PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Nook or Kindle?

GloryDayz
01-03-2011, 08:38 PM
For my after-Christmas Christmas gift, I've been thinking about an e-book. I think the iPad is a bit over the top for being used as a book reader, so I think a Nook or Kindle seems smart. Anybody care to give there opinion?

BigRedChief
01-03-2011, 08:39 PM
neither, IPAD!

WebGem
01-03-2011, 08:40 PM
I voted for the only thing that I have ever heard of.

trndobrd
01-03-2011, 08:43 PM
"Book"

Pawnmower
01-03-2011, 08:44 PM
For my after-Christmas Christmas gift, I've been thinking about an e-book. I think the iPad is a bit over the top for being used as a book reader, so I think a Nook or Kindle seems smart. Anybody care to give there opinion?

Droid has the kindle application...So you can use a droid device

I personally like the Droid X I just got...its JUST big enough......maybe not big enough if you are using it as a pure book reader. But it is awesome....and portable..

The ipad my buddy has is sick, but its so big.....If its just at home though....it wouldnt matter...

So , i didnt read the thread but my vote for portable would be Droid X and for a stay at home , maybe one slightly bigger like IPAD or a bigger android tab when they come out (or get more common and proven).

GloryDayz
01-03-2011, 08:48 PM
It'll mainly be for on planes.

Mr. Plow
01-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Kindle is pretty nice. Got one for my son for his birthday. He seems to really like it. I can't comment on the other.

Pawnmower
01-03-2011, 08:53 PM

Almost any device with the android OS can use kindle (e books?) books from amazon.com also, so dont limit yourself in your search! For strictly plane going, a device teh size and awesomeness of the IPAD really cant be beaten.....it can do alot of shit....but there are probably a number of android OS devices very similar coming out soon as well...I am not too up on the bigger ones, but damn I am in LOVE with my droid x.....If I get a bigger 'ipad / book / movie/ device it will probably be an android based device...You cant go too wrong either way you go though as long as you get one that is big enough for what you want. (Cuz theyre both really cool..I have played with ipod touch, ipad, droids...etc...)

Deberg_1990
01-03-2011, 08:55 PM
"Book"

Whats that?

Signed, anyone under 25....

dtebbe
01-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Not sure what the other devices use for a display, but the kindle's e-ink display is amazing, and it lasts weeks on a charge.

DT

Direckshun
01-03-2011, 09:15 PM
I have a Nook Color, and I really enjoy it.

It's not going to have a bunch of games and tricks and fun stuff you can do on the IPad, but I'm a huge reader. It's purely for those who read.

Pawnmower
01-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Not sure what the other devices use for a display, but the kindle's e-ink display is amazing, and it lasts weeks on a charge.

DT

Kindles seem to be pretty affordable too...I heard it was the most popular or most sold item on AMazon.com now...Just that says a lot about it. My wife gave one to her mom , and she digs it.

GloryDayz
01-03-2011, 09:17 PM
I have a Nook Color, and I really enjoy it.

It's not going to have a bunch of games and tricks and fun stuff you can do on the IPad, but I'm a huge reader. It's purely for those who read.

Does the battery life turn out to be an issue?

Pawnmower
01-03-2011, 09:20 PM

If you were flying, battery life would only be an issue on REALLY long travel days with almost any device...Unless you failed to charge it before-hand. If you turn off networking and extra shit, most devices will last long enough for even LONG ass flights. Even then you could an extra battery for many things.....I would say battery life for you would be the least of any concerns (since you primarily use it while flying).

GloryDayz
01-03-2011, 09:24 PM
I do a lot of photography, so I'd think Diving and photography magazines would be a must-have for me, so color is a big plus for me. But some of the write-ups compare 8 hours to nearly 30 days. Seems like they're comparing apples to oranges in some regards.

Ecto-I
01-03-2011, 09:29 PM
I received a Kindle from Santa and love it! Great battery life. Easy on the eyes. Wireless and 3G. Fast downloads. Couldn't ask for much more from an ebook reader.

KcKc
01-03-2011, 09:35 PM
nook. got my mom a nook color. with the kindle you have to buy the books from amazon. lame.

Reaper16
01-03-2011, 09:42 PM
"Book"
Yes.

Pawnmower
01-03-2011, 09:43 PM
I do a lot of photography, so I'd think Diving and photography magazines would be a must-have for me, so color is a big plus for me. But some of the write-ups compare 8 hours to nearly 30 days. Seems like they're comparing apples to oranges in some regards.

If you are close to a medium sized city maybe you can go to an Apple store / best buy/ fryes / big electronic store

You need to get your mitts on some

Pawnmower
01-03-2011, 09:44 PM
nook. got my mom a nook color. with the kindle you have to buy the books from amazon. lame.

From what I understand this is completely false....They will read pdf and other formats....Won't they?

Vegas_Dave
Nook Color - hands down. I'm posting this reply on it right now. Its awesome.

Mr. Flopnuts
If you were flying, battery life would only be an issue on REALLY long travel days with almost any device...Unless you failed to charge it before-hand. If you turn off networking and extra shit, most devices will last long enough for even LONG ass flights. Even then you could an extra battery for many things.....I would say battery life for you would be the least of any concerns (since you primarily use it while flying).

I bought my wife a Kindle and she reads on average about 3 novels a week. She has to charge her Kindle once every two weeks. The battery life on it is awesome. It rarely needs to be charged.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-03-2011, 09:46 PM
From what I understand this is completely false....They will read pdf and other formats....Won't they?

Yeah, it is bullshit. The only thing that sucks about the Kindle is the inability to get library books with it. But you can download from the internet (not that I would suggest anyone do anything illegal like that) amongst other formats.

Pawnmower
01-03-2011, 09:47 PM
I bought my wife a Kindle and she reads on average about 3 novels a week. She has to charge her Kindle once every two weeks. The battery life on it is awesome. It rarely needs to be charged.

RGR that...Some other devices which are connected to Amazon via a kindle application are not so efficient though...(Like My Droid X).....I love it, but I have to charge it 1x per day.(well overnight anyhow)

Gonzo
01-03-2011, 09:51 PM
My mom got an e-reader for x-mas and it's pretty sweet. Anyone have a good free site for book downloads?
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Flopnuts
01-03-2011, 09:52 PM
My mom got an e-reader for x-mas and it's pretty sweet. Anyone have a good free site for book downloads?
Posted via Mobile Device

Torrents. BTW, I played with your mom's Nook, after she tugged on my Kindle.

Gonzo
01-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Thanks sweetums.
:D
Posted via Mobile Device

Pawnmower
01-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Also, you can use the Edonkey Network, (ED2k)

I have gotten a SHIT load of books from there...Not the most 'user friendly' but if you can deal with torrents its similar...

http://www.emule-project.net/home/perl/general.cgi?l=1

You can get a ton through torrents, but I like to use Emule just to check shit out sometimes..

Gonzo
01-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Also, you can use the Edonkey Network, (ED2k)

I have gotten a SHIT load of books from there...Not the most 'user friendly' but if you can deal with torrents its similar...

http://www.emule-project.net/home/perl/general.cgi?l=1

You can get a ton through torrents, but I like to use Emule just to check shit out sometimes..

Thanks man.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pawnmower
01-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks man.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sure, if you have any problems with Torrent'ing or ED2K'ing shoot me a PM, would gladly help a fellow Chiefs fan out.

Direckshun
01-03-2011, 10:15 PM

I read pretty much continuously all day.

I plug it in at night, I unplug it in the morning. I have had zero battery issues.

Guru
01-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Nook. My understanding is you have more freedom with it. BAttery is easier to access as well.

Param
01-03-2011, 10:32 PM

That's easy. iPad. You can read magazines and books on it. And if you feel like changing it up, you can buy the wifi on the plane and then start surfing the net, reading news, checking emails, play games, and sending messages. The iPad should be your choice. It gives you many options.

Guru
01-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Kindle $139
Nook $149
iPad $499

go with the nook. JMHO

cosmo20002
01-03-2011, 11:00 PM
I prefer my reading material in periodical form.

alnorth
01-03-2011, 11:59 PM
If you just want an e-reader, and you want it to be the best e-reader possible, you do not want an iPad.

An iPad is for people who dont want a laptop, but do want something to do a lot of stuff, one of which just happens to be reading books. However, the backlighting of an iPad makes it harder to read. For long stretches of reading, you are better off using a device that uses e-ink and provide your own light source.

Of the Nook and Kindle, I happen to prefer the Kindle. The nook is a perfectly good device too.

Bwana
01-04-2011, 06:31 AM
Nook

Graystoke
01-04-2011, 06:32 AM
I got my wife the Color Nook for her B-Day. She has been very happy with it.
Now she can read her Romance Trash and nobody knows any better.

salame
01-04-2011, 06:51 AM
I want a kindle but have no use for it lol

Swanman
01-04-2011, 07:28 AM
I haven't used a Nook, so no comment on it. I have a Kindle and absolutely love it. If you want something that is just a damn good e-reader, then you can't go wrong with the Kindle.

If you need more of an all-in-one device, you can take out a second mortgage and get an Ipad and use the Kindle app. I recently got an Archos 101, which is basically the Ipad at about half the price and uses Android. That can do the Kindle app as well.

Vegas_Dave
01-04-2011, 07:49 AM
That's easy. iPad. You can read magazines and books on it. And if you feel like changing it up, you can buy the wifi on the plane and then start surfing the net, reading news, checking emails, play games, and sending messages. The iPad should be your choice. It gives you many options.

All of this can be done on the nook color as well, but at the $249 price point.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Nook. My understanding is you have more freedom with it. BAttery is easier to access as well.

This. Also easier to upgrade the memory.

Pants
01-04-2011, 08:17 AM

Kindle reads any PDF, .doc or .txt file. So yeah, you don't really need to buy anything from Amazon. The internet is an incredible thing. I got my dad the Kindle for his BDay and he seemed to really dig it. The pearl e-ink is amazing. The good thing about the e-readers is that they don't strain the eyes like other devices, so I wouldn't even put the iPad in the category, it's a totally different animal.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-04-2011, 08:22 AM
Just a question, as I haven't had a lot of time to use my nook lately,

What kinds of ebooks are available via torrent sites? Is it generally NYT bestseller schlock, or is there actually quality literature?

DJ's left nut
01-04-2011, 08:29 AM
A Kindle is going to look much more like reading from a book. The magnetic screen isn't backlit and looks just like your standard black on grey book page.

Whereas the nook is a backlit 'monitor style' readout.

I far prefer the Kindle because I hate reading off computer screens.

Bottom line: Don't buy anything before you try them. There are very real differences between the devices.

Dayze
01-04-2011, 08:32 AM
my wife got a Nook color for Christmas; she loves it. She's a huge reader and it's normal for her to go through probably 5-6 books in as many weeks.
She's been using the heck out of it.

kcgizmo
01-04-2011, 08:48 AM
For my money it was The Sharper Image - Literati Digital Reader. I bought my wife a Literati and my daughter a Kindle, the Kindle was the 6 inch screen. After three days we sent the Kindle back and my daughter took the Literati.

With the Kindle you could not adjust the contrast, and with the dark background it was more difficult to read. The Literati is color and you get the books through KOBO.COM. (a 250 million selection).The other great thing again was the price, I paid 70 dollars for the Literati, and 139 for the Kindle.

When asking about the Literati at the store (Best Buy) the sales guy stated, the Literati was new on the market and just did not have all the accessories like the Nook and Kindle, but the Literati did come with a leather book cover. One other thing the Literati has that may be of help later down the road, it has a memory card slot, so you can download to the memory card and up load to a computer or another device, did not see that feature on the Kindle.

Hands down Literati won in my household.

Pestilence
01-04-2011, 09:25 AM
I bought my wife the Nook and she fucking loves the thing. She hasn't had any problems with it since she's had it.

alnorth
01-04-2011, 10:02 AM
A Kindle is going to look much more like reading from a book. The magnetic screen isn't backlit and looks just like your standard black on grey book page.

Whereas the nook is a backlit 'monitor style' readout.

I far prefer the Kindle because I hate reading off computer screens.

Bottom line: Don't buy anything before you try them. There are very real differences between the devices.

Well, from what I could find, there are versions of the Nook that are not backlit.

But yeah I agree, if you want a good e-reader, make sure it is not backlit. Unless you read books from the bottom of a coal mine, you'll hurt your eyes staring at a backlit screen for hours a day.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
01-04-2011, 11:18 AM
i use the Kindle and love it - battery lasts forever - it is easy to use, easy to get books for through amazon - literally no complaints.

Rain Man
01-04-2011, 11:28 AM
My wife got a Kindle for Christmas and Loves it with a capital L. That said, I didn't research the other products because she asked for a Kindle and I thought she'd furrow her brow if she opened it up and it was something other than a Kindle.

The bottom line, though, is that she's very happy with the Kindle.

AirForceChief
01-04-2011, 11:38 AM
My wife bought me the Nook for Christmas. I didn't think I wanted an e-reader, but after getting it, I'm very impressed!

No back light (I have the standard Nook, not the color).
Battery lasts forever (still on the original charge).
Buying content is a breeze (wireless access).
Daily e-mails for book reviews and user tips.
Intuitive use...I'm not much of a techy and I get it.

Cool product.

mnchiefsguy
01-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Does the nook have the e-ink on it, or is that an exclusive kindle feature. The e-ink seems to make ebooks much much easier to read.

Alton deFlat
01-04-2011, 12:04 PM
A friend of mine got a Literati from Sharper Image for Christmas. Haven't had a chance to ask her how she likes it.

Pants
01-04-2011, 12:21 PM

Actually, you have a lot more freedom with the Kindle since it supports more file extensions.

Pants
01-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Does the nook have the e-ink on it, or is that an exclusive kindle feature. The e-ink seems to make ebooks much much easier to read.

They both use e-ink, the new generation of Kindles are slightly more advanced though and use the "pearl" e-ink.

jidar
01-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Neither.

I read ebooks on my cell phone.
On Android I use the Kindle app and Aldiko. When I had an Iphone I used the Kindle app and Stanza. Both are great options.

After 2 years of doing this and dozens of books I will never go back.
I know people are going to say a cell phone is too small but I strongly disagree. My wife actually read a bunch of ebooks on a Pantech Duo and that screen is tiny so she could only see a few sentences at a time. The only thing that changes is how often you have to hit the "next page" button and honestly you get used to it to the point that you never notice.

Downside is it doesn't work that well if you want to read a lot of books with illustrations (comics?). The convenience of -always- having the book you're reading with you though is HUGE. I read way more books now than I did otherwise or I would if I had to carry around another device.

jidar
01-04-2011, 12:37 PM

The best torrent site I know of for ebooks is demonoid.me
It's private though so you need an invite from an existing member... sorry I'd hook you up but I'm out of invites.

mauifan
01-04-2011, 12:56 PM
I have an old Kindle and love it.., I've more than doubled what I read since I bought it. I never tried the Nook or the i-pad, but Kindle, even the old one, is easy to download and Amazon has all the books you'll ever need.., Might be time for an upgrade.

jidar
01-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Unless you read books from the bottom of a coal mine, you'll hurt your eyes staring at a backlit screen for hours a day.

Bah

Maybe you'll strain your eyes if the font isn't big enough, in which case turn it up. Given the amount of time many of us stare at monitors and tvs I don't think reading books on a backlit screen is a legitimate concern.

Pants
01-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Bah

Maybe you'll strain your eyes if the font isn't big enough, in which case turn it up. Given the amount of time many of us stare at monitors and tvs I don't think reading books on a backlit screen is a legitimate concern.

Yeah, it might not hurt your eyes physically, but it's a lot more pleasant to read an e-book as compared to a cell phone. It's ludicrous to even compare the two. Is it possible to read a book on a phone? Sure. Is it something I would ever want to do? Not a chance.

Braincase
01-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Have a Kindle 3, love it. Came into a big library of books on .pdf. Used Mobi Pocket Creator to convert the .pdf files to ebook format, copied the files from computer to Kindle for easier reading.

mnchiefsguy
01-04-2011, 02:09 PM
I believe on the smaller kindles you have convert pdfs to the kindle format..but the larger and more expensive kindle DX will open native pdf files without conversion.

gblowfish
01-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Nookie?

GloryDayz
01-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Does anybody have a link of a matrix of what periodicals are available for each platform? I do read books, but I read magazines for more frequently, so that's a pretty big deal for me. And if I'm reading this right, I'd need the light on the plane for a Kindle, but not a Nook (either the color Nook or the non-color version)? I hate those lights on flights!

Just Passin' By
01-04-2011, 09:21 PM
"Book"

This

Buck
01-04-2011, 09:23 PM
I have a Kindle and love it. I have yet to come across a situation where I was like, "Damn this Kindle! It doesn't do __________!"

Mr. Flopnuts
01-04-2011, 09:24 PM
The best torrent site I know of for ebooks is demonoid.me
It's private though so you need an invite from an existing member... sorry I'd hook you up but I'm out of invites.

I appreciate it, but I have a membership there. And yes, that is the best site for ebooks.

grandllama
01-04-2011, 09:25 PM
I love my Kindle app on the iPad

alnorth
01-04-2011, 09:57 PM
I love my Kindle app on the iPad

Sounds cool. Its a shame you have to read on that iPad, though.

GloryDayz
01-05-2011, 05:40 PM
I got to use one of my employee's iPad today. It was $800 worth of cool. He didn't have the Kindle app on it, but it was cool nonetheless. That being said, he told me that they don't offer the "unlimited" network play for the iPad as far as he knows. so evidently his 3G provider (AT&T I'm assuming) now has some 250G per month limit. He said that would suck with movie downloads. All that being said, the rendering it did on Photo.net were pretty sweet! Then again, for $800, it better be.

Next I'd like to see the Nook-color's renderings of the same pictures on the site. Hmmmm, I gotta get out some time!

KChiefs1
01-05-2011, 05:43 PM
One of my chick friends just got the Nook Color & she loves it...said it's better than the Kindle or regular Nook.

Pawnmower
01-05-2011, 05:44 PM
I got to use one of my employee's iPad today. It was $800 worth of cool. He didn't have the Kindle app on it, but it was cool nonetheless. That being said, he told me that they don't offer the "unlimited" network play for the iPad as far as he knows. so evidently his 3G provider (AT&T I'm assuming) now has some 250G per month limit. He said that would suck with movie downloads. All that being said, the rendering it did on Photo.net were pretty sweet! Then again, for $800, it better be.

Next I'd like to see the Nook-color's renderings of the same pictures on the site. Hmmmm, I gotta get out some time!

That is only if you are using the 3g..At home or at the office it will connect to WIFI and you wont affect your monthly limit at all....Just do all your downloading ahead of time. (assuming you have a broadband connection at home/work)

Same thing goes for any of the wi-fi enabled devices...(not just IPAD)..For example with my droid, we havent come close to using the limit because we are on a wifi network the vast majority of the time.

GloryDayz
01-05-2011, 06:09 PM
That is only if you are using the 3g..At home or at the office it will connect to WIFI and you wont affect your monthly limit at all....Just do all your downloading ahead of time. (assuming you have a broadband connection at home/work)

Same thing goes for any of the wi-fi enabled devices...(not just IPAD)..For example with my droid, we havent come close to using the limit because we are on a wifi network the vast majority of the time.

Good point. Don't get me wrong, the iPad was sweet, and I'm not sure reading magazines on it would kill me either, but $800 is going to cost serious points with the wife! I was telling her $250, $300 tops. At this rate, she'll have me mowing yards or something! He11, she might cut my beer supply off..

WV
01-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Everything I've seen when talking about the iPad is that extensive reading with the back lit display is hard on your eyes.....even with that, the iPad isn't worth the $$ for me to simply be an e-reader. Obviously it would be a huge waste of money to simply use as that. It does do some incredable stuff, but at the price point it better like glory said.

I'm partial to Amazon so I'd go with the Kindle over the nook.

GloryDayz
01-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Got to see the Kindles and both Nooks today, and both are impressive. But when you walk over to the iPad, it's amazing! At the price it better be, but the "experience" of all that I used today was hands-down the iPad. But the wife didn't give the go-ahead because of the price..

Plus, none of them seemed to have a really good magazine download selection. So I'm not going to push the issue until the likes of Popular Science, more Photography, and Scuba Diving magazines make their way to the down-loadable world..

Gonzo
01-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Quick question if anyone can help out here:

Mom has an off brand e-reader and 25 bucks at amazon. Can she download kindle books on it?
Tia
Posted via Mobile Device

mnchiefsguy
01-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Not sure which e-reader I will go with myself. Leaning towards the Kindle DX, but the price tag is a bit steep. I did install the Kindle app on my laptop, and the books are pretty readable on it, so I think I will wait and see and decided come tax refund time.

Pawnmower
01-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Quick question if anyone can help out here:

Mom has an off brand e-reader and 25 bucks at amazon. Can she download kindle books on it?

What brand/model is it, sexy pants?