PDA

View Full Version : MU Blaine Gabbert to the NFL!

Pitt Gorilla
01-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Per the athletic department. Official announcement coming soon.

|Zach|
01-03-2011, 02:46 PM
All the best to him!

RockChalk
01-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Good. He sucks. Worst QB in the Big 12 /Ignorant portion of Mizzou fans

DeezNutz
01-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Best of luck to Gabbert. Sucks for Mizzou in '11.

(would be far from mad if he went at #24*)

|Zach|
01-03-2011, 02:48 PM
http://media.columbiatribune.com/img/photos/2010/09/25/092510_0159a_jb_MUFB_v_Miami_OH_tx620.jpg?5986744d0a375d1f79d3e6e9a73b2d24eab24f61

King_Chief_Fan
01-03-2011, 02:48 PM
he isn't NFL caliber. He will fail miserably

SPATCH
01-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Good for him. #2 QB on the big board. Smart move.

He's going to make us proud too.

KChiefs1
Good Luck Blaine.

It's all on James Franklin now.

siberian khatru
No surprise. Smart move.

siberian khatru
01-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Good Luck Blaine.

It's all on James Franklin now.

Supposedly, Lil' Gabbert looked better in bowl practices.

|Zach|
01-03-2011, 02:50 PM
The ceiling could be just as high with Franklin, but the certainty will be lower. We know what Gabbert brings to the table: a whole lot.

dirk digler
01-03-2011, 02:51 PM
That sucks he should have stayed for another year.

Tuckdaddy
01-03-2011, 02:51 PM
He may never succeed in the NFL but his arm straight his off the charts. Straight up cannon that most NFL QB's don't have.

Dave Lane
01-03-2011, 02:52 PM
http://media.columbiatribune.com/img/photos/2010/09/25/092510_0159a_jb_MUFB_v_Miami_OH_tx620.jpg?5986744d0a375d1f79d3e6e9a73b2d24eab24f61

He's really been working on his tan.

Chiefs Rool
01-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Good for him and the rest of the Big 12.

DJ's left nut
Probably makes sense. There's just no upside in him coming back, IMO. Not for him and not really for the program.

Franklin growing into the role at the same time as these young WRs is a pretty exciting prospect, similar to the Daniel/Maclin/Coffman era. Here's hoping the influx of WR talent gets us to use Franklin more wisely than we used Gabbert these last 2 years.

'Hamas' Jenkins
http://i45.tinypic.com/xnx02f.jpg

I think I'm gonna fucking vomit.

DeezNutz
The ceiling could be just as high with Franklin, but the certainty will be lower. We know what Gabbert brings to the table: a whole lot.

In a completely different way. We're hoping that Franklin can be Brad Smith II, which is a completely different offense from the one run by Daniel and Gabbert.

This will be a true test for the coaching staff.

|Zach|
Haha

|Zach|
01-03-2011, 02:54 PM
In a completely different way. We're hoping that Franklin can be Brad Smith II, which is a completely different offense from the one run by Daniel and Gabbert.

Absolutely.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-03-2011, 02:55 PM
I really like James Franklin, but Gabbert is the kind of QB you get maybe once every 30 years at a school like Mizzou.

Tuckdaddy
01-03-2011, 02:56 PM

Fucking stud! Rolling Chocolate Thunder!

doomy3
This isn't the deepest draft I've ever seen. I would have no problem taking him in the 20s if he's there when we're drafting.

DJ's left nut

I'm not.

I'm hoping he can be Chase Daniel II.

Franklin's just a black guy - that doesn't make him the athlete that Brad Smith was. Franklin's noted as a dual threat quarterback, but he's not a guy that's so athletic he could be a premier kick returner at the NFL level, i.e. Brad Smith. Apart from being our newest black QB, I really think the comparisons between him and Smith are unfair to both of them (Franklin's likely a much better passer than Smith).

Franklin's a guy that is going to be most effective using his legs to improvise and create on broken plays - much like Daniel was. Daniel wasn't a guy you designed running plays for, you just didn't worry about designing passing plays that left him a bit exposed.

I think we'll get back to that with Franklin in there. They'll open it up a little more because they know that Franklin can keep a play alive and get the ball downfied with that extra time a little better. And if not, by putting some guys in the pattern deep, they open up the interior for Franklin to pick up some cheap running yards.

I see Franklin being far close to Chase Daneil than either Gabbert or Brad Smith.

Donger
01-03-2011, 02:57 PM
I really like James Franklin, but Gabbert is the kind of QB you get maybe once every 30 years at a school like Mizzou.

He is one fine physical specimen.

SPATCH
This isn't the deepest draft I've ever seen. I would have no problem taking him in the 20s if he's there when we're drafting.

LAWLZ

won't be there

DeezNutz

Yeah, this is not a good thing for Mizzou football. It doesn't have to be the end of the world, for sure, because Franklin is a skilled player, but there is no way this can be spun as a positive.

Save that now I'll get to laugh at all the folks who argued that Gabbert was the problem in '10.

|Zach|
I'm not.

Franklin's just a black guy - that doesn't make him the athlete that Brad Smith was. Franklin's noted as a dual threat quarterback, but he's not a guy that's so athletic he could be a premier kick returner at the NFL level, i.e. Brad Smith. Apart from being our newest black QB, I really think the comparisons between him and Smith are unfair to both of them (Franklin's likely a much better passer than Smith).

Franklin's a guy that is going to be most effective using his legs to improvise and create on broken plays - much like Daniel was. Daniel wasn't a guy you designed running plays for, you just didn't worry about designing passing plays that left him a bit exposed.

I think we'll get back to that with Franklin in there. They'll open it up a little more because they know that Franklin can keep a play alive and get the ball downfied with that extra time a little better. And if not, by putting some guys in the pattern deep, they open up the interior for Franklin to pick up some cheap running yards.

I see Franklin being far close to Chase Daneil than either Gabbert or Brad Smith.
Could be.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Yeah, this is not a good thing for Mizzou football. It doesn't have to be the end of the world, for sure, because Franklin is a skilled player, but there is no way this can be spun as a positive.

Save that now I'll get to laugh at all the folks who argued that Gabbert was the problem in '10.

This team had a really good shot to play in a BCS game next year, with an outside shot at a NC.

This costs us, minimum, 2-3 wins next year.

RockChalk
01-03-2011, 02:59 PM

We here at KU are hoping for that as well. :p

Even though beating Missouri was about the only thing we could do back then.

DeezNutz
I'm not.

The fact that they're both black is of absolutely no consequence and had zero relevance to my post (just wanted to make this clear).

If we're rating passers:
Gabbert
Daniel
Franklin
Smith

While Daniel lacked arm strength, he was an accurate passer. I don't see Franklin as close to this category, yet.

DJ's left nut

Probably true, but we weren't using him any better than we would've been using Franklin.

Though it would've been intriguing to see if he could've gone all Manningish with the WRs he'd have had next season.

I just don't see us taking a great step back at QB, even though Gabbert's talent is otherwordly.

KChiefs1
01-03-2011, 03:00 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/xnx02f.jpg

I think I'm gonna ****ing vomit.

Tennessee fans probably the same way after Peyton Manning left the Volunteers too.

|Zach|
Probably true, but we weren't using him any better than we would've been using Franklin.

Though it would've been intriguing to see if he could've gone all Manningish with the WRs he'd have had next season.

I just don't see us taking a great step back at QB, even though Gabbert's talent is otherwordly.

I feel the same way.

And I don't see that as a knock on Gabbert.

I think when you look at this team as a whole they could absolutely keep going where they left off.

Pitt Gorilla
I just hope this doesn't hurt us with Dorial Green. It certainly doesn't help.

keg in kc
01-03-2011, 03:01 PM
Gabbert's going to be a monster if he lands somewhere with competent QB coaching. He could be much, much more in the NFL than he ever was in college (and I'm not saying he was bad in college by any stretch...)

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-03-2011, 03:01 PM
With all the talk about Harbaugh being a foregone conclusion, you'd think that Gabbert wouldn't want to risk being rated below both Luck (who you'd think would go if Harbaugh did) and Ryan Mallett.

DeezNutz
01-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Gabbert's going to be a monster if he lands somewhere with competent QB coaching. He could be much, much more in the NFL than he ever was in college (and I'm not saying he was bad in college by any stretch...)

Absolutely.

It will be interesting to see who selects him in the third round. LMAO.

DJ's left nut
The fact that they're both black is of absolutely no consequence and had zero relevance to my post (just wanted to make this clear).

If we're rating passers:
Gabbert
Daniel
Franklin
Smith

While Daniel lacked arm strength, he was an accurate passer. I don't see Franklin as close to this category, yet.

Perhaps, I'm speaking mostly to his potential. By the time Franklin develops a bit, I think you end up with something closer to this:

Gabbert

{gap}

Franklin
Daniel

{MFing HUGE damn gap}

Smith

I think Franklin has the chance to be the most productive college QB of any of them. He brings the quickness to the pocket that would be great in our offense as well as some arm strength that Daniel lacked. It will come down entirely to how well he learns this offense.

I'm not sure Gabbert ever really figured it out (or maybe Yost really is that stupid). But if Franklin can get to know the offense close to as well as Daniel knew it, I think he has a higher ceiling.

KChiefs1

Franklin probably fits the offense better than Gabbert.
I've been saying since Gabbert signed that he is a prototypical NFL QB not a spread QB. Franklin is more of a spread QB.

|Zach|
01-03-2011, 03:04 PM
I feel good about Pinkle's ability to plug in another player to not just be good but great.

doomy3
01-03-2011, 03:06 PM
With all the talk about Harbaugh being a foregone conclusion, you'd think that Gabbert wouldn't want to risk being rated below both Luck (who you'd think would go if Harbaugh did) and Ryan Mallett.

Yep. And if they both come out, I think Gabbert could definitely fall into the late teens or even the 20s.

DJ's left nut
Absolutely.

I'd be a sad panda if we passed on him in the 1st (ultimately, I would understand it though).

I'd be an angry panda if he made it to us and we passed on him in the 2nd.

As I've said before - he's no more raw than Josh Freeman was and he's even more physically gifted.

I think he'll be a good pro if a team is patient with him. I gotta be honest, I'd JIMP if we brought in Gabbert and McDaniels, but that's blasphemy around these parts.

'Hamas' Jenkins
Perhaps, I'm speaking mostly to his potential. By the time Franklin develops a bit, I think you end up with something closer to this:

Gabbert

{gap}

Franklin
Daniel

{MFing HUGE damn gap}

Smith

I think Franklin has the chance to be the most productive college QB of any of them. He brings the quickness to the pocket that would be great in our offense as well as some arm strength that Daniel lacked. It will come down entirely to how well he learns this offense.

I'm not sure Gabbert ever really figured it out (or maybe Yost really is that stupid). But if Franklin can get to know the offense close to as well as Daniel knew it, I think he has a higher ceiling.

Yost really is that stupid. Gabbert knew the offense inside and out.

DeezNutz
01-03-2011, 03:07 PM
I hope this is right. I do think that some of our memories of Smith are unfairly clouded by Pinkel's stupidity. Remember that Smith went from Heisman hopeful to complete fucking mess because Pinkel's (then) stupid ass tried to make him a pocket passer.

Then we embraced the spread.

I need to see a much, much greater sample size from Franklin before I can be a believer in his ability as a passer.

doomy3
01-03-2011, 03:07 PM
I'd be a sad panda if we passed on him in the 1st (ultimately, I would understand it though).

As I've said before - he's no more raw than Josh Freeman was and he's even more physically gifted.

I think he'll be a good pro if a team is patient with him. I gotta be honest, I'd JIMP if we brought in Gabbert and McDaniels, but that's blasphemy around these parts.

Me too.

Frazod
01-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the memories, Big Game Blaine. Oops, I mean, thanks for the memory.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Daniel was a spread QB
Franklin and Smith are spread option QBs
Gabbert is a franchise QB

DeezNutz
01-03-2011, 03:09 PM

I don't think he gets to #24. If he did, I'm sorry, I think it would be foolhardy to turn down such a gift.

We don't have a single backup QB, and our current #1 was not exactly consistent this year, despite counter-narratives.

Buehler445
01-03-2011, 03:10 PM

He could very well be a Josh Freeman type situation. In college, Freeman looked like a retard trying to fly the space shuttle. Now he looks really good. Gabbert looks way better than Freeman did, but it could be done.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rams Fan
01-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Best of luck to Gabbert. I just hope AZ, Seattle or SF doesn't pick him.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-03-2011, 03:13 PM
I'm holding out hope that Luck throws 600 touchdowns tonight, Harbaugh announces he's going to Michigan tomorrow, and Mallett absolutely blows up, so that Gabbert might reconsider before January 15.

eazyb81
01-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Joe Flacco 2.0.

Sucks for Mizzou fans, but the kid has everything you look for in a franchise QB.

Reaper16
01-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Please, Broncos, don't pick Blaine at #2. I would like you to continue to not have a great QB.

DeezNutz
Please, Broncos, don't pick Blaine at #2. I would like you to continue to not have a great QB.

I would hate having to hate him.

doomy3

I don't think there is any chance they'll draft a QB in the first round. They're rolling with Tebow.

|Zach|

I don't think there is any way in hell they make that pick. They really do feel excited about hitching their whole wagon to Tebow over there.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Best of luck to Gabbert, I just hope AZ, Seattle or SF doesn't pick him.

You have to figure Luck is going #1.

Obviously, Denver probably won't pick a QB over the top of Tebow (even though they should), but you could make a case that any one of these teams should draft him

2. Denver Broncos
3. Buffalo Bills
4. Cincinnati Bengals
5. Arizona Cardinals

7. San Francisco 49ers
8. Tennessee Titans

10. Washington Redskins

12. Minnesota Vikings

15. Miami Dolphins
16. Jacksonville Jaguars
17. Oakland Raiders

mohammedhali
Blaine Gabbert is a joke along with Missouri's entire football program.

-King-
I'm holding out hope that Luck throws 600 touchdowns tonight, Harbaugh announces he's going to Michigan tomorrow, and Mallett absolutely blows up, so that Gabbert might reconsider before January 15.

You don't see Harbaugh going to the pros?
Posted via Mobile Device

|Zach|
01-03-2011, 03:17 PM

Go easy Frazod.

doomy3
Wouldn't be surprised at all to see Kolb end up at one of those places. McNabb will end up one of those places. Matt Flynn very well could as well.

DeezNutz
I don't think there is any way in hell they make that pick. They really do feel excited about hitching their whole wagon to Tebow over there.

http://rlv.zcache.com/happy_panda_postcard-p239977895600832481trdg_400.jpg

Reaper16
01-03-2011, 03:19 PM
You look red in the <s>face</s> rep.

Pitt Gorilla
01-03-2011, 03:19 PM

Obviously, Denver probably won't pick a QB over the top of Tebow (even though they should), but you could make a case that any one of these teams should draft him

2. Denver Broncos
3. Buffalo Bills
4. Cincinnati Bengals
5. Arizona Cardinals

7. San Francisco 49ers
8. Tennessee Titans

10. Washington Redskins

12. Minnesota Vikings

15. Miami Dolphins
16. Jacksonville Jaguars
17. Oakland RaidersNo way he makes it past Minnesota.

Rams Fan
01-03-2011, 03:22 PM

2. Denver Broncos
3. Buffalo Bills
4. Cincinnati Bengals
5. Arizona Cardinals

7. San Francisco 49ers
8. Tennessee Titans

10. Washington Redskins

12. Minnesota Vikings

15. Miami Dolphins
16. Jacksonville Jaguars
17. Oakland Raiders

If Cincy and Buffalo keep their QBs(Palmer and Fitzpatrick), I doubt they draft a QB in the 1st. If Arizona likes Skelton that much, I could see them bringing in a QB like McNabb to compete and mentor him, same thing with the Vikings and Webb. I doubt the Titans draft a QB, their owner really likes Young and Fisher might leave because of that. Where do you think Newton goes?

eazyb81
01-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Power Mizzou saying Aldon Smith is likely to go pro too.

Dammit, now i'm pissed.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-03-2011, 03:23 PM
If you are Buffalo, he's got the size and arm strength to survive in that climate. You take him at 3

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-03-2011, 03:23 PM

Dammit, now i'm pissed.

We couldn't have slipped a few K to the advisory committee to give them 4th round grades?

Rams Fan
01-03-2011, 03:24 PM

Dammit, now i'm pissed.

Shit....

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-03-2011, 03:24 PM
This team is fucked for next year. Fucked.

Buehler445
01-03-2011, 03:25 PM
If Cincy and Buffalo keep their QBs(Palmer and Fitzpatrick), I doubt they draft a QB in the 1st. If Arizona likes Skelton that much, I could see them bringing in a QB like McNabb to compete and mentor him, same thing with the Vikings and Webb. I doubt the Titans draft a QB, their owner really likes Young and Fisher might leave because of that. Where do you think Newton goes?

To WR
Posted via Mobile Device

eazyb81
01-03-2011, 03:25 PM
If you are Buffalo, he's got the size and arm strength to survive in that climate. You take him at 3

Yep. No brainer to me.

When you are rolling out turds like Fitzpatrick and Edwards despite having some solid skill players, you can't afford to pass on a big, strong-armed franchise QB like Gabbert.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Mike Shanahan is enough of a nutjob to think that he could work "magic" with Cam Newton as his QB.

DeezNutz
01-03-2011, 03:26 PM
I'm over here baby crying.

DJ's left nut
01-03-2011, 03:27 PM

2. Denver Broncos
3. Buffalo Bills
4. Cincinnati Bengals
5. Arizona Cardinals

7. San Francisco 49ers
8. Tennessee Titans

10. Washington Redskins

12. Minnesota Vikings

15. Miami Dolphins
16. Jacksonville Jaguars
17. Oakland Raiders

Yeesh, that is a long, ugly list.

I honsetly think Chan likes Fitzpatrick, so I think they give him another year in Buffalo (and not risk throwing so much money at a QB under the present pay scale).

I just don't see the Bengals moving on without Palmer. I think they probably should, but his solid games later in the year may have them thinking it was a team unity issue rather than a QB issue.

Arizona - I think they might prefer Mallet. He's a little sexier a pick.

San Fran - Similar story. And do you think they'll want to roll the dice on another young QB so soon after the last one imploded? I almost think they'll go after McNabb to try to get a veteran presence in there.

Titans - I thnk VY stays and Fisher goes. Love him or hate him, the bottom line is that the Titans were a dangerous team this season with Young at QB and fell to shit when he went down. He's not pretty, but his teams win ballgames.

Skins -- Locker seems more like a Shanny guy than Gabbert does. If they go QB, I could see them going after the guy that's better on the move. Gabbert, for all he does well, absolutely sucks at throwing on the move.

Vikings -- I think they'll look for a veteran QB as well. I suspect they'll also chose McNabb for some strange reasons.

Dolphins -- Seems a bit quick to give up on Henne after his strong finish to '09, but I could see it.

Jags -- This never EVER makes sense to me. Seriously, Gerrard is a decent QB. With the problems that squad has, I'd look elsewhere first where I them.

Raiders -- Oh c'mon, you and I both know that this pick has Cam Newton written all over it.

It didn't occur to me how many teams needed a QB. Yeah, he could slide to us at 24, but when you peruse through that list, a lot of 'ifs' have to happen. He probably doesn't make it that far.

Pitt Gorilla
01-03-2011, 03:27 PM
This team is ****ed for next year. ****ed.Mizzou will be very good. The DE position will be stacked, even without Aldon. Richardson and Dom in the middle will help as well.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-03-2011, 03:28 PM
Yep. No brainer to me.

When you are rolling out turds like Fitzpatrick and Edwards despite having some solid skill players, you can't afford to pass on a big, strong-armed franchise QB like Gabbert.

Buffalo is in a great spot, because they are drafting high in a draft that has QBs that fit their climate needs. Not everyone can go there and play well. I'm not a big Mallett fan (and he may plummet due to rumors about booger sugar, among other things), but both he and Gabbert are ideally suited for that climate.

All I know is that when Madden '12 comes out, I'll make sure that Gabbert ends up on my fantasy redraft of the Chiefs.

Rams Fan
01-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Yeesh, that is a long, ugly list.

I honsetly think Chan likes Fitzgerald, so I think they give him another year in Buffalo (and not risk throwing so much money at a QB under the present pay scale).

I just don't see the Bengals moving on without Palmer. I think they probably should, but his solid games later in the year may have them thinking it was a team unity issue rather than a QB issue.

Arizona - I think they might prefer Mallet. He's a little sexier a pick.

San Fran - Similar story. And do you think they'll want to roll the dice on another young QB so soon after the last one imploded? I almost think they'll go after McNabb to try to get a veteran presence in there.

Titans - I thnk VY stays and Fisher goes. Love him or hate him, the bottom line is that the Titans were a dangerous team this season with Young at QB and fell to shit when he went down. He's not pretty, but his teams win ballgames.

Skins -- Locker seems more like a Shanny guy than Gabbert does. If they go QB, I could see them going after the guy that's better on the move. Gabbert, for all he does well, absolutely sucks at throwing on the move.

Vikings -- I think they'll look for a veteran QB as well. I suspect they'll also chose McNabb for some strange reasons.

Dolphins -- Seems a bit quick to give up on Henne after his strong finish to '09, but I could see it.

Jags -- This never EVER makes sense to me. Seriously, Gerrard is a decent QB. With the problems that squad has, I'd look elsewhere first where I them.

Raiders -- Oh c'mon, you and I both know that this pick has Cam Newton written all over it.

It didn't occur to me how many teams needed a QB. Yeah, he could slide to us at 24, but when you peruse through that list, a lot of 'ifs' have to happen. He probably doesn't make it that far.

This is basically what I think. I disagree with you about AZ, though. They might bring in a vet at QB(they wanted Bulger real bad last year) to compete and mentor Skelton(if they like him that much).

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-03-2011, 03:29 PM
The pay scale isn't going to be there for this draft. The new league year starts March 1, that means that the incoming class of n00bs is going to get NBA-ified on their rookie wages.

eazyb81
01-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Mizzou will be very good. The DE position will be stacked, even without Aldon. Richardson and Dom in the middle will help as well.

But we have a big question mark at QB, the most important position on the field.

And we have some nice young skill players in Lucas and Hunt that may be under-utilized with Franklin at the helm.

I'm also not confident Yost will adjust the gameplan to fit Franklin's skillset (spread option, not Air Coryell).

DJ's left nut
01-03-2011, 03:31 PM

Dammit, now i'm pissed.

Ouch.

And odd.

He disappeared after his injury. Some of that could be because of his injury but there's got to be some concern that he just got dominated in conference play when the competition improved. With that first step nowhere to be seen over the last 6 weeks, he's not going to be of any use to a 3-4 team and he doesn't have the bulk for a 4-3 team yet.

He's just a pretty massive risk for a rush-backer with a leg injury.

If I were him, I'd have definitely stayed in another season. He just doesn't seem to gain much by leaving early as I really don't see him going in the 1st.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-03-2011, 03:31 PM
I went from thinking that we could go into Norman and beat OU if we played a good game to wondering if we'll get the 2008 BXII title game treatment.

That Texas game looks a shite sight worse too.

Buehler445
01-03-2011, 03:36 PM
The pay scale isn't going to be there for this draft. The new league year starts March 1, that means that the incoming class of n00bs is going to get NBA-ified on their rookie wages.

Wait, what? Did the NFL do something wwith the CBA?
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefsCountry
01-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Buffalo looks like Gabberts new home IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Wait, what? Did the NFL do something wwith the CBA?
Posted via Mobile Device

No, but those rookie contracts won't be negotiated until something is done, and that will be one of the first orders of business in the new CBA: 18 games and a fixed rookie scale.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm hoping he goes to an NFC team with a solid core in place so that he can succeed and I can root for him.

Minnesota would be an ideal landing spot for him: Good TE, all-world RB, and multiple threats at WR.

It's also one of the reasons while they'll probably take a vet.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I love Gabbert like an only son, but I'd bet that he gets dinged for the offense and his pocket presence to the point where teams might be skittish about drafting him that high when other "sure things" (which aren't sure) are around.

Billay2
01-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Blaine is a cool guy.

My encounter with him at a club was so weird though.

ChiefsCountry
01-03-2011, 04:01 PM
I love Gabbert like an only son, but I'd bet that he gets dinged for the offense and his pocket presence to the point where teams might be skittish about drafting him that high when other "sure things" (which aren't sure) are around.

Look who the coach is in Buffalo. Gailey is one guy who seems to like the spread type QB.
Posted via Mobile Device

KChiefs1
01-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Teams that need QB's:
2. Denver Broncos
3. Buffalo Bills
4. Cincinnati Bengals
5. Arizona Cardinals
7. San Francisco 49ers
8. Tennessee Titans
10. Washington Redskins
12. Minnesota Vikings
15. Miami Dolphins
16. Jacksonville Jaguars
17. Oakland Raiders

I think the most obvious teams that will be looking at Gabbert are:
Arizona, San Francisco, Washington, Minnesota & Oakland.

My fear as a MU/Chiefs fan is that Al Davis falls in love with his arm & speed.

beer bacon
01-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Mizzou will be very good. The DE position will be stacked, even without Aldon. Richardson and Dom in the middle will help as well.

Sheldon might actually get some time at DE if Aldon leaves. He is very quick.

Demonpenz
01-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Hey it's franklin.....comin to our house

Demonpenz
01-03-2011, 04:33 PM
d

Mr. Laz
01-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Might as well ... the Uber Quarterback class of this year's draft has turn to shit.

Luck is the only top guy(if he even comes out)
Mallet is meh
Locker will be lucky not to fall into the 2nd round

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-03-2011, 04:53 PM
But...but...we've got Tyler Plankton!

KChiefs1
01-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Don't freak out but I've got sources on campus telling me Aldon Smith is also going to the NFL.

LiveSteam
01-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Absolutely.

Patriots want him if he comes out. Is a rumor I heard anyways

Mizzou_8541
01-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Good luck to Blaine. I enjoyed his years at Mizzou and wish him best in the NFL.

Go Mizzou!

Gonzo
01-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Supposedly, Lil' Gabbert looked better in bowl practices.

What? I thought he played for NU...

Oh wait, nevermind.

:D
Posted via Mobile Device

POND_OF_RED
01-03-2011, 06:33 PM
I just hope this doesn't hurt us with Dorial Green. It certainly doesn't help.

Can you explain? Green would have never had the oppurtunity to play with Blaine anyways. I feel like getting Franklin a year under his belt in case Green does come would be for the better wouldn't it? Obviously I would have much rather had Blaine next year but I feel like if we get Green than we would have been throwing him in with an untested QB that might not have been able to utilize his talents.

Pitt Gorilla
01-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Can you explain? Green would have never had the oppurtunity to play with Blaine anyways. I feel like getting Franklin a year under his belt in case Green does come would be for the better wouldn't it? Obviously I would have much rather had Blaine next year but I feel like if we get Green than we would have been throwing him in with an untested QB that might not have been able to utilize his talents.You're right; I was thinking Green would be on campus in the fall. Good catch.

HonestChieffan
01-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Unpopular as it may be, he aint gonna be an NFL QB.

KChiefs1
01-03-2011, 07:27 PM
New Era Scoutings Top 300

<TABLE id=wp-table-reloaded-id-1-no-1 class="wp-table-reloaded wp-table-reloaded-id-1"><THEAD><TR class="row-1 odd"><TH style="WIDTH: 30px" class=column-1>OVR</TH><TH style="WIDTH: 68px" class=column-2>Pos. Rank</TH><TH style="WIDTH: 127px" class=column-3>Player</TH><TH style="WIDTH: 32px" class=column-4>Pos.</TH><TH style="WIDTH: 149px" class=column-5>School</TH><TH style="WIDTH: 27px" class=column-6>Ht.</TH><TH style="WIDTH: 23px" class=column-7>Wt.</TH><TH style="WIDTH: 55px" class=column-8>40 Time</TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY class=row-hover><TR class="row-2 even"><TD class=column-1>1</TD><TD class=column-2>1</TD><TD class=column-3>Andrew Luck</TD><TD class=column-4>QB</TD><TD class=column-5>Stanford</TD><TD class=column-6>6-4</TD><TD class=column-7>235</TD><TD class=column-8>4.73</TD></TR><TR class="row-3 odd"><TD class=column-1>2</TD><TD class=column-2>1</TD><TD class=column-3>Patrick Peterson</TD><TD class=column-4>CB</TD><TD class=column-5>LSU</TD><TD class=column-6>6-1</TD><TD class=column-7>222</TD><TD class=column-8>4.42</TD></TR><TR class="row-4 even"><TD class=column-1>3</TD><TD class=column-2>1</TD><TD class=column-3>Da'Quan Bowers</TD><TD class=column-4>DE</TD><TD class=column-5>Clemson</TD><TD class=column-6>6-4</TD><TD class=column-7>275</TD><TD class=column-8>4.64</TD></TR><TR class="row-5 odd"><TD class=column-1>4</TD><TD class=column-2>2</TD><TD class=column-3>Prince Amukamara</TD><TD class=column-4>CB</TD><TD class=column-5>Nebraska</TD><TD class=column-6>6-0</TD><TD class=column-7>205</TD><TD class=column-8>4.49</TD></TR><TR class="row-6 even"><TD class=column-1>5</TD><TD class=column-2>1</TD><TD class=column-3>Nick Fairley</TD><TD class=column-4>DT</TD><TD class=column-5>Auburn</TD><TD class=column-6>6-4</TD><TD class=column-7>298</TD><TD class=column-8>4.92</TD></TR><TR class="row-7 odd"><TD class=column-1>6</TD><TD class=column-2>2</TD><TD class=column-3>Marcell Dareus</TD><TD class=column-4>DT</TD><TD class=column-5>Alabama</TD><TD class=column-6>6-3</TD><TD class=column-7>309</TD><TD class=column-8>4.95</TD></TR><TR class="row-8 even"><TD class=column-1>7</TD><TD class=column-2>1</TD><TD class=column-3>A.J. Green</TD><TD class=column-4>WR</TD><TD class=column-5>Georgia</TD><TD class=column-6>6-4</TD><TD class=column-7>212</TD><TD class=column-8>4.49</TD></TR><TR class="row-9 odd"><TD class=column-1>8</TD><TD class=column-2>2</TD><TD class=column-3>Adrian Clayborn</TD><TD class=column-4>DE</TD><TD class=column-5>Iowa</TD><TD class=column-6>6-3</TD><TD class=column-7>286</TD><TD class=column-8>4.79</TD></TR><TR class="row-10 even"><TD class=column-1>9</TD><TD class=column-2>3</TD><TD class=column-3>Robert Quinn</TD><TD class=column-4>DE</TD><TD class=column-5>North Carolina</TD><TD class=column-6>6-5</TD><TD class=column-7>268</TD><TD class=column-8>4.64</TD></TR><TR class="row-11 odd"><TD class=column-1>10</TD><TD class=column-2>2</TD><TD class=column-3>Julio Jones</TD><TD class=column-4>WR</TD><TD class=column-5>Alabama</TD><TD class=column-6>6-4</TD><TD class=column-7>220</TD><TD class=column-8>4.49</TD></TR><TR class="row-12 even"><TD class=column-1>11</TD><TD class=column-2>1</TD><TD class=column-3>Tyron Smith</TD><TD class=column-4>OT</TD><TD class=column-5>Southern California</TD><TD class=column-6>6-5</TD><TD class=column-7>285</TD><TD class=column-8>5.08</TD></TR><TR class="row-13 odd"><TD class=column-1>12</TD><TD class=column-2>2</TD><TD class=column-3>Ryan Mallett</TD><TD class=column-4>QB</TD><TD class=column-5>Arkansas</TD><TD class=column-6>6-6</TD><TD class=column-7>238</TD><TD class=column-8>5.12</TD></TR><TR class="row-14 even"><TD class=column-1>13</TD><TD class=column-2>2</TD><TD class=column-3>Derek Sherrod</TD><TD class=column-4>OT</TD><TD class=column-5>Mississippi State</TD><TD class=column-6>6-5</TD><TD class=column-7>305</TD><TD class=column-8>5.22</TD></TR><TR class="row-15 odd"><TD class=column-1>14</TD><TD class=column-2>3</TD><TD class=column-3>Blaine Gabbert</TD><TD class=column-4>QB</TD><TD class=column-5>Missouri</TD><TD class=column-6>6-5</TD><TD class=column-7>235</TD><TD class=column-8>4.62</TD></TR><TR class="row-16 even"><TD class=column-1>15</TD><TD class=column-2>1</TD><TD class=column-3>Von Miller</TD><TD class=column-4>OLB</TD><TD class=column-5>Texas A&M</TD><TD class=column-6>6-2</TD><TD class=column-7>243</TD><TD class=column-8>4.56</TD></TR><TR class="row-17 odd"><TD class=column-1>16</TD><TD class=column-2>3</TD><TD class=column-3>Nate Potter</TD><TD class=column-4>OT</TD><TD class=column-5>Boise State</TD><TD class=column-6>6-6</TD><TD class=column-7>295</TD><TD class=column-8>5.07</TD></TR><TR class="row-18 even"><TD class=column-1>17</TD><TD class=column-2>3</TD><TD class=column-3>Brandon Harris</TD><TD class=column-4>CB</TD><TD class=column-5>Miami (Fla.)</TD><TD class=column-6>5-11</TD><TD class=column-7>195</TD><TD class=column-8>4.45</TD></TR><TR class="row-19 odd"><TD class=column-1>18</TD><TD class=column-2>4</TD><TD class=column-3>Gabe Carimi</TD><TD class=column-4>OT</TD><TD class=column-5>Wisconsin</TD><TD class=column-6>6-7</TD><TD class=column-7>327</TD><TD class=column-8>5.12</TD></TR><TR class="row-20 even"><TD class=column-1>19</TD><TD class=column-2>4</TD><TD class=column-3>Jake Locker</TD><TD class=column-4>QB</TD><TD class=column-5>Washington</TD><TD class=column-6>6-3</TD><TD class=column-7>230</TD><TD class=column-8>4.53</TD></TR><TR class="row-21 odd"><TD class=column-1>20</TD><TD class=column-2>1</TD><TD class=column-3>Mark Ingram</TD><TD class=column-4>RB</TD><TD class=column-5>Alabama</TD><TD class=column-6>5-10</TD><TD class=column-7>215</TD><TD class=column-8>4.48</TD></TR><TR class="row-22 even"><TD class=column-1>21</TD><TD class=column-2>5</TD><TD class=column-3>Cam Newton</TD><TD class=column-4>QB</TD><TD class=column-5>Auburn</TD><TD class=column-6>6-6</TD><TD class=column-7>250</TD><TD class=column-8>4.52</TD></TR><TR class="row-23 odd"><TD class=column-1>22</TD><TD class=column-2>4</TD><TD class=column-3>Janoris Jenkins</TD><TD class=column-4>CB</TD><TD class=column-5>Florida</TD><TD class=column-6>5-11</TD><TD class=column-7>186</TD><TD class=column-8>4.52</TD></TR><TR class="row-24 even"><TD class=column-1>23</TD><TD class=column-2>2</TD><TD class=column-3>Akeem Ayers</TD><TD class=column-4>OLB</TD><TD class=column-5>UCLA</TD><TD class=column-6>6-4</TD><TD class=column-7>255</TD><TD class=column-8>4.68</TD></TR><TR class="row-25 odd"><TD class=column-1>24</TD><TD class=column-2>3</TD><TD class=column-3>Michael Floyd</TD><TD class=column-4>WR</TD><TD class=column-5>Notre Dame</TD><TD class=column-6>6-3</TD><TD class=column-7>228</TD><TD class=column-8>4.52</TD></TR><TR class="row-26 even"><TD class=column-1>25</TD><TD class=column-2>4</TD><TD class=column-3>Ryan Kerrigan</TD><TD class=column-4>DE</TD><TD class=column-5>Purdue</TD><TD class=column-6>6-4</TD><TD class=column-7>263</TD><TD class=column-8>4.82</TD></TR><TR class="row-27 odd"><TD class=column-1>26</TD><TD class=column-2>5</TD><TD class=column-3>Matt Reynolds</TD><TD class=column-4>OT</TD><TD class=column-5>Brigham Young</TD><TD class=column-6>6-6</TD><TD class=column-7>322</TD><TD class=column-8>5.14</TD></TR><TR class="row-28 even"><TD class=column-1>27</TD><TD class=column-2>5</TD><TD class=column-3>Brandon Burton</TD><TD class=column-4>CB</TD><TD class=column-5>Utah</TD><TD class=column-6>6-0</TD><TD class=column-7>185</TD><TD class=column-8>4.49</TD></TR><TR class="row-29 odd"><TD class=column-1>28</TD><TD class=column-2>5</TD><TD class=column-3>Cameron Jordan</TD><TD class=column-4>DE</TD><TD class=column-5>California</TD><TD class=column-6>6-4</TD><TD class=column-7>285</TD><TD class=column-8>4.85</TD></TR><TR class="row-30 even"><TD class=column-1>29</TD><TD class=column-2>6</TD><TD class=column-3>Anthony Castonzo</TD><TD class=column-4>OT</TD><TD class=column-5>Boston College</TD><TD class=column-6>6-7</TD><TD class=column-7>308</TD><TD class=column-8>5.06</TD></TR><TR class="row-31 odd"><TD class=column-1>30</TD><TD class=column-2>1</TD><TD class=column-3>Rahim Moore</TD><TD class=column-4>FS</TD><TD class=column-5>UCLA</TD><TD class=column-6>6-1</TD><TD class=column-7>196</TD><TD class=column-8>4.50</TD></TR><TR class="row-32 even"><TD class=column-1>31</TD><TD class=column-2>6</TD><TD class=column-3>J.J. Watt</TD><TD class=column-4>DE</TD><TD class=column-5>Wisconsin</TD><TD class=column-6>6-6</TD><TD class=column-7>292</TD><TD class=column-8>4.87</TD></TR><TR class="row-33 odd"><TD class=column-1>32</TD><TD class=column-2>4</TD><TD class=column-3>Ryan Broyles</TD><TD class=column-4>WR</TD><TD class=column-5>Oklahoma</TD><TD class=column-6>5-11</TD><TD class=column-7>185</TD><TD class=column-8>4.54</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

pkane
01-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Unpopular as it may be, he aint gonna be an NFL QB.

Really? Whats he going to be?

Are you saying he will have to play a different position or he will suck at QB at the NFL level?

I for one think he will transition well to the NFL game, much like Freeman has.

Sure-Oz
01-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Aldon is leaving too? FML!!!

That line would've been sick next year, huge blow

duncan_idaho
01-03-2011, 09:04 PM
A couple of thoughts...

Blaine Gabbert will be a better NFL quarterback in terms of production than he was in college. This is a great decision for him, IMO. Even IF Mallett comes out, Gabbert will crush him in terms of athleticism, interviews, and overall IQ. Gabbert is a far superior athlete (Mallett is a Bledsoe-esque statue). He'll crush the Wonderlic.

Can't wait for Mallett's test results on that... or to hear what teams think of him after hearing him wig it out.

On Franklin... he'll have to fight off the younger Gabbert. Both are more typical spread QBs than Blaine, so that will be interesting. I think Franklin-Smith are kind of like Welker-Moe comparisons. Really not that apt, and only one main similarity... Franklin is a quicker runner than Gabbert, but he is nowhere close to Brad Smith in terms of top-end speed or agility. I think he's a better runner than Daniel and Blaine and a better thrower than Brad. Zac Robinson, former oSu QB, probably is a better comparison.

Tyler Gabbert is the closest thing to Chase Daniel on the roster.

If Gabbert goes in the top 10 (or five, which is a possibility whether Luck comes out or stays), that can only help with guys like Gunner Kiel and Maty Mauk. Land one of those 2012 QBs, and the chances of nabbing Dorial Green improve.

Finally, on next year... losing Gabbert and Smith doesn't mean the season is in the dumps.

Missouri's depth at DE will really blunt the loss of Smith (especially if Kony Ealy bursts on to the scene as expected). And let's see what happens during spring practice before we say the QB situation is going to be a disaster.

Franklin walks into about as good a situation as possible for a first-time starting QB. Strong offensive line, experienced RB stable, experienced WRs corps (with some explosive newcomers like Jimmie Hunt to factor in).

It honestly wouldn't surprise me to the see the offense be a little more effective with Franklin running the show. For all of Gabbert's strengths, his tendency to take crucial sacks (for HUGE losses), his lack of efficiency on third down, and his lack of accuracy on deep balls also created some issues.

notorious
01-03-2011, 10:05 PM
http://www.inside99.net/2003/access/teams/graphics/derek_anderson_sm.jpg

?

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-04-2011, 09:01 AM
A couple of thoughts...

Blaine Gabbert will be a better NFL quarterback in terms of production than he was in college. This is a great decision for him, IMO. Even IF Mallett comes out, Gabbert will crush him in terms of athleticism, interviews, and overall IQ. Gabbert is a far superior athlete (Mallett is a Bledsoe-esque statue). He'll crush the Wonderlic.

Can't wait for Mallett's test results on that... or to hear what teams think of him after hearing him wig it out.

On Franklin... he'll have to fight off the younger Gabbert. Both are more typical spread QBs than Blaine, so that will be interesting. I think Franklin-Smith are kind of like Welker-Moe comparisons. Really not that apt, and only one main similarity... Franklin is a quicker runner than Gabbert, but he is nowhere close to Brad Smith in terms of top-end speed or agility. I think he's a better runner than Daniel and Blaine and a better thrower than Brad. Zac Robinson, former oSu QB, probably is a better comparison.

Tyler Gabbert is the closest thing to Chase Daniel on the roster.

If Gabbert goes in the top 10 (or five, which is a possibility whether Luck comes out or stays), that can only help with guys like Gunner Kiel and Maty Mauk. Land one of those 2012 QBs, and the chances of nabbing Dorial Green improve.

Finally, on next year... losing Gabbert and Smith doesn't mean the season is in the dumps.

Missouri's depth at DE will really blunt the loss of Smith (especially if Kony Ealy bursts on to the scene as expected). And let's see what happens during spring practice before we say the QB situation is going to be a disaster.

Franklin walks into about as good a situation as possible for a first-time starting QB. Strong offensive line, experienced RB stable, experienced WRs corps (with some explosive newcomers like Jimmie Hunt to factor in).

It honestly wouldn't surprise me to the see the offense be a little more effective with Franklin running the show. For all of Gabbert's strengths, his tendency to take crucial sacks (for HUGE losses), his lack of efficiency on third down, and his lack of accuracy on deep balls also created some issues.

I mostly agree with this, but I do have some points of contention:

1) For as good as Madison, Sam, and Jacquies were this season (and for as promising as Kony Ealy has supposedly looked), Aldon was a guy you could expect to beat NFL-caliber tackles. I don't think that any of them, save for Ealy, have the athletic ability to do that. Look at the Iowa game, for example. That's a really good college line, and they all were completely absent (save for Madison's PF), whereas Aldon was constantly getting into the backfield and disrupting plays.

Losing Aldon is the difference between having the best DL in the nation and arguably the best in the conference. He was the most important player, and the best, on that defense. You can't underscore how important it is to lose a pass rusher like that. I'd compare it to the New York Giants losing a prime Strahan. For as good as Tuck, Osi, Kiwi, et. al are, there's not necessarily the one absolute terror off the line that can change a game at any point.

2) Franklin is a better fit for Yost's retard version of the spread, but keep in mind that Gabbert's talents allowed for him to make throws that simply could not be done by any QB we've ever had. Those 3rd and forevers that we were picking up in the bowl game can only be done if you have a rocket arm that can place the ball into super tight windows. That's a big loss.

3) You can't underestimate the importance of losing a Sr. QB who has 2 years of starting, and another year of intermittent playing time, when you are going into Norman, and you have to face Texas. Sr. QBs often make a huge leap their final year, even if they were already pretty good: McCoy, Harrell, and others.

4) Losing Gabbert "fucks" us from the perspective of being a darkhorse NC contender. Again, I really like James Franklin, but when you lose your two best players at the two most important positions on the field when you were counting on their return, it can't help but blunt expectations.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Getting Dorial Green-Beckham has always been a longshot, but you'd think that if we beat OU in Norman that might go a long way towards keeping him in state, especially since they are reportedly our main competition for him at this point.

I still expect USC, Auburn, or some other dirty ass slunt of a program to back up the Brinks truck to him, though.

duncan_idaho
01-04-2011, 09:35 AM
I mostly agree with this, but I do have some points of contention:

1) For as good as Madison, Sam, and Jacquies were this season (and for as promising as Kony Ealy has supposedly looked), Aldon was a guy you could expect to beat NFL-caliber tackles. I don't think that any of them, save for Ealy, have the athletic ability to do that. Look at the Iowa game, for example. That's a really good college line, and they all were completely absent (save for Madison's PF), whereas Aldon was constantly getting into the backfield and disrupting plays.

Losing Aldon is the difference between having the best DL in the nation and arguably the best in the conference. He was the most important player, and the best, on that defense. You can't underscore how important it is to lose a pass rusher like that. I'd compare it to the New York Giants losing a prime Strahan. For as good as Tuck, Osi, Kiwi, et. al are, there's not necessarily the one absolute terror off the line that can change a game at any point.

2) Franklin is a better fit for Yost's retard version of the spread, but keep in mind that Gabbert's talents allowed for him to make throws that simply could not be done by any QB we've ever had. Those 3rd and forevers that we were picking up in the bowl game can only be done if you have a rocket arm that can place the ball into super tight windows. That's a big loss.

3) You can't underestimate the importance of losing a Sr. QB who has 2 years of starting, and another year of intermittent playing time, when you are going into Norman, and you have to face Texas. Sr. QBs often make a huge leap their final year, even if they were already pretty good: McCoy, Harrell, and others.

4) Losing Gabbert "****s" us from the perspective of being a darkhorse NC contender. Again, I really like James Franklin, but when you lose your two best players at the two most important positions on the field when you were counting on their return, it can't help but blunt expectations.

I thought Aldon pretty much disappeared in the bowl game, honestly. As well as the entire defensive line. Part of that was because Stanzi only threw the ball 21 times - and a lot of those off of play-action, part of it was because Iowa wasn't in many predictable passing situations.

I'm not saying he wouldn't be missed, because obviously he will. Just that Missouri still will have a damn good defensive line. It still can be the best DL in the Big 12, if Hamilton is healthy and recovered and Richardson makes the expected impact.

Gabbert's arm allowed the Tigers to pick up some 3rd and forevers, but he also was pretty inefficient on third down and did not throw the deep ball well at all. Franklin doesn't have the otherworldly arm strength Gabbert did, but he's no Chase Daniel or Brad Smith. He has a strong arm.

And yeah, losing those two tempers some expectations, but it doesn't kill them IMO. Winning in Norman looks pretty tough now, but I like the odds in the rest of the games. Texas still looks like a QB-less ship, and Mack Brown has to rebuild his entire staff. (And it's at home). oSu is going to be without Blackmon and possibly Wheeden, and definitely Hunter (though they have a deep stable of backs to fall back upon).

The new Big Ten still will be wide open.

duncan_idaho
01-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Getting Dorial Green-Beckham has always been a longshot, but you'd think that if we beat OU in Norman that might go a long way towards keeping him in state, especially since they are reportedly our main competition for him at this point.

I still expect USC, Auburn, or some other dirty ass slunt of a program to back up the Brinks truck to him, though.

I've actually heard that the family is not a big fan of Stoops (and this isn't just PowerMizzou info, for those that know me on both boards), and the coaching staff was pretty turned off by some recent antics of his during a visit to Green-Beckham's basketball practice). I think Slimy Bobby Petrino and Arkie actually are the main competition.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Aldon disappeared for most of the first half, but he was quite disruptive in the second. He was consistently getting in the backfield. The problem was that once he got back there, the other holes were so big b/c of Resonno and Burge being blown off the ball, that Coker still had a shitload of real estate to navigate safely.

There were a number of plays where he stunted inside or rushed from a DT position and got good penetration into the backfield, and it wasn't Derrick Thomas "I'm gonna rush wide and leave a six yard hole off of LT" penetration, either.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-04-2011, 09:42 AM
I've actually heard that the family is not a big fan of Stoops (and this isn't just PowerMizzou info, for those that know me on both boards), and the coaching staff was pretty turned off by some recent antics of his during a visit to Green-Beckham's basketball practice). I think Slimy Bobby Petrino and Arkie actually are the main competition.

That seems about right.

It's funny, Pinkel is the kind of guy that does everything ethically, but it's generally the scumbags who get the best guys in college athletics, even though they aren't looking out for the best interests of their players.

It's pretty telling when you see Pinkel's reaction to Gabbert's decision to declare (which couldn't have been more supportive) vs. Pete Carroll's fit when Sanchez declared. Both decisions really hurt the coach's ability to win next year, but Pinkel handled it the classy way.

I have no doubt that the Petrinos and Sabans of the world lay every guilt trip possible on their players in order to get them to stay (and Saban has done it through the media this year).

But, we know where nice guys often finish. That said, I'm not going to bash Pinkel for not being an inveterate scumbag.

KCrockaholic
01-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Chase Daniel regardless of physical attributes is a better football player.

Saul Good
01-04-2011, 10:07 AM
I'm good with this. Gabbert made NFL throws to college WRs, and those throws were dropped way too often. He will be a better pro QB than college QB. The cupboards aren't exactly bare, either.

In the long run, this helps the program. Send as much talent to the NFL as you can. The recruits will keep coming. Not too many programs have their last 3 QBs all drawing NFL paychecks. Its all about reloading, and Mizzou seems to have become a program that can do this. I think we win 10+ games next year.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-04-2011, 10:10 AM

Because Wes Kemp, Jerrell Jackson, TJ Moe, Brandon Gerau, Michael Egnew, Devion Moore, and Kendial Lawrence equal Jeremy Maclin, Danario Alexander, Chase Coffman, Martin Rucker, Tony Temple, Jared Perry, Will Franklin, and Derrick Washington.

Frazod
01-04-2011, 10:13 AM

The thing about Chase Daniel is that he actually DID SOMETHING FOR MISSOURI other than put up gaudy stats in high profile losses.

Why should I give a fuck what Gabbert does in his pro career? He won't be playing for a team I care about. In his two years at Missouri, he had one great win against Oklahoma, which was sadly rendered meaningless by the outcome of the season (they're the champs, we're the chumps). Other than that, he is 0-2 for in bowl games against inferior teams, had no conference championship game appearances, and was 100% Nebraska's bitch. Nothing he does in the NFL will change any of that.

When I think of Daniel, I think about that great 2007 game against Kansas. I think about the bowl victories. When I think about Gabbert, I just think about painful, high profile losses. That's just the way it is.

KCrockaholic
01-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Because Wes Kemp, Jerrell Jackson, TJ Moe, Brandon Gerau, Michael Egnew, Devion Moore, and Kendial Lawrence equal Jeremy Maclin, Danario Alexander, Chase Coffman, Martin Rucker, Tony Temple, Jared Perry, Will Franklin, and Derrick Washington.

?

No. I'm just making a statement that Chase Daniel is a better football player.

DeezNutz
01-04-2011, 10:28 AM
The thing about Chase Daniel is that he actually DID SOMETHING FOR MISSOURI other than put up gaudy stats in high profile losses.

Not much different, IMO. Daniel beat Kansas and a then "down" Nebraska. Yes, the bowl win against ARK was great, but Temple ran the fuck over that team.

Daniel was a huge part of a developing program, and he will always (correctly) be considered a foundational piece for the program.

Gabbert's win against Oklahoma, however, was just as important as any win Daniel was ever a part of.

kchero
01-04-2011, 10:28 AM
However you spin it, it is still a loss to lose these players, but I suppose it is a sign of where the Mizzou program is going. It shows that we are becoming a premeir program and are begining to experience the problems that the more premeir teams are experiencing.
It seems like almost every year Mizzou players that are heading to the NFL draft and this was obviously a less common occurance 10 years ago. I am happy where the program is heading and how we are recruiting and developing NFL talent.
Hopefully, because of this it is a sign that we are heading towards that more elite level.

KCrockaholic
01-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Not much different, IMO. Daniel beat Kansas and a then "down" Nebraska. Yes, the bowl win against ARK was great, but Temple ran the **** over that team.

Daniel was a huge part of a developing program, and he will always (correctly) be considered a foundational piece for the program.

Gabbert's win against Oklahoma, however, was just as important as any win Daniel was ever a part of.

Despite the success Daniel helped us achieve. Brad Smith is the guy that put Missouri back on the map IMO.

CoMoChief
01-04-2011, 10:34 AM
There goes MU's football team next year.

Though they'll still make some shitty bowl I'm sure (at least). It's kinda hard not to make a bowl game unless your team is just terrible.

DJ's left nut
01-04-2011, 10:36 AM

Though they'll still make some shitty bowl I'm sure (at least). It's kinda hard not to make a bowl game unless your team is just terrible.

See: Kansas.

Oh, that's right - you're the useless dicksmoke that claims he roots for MU during the football season.

Just go away, the adults are talking.

DJ's left nut
01-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Despite the success Daniel helped us achieve. Brad Smith is the guy that put Missouri back on the map IMO.

You could stretch that a bit and say it was really Corby Jones.

Or you could be completely honest and admit it was Gary Pinkel. Without Pinkel, Smith doesn't ever show up on campus.

Nor does Daniel. Nor does Maclin, Coffman, Moore, 'Spoon or any of the other guys we remember so fondly now.

It's why I simply cannot advocate the dismissal of Gary Pinkel. He runs a clean program, he does things right and he has this team to levels it's never been at on a consistent basis.

Is he perfect? No, not at all. But I probably couldn't name 10 guys that I'd rather have running this ship. Pinkel is the reason we are where we are.

KCrockaholic
01-04-2011, 10:48 AM

Or you could be completely honest and admit it was Gary Pinkel. Without Pinkel, Smith doesn't ever show up on campus.

Nor does Daniel. Nor does Maclin, Coffman, Moore, 'Spoon or any of the other guys we remember so fondly now.

It's why I simply cannot advocate the dismissal of Gary Pinkel. He runs a clean program, he does things right and he has this team to levels it's never been at on a consistent basis.

Is he perfect? No, not at all. But I probably couldn't name 10 guys that I'd rather have running this ship. Pinkel is the reason we are where we are.

I can't disagree on Pinkel. But I was just talking from a player standpoint. I'd say it was Brad Smith that helped put them on the map, but of course Pinkel is who recruited him.

Saul Good
01-04-2011, 10:51 AM
You've got to hand it to the KU football program in this regard. They are really good at not losing underclassmen to the NFL. What is their secret?

DJ's left nut
01-04-2011, 10:53 AM
This is some pretty good passive-aggressive smack right here re: Pinkel

http://atomicteeth.fantake.com/2010/10/22/the-indefensible-incompetence-of-gary-pinkel/

DeezNutz
01-04-2011, 11:41 AM

Absolutely.

The one thing that Pinkel has nailed 100 percent is one of his initial comments upon arriving at Missouri: "We will always have a QB." And he has. High-quality college QB after high-quality college QB, with (soon to be) three in the NFL.

I cannot and will not advocate for replacing Pinkel.

eazyb81
01-04-2011, 11:47 AM
I don't quite understand the confidence in Franklin by some fans. I didn't see enough in him this year to make me think he is even close to the type of spread QB that Daniel was. I think he may be better suited for a spread option scheme like Pat White-era West Virginia or Nebraska used with Martinez. However, I'm not sure Yost is flexible enough to create a scheme like that for him.

Tyler Gabbert is flying under the radar of Mizzou fans right now. He is the easier option to plug into the offense without making significant adjustments and utilizing our skill players, IMO.

Both players have the pedigree, and there were some good reports about how the younger Gabbert looked in Insight workouts.

DeezNutz
01-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Agreed. Way too small of a sample size on Franklin. When he was in the game, it was almost exclusively for designed QB draws. I have zero confidence in this kid's arm right now.

Not saying I know. Just saying that I haven't seen any empirical evidence.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Not much different, IMO. Daniel beat Kansas and a then "down" Nebraska. Yes, the bowl win against ARK was great, but Temple ran the fuck over that team.

Chase Daniel never beat a team half as good as the Oklahoma team Gabbert beat, and Gabbert did it with less talented players.

Saul Good
01-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Daniel had much better skill players on offense. Gabbert had better everything else, especially defense.

Bambi
01-04-2011, 12:07 PM
You've got to hand it to the KU football program in this regard. They are really good at not losing underclassmen to the NFL. What is their secret?

Dezmon Briscoe is is two weeks younger than Blaine Gabbert and has been playing in the NFL for a year.

DeezNutz
01-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Dezmon Briscoe is is two weeks younger than Blaine Gabbert and has been playing in the NFL for a year.

Not sure how we could have forgotten about his two games played (zero starts) and six receptions.

DJ's left nut
01-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Daniel had much better skill players on offense. Gabbert had better everything else, especially defense.

I disagree.

The O-lines were comparable and Daniel's defenses were occasionally inconsistent, but certainly not obviously worse than Gabbert's.

The secondaries were equally awful. In fact, the Daniel teams have much better playmakers back there with Pig Brown and William Moore.

The D-Lines with Daniel were just as good as they had Hood plugging the middle while making things easier for Sulak, etc... No, he didn't have Aldon Smith, but he did have Hood and some solid ends in their own right.

The LB corps were comparable, but Daniel's defenses get a slight edge because of what Spoon was able to do out there.

I just don't see Daniel having a far superior defense.

Bambi
01-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Not sure how we could have forgotten about his two games played (zero starts) and six receptions.

I think he should have stayed another year yes. But he's 21 and just had a breakout game with a rising team. Whatcha gonna do.

Blaine Gabbert should stay another year too.

DeezNutz
01-04-2011, 12:28 PM
I think he should have stayed another year yes. But he's 21 and just had a breakout game with a rising team. Whatcha gonna do.

Blaine Gabbert should stay another year too.

No, he shouldn't. He's a lock first rounder. There's much to risk and very little to gain by returning to college.

Bambi
01-04-2011, 12:32 PM
No, he shouldn't. He's a lock first rounder. There's much to risk and very little to gain by returning to college.

He is?

Luck, Locker, Newton, Mallet....etc

That's a few QBs to be considered "lock". But if you say so

Saul Good
01-04-2011, 12:37 PM
I disagree.

The O-lines were comparable and Daniel's defenses were occasionally inconsistent, but certainly not obviously worse than Gabbert's.

The secondaries were equally awful. In fact, the Daniel teams have much better playmakers back there with Pig Brown and William Moore.

The D-Lines with Daniel were just as good as they had Hood plugging the middle while making things easier for Sulak, etc... No, he didn't have Aldon Smith, but he did have Hood and some solid ends in their own right.

The LB corps were comparable, but Daniel's defenses get a slight edge because of what Spoon was able to do out there.

I just don't see Daniel having a far superior defense.

I don't know how I could possibly disagree more, especially about the defense. MU was top 10 in scoring defense this season. Daniel's teams were the DV Chiefs.

DJ's left nut
01-04-2011, 12:51 PM
I don't know how I could possibly disagree more, especially about the defense. MU was top 10 in scoring defense this season. Daniel's teams were the DV Chiefs.

Daniel's teams consistently played squads like Tech, Texas w/ McCoy and OU w/ Bradford and AP. Let's not act like it was just MU that some of those squads torched. OU set an all-time record for points in 2008, right? And Tech was setting scoring records annually. Meanwhile Texas was never exactly an easy out with VY and then McCoy. Hell - even Kansas was scoring points in bunches.

The talent on the Daniel defenses was far superior, IMO. The coaching wasn't as good, but I think it balances out.

I think the Daniel-era squads just faced much nastier offenses on a consistent basis.

duncan_idaho
01-04-2011, 10:37 PM

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Now that this has happened, Missouri will win the national title. James Franklin pulls a Tee Martin and Missouri fans are left saying "Blaine who?"

LiveSteam
01-04-2011, 10:41 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Now that this has happened, Missouri will win the national title. James Franklin pulls a Tee Martin and Missouri fans are left saying "Blaine who?"

Did they name a St. after Tee Martin?
They did for the other suck ass.

Sure-Oz
01-04-2011, 10:42 PM
He is?

College football isn't a real sport anyway, i don't blame him for going to the NFL to play a real sport....

Yes he is a LOCK 1st rounder duh

Saul Good
01-04-2011, 10:44 PM

The guy who left a year early to be drafted in the sixth round? Yawn

LiveSteam
01-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Blaine Gabbert to the Patriots

DJ's left nut
01-04-2011, 10:46 PM
He is?

Luck goes before him.

I bet he goes before at least 2 of your next 3.

Gabbert will absolutely go in the first round. I mean, he's no Sod Reesing or anything, but I'm sure he'd make a viable holder for somebody.

Saul Good
01-04-2011, 10:49 PM
Luck goes before him.

I bet he goes before at least 2 of your next 3.

Gabbert will absolutely go in the first round. I mean, he's no Sod Reesing or anything, but I'm sure he'd make a viable holder for somebody.

The nice thing about Reesing as a holder is that, on a snowy day, you can just set the ball on the turf in his facemask and use Sod as a tee.

duncan_idaho
01-04-2011, 10:50 PM
He is?

Gabbert is unlikely to pass Luck if he comes out, but he will crush everyone else at the combine.

He's a great workout QB. He crushed everyone at the Elite 11 workout, and it wasn't close (that crew included Luck, Dayne Crist, Landry Jones, E.J. Manual and Jacory Harris). He'll do the same at the NFL combine.

Not only that, but he's going to kill Mallett and Newton in interviews and football IQ.

Finally, Locker's stock has dropped significantly after his lackluster year. He's going to slide down to the 3rd or 4th round.

Sure-Oz
01-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Do we really have to explain to Wickedson that Gabbert really will go in the 1st round? No fucking way unless he tears or breaks bones will he fall past being the 2nd QB taken

Saul Good
01-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Finally, Locker's stock has dropped significantly after his lackluster year. He's going to slide down to the 3rd or 4th round.

no

DJ's left nut
01-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Do we really have to explain to Wickedson that Gabbert really will go in the 1st round? No ****ing way unless he tears or breaks bones will he fall past being the 2nd QB taken

Simma down now.

Mallet's not dead yet. If he finished this comeback, he stays in the conversation.

But I can't see anyone else going ahead of him. That's what I was trying to say to all the folks that where aghast of McShay having him listed as the #2 quarterback that could end up in the draft.

Look - somebody has to be #2. If you don't think it's him, then who is it? Sure, I'll try to come up with some scenarios that have him sliding to the Chiefs, but I don't believe them for a minute. I'd be really surprised if he made it out of the top 10.

duncan_idaho
01-04-2011, 11:07 PM
Simma down now.

Mallet's not dead yet. If he finished this comeback, he stays in the conversation.

But I can't see anyone else going ahead of him. That's what I was trying to say to all the folks that where aghast of McShay having him listed as the #2 quarterback that could end up in the draft.

Look - somebody has to be #2. If you don't think it's him, then who is it? Sure, I'll try to come up with some scenarios that have him sliding to the Chiefs, but I don't believe them for a minute. I'd be really surprised if he made it out of the top 10.

He's got a great arm, but his stone feet and his general idiocy are going to hurt him once teams start taking a closer look.

Best case, he's Drew Bledsoe. Worst case, he's Ryan Leaf/JaPorky Russell/Kyle Boller/etc. host of other guys with other-world arms and none of the other skills required to succeed in the NFL.

Sure-Oz
01-04-2011, 11:14 PM
I think Gabbert can be coached up big time..i think he has the will to succeed

DJ's left nut
01-04-2011, 11:15 PM
He's got a great arm, but his stone feet and his general idiocy are going to hurt him once teams start taking a closer look.

Best case, he's Drew Bledsoe. Worst case, he's Ryan Leaf/JaPorky Russell/Kyle Boller/etc. host of other guys with other-world arms and none of the other skills required to succeed in the NFL.

Blaine Gabbert may end up testing well, but he's not exactly Tom Brady out there when you examine the game film.

There are legitimate questions as to his game acumen as well. If Mallet has to deal with those concerns, Gabbert will have to do likewise.

And while Gabbert is much faster, he's still not really that elusive. Worse still, he can't throw on the run for shit.

Mallet will remain in the conversation for that 2nd slot, IMO. Newton, OTOH, will interview himself right out of it.

DJ's left nut
01-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Uh. Nevermind.

There goes Mallet being all Mallety. Pretty much one upped Gabbert's brainfart there, didn't he?

Saul Good
01-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Uh. Nevermind.

There goes Mallet being all Mallety. Pretty much one upped Gabbert's brainfart there, didn't he?

Nothing will ever touch Gabbert's. That was unlike anything I have ever seen.

duncan_idaho
01-04-2011, 11:20 PM
Blaine Gabbert may end up testing well, but he's not exactly Tom Brady out there when you examine the game film.

There are legitimate questions as to his game acumen as well. If Mallet has to deal with those concerns, Gabbert will have to do likewise.

And while Gabbert is much faster, he's still not really that elusive. Worse still, he can't throw on the run for shit.

Mallet will remain in the conversation for that 2nd slot, IMO. Newton, OTOH, will interview himself right out of it.

One studies film relentlessly (and is capable of self-study) and is an intelligent, well-spoken guy beloved by his teammates. (GABBERT)

One doesn't work hard off the field, and comes across like an ignorant, arrogant buffoon. (MALLET)

Gabbert is going to crush him in interviews. And his athletic ability is going to kill Mallett as well.

DJ's left nut
01-04-2011, 11:26 PM
One studies film relentlessly (and is capable of self-study) and is an intelligent, well-spoken guy beloved by his teammates. (GABBERT)

One doesn't work hard off the field, and comes across like an ignorant, arrogant buffoon. (MALLET)

Gabbert is going to crush him in interviews. And his athletic ability is going to kill Mallett as well.

These points are all fair.

That's why I said "when you examine the film" and cited his game accumen only.

I certainly believe Gabbert will test and interview exceptionally well. But you have to go through a bunch of games to find one where he doesn't make some truly head-scratching decisions out there.

I think Mallet settled it with that 4th quarter, though. His defense gave his shot after shot at it and he simply folded. It was very similar to watching the Alabama game. There is just too much film of him out there pissing down his legs when it counted the most.

Gabbert probably made another $5 million today.

DeezNutz
01-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Anyone who likes Mallett but doesn't like Gabbert more as a prospect should be deemed clinically insane.

It's past the holidays, but Gabbert should definitely be sending a thank you card down to Arkansas. And another one to a certain intrawebz poster who has noted his likely success for over two years now.

-King-
01-05-2011, 04:47 AM
IMO, Gabbert will bust very quickly if he is asked to start from the get go. I dohnt think he has "it" yet. Whoever drafts him better sit him atleast for the first year if not more. I don't think he's too football smart right now. Our system at Mizzou didn't prepare him for shit. If he's started in the 1st year, he's going to be worse than Mark Sanchez IMO because he likely won't have the run game and defense to fall back on.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-05-2011, 10:04 AM
I wonder if the Chiefs are going to sign a vet or try to find a prospect in the off season?

Palko + Croyle = 1/4 Thiggy.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Gabbert obviously needs to sit for a year, but the guy is intelligent, very gifted, and he's also extremely dedicated. He's also grounded.

He wasn't taking a bullshit major at Mizzou, and if you are to believe his own tweets, he was doing pretty well in advanced finance and econ classes. I know it seems crazy, but when a guy studies 7+ hours for a single final when he knows there's a good chance he might leave school anyway the next semester, it shows that he has his work ethic and his priorities together.

He's got a good family, he's responsible, mature, and his teammates absolutely love him. Couple that with his physical ability and you have a tremendous QB prospect.

The other thing to remember is that it only takes one team to overdraft someone (Tyson Jackson, Tim Tebow). It wouldn't surprise me if several teams took Cam Newton totally off their boards, but I also wouldn't be stunned if either he or Locker were taken in the top 20 picks. NFL teams' boards vary wildly.

jbwm89
01-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Gabbert obviously needs to sit for a year, but the guy is intelligent, very gifted, and he's also extremely dedicated. He's also grounded.

He wasn't taking a bullshit major at Mizzou, and if you are to believe his own tweets, he was doing pretty well in advanced finance and econ classes. I know it seems crazy, but when a guy studies 7+ hours for a single final when he knows there's a good chance he might leave school anyway the next semester, it shows that he has his work ethic and his priorities together.

He's got a good family, he's responsible, mature, and his teammates absolutely love him. Couple that with his physical ability and you have a tremendous QB prospect.

The other thing to remember is that it only takes one team to overdraft someone (Tyson Jackson, Tim Tebow). It wouldn't surprise me if several teams took Cam Newton totally off their boards, but I also wouldn't be stunned if either he or Locker were taken in the top 20 picks. NFL teams' boards vary wildly.

I was in Operations Management with Gabbert last semester and he answered more questions and was more prepared than I was. The guy seems pretty stand-up, not a douche bag at the bars and pretty humble when teachers/guest speakers would ask him bs questions about football during class.

He obviously needs some work as an nfl understudy but comparing him to Ryan Leaf/JRussell isn't very accurate.

Bambi
01-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Do we really have to explain to Wickedson that Gabbert really will go in the 1st round? No ****ing way unless he tears or breaks bones will he fall past being the 2nd QB taken

I like watching players from the local schools making it in the NFL. I just think saying he's a lock first round pick isn't 100%. Most of the draft boards I've seen have those other QBs I listed as going before him.

Leaving this year as opposed to next because of the labor issues is probably a good move for him when looking at the dollar signs...

eazyb81
01-05-2011, 10:59 AM
I was in Operations Management with Gabbert last semester and he answered more questions and was more prepared than I was. The guy seems pretty stand-up, not a douche bag at the bars and pretty humble when teachers/guest speakers would ask him bs questions about football during class.

He obviously needs some work as an nfl understudy but comparing him to Ryan Leaf/JRussell isn't very accurate.

Unless you take too long to piss...

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=196114&catid=3

The Columbia Daily Tribune reports that Gabbert;
his brother, Blaine; and linebacker Andrew Gachkar
got into a fight with another group of men outside
Gumby's Pizza around 1:30 a.m. Saturday. No one
was arrested.

Police say the fight involved taking too long in the
bathroom.

A police report says the players and the others
involved likely had been drinking, but no one was
ticketed or arrested. Of the three players involved,
Gachkar is the only one of legal drinking age.

Both quarterback Blaine Gabbert and Gachkar are
starters. Tyler Gabbert is in his first semester at
Missouri after finishing high school early.

jbwm89
01-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Unless you take too long to piss...

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=196114&catid=3

Haha I don't know the story behind that one but just from when I've been around him he is a pretty laid back guy compared to a guy like Chase Daniel who would walk behind the bar make his own drinks and shit. Daniel was a serious dbag and everyone down there knows it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Haha I don't know the story behind that one but just from when I've been around him he is a pretty laid back guy compared to a guy like Chase Daniel who would walk behind the bar make his own drinks and shit. Daniel was a serious dbag and everyone down there knows it.

This is true. A couple of girls I know fucking hated that guy.

jbwm89
01-05-2011, 01:56 PM
This is true. A couple of girls I know ****ing hated that guy.

I know his girlfriend and I am pretty sure even she hated his ass.

mohammedhali
01-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Blaine Gabbert wouldn't start on the Omaha Beef, his brother might be good enough to play Canadian football someday in an alternate universe, and the rest of Missouri's team can look forward to working at firework stands in July.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-05-2011, 02:46 PM
To all of you mizzou fans who are saying you're glad Blaine is leaving, I only have 1 thing to say: you don't know what you're losing. Blaine is one of the best pure football players I've ever been privileged to be around. He's smart, tough, a great leader, and he cares about his teammates and his team more than he does himself. That's exactly why he's going to make a GREAT professional QB. We've been honored to have him play for us for these 3 years and its been an honor for me to suit up in the black and gold with him. We love you Blaine

TJ Moe

eazyb81
01-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Thankfully Steckel did not get the Texas State job. They hired Dennis Franchione instead.

Also rumor is that Saban was in Springfield yesterday to see Dorial Green.

kepp
01-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Thankfully Steckel did not get the Texas State job. They hired Dennis Franchione instead.

I wonder if Richardson would have backed off his commitment if Steckel got that job?

eazyb81
01-06-2011, 05:15 PM
http://walterfootball.com/draft2011.php

According to Walter Football, Blaine is "constantly out of shape and terribly inaccurate".

I seriously wonder if has him confused with another QB.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-06-2011, 05:15 PM
I wonder if Richardson would have backed off his commitment if Steckel got that job?

He signed his LOI. We have him by the balls now.

KChiefs1
01-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Will Gabbert be the first pick now that Luck isn't coming out?

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-06-2011, 05:17 PM
http://walterfootball.com/draft2011.php

According to Walter Football, Blaine is "constantly out of shape and terribly inaccurate".

I seriously wonder if has him confused with another QB.

I saw that. It's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen anyone post about any player, ever.

Looks out of shape to me:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs126.snc4/36687_1378506184719_1293810011_31206080_3164212_n.jpg

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-06-2011, 05:18 PM
I guarantee you Walter thinks he's fat b/c he wears a flak jacket.

KcMizzou
01-06-2011, 05:19 PM
I guarantee you Walter thinks he's fat b/c he wears a flak jacket.That's exactly what I was thinking.

beer bacon
01-06-2011, 05:19 PM
There were also some geniouses over at walterfootball saying he had a slow release.

Chiefnj2
01-06-2011, 05:28 PM
A year ago people on this site thought Walter was a good football site because he made fun of Pioli, Haley and Cassel.

eazyb81
01-06-2011, 05:29 PM

LOL, I didn't think of that but I guarantee that's it. What a dumbass.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-06-2011, 05:31 PM
A year ago people on this site thought Walter was a good football site because he made fun of Pioli, Haley and Cassel.

I'm not making far reaching judgments about the entire website. I know that in this specific instance, their evaluation was laughably wrong. Just like Mike Mayock saying Robert Ayers was the best defensive player in the 2009 Draft, Mel Kiper saying he'd see another talking head at Mike Williams' HOF induction, and Scott Wright giving Joey Harrington one of his highest ratings ever.

Chiefnj2
01-06-2011, 05:34 PM
I'm not making far reaching judgments about the entire website..

I will. They suck and have always sucked.

DJ's left nut
01-06-2011, 05:36 PM
I read that as well.

Dude - Gabbert's built.

As for the Gabbert/Daniel comp; that's pretty accurate. Daniel was not well loved around town as a person. Most people thought he was kindof a prick (and his teammates weren't always big fans either).

That said - folks around here still give him more rope than they ever gave Gabbert. I just don't understand what people wanted from the guy. He was a very good quarterback and folks were always trying to argue that he was killing us.

Gabbert has some warts, but he was an excellent QB for Mizzou. With more weapons and a less braindead coordinator, he'd have set some single-season records, IMO.

I'm excited to see what Franklin can do, but I'm not going to ignore Gabbert's contributions to the program either. The kid was a good Tiger and a solid representative for the university.

Thank god Tebow is already on the Broncos. It would kill me to see that guy in orange.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Gabbert caught flak because most fans are like Hootie--they look at box scores and think that describes the quality of a player. What they don't realize is how many weapons Chase had to play with and how D coordinators hadn't yet adjusted to the spread.

It's not a coincidence that scoring was down across the entire league over the last two years.

Refer to your sig.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-06-2011, 05:50 PM
'Logic' prevailed in Gabbert's decision

BALLWIN • As he started out the side door of his family's house on Wednesday afternoon, Blaine Gabbert turned back toward his father and asked to borrow his credit card for lunch.

In response to the apparently familiar request, Chuck Gabbert offered a more certain cash sum instead.
Two days after Blaine Gabbert announced he would forgo his senior year at Mizzou to enter the NFL draft and thus likely become a millionaire, there was no sense of irony in their exchange.

For that matter, little if anything seemed changed in the immediate aftermath of the momentous decision.

Here was Gabbert, cleaning up a paper trail of their golden retriever, Blitz, and there he was with brother Tyler bringing youngest brother Brett a sandwich for lunch at his nearby elementary school.

Amid mulling his options, he took time to go trout fishing a few days ago.

All of which reflected a certain serenity about the decision, exciting and complicated and emotional as it might have seemed to be.

"I made some pretty quick decisions, but I felt that it was in the best interests of my family just to kind of get things settled," said Gabbert, a Parkway West graduate, adding that he wouldn't even say the decision "was necessarily stressful. ... You've got to do what you've got to do. None of these decisions are personal. It's about business. It's about logic. It's about the numbers game."

Sitting at the very table where the family talked over the pros and cons in the days before his decision was announced Monday, Gabbert didn't expand much on the specifics of the logic, business and numbers game.

But a few factors clearly loomed large, including the feedback he got from the NFL draft advisory board and prospective agents.

"It was pretty simple," he said. "I got my draft grade back, and I passed that."

Asked what it meant to "pass," Gabbert smiled and said, "Uh, I'll say I got an 'A' on it.' "

In general, Mizzou coach Gary Pinkel's stance has been that if the advisory board suggests a player would be a first-round pick, he should go.

Without revealing his particular reading, Gabbert said Pinkel and offensive coordinator David Yost told him to "go for it," another in a series of what he considers their "extremely awesome" and unselfish approaches to such situations.

Gabbert also said that without his receivers and linemen, too many to mention here, "I honestly can truly say I wouldn't have this opportunity if it wasn't for those guys."

Three other MU underclassmen are known to have submitted their names for evaluation: defensive ends Aldon Smith and Jacquies Smith and tight end Michael Egnew. Gabbert said he did not know their thoughts but noted, "I know they all received draftable grades back from the committee. ... They've got a big choice on their hands, too."

The feedback from the advisory board was compiled before Mizzou's Insight Bowl loss to Iowa, in which Gabbert completed 41 of 57 passes for 434 yards but threw a late interception that was returned for a 72-yard touchdown in the 27-24 loss.

The loss and that painful play weren't the way Gabbert wanted to go out, but the overall effort enhanced his profile, he learned, perhaps particularly with the handful of NFL general managers and scouts on hand as well as Arizona Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt.

"I would definitely say the bowl game helped me out stock-wise," he said. "But in the end we didn't win the football game. That's the thing that sticks with me."

Gabbert said he had managed to keep his thoughts off the decision until after the bowl game, when he "kind of made a 180-degree turn" in emphasis.

That included not only deciding whether to come out but who to have represent him. On Tuesday, he decided to go with Clayton-based CAA Football. The group led by Jim Steiner, Tom Condon and Ben Dogra has represented seven of the last eight overall No. 1 picks in the draft, including Rams quarterback Sam Bradford, and numerous other first-round picks such as Kirkwood High and Mizzou product Jeremy Maclin — chosen 19th by the Philadelphia Eagles in 2009.

"They're the most professional people I've ever met," he said. "They shoot you straight. Those are the kinds of people I want to be surrounded by."

Gabbert said he wasn't concerned about the possibility of an NFL labor stoppage.

"From what I know, it would be impossible for the owners to not have football next season because they still owe billions of dollars on their stadiums — in Arizona and Dallas, those are the main two," he said, adding, "From a numbers standpoint, that can't happen."

Between now and the draft will be a hectic time for Gabbert.

He'll leave Sunday for about six weeks at Athletes' Performance in Phoenix, where he'll immerse himself in all facets of training six days a week in what he called "pretty much a custom-fitted program." His time there also will include learning NFL terminology.

That will help prepare him for the NFL Combine beginning Feb. 24, where he expects and even embraces being prodded and poked and otherwise scrutinized.

"NFL teams have all the right in the world to do that because they're investing a ton of money in players," Gabbert said.

One thing Gabbert already has picked up on from the NFL is "the so-called knock" of being a spread quarterback who has to "overcome those deficiencies." That seems to concern him much less than it does the advisory board.

"It's not a hard transition whatsoever, and I took (drop-backs) in high school and I still take drops in practice," he said. "We just happened to be in the (shot)gun the majority of the time.

"You see guys like (Rams quarterback) Sam Bradford, he took the majority of snaps out of the gun in college and he's made a pretty darned good transition to the NFL."

A transition he's ready for.

"Been a big change in about a week," he said, "but it's a change for the best and I'm excited to start this new chapter of my life and just go full-throttle. ... I'm just thankful for this opportunity, and I'm not going to let it slip through my hands."

Sully
01-06-2011, 05:55 PM
I know his girlfriend and I am pretty sure even she hated his ass.

The same one from Richmond.

Sent from my Rotary phone using Tapatalk

Chiefnj2
01-06-2011, 05:56 PM
I wish there was public access to the draft grades to see how accurate they are in terms of actually being drafted and professional success.

Sully
01-06-2011, 06:07 PM
'Logic' prevailed in Gabbert's decision

BALLWIN &bull; As he started out the side door of his family's house on Wednesday afternoon, Blaine Gabbert turned back toward his father and asked to borrow his credit card for lunch.

In response to the apparently familiar request, Chuck Gabbert offered a more certain cash sum instead.
Two days after Blaine Gabbert announced he would forgo his senior year at Mizzou to enter the NFL draft and thus likely become a millionaire, there was no sense of irony in their exchange.

For that matter, little if anything seemed changed in the immediate aftermath of the momentous decision.

Here was Gabbert, cleaning up a paper trail of their golden retriever, Blitz, and there he was with brother Tyler bringing youngest brother Brett a sandwich for lunch at his nearby elementary school.

Amid mulling his options, he took time to go trout fishing a few days ago.

All of which reflected a certain serenity about the decision, exciting and complicated and emotional as it might have seemed to be.

"I made some pretty quick decisions, but I felt that it was in the best interests of my family just to kind of get things settled," said Gabbert, a Parkway West graduate, adding that he wouldn't even say the decision "was necessarily stressful. ... You've got to do what you've got to do. None of these decisions are personal. It's about business. It's about logic. It's about the numbers game."

Sitting at the very table where the family talked over the pros and cons in the days before his decision was announced Monday, Gabbert didn't expand much on the specifics of the logic, business and numbers game.

But a few factors clearly loomed large, including the feedback he got from the NFL draft advisory board and prospective agents.

"It was pretty simple," he said. "I got my draft grade back, and I passed that."

Asked what it meant to "pass," Gabbert smiled and said, "Uh, I'll say I got an 'A' on it.' "

In general, Mizzou coach Gary Pinkel's stance has been that if the advisory board suggests a player would be a first-round pick, he should go.

Without revealing his particular reading, Gabbert said Pinkel and offensive coordinator David Yost told him to "go for it," another in a series of what he considers their "extremely awesome" and unselfish approaches to such situations.

Gabbert also said that without his receivers and linemen, too many to mention here, "I honestly can truly say I wouldn't have this opportunity if it wasn't for those guys."

Three other MU underclassmen are known to have submitted their names for evaluation: defensive ends Aldon Smith and Jacquies Smith and tight end Michael Egnew. Gabbert said he did not know their thoughts but noted, "I know they all received draftable grades back from the committee. ... They've got a big choice on their hands, too."

The feedback from the advisory board was compiled before Mizzou's Insight Bowl loss to Iowa, in which Gabbert completed 41 of 57 passes for 434 yards but threw a late interception that was returned for a 72-yard touchdown in the 27-24 loss.

The loss and that painful play weren't the way Gabbert wanted to go out, but the overall effort enhanced his profile, he learned, perhaps particularly with the handful of NFL general managers and scouts on hand as well as Arizona Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt.

"I would definitely say the bowl game helped me out stock-wise," he said. "But in the end we didn't win the football game. That's the thing that sticks with me."

Gabbert said he had managed to keep his thoughts off the decision until after the bowl game, when he "kind of made a 180-degree turn" in emphasis.

That included not only deciding whether to come out but who to have represent him. On Tuesday, he decided to go with Clayton-based CAA Football. The group led by Jim Steiner, Tom Condon and Ben Dogra has represented seven of the last eight overall No. 1 picks in the draft, including Rams quarterback Sam Bradford, and numerous other first-round picks such as Kirkwood High and Mizzou product Jeremy Maclin &mdash; chosen 19th by the Philadelphia Eagles in 2009.

"They're the most professional people I've ever met," he said. "They shoot you straight. Those are the kinds of people I want to be surrounded by."

Gabbert said he wasn't concerned about the possibility of an NFL labor stoppage.

"From what I know, it would be impossible for the owners to not have football next season because they still owe billions of dollars on their stadiums &mdash; in Arizona and Dallas, those are the main two," he said, adding, "From a numbers standpoint, that can't happen."

Between now and the draft will be a hectic time for Gabbert.

He'll leave Sunday for about six weeks at Athletes' Performance in Phoenix, where he'll immerse himself in all facets of training six days a week in what he called "pretty much a custom-fitted program." His time there also will include learning NFL terminology.

That will help prepare him for the NFL Combine beginning Feb. 24, where he expects and even embraces being prodded and poked and otherwise scrutinized.

"NFL teams have all the right in the world to do that because they're investing a ton of money in players," Gabbert said.

One thing Gabbert already has picked up on from the NFL is "the so-called knock" of being a spread quarterback who has to "overcome those deficiencies." That seems to concern him much less than it does the advisory board.

"It's not a hard transition whatsoever, and I took (drop-backs) in high school and I still take drops in practice," he said. "We just happened to be in the (shot)gun the majority of the time.

"You see guys like (Rams quarterback) Sam Bradford, he took the majority of snaps out of the gun in college and he's made a pretty darned good transition to the NFL."

A transition he's ready for.

"Been a big change in about a week," he said, "but it's a change for the best and I'm excited to start this new chapter of my life and just go full-throttle. ... I'm just thankful for this opportunity, and I'm not going to let it slip through my hands."

He practiced dropping back, but rarely ever used it?
WTF is Yost doing?

BTW, I believe I was there at a coaches clinic at the exact moment Yost fell in live with the WR screen. I've got 11 pages of notes on it.

Sent from my Rotary phone using Tapatalk

eazyb81
01-07-2011, 08:30 AM
Any update on Aldon?

I really hope he stays for one more year. But I could see him tearing up the combine like Pierre-Paul last year, pushing his way to a top 20 pick.

kepp
01-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Any update on Aldon?

I really hope he stays for one more year. But I could see him tearing up the combine like Pierre-Paul last year, pushing his way to a top 20 pick.

I haven't seen anything official one way or the other about him. I have seen him going #15 - 20 in a few mocks though, so there are some people thinking he's coming out.

Pitt Gorilla
01-12-2011, 04:45 PM
I've seen a lot of mocks sending him to the 49ers, but #1 overall?!?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andrew_perloff/01/12/mock-draft/

DeezNutz
01-12-2011, 04:50 PM

Not possible. In my Gabbert thread earlier this year, I was told that he might not even be a first rounder.

eazyb81
01-12-2011, 04:52 PM

And Aldon Smith going #8.

That would do wonders for Mizzou's recruiting.

Pitt Gorilla
01-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Not possible. In my Gabbert thread earlier this year, I was told that he might not even be a first rounder.Some MU fans think he isn't a good QB. Of course, some fans (MU and otherwise) don't think Pinkel is a good coach.

Pitt Gorilla
01-12-2011, 04:53 PM
And Aldon Smith going #8.

That would do wonders for Mizzou's recruiting.I've seen a few with him going to the Chiefs; I'm not sold yet after watching his return this year.

POND_OF_RED
01-12-2011, 04:54 PM
I think the guy's a bit of a homer with Aldon Smith going #8 as well. I think Gabbert will be the best QB prospect in this draft but I think the Panthers would trade down before taking him that high.

SPATCH
01-12-2011, 05:02 PM
I think the guy's a bit of a homer with Aldon Smith going #8 as well. I think Gabbert will be the best QB prospect in this draft but I think the Panthers would trade down before taking him that high.

If the Panthers drafted Gabbert it would be comparable to the Lions string of WR draft picks.. I just don't see it happening. Especially at #1.

eazyb81
01-12-2011, 05:02 PM

Who would trade up to #1 this year? Guys like Bowers, Fairley, and Peterson grade out about the same.

I think Carolina is stuck with the pick.

SPATCH
01-12-2011, 05:12 PM

Texas State up in this bitch YYEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhh. We're coming the WAC mother fuckers lol

Yeah I've met him in person a few times through a few friends that I have on the team and the kid is stacked. I was intimidated to be honest. I didn't expect him to be quite the specimen that he is.

KChiefs1
01-12-2011, 05:32 PM

McLovin lovin some Mizzou. :thumb:

Reaper16
01-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Read #10 on that mock. It says that "Justin Blackmon is going back to Missouri." What a coup! M-I-Z!

POND_OF_RED
01-12-2011, 06:10 PM
Read #10 on that mock. It says that "Justin Blackmon is going back to Missouri." What a coup! M-I-Z!

LMAOLMAOLMAO Hell Yeah!!!

In all seriousness though this is the first I'm hearing of Blackmon returning to OSU. That kind of sucks. Big 12 definitely goes through the state of Oklahoma next year.

Pitt Gorilla
03-24-2011, 10:49 PM
BTW,

Lil Gabbert was nearly perfect in the last scrimmage against the #1 D. Dude is a stud.

KcMizzou
03-24-2011, 11:02 PM
BTW,

Lil Gabbert was nearly perfect in the last scrimmage against the #1 D. Dude is a stud.Suck it billay!!! :D

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Suck it billay!!! :D

Some impressive-ass DNA.

Deberg_1990
09-08-2013, 05:01 PM
he isn't NFL caliber. He will fail miserably

Your a prophet sir!

BryanBusby
09-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Amazing insight O.O

Any MU fan that wasn't a total homer could of told you that.

Easy 6
09-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Cant believe they didn't pull this guy.

notorious
09-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Gabbert is fucking up the 1st round pick:Superbowl ratio.

Frazod
09-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the memories, Big Game Blaine. Oops, I mean, thanks for the memory.

No one can ever accuse me of being anything but happy the fucker left and even happier that the Chiefs didn't draft him.

-King-
09-08-2013, 05:13 PM
The guy had 16 touchdowns his senior season.

16! No way he was ready for the NFL.

BryanBusby
09-08-2013, 05:19 PM
The guy had 16 touchdowns his senior season.

16! No way he was ready for the NFL.

He didn't stay for his senior year.

Cochise
09-08-2013, 05:24 PM
I expect whoever banned me for doing this will be along with their cereal-box badge to ban Deberg! (not)

Chocolate Hog
09-08-2013, 05:35 PM
No one can ever accuse me of being anything but happy the fucker left and even happier that the Chiefs didn't draft him.

How's mizzou done since he's left?

Sannyasi
09-08-2013, 05:36 PM

Well that certainly does make those 16 TD's look more impressive.

BryanBusby
09-08-2013, 05:39 PM

They did alright the first year post-Gabbert and had a injury plagued year.

-King-
09-08-2013, 05:43 PM

Whatever his last year in college year awas. He should have stayed for his senior season.

-King-
09-08-2013, 05:44 PM

Dude is worse than both Daniel and Franklin. No contest.

BryanBusby
09-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Whatever his last year in college year awas. He should have stayed for his senior season.
Money talks. Rookie caps were coming the next year and the QB class was hilariously weak after laptop.

Jacksonville is a black-hole of offense and he was fucked before he ever took the field. But yeah, he was nowhere near ready to leave Missouri.