PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs 2011 Draft ...... Who will the Chiefs take

royr17
01-10-2011, 10:05 AM
I've seen some reports on mock drafts, but they are mock drafts for a reason. Anyways some have us taken WR Justin Blackmom from Oklahoma State, dont know if he's enter the draft or not, and some have us taken DE Ryan Kerrigan from Purdue and moving him to OLB.

BTW does anybody have a clue how many draft picks the Chiefs have for the years draft ?

Sofa King
01-10-2011, 10:09 AM
We don't know who they will pick yet.

And judging by Pioli's drafts, we won't know until we read the name on the TV screen.

Just be prepared to handle the fact that whoever you wanted them to draft, isn't who they actually drafted.

Discuss Thrower
01-10-2011, 10:11 AM
A nickelback, a FB, a blocking TE, and a ST gunner. Boom.

jd1020
01-10-2011, 10:16 AM
A nickelback

C. Kroeger, M. Kroeger, Peake, or Adair?

Molitoth
01-10-2011, 10:17 AM
As much as I would love to have another WR threat, I'd rather wait for Fitz to become a FA next year and go after him.

jd1020
01-10-2011, 10:17 AM
As much as I would love to have another WR threat, I'd rather wait for Fitz to become a FA next year and go after him.

He's already talking with Arizona about an extension. Wake up.

MOhillbilly
01-10-2011, 10:20 AM

i dont want this club to give up what zona will ask for him.

DaKCMan AP
01-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Just be prepared to handle the fact that whoever you wanted them to draft, isn't who they actually drafted.

Like Eric Berry?

MOhillbilly
01-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Like Eric Berry?

you will only confuse people with facts around here.

Trevo_410
01-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Do we have any extra picks this year... or did we lose any?

Zeke
01-10-2011, 10:46 AM
We get a pick from NE for Page. I doubt it's anything better than a 6th, however.

Zeke
01-10-2011, 10:48 AM
I believe we are also getting a 5th from Miami.

ReynardMuldrake
01-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Did we ever get an extra pick out of that Detroit deal?

Pawnmower
01-10-2011, 10:52 AM
We get an extra pick from Magee (from tampa)

Von Dumbass
01-10-2011, 10:57 AM

The Cardinals will not him just walk away. The only way the Chiefs could possibly get him is by trading them at least a first round draft pick. If he doesn't resign there I guarantee you that the Cardinals will use the Franchise Tag on him.

MOhillbilly
01-10-2011, 11:00 AM
The Cardinals will not him just walk away. The only way the Chiefs could possibly get him is by trading them at least a first round draft pick. If he doesn't resign there I guarantee you that the Cardinals will use the Franchise Tag on him.

really how are they gonna put the FT on a player with no cba in place?

jd1020
01-10-2011, 11:01 AM

I dont believe the Cardinals can Franchise Fitz.

easymobee
01-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Not sure where KC drafts, but if Newton or Locker slides, maybe that's the guy.

Cassell played well enough to show he can give a rookie a couple of years to develop. Maybe they'll hit the lotto and ignite him like SD did with Brees.

With Luck out though, maybe those QBs are long gone by that point.

MOhillbilly
01-10-2011, 11:04 AM
pffff gtfo with QB talk. Noway the FO swallows its pride after winning the div. with casshole at the helm.
forget it.

jd1020
01-10-2011, 11:04 AM
I'm going with the Vikings hire McDaniels, Gabbert still on the board after 11 picks, Chiefs trade Cassel + 1st rounder for Vikings 1st rounder, maybe add late round pick as a throw in, and pick Gabbert.

Thats about the only feasible scenario I can come up with for picking a QB in the 1st.

Brock
01-10-2011, 11:08 AM
forget qb, not even worth mentioning.

Sure-Oz
01-10-2011, 11:08 AM
We wont draft a QB till the late rounds as a backup

DJ's left nut
01-10-2011, 11:09 AM

Damn - you were almost intelligent there for a minute. Then you screwed up.

The Cardinals cannot, by contract, put a franchise tag on Fitz.

HOWEVER, they can and will trade his ass if they can't get an extension in place. There's no way they'll just let him walk for nothing. If they're unable to get him to re-sign prior to the draft, they'll deal him to the Patriots or some other team that will pay for him. That team will not make the deal unless a contract is in place.

There is no way Fitz ever sees the FA market, but not for the reasons you suggested.

MOhillbilly
01-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Damn - you were almost intelligent there for a minute. Then you screwed up.

The Cardinals cannot, by contract, put a franchise tag on Fitz.

HOWEVER, they can and will trade his ass if they can't get an extension in place. There's no way they'll just let him walk for nothing. If they're unable to get him to re-sign prior to the draft, they'll deal him to the Patriots or some other team that will pay for him. That team will not make the deal unless a contract is in place.

There is no way Fitz ever sees the FA market, but not for the reasons you suggested.

trades wont mean anything after the lockout.

The God Hypothesis
01-10-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm going with the Vikings hire McDaniels, Gabbert still on the board after 11 picks, Chiefs trade Cassel + 1st rounder for Vikings 1st rounder, maybe add late round pick as a throw in, and pick Gabbert.

Thats about the only feasible scenario I can come up with for picking a QB in the 1st.

Anythings possible when McDaniels is handling personal decisions, but as an offensive coordinator they are not going to allow him do crazy trades like he did in Denver. IMO, no way anything like this happens.

Cassel is our QB. We all need to accept it, get behind him, and pray we surround him with adequate talent.

jd1020
01-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Anythings possible when McDaniels is handling personal decisions, but as an offensive coordinator they are not going to allow him do crazy trades like he did in Denver. IMO, no way anything like this happens.

Cassel is our QB. We all need to accept it, get behind him, and pray we surround him with adequate talent.

I'm not sure how there is no way that scenario happens. The Vikings need a QB. So they trade for one and still end up with a 1st round pick. You guys are so easy to shoot shit down without even thinking. Do you not see the "stats" that Cassel put up this year?

In the meantime I'll pray that the front office realizes the need for a QB when your aging career backup has just now played his first playoff game and played like a wounded duck.

Rausch
01-10-2011, 11:20 AM
WR or NT.

Biggest needs, players are out there.

And both positions are good to draft late in the first...

HemiEd
01-10-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm not sure how there is no way that scenario happens. The Vikings need a QB. So they trade for one and still end up with a 1st round pick. You guys are so easy to shoot shit down without even thinking. Do you not see the "stats" that Cassel put up this year?

In the meantime I'll pray that the front office realizes the need for a QB when your aging career backup has just now played his first playoff game and played like a wounded duck.

Yeah, we have all seen the "Stats" that Cassel put up this year, and we are sick of hearing about them. Those stats are for people that didn't watch him shit his pants more often than not. He had one great game, and a couple good ones, end of story.

I think Vince Young is going to be playing in Minnesota.

talastan
01-10-2011, 11:29 AM
WR or NT.

This with a OLB added as well. The first rounder should be one of these three IMO. Then from there pick for BPA with needs in mind.

jd1020
01-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Yeah, we have all seen the "Stats" that Cassel put up this year, and we are sick of hearing about them. Those stats are for people that didn't watch him shit his pants more often than not. He had one great game, and a couple good ones, end of story.

Completely missed the entire point and the reasoning behind me quoting the word stats. Cheers.

The God Hypothesis
01-10-2011, 11:41 AM

Its not personal, it was just my opinion. Its not that Cassel wouldn't be a great addition in the Vikings mind, its just the value and money differences behind pulling off a trade like that just make it improbable. As for Vince Young going there, wouldn't they just as well stick with Webb? I was impressed with him the limited time I saw him in action.

istas
01-10-2011, 12:03 PM
I've seen some reports on mock drafts, but they are mock drafts for a reason. Anyways some have us taken WR Justin Blackmom from Oklahoma State, dont know if he's enter the draft or not, and some have us taken DE Ryan Kerrigan from Purdue and moving him to OLB.

BTW does anybody have a clue how many draft picks the Chiefs have for the years draft ?

We get an extra 5th and 6th for Magee and are still waiting on Page.
Here's the link:

http://www.draftinsiders.com/node/35

CrazyPhuD
01-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Luck in '12!

HemiEd
01-10-2011, 12:15 PM
We get an extra 5th and 6th for Magee and are still waiting on Page.
Here's the link:

http://www.draftinsiders.com/node/35

I hope they have that wrong and you are right!

They show the Bucs getting the Chiefs 5th, and the Chiefs getting the Bucks 6th. :doh!: That don't look to good, duh.

tyton75
01-10-2011, 12:18 PM
if I read that correctly.. we are giving up a 5th and getting a 6th in the Magee trade.. or am I getting it backwards?

HemiEd
01-10-2011, 12:44 PM
if I read that correctly.. we are giving up a 5th and getting a 6th in the Magee trade.. or am I getting it backwards?

That is what it says, and if it is correct, the Chiefs got hosed. They should have just released him and kept the higher pick. ROFL

Hopefully they got both picks for him, as he was a pretty high pick of Pioli's first draft the year before. 3rd I believe.

The Bad Guy
01-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Not sure where KC drafts, but if Newton or Locker slides, maybe that's the guy.

Cassell played well enough to show he can give a rookie a couple of years to develop. Maybe they'll hit the lotto and ignite him like SD did with Brees.

With Luck out though, maybe those QBs are long gone by that point.

Locker?

Sweet jesus.

The Bad Guy
01-10-2011, 12:49 PM
WR or NT.

I think OLB from a value standpoint is a better get in the first than a NT.

There are no gold-chip NT's this year.

MOhillbilly
01-10-2011, 12:53 PM

once in a blue moon. I dont think KC needs a blue chip NT. Id be ok with a lunch pail type player.

Chiefnj2
01-10-2011, 12:59 PM
If Charles can't carry a full load, then we should add a HB to the list.

MOhillbilly
01-10-2011, 01:01 PM
If Charles can't carry a full load, then we should add a HB to the list.

yup.

HemiEd
01-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Locker?

Sweet jesus.

ROFL

MahiMike
01-10-2011, 01:03 PM
22 guys off the street...package deal.

jrobbins 20
01-10-2011, 01:08 PM
i like everybody pioli and haley drafted this year arenas i wanted berry and i want julio jones or justin blackmon we also need to upgrade our offensive line our defense is playing good our offense is why we lost that game yesterday and our offense turned the ball over 3 times where the ravens offense only had to go 25 yards for a touchdown and we held them to three and outs which resulted in field goals we need to upgrade our offense our defense is fine

jrobbins 20
01-10-2011, 01:17 PM
thats crazy we got battle and mccluster we need 2 more wide recievers and we need bigger offensive lineman we got ashomoua and albert we need three more big lineman and charles was the only reason we led the league in rushing 6.4 yards a carry thats insane he is crazy good and he also had 500 recieving yards u take charles off this team we maybe win 6 games this year u guys dont know that much bout football

HemiEd
01-10-2011, 01:28 PM
i like everybody pioli and haley drafted this year arenas i wanted berry and i want julio jones or justin blackmon we also need to upgrade our offensive line our defense is playing good our offense is why we lost that game yesterday and our offense turned the ball over 3 times where the ravens offense only had to go 25 yards for a touchdown and we held them to three and outs which resulted in field goals we need to upgrade our offense our defense is fine

thats crazy we got battle and mccluster we need 2 more wide recievers and we need bigger offensive lineman we got ashomoua and albert we need three more big lineman and charles was the only reason we led the league in rushing 6.4 yards a carry thats insane he is crazy good and he also had 500 recieving yards u take charles off this team we maybe win 6 games this year u guys dont know that much bout football
:banghead: If you are not someones mult, please read and study this (http://www.kimskorner4teachertalk.com/writing/sixtrait/conventions/punctuation.html)

BryanBusby
01-10-2011, 01:32 PM

They can't. No franchise tag was a clause in the last contract he signed with Arizona.

Saul Good
01-10-2011, 01:38 PM

OLB isn't that big of a need. We looked weak at the position because we had to sell out to stop the run, thus leaving the middle wide open when we guessed wrong. If we had a legit NT, we wouldn't have had to do that. When you have one OLB (Hali) dedicated to rushing the QB, you can't afford to have the other tied up with covering for an over-matched Nose.

A legit NT would make us better at 2 spots. A better OLB would still be under-utilized if we don't have a Nose.

MOhillbilly
01-10-2011, 02:00 PM
ummm 2 safties that can play both the pass and run coupled with a young,fast,smart olb would be more in the cards than a world beater NT imo.

good 340+ down linemaen dont grow on trees.

istas
01-10-2011, 03:25 PM
I hope they have that wrong and you are right!

They show the Bucs getting the Chiefs 5th, and the Chiefs getting the Bucks 6th. :doh!: That don't look to good, duh.

That can't be right.

cardken
01-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Interestingly enough. Without a CBA in place before the draft, no "undrafted" player can be signed until a CBA is agreed upon.
To think some of these great players would have to wait or be missed completely.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/155896-25-best-undrafted-nfl-players

Bambi
01-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Chiefs need a WR, QB, Guard, probably a kicker, some defensive linemen and and inside linebacker.

bevischief
01-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Interestingly enough. Without a CBA in place before the draft, no "undrafted" player can be signed until a CBA is agreed upon.
To think some of these great players would have to wait or be missed completely.

Haven't that point before.

royr17
01-11-2011, 12:01 PM

I sure as hell hope there aint a lockout next year. My oh my what would I do without being able to watch the Chiefs. :hmmm:

KChiefs1
01-11-2011, 01:15 PM
BPA in the 1st round on a WR, OLB, NT or OL.

Jewish Rabbi
01-11-2011, 01:29 PM

http://cdn4.mattters.com/photos/photos/3228813/demotivational-posters-punctuation.jpg

evolve27
01-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Did we ever get an extra pick for Pigpen?

ct
01-11-2011, 03:40 PM

I had heard this discussed on Sirius NFL but could not find anything more about it.

ROYC75
01-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Chiefs need a WR, QB, Guard, probably a kicker, some defensive linemen and and inside linebacker.

Really ?:spock:

OL & DL, the way we are getting beat and pushed around, this should be top priority in the off season, either FA or draft.

But kicker ?

Ralphy Boy
01-11-2011, 04:56 PM

I think its McNabb.

PlasticMan
01-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Trades of players cant happen until a new CBA is in place so unless there is one before the draft dont count on any players changing teams. Also there might not be franchise tags in the new CBA(if one is reached). The players hate the franchise tag and may try to get it removed.

Thig Lyfe
01-11-2011, 05:09 PM
http://cdn4.mattters.com/photos/photos/3228813/demotivational-posters-punctuation.jpg

I don't think a comma fits in that first sentence. Seems like capitalization is the bigger issue.

mdchiefsfan
01-14-2011, 04:32 PM

Yep he can't be franchised and has a no trade clause in his contract. He can pick which team he is traded to. He has AZ by the balls, basically.

BossChief
01-14-2011, 08:40 PM
My list so far as possible choices as our first rounder are

Jerrel Powe - Ole Miss NT ...this guy could very well be on the serious radar as he has shown the ability to play effectively in a 2gap.

Jonathan Baldwin - Pittsburgh WR ...has the size and ability to make a difference in this offense. Sure hands. Big play guy that would be a very good pick for this team.

Stefen Wisniewski - Penn State C ...this guy is built to be a near dominant center in the exact scheme we run. I know, I know center isnt a position that usually requires this high of an investment, but this guy would fit in very nicely with Lilja and Asamoah to form one of the better interiors in the NFL and two of them would be extremely young. If he is still available at our second rounder, it is gonna be a no brainer, but he wont last that long. Depending on who else is on the board, this would be a solid pick for us at 21.

Anthony Costanzo - OT BC ....this guy is another player that is a great fit for the zone blocking scheme and I think that if he could bulk up a little, he could be a damn good RT for us. I know, I know...hes a linemen that would be a right tackle as a first rounder and that might not be the best use of resources but he could be a very effective 10 year starter and its obvious that Matt Cassel needs a spotless pocket to work out of to be effective and this guy could play part of that role.

Akeem Ayers - UCLA LOLB ...not the fire breathing pass rusher we all want to complement Hali, but this guy can do about everything we need our LOLB to do...drop into coverage and have the speed to cover TEs and backs, hold the point against the run and seal the edge to not let backs hit the sideline. Im not 100% sold on him as I think we would be better served to use the pick on a WR that has a chance of being elite over a guy that isn't really an elite type player. This guy will be solid, but I dont think he would ever be known as a "great defender"

Michael Floyd - Notre Dame WR ...this guy can be a true elite target that has a lot of experience in our offense IF HE COULD STAY HEALTHY. He is a guy that could get 1200 yards and 10 tds year in, year out...or play a total of 20 or less games as a pro due to injuries...time will tell. With his ability and experience in our offense, he would be a good pick at 21.

Julio Jones Alabama WR ...this guy is a better version of Dwayne Bowe in many ways. If he had a quarterback, he would have true elite stats, but he drops catchable balls and has focus problems.

Im sure there are more that I am forgetting, but this is a list of guys that I would be happy with - excited about if we chose them with our first rounder.

ChiefsandO'sfan
01-25-2011, 01:12 PM
mortreport Chris Mortensen
Filed to ESPN: Orgeon State DT Stephen Paea, a potential 1st rd pick, out rest of Sr. Bowl. MRI, suspected lateral meniscus knee injury

Pestilence
01-25-2011, 01:16 PM
My list so far as possible choices as our first rounder are

Jerrel Powe - Ole Miss NT ...this guy could very well be on the serious radar as he has shown the ability to play effectively in a 2gap.

Jonathan Baldwin - Pittsburgh WR ...has the size and ability to make a difference in this offense. Sure hands. Big play guy that would be a very good pick for this team.

Stefen Wisniewski - Penn State C ...this guy is built to be a near dominant center in the exact scheme we run. I know, I know center isnt a position that usually requires this high of an investment, but this guy would fit in very nicely with Lilja and Asamoah to form one of the better interiors in the NFL and two of them would be extremely young. If he is still available at our second rounder, it is gonna be a no brainer, but he wont last that long. Depending on who else is on the board, this would be a solid pick for us at 21.

Anthony Costanzo - OT BC ....this guy is another player that is a great fit for the zone blocking scheme and I think that if he could bulk up a little, he could be a damn good RT for us. I know, I know...hes a linemen that would be a right tackle as a first rounder and that might not be the best use of resources but he could be a very effective 10 year starter and its obvious that Matt Cassel needs a spotless pocket to work out of to be effective and this guy could play part of that role.

Akeem Ayers - UCLA LOLB ...not the fire breathing pass rusher we all want to complement Hali, but this guy can do about everything we need our LOLB to do...drop into coverage and have the speed to cover TEs and backs, hold the point against the run and seal the edge to not let backs hit the sideline. Im not 100% sold on him as I think we would be better served to use the pick on a WR that has a chance of being elite over a guy that isn't really an elite type player. This guy will be solid, but I dont think he would ever be known as a "great defender"

Michael Floyd - Notre Dame WR ...this guy can be a true elite target that has a lot of experience in our offense IF HE COULD STAY HEALTHY. He is a guy that could get 1200 yards and 10 tds year in, year out...or play a total of 20 or less games as a pro due to injuries...time will tell. With his ability and experience in our offense, he would be a good pick at 21.

Julio Jones Alabama WR ...this guy is a better version of Dwayne Bowe in many ways. If he had a quarterback, he would have true elite stats, but he drops catchable balls and has focus problems.

Im sure there are more that I am forgetting, but this is a list of guys that I would be happy with - excited about if we chose them with our first rounder.

Michael Floyd is staying at Notre Dame for another season.

And no thanks to Akeem Ayers.

DJ's left nut
01-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Michael Floyd is staying at Notre Dame for another season.

And no thanks to Akeem Ayers.

BC is right about him, though.

The Patriots don't use 'fire breathing pass rushers' as their OLBs. They use versatile, athletic defenders that can operate in space and get a handful of 'opportunity' sacks.

If you're running Pitt's scheme, Von Miller is your guy or even Aldon Smith. But with the scheme we run (a stupid one, IMO), Ayers is pretty much a perfect complement to Hali.

I could absolutely see him being our pick. Ultimately, I can't see him busting at all. He will be no worse than a competent starter and may even be a little more than that. At 21, that's a pretty decent pick.

He's not my first choice, but he's not a disaster either. I get a vibe from him much like I got from Hali when we got him. I knew Hali would be a fine player and a solid pick at worst, I was lukewarm on his upside and never expected him to be the HR threat he's turned into.

Perhaps lightening will strike twice.

Rausch
01-25-2011, 01:26 PM

I'm big on value over need but running a 3-4 without a NT is like running a WCO without a decent QB. It all starts with that NT.

I'll be the last guy to argue who the best get is this year but we need to find someone and I think it's a big enough need that we might have to spend more due to it.

WR and NT are just huge needs with no depth at all. Needs we absolutely have to address somehow (free agency, trade, draft, whatever...)