PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Brian Waters clearly still hates Todd Haley (/s)

jAZ
01-05-2011, 09:34 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Seven-Years-Later/9118f8e6-ae7f-4e1f-acc1-42b36cd03a5a

Seven Years Later
By Josh Looney
Posted 5 hours ago

Brian Waters was part of the Chiefs last division championship, but prefers the makeup of this year's squad come playoff time

Brian Waters started 16 games for the 2003 Kansas City Chiefs. The same Chiefs team that began the season 9-0, won the AFC West at 13-3, set single-season rushing records and tied a team-best five-game improvement in the win column from the previous season.

Waters also started 16 games for the 2010 Kansas City Chiefs. The same Chiefs team that began the season 3-0, won the AFC West at 10-6, set single-season rushing records and posted a team-best six-game improvement in the win column from the previous season.

Waters is one of the final links to the Chiefs team that last hosted a playoff game. He’s one of just two holdovers from the 2003 AFC West championship squad (the other is Casey Wiegmann).

If anyone can compare the playoff resumes between Kansas City’s last two division champions, it’s Waters.

“As good as that (2003) team was, this is a better team as a whole,” Waters said.

That’s an interesting take. It’s one that goes against the grain in the minds of many.

The 2003 Chiefs remained undefeated until mid-November, led the league in scoring with a franchise-best 484 points and topped the NFL with a 19 turnover differential. Nine Chiefs players received Pro Bowl recognition that year; three times the amount of Chiefs invites in 2010.

Of course, the 2003 Chiefs also went one-and-done when the playoffs rolled around.

“We all knew that we were a very good offensive football team,” Waters recalled of the ’03 squad. “We knew that we could score points, but we didn’t’ do the things we needed to do in order to make our defense be a factor. This team is far and ahead better than that football team in the fact that we have a better brand of football to play.”

As if we needed a reminder, the Chiefs failed to force a single punt in the 38-31 Divisional Round loss to Indianapolis. Kansas City also threw a pick, shanked a 31-yard chip shot field goal and fumbled inside the Indianapolis 25-yard line.

Just one defensive stop was all that separated the Chiefs from an appearance in the AFC Championship Game. Had they reached the conference title, Kansas City would have done so wearing lots of makeup.

“At that time we knew (the offense) was a dominant factor on that team and we couldn’t afford to (miss scoring opportunities) and still win games,” said Waters. “We had to be perfect.”

The Chiefs one-sided approach to constructing a football team ultimately led to its postseason demise. While the team could score with anyone, its defense offered the offense little room for error.

Band-aids helped shied the depth of Kansas City’s flaws throughout much of the 2003 season. While the defense languished as the league’s 30th ranked unit, they were surprisingly opportunistic and ended the regular season with the fourth-most takeaways (37) of any NFL team.

Leading the league in scoring and turnover differential is going to win a lot of games, but the Chiefs were playing in a manner that continually pressed winnings. Long-term success wasn’t sustainable. Eventually, a team would come along that exposed Kansas City’s weaknesses. What happened when the takeaways stopped flowing and an offensive miscue or two were in the deck of cards?

A Peyton Manning-led Colts team offered that nightmarish matchup and the odds caught up with the Chiefs at the most inopportune time.

“That was the type of program that we were running at the time,” said Waters. “We didn’t put an emphasis on the defense as far as the resources in the draft picks and those things at the time. If that’s the way your team is build then you have to kind of play to that and we didn’t’ do a good job of that.

“This team is different, we can win in a lot of fashions and one side can take control when the other hasn’t,” Waters continued. “That’s the complimentary football that Coach Haley is always talking about. I think that gives us a great start.”

While the 2010 Chiefs are far from flawless, they do have redeemable qualities that historically run consistent with successful playoff teams.

For starters, the Chiefs run the football well and also do an admirable enough job at stopping the run. They also limit turnovers and own a decisive home field advantage.

Chiefs Offensive Rushing Comparison

2003: 120.6 yards per game (15th)

2010: 164.2 yards per game (1st)

Chiefs Defensive Rushing Comparison

2003: 146.5 yards per game (30th)

2010: 110.3 yards per game (14th)

Chiefs Turnover Comparison

2003: 19 (1st)

2010: 9 (5th)

“I think we do the things that good playoff teams do,” said Waters. “We run the ball, we stop the run and we don’t hurt ourselves. I think we’re getting better in the areas that you want to get better in, as far as explosive plays down the field, making turnovers and things of that manner.”

Whether or not the Chiefs current makeup is enough to lend a different result than the one we saw at Arrowhead seven years ago, who knows? The Chiefs have dropped six consecutive playoff games spanning over the last 17 seasons and none of those teams were identical.

But maybe this year’s squad has the makeup that bucks the streak? At the very least, a man who played on what is widely considered the Chiefs most talented team of the past decade prefers the build of this year’s Chiefs to that of the 2003 team.

“We’re a team who can run the ball, stop the run and do things in different spurts when we have to,” said Waters. “That team wasn’t able to do that. “

DeezNutz
01-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Sounds like he credits Pioli and not Haley. /jwhit

Detoxing
01-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Not a good thread title.

Mr. Kotter
01-05-2011, 09:39 AM
I agree with him. If this year was a "fraud" as some contend; 2003 was a bigger fraud, IMHO.

Sofa King
01-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Sounds like he credits Pioli and not Haley. /jwhit

It's pronounced Egoli

MahiMike
01-05-2011, 09:47 AM
This is what I love about us being the Patriots West team. Balance is the key to going deep.

Donger
01-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Not a good thread title.

I presume that jAZ is being sarcastic.

Bowser
01-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Balance is the key to going deep.

That's what she said. *high five*

OnTheWarpath58
01-05-2011, 10:35 AM
That's what she said. *high five*

LMAO

Rooster
01-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Balance is the key to going deep.

Agreed. That's why I have my balls calibrated monthly.

AirForceChief
01-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Crap...my sarcasm detector has failed again. I attended the reading of the whole article, waiting for the Water's bomb, only to find I had been left nothing.

jAZ
01-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Crap...my sarcasm detector has failed again. I attended the reading of the whole article, waiting for the Water's bomb, only to find I had been left nothing.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/darthraider/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/excellent.jpg

Bowser
01-05-2011, 11:19 AM
http://ui01.gamespot.com/256/cattank_2.jpg

chiefqueen
01-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Ought to be sued for false advertising.

Donger
01-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Many people come here for their Chiefs news, so we don't tolerate false news stories, even if done as a joke. Misleading thread titles can fall into this category. (http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/faq.php?faq=bannable#faq_faq_ban_false_thread_title)

jAZ
01-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Many people come here for their Chiefs news, so we don't tolerate false news stories, even if done as a joke. Misleading thread titles can fall into this category. (http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/faq.php?faq=bannable#faq_faq_ban_false_thread_title)

Holy crap. Sarcasm in thread titles is now being objected to. Got it.

I added the /s tag just for you. Don't blame me because it doesn't get changed in the front page... only the opening post.

Donger
01-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Holy crap. Sarcasm in thread titles is now being objected to. Got it.

I added the /s tag just for you. Don't blame me because it doesn't get changed in the front page... only the opening post.

It's a misleading thread title, jAZ.

DaFace
01-05-2011, 11:38 AM
C'mon...did you guys REALLY have that much trouble picking up on the sarcasm here?

Donger
01-05-2011, 11:41 AM
C'mon...did you guys REALLY have that much trouble picking up on the sarcasm here?

I presumed that the thread title was not misleading. I realized after reading the entire OP that jAZ was being sarcastic, yes.

stevieray
01-05-2011, 11:41 AM
It's a misleading thread title, jAZ.

not neccessarily, considering Jaz has been trying to decapitate jwhit the last few days.

SNR
01-05-2011, 11:47 AM
jAz is a very polite long-term member of this board and therefore he gets a pass.

DOUBLE STANDARD OMG WTF SUM1 CALL PAWNMOWER ASAP K THX

Fruit Ninja
01-05-2011, 11:52 AM
I knew it was sarcasm before opening the thread. Come on now people lol

Brock
01-05-2011, 11:53 AM
I presumed that the thread title was not misleading. I realized after reading the entire OP that jAZ was being sarcastic, yes.

You're dumb.

Donger
01-05-2011, 11:59 AM
not neccessarily, considering Jaz has been trying to decapitate jwhit the last few days.

It's still misleading.

Donger
01-05-2011, 12:00 PM
You're dumb.

Why is that? We know that Waters had issues with Haley last year. Is it really dumb to read a thread title and think, "Ooops, has the past been revisited?"

CoMoChief
01-05-2011, 12:04 PM
No shit he likes this team better, the defense may actually force the opposing offense to punt the fucking ball. I don't blame him...

CoMoChief
01-05-2011, 12:08 PM
I may in the minority here, but I think the 2003 team would beat this year's team.

The only way I see otherwise is that 2003 couldn't stop the run. Charles would set NFL records on that 03 defense.

But still, I'd take Trent Green, TG, Priest, Dante Hall and that Oline against Matt Cassel and company....I'd just kidnap Greg Robinson the night before the game and make sure he stayed the hell away from Arrowhead.

jAZ
01-05-2011, 12:16 PM
<embed style='display:block' src='http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:comedycentral.com:369819' width='360' height='301' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='window' allowFullscreen='true' flashvars='autoPlay=false' allowscriptaccess='always' allownetworking='all' bgcolor='#000000'></embed>

Thig Lyfe
01-05-2011, 12:28 PM
You should append "... NOT!" to the thread title to clear up any confusion.

HemiEd
01-05-2011, 12:42 PM

No shit! Lots of sandy ones around here.

I knew it was sarcasm before opening the thread. Come on now people lol Same here

Radar Chief
01-05-2011, 12:53 PM
You should append "... NOT!" to the thread title to clear up any confusion.

Agreed. /Wayne Campbell and Garth Algar

crazycoffey
01-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Why is that? We know that Waters had issues with Haley last year. Is it really dumb to read a thread title and think, "Ooops, has the past been revisited?"

oh, just go sell a monkey or find something else to complain about

Mr. Flopnuts
01-05-2011, 02:51 PM
The 2003 team were absolute frauds. They were exposed, and people still thought they were good enough for a deep playoff run. This year's team is clearly a team that is in the middle of a rebuild, and has exceeded expectations. Thank the coaching staff for that. It's also filled with young guys that are ascending, rather than old guys that are descending.

People should be tenfold more excited about this team than they were that one, yet that's not the feeling I'm getting. It almost seems like fans this year are in mourning over this playoff appearance and are ready to be led to slaughter. Whatever happens this weekend, I expect great things next year and the years to follow. I didn't feel that way going into the 2003 playoff game. Believe it or not, it's a great time to be a Chiefs fan.

Reerun_KC
01-05-2011, 03:28 PM
The 2003 team were absolute frauds. They were exposed, and people still thought they were good enough for a deep playoff run. This year's team is clearly a team that is in the middle of a rebuild, and has exceeded expectations. Thank the coaching staff for that. It's also filled with young guys that are ascending, rather than old guys that are descending.

People should be tenfold more excited about this team than they were that one, yet that's not the feeling I'm getting. It almost seems like fans this year are in mourning over this playoff appearance and are ready to be led to slaughter. Whatever happens this weekend, I expect great things next year and the years to follow. I didn't feel that way going into the 2003 playoff game. Believe it or not, it's a great time to be a Chiefs fan.

This!!!!!!
This!!!!!!
This!!!!!!
This!!!!!!
This!!!!!!
This!!!!!!
This!!!!!!
This!!!!!!
This!!!!!!
This!!!!!!
This!!!!!!
This!!!!!!
This!!!!!!
This!!!!!!
This!!!!!!
This!!!!!!
This!!!!!!
This!!!!!!
This!!!!!!
This!!!!!!
This!!!!!!
This!!!!!!
This!!!!!!
This!!!!!!

Chris Meck
01-05-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm totally excited.

I have so much hope for a SB trophy in the next 3-4 years that I'm positively bursting.

I just see that we are not there yet; it's really a tribute to the coaching staff and some of the individual talents that we're even sniffing around the door.

I'd like to win, but I ain't betting on it.

Chris

Mr. Flopnuts
01-05-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm going to be at the game this Sunday, and I'm going to scream my ass off. And whether we win by 1, or lose by 30, I'll be holding my head up high and proud to be a Chiefs fan when the game is over.

Just Passin' By
01-05-2011, 03:44 PM

We're a "what have you done for me lately?" country. The Chiefs looked bad against the Raiders, so they're going to get blown out by the Ravens. If they'd beaten the Raiders by 14, you'd be reading about the Ravens needing to find a way to keep the game close.

jAZ
01-05-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm going to be at the game this Sunday, and I'm going to scream my ass off. And whether we win by 1, or lose by 30, I'll be holding my head up high and proud to be a Chiefs fan when the game is over.

Sans the being there parts, I agree completely.

talastan
01-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Regardless of the outcome this Sunday, we are the Division Champs!! We have had the most successful turnaround for this franchise ever. We have a young core that will be here for a long time. Charles is locked up for a long time, DJ is locked up long term. I fully expect Hali to be offered a new contract this offseason or during next season. Bowe will be offered a long term contract. Our starting QB is still very young and developing into one of the most reliable passers in the league. You've got to love where we stand as far as long term success. The fact that the FO is building for a dynasty instead of just a one and done Super Bowl apperance is awesome IMO. Go Chiefs!!!

jAZ
01-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Regardless of the outcome this Sunday, we are the Division Champs!! We have had the most successful turnaround for this franchise ever. We have a young core that will be here for a long time. Charles is locked up for a long time, DJ is locked up long term. I fully expect Hali to be offered a new contract this offseason or during next season. Bowe will be offered a long term contract. Our starting QB is still very young and developing into one of the most reliable passers in the league. You've got to love where we stand as far as long term success. The fact that the FO is building for a dynasty instead of just a one and done Super Bowl apperance is awesome IMO. Go Chiefs!!!

Sans the being there parts, I agree completely.

eazyb81
01-05-2011, 03:58 PM
We're a "what have you done for me lately?" country. The Chiefs looked bad against the Raiders, so they're going to get blown out by the Ravens. If they'd beaten the Raiders by 14, you'd be reading about the Ravens needing to find a way to keep the game close.

This is true, but you have to admit playing so poorly in the last game of the season will not usually inspire confidence for a playoff run.

Who knows - maybe Oakland just has our number and we matchup better with Baltimore. But I would feel much better about this game if we didn't look completely outmatched last Sunday.

mohammedhali
01-05-2011, 04:10 PM
and going deep requires length

Mr. Kotter
01-05-2011, 04:12 PM

Yep. :toast:

Just Passin' By
01-05-2011, 04:14 PM
This is true, but you have to admit playing so poorly in the last game of the season will not usually inspire confidence for a playoff run.

Who knows - maybe Oakland just has our number and we matchup better with Baltimore. But I would feel much better about this game if we didn't look completely outmatched last Sunday.

The team was already in the playoffs. That's exactly the sort of game where teams phone it in. I'm not saying that's what happened, but I am noting that it wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary. Hell, the Ravens barely squeaked by a 4-12 team, and put up less than 200 yards of offense in the process.

Mr. Kotter
01-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Oh, hey....Justin, btw...thanks for staying the hell away from DC. Yeah, you could say the same to me for the most part. Just sayin'. Heh.