PDA

View Full Version : KU Little cleared to play

Shogun
01-11-2011, 01:12 PM
LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP)

Mario Little, the senior forward for No. 3 Kansas who missed six games after being charged in a fight, has been cleared to play.

Coach Bill Self announced the decision late Monday. The 22-year-old Little was arrested Dec. 16 after a fight involving his girlfriend and others. He was charged with seven misdemeanors.

Self said Little received a diversion agreement from Lawrence Municipal Court for two battery charges and will receive weekly counseling through the end of the season. He said Little deserves a second chance to finish his career in uniform.

Little played in nine games before he was suspended and averaged 6.2 points per game.

Kansas next plays Wednesday at Iowa State.

Fritz88
01-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Former Chargers DC Ron Rivera has agreed to become Panthers next HC. Two sides now putting finishing touches on the contract.

Shogun
01-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Holy shit if true

Saulbadguy
01-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Six games is about the time it takes to heal a busted fist.

kstater
01-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Can't let the punishment extend to league play.

kstater
01-11-2011, 01:39 PM
That Releford injury wouldn't have anything to do with this would it?

CoMoChief
01-11-2011, 01:51 PM

If I were one to bet it would have EVERYTHING to do with the Releford injury.

Fritz88
01-11-2011, 01:52 PM

Olukemi leads OSU past No. 17 K-State 76-62

Mr. Kotter
01-11-2011, 01:54 PM
If I were one to bet it would have EVERYTHING to do with the Releford injury.

Yeah, I'm sure no other program in the Big12 would ever give a kid like Little a second chance. No sirree.

Jethopper
01-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Bo Pelini coaches KU Basketball?

Saulbadguy
01-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Yeah, I'm sure no other program in the Big12 would ever give a kid like Little a second chance. No sirree.

Baylor.

Mr. Kotter
01-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Baylor.

Yeah, maybe. Heck but the rest of the Big 12 schools like Mizzou, KState, Iowa State, OSU, et al...are squeaky clean, in terms of their ethics. Boy scouts all, right? Heh.

kstater
01-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Olukemi leads OSU past No. 17 K-State 76-62

Pigboy's key 3-pointers help topple #1 Kansas

CoMoChief
01-11-2011, 02:02 PM

That wasn't exactly my point. I never said he would never play again. Nor did I ever think that.

hawkchief
01-11-2011, 02:05 PM

Luis Colon was just a fast-healer I guess.

DA_T_84
01-11-2011, 02:06 PM
One game suspension for each person he assaulted?

Bambi
01-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Should be done for the year at least.

6 games is a joke.

Pants
01-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Should be done for the year at least.

6 games is a joke.

Why? Because he saw his girl getting pounded by someone else, lost control and shoved some people? Please. It's not like he beat the bitch and dragged her down the stairs by her hair.

Mario has never been a thug, dude just lost his cool. It's not like we really need his 6 PGM.

Fritz88
01-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Luis Colon was just a fast-healer I guess.

LMAOLMAO

Lzen
01-11-2011, 03:43 PM
The rival fans comment are hilarious. Talk about loss of perspective. Yeah, Mario Little has been so valuable to KU that they absolutely had to find a way to get him back. :rolleyes:

Silock
01-11-2011, 03:49 PM

It was being talked about by Self long before the Releford injury.

Lzen
01-11-2011, 03:59 PM
It was being talked about by Self long before the Releford injury.

Take your facts and get out of here. We don't need no facts around here.

Tactical Funky
01-11-2011, 04:05 PM
It's not like Little is a thug like CJ Giles was; Giles was given a second chance and blew it and was promptly kicked off the team by Self. Self knew KU would take a PR hit if he reinstated Little, so he obviously feels the kid deserves a second chance, especially since he is fulfilling his court-obligated duties. And please, not having Little on the floor has hardly hurt KU, so it's not like Self is only reinstating him because of Releford's ankle injury - plus I've heard that Releford was cleared to play on Wednesday following Sunday's game.

If Little continues to follow the terms of his diversion agreement, I don't see why he should be punished further. He lost his cool after having a few drinks and then discovering his girlfriend was cheating on him. It's not like he pulled her down the stairs by her hair or anything. I'll admit that I was no angel during my early years in college and I'm eternally grateful I was given a second chance by those in positions of authority.

DA_T_84
01-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Why? Because he saw his girl getting pounded by someone else, lost control and shoved some people? Please. It's not like he beat the bitch and dragged her down the stairs by her hair.

Mario has never been a thug, dude just lost his cool. It's not like we really need his 6 PGM.

You did against UCLA

Buehler445
01-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Not to hijack, but what happened to Releford? Was it a sprained ankle like it looked like or what?

Watching that shit made MY ankle hurt.

Pants
01-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Not to hijack, but what happened to Releford? Was it a sprained ankle like it looked like or what?

Watching that shit made MY ankle hurt.

Yeah, sprained ankle. Will prolly miss a game or two.

Pants
01-11-2011, 05:45 PM
You did against UCLA

We would have won without him. And if we didn't, we'd be at 14-1. Like I said, to insinuate that he was only cleared because we need him, is idiotic and SBG knows this. Now shoo, Dante. I don't go and troll your threads even though your team has pathetically collapsed during the one year when the were some sort of expectations.

ROYC75
01-11-2011, 06:35 PM
We would have won without him. And if we didn't, we'd be at 14-1. Like I said, to insinuate that he was only cleared because we need him, is idiotic and SBG knows this. Now shoo, Dante. I don't go and troll your threads even though your team has pathetically collapsed during the one year when the were some sort of expectations.

Yeah but losing that one game would have given the rivals the warmest feeling in their pants since they last pissed in them. Should all the Kitten players be kicked off for stealing clothes, seems like they can't steal enough passes to win some games. FTR, crap happens to teenagers, young adults because common sense isn't always a priority in their lives, kinda like principal over matter.

It's still the same, You can never please a rival fan unless you lose a game.

DA_T_84
01-11-2011, 06:51 PM

Wasn't trolling, just posing a counterpoint. And to my earlier post, he quite literally was suspended one game more than the number of people he 'allegedly' assaulted.

Do you need him to have a successful season? Absolutely not. And, you might not have won that game without him.

So take a deep breath, babe.

KC_Connection
01-11-2011, 07:04 PM
I'd rather Little not play in our final 9, really. The guy can't defend anybody on the court and isn't anywhere near as good offensively as Elijah Johnson or Travis Releford. Self's probably figured this out for himself, though.

Braincase
01-11-2011, 07:43 PM
And the kstate fans are mocking this? Pot/Kettle/Black?

mikeyis4dcats.
01-11-2011, 08:00 PM
And the kstate fans are mocking this? Pot/Kettle/Black?

when was the last time we lightly disciplined a guy who beat on his girl, another guy, and followed them to another place to do it some more?

violence against women should be an auto-boot

Silock
01-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Little didn't beat on anyone.

I don't agree with him being re-instated, either. But let's not confuse facts with fiction.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Little didn't beat on anyone.

I don't agree with him being re-instated, either. But let's not confuse facts with fiction.

I'm sorry, to be technical, he shoved 2 women. A shove is still battery.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Police were called to a Lawrence apartment complex at 2:45 a.m. They said the 22-year-old senior had gone to his girlfriend's apartment and got into a fight with a 19-year-old man who was there.
Little's girlfriend fled during the altercation and went to a friend's apartment at the complex, where she was followed by Little, police said. He is accused of pushing a woman there, then battering his girlfriend after finding her in an upstairs bedroom.
Police said Little also shoved a man who attempted to separate him and his girlfriend before several people subdued Little until officers arrived.
He was arrested on four counts of battery, two counts of criminal damage to property and one count of criminal trespassing. He posted $700 bond and was released Thursday morning.

Sounds like a real saint.

Buehler445
01-11-2011, 08:23 PM
I'd rather Little not play in our final 9, really. The guy can't defend anybody on the court and isn't anywhere near as good offensively as Elijah Johnson or Travis Releford. Self's probably figured this out for himself, though.

I pretty much agree here. I thought there might be some minutes for him if we need a spark. But Releford REALLY stepped up and I think the minutes are his. Johnson is playing much much better too, although I don't think Little will take EJ's minutes.

Braincase
01-11-2011, 09:11 PM
when was the last time we lightly disciplined a guy who beat on his girl, another guy, and followed them to another place to do it some more?

violence against women should be an auto-boot

Gotcha. Any sales going on at Dillards? We've defined a "shove"... care to define "shoplifting"?

Silock
01-11-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm sorry, to be technical, he shoved 2 women. A shove is still battery.

And they didn't want to press charges, either. No one is saying he didn't do anything wrong. I still can't find confirmation that he allegedly shoved more than one woman. Plus, none of the victims wanted to testify, so . . . you pretty much end up with diversion because there's not a big case here.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/jan/11/city-prosecutor-reveals-details-mario-littles-dive/

Kansas University senior basketball player Mario Little must complete anger management counseling and 30 hours of community service as part of a diversion agreement for his battery case in Lawrence Municipal Court.

City prosecutor Jerry Little also said Tuesday afternoon that victims in the case didn’t want to prosecute.

“He committed these offenses,” Jerry Little said. “And I think what he got out of it from diversion is more than what he’d get if we went to trial and he was found guilty.”

KU coach Bill Self had said Monday night that Mario Little had received a diversion agreement on two battery charges related to a Dec. 16 incident in which he was accused of shoving a 22-year-old woman into a sink. Self also announced he cleared Little, a redshirt senior from Chicago, to return to competition after missing six games during a suspension.

Jerry Little on Tuesday released the terms the two sides agreed to for the diversion agreement on two counts of misdemeanor battery. To qualify for diversion defendants must have no prior criminal history.

Jerry Little said the terms are:

• To stay out of further legal trouble for one year.

• Write a letter of apology to the victims in the case.

• Complete anger management counseling at his own cost. Self has said counseling will continue through the basketball season.

• Pay $250 in diversion fees and court costs.

• Complete 30 hours of community service.

Mario Little had apologized publicly the morning after he was arrested.

According to the original police report, officers said early on Dec. 16 he confronted the woman who was inside a residence with a 19-year-old Lawrence man. Jerry Little on Tuesday referred to the woman as Mario Little’s ex-girlfriend.

The report said Little then got into an altercation with the man and chased the woman as she ran to a nearby residence, where he later pushed her into a sink.

He had originally faced two more counts of battery for pushing another woman and an altercation with another man. Jerry Little said his office agreed to drop those two counts along with charges of criminal damage and trespassing.

He said Mario Little either has already repaired or agreed to repair a door he damaged that night.

Jerry Little and Mario Little are not related.

Self on Tuesday further discussed his decision to reinstate Little for competition.

“It wasn’t an easy decision. I believe 100 percent in my heart it’s the right decision,” Self said. “I tried to look at it as if he was my own child. We let the legal system play out. He got diversion (for the two battery charges), went through the courts, he’s done a lot of things through us.

“I had thought that holding him out six games and bringing him back for conference if I was going to bring him back was the right time to do it.

“He’s handled this as well as you can considering how much it’s hurt him,” Self added.

Self said removing Little from the program simply did not fit in this particular situation.

“A big part of his life is wrapped into what happens here with him as a Kansas basketball player. Five minutes of whatever happened — and we know something did happen and it was wrong — to totally affect his opportunity to play overseas, his opportunity to finish in uniform and have a good experience that would be a good springboard for the rest of his life over that I thought was too severe to take from him,” Self said.

“I feel I’d seriously be letting him down as his coach, somebody that said I’d always look out for him and have his back in this particular situation because I believe he has done what he should have done (since the incident) and certainly I know the remorse he feels and has felt because of it.”

Lzen
01-12-2011, 08:56 AM

I think you're missing the point. Sometimes the initial police report sounds a lot worse than what actually happened. When i first heard of this, I was thinking the same. But now I feel that Self is making the correct decision. And it has nothing to do with what he can do for the Jayhawks on the basketball court. They don't really need him. Anyone who thinks its about that is an idiot, IMO.

Lzen
01-12-2011, 08:58 AM
It wasnt an easy decision. I believe 100 percent in my heart its the right decision, Self said. I tried to look at it as if he was my own child. We let the legal system play out. He got diversion (for the two battery charges), went through the courts, hes done a lot of things through us.
I had thought that holding him out six games and bringing him back for conference if I was going to bring him back was the right time to do it.
Hes handled this as well as you can considering how much its hurt him, Self added.
Self said removing Little from the program simply did not fit in this particular situation.
A big part of his life is wrapped into what happens here with him as a Kansas basketball player. Five minutes of whatever happened and we know something did happen and it was wrong to totally affect his opportunity to play overseas, his opportunity to finish in uniform and have a good experience that would be a good springboard for the rest of his life over that I thought was too severe to take from him, Self said.
I feel Id seriously be letting him down as his coach, somebody that said Id always look out for him and have his back in this particular situation because I believe he has done what he should have done (since the incident) and certainly I know the remorse he feels and has felt because of it.

Reerun_KC
01-12-2011, 09:00 AM
Pretty good statement by Coach Self...

hawkchief
01-12-2011, 09:29 AM

No way he could make his way on the KSU team that parades such a great group of kids through each and every years. I think there are even a few on the team that haven't had to sit out for disciplinary issues.

Braincase
01-12-2011, 10:13 AM
No way he could make his way on the KSU team that parades such a great group of kids through each and every years. I think there are even a few on the team that haven't had to sit out for disciplinary issues.

I'm going to guess that Little's disciplinary issues didn't require an investigation from the NCAA?

CoMoChief
01-12-2011, 12:44 PM
I'm going to guess that Little's disciplinary issues didn't require an investigation from the NCAA?

Why would it?