PDA

View Full Version : Money Mega Millions: $355 Million

Buck
01-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Residents of AR AZ CA CO CT DC DE GA IA ID IL IN KS KY MD MA ME MI MN MO MT NC NE ND NH NJ NM NY OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX VT VA WA WI WV can play.

Go get your tickets.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-04-2011, 04:36 PM
42 fucking states. That is as close to a nationwide lottery as you can get.

mlyonsd
01-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Bought mine tonight. I promise to throw a bash at my house if I win. BYOB though.

Pestilence
01-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Buying my tickets after work today.

JASONSAUTO
01-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Shit I'm headed out to get some now....
Posted via Mobile Device

Pestilence
01-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Honestly I don't know why I buy tickets to this shit. I know some redneck in the South is going to win it all.

chiefqueen
01-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Is there anyway I could get the numbers ahead of time. My evaluation is in the morning. It is going to be very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, ugly and I would like to retire beforehand and not have to sit through it.

Just Passin' By
01-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Honestly I don't know why I buy tickets to this shit. I know some redneck in the South is going to win it all.

For $355 million, I'm willing to move to Alabama and lose some teeth.

mlyonsd
01-04-2011, 04:53 PM
For $355 million, I'm willing to move to Alabama and lose some teeth.

For that kind of money you could get somebody to chew your food for you.

Donger
01-04-2011, 04:56 PM
I don't like voluntary taxes.

Bwana
01-04-2011, 04:58 PM
I got a ticket. If I win, I will buy you a top notch showerhead. Fuck it, I will buy you a new toe!

mlyonsd
01-04-2011, 05:00 PM
I don't like voluntary taxes.It's not voluntary. You can't win if you don't play.

Pestilence
If I win....I'll post on here more than I do now.

Donger
It's not voluntary. You can't win if you don't play.

LMAO

WV
01-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Lottery = Taxation on the Mathematically Challenged.

DaFace
01-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Not that I really play in the first place, but I've always thought that going after it when the money is high is kind of counterproductive. I mean, the difference in expected lifestyle (relative to where you are today) between winning $10 million and $500 million is pretty small. I think I'd prefer putting my money toward a larger chance of winning a "little" money rather than a smaller chance at winning a "lot" of money.

Pants
01-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Lottery = Taxation on the Mathematically Challenged.

Hey man, someone ALWAYS wins it. I haven't bought a ticket in years, but I think I will just to prove you wrong. :D

Pants
01-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Not that I really play in the first place, but I've always thought that going after it when the money is high is kind of counterproductive. I mean, the difference in expected lifestyle (relative to where you are today) between winning $10 million and $500 million is pretty small. I think I'd prefer putting my money toward a larger chance of winning a "little" money rather than a smaller chance at winning a "lot" of money.

I want to have enough to live off interest alone without having to work ever again. :)

Rain Man
01-04-2011, 05:10 PM
They have this in Colorado? I'm in. I wonder where I buy them.

DaFace
I want to have enough to live off interest alone without having to work ever again. :)

$10m would give you $100k in interest per year (assuming the economy eventually stops sucking). That's plenty for me.

WV
Hey man, someone ALWAYS wins it. I haven't bought a ticket in years, but I think I will just to prove you wrong. :D

I'd love to win as much as the next guy, but I don't play much and this was one of my favorite quotes from my Physics Profesor in College. Remember me if you do win though! :p

kstater

Just bought 5.

:grovel: :grovel:

Rain Man
01-04-2011, 05:11 PM

If you think that two chicks at the same time isn't that different than 18 chicks at the same time, maybe you have a point.

kstater
01-04-2011, 05:12 PM

Aren't your odds the same whether the jackpot is big or small? Aren't you a numbers guy?

mlyonsd
They have this in Colorado? I'm in. I wonder where I buy them.

PayPal me $20 and I'll give you your numbers. Tomorrow.

Pants
$10m would give you $100k in interest per year (assuming the economy eventually stops sucking). That's plenty for me.

Good call, DaFace. Good call.

WV
01-04-2011, 05:13 PM
If you think that two chicks at the same time isn't that different than 18 chicks at the same time, maybe you have a point.
:p

Peter Gibbons: What would you do if you had a million dollars?
Lawrence: I'll tell you what I'd do, man: two chicks at the same time, man.
Peter Gibbons: That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd do two chicks at the same time?
Lawrence: Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I were a millionaire I could hook that up, too; 'cause chicks dig dudes with money.
Peter Gibbons: Well, not all chicks.
Lawrence: Well, the type of chicks that'd double up on a dude like me do.
Peter Gibbons: Good point.
Lawrence: Well, what about you now? what would you do?
Peter Gibbons: Besides two chicks at the same time?
Lawrence: Well, yeah.
Peter Gibbons: Nothing.
Lawrence: Nothing, huh?
Peter Gibbons: I would relax... I would sit on my ass all day... I would do nothing.
Lawrence: Well, you don't need a million dollars to do nothing, man. Take a look at my cousin: he's broke, don't do shit.

DaFace
01-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Aren't your odds the same whether the jackpot is big or small? Aren't you a numbers guy?

I dunno. I don't really know how these games work. I think I bought a lotto ticket back on my 18th birthday, but I can't recall. My assumption is that having more people means there's more of a chance that someone else would win, but you're probably right if this is one of the "pick the numbers exactly right" games.

Pants
01-04-2011, 05:14 PM
I'd love to win as much as the next guy, but I don't play much and this was one of my favorite quotes from my Physics Profesor in College. Remember me if you do win though! :p

Haha, gotcha.

kstater
01-04-2011, 05:14 PM
I dunno. I don't really know how these games work. I think I bought a lotto ticket back on my 18th birthday, but I can't recall.

5 numbers from one pool of 56 and 1 number from a separate pool of 45.

Pick all 6 for the jackpot.

kstater
01-04-2011, 05:15 PM
FTR this is the first one I've ever played in.

DaFace
01-04-2011, 05:16 PM
5 numbers from one pool of 56 and 1 number from a separate pool of 45.

Pick all 6 for the jackpot.

Ah. Then yeah, you're probably right (aside from the increased chance you'd have to split the pot with someone).

WHOOOO LOTTO TICKETS!!!!

Pestilence
01-04-2011, 05:16 PM
The real question is.....

Do more people win on quick picks? Or is it those bastards that play the same numbers every week for 20 years?

Pants
01-04-2011, 05:17 PM
OK, someone tells you: "Push this button and there's a 10% of you instantly dying and a 90% of you winning $355 million." Do you push it?

Pants

Do more people win on quick picks? Or is it those bastards that play the same numbers every week for 20 years?

The odds are the same in either situation.

kstater
OK, someone tells you: "Push this button and there's a 10% of you instantly dying and a 90% of you winning $355 million." Do you push it?

I've lived a good life.

DaFace
01-04-2011, 05:18 PM

Again, I don't do this in the first place, but...hell no. Studies have shown that lotto winners end up broke and unhappy more often than not anyway.

Pants
01-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Again, I don't do this in the first place, but...hell no. Studies have shown that lotto winners end up broke and unhappy more often than not anyway.

That's because, like someone alluded earlier in the thread, it's always the toothless redneck winning the big ones. I can guarantee you that I would NOT be going broke after winning tens of millions of dollars.

Pestilence
01-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Seriously.....give me $250 million dollars in one lump sum....and I would be living WELL below my means.

You wouldn't see me with 10 houses and 50 cars. I'd have 2 houses and maybe 3-4 cars. I'd end up giving a good amount of money to my family and my wife's families.....plus college would be paid for my kids and my nieces and nephews.

BillSelfsTrophycase
01-04-2011, 05:26 PM

Maybe, but they were probably in the same position beforehand also...I think the 355 million dollar ride in between might be worth it

mlyonsd
01-04-2011, 05:28 PM
I've lived a good life.And if you die I want to be the next in line to push it.

kstater
01-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Maybe, but they were probably in the same position beforehand also...I think the 355 million dollar ride in between might be worth it

Exactly. You know how many $10 hookers I could spend that on?

Goldmember
01-04-2011, 05:30 PM

That's funny, here in NoCal someone always says some illegal alien in SoCal will win it anyway.

Pestilence
01-04-2011, 05:32 PM
That's funny, here in NoCal someone always says some illegal alien in SoCal will win it anyway.

Where in NorCal are you?

Mr. Flopnuts
01-04-2011, 05:33 PM

In a heartbeat. You could increase those odds of death and I'd seriously consider it.

Extra Point
01-04-2011, 05:34 PM
I'm in! For all of $2!

Goldmember
01-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Where in NorCal are you?

San Ramon, moving to KC next week though...been here 22 years

Stinger
01-04-2011, 05:36 PM

Nope .... I say honey come here and push this button. Either I get rich or save a whole bunch of money..... win win.

WV

I don't remember where I read it, but there is a guy who's won multiple lotteries (that now sells books on getting rich I think) and he claims the odds are better when you play the same numbers every week. Makes sense to me.

Chief Chief
For that kind of money you could get somebody to chew your food for you.

Yeah, but you'd still have to swallow it.

DaFace
01-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Nope .... I say honey come here and push this button. Either I get rich or save a whole bunch of money..... win win.

Heh.

Sent from my Optimus S using Tapatalk.

CrazyPhuD
01-04-2011, 05:39 PM
The odds are the same in either situation.

Well yes and no...no matter how you pick your numbers the odds of winning are the same(well assuming the drawing mechanism is random/fair). However how you pick your numbers could impact the probability that you share the pot. If the quick pick isn't fair then you'll have an increased chance to share the pot.

Still it's a bad probability draw around.

lotteries are the biggest scams around. Aside from the odds of winning(which we've discussed ad nasium). They usually get them passed by saying oh the money will go to the schools or the elderly and who wouldn't want to help them out? What they don't tell you is that most of the money the lottery raises for those causes is then removed from the amount they would fund if there was no lottery and put back into the general fund. So net you generally have very little change in the funding of the groups the lottery helps and more money in the general pool.

Of course the selfish part of me says we need more lotteries! The more lotteries we have the less money I'll pay in taxes!:p

Now what we really need is an immigration lottery. Pay X per ticket one winner gets a green card. 5 'winners' get deported. The problem is when you have the winning ticket you won't know which winner you are until you go to claim it. This would be a win win all around. Raises revenue, gives illegals a path to citizenship and reduces the number of illegals in the country.

Pants
01-04-2011, 05:39 PM

LMAO

BigMeatballDave
01-04-2011, 05:43 PM
I spent $5.

KC Jones
01-04-2011, 05:43 PM
I joined the pool at work. I realize they won't win, but I couldn't live with it if they did and I was one of the unlucky bastards left behind trying to hire and train their replacements. So to me it's a cheap catastrophe insurance policy.

mlyonsd
01-04-2011, 05:45 PM
I joined the pool at work. I realize they won't win, but I couldn't live with it if they did and I was one of the unlucky bastards left behind trying to hire and train their replacements. So to me it's a cheap catastrophe insurance policy.

ROFL So true.

BigMeatballDave
01-04-2011, 05:46 PM
If I win....I'll post on here more than I do now.Same here, but from the Caymens or someplace like that.:thumb:

Ugly Duck
01-04-2011, 05:47 PM
In for $10. If I win, I'll come to Arrowhead for the next Raider victory over the Chiefs & buy beer for all the Planeteers.

Hey - when was the last time KC beat OAK @ Arrowhead?

Mr. Flopnuts
01-04-2011, 05:49 PM
In for $10. If I win, I'll come to Arrowhead for the next Raider victory over the Chiefs & buy beer for all the Planeteers.

Hey - when was the last time KC beat OAK @ Arrowhead?

LMAO It wasn't that long ago dude. Even after your sweep, you're still something like 12-30 against us in the last 20 years. Congrats on finally starting to do your part in this rivalry again. Tell us how the mock drafts look this weekend. We'll be busy cheering for a playoff team.

BigMeatballDave
01-04-2011, 05:52 PM

Do more people win on quick picks? Or is it those bastards that play the same numbers every week for 20 years?From what I've read on it, it doesnt matter.

BigMeatballDave
01-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Again, I don't do this in the first place, but...hell no. Studies have shown that lotto winners end up broke and unhappy more often than not anyway.A lot of stupid lottery winners.

I'd give a large chunk of it to family and friends.

Groves
01-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Wasn't their a national lottery in Dragonslayer?

BigMeatballDave
01-04-2011, 05:59 PM
That's because, like someone alluded earlier in the thread, it's always the toothless redneck winning the big ones. I can guarantee you that I would NOT be going broke after winning tens of millions of dollars.Not kidding. I'd be looking for ways to invest and making most of the people I know rich. :thumb:

DaFace
01-04-2011, 06:00 PM
A lot of stupid lottery winners.

I'd give a large chunk of it to family and friends.

That's part of why people who win go nuts. Anyone you barely know will be asking for handouts.

Sent from my Optimus S using Tapatalk.

ChiefsCountry
01-04-2011, 06:01 PM
I went out and bought a ticket.

Saulbadguy
01-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Complete waste of money.

BigMeatballDave
01-04-2011, 06:05 PM

Hey - when was the last time KC beat OAK @ Arrowhead?Like 4 yrs ago. Before this season, the Chiefs had won in Oak 7 straight. :thumb: Dont make me pull up stats from the 90s. We owned your asses then. :)

BigMeatballDave
01-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Complete waste of money.So no one ever wins?

BigMeatballDave
01-04-2011, 06:07 PM
That's part of why people who win go nuts. Anyone you barely know will be asking for handouts.

Sent from my Optimus S using Tapatalk.I would be hiring me a bodyguard. :)

alnorth
01-04-2011, 06:08 PM
I don't remember where I read it, but there is a guy who's won multiple lotteries (that now sells books on getting rich I think) and he claims the odds are better when you play the same numbers every week. Makes sense to me.

It shouldn't make sense because it is obviously wrong.

KC_Lee
01-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Got my ticket, it was a mad house at the convenience store.

alnorth

correlation does not equal causation. Or in this case, you've got the wrong correlation. People who play the lottery tend to be broke dumbasses who cant handle money. Every once in a while you get someone halfway intelligent with some semblence of a backbone who wins the lottery and they do fine.

To the people talking about a lottery being tax, you are right in general and I dont buy $10 of scratchers every day. But its a one dollar buy-in for a $355MM jackpot. I think I can afford to throw away a dollar.

Bwana
Complete waste of money.

Tell that to the person who wins.

BigMeatballDave
It shouldn't make sense because it is obviously wrong.Yep. The numbers are drawn from the same set of numbers.

Also, what greedy fucker wins the lottery and keeps playing?

Hog Farmer
01-04-2011, 06:13 PM
If I win I'm gonna buy Invesco field and raise pigs there. and John elway is gonna be my jerker.

ChiefsCountry
01-04-2011, 06:13 PM
Yep. The numbers are drawn from the same set of numbers.

Also, what greedy ****er wins the lottery and keeps playing?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38126776/ns/us_news-wonderful_world/

WV
01-04-2011, 06:14 PM
It shouldn't make sense because it is obviously wrong.

Picking the same set of numbers each time should increase your chances simply because it takes some of the randomness out of the equation. Letting the machine pick your numbers is completely random each and every time, with this method I would think your odds go down not up.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-04-2011, 06:14 PM
I broke down and dropped a 5 spot on them.

kstater
01-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Picking the same set of numbers each time should increase your chances simply because it takes some of the randomness out of the equation. Letting the machine pick your numbers is completely random each and every time, with this method I would think your odds go down not up.

The American School system ladies and gents.

Braincase
01-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Complete waste of money.

Perhaps, but the odds of winning are INFINITELY worse when you don't buy a ticket.

KCUnited
01-04-2011, 06:16 PM
I buy one of these when it gets up there, but I feel dirty with the scratchers.

Hog Farmer
01-04-2011, 06:18 PM
What's the big deal of playing when it's 355 million vrs 55 million. I mean really! The odds are much higher you won't win.

BigMeatballDave
01-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Picking the same set of numbers each time should increase your chances simply because it takes some of the randomness out of the equation. Letting the machine pick your numbers is completely random each and every time, with this method I would think your odds go down not up.Nope. Its a fact that most winners do quick pick. Its completely random and it does not matter.

Marcellus
01-04-2011, 06:22 PM
What's the big deal of playing when it's 355 million vrs 55 million. I mean really! The odds are much higher you won't win.

Actually, not true.

Think about how the numbers are drawn and then explain how it matters how many people play.

BigMeatballDave
01-04-2011, 06:23 PM
If I win I'm gonna buy Invesco field and raise pigs there. and John elway is gonna be my jerker.:LOL:

bevischief
01-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Well yes and no...no matter how you pick your numbers the odds of winning are the same(well assuming the drawing mechanism is random/fair). However how you pick your numbers could impact the probability that you share the pot. If the quick pick isn't fair then you'll have an increased chance to share the pot.

Still it's a bad probability draw around.

lotteries are the biggest scams around. Aside from the odds of winning(which we've discussed ad nasium). They usually get them passed by saying oh the money will go to the schools or the elderly and who wouldn't want to help them out? What they don't tell you is that most of the money the lottery raises for those causes is then removed from the amount they would fund if there was no lottery and put back into the general fund. So net you generally have very little change in the funding of the groups the lottery helps and more money in the general pool.

Of course the selfish part of me says we need more lotteries! The more lotteries we have the less money I'll pay in taxes!:p

Now what we really need is an immigration lottery. Pay X per ticket one winner gets a green card. 5 'winners' get deported. The problem is when you have the winning ticket you won't know which winner you are until you go to claim it. This would be a win win all around. Raises revenue, gives illegals a path to citizenship and reduces the number of illegals in the country.

This is the first good idea I have heard all day.

bevischief
01-04-2011, 06:26 PM

That is my thought as well.:LOL:

Ugly Duck
01-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Dont make me pull up stats from the 90s. We owned your asses then. :)

You are so kind - not nearly as bad a guy as everyone says you are...

Hog Farmer
01-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Actually, not true.

Think about how the numbers are drawn and then explain how it matters how many people play.

I guess what I mean to say is that the more tickets that are sold the odds of winning the lump sum without sharing are much lower.

Just Passin' By
01-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Complete waste of money.

A couple of bucks every once in a while gets you some fantasy minutes where you enjoy thinking about what you'd do with the money. If you hit the numbers, you're rich.

Seems to me like a win/win as long as you're not dropping big money on it every week.

alnorth
01-04-2011, 06:30 PM

This is also why slot machines make money.

The slot machine and the lotto ball machine do not have a memory. Slot machines dont know that they are on a "cold streak" or "hot streak" or whether they "are due", they just randomly play the game.

The lotto machine has no idea what happened last week. I understand what you are saying, you are implying that the lotto wont hit the same numbers twice, so you are better off picking your patch of dirt and staying put on those numbers until it is "their turn" to be drawn.

I agree the odds are very small, but the same numbers can be drawn again, and eventually it will. (if the lottery runs for enough centuries, anyway). The lotto machine has no clue that it already picked a certain set of numbers 6 years and 2 months ago, it just draws the numbers. Last week's numbers has just as much of a chance as your numbers. (Though I wouldnt pick last week's numbers because even if you win you are very likely to split several ways)

Mr. Flopnuts
01-04-2011, 06:31 PM
A couple of bucks every once in a while gets you some fantasy minutes where you enjoy thinking about what you'd do with the money. If you hit the numbers, you're rich.

Seems to me like a win/win as long as you're not dropping big money on it every week.

That's a good way to look at it, and exactly my perspective on it. I spend about $20 a year on the lottery, and I'm the gambling type to begin with.

A couple of bucks here and there is worth some solid daydreaming, and you never know, some lucky dog is gonna win it.

Marcellus
01-04-2011, 06:31 PM
I guess what I mean to say is that the more tickets that are sold the odds of winning the lump sum without sharing are much lower.

Gotcha.

$355 Million, I could share with a couple people. :thumb:

alnorth
01-04-2011, 06:37 PM

true. at some point your expected value will stabilize, and for each extra million thrown into the pot, the more tickets that are sold and the likelier it is you are going to split. (vs when you play with a new low $20MM jackpot, sure you probably wont split but the payout is too low to make up for that compared to how it would work now.)

But at least we pretty well know for a fact that the expected value is now stable and you are not going to see a higher EV next week. To put it another way, we are pretty confident that you wont split the jackpot 16 different ways, so its still better than the first week. (assuming it was 20 million, I have no idea)

WV
01-04-2011, 06:37 PM
The American School system ladies and gents.

It is random each time and yes your odds likely aren't better atall, but it seems to make more sense logically speaking.

And sorry if I failed Lotto 101, it was an elective!

And....nlm

JD10367
01-04-2011, 06:49 PM

This. In a land where we pay over $3 for a gallon of gas, drop $4 for a coffee at Starbucks, and don't bat an eye at $70+ sporting event or concert tickets, for a relatively measly price I get a few days of fantasization until the numbers are called. And, as pointed out... SOMEONE has to win.

JD10367
01-04-2011, 06:52 PM
This is also why slot machines make money.

The slot machine and the lotto ball machine do not have a memory. Slot machines dont know that they are on a "cold streak" or "hot streak" or whether they "are due", they just randomly play the game.

Well, not exactly. There's absolutely nothing random about today's slot machines. They're all computer-controlled and set for specific payback percentages. The old-style machines which were all mechanical, those were based on odds (except, of course, most of them were fixed so you couldn't get the jackpot payout, LOL).

alnorth
01-04-2011, 06:54 PM
It is random each time and yes your odds likely aren't better atall, but it seems to make more sense logically speaking.

And sorry if I failed Lotto 101, it was an elective!

And....nlm

no problem, and you wont get a snide remark from me. Another reason why slot machines make money is that in a weirdly intuitive but illogical way, it makes sense to us that there must always be some discernable pattern we can exploit. It is human nature, we are instinctively unable to handle unexplained randomness very well. In everything, we look for explanations, reasons, patterns that we can understand.

Not to get all deep and philosophical in a simple fun lottery thread or anything, but when some good person dies in a freak accident, we want someone else to be at fault. We also want to rationalize it away that "God needed them" or whatever. Hearing that "random sh*t just happens" is a very unsatisfying answer. When some random person is murdered we want to learn that the person somehow had it coming to them, that they were in a gang, or they "started it", or did something stupid. Hearing that the victim was a good person like you who never met the murderer and it was just simply random violence freaks us the hell out.

alnorth
01-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Well, not exactly. There's absolutely nothing random about today's slot machines. They're all computer-controlled and set for specific payback percentages. The old-style machines which were all mechanical, those were based on odds (except, of course, most of them were fixed so you couldn't get the jackpot payout, LOL).

well yeah, but "pick a number between one and a zillion" is still a game. There's probably still some old, old school slots around somewhere.

I understand that in today's slot machines the machine knows immediately as soon as you press the button whether you've won or not, the rest of it is just for show. Even the ones that seem like they have spinning wheels, the machines already know where to put those wheels the microsecond you push "play".

JD10367
01-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Another reason why slot machines make money is that in a weirdly intuitive but illogical way, it makes sense to us that there must always be some discernable pattern we can exploit.

Only in the sense that people have theories about when and where machines pay out. Which may or may not be true. Some people think they set the machines near the casino entrances, stores, and food areas to pay out more often (but probably in lesser amounts). I would also not be surprised if they set machines in a newer, more popular part of the casino to "take" more, and "give" more in boring dark corners. By national law, the casinos in NV and NJ must pay back a certain percentage, usually rising with the dollar amount of the machines (e.g. pennies pay out 89%, nickels pay out 90%, quarters pay out 92%, dollar machines pay out 94%). But I think they can decide how the machines spread that out.

Where they DO hook you, though, is by displaying "almost" wins. Like, you get a Jackpot symbol on the top line, and then four Jackpot symbols on one line below, and you think, "Ooh! I almost won!" No you didn't. The machine knows exactly what it's doing. As soon as you press the button the computer decides what the wheels will display and if you win or not.

Another misconception is that if you play a machine, and stop, and move to the machine next to it, and no one sits at the machine you left for a half-hour, and then someone comes in and puts money in and hits, you think, "Ooh, I'm so mad! That could've been MY jackpot if I only played one more spin!" Not true. You would've had to continue to play that machine, because the computer inside actually keeps "playing" in its own mind. If you walk up to a machine that isn't being played, and were able to "listen" to the CPU, you'd hear it whispering payouts continuously... "nothing, nothing, half a buck, nothing, nothing, two bucks, a buck, nothing, fifty bucks, nothing, nothing, two hundred bucks, nothing, a buck, nothing, nothing, a thousand bucks, nothing..." Like I said, when you put money in and press "SPIN" it knows immediately what it's paying you; you just have to be lucky enough to press "SPIN" as it's thinking "a thousand bucks".

JD10367
01-04-2011, 07:05 PM
well yeah, but "pick a number between one and a zillion" is still a game. There's probably still some old, old school slots around somewhere.

I understand that in today's slot machines the machine knows immediately as soon as you press the button whether you've won or not, the rest of it is just for show. Even the ones that seem like they have spinning wheels, the machines already know where to put those wheels the microsecond you push "play".

Ayup. It's funny, 'cause quite a few years ago they tried to switch from mechanical machines to computerized machines with TV screens, and people didn't like them, so they went back to the mechanicals but in "face" only, keeping the CPUs to run the machines. Now, though, with the computer generation of people who grew up playing videogames, the computerized machines with cartoon bonus rounds are the popular ones. They do still keep some "wheel" machines around for the old-school players, though.

Buck
01-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Just did a $20 quick pick.

Rain Man
01-04-2011, 07:09 PM

That's my gig. I'll buy a few tickets whenever the dollar amounts get big, and it's worth it just to go through in my head and figure out how much my take-home would be and what my budget would be every month. That's worth the money, and winning it would be gravy on top. Really, really good gravy with diamonds and stuff in it.

WV
01-04-2011, 07:14 PM
A little off topic, but the local chain gas station type store here (Sheetz) won't let you buy lotto tickets with your Debit card?? Found that strange and it also costs them money in the end because I rarely carry cash.

I also simply hate going in and paying, so that's another reason I don't play often. It's just too easy to use my card at the pump.

alnorth
01-04-2011, 07:27 PM
A little off topic, but the local chain gas station type store here (Sheetz) won't let you buy lotto tickets with your Debit card?? Found that strange and it also costs them money in the end because I rarely carry cash.

I also simply hate going in and paying, so that's another reason I don't play often. It's just too easy to use my card at the pump.

thats not weird, its SOP most gas stations I've been to. Now I just presume that I'll need a bill to buy the ticket.

mlyonsd
01-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Just did a $20 quick pick.

This is why charger fans are stupid.

It's all about karma. If you're going to win you will on $1.

If you win on $20 you just lost $19 in the deal. DA

Saulbadguy
01-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Perhaps, but the odds of winning are INFINITELY worse when you don't buy a ticket.

I agree with that. I don't mind people playing, it seems fun. What I don't understand are the people who buy multiple tickets.

Saulbadguy
01-04-2011, 07:39 PM

I can enjoy that fantasy without wasting my money. I don't think spending a buck or two (whatever 1 single ticket costs these days), but I think it is very foolish to buy more than one ticket for a single drawing.

WV
01-04-2011, 07:41 PM
thats not weird, its SOP most gas stations I've been to. Now I just presume that I'll need a bill to buy the ticket.

Guess it's just me....I never carry cash and thought it was weird they wouldn't take my debit card. I think it's a commy plot! :)

BigMeatballDave
01-04-2011, 08:02 PM
The downside of winning is the dangers that come with it. If I won, I'd move far away from Ohio.

Just Passin' By
01-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Guess it's just me....I never carry cash and thought it was weird they wouldn't take my debit card. I think it's a commy plot! :)

Stash a $20 bill under your ashtray. Then, anytime something comes up, you've got cash on hand.

Brock
01-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Stash a $20 bill under your ashtray. Then, anytime something comes up, you've got cash on hand.

Or you could carry it in your wallet!

Rain Man
01-04-2011, 08:08 PM
The downside of winning is the dangers that come with it. If I won, I'd move far away from Ohio.

It's not really that dangerous to live outside Ohio. There are very few wild animals any more.

Rain Man
01-04-2011, 08:09 PM

Otter should probably disregard this.

BIG_DADDY
01-04-2011, 08:13 PM
I can enjoy that fantasy without wasting my money. I don't think spending a buck or two (whatever 1 single ticket costs these days), but I think it is very foolish to buy more than one ticket for a single drawing.

The guy in front of me dumped $80. This fool went for the $10 ride. If I win I'll make you a lifetime member of the NRA and buy you a 3 year membership of Guns and Ammo.

WV
01-04-2011, 08:17 PM
The guy in front of me dumped $80. This fool went for the $10 ride. If I win I'll make you a lifetime member of the NRA and buy you a 3 year membership of Guns and Ammo.

Cool....can I get a lifetime hunting license??? Please?

Extra Point
01-04-2011, 08:20 PM
If I won, I'd buy the Royals franchise. With all the casino cash I could muster, after having afforded all the time in the world to play Let it Ride.

BigMeatballDave
01-04-2011, 08:21 PM
It's not really that dangerous to live outside Ohio. There are very few wild animals any more.:LOL:

David.
01-04-2011, 08:44 PM
the gas station attendant said no one won, and the drawing was over. I think he just didn't want to sell me one.

Pawnmower
01-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Just got mah tickets mofokkers

Marcellus
01-04-2011, 08:46 PM
15 minutes to millions!

Braincase
01-04-2011, 09:04 PM
And now, for your video pleasure... The Vapors.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gEmJ-VWPDM4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gEmJ-VWPDM4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Buck
01-04-2011, 09:09 PM
I guarantee you that hundreds if not thousands of people got 4/6 right because they played the Lost numbers.

The final numbers were

4 8 15 25 47 42

The Bolded ones were the lost numbers.

BigMeatballDave
01-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Still poor

Dante84
01-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Is it sad that I'm bummed I didn't win?

Yeah. it is. :(

Mr. Flopnuts
01-04-2011, 09:19 PM
I guarantee you that hundreds if not thousands of people got 4/6 right because they played the Lost numbers.

The final numbers were

4 8 15 25 47 42

The Bolded ones were the lost numbers.

OH MY FUCKING GOD

Buck
01-04-2011, 09:20 PM
OH MY FUCKING GOD

I'm just saying, there are 1000s of nerds who just won thousands of dollars.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-04-2011, 09:21 PM
I'm just saying, there are 1000s of nerds who just won thousands of dollars.

Actually, if someone picked those numbers, and actually got the powerball number right in that sequence, they won a whopping $150. My post was in jest as if I had won. Obviously, I didn't.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-04-2011, 09:22 PM
My tickets were free though. I bought 2 when the jackpot was a paltry $150 million or so, and I won $7. So I invested my $5 windfall into tonight's drawing. Now I'm back to even. Oh well.

Rain Man
01-04-2011, 09:23 PM
The drawing was tonight? I didn't get my tickets! Do over.

alnorth
no gold-plated jets for me.

Buck
Actually, if someone picked those numbers, and actually got the powerball number right in that sequence, they won a whopping $150. My post was in jest as if I had won. Obviously, I didn't.

Oh its only $150? I thought 4 numbers got you more than that. Where do you find out how much you get if you got a certain amount of numbers?

Mr. Flopnuts
01-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Oh its only $150? I thought 4 numbers got you more than that. Where do you find out how much you get if you got a certain amount of numbers?

Check your state's lottery page. They'll break down wins and what they're worth.

Buck
01-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Check your state's lottery page. They'll break down wins and what they're worth.

In CA it says $145 for the last drawing, but I assumed that since the jackpot was much higher, that that would also be higher.

Pestilence
01-04-2011, 09:28 PM
I WON $2!!!!!!!!!

But I spent $10.

:facepalm:

Mr. Flopnuts
01-04-2011, 09:28 PM
I WON $2!!!!!!!!!

But I spent $10.

:facepalm:

I didn't "win" shit. And you still lost more than me. :evil:

Buck
01-04-2011, 09:29 PM
I hope nobody wins so I can hope and dream again next week.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-04-2011, 09:29 PM
In CA it says $145 for the last drawing, but I assumed that since the jackpot was much higher, that that would also be higher.

I'm showing in MO, it's a flat $150 regardless of jackpot size.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-04-2011, 09:30 PM

I'm with you dude. If they're not buying me a Mercedes, fuck em. I hope they lose and I can dream all over again in 3 days.

alnorth
01-04-2011, 09:32 PM

nope, everything goes to the jackpot.

tk13
01-04-2011, 09:34 PM

Listening to an interview with the guy who hosts the drawing on the radio this afternoon... he said the next drawing is Friday, if nobody wins it'll be $480 million.

Just Passin' By
01-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Listening to an interview with the guy who hosts the drawing on the radio this afternoon... he said the next drawing is Friday, if nobody wins it'll be $480 million.

Well, I didn't win, so here's to it hitting $480 million. Hell, at that amount, I might even be willing to share.

alnorth
01-04-2011, 09:35 PM
I'm showing in MO, it's a flat $150 regardless of jackpot size.

Knowing the wonderful financial shape Cali is in, I bet that state somehow legally stole a small piece of the winnings.

CA: "Congratulations, you won $145"!
CA resident who hasn't left the state yet for some reason: "but I thought it was $150?"
CA: "No, you are mistaken, in our state you win $145! Congratulations!"
CA Resident: "But..."
CA: "We have over a $20B deficit, that Lincoln is ours. Scram, you selfish pig."

ChiefsCountry
01-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Hopefully nobody won tonight. That jackpot on Friday would let me get Kansas City a NBA team. :)

Mr. Laz
01-04-2011, 09:44 PM
might as well of just used that $10 bill to wipe my ass

DaFace
01-04-2011, 09:48 PM
So...did I win?

tk13
01-04-2011, 09:49 PM
So...did I win?

Only if you buy a new server that's so fast it posts your comment before you hit enter.

alnorth
01-04-2011, 09:50 PM
hah, just researched it a bit more, and California is just straight-up weird. They aren't confiscating some winnings, they just wanted to make it more complicated by paying out everything based on a parimutual system. Some of the lower bets pay out slightly more, some pay out less. If someone wins the jackpot in CA, the jackpot would probably be cut down so that the lower prizes could be increased for that drawing.

LocoChiefsFan
01-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Megamillions.com needs the Chiefsplanet server. Its crashed right now.

dirk digler
01-04-2011, 09:51 PM
I WON I WON I WON...woohoo

$3.00

Psyko Tek
01-04-2011, 10:10 PM
hit no numbers

Pawnmower
01-05-2011, 01:37 AM
im way too drunk too look at my numbers

shit i duno where they are

Pants
01-05-2011, 08:37 AM
IN YOUR FACE DOUBTERS! I WON $10! HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT 1000% RETURN ON MY INVESTMENT? BOP! BOP! BOP!

You guys need to help me come up with ways to spend that SICK $9.

Pestilence
01-05-2011, 12:21 PM
According to a gas station attendant I just talked to this morning.....

Two people have won the jackpot. One in Idaho and one in Washington.

38yrsfan
01-05-2011, 12:51 PM
I buy my tickets in Post Falls, ID but we didn't win ..... closest it has ever been!

kepp
01-05-2011, 01:14 PM
I would have won $10 in one of last month's drawings.