM
The "golden spoon" that Haley presumably had in his mouth when he was born was a crapload of 20 hour days breaking down film and fetching coffee. When was the last time you actually earned a paycheck, Mr. jwhit?

Frankly, any first-year journalism major could write a more well-researched, informed, and compelling story. You have burned every bridge that could temporarily hold your weight, yet Haley is (by all accounts) well-respected in the league by both those with whom and for whom he has worked.

Several of these Planeteers are absolutely right ... you have nothing to offer anymore other than the rantings of a spurned gadfly.

FAX

DJ's left nut
01-03-2011, 10:44 AM
For as much as Whitlock talks out his ass - admit it, you'd rather read his article than another piece of Mellinger or Babb tripe.

Hell, I read Miklasz's stuff every Monday over at the Post-Dispatch to just see what real football columnists are writing about. Our guys are nothing more than beat writers and the Star has made itself wholely irrelevant with its decision not to replace Whitlock or Posnanski with qualified opinion columnists that can actually engender thought provoking debate on occasion.

Whitlock is very very wrong here, IMO, but it can generate discussion.

Isn't that a damn sight better than Mellinger yacking on about how "Brian Waters is preparing for next week's showdown...". We get nothing more than banal truisims and beat writer schlock from the local media anymore. If I could only get Poz or Whitlock back, I'd take Poz without question. But if Whitlock were my only choice, I'd gladly bring back the guy that at least has something to say on occasion.

The present batch sucks dicks.

warrior
01-03-2011, 10:47 AM
The "golden spoon" that Haley presumably had in his mouth when he was born was a crapload of 20 hour days breaking down film and fetching coffee. When was the last time you actually earned a paycheck, Mr. jwhit?

Frankly, any first-year journalism major could write a more well-researched, informed, and compelling story. You have burned every bridge that could temporarily hold your weight, yet Haley is (by all accounts) well-respected in the league by both those with whom and for whom he has worked.

Several of these Planeteers are absolutely right ... you have nothing to offer anymore other than the rantings of a spurned gadfly.

FAX

Well said --Mr Fax

Mr. Arrowhead
01-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Last season I had 10 times more access to Pioli and Haley than I ever had/wanted with Herm and Carl.

Pioli was more than willing to go to private dinners and tell me how great he was.
Haley extremely approachable away from the football complex. You don't know what the hell you're talking about.

I actually like Haley. I think Pioli is far more egotistical than Carl Peterson. I don't think Haley is a qualified head coach. I think Pioli is very good as his job (so far).
So I guess what your saying is we could of had you as our head coach and we still would have won 10 games since Haley is not a NFL head coach and all. good grief.

Baby Lee
01-03-2011, 10:48 AM
For as much as Whitlock talks out his ass - admit it, you'd rather read his article than another piece of Mellinger or Babb tripe.

Hell, I read Miklasz's stuff every Monday over at the Post-Dispatch to just see what real football columnists are writing about. Our guys are nothing more than beat writers and the Star has made itself wholely irrelevant with its decision not to replace Whitlock or Posnanski with qualified opinion columnists that can actually engender thought provoking debate on occasion.

Whitlock is very very wrong here, IMO, but it can generate discussion.

Isn't that a damn sight better than Mellinger yacking on about how "Brian Waters is preparing for next week's showdown...". We get nothing more than banal truisims and beat writer schlock from the local media anymore. If I could only get Poz or Whitlock back, I'd take Poz without question. But if Whitlock were my only choice, I'd gladly bring back the guy that at least has something to say on occasion.

The present batch sucks dicks.

That's like saying Tom Green is a more talented entertainer than Bristol Palin.

dirk digler
01-03-2011, 10:48 AM

I don't see how you can compare Pioli and CP. If you listen to them speak one comes off sincere, gracious, and actually knows what he is talking about and CP comes off as a raging douchebag.

I bet you wouldn't deny that if CP was still here he would be all over TV telling us how great he is.

But Pioli is nowhere to be found.

Lzen
01-03-2011, 10:51 AM
I don't see how you can compare Pioli and CP. If you listen to them speak one comes off sincere, gracious, and actually knows what he is talking about and CP comes off as a raging douchebag.

I bet you wouldn't deny that if CP was still here he would be all over TV telling us how great he is.

Pioli went to private dinners with Whitlock, don't ya know? :rolleyes:ROFL

jwhit
01-03-2011, 10:52 AM
So I guess what your saying is we could of had you as our head coach and we still would have won 10 games since Haley is not a NFL head coach and all. good grief.

You realize a lot of coaches -- in any sport -- look successful for a short period of time and then their flaws destroy them. This is true in any line of work. The KC Star had an unqualified sports editor for 3 years who won a bunch of awards despite spending most of her day posting on Facebook and making sure the executive editor was "happy."

Haley looks successful in this window. He's not making the necessary adjustments to sustain success.

Anyone remember how good Charlie Weis/Tyrone Willingham looked their first years at Notre Dame?

DJ's left nut
01-03-2011, 10:53 AM
That's like saying Tom Green is a more talented entertainer than Bristol Palin.

I'd say it's more like saying that Bill Simmons is a more entertaining writer than Chris Mortenson.

Simmons has devolved into little more than a charicature of what made him great (much like Whitlock has). At the same time, he'll occasionally bring something interesting to the table that can inspire discussion.

Mortenson just recycles the same hash over and over again.

Neither of them are David Halberstam, but given my druthers I know which direction I'd choose.

If any of you honestly prefer the Star's present sports section to what it was 2 years ago, I just don't understand it. I never even stop by the site anymore - there's just nothing of interest to be found.

Los Pollos Hermanos
01-03-2011, 10:53 AM
I actually like a lot of Whitlock's columns but sometimes, like here, he tries too hard to be controversial.

The Bad Guy
01-03-2011, 10:55 AM
You realize a lot of coaches -- in any sport -- look successful for a short period of time and then their flaws destroy them. This is true in any line of work. The KC Star had an unqualified sports editor for 3 years who won a bunch of awards despite spending most of her day posting on Facebook and making sure the executive editor was "happy."

Haley looks successful in this window. He's not making the necessary adjustments to sustain success.

Anyone remember how good Charlie Weis/Tyrone Willingham looked their first years at Notre Dame?

Awful comparison.

If Haley does well next year, will you write a retaction? Or just continue with your bullshit?

You calling anyone an egomaniac is on the same level of you calling someone else fat. Look in the mirror.

MOhillbilly
01-03-2011, 10:55 AM
team talent makes the HC more times than not.

Mr. Arrowhead
01-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Awful comparison.

You calling anyone an egomaniac is on the same level of you calling someone else fat. Look in the mirror.

ROFL

Baby Lee
I'd say it's more like saying that Bill Simmons is a more entertaining writer than Chris Mortenson.

Simmons has devolved into little more than a charicature of what made him great (much like Whitlock has). At the same time, he'll occasionally bring something interesting to the table that can inspire discussion.

Mortenson just recycles the same hash over and over again.

Neither of them are David Halberstam, but given my druthers I know which direction I'd choose.

If any of you honestly prefer the Star's present sports section to what it was 2 years ago, I just don't understand it. I never even stop by the site anymore - there's just nothing of interest to be found.

I prefer the Tom Green analogy, b/c while Simmons might be watered down nowadays, he isn't a poo flinger. Many times he's shut down or edited out controversial stuff on his show [the LeBron's Mom thing and a certain Jets' coach's wife's feet come to mind]. jwhit has that 'bum on a rail, bum on a rail, sittin' on a rail on my bum bum bum' quality.

Lzen
Awful comparison.

If Haley does well next year, will you write a retaction? Or just continue with your bullshit?

This. :thumb:

wazu
01-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Wow. Brutal. I can buy the Pioli/Egoli thing, but you have to reach pretty hard to paint Haley as "not an NFL HC" while conceding that he may make some noise in the playoffs. I don't care who the Chiefs played, they managed a 10-6 record and a division championship, they play disciplined, and they have found their identity on offense and defense under Haley.

You don't do that with just a bunch of rookie team captains and bad coaching. If Haley was "not an NFL head coach", that would have over-ridden anything Pioli or Wies or Crennel were trying to do with this team.

jwhit
01-03-2011, 10:58 AM

Some people are more clever with how they work the media.

Just think about any line of work. Apply it to your work situation. Some people spend the work day pretending to be the most sincere, humble employee around all their peers and then talk sh&t on all of their co-workers to the boss in private.

Pioli is working the media through different channels.

Sometimes the people who spend the most effort trying to project humility and sincerity are the most insincere, arrogant people you'll ever meet.

MOhillbilly
01-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Anyone who thinks this team cant win from the bottom because of coaching is a damn fool.

FringeNC
01-03-2011, 10:59 AM
If Haley's not an NFL coach, what about Norv Turner? Marvin Lewis? Pete Carroll? etc., etc., etc. Other than the last game, the Chiefs pretty much whipped the teams that didn't have a significant talent advantage over them. And how can that NOT be coaching. Okay, perhaps it was all Weis and Crennel? Unlikely, but possible.

Personally, I think Bill Parcells would know more than Jason Whitlock about having what it takes to be an effective head coach, and Parcells has been pimping Haley for a HC job for years.

Flachief58
01-03-2011, 11:00 AM
4321 Fatlock

Ebolapox
01-03-2011, 11:00 AM
I don't give a fuck how arrogant pioli is as long as he brings us a lombardi.

DJ's left nut
01-03-2011, 11:01 AM
I prefer the Tom Green analogy, b/c while Simmons might be watered down nowadays, he isn't a poo flinger. Many times he's shut down or edited out controversial stuff on his show [the LeBron's Mom thing and a certain Jets' coach's wife's feet come to mind]. jwhit has that 'bum on a rail, bum on a rail, sittin' on a rail on my bum bum bum' quality.

But that's laziness on the part of the reader.

C'mon - there is legitimately interesting stuff in that article to talk about. I pointed out the section that I thought most intriguing, but there are a handful of others as well.

Folks tend to read Whitlock and read it expecting to get pissed about it. I assure you that if this is your design, you will rarely if ever be disappointed.

The trick is to abandon his thesis. As I've alluded to, they tend to suck. However, interwoven throughout his logical fallacies and porous arguments are legitimate points of discussion that we never EVER get from Babb or Mellinger.

Ultimately, I'll take that. It's incumbant upon me, the reader, to take advantage of it however. If I'm unwilling to parse through the article to get to the points that are legitimately interesting, then a board like this will be full of dittoheads and mindless drones. Articles like this one, and the people that are willing to boil them down a bit, are what make for interesting debate.

J Diddy
01-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Congrats, that's a personal best. I didn't read it past the first sentence. Little pissed that I read that much.

ct
01-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Where's fatlock been all year?

The Bad Guy
If Haley's not an NFL coach, what about Norv Turner? Marvin Lewis? Pete Carroll? etc., etc., etc. Other than the last game, the Chiefs pretty much whipped the teams that didn't have a significant talent advantage over them. And how can that NOT be coaching. Okay, perhaps it was all Weis and Crennel? Unlikely, but possible.

Personally, I think Bill Parcells would know more than Jason Whitlock about having what it takes to be an effective head coach, and Parcells has been pimping Haley for a HC job for years.

Whitlock clearly has an ax to grind.

Whitlock's shelf life has expired. What once was a sound voice, has now become bitter, old and tired. Much like the soles of his feet for having to carry around the empire state building all day.

KILLER_CLOWN
I don't give a **** how arrogant pioli is as long as he brings us a lombardi.

Unless it interferes with sound decision making, our last GM had a problem with that. He actually thought he could bring in Herm Edwards and make us a winner.

MOhillbilly
I don't give a **** how arrogant pioli is as long as he brings us a lombardi.

what it must feel like to be a fan of a powerhouse club that goes on a ten year tear.

The Bad Guy
01-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Where's fatlock been all year?

Eating himself to death in California. Fat Burger's the main beneficiary.

FAX
01-03-2011, 11:04 AM

Necessary adjustments? He's been on the job for less than two years ... or is your calendar too stained with BBQ sauce and tears that it's no longer functional? Perhaps some time might be allowed for a necessary adjustment or two?

Meanwhile, here's a necessary adjustment for you; why don't you consider including "researched facts" that support the "logic" of your "argument" or "point of view" in your pieces ... rather than merely (and painfully obviously) presenting the projections of your own emotional needs? I'm sure that these items help you vent, but for the reader, it's a little embarrassing ... like listening in on a therapy session gone bad.

FAX

LaChapelle
Typical Jason story line: I hate white people with authority

DeezNutz
jwhit, you want to expound upon what seems like an unbelievably unfair assessment of Haley's work in Arizona? Are you completely disregarding the comments that have come out from the players there?

Baby Lee
Some people are more clever with how they work the media.

Just think about any line of work. Apply it to your work situation. Some people spend the work day pretending to be the most sincere, humble employee around all their peers and then talk sh&t on all of their co-workers to the boss in private.

Pioli is working the media through different channels.

Sometimes the people who spend the most effort trying to project humility and sincerity are the most insincere, arrogant people you'll ever meet.

Without specifics, this some craven bullshit. There isn't a person on earth you can't level these charges at. Hitchens pulled the same shit with Mother Teresa, but at least he had the huevos to cite specific anecdotes from which you could draw your own conclusions.

We have access to Pioli's public persona, if there is actual evidence that his private persona is markedly different, not winking allusions, not 'hey trust me's,' provide it or SHUT THE FUCK UP.

DJ's left nut
01-03-2011, 11:05 AM

Aye - there's the rub.

The Chiefs have beaten bad teams with fairly average talent that certainly doesn't put them at an elite level. They've beaten those bad teams by simply not getting in their own way - something that a lot of clubs have been unable to do this season (I'm looking at you, Houston, NYG, SF, etc...)

Meanwhile, they've gotten drilled a couple of times by teams that are able to destroy them at the point of attack and/or outrun them w/ skill position players.

In other words, many of our wins have been directly attributable to coaching whereas many of our losses are for lack of talent.

It seems to me that this wouldn't support any notion that all credit is to be given to Pioli.

KILLER_CLOWN

This article seems free from race baiting.

The Bad Guy

Oh snap. Now you've done it.

The big fat wolf is going to huff and puff now.

blaise
01-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Yes, Jason will truly be a genius if Haley doesn't pan out in the long run. After all, like 90% of coaches win multiple Super Bowls, so he's really going out on a limb.

Samson
01-03-2011, 11:07 AM
it's clearly personal, from a pretend professional.

FringeNC
01-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Whitlock clearly has an ax to grind.

Whitlock's shelf life has expired. What once was a sound voice, has now become bitter, old and tired. Much like the soles of his feet for having to carry around the empire state building all day.

Yeah, it's amazing. It's like he doesn't watch the NFL. How on earth can Haley be singled out as a bad head coach in this league, this year?

Despite his assertions to the contrary, Whitlock begrudges Haley's easy rise to the top. He doesn't think it's fair.

Baby Lee
01-03-2011, 11:09 AM
But that's laziness on the part of the reader.

C'mon - there is legitimately interesting stuff in that article to talk about. I pointed out the section that I thought most intriguing, but there are a handful of others as well.

Folks tend to read Whitlock and read it expecting to get pissed about it. I assure you that if this is your design, you will rarely if ever be disappointed.

The trick is to abandon his thesis. As I've alluded to, they tend to suck. However, interwoven throughout his logical fallacies and porous arguments are legitimate points of discussion that we never EVER get from Babb or Mellinger.

Ultimately, I'll take that. It's incumbant upon me, the reader, to take advantage of it however. If I'm unwilling to parse through the article to get to the points that are legitimately interesting, then a board like this will be full of dittoheads and mindless drones. Articles like this one, and the people that are willing to boil them down a bit, are what make for interesting debate.

I think we're whistling past each other here. I'm not advocating the present Star editorial staff. I'm applying the 'better than bad =! good' while you're advocating sifting jwhit's poop for gold.

CosmicPal
01-03-2011, 11:10 AM
May I present to you, CosmicPal's completely edited version of his own article. Please enjoy. :p

Whitlock is writing despite lack of brain cells
CosmicPal
0 comments »
Updated Jan 3, 2011 12:01 PM ET

Let’s hope Chiefs fans and ChiefsPlanet derailed the Jason Whitlock sportswriter-of-the-year bandwagon.

Whitlock — not his ability to formulate sentences — is quite possibly the biggest fraud in journalism.

I say that with absolute malice and pleasure.

Personally, I don’t like Jason Whitlock. It’s true. Away from an all-you-can-eat buffet, removed from the overbearing presence of Kansas City Chief’s fans, it’s my impression that Whitlock is an awful stand-up comedian.

Unfortunately, he’s also a fatally flawed sportswriter. He’s insecure, mean-spirited, emotional and irrational. For two years, he has tried to master a Bill Faulkner impersonation. Thanks to the all the readers of the sports world, some people have been fooled into believing Whitlock’s impersonation is working. I haven’t.

Whitlock is my hometown sportswriter. He covered the team at home and on the road for 16 straight years before Chiefs fans in August told him to leave the newspaper industry and split Kansas City for good.

The Chiefs are the football team we all love. They have the right head coach. I, not Fucklock say that knowing Kansas City’s ground game and ball security give them an excellent shot at making some noise in this year’s playoffs.

When the Chiefs do knock off the Ravens in the first round, the primary credit should go to the entire selfless team who worked so hard to make it here.

I, not Fucklock says that without malice or pleasure.

Personally, I can’t stand Fucklock. It’s true. In any environment, Fucklock is a low-character, self-absorbed egomaniac in love with the sound of his voice. I call him “Fat-Fuck.” I love giving sportswriters nicknames. Based on the feedback I’ve received from knowledgeable football people, I’ve never come up with a more accurate nickname than Fat-Fuck.

My one regret about this football season was the knowledge Fat-Fuck would face little resistance in intimidating, bullying and co-opting the local media. It doesn’t take much more than a wink, a nod and a visit to the Fox Sports for local fans to get very weak in the knees.

Fat-Fuck is the son-in-law of Bill Cosby and, from his days in New England, has mastered a black Bill Clinton impersonation. And I mean that as a compliment. From his decrepit office, Fat-Fuck has re-created some of the anger and resentment in Kansas City.

When I watch the Chiefs play, I see Fat-Fuck’s sad fat face everywhere. And I see Haley exposing Fat-Fuck for the fraud that he is to protect the integrity of his football team.

Haley spent his first season hamming it up for the TV cameras, yelling and screaming at any player who dared to make the slightest error. This year, he decided he would out-Sean Payton New Orleans coach Sean Payton and stamp himself as the most swashbuckling gambler in the history of professional football. On fourth down, regardless of the situation or common sense, Haley turned down punts, chip-shot field goals and dates with 22-year-old supermodels so he could call an unforgettable fourth-down play.

It was not the smartest football.

The NFL blessed the Chiefs with a schedule that challenged them to be the best they could be on any given Sunday. The combined record of KC’s 13 opponents was 85-123. In compiling a 10-6 record and claiming the AFC’s fourth seed, the Chiefs beat one playoff qualifier, the record-setting 7-9 Seattle Seahawks- who should really be the subject of this article, and not the Chiefs.

Haley was additionally blessed with Pioli’s vision. In building Patriots West, KC’s general manager has stocked his roster with the kind of high-character, responsible players other teams talk about acquiring but rarely have the discipline to do so.

The Chiefs, like the Patriots, the Colts and the Falcons, are the anti-Bengals.

In free agency, Pioli nabbed Thomas Jones, Ryan Lilja and Casey Wiegmann. All three are rock-solid, natural leaders. In the 2010 draft, Pioli scooped up a bunch of talented team captains and choir boys (Eric Berry, Dexter McCluster, Javier Arenas, Jon Asamoah, Tony Moeaki and Kendrick Lewis).

Rather than pollute his locker room with irresponsible millionaires, Pioli has filled his locker room with young people who have a track record of responsibility.

The Chiefs, like the Patriots and the Falcons, play a responsible brand of football. It’s not a coincidence the Patriots (10), the Chiefs (14) and the Falcons (17) led the league in fewest giveaways. Pioli and Atlanta general manager Thomas Dimitroff learned the game working for Belichick.

I’ve yet to mention that Pioli used his Patriots background to help Haley land Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis as Kansas City’s defensive and offensive coordinators this season. On paper, Kansas City’s assistant-coaching staff is as good as it gets.

Fat-Fuck is a fraud,” the man who bickered with Jeff George, annoyed Carl Peterson and watched catholic schoolgirls make a slutty run to the little girls room.

Just before the start of his fraudulent career as sportswriter, Fucklock wrote for Highlights magazine. Yep, Fucklock threw away an entire career of children’s writing so he could call himself a sportswriter. That didn’t go too well. Fuckock had to blow a lot of men last year.

Weis showed up this season and promised to fix Fucklock.

Hmmm. Cassel put together a career year and probably deserved a spot on the AFC Pro Bowl team, ahead of Philip Rivers and Peyton Manning. Going into Sunday’s season finale, Cassel had thrown for 27 TDs and just five INTs. He was fixed.

Late in the year, game-day TV broadcasters curiously started talking about how closely Haley worked with Cassel this season. If you read between the lines, the message was getting passed that Weis didn’t fix Matt Cassel. Haley did. Or maybe it was quarterbacks coach Nick Sirianni. Does it really matter?

We do know this: It was Todd Haley who benched Cassel for a series in KC’s Week 16 game against the Tennessee Titans. And it was Matt Cassel who was spotted on the sideline screaming at Todd Haley for the benching. And that is between the two of them.

I say this without malice or pleasure: In the sports world, Fucklock is an attention whore. An insecure one.

Childhood back problems prevented Fucklock from ever getting laid. He jacked off in college. His dad, Dick Fucklock, was a legendary turd cleaner for the circus.

Todd is constantly trying to prove he wasn’t born sliding into the NFL’s home plate. He was, but no one really cares anymore except Fucklock. He can’t let it go.

Self-made writers who worked hard at their craft bring out Fucklock’s insecurity. A day or two after the Fox Sports hired Fucklock last January, he wrote a column in the Kansas City Star explaining in graphic detail why he never married.

Two days before Sunday’s Raiders-Chiefs clash, word leaked that Fucklock was taking his talents to the University of Florida as an alligator wrestler.

It’s my belief that Fucklock no choice but to stop writing for good. Fucklock is too insecure to work in a professional manner with confident, competent fans for an extended time.

I didn’t think much of Fucklock as a sportswriter. But there’s no denying the man knows how to jerk himself off. He’s arguably the best in the business. Fucklock put handcuffs on himself with constant interference and stupidity.

For two years, the Chiefs have had the NFL’s most explosive running back, Jamaal Charles. He’s better than Chris Johnson. Charles had the misfortune of being drafted by Carl Peterson and Herm Edwards. But that doesn’t matter.

Last season, Charles spent half the year underutilized and learning the system while Fucklock fed the dogs to blow him. Charles started the second half of the year, rushed for 1,100 yards and averaged 5.9 yards per carry.

This offseason, Pioli and Haley decided Charles would get a chance to earn his spot as a starter. They acquired Thomas Jones to lead him in the right direction. Despite a 3.7-yard average, Jones has carried the ball more and continued to start over Charles, who entered the last game with a chance to be the league’s leading rusher. His 6.4-yard average is more than a yard better than any of the league’s other top-20 rushing leaders.

Yeah, I don’t blame Fucklock for getting the hell out of Kansas City.

When it was over, Fucklock tried to sell the myth that his impending defection to write sonnets played no role in his own miserable life. Fucklock implied he was joining his teenage son in a soft porn movie. Fucklocks’ son will be an 18-year-old freshman at Florida next fall and a student assistant at Florida. Behind the scenes, the Chiefs’ media-relations staff tried to paint even less-believable scenarios, including that Fucklock really wants to be a ballerina in a tutu.

(I nearly passed out from laughing when the Chiefs’ top media underling called Fucklock unsolicited and explained what a true bum he is.)

Fucklock took the high road and claimed his return to sportswriting has nothing to do with his problematic jerking off.

I’m sure Fucklocks’ contract forbids him from coming to KC for any barbeque. His easiest escape is back to the online porn and a million-dollar-a-year spending habits on Asian whores.

If Fucklock reverts to the form he exhibited before eating like a pig in 2009 and he has success in Florida, he could be a real stand up guy in 2012 or 2013 (after getting out of jail).

Hell, Fucklock might be the next Ernie Hemingway if he ever applied himself and shut his fat trap.

I would love to see the Chiefs win the Super Bowl this season. Todd Haley is a rising star as an NFL head coach.

bobbything
There are a few valid concerns in here; such as the real reason(s) Weis is hightailing it out of town. I thought that portion of the article was solid.

However, the whole "ego" thing is dumb. It really has no bearing on anything. On one hand, you're calling Pioli out for a myriad of things that most people consider to be character flaws. On the other, you're saying he's done a good job. I'm not sure what one has to do with the other, unless you're just wanting to point out that Pioli is more arrogant than Carl Peterson (which, behind closed doors, with media-types like you, might be true, but I, the layman, don't really care because Pioli isn't whoring himself out all over the place bragging about how he drafted Tony Gonzalez 150 years ago).

The reality is that Haley is probably very difficult to work with. Much more so if you've won a Super Bowl, and been a head coach at one of the most prominent football schools in the history of the sport. At this point, it doesn't look like Weis' tenure here was going to be anything more than what it was; a pit stop en route to something else.

wazu
Funny thing is, it seems like we've gotten quite a few sound bites from Haley on the sideline during games this year. To me he appears to be solidly in control. Much calmer than I am during the games. And he is asking for input and advice, but not in an insecure way. (i.e. the "should I freeze him" question in the Buffalo game.)

JD10367
01-03-2011, 11:11 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/kansas-city-chiefs-are-legit-but-coach-todd-haley-is-a-fraud-010311

Personally, I can’t stand Scott Pioli. It’s true. In any environment, Pioli is a low-character, self-absorbed egomaniac in love with the sound of his voice. I call him “Egoli.” I love giving sports figures nicknames. Based on the feedback I’ve received from NFL people, I’ve never come up with a more accurate nickname than Scott Egoli.

My one regret about my leaving KC during this football season was the knowledge Egoli would face little resistance in intimidating, bullying and co-opting the local media. It doesn’t take much more than a wink, a nod and a visit to the GM’s office for local media types to get very weak in the knees.

Judging from the self-importance oozing out of this article, and from what I've read about you from the posters on this board, I'd think you are excellent at identifying these types of people.

tooge
Ugh, that was terrible. The "benching" of Cassel as he continually refers, was not a benching at all, but rather a three play break to iron some things out. Larry Fitzgerald is constantly crediting much of his success to Haley, yet Craplock writes that Haley simply "watched" as Fitzgerald excelled. Boring Jason! Move on. you haven't been relevant since KC got rid of Marty. Get a new schtick please.

Zeke
Every article written by Whitlock results in message boards talking about Jason, rather than the context of the articles. A win\win for "Big Fly".

ClevelandBronco
01-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Every article written by Whitlock results in message boards talking about Jason, rather than the context of the articles. A win\win for "Big Fly".

He's very good at what he does.

jwhit
01-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Without specifics, this some craven bullshit. There isn't a person on earth you can't level these charges at. Hitchens pulled the same shit with Mother Teresa, but at least he had the huevos to cite specific anecdotes from which you could draw your own conclusions.

We have access to Pioli's public persona, if there is actual evidence that his private persona is markedly different, not winking allusions, not 'hey trust me's,' provide it or SHUT THE **** UP.

Dude, I already wrote about it in a column last year for the Star. Pioli/Haley took several KC Star writers, including me, to dinner at Garrozzos downtown. Pioli embarrassed the hell out of Haley during a 3-hour dinner. Talked over top of him, cut him off repeatedly. Reduced Haley to sharing cell-phone pics of his house in Arizona to me while Pioli went on and on. Pioli then ranted, cussed and screamed about how we all needed to be on board with his program, and how if we weren't we were trying to take food off his table. Some of the dumbest ish I've ever heard. I'd tell you what I told him to his face in front of everybody, but you'd start whining and crying about how I'm lying.

KILLER_CLOWN
01-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Dude, I already wrote about it in a column last year for the Star. Pioli/Haley took several KC Star writers, including me, to dinner at Garrozzos downtown. Pioli embarrassed the hell out of Haley during a 3-hour dinner. Talked over top of him, cut him off repeatedly. Reduced Haley to sharing cell-phone pics of his house in Arizona to me while Pioli went on and on. Pioli then ranted, cussed and screamed about how we all needed to be on board with his program, and how if we weren't we were trying to take food off his table. Some of the dumbest ish I've ever heard. I'd tell you what I told him to his face in front of everybody, but you'd start whining and crying about how I'm lying.

I'm intrigued, let's hear it.

FAX
01-03-2011, 11:16 AM

We have access to Pioli's public persona, if there is actual evidence that his private persona is markedly different, not winking allusions, not 'hey trust me's,' provide it or SHUT THE **** UP.

Whittles never provides documentation, Mr. Baby Lee. Rarely, anyhow. At least, I can't recall the last time he didn't prefer instead the "nudge-nudge, Bob's your uncle" approach to defamation.

FAX

DJ's left nut
01-03-2011, 11:19 AM
I'm applying the 'better than bad =! good' while you're advocating sifting jwhit's poop for gold.

Probably a fair breakdown.

But with the state of sports journalism being what it is (and where it's trending due to escalating costs and declining revenues), I think sports fans are pretty much going to have to get to sifting.

The days of Grantland Rice are over. If you want interesting discussion, I think you're going to have to work for it. In that regard, Whitlock was a legitimate asset for the Star. As I noted, their mistake wasn't exactly dismissing him, but rather that they did nothing to replace him.

You need opinion columnists. This article is an incorrect opinion, IMO - but it does a lot to show the value of that type of column. Buried within the opinion are points of discussion that you don't get from the beat writers. Even when said opinion is wrong-headed or poorly supported.

That's worth something, IMO.

tooge
01-03-2011, 11:19 AM

Your insecurities are so obvious. Is it because you can't control your food? Is it because you got ousted at the Star because you didn't get your way? Perhaps Haley wanted to share pics of his pad in AZ. You JWhit are pitiful.

RINGLEADER
01-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Yawn.

I stopped wasting my time on this article when I got to the part where he said Cassel was screaming at Haley on the sidelines for being benches one series against the Titans. It just didn't happen, no matter how badly Jason wanted it to happen.

But to quote Jason, he just can't let it go.

FAX
01-03-2011, 11:22 AM

You are so strong. Like bull.

So ... that was the genesis of "Egoli"? The dinner party? When Pioli "cussed" and stuff?

FAX

morphius
01-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Of course nowhere does Whitlock anywhere mention the complete change in demeanor on the sideline this year for Haley. Instead he throws up an incident about pulling Cassel for a series where he wasn't throwing anything that looked like a tantrum. But hey, I guess he has limited time to be bothered with watching the Chiefs when he can just try to write an I told you so about something he can at best speculate as he has already admitted he can't find any evidence to the contrary.

Baby Lee
01-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Hitchen's case that Mother Teresa is a fraud]
MT was not a friend of the poor. She was a friend of poverty. She said that suffering was a gift from God. She spent her life opposing the only known cure for poverty, which is the empowerment of women and the emancipation of them from a livestock version of compulsory reproduction. And she was a friend to the worst of the rich, taking misappropriated money from the atrocious Duvalier family in Haiti (whose rule she praised in return) and from Charles Keating of the Lincoln Savings and Loan. Where did that money, and all the other donations, go? The primitive hospice in Calcutta was as run down when she died as it always had been—she preferred California clinics when she got sick herself—and her order always refused to publish any audit. But we have her own claim that she opened 500 convents in more than a hundred countries, all bearing the name of her own order. Excuse me, but this is modesty and humility?
jwhit's case that Pioli is a fraud
He was really loud at a meal, wanted us in the media to support his vision, and I told him something I won't relate, but boy it zinged him good

Anyone see a difference?

Can't wait to see what jwhit told Pioli that proves Pioli's nature.

MOhillbilly
01-03-2011, 11:24 AM
thats some softball spin for a population that 99% of has never met a nfl exec or coach in person much less been on the inside.
Complete bullshit spin.

ClevelandBronco
01-03-2011, 11:25 AM
...Whitlock was a legitimate asset for the Star. As I noted, their mistake wasn't exactly dismissing him...

Dismissing him? I don't know the truth or the details, but that's a pretty loaded word. There's dismissing, and there's dismissing.

Dismissing him for cause, for instance, would be very different from dismissing him because they could no longer afford him or because their approaches were incompatible.

FringeNC
01-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Whitlock is making some implicit predictions here...

That the Chiefs won't be very good next year and that the offense will regress without Weis. If that doesn't happen, will that cause Whitlock to change his opinion of Haley? Of course not, because Whitlock is not objective in his analysis. Everything is emotion-driven.

The Bad Guy
01-03-2011, 11:26 AM

That the Chiefs won't be very good next year and that the offense will regress without Weis. If that doesn't happen, will that cause Whitlock to change his opinion of Haley? Of course not, because Whitlock is not objective in his analysis. Everything is emotion-driven.

Whitlock wrote how Berry was a failure earlier in the year, I'm still waiting for the backtrack from that.

Tuckdaddy
01-03-2011, 11:28 AM
The whole article is stupid. Fatlock doesn't know Haley or Pioli enough to make decisions on their personalities. Haley and Scott want the team to win the SB. They are building towards that and not towards who gets the credit.

DeezNutz

Exactly.

And the follow-up posts are indicative of this (references to short windows of success). He's obviously calling for a substantial drop, and an apology column will be incredibly necessary if this doesn't happen.

MOhillbilly
Whitlock wrote how Berry was a failure earlier in the year, I'm still waiting for the backtrack from that.

he talks to us on our BB like we are fucking idiots reading his magic 8-ball.

ChiefsCountry
01-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Having met Peterson he was a very nice guy actually. He played the media whore in public I think mainly bc Lamar Hunt didnt. Which you see Clark is out front anytime with the Chiefs have anything major now. I dont have as many connections with the Chiefs as I did since they revamped but Pioli ego thing is true from two very high ups I know. But its also a very northeastern culture thing as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

JASONSAUTO
01-03-2011, 11:29 AM

was all this in your column? could you link us to that?

ClevelandBronco
01-03-2011, 11:30 AM

You're not the first to ask some version of this question, but I have one for you: When the Chargers were still a playoff team, was Norv a good coach or was the talent level so high that it was just difficult for that team to lose?

morphius
Oh he is just waiting for him to slip and fall on an important pass play so that he can waste readers time with an entire article stroking himself about how he was right.

Heck, maybe Jason can tell that Pioli has a big ego because it kept bumping it to his...

FAX
The entire "ego" argument is absurd on its face.

Some people process an over-developed sense of self through high achievement. Others through more aberrant behaviors ... such as name-calling and character assassination via innuendo and inference.

Hopefully, in Pioli's case, we can count on his desire to prove himself a worthy GM to deliver the Lombardi to the fans. I suppose, however, that he would refuse the award due to his horrific ego problem.

FAX

B_Ambuehl
01-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Jwhit isn't the only one saying shit about Haley:

From Florio/PFT:

5. Haley needs to overhaul his image now.

Chiefs coach Todd Haley already has developed a reputation for being a big-feeling pain in the butt, a Parcells-style hard ass who has yet to win anything that would justify his attitude or demeanor. The perception was underscored by the decision of offensive coordinator Charlie Weis to leave Kansas City for the same position at a collegiate program, a clear step down for a guy who had quickly rediscovered his NFL magic after a failed stint at Notre Dame.

It would make plenty of sense for Haley to pursue former Broncos coach Josh McDaniels to replace Weis. But Haley’s actual or perceived ego, insecurities, and/or arrogance possibly will get in the way.

Actually, the availability of McDaniels gives Haley a golden opportunity to change his image. If the perception is reality, Haley wouldn’t want McDaniels. If Haley hires McDaniels, then perhaps Haley isn’t so bad after all — and perhaps he’s capable of changing.

Either way, Haley needs a solid offensive coordinator. He didn’t have one last year, and the team suffered for it. This time around, Haley would be wise to reunite McDaniels with quarterback Matt Cassel, if Haley wants to actually achieve the kind of success that would partially justify the manner in which he carries and conducts himself.

MOhillbilly
01-03-2011, 11:33 AM
ill take a hard ass that wins over a cream puff like herm.

Hard ass player coaches win in the NFL. Players coaches who arent a hardass dont.

FAX
01-03-2011, 11:35 AM

From Florio/PFT:

For God's sake, man. That's just as wacky as anything Whittles has scratched out on a bar napkin.

So ... if Haley hires McDipstick, he's good? And, if he doesn't, he sucks? That's bad acid trip kind of crazy, right there.

FAX

FringeNC
01-03-2011, 11:37 AM
You're not the first to ask some version of this question, but I have one for you: When the Chargers were still a playoff team, was Norv a good coach or was the talent level so high that it was just difficult for that team to lose?

Tough question. He's like Wade Philips. Good offenses and good defenses, good schemes, good stats...but seem to lose a lot of close games and in general underachieve. It seems to happen with enough frequency to go beyond bad luck.

blaise
01-03-2011, 11:37 AM
I don't know if it's posted, but he just tweeted to have someone contact Nick Wright for him so he can go on Nick's show later. Then Nick tweeted back that he thinks he can make that happen.

siberian khatru
01-03-2011, 11:41 AM
ROFLROFLROFL

JASONSAUTO
01-03-2011, 11:43 AM

From Florio/PFT:

actual or perceived. key words in that article.

florio has no idea either.

'Hamas' Jenkins
http://whatsup.lixlink.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/shitstorm.jpg

FringeNC
For God's sake, man. That's just as wacky as anything Whittles has scratched out on a bar napkin.

So ... if Haley hires McDipstick, he's good? And, if he doesn't, he sucks? That's bad acid trip kind of crazy, right there.

FAX

Haley needs to overhaul his image for whom? Whitlock and Florio?

Given his silver spoon, and sometimes obnoxious behavior, Haley is going to have to win before he is respected. He doesn't stroke media egos like Herm Edwards. Until Belichick won so much, he had his second-guessers for the same reason. Media types are actually moral simpletons. They don't think it's fair that Haley has the limelight simply because he is Dick Haley's son and they believe they could do better if only they had the opportunity.

Royal Fanatic
01-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Jason,

One question: Did you write this column yourself, or is Greg Hall still writing your columns for you?

JASONSAUTO
01-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Haley needs to overhaul his image for whom? Whitlock and Florio?

Given his silver spoon, and sometimes obnoxious behavior, Haley is going to have to win before he is respected. He doesn't stroke media egos like Herm Edwards. Until Belichick won so much, he had his second-guessers for the same reason. Media types are actually moral simpletons. They don't think it's fair that Haley has the limelight simply because he is Dick Haley's son and they believe they could do better if only they had the opportunity.

we arent talking about mecca here.

J/K Mecca

siberian khatru
01-03-2011, 11:47 AM
Predictable, petulant and beyond parody.

Perhaps the funniest part is his return this weekend, beginning with the self-bump, to seek validation and attention from his old crewe. Chiefs in the playoffs? Time to double down.

BTW, I agree with everything DJ said about The Star.

gblowfish
01-03-2011, 11:47 AM
I have a question?
Why does Fatlock have all this time today to chat up the CP about Haley? I guess since he doesn't have a real job, he can screw around on the net all day....

like the rest of us CPers.

And,

His opinion is just like all the other CPers. Just opinion.

I'd much rather read what FAX has to say. At least FAX can write a killer limerick now and again.

blaise
01-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Since Jason is around today tooting his own horn, maybe he should tell us again what a mistake Auburn made by not hiring Turner Gill.

ClevelandBronco
01-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Tough question. He's like Wade Philips. Good offenses and good defenses, good schemes, good stats...but seem to lose a lot of close games and in general underachieve. It seems to happen with enough frequency to go beyond bad luck.

Yeah, I'd have to say that Norv sucked the whole time, which, to me, shows that even a mid-level to sub-par coach in the NFL can get to the playoffs if he has enough talent on the team.

The indicator, it seems, is how the coach fares through talent transition. Belichick seemingly sets one end of the spectrum. We don't have nearly enough information to know where Haley will fall.

Baby Lee
01-03-2011, 11:52 AM
was all this in your column? could you link us to that?
Courtesy of fatchatter

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1463265.html

Haley shows some courage

JASON WHITLOCK COMMENTARY

Rookie head coach Todd Haley has a big pair.

You could see that Tuesday afternoon when he opened his news conference with a brief apology to the media for a postgame inconvenience orchestrated by Chiefs general manager Scott Egoli.

“Apologize for after the game, being out there late,” Haley said. “Rookie head coach here, rookie mistake. Unaware of the time limit and how that makes it harder for you guys to do your job after the game.”

And you could really see Haley’s courage when he talked about the play of his quarterbacks, The Sixty Million Dollar Man and Brokie Croyle.

Despite Matt Cassel’s hefty price tag and the stake Egoli has in Cassel’s success, Haley appears quite determined to make Cassel earn untouchable-franchise-QB status.

“You gotta ultimately do what you think gives your team the best chance to win,” Haley responded to a question about his QB philosophy. “If that means another quarterback being in there other than Matt Cassel, then sign me up.”

That was the money quote. Haley set it up by reminding reporters that as an NFL assistant in New York, Dallas and Arizona, he participated in the process of Glenn Foley, Drew Bledsoe and Matt Leinart getting demoted in favor of Vinny Testaverde, Tony Romo and Kurt Warner.

Haley’s Tuesday news conference was absolutely fascinating. It was Bill Parcells-esque, not Bill Belichick-esque.

You understand the difference? In dealing with the media, Parcells is real, honest, straightforward. Belichick is intentionally bland, mysterious and worthless. Haley was groomed by Parcells. Egoli was groomed by Belichick.

Parcells has been successful everywhere he’s coached. Belichick built a dynasty in New England after flopping in Cleveland.

We’re two weeks into the Haley-Egoli regular-season marriage, and I believe we’ve just seen our first public sign these guys might be unequally yoked. There are definite signals they disagree about Egoli’s Sixty Million Dollar Man.

Monday afternoon, I was mesmerized listening to 610 Sports as former Chiefs player and NFL broadcaster Bill Maas explained his opinion that Haley wanted to start Brodie Croyle against the Raiders and that Egoli objected.

I thought Maas was crazy, but he sounded very convincing.

Tuesday, as I listened to Haley discuss his QBs, I had to admit Billy Bob knew something.

Haley was asked if he could envision Cassel not being the starting quarterback this season.

“I wouldn’t speculate on that,” Haley said. “There were a lot of positives in Matt’s performance.”

Haley then added that in a typical football game, there are seven critical plays a quarterback can make that will be the difference between winning and losing.

“There were clearly seven in (the Raiders) game where we’d probably like to do something different,” Haley said.

In case you missed the connection, dude just said Cassel went zero for seven on game-deciding plays. That pretty much answers how Haley feels about the end-of-half debacle, the sack Cassel took on third and 1 at the end of the game and an assortment of other offensive calamities.

As for Croyle, Herm Edwards’ quarterback of the future, Haley had nothing but good things to say about Kansas City’s opening-day starter.

“I’m excited about Brodie’s progress,” Haley said. “I think Brodie getting to play in the first game, got his feet under him a little bit, started to gain some confidence, and I think that was clear in last week’s practices.”

Haley later relived Kansas City’s close loss at Baltimore: “I thought Brodie Croyle went into a very difficult situation, hostile environment, against a very good defense, and he looked like an NFL quarterback. He gave us a legitimate chance to win. He executed the game plan the way he was asked to execute it.”

So what do I think?

Croyle’s too injury-prone to be my starter. And Cassel was way too unproven to be anybody’s Sixty Million Dollar Man. Haley is in a tough position. I’m impressed with the way he’s handling it. He’s attempting to be true to the message he’s delivered to his players — every position is open to competition.

I haven’t made up my mind about Haley. I’ve had only one opportunity to really talk with him, and that sitdown was ruined by Egoli. He talked over the top of Haley the whole night (a three-hour dinner). Seriously, questions were asked directly to Haley, and Egoli drowned out the rookie head coach with fury, arrogance and rants about championship teams being built by playing secrecy games with the local media.

I was embarrassed for Haley and in awe of Pioli’s ego. I’ve covered professional sports for 16 years, wrestled with King Carl Peterson, stood toe to toe with drunken, delusional, hostile millionaire athletes, battled Mike Lupica and irritated billionaire owners.

None of them can touch Scott Egoli.

I like the fact Kansas City has a football coach with a pair big enough to try.
I'll leave the remainder of the article to provide insight into the quality of jwhit's assessments.

Bowser
01-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Inevitable

ClevelandBronco
01-03-2011, 11:54 AM
...Media types are actually moral simpletons.

Oh, hell yes.

They don't think it's fair that Haley has the limelight simply because he is Dick Haley's son and they believe they could do better if only they had the opportunity.

But this sounds more like guys who hang out on football forums. Media types usually enjoy the hell out of the part they play.

JASONSAUTO
01-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Courtesy of fatchatter

I'll leave the remainder of the article to provide insight into the quality of jwhit's assessments.

not exactly what he said today. why add details now a year/ two years later?

how did haley get the time to show pics of his house?

jAZ
01-03-2011, 11:55 AM

From Florio/PFT:
Technially, no. Pioli is the ego and a good GM. Haley is a good guy who's not an NFL coach. Let's get these accusations straight. But still, let's ignore that...

Chiefs coach Todd Haley already has developed a reputation for being a big-feeling pain in the butt, a Parcells-style hard ass who has yet to win anything that would justify his attitude or demeanor. The perception was underscored by the decision of offensive coordinator Charlie Weis to leave Kansas City for the same position at a collegiate program, a clear step down for a guy who had quickly rediscovered his NFL magic after a failed stint at Notre Dame.

Already clearly, passionately and vigorously refuted by Weis himself. Crushing the premise of the blurb.

It would make plenty of sense for Haley to pursue former Broncos coach Josh McDaniels to replace Weis. But Haley’s actual or perceived ego, insecurities, and/or arrogance possibly will get in the way.

Actually, the availability of McDaniels gives Haley a golden opportunity to change his image. If the perception is reality, Haley wouldn’t want McDaniels. If Haley hires McDaniels, then perhaps Haley isn’t so bad after all — and perhaps he’s capable of changing.

Catch 22. If Haley refuses to hire a recognized cheater, he proves he an arrogant, pain in the butt, hard ass.

jAZ
01-03-2011, 11:57 AM

From Florio/PFT:

Oh and one more thing...

...perhaps Haley isn’t so bad after all...

^
|

Admission that he has no idea if it's true or not.

jwhit
01-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Since Jason is around today tooting his own horn, maybe he should tell us again what a mistake Auburn made by not hiring Turner Gill.

Jeezuz, I wrote just the opposite. I blasted Charles Barkley for supporting Gill. Wrote an entire column saying Gill wasn't close to the right fit at Auburn.

Hell, I was totally lukewarm on Gill getting the Kansas job.

There's only one reason to assume I supported Gill at Auburn. And it doesn't have anything to do with what I wrote.

jAZ
01-03-2011, 12:02 PM
I haven’t made up my mind about Haley. I’ve had only one opportunity to really talk with him, and that sitdown was ruined by Egoli. He talked over the top of Haley the whole night (a three-hour dinner). Seriously, questions were asked directly to Haley, and Egoli drowned out the rookie head coach with fury, arrogance and rants about championship teams being built by playing secrecy games with the local media.

So Pioli took the media out to get them to calm down about not getting access to insider gossip. And he tried to impress upon them how loose lips sink ships and such. And since limited access is the death of a media outlet, and generally they aren't there to champion the news makers that they cover... it pissed off the media.

Well, Pioli is going to shut down media access regardless, so it seems reasonable to try to get them to like it. Can't hurt to try.

Certainly didn't hurt looking back.

Whitlock is just an emotional child with a vested interest in his career and little else. Enjoy LA.

blaise
01-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Jeezuz, I wrote just the opposite. I blasted Charles Barkley for supporting Gill. Wrote an entire column saying Gill wasn't close to the right fit at Auburn.

Hell, I was totally lukewarm on Gill getting the Kansas job.

There's only one reason to assume I supported Gill at Auburn. And it doesn't have anything to do with what I wrote.

Yes, I guess I confused you with Barkley. And you're right, I wrongly attributed the comments to you because of your physical characteristics. You and Charles are both fat loudmouths.
My apologies.

kcfanXIII
01-03-2011, 12:04 PM
As big of an ass as whitlock is, at least he posts and interacts here. Not too many media guys will do that.

This article is crap. Throw some more poo Jason, something will stick eventually.

Just Passin' By
01-03-2011, 12:06 PM

That pretty much sums up the stupidity of the column. The Pioli bashing is tired, and ridiculous in the face of such a rapid turnaround, so Haley has just become the next person in the bashing queue. It's a pathetic approach, really, designed to do little more than make the writer look edgy, and it's done at the expense of research and writing quality.

If the Chiefs take what is a likely step back next season, Whitlock will be able to dust off the "Egoli" bullshit all over again. If the Chiefs surprise and don't fall back, Whitlock can just keep claiming that it's all Pioli and the coordinators. It's a win/win scenario for a writer who can't be bothered to find something concrete to write about when it comes to the Chiefs.

Alton deFlat
01-03-2011, 12:07 PM
I say this without malice or pleasure. I don't like Jason Whitlock... in fact, I can't stand that fat SOB.

jAZ
01-03-2011, 12:08 PM
As big of an ass as whitlock is, at least he posts and interacts here. Not too many media guys will do that.

Given the circumstances that he shows up here, it's a reflection of his ego and nothing more. He's here talking about himself, Haley, Pioli and Peterson were just excuses to come in here and talk about himself.

Baby Lee
01-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Given the circumstances that he shows up here, it's a reflection of his ego and nothing more. He's here talking about himself, Haley, Pioli and Peterson were just excuses to come in here and talk about himself.

Ooooh, if you only knew what jwhit said RIGHT to Pioli's face, you would know for once and for all how big an ego . . . ummmm, Pioli has.

MahiMike
01-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Jason Whitlock - Keeping the funny papers relevant in 2011.

dirk digler
01-03-2011, 12:12 PM

I have asked you before to provide specific examples and I believe this is the first you really expounded on your dinner other than Pioli talking too much. So he actually screamed out loud and cussed everyone out? Why haven't the others in attendance said anything and who were they?

Baby Lee
01-03-2011, 12:15 PM
I have asked you before to provide specific examples and I believe this is the first you really expounded on your dinner other than Pioli talking too much. So he actually screamed out loud and cussed everyone out? Why haven't the others in attendance said anything and who were they?

I think some of that played out on the radio, when Jack Harry and Don Fortune were on board with giving Pioli room and Whitlock went apeshit.

JASONSAUTO
01-03-2011, 12:17 PM

at a dinner in public? someone would have leaked it before now.....

dirk digler
01-03-2011, 12:18 PM
I think some of that played out on the radio, when Jack Harry and Don Fortune were on board with giving Pioli room and Whitlock went apeshit.

So Jack Harry was at the dinner too?

morphius
01-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Jason Whitlock - Keeping the funny papers relevant in 2011.
Does that mean we can blame him for Family Circus?

dirk digler
01-03-2011, 12:21 PM

I think the Chiefs will definitely fall back down next year to 8-8, 7-9 etc

If you go look at the recent history of teams going from last to first the following year they lose on average 3-4 more games.

This isn't some grand prediction.

GoHuge
01-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Love how he gives Pioli credit for things that are happening on the field, and then completely leaves out the guy that is making these things happen on the field. The GM gives the coaching staff the pieces, and then the coaching staff does what they can to maximize those players potential. Yeah it was all Pioli that helped turn around DJ, Cassel, Bowe, etc that all had career years. This is typical fat **** Whitlock with a personal axe to grind.

Who the hell else is responsible for the turn around that took place on the field through out the course of the year? This piece of shit just can't stand that these guys are getting it done. Yes their schedule was an easy schedule, but they won enough games to be the AFC West Champions. WTF else did he want them to do? They went from 4-12 to 10-6 in this regime's second year! By all accounts they have exceeded where most people thought this team would be at this current time.

Not sure what happened between this fat **** and Pioli/Haley, but he just can't let it go. He's worse than the people that still bag on Cassel. They've made the playoffs and in Fat ****'s mind this is the worst thing that could have happened with the position he's taken regarding this regime. Every other doubter has eaten their crow, but not this piece of shit. He's just going to keep firing away with this dumb shit because of the butthurt somebody at Arrowhead put on him. He's scratching and clawing just trying to remain relevant. Guess this is his way of doing it. He got me to respond, but only to blab about my disgust for this piece of shit. He's fallen so low on the relevency totem pole he's actually joisting with people about his work on a message board!! ROFL

Dude has been run off from every job he's had, leaving a trail of shrapnel as he walks out the door. Sooner rather than later he'll have a tough time finding a job writing for WPI...........well I might be getting a little silly, but you get my point. I hope his ass has to find another line of work all together. All he's done over his "career" is promote Jason. Not the news like most journalist do, but has tried to make himself the news...........which completely goes against the principles of journalsi,. He's an entertainer only, and a bad one at that.

FAX
01-03-2011, 12:24 PM

Everyone else in attendance found themselves far too frightened to speak up, Mr. dirk digler ... having been utterly intimidated by Pioli and his overwhelmingly megalomaniacal presence.

Unlike, of course, Mr. jwhit, whose legendary strength and fortitude in the face of power was once again in full display when he leaned forward, looked Pioli straight in the eye, and said, "Could you pass the ketchup?"

FAX

Baby Lee
01-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Everyone else in attendance found themselves far too frightened to speak up, Mr. dirk digler ... having been utterly intimidated by Pioli and his overwhelmingly megalomaniacal presence.

Unlike, of course, Mr. jwhit, whose legendary strength and fortitude in the face of power was once again in full display when he leaned forward, looked Pioli straight in the eye, and said, "Could you pass the ketchup?"

FAX
Mr. Whitlock is immune to the Gindaloon ministrations of Messrs Garozzo [yes, that's how it's spelled Jason] and Pioli, he's seen the Sopranos and that shit don't scare him one bit.

jAZ
01-03-2011, 12:27 PM

See I think that's the wrong point here.

Does anyone care if Pioli has an ego, cusses and talks over Haley at dinner? I could care less. He's an amazing representative of the organziation in every one of the video's I've seen of him. And he's assembled a winning team in just over a year by bringing in talented players, and a solid coaching staff.

I am perfectly satisfied with that, without question.

And given the context of the dinner - Pioli trying to get the media to buy into to the team-first, breaking-news-stories last - I don't have any problem with Haley taking a back seat in the coversations.

I just don't give a damn if the local media EVER breaks any stories about the Chiefs. I as a fan and the general public just don't need to know anything about the team's moves. I get to see the results each week. It's the beauty of the sport. The gosip sells papers, it doesn't win games.

Of course, lack of gossip cuts into Jwhit's earning potential at the Star. Which pisses him off for sure. But neither Pioli, nor fans care about that. Not at all. Zip.

ChiefsandO'sfan
01-03-2011, 12:30 PM
I just wanna know if fat boy wrote something about raheem morris hes only fired 3 coordinator thats right morris is black he wont

jAZ

If you go look at the recent history of teams going from last to first the following year they lose an 3-4 more games.

Agreed 100%.

We benefited from a weak schedule this year. We will suffer from a tough schedule next year. We just need to keep improving our talent and coaching up our players, and I'll be happy.

The success of this season should buy Pioli and Haley more time to grow the franchise, and I'm sure with Clark Hunt it will. But with the media, and their tempermental constituents on message boards like CP... I fully expect to see expectations raised more than they should be.

Baby Lee
See I think that's the wrong point here.

Does anyone care if Pioli has an ego, cusses and talks over Haley at dinner? I could care less. He's an amazing representative of the organziation in every one of the video's I've seen of him. And he's assembled a winning team in just over a year by bringing in talented players, and a solid coaching staff.

I am perfectly satisfied with that, without question.

And given the context of the dinner - Pioli trying to get the media to buy into to the team-first, breaking-news-stories last - I don't have any problem with Haley taking a back seat in the coversations.

I just don't give a damn if the local media EVER breaks any stories about the Chiefs. I as a fan and the general public just don't need to know anything about the team's moves. I get to see the results each week. It's the beauty of the sport. The gosip sells papers, it doesn't win games.

Of course, lack of gossip cuts into Jwhit's earning potential at the Star. Which pisses him off for sure. But neither Pioli, nor fans care about that. Not at all. Zip.

The point here is that JWhit wants the sculpted story of getting the best worlds [from his POV], there's this duo, the GOOD guy who just plain sucks at his job [who can be the whipping boy for all failures], and the BAD guy who is adept at his job [who is the reason you shouldn't feel good about successes].

FringeNC
01-03-2011, 12:31 PM

If you go look at the recent history of teams going from last to first the following year they lose an 3-4 more games.

I'm talking about a Cinci level collapse, not 8-8 with a much tougher schedule. If we have a winning record next year, given the schedule, we'll be one of the better teams in the league.

dirk digler
01-03-2011, 12:35 PM

FAX

LMAO

Marcellus
01-03-2011, 12:35 PM
I think it's cool Whitlock still writes the occasional article for CP. I mean this was for us right? Nobody else is going to buy into this shit much less care.

It will get 50x the play here than it does anywhere else.

jwhit
01-03-2011, 12:37 PM

My memory says it was Teicher, Babb, Covitz and me.

Our incompetent sports editor (Holly Lawton) was pissed she wasn't invited.

Teicher, Babb and Covitz do not have the kind of positions and personalities that it would make sense for them to speak on this. Garrozos downtown has a private dining area upstairs.

I don't have a reason to lie. It happened. And I checked Pioli. He's a bully. I enjoy standing up to bullies.

Just Passin' By
01-03-2011, 12:39 PM
...He's a bully. I enjoy standing up to bullies.

How the fuck do you not get the irony of that statement?

KCUnited
01-03-2011, 12:40 PM
"I checked Pioli" ROFL

Sure you don't mean stromboli?

Donger
01-03-2011, 12:40 PM
He's a bully. I enjoy standing up to bullies.

Oh my, I suddenly feel faint.

FAX
01-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Mr. Whitlock is immune to the Gindaloon ministrations of Messrs Gorozzo [yes, that's how it's spelled Jason] and Pioli, he's seen the Sopranos and that shit don't scare him one bit.

Yes, Mr. Baby Lee.

Finally, a journalist has emerged who is willing to defy Pioli and his cacoethic efforts to dominate and control the hapless media. Armed with nothing more than a word processor, a few roasted chickens, a loaf of bread, and several pounds of butter, he steps forward to confront authority and speak truth in the face of overwhelming power.

Mr. jwhit's words of death are like iron.

Sadly, his breath of death is ... well ... pretty much like death.

FAX

jwhit
01-03-2011, 12:41 PM
I just wanna know if fat boy wrote something about raheem morris hes only fired 3 coordinator thats right morris is black he wont

You realize I live in LA and Kansas City? Have zero insight into the Bucs. Until you mentioned this, I had no clue the Bucs had fired 3 coordinators. Heard about the first one. But nothing since. Met Raheem Morris once in my life. Shook hands and talked for 5 minutes at the Super Bowl.

But, yes, I'm avoiding the subject because Raheem is black. That explains it.

jettio
01-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Haley is doing a good job.

Deberg_1990
01-03-2011, 12:43 PM
And I checked Pioli. He's a bully. I enjoy standing up to bullies.

Im sure you had Pioli shakin in his boots. ROFL

keg in kc
01-03-2011, 12:44 PM
I'm still relevant damn it

Lzen

From Florio/PFT:

More BS speculation and innuendo. The talk I'm hearing is that Haley would go to the Bucs coordinator since he worked with him previously.

HotRoute

This is priceless, and proves how dumb whitlock is. Taking a team from the bottom to the top means nothing in the NFL, oh wait . . . .

jAZ
01-03-2011, 12:47 PM

Why do people keep injecting race into this thread.

Please don't make me defend whitlock.

Marcellus
01-03-2011, 12:47 PM
There are 14 comments on his article on Foxsports.com. Like I said, nobody gives a shit outside of CP.

Lzen
01-03-2011, 12:48 PM

Did he really say that? ROFL

Deberg_1990
01-03-2011, 12:49 PM
There are 14 comments on his article on Foxsports.com. Like I said, nobody gives a shit outside of CP.

We have a WINNER!!

jAZ
01-03-2011, 12:50 PM
I enjoy standing up to bullies.

Oh, it's long been perfectly clear that it's all about you. No need to confess it right here in public.

Marcellus
01-03-2011, 12:52 PM
On ESPN right now they are saying if their is an ego issue between Haley and Weis it is Weis' huge ego that would be the problem.

jAZ
01-03-2011, 12:52 PM
I think it's cool Whitlock still writes the occasional article for CP. I mean this was for us right? Nobody else is going to buy into this shit much less care.

It will get 50x the play here than it does anywhere else.

That's an outstanding point.

Thanks JW!

jAZ
01-03-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm still relevant (on Chiefs Planet... now that Pioli and Haley got themselves into the playoffs... ) damn it
Fixed.

Dragonocho
01-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Dude won the AFC West in two years starting with a 2-14 team. Yup, definitely an indicator that he can't coach.
Lay off the peyote out there Whitlock.

dirk digler
01-03-2011, 12:55 PM

Teicher, Babb and Covitz do not have the kind of positions and personalities that it would make sense for them to speak on this. Garrozos downtown has a private dining area upstairs.

I don't have a reason to lie. It happened. And I checked Pioli. He's a bully. I enjoy standing up to bullies.

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Norman Einstein
01-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Please move back to Indiana.

Signed City of KC.

Can't we send him somewhere fun? Like Oakland where they would appreciate his hate filled commentary? Maybe he can start writing for another team he knows nothing about.

Or we can send him to Micronesia, he'd be a big man there.

blaise
01-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Did he really say that? ROFL

Actually, no. That was my mistake. It was Charles Barkley.

Von Dumbass
01-03-2011, 01:01 PM

That's because nobody cares about the Chiefs. If he wrote about the Broncos coaching search or Tim Tebow he would have gotten 10 times as many comments.

raybec 4
01-03-2011, 01:03 PM

Wait........Whitlock isn't Charles Barkley?

Lzen
01-03-2011, 01:08 PM

Yep, saw that after I posted. Thanks.

mlyonsd
01-03-2011, 01:12 PM
You missed your calling jwhit. Everything you write sounds like a story from a Real Housewives episode.

MoreLemonPledge
01-03-2011, 01:13 PM
That's because nobody cares about the Chiefs. If he wrote about the Broncos coaching search or Tim Tebow he would have gotten 10 times as many comments.

Yep, the Broncos are at the forefront of everyone's mind as we enter the first week of the playoffs.

trndobrd
01-03-2011, 01:13 PM
A quick summary of the major points of the article and discussion for those coming in late:

1) Todd Haley is not a good NFL head coach regardless of the performance of the team on the field.

2) Per JWhit, Todd Haley is insecure, mean-spirited, emotional, irrational and an attention whore on the sidelines.

3) Todd Haley has the BigSexy seal of approval as a stand-up guy.

4) Scott Pioli is an arrogant SOB, according to "NFL people".

5) Scott Pioli took a group of local sports media figures out to dinner to cuss and yell at them.

6) Scott Pioli is a mastermind of media manipulation according to JWhit.

7) Jason Whitlock does not like Scott Pioli.

8) Pioli is 'low-character' and filled his locker room with high character players.

9) The Chiefs success this year is a direct result of Pioli's influence, not the head coach.

10) Charlie Weis is leaving the Chiefs because Jamaal Charles is not the starter.

11) JWhit is writing for a national audience.

12) This article has 14 comments on the Fox Sports website.

the Talking Can
01-03-2011, 01:14 PM
hilarious.......

Whitlock is a great writer.....lol

that's about as low class and dishonest as a writer can be about two people who - judging by the venom - must have tagged team fatlock's mom.....

alnorth
01-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Awesome, this has been a spectacularly entertaining afternoon.

I don't agree with JW often, but I always checked out his articles. The Star just isn't worth reading anymore without Poz and Whitlock.

Extra Point
01-03-2011, 01:21 PM
A quick summary of the major points of the article and discussion for those coming in late:

1) Todd Haley is not a good NFL head coach regardless of the performance of the team on the field.

2) Per JWhit, Todd Haley is insecure, mean-spirited, emotional, irrational and an attention whore on the sidelines.

3) Todd Haley has the BigSexy seal of approval as a stand-up guy.

4) Scott Pioli is an arrogant SOB, according to "NFL people".

5) Scott Pioli took a group of local sports media figures out to dinner to cuss and yell at them.

6) Scott Pioli is a mastermind of media manipulation according to JWhit.

7) Jason Whitlock does not like Scott Pioli.

8) Pioli is 'low-character' and filled his locker room with high character players.

9) The Chiefs success this year is a direct result of Pioli's influence, not the head coach.

10) Charlie Weis is leaving the Chiefs because Jamaal Charles is not the starter.

11) JWhit is writing for a national audience.

12) This article has 14 comments on the Fox Sports website.

#12 please. I'm dining "light."

boogblaster
01-03-2011, 01:22 PM
whit .. has none .......

Pushead2
01-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Who?

Coogs
01-03-2011, 01:27 PM
I am curious to what drives Pioli's ego?

If he is very good at what he does, I am assuming his ego is driven by wanting to be the best GM in the NFL.

And if he is very good at what he does, then would he not also recognize that Haley is not an NFL level HC?

And if he does recognize that fact, should Pioli/KC be looking for a HC that is an NFL caliber HC?

There are a few out there.

:shrug:

Flachief58
01-03-2011, 01:28 PM
That's because nobody cares about the Broncos.

FYP

kysirsoze
01-03-2011, 01:29 PM
at a dinner in public? someone would have leaked it before now.....

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmvPaMU9rp14KgHC-aQRcwcoaLUvcC3HJSP2EUzbwcBiS2INBE1g

Royal Fanatic
01-03-2011, 01:30 PM

Yeah, Don Fortune was one badass bully when you called his radio show and screamed hysterically at him on that infamous day so many years ago.

I see how it is. It's just fine for you to make an ass out of yourself. We should forget about it because it happened a long time ago. But if Scott Pioli talks over Todd Haley in a restaurant, he's the devil, and you still bitch about it years after it happened.

Quit being such a hypocrite.

Royal Fanatic
01-03-2011, 01:35 PM
By the way, Whitlock: Adam Teicher is a much better sportswriter and radio personality that you'll ever be. I actually stop what I'm doing and listen when he is on the radio because he actually seems to know what the hell he is talking about.

Jack
01-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Truth be known, Haley and Pioli probably declined to give witless an interview, so this is his payback.

Their reason is they only give interviews to sports writers and journalists.

mlyonsd
01-03-2011, 01:43 PM
I am curious to what drives Pioli's ego?

If he is very good at what he does, I am assuming his ego is driven by wanting to be the best GM in the NFL.

And if he is very good at what he does, then would he not also recognize that Haley is not an NFL level HC?

And if he does recognize that fact, should Pioli/KC be looking for a HC that is a NFL caliber HC?

There are a few out there. :shrug:

I think the point is Pioli is a bully that wants a whipping boy as a head coach. Having a yes man strokes his ego more than actually winning.

Or some such nonsense.

DeezNutz
01-03-2011, 01:44 PM
jwhit, you want to expound upon what seems like an unbelievably unfair assessment of Haley's work in Arizona? Are you completely disregarding the comments that have come out from the players there?

Crickets?

stevieray
01-03-2011, 01:48 PM
I don’t care if the Chiefs win the Super Bowl this season.

all that needs to be said.

Norman Einstein
01-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Awesome, this has been a spectacularly entertaining afternoon.

I don't agree with JW often, but I always checked out his articles. The Star just isn't worth reading anymore without Poz and Whitlock.

I quit reading whitlock years ago, he is a hack that for some reason feels it's right to tear apart the team he is supposed to be writing about. he got all butt hurt over the jeff george pass and that just added to his fits of rage against the Chiefs.

He no longer writes for KC, he needs to find a new team to hate and just stay away from arrowhead.

Coogs
01-03-2011, 01:52 PM
I think the point is Pioli is a bully that wants a whipping boy as a head coach. Having a yes man strokes his ego more than actually winning.

Or some such nonsense.

I guess that is why I asked what drives Pioli's ego. If it is that, then I would tend to think that Pioli will go down in flames with Haley... if Haley is truely not an NFL HC.

And while I suspect Pioli would rather win a championship with Haley... say as opposed to Gruden... so the focus would be more on Pioli than Gruden, I also suspect that Pioli wants to win championships to show he indeed did have a role in the success taking place in Boston, and not just let BB get all the credit.

Interesting delima.

doomy3
01-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Haha, no one gets this board worked up like Whitlock.

Yeah, he's terrible at his job.

Norman Einstein
01-03-2011, 01:57 PM

The question you have to ask there dimmy1 is why does a hack, that left KC on a rail, care to write anything about the team?

Because he wasn't here when they won the division after he said they would be shit for years to come.

He's actually worse than you attempted to allude to. I wouldn't hire him as a freelance writer for the toilet paper rolls at your local HS game.

MOhillbilly
01-03-2011, 01:57 PM
JWHIT is tryin to steal our thunder boys.
We have a playoff game to get on board with and here comes pooh bear slappin the honey hive.

Just Passin' By
01-03-2011, 01:59 PM

I'm not sure his threads really end up any different than the drafturbators v. "true fans" threads.

Chiefaholic
01-03-2011, 02:00 PM
I'm not going to lie... I didn't waste my time reading beyond the first paragraph. But, I will add that Haley is a hell of a lot closer to being a legit NFL coach than Whitless is at being a top notch journalist.

mlyonsd
01-03-2011, 02:00 PM
I guess that is why I asked what drives Pioli's ego. If it is that, then I would tend to think that Pioli will go down in flames with Haley... if Haley is truely not an NFL HC.

And while I suspect Pioli would rather win a championship with Haley... say as opposed to Gruden... so the focus would be more on Pioli than Gruden, I also suspect that Pioli wants to win championships to show he indeed did have a role in the success taking place in Boston, and not just let BB get all the credit.

Interesting delima.

Yeah I never said it made sense.

Royal Fanatic
01-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Whitlock's "national audience" is apparently Chiefsplanet.

ChiefsandO'sfan
01-03-2011, 02:01 PM
fat boy is on nick wright show now

jAZ
01-03-2011, 02:02 PM

Terrible enough to lose the one KC paycheck he had, yet still troll a Chiefs board looking for atta-boys.

Zeke

I beg to differ. Phog.net holds a special place in their heart for Mr. Whitlock.

doomy3
JWHIT is tryin to steal our thunder boys.
We have a playoff game to get on board with and here comes pooh bear slappin the honey hive.

Yep. The most posted in thread on Monday of playoff week is about an article by Whitlock talking about a dinner LAST year.

He is a puppetmaster.

jAZ

Exactly.

jAZ
01-03-2011, 02:07 PM

Interesting delima.

No dilema. You pick the coach you think is the best one out there. That includes factoring in those who a ready to apply the system you believe is the best one out there long-term. Being like-minded is a big part of that.

Pioli clearly thought that Haley was the next big thing in coaching. The guy who would win a Super Bowl and keep his boss happy.

That's pretty much it.

Fritz88
01-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Jwet is butthurt but I do buy into the fact that Haley's success this year was mostly from Weis and Romeo. We'll see how he does next year, unless he hires another great OC.

HonestChieffan
01-03-2011, 02:08 PM
JW is yesterdays non event

Chiefaholic
01-03-2011, 02:10 PM

You and Whitlock have more in common than you think. You only get a response because your opinions are beyond retarded.

KChiefs1
01-03-2011, 02:10 PM
The Chiefs are my hometown team.

I heard him talking to Bill Simmons about moving out to the LA lifestyle & how he couldn't wait to get out of KC.

HemiEd
01-03-2011, 02:15 PM

If you go look at the recent history of teams going from last to first the following year they lose on average 3-4 more games.

The schedule difference, going from the NFC Worst, to the NFC North, will probably make at least two more losses. Hopefully the team improves enough to compensate, but they won't be drafting top 5 again.

I hope the rumors are true about Oakland firing Cable, that guy is building a tough team. We need Al Davis to assert himself here, and derail that team soon. There is nothing more distasteful than getting swept by the Raiders.

wazu
01-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Nick Wright is picking apart Whitlock's argument pretty well on the radio right now. Whitlock claiming that Pioli has created some kind of "unique" environment where it is easy to coach in.

DA_T_84
01-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Yeah, Nick is making him sound like an idiot.

Norman Einstein
01-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Nick Wright is picking apart Whitlock's argument pretty well on the radio right now. Whitlock claiming that Pioli has created some kind of "unique" environment where it is easy to coach in.

When his article is easily full of shit, he is trying his best to justify what he wrote.

Norman Einstein
01-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Yeah, Nick is making him sound like an idiot.

I don't think it's nick making him sound like an idiot.

DA_T_84
01-03-2011, 02:25 PM
I don't think it's nick making him sound like an idiot.

Honestly, you are right.

Nick is letting JWhit blather on and on. You can essentially hear Nick think its bull shit based on the tone in his voice.

FAX

I listened for a few minutes, then had to abandon the effort. It's almost Beavis and Butthead-esque in its inanity. I haven't heard this much baseless speculation since Grandma FAX locked herself in the chicken coop.

Sounds like two clueless imbeciles making a valiant effort to put the MO back in MORON.

FAX

Chiefaholic
Jwet is butthurt but I do buy into the fact that Haley's success this year was mostly from Weis and Romeo. We'll see how he does next year, unless he hires another great OC.

A great coach surrounds himself with quality assistants and coordinators. There isn't room to hire family (Marty Scottenheimer) or buddies (Dick Vermeil). You hire the best man available assuming the finances are available, which doesn't appear to be a problem with Clark.

JASONSAUTO
01-03-2011, 02:40 PM

lol well how did THAT work out for you?

why do i need to even ask? you are STILL crying about the outcome

KC_Connection
01-03-2011, 02:41 PM
I don't think Whitlock is as far off the truth here as a lot of people want to believe. The play calling hasn't been good this year and you could argue very easily that this offense has substantially underachieved all year (there is absolutely no reason for Thomas Jones to be getting as many carries as he does). It also isn't a good sign that Haley has driven off 2 offensive coordinators over the last two seasons, seemingly to feed his own controlling needs.

I admit, you have to give Haley some credit for the improvement this year (though a lot of it was simply the schedule and the additions of Romeo and Weis). But that shouldn't give him a free pass from criticism (that ridiculous benching of Cassel for a series in the Titans game, for example, was suspect and was barely mentioned in the media after the fact).

We'll find out next year, without Weis and against a much harder schedule, whether Whitlock is actually right about Haley and this team.

JASONSAUTO
01-03-2011, 02:43 PM

oh shit where is claythan with his "Bill Belichek is a fraud" article?

TEX
01-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Whitlock is an idiot. He has Taco John tendencies...

Awesome Aric
01-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Can anybody summarize this please?

Norman Einstein
01-03-2011, 02:50 PM
If we look at the title of the thread we see that Whitlock says that Haley is not an NFL head coach.

It's probably redundant, but I would bet after 16 games of being on the sideline, and taking the Chiefs into the playoffs there is some evidence that Haley is actually an NFL head coach.

That and I would bet if you check the NFL records he shows as the Head Coach as well as checking with the Chiefs Accounting department I bet he gets issued a paycheck on a very regular basis.

Whitlock is a mere image of a hack. An actual hack would be able to differentiate between the truth and the little voices in his head.

It must suck to be Whitlock, he hates KC, they hate him and he just keeps bringing the hate on.

Everyone .... Please ..... A moment of silence for Jason ......................

ROFL

Baby Lee
01-03-2011, 02:55 PM
If we look at the title of the thread we see that Whitlock says that Haley is not an NFL head coach.
Whitlock:Todd Haley is not an NFL head coach.
Chiefs are winning despite Haley

Keep shit straight, son.

Norman Einstein
01-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Keep shit straight, son.

It was, check the very last line of whitlocks article:

"I don’t care if the Chiefs win the Super Bowl this season. Todd Haley is not an NFL head coach." (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/kansas-city-chiefs-are-legit-but-coach-todd-haley-is-a-fraud-010311)

BigMeatballDave
LMAO the butthurt is strong with this one.

wazu
I listened for a few minutes, then had to abandon the effort. It's almost Beavis and Butthead-esque in its inanity. I haven't heard this much baseless speculation since Grandma FAX locked herself in the chicken coop.

Sounds like two clueless imbeciles making a valiant effort to put the MO back in MORON.

FAX

Eh, I find them entertaining. But maybe that's just an indictment of me. Great ending to the interview with Wright asking Whitlock "WTF?" for blocking him on twitter for nothing. Whitlock claimed Nick Wright was trying to steal Whitlock's schtick and hadn't been honest about it. They were running out of time as this bombshell got dropped. Good stuff.

ClevelandBronco
01-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Can anybody summarize this please?

Any time Jason Whitlock writes an article, ChiefsPlanet goes apeshit. That's pretty much the whole thing in a nutshell.

jAZ
01-03-2011, 03:04 PM
I don't think Whitlock is as far off the truth here as a lot of people want to believe. The play calling hasn't been good this year and you could argue very easily that this offense has substantially underachieved all year (there is absolutely no reason for Thomas Jones to be getting as many carries as he does). It also isn't a good sign that Haley has driven off 2 offensive coordinators over the last two seasons, seemingly to feed his own controlling needs.

I admit, you have to give Haley some credit for the improvement this year (though a lot of it was simply the schedule and the additions of Romeo and Weis). But that shouldn't give him a free pass from criticism (that ridiculous benching of Cassel for a series in the Titans game, for example, was suspect and was barely mentioned in the media after the fact).

We'll find out next year, without Weis and against a much harder schedule, whether Whitlock is actually right about Haley and this team.

That's the catch. We won't really know next year either way. If only it were that easy.

Even if Haley is a very good coach, it's entirely possible we win fewer games next year. If we go 8-8 next year, Whitlock will be back blaming Haley and Pioli about the sky collapsing on us.

gblowfish
01-03-2011, 03:07 PM
It sounded like Fatlock was over raising the same kind of thing over on Arrowhead Pride website earlier. Sounds like he was doing the major self-pimp job today to try and steal some thunder during playoff week. He's quite the self promoter, gotta hand it to him there.

FAX
01-03-2011, 03:12 PM

Haley is far from perfect ... as our record attests. However, it's far more common that people will fabricate reasons to dislike the guy than it is for people to fabricate reasons to support him.

Take the OC issue, for example; Gailey was a bad fit from the start. The only reason Haley tried to keep him on was in deference to Clark and Pioli. They (Haley & Chan) have very different concepts of offensive football. It just wasn't a good match. They tried to make it work, but to no avail. Haley didn't pick the guy, so he doesn't really count with me.

As for Weis, there's honestly no reason to believe that the story doesn't boil down to Weis' statement that it has everything to do with family and nothing to do with anybody or anything else. Weis' health isn't great and he wants to spend as much time as possible with his family. The soap opera guys won't like it, but there's probably no case to be made that Haley "drove him off".

Whittles stirs droppings. It's what he does. Unfortunately for the reading public, he now does it very poorly. These arguments that Haley is not an NFL HC, or that Pioli's ego drives all decisions, or the particularly bizarre claim that Pioli has somehow made this team "easy to coach" are unfounded, baseless, and frankly, kind of paranoid.

In a way, I feel sorry for Whittles. His yapping has become increasingly inane and senseless causing him to yap all the louder. At this point, I put the over/under until Fox fires him at about 8 months.

FAX

MarcBulger
01-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Funny whitlock saying somethng about someone else wanting to hear their own voice...I just heard that he left the star what's up with that...?

BigMeatballDave
01-03-2011, 03:34 PM

From Florio/PFT:Fuck off, troll.

BigMeatballDave
01-03-2011, 03:36 PM
http://whatsup.lixlink.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/shitstorm.jpg:LOL:

Swanman
01-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Haley is far from perfect ... as our record attests. However, it's far more common that people will fabricate reasons to dislike the guy than it is for people to fabricate reasons to support him.

Take the OC issue, for example; Gailey was a bad fit from the start. The only reason Haley tried to keep him on was in deference to Clark and Pioli. They (Haley & Chan) have very different concepts of offensive football. It just wasn't a good match. They tried to make it work, but to no avail. Haley didn't pick the guy, so he doesn't really count with me.

As for Weis, there's honestly no reason to believe that the story doesn't boil down to Weis' statement that it has everything to do with family and nothing to do with anybody or anything else. Weis' health isn't great and he wants to spend as much time as possible with his family. The soap opera guys won't like it, but there's probably no case to be made that Haley "drove him off".

Whittles stirs droppings. It's what he does. Unfortunately for the reading public, he now does it very poorly. These arguments that Haley is not an NFL HC, or that Pioli's ego drives all decisions, or the particularly bizarre claim that Pioli has somehow made this team "easy to coach" are unfounded, baseless, and frankly, kind of paranoid.

In a way, I feel sorry for Whittles. His yapping has become increasingly inane and senseless causing him to yap all the louder. At this point, I put the over/under until Fox fires him at about 8 months.

FAX

Weis is not the most likable guy in the world either, so if there was a personality clash as has been rumored, I wouldn't necessarily lay that all on Haley.

Baby Lee
01-03-2011, 03:47 PM
I thought about dropping this, but I want to make sure people are clear. Failures to 'make a case' are a real bugaboo of mine.

jwhit states 'Pioli pretends to be a nice guy, but he's secretly arrogant, perhaps one of the most arrogant people on earth, certainly one of the most arrogant I've seen.' [not brought up here, but I recall him saying something to the tune of 'everyone agrees with me at 1 Arrowhead Drive, down to the housekeeping staff']

So we say - can you prove your assertion.

And his reply was - 'look, I went to dinner with him and he was acting all arrogant, that's all the proof you need.'

That is what we like to call begging the question.

No different than saying 'Tom Cruise is gay, and I can prove it because I met him once and he was acting all gay and shit.' Unless you can prove he tried to put his cock in your [or another man's] ass, your 'proof' is nothing more than the basis for your OPINION.

Now, jwhit may have pegged Pioli as accurately as anyone ever has, but he's not made his case, unless you simply trust his word and his assessment of the psyche of others.

kstater
01-03-2011, 03:52 PM
I thought about dropping this, but I want to make sure people are clear. Failures to 'make a case' are a real bugaboo of mine.

jwhit states 'Pioli pretends to be a nice guy, but he's secretly arrogant, perhaps one of the most arrogant people on earth, certainly one of the most arrogant I've seen.' [not brought up here, but I recall him saying something to the tune of 'everyone agrees with me at 1 Arrowhead Drive, down to the housekeeping staff']

And his reply was - 'look, I went to dinner with him and he was acting all arrogant, that's all the proof you need.'

No different than saying 'Tom Cruise is gay, and I can prove it because I met him once and he was acting all gay and shit.' Unless you can prove he tried to put his cock in your [or another man's] ass, your 'proof' is nothing more than the basis for your OPINION.

Now, jwhit may have pegged Pioli as accurately as anyone ever has, but he's not made his case, unless you simply trust his word and his assessment of the psyche of others.

I'll add to this. I find it difficult believe that JWhit is capable of accurately assessing the demeanor of others while at the dinner table.

KC Tattoo
01-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Fatlock Those arn't real man boobs Witlock is a fraud, he had implants. Fake man boobs.

dirk digler
01-03-2011, 03:57 PM

Good post Baby Lee. I have considered emailing the 3 other people that were there to see if they could confirm that but I doubt they would respond.

raybec 4
01-03-2011, 03:57 PM
I'll add to this. I find it difficult believe that JWhit is capable of accurately assessing the demeanor of others while at the dinner table.

What if he had some snacks beforehand?