PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs TEREZ A. PAYLOR:Ravens’ Oher will return to Kansas City for Mayors’ Prayer Breakfast

Tribal Warfare
01-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Ravens’ Oher will return to Kansas City for Mayors’ Prayer Breakfast (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/01/09/2572713/ravens-oher-will-return-to-kansas.html)
By TEREZ A. PAYLOR
The Kansas City Star

Like the rest of his teammates, Baltimore left tackle Michael Oher sat at his locker Sunday, basking in the afterglow of the Ravens’ convincing 30-7 victory against the Chiefs.

At some point, it occurred to him that was his first visit to Kansas City, and it had been a good one. It gave him hope that his second visit, which is only a few months away, will be just as good.

That’s because Oher will return in March for the annual Greater Kansas City Area Mayors’ Prayer Breakfast. As the guest speaker, Oher will get an opportunity to talk about his rise from poverty to professional football, which was chronicled in the 2009 movie “The Blind Side,” starring Sandra Bullock.

“I’m just trying to open the door for a lot of other kids,” Oher said. “I’m doing what my family showed me to do. I’m just trying to open a lot of people’s eyes.”

Oher added that his life hasn’t changed much since the movie — he refuses to let that happen, he said — but admitted there has been one side effect.

“A lot of people know me,” he said, simply.

Oher also tells his story in his upcoming book, “I Beat the Odds: From Homelessness to The Blind Side and Beyond,” which is set to be released in February. Those attending the Prayer Breakfast will also receive a signed copy of the book.

AdamAndrew
01-09-2011, 10:58 PM
I do love that story. Oher & Flacco might be the minority guys with class on that Ravens team.

Rain Man
01-09-2011, 11:03 PM
It's good that he's speaking about it since no one knows this story.

Dante84
01-09-2011, 11:13 PM
I was pumped when Belcher popped him in the mouth.

RustShack
01-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Sandra Bullock plays Oher in the Blind Side?