PDA

View Full Version : Misc Things that are a must see in Mesa/Phoenix

damaticous
01-04-2011, 08:34 PM
So, I'm in Mesa visiting my parents for vacation this week.

Been up in Superstitious Mountains (Pretty cool but like the mountains at Steven Pass, WA better)
Went to some ghost town, The name was Gold something or another.
Tomorrow we are going horseback riding then going to "The Hitching Post" bar and listening to a Johnny Cash singer ("Roy E. Cash")
Thursday we are going to lunch at some pizza joint that has the worlds largest organ (The kind that is played in a church)
We went to some swap meet but plan on doing that again on Saturday.

I was thinking of taking a Missile silo tour down south somewhere.

But I wanted to see if anyone here knew of any other fun or interesting things to see/do in Mesa or around the area. Something within 2-3 hours of Mesa would be great!

Thank you

HonestChieffan
01-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Many hotties.

WebGem
01-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Sluggo's Grill (if you're there for the playoff game).

Psyko Tek
01-04-2011, 08:43 PM
ORGAN STOP PIZZA!!!!!
be prepared for some of the worse piza you have ever had in your life
and MUPPETS DANCING TO A BALL PARK ORGAN

I live 1/2 mile north of there

I don't know if the mormon christmas light show is still going at the temple but it's semi cool
tempe town lake???
most of the good stuff was last week
you been to goldfield...
MYSTERY CASTLE AT SOUTH MOUNTAIN

http://www.google.com/images?q=mystery+castle&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=dtojTdnSGYuosQPf3ezmCg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CD0QsAQwAg&biw=1280&bih=837

http://phoenix.about.com/od/attractionsandevents/ss/mysterycastle.htm

dunno let me think

NewChief
01-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Taliesin West is cool if you're into architecture at all.

jAZ
01-04-2011, 08:45 PM
So, I'm in Mesa visiting my parents for vacation this week.

Been up in Superstitious Mountains (Pretty cool but like the mountains at Steven Pass, WA better)
Went to some ghost town, The name was Gold something or another.
Tomorrow we are going horseback riding then going to "The Hitching Post" bar and listening to a Johnny Cash singer ("Roy E. Cash")
Thursday we are going to lunch at some pizza joint that has the worlds largest organ (The kind that is played in a church)
We went to some swap meet but plan on doing that again on Saturday.

I was thinking of taking a Missile silo tour down south somewhere.

But I wanted to see if anyone here knew of any other fun or interesting things to see/do in Mesa or around the area. Something within 2-3 hours of Mesa would be great!

Thank you
I would do Biosphere 2 (closest to Phx) or the Pima Air Museum (further). Also if you want to go 3 hours+ there's Tombstone.

I'd really consider the Grand Canyon if you can swing it. But I bet it's more than 3 hours even from Mesa.

Psyko Tek
01-04-2011, 08:47 PM
phoenix zoo ain't bad this time of year the animals actually move around some
if ASU is back in session lunch and beer on the patio at the chuck wagon

Psyko Tek
01-04-2011, 08:48 PM
I would do Biosphere 2 (closest to Phx) or the Pima Air Museum (further). Also if you want to go 3 hours+ there's Tombstone.

I'd really consider the Grand Canyon if you can swing it. But I bet it's more than 3 hours even from Mesa.

the ww2 museum by falcon field

http://www.azcaf.org/

think thew canyon is 4 or 5 been a few years

AZORChiefFan
01-04-2011, 09:07 PM
The Musical Instrument Museum might be interesting http://www.themim.org/

Rain Man
01-04-2011, 09:12 PM

Definite yes on the Grand Canyon. That would be well worth the trip.

I'd kind of like to see the Biosphere 2 even though I don't know what you'd look at. It's probably more or less like a recently vacated room at the Comfort Inn now, I bet.

Saul Good
01-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Maybe you should go to San Francisco instead.

DrRyan
01-04-2011, 09:17 PM
think thew canyon is 4 or 5 been a few years

Grand Canyon is 3 and a half hours from Phoenix. Two hours north to Flagstaff, 90 more minutes from Flag to the Canyon. If you are thinking of that you will need to check the weather forecast and road conditions. Northern AZ got some serious snow last week and some highways were closed (all open to my knowledge now though).

I would second the Taliesin West visit. Very cool and most of the tour guides are pretty knowledgeable about the history. Some have good stories about Frank Lloyd Wright and his eccentricities if you ask them.

jAZ
01-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Definite yes on the Grand Canyon. That would be well worth the trip.

I'd kind of like to see the Biosphere 2 even though I don't know what you'd look at. It's probably more or less like a recently vacated room at the Comfort Inn now, I bet.

Not at all. It's a research facility now. And still filled with plant life, etc. I happen to know 2 of the biospherians and have been on the tour with them twice. I'll probably be doing it again. Some interesting stories and really pretty cool tour.

damaticous
01-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Thank you everyone for your replies.

I think the roads are closed up north so going to the grand canyon is probably out.

I forgot about Mystery Castle. Something I think the little lady and I would be interested in.