PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Car question - Speedometer

cosmo20002
01-05-2011, 10:38 AM
2004 Chevy Silverado, 2WD, 91K miles--the speedometer needle shoots up to 70-90 mph, even when I'm going 20 mph. Anyone know what's wrong and what it will cost me to fix?

Also, does anyone want to buy a 2004 Chevy Silverado? Seriously, it is for sale.

Detoxing
01-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Do the rest of your gauges do the same thing? Does it stay that way or return to normal?

Could be your alternator if your gauges are spiking.

cosmo20002
01-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Do the rest of your gauges do the same thing?

Could be your alternator.

Everything else seemed to be ok, at least I didn't notice anything.

Dayze
01-05-2011, 10:41 AM
bad fetzer valve. clearly.

Radar Chief
01-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Do the rest of your gauges do the same thing? Does it stay that way or return to normal?

Could be your alternator if your gauges are spiking.

Could be this, could also be a bad ground at the gauge.

Detoxing
01-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Everything else seemed to be ok, at least I didn't notice anything.

Does it just spike or stay that way? Usually spikes like that are a sign of bad electrical and the Alternator on a 91K mile car is typically the main culprit.

However, if it stays that way, that's something different.

Detoxing
01-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Could be this, could also be a bad ground at the gauge.

That too. if so, check for corrosion. A lot of times terminals or grounds just need to be cleaned.

cosmo20002
01-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Does it just spike or stay that way? Usually spikes like that are a sign of bad electrical and the Alternator on a 91K mile car is typically the main culprit.

However, if it stays that way, that's something different.

Just stays that way.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-05-2011, 10:46 AM
if it's just the spedo, it's probably the vehicle speed sensor

Detoxing
01-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Just stays that way.

Could be the speed sensor on your transmission. But that's just a shot in the dark, really.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-05-2011, 10:50 AM
BTW, do some googling. I had to replace this twice on my Dodge Dakota in 5 years, but it was a simple spark-plug shaped part that was $19 and just screwed into the tranny and a wiring harness. A simple 5 minute repair.

C-Mac
01-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Google it.
99% chance its the common problem for that year of truck.....you need a new dash cluster.
It will get worse as it goes until you replace it.
Happened on two different friends trucks on same year model.

Detoxing
01-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Google it.
99% chance its the common problem for that year of truck.....you need a new dash cluster.

I'd check the speed sensor before you check the cluster. The speed sensor is much more prone to going bad and is the MUCH cheaper repair.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-05-2011, 10:53 AM
http://www.theautopartsshop.com/Search/Default.aspx?Pat=chevrolet+silverado-2500+vehicle-speed-sensor&Key=auto+car-usa+parts&gpartnum=04CheSilverado2500%2FSISC90&utm_source=google&utm_medium=camp4&utm_content=Vehicle%20Speed%20Sensor&utm_campaign=chevrolet

you want the output speed sensor
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o10/GaryL_photos/vss0001.jpg

probably looks very close to this

http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://www.ls1truck.com/upload/files/198/241wired.JPG&sa=X&ei=ZrAkTY20IIiTnQettuDRDQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc4QA&usg=AFQjCNGWM-NMpJA1g7uiQASnOL1AA0Ebzg

cosmo20002
01-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Google it.

Looks like it is this. Was hoping it might be something else with a simple fix.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Looks like it is this. Was hoping it might be something else with a simple fix.
]
spend $25 and replace the VSS first.

El Jefe
01-05-2011, 11:08 AM
2004 Chevy Silverado, 2WD, 91K miles--the speedometer needle shoots up to 70-90 mph, even when I'm going 20 mph. Anyone know what's wrong and what it will cost me to fix?

Also, does anyone want to buy a 2004 Chevy Silverado? Seriously, it is for sale.

My first thoughts are speed sensor, very easy fix, we do a ton of these. If all your other gauges are ok, the ISS or OSS are very common problems. Typically to replace a Speed sensor can run anywhere from 50-125.00 depending on the cost, and also the accessability of the sensor.

JASONSAUTO
01-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Google it.

this. almost every time. have to take it to a dealer though....

JASONSAUTO
01-05-2011, 11:09 AM
I'd check the speed sensor before you check the cluster. The speed sensor is much more prone to going bad and is the MUCH cheaper repair.

worth a try but on these trucks i would bet money its the cluster.

El Jefe
01-05-2011, 11:11 AM

Ohh and I will consider buying your truck, but if the sensors cost me $25, I will subtract that from my offer, and offer you $50 bucks :p

El Jefe
01-05-2011, 11:12 AM
worth a try but on these trucks i would bet money its the cluster.

Really? We don't do that kind of work anyway, but interesting to know. What is the cause of the failure usually, that you have seen?

El Jefe
01-05-2011, 11:13 AM
OP where are you located? I can give you a SS if you want to try it, heck I can even put it on if you're near me.

JASONSAUTO
01-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Really? We don't do that kind of work anyway, but interesting to know. What is the cause of the failure usually, that you have seen?

jus a bad cluster. somehow the used dealer that i do a ton of business with has found a way to rebuild them himself. he cant even get em out but he can fix em.

Frosty
01-05-2011, 11:15 AM

Shitty parts from GM.

I have an '05 and am waiting for this to happen. The engine hours mysteriously reset a couple of years ago but so far nothing else has happened.

El Jefe
01-05-2011, 11:32 AM
jus a bad cluster. somehow the used dealer that i do a ton of business with has found a way to rebuild them himself. he cant even get em out but he can fix em.

I see that a lot, it cracks me up. How do you like doing a work for used dealers? We do a ton of work for legit small dealers, and fly-by-night dealers, my usual conversations with the fly-by-night dealers are the most fun.

UD=Used Dealer

Phone ring, ring

Me: Hello
UD: Hey, its rick, how's it going my best friend, I have sent you sooo much work over the years, and I've known you guys since the late 70's (funny because we opened in 82)
Me: Ohh ok, what can I do for you.
UD: I have a 99 Ford Taurus needs a transmission, can I get a price?
Me: Whats wrong with it?
UD: I don't know, but I am tied up in this thing and need to get rid of it quick, can you fix it cheap?
Me: It depends on whats wrong with it.
UD: Well how much will it cost me?
Me: It depends on whats wrong with it, let us check it out for you.
UD: Ok, be there in 10 minutes...
Me:Well if you can drop it off that is fine, if not you have to schedule an appointment.
UD: Ohhh man, that's no good, I need to wait.
Me: That's fine, but we can't look at it until tomorrow.
UD: I just need you to drive it around the block, it won't take but a couple minutes.
Me: Both of my test drivers are tied up, if you want it checked you will have to drop it off.
UD: Son of a b**** well ok.

Drops the car off, the filter plugs up when driving it, how he got it to us I have no idea.

Me: Hello I have some info for you on your Taurus if you have a minute
UD: Ok buddy, I love your business, you are my bestest friend.
Me: Well the filter's plugging up, the fluid is black, the transmission needs to come out.
UD: Oh F, how much
Me: Well you could get into $$ $$
UD: Ohh no I bought the car from an auction for x and had to spend X to get it running, that's way too much money, what can you do for me.
Me: Well that's wholesale price
UD: That's too much, you need to come down.
Me: Well this is the price at what we can do it for.
UD: Im coming to get the car.
Me: Ok.

1 weeks later
Me: Hello this is ... from ... are you going to come and get your car?
UD: Ummmmm yes, I will get it tomorrow.

1 week later
Doesnt answer his phone, leave a message asking him to come get the car.

1 week Later
Doesnt answer his phone, tell him he needs to call me.

1 week later
Doesn't answer, leave him a message saying if he doesn't get it, we will have the township tow it out.

Next day comes with a cheap dumpy tow truck, and says he couldn't get it because he was out of town on business.

JASONSAUTO
01-05-2011, 12:03 PM
[/B]

I see that a lot, it cracks me up. How do you like doing a work for used dealers? We do a ton of work for legit small dealers, and fly-by-night dealers, my usual conversations with the fly-by-night dealers are the most fun.

UD=Used Dealer

Phone ring, ring

Me: Hello
UD: Hey, its rick, how's it going my best friend, I have sent you sooo much work over the years, and I've known you guys since the late 70's (funny because we opened in 82)
Me: Ohh ok, what can I do for you.
UD: I have a 99 Ford Taurus needs a transmission, can I get a price?
Me: Whats wrong with it?
UD: I don't know, but I am tied up in this thing and need to get rid of it quick, can you fix it cheap?
Me: It depends on whats wrong with it.
UD: Well how much will it cost me?
Me: It depends on whats wrong with it, let us check it out for you.
UD: Ok, be there in 10 minutes...
Me:Well if you can drop it off that is fine, if not you have to schedule an appointment.
UD: Ohhh man, that's no good, I need to wait.
Me: That's fine, but we can't look at it until tomorrow.
UD: I just need you to drive it around the block, it won't take but a couple minutes.
Me: Both of my test drivers are tied up, if you want it checked you will have to drop it off.
UD: Son of a b**** well ok.

Drops the car off, the filter plugs up when driving it, how he got it to us I have no idea.

Me: Hello I have some info for you on your Taurus if you have a minute
UD: Ok buddy, I love your business, you are my bestest friend.
Me: Well the filter's plugging up, the fluid is black, the transmission needs to come out.
UD: Oh F, how much
Me: Well you could get into $$ $$
UD: Ohh no I bought the car from an auction for x and had to spend X to get it running, that's way too much money, what can you do for me.
Me: Well that's wholesale price
UD: That's too much, you need to come down.
Me: Well this is the price at what we can do it for.
UD: Im coming to get the car.
Me: Ok.

1 weeks later
Me: Hello this is ... from ... are you going to come and get your car?
UD: Ummmmm yes, I will get it tomorrow.

1 week later
Doesnt answer his phone, leave a message asking him to come get the car.

1 week Later
Doesnt answer his phone, tell him he needs to call me.

1 week later
Doesn't answer, leave him a message saying if he doesn't get it, we will have the township tow it out.

Next day comes with a cheap dumpy tow truck, and says he couldn't get it because he was out of town on business.
ROFL been there, this guy is legit though. any problems fix them and his check gets dropped off every friday nomatter what and it has never bounced.....