PDA

View Full Version : Football Tyler Thigpen = Peyton Manning

siberian khatru
01-05-2011, 10:51 AM
OK, that might be a bit of a stretch. But notice what ol' TT was doing at QB for the Fins.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2011/01/brandon-marshall-admits-to-drawing-up-his-own-plays.html

Dolphins WR Brandon Marshall admits to changing play calls

by: Omar Kelly January 4th, 2011 | 2:11 PM

There’s an art to the way Brandon Marshall talks because he usually manages to say SOMETHING without outright saying something.

The Miami Dolphins’ alpha receiver has done it all season, sending subliminal (and sometimes clear as day) messages to the media, encouraging us to read between-the-lines. That habit continued during his final weekly interview with WQAM’s Michael Irvin show this Tuesday.

Marshall hinted that he’s had issues with the Miami Dolphins’ conservative offensive play calling, especially how he was used in 2010, and some of it center on Chad Henne’s conservative approach to playing quarterback.

Marshall also outright admitted he and Tyler Thigpen, who replaced Henne against the Patriots, were improvising on a couple of occasions during Sunday’s 38-7 loss to the New England Patriots, a game where he caught five passes for 97 yards, most of which came in the second-half with Thigpen at the trigger.

Changing plays on the field led to Marshall having a heated discussion with quarterback coach David Lee, who didn’t like the fact Marshall and Thigpen were changing in-routes to go-routes based on the coverage Marshall was seeing.

One of those improvised plays drew a 32-yard penalty and set up the Dolphins’ lone touchdown. That pass interference was the second one the Dolphins’ Pro Bowl receiver drew all season, joining the one Jets linebacker Bart Scott committed in Miami’s 10-6 victory on Dec. 12th.

“We had a little discussion on the sidelines about keeping the route on,” Marshall said of his dispute with Lee, which centered on the type of press coverage New England cornerback Devin McCourty was playing him.

“They expect me to run an in-route, but me as a player, when we get singled with no safety over the top I want to take a shot and just converted it to a go….Seemed like an easier throw, easier play was the go route…. The quarterback coach was just doing his job. He didn’t know that me and Tyler were on the same page in terms of seeing the same thing out there.”

Marshall said he and Thigpen talked through the Patriots’ coverage often during the game. But sources tell me they changed some of Marshall’s routes in the huddle before looking at New England’s defense.

“I’m 6-5, 230 and have a rookie cornerback that’s 5-10, maybe 190 pounds in front of me. Just throw it up. You see what happened,” Marshall said, referring to the 35-yard catch he made on an improvised route. “That’s the type of play that my game has been missing all year, being able to threaten somebody deep when it’s one-on-one, no matter if they are running with me side-by-side or if I got a step or two. I look at it as if I’m open.

“When there’s press coverage outside and single safety (high) in the past taking a shot has always worked out pretty good, in my favor,” said Marshall, who finished 2010 with 86 receptions for 1,014 yards and three touchdowns. “That’s something I’ve been trying to get called all year….Trying to get them to understand if I’m covered I’m not covered.”

When asked if he favors Thigpen over Henne, whom he expressed doubts about last week for the first time all season, Marshall confronted the show’s co-host, warned he’d always “kept it real” with the show, then said: “I like whoever is getting the job done.

“Tyler gets it a little more,” Marshall said when asked a follow up question about the two quarterbacks. ”We had an opportunity to make three big plays. We made an amazing play on one of them, had a pass interference on the other, and the other one I just dropped. We really had an opportunity to go 3-for-3.

“It’s a look that I’ve been trying to communicate with the quarterbacks all year and we finally get it the last game and show what we’re capable of doing,” Marshall said. “Tyler gets it. He had an opportunity to play with Dwayne Bowe in Kansas City and they made some plays out there so I guess he understands [about] throwing the ball to a big receiver a little more than Chad Henne. But Chad has done some great things for us this year. He’s a smart, intelligent guy. The way he plays the game is he does…goes exactly through his reads.”

So, to translate it, Marshall subliminally called Henne a Robot.

“No matter the situation or the match up, it doesn’t matter that I’m 6-5, 230 against a rookie corner who is 5-8, 5-9,” Marshall said of Henne’s by-the-book style.

“We may have a discussion where we’re too safe as an offense at certain positions. I’ll take my chance in the game,” Marshall said. “We make three big plays, three conversions and then you get to the sidelines and there’s some conflict there because they don’t like it.

“If I would have caught that third one it probably still would have been a debate,” Marshall said. “We just have to get on the same page.”

Based on this season’s offensive production, and Marshall’s recent comments, it’s very clear the Dolphins weren’t in 2010.

Cave Johnson
01-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Let the record show Marshall votes against Henne returning as the 2011 starter.

pr_capone
01-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Tony Gonzalez approves this thread.

DBOSHO
01-05-2011, 11:00 AM
I tried to tell you motherfuckers.

Wyndex
01-05-2011, 11:02 AM
love me some thigpen

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Tony Gonzalez approves this thread.

ROFL

Bowser
01-05-2011, 11:16 AM
http://www.motivationpics.com/images/decisions.jpg

JD10367
01-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Normally I'm against players doing this type of crap but, given how successful they were and given how the Dolphins have done this year (crap at home, crap at the end of the season), maybe they should make Marshall and Thigpen coaches.

suds79
01-05-2011, 11:58 AM
I know coaches must hate it when this kind of stuff happens because they're not in control but this isn't really that far from calling an audible right?

They see a mismatch. And decide on the fly to exploit it. Makes sense to me.

Valiant
01-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Coaches should allow more qbs to do mannings approach. If you have the players capable of it then allow them a chance to succeed. Hell I was reasing an article or thread this season on a rb that improvved a whole lot on his average. When asked why? Said they are calling plays that I am good at.

Hate coaches that refuse to adapt to player strengths.

reschief
01-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Coaches should allow more qbs to do mannings approach. If you have the players capable of it then allow them a chance to succeed. Hell I was reasing an article or thread this season on a rb that improvved a whole lot on his average. When asked why? Said they are calling plays that I am good at.

Hate coaches that refuse to adapt to player strengths.

It also makes one think of how much the game has changed over the years. . .such as Lenny Dawson calling the plays for the offense instead of the coaches (for the most part). Sure, the game is "more complex" than it was back "in the day" . . .but is it really? Still 11 players on the field doing the same basic moves. Imagine the disgust amoung coaches if they really weren't needed to make every single decision. . .

alpha_omega
01-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Good thing Haley wasn't the coach.

Thig Lyfe
01-05-2011, 01:24 PM
You'll see. You'll ALL see!!!!