PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Would someone with ESPN Insider post the column on Chiefs chances vs Ravens

manjy90
01-05-2011, 04:26 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/insider/news/story?id=5984830

Would someone with insider mind posting it?

Fritz88
01-05-2011, 04:32 AM
It is illegal.
Posted via Mobile Device

manjy90
01-05-2011, 04:33 AM
So it turns out I have ESPN Insider, what were the chances?

Three stars shined brightest on Kansas City's trip to the AFC West championship: running back Jamaal Charles, wide receiver Dwayne Bowe and linebacker Tamba Hali. However, those three were not enough on Sunday, as the Chiefs fell to the Oakland Raiders 31-10. If the Baltimore Ravens hope to defeat Kansas City in their playoff matchup this weekend, they'd better follow the steps the Raiders took against this trio.

Step 1: Beat Jamaal Charles to the sideline

Arian Foster won the rushing title this year, but Charles was the NFL's best runner. His average gain of 6.38 yards per carry was nearly unprecedented. Only one player in history (minimum 200 carries) ever had a higher figure: Jim Brown, who averaged 6.40 yards per rush in 1963. And Charles wasn't a boom-and-bust guy with a few long runs masking a ton of short gains. By FO's numbers, he gained successful yardage on 57 percent of his carries, the third-highest rate in football.

Charles is most dangerous when he gets to the edge -- and he gets there often. He finished fourth in the league in carries to right or left end despite ranking only 14th in total carries. He's devastating out there, too -- he led the league with 668 yards on outside runs (better than 200 more yards than the second-highest runner, Michael Turner) for a ridiculous 7.9 yards per carry and a 67 percent success rate.

Charles had nine outside runs against Oakland for 78 yards. That sounds like a great day, but it's deceptive. Three of those runs totaled 71 yards; his other six outside carries netted 1.2 yards a pop. If you can stop Charles two out of three times, you've done a fine job.

On outside runs, the Ravens allowed successful yardage only 47 percent of the time this season, well below the average of 51 percent, and they allowed only 4.5 yards per carry, sixth-lowest in the league. That's very good. Unfortunately, "very good" falls short when your opponent is "historically great."

Edge: Chiefs.

Step 2: Don't let Dwayne Bowe get behind you

The Chiefs' passing attack is largely a one-man show. Bowe was responsible for 36.4 percent of his team's receiving yardage, more than anyone except Atlanta's Roddy White. Stop Bowe, and you stop the Chiefs.

Bowe did his best work downfield -- he was tied for fourth with 23 receptions that came at least 15 yards past the line of scrimmage, and his success rate of 48 percent on such throws was higher than the average rate of 42 percent.

The Raiders put an obvious focus on keeping Bowe in front of them. He was the target on only four deep passes, all incomplete, and three of them were desperate heaves when the Chiefs were down by multiple scores in the fourth quarter.

The Ravens allowed a success rate of 39 percent (eighth-lowest in the league) and an average gain of 10.4 yards per play (fourth-lowest) on deep passes. Since Ed Reed returned to the lineup in Week 7, those numbers have dropped slightly to a 37 percent success rate and 10.1 yards per deep pass.

Getty ImagesAs is the case with many Ravens contests, Ed Reed will be a huge factor.

That doesn't account for interceptions, however. In the first six games of the year, Baltimore intercepted only three deep passes; since Reed returned, they've grabbed nine. Seven of Reed's eight interceptions have come on deep balls. With Reed playing center field, long bombs won't be worth the risk.

Edge: Ravens.

Step 3: Keep Tamba Hali away from your quarterback

Actually, the Raiders failed at this task miserably. Hali collected 2.5 sacks on Sunday, finishing atop the AFC with 14.5.

Although Hali is listed at right outside linebacker, the Chiefs move him around a lot. Data are still coming in for Football Outsiders' game-charting project, but with about 75 percent of the season accounted for, Hali actually has more sacks against right tackles than he does against left tackles.

Why is that important? Because the Ravens have a surprising weakness at tackle -- but it's not on the left side. We've found only two blown blocks leading to sacks for Michael Oher in our charting (currently complete through Week 14). Marshal Yanda, though, is one of six right tackles in the league with at least five such blown blocks. If the Chiefs play Hali to that side, he'll likely beat Yanda for a game-changing play.

Edge: Chiefs.

The Raiders won two of these matchups, and it was enough for a win. The Ravens had better find a way to do the same, or their season will end.

manjy90
01-05-2011, 04:35 AM
For extra fun, here's ESPN's "X-Factors" for the the Chiefs:
Kansas City Chiefs

SS Eric Berry: He has become an excellent blitzer and he is good on run support and he has really improved in pass coverage. This is a big-play guy.

LDE Wallace Gilberry: With Tamba Hali on the other side getting a lot of attention and double-teams, he gets single-blocked, and he has responded with seven sacks this season.

TE Tony Moeaki: He is a talented receiving TE and he can also block -- he is a tough matchup when he flexes -- and is also a safety net for Matt Cassel.

G Brian Waters: He is a rock on this underrated offensive line and he keys the physical Chiefs run game, which is so impressive. His veteran leadership will be important in the playoffs.

tyton75
01-05-2011, 06:07 AM
if the Offensive line has a great day.... we have a good chance at winning.

I think its all going to hinge on how they block; my key to the game

KC Jones
01-05-2011, 07:15 AM
if the Offensive line has a great day.... we have a good chance at winning.

I think its all going to hinge on how they block; my key to the game

key match-up of the game right there - our O-line against their D-line. Ngata will overwhelm Wiegmann so I expect Cassel won't have much time and that runs in the middle will only succeed when Ngata's momentum takes him out of the play.

JD10367
01-05-2011, 07:19 AM
key match-up of the game right there - our O-line against their D-line. Ngata will overwhelm Wiegmann so I expect Cassel won't have much time and that runs in the middle will only succeed when Ngata's momentum takes him out of the play.

Cassel was not sacked much for most of the season. He played well. The past few games, he's been sacked a bunch. He played like shit and the team lost. Not exactly a coincidence. If the OL doesn't show up, Cassel will get killed and finish with an 11-for-42, 120 yards, 3-INT performance.

KcFaNiNJerZeY
01-05-2011, 07:26 AM
Cassel was not sacked much for most of the season. He played well. The past few games, he's been sacked a bunch. He played like shit and the team lost. Not exactly a coincidence. If the OL doesn't show up, Cassel will get killed and finish with an 11-for-42, 120 yards, 3-INT performance.

I've noticed it too...seems like he hasn't been getting that much time in the past weeks which is why we didn't look so good against the Raiders. I just hope, just hope the line blocks and we can at least make the game competitive.

JD10367
01-05-2011, 07:33 AM
I've noticed it too...seems like he hasn't been getting that much time in the past weeks which is why we didn't look so good against the Raiders. I just hope, just hope the line blocks and we can at least make the game competitive.

As I just posted in the other thread, in the 10 KC wins they gave up 12 sacks. In the 6 KC losses they gave up 18 sacks.

Hog Farmer
01-05-2011, 08:41 AM
Baltimore has 27 sacks this year compared to 47 for the Raiders. They are not the sack threat everyone thinks they are . But running up the middle on them is a waste of time.

SLAG
01-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Baltimore has 27 sacks this year compared to 47 for the Raiders. They are not the sack threat everyone thinks they are . But running up the middle on them is a waste of time.

which means T.J should probably just lay back and let someone masturbate him and use it to impregnate others....

Tuckdaddy
01-05-2011, 08:54 AM
If they can harass Matt we lose big. Even if he isn't getting sacked it won't matter. he can't perform if he's rushed. If the line can keep him safe then we have a shot. Matt can't make plays if he gets harrassed. He's just not a pressure performer.

ReynardMuldrake
01-05-2011, 08:56 AM
If they can harass Matt we lose big. Even if he isn't getting sacked it won't matter. he can't perform if he's rushed. If the line can keep him safe then we have a shot. Matt can't make plays if he gets harrassed. He's just not a pressure performer.

In other words: Don't hassle the Cassel.