PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Would going back to the 4-3 defense be a stupid move at this point?

Coogs
01-11-2011, 08:21 PM
I watched a bit on the 6 PM sports where Haley said he and the coaches would go back a review everything from this past season. IMO, since we really did not add much to the defensive front 7 from this past season besides Smith, we still should take a look at transforming back to the 4-3 defense vs the 3-4. Even though the defense was much improved, it just seem as if the current personal we have in that front 7 would take this defense to the next level much faster than still trying to acquire both a dominate NT and a dominate rushbacker... plus fill all of the other holes that still exist on the offensive side of the ball, which are many.

pr_capone
01-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Would going back to the 4-3 defense be a stupid move at this point?

yes

Demonpenz
01-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Just when we got DJ and Hali playing well?

milkman
01-11-2011, 08:25 PM
yes

Seconded.

SNR
01-11-2011, 08:27 PM
May as well cut Tyson Jackson now if we're going to do that.

Not saying that's a bad idea, but you know...

Buehler445
yes

Seconded.

Call to question.

Coogs
Nevermind, I'll put that thought to bed.

notorious
01-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Not going to happen.

BUT, if they do, I hope that they use Dorsey like Sapp was used instead of wasting him like the ****stick before Haley did.

chiefzilla1501
01-11-2011, 08:29 PM
I watched a bit on the 6 PM sports where Haley said he and the coaches would go back a review everything from this past season. IMO, since we really did not add much to the defensive front 7 from this past season besides Smith, we still should take a look at transforming back to the 4-3 defense vs the 3-4. Even though the defense was much improved, it just seem as if the current personal we have in that front 7 would take this defense to the next level much faster than still trying to acquire both a dominate NT and a dominate rushbacker... plus fill all of the other holes that still exist on the offensive side of the ball, which are many.

The Chiefs aren't that far away from a terrific 3-4. We're too deep in to switch over now.

Nose Tackles aren't that difficult to find. They're incredibly important and because they're important, we think they're hard to find. THat's not the case. It just so happens that the Chiefs haven't committed any effort to finding one.

You don't need a dominant pass rusher as your rush backer on the left side. That makes that position easier to fill.

The 3-4 is still a vastly superior defense and if we've come this far, might as well complete it. We're not that far away.

the Talking Can
01-11-2011, 08:37 PM
hope not, i love the 3-4

we just need a nt and another lb

3rd&48ers
01-11-2011, 08:39 PM
No it would be ok to go back to the 4-3 because the season is over and you have nothing to lose.

That is all

Rausch
01-11-2011, 08:43 PM
hope not, i love the 3-4

This...

JASONSAUTO
01-11-2011, 08:47 PM
hope not, i love the 3-4

Yep this.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reaper16
01-11-2011, 08:49 PM
It'd be kinda' stupid, yeah.

Chiefshrink
01-11-2011, 08:50 PM
The Chiefs aren't that far away from a terrific 3-4. We're too deep in to switch over now.

Nose Tackles aren't that difficult to find. They're incredibly important and because they're important, we think they're hard to find. THat's not the case. It just so happens that the Chiefs haven't committed any effort to finding one.

You don't need a dominant pass rusher as your rush backer on the left side. That makes that position easier to fill.

The 3-4 is still a vastly superior defense and if we've come this far, might as well complete it. We're not that far away.

This:thumb:

kcfanXIII
01-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Too far in to it to turn back. A couple more starters and some depth. Going to be interesting offseason. Oh and there aren't that many holes to fill on offense. Interior Oline and a wide receiver should be enough.

Gadzooks
01-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Dorsey would be a star in a 4-3 D, move Hali to LDE, Jackson to RDE and voila.

ChiefsCountry
01-11-2011, 09:52 PM
I love the 4-3 but we are to far along in our 3-4 development to switch back.

Rain Man
01-11-2011, 09:59 PM
I'd like to do a deal where we look at ten random plays over the course of the season by each player, just to see how they perform. I'd go so far as to say that Ron Edwards is better than he's given credit for on this board. He's not a star, but if he was as bad as people like to propose, our run defense wouldn't have been as good as it was this year.

nascher
01-11-2011, 10:13 PM
exactly Ron Edwards did his job and Dorsey has never played better than this year at DE.

We need more help at LB (replace Vrabel) and another Pass rusher. The Secondary is young and should only get better.

Farzin
01-11-2011, 10:15 PM
I love the 4-3 but we are to far along in our 3-4 development to switch back.

This. The Chiefs brought in players like Tyson Jackson and they changed Glenn Dorsey and Tamba Hali. I don't think Hali would even want to switch again.

chiefzilla1501
01-11-2011, 10:47 PM
I'd like to do a deal where we look at ten random plays over the course of the season by each player, just to see how they perform. I'd go so far as to say that Ron Edwards is better than he's given credit for on this board. He's not a star, but if he was as bad as people like to propose, our run defense wouldn't have been as good as it was this year.

Definitely not. But I think you saw that this year, we won our games by overcommitting. That's why we got smacked by a balanced team like the Chargers.

We're good against the run when we commit most of our front 7 to clogging up that interior. Thing about Ron Edwards is I just don't see him command that many doubles or triples and he is inconsistent at penetrating the pocket. At best, he's adequate. At worst, I think I agree that maybe he's below average as opposed to horrible. But man, you get a consistent Nose Tackle, and I think our DE's have potential to be really disruptive.

googlegoogle
01-12-2011, 12:01 AM
Like the 3-4. Need a few more pieces.

Steelers,Ravens & Pats run the 3-4.

Rudy lost the toss
01-12-2011, 12:11 AM
So how are Mario Williams and Brian Cushing gonna do in the 3-4? Any takes?

HotRoute
01-12-2011, 12:21 AM
how many of the teams left in the playoffs run a 3-4 ?? Lets see here

Patriots
Jets
Steelers
Ravens
Packers
Seahawks

so all but two
ATL and CHI

Id say its stupid to change ya

HotRoute
01-12-2011, 12:22 AM
exactly Ron Edwards did his job and Dorsey has never played better than this year at DE.

We need more help at LB (replace Vrabel) and another Pass rusher. The Secondary is young and should only get better.

STUDEBAKER

HotRoute
01-12-2011, 12:26 AM
Dorsey would be a star in a 4-3 D, move Hali to LDE, Jackson to RDE and voila.

If anything it would be gilberry at LDE, jackson at RDE, dorsey and s.smith at NT's and a rotation of d.johnson and belcher at MLB and hali and d.williams at ROLB and vrabel and studebaker at LOLB.....

But it aint gonna happen

Fritz88
01-12-2011, 01:46 AM
2 5
Posted via Mobile Device

eazyb81
01-12-2011, 06:35 AM

Good post, but I'm not sure I agree that nose tackles are not that difficult to find.

Sure, a random NT is easy to find - technically, you can plug any 300+ DT into the position (see Ron Edwards). But stud NTs - which are what great 3-4 defenses usually feature - are just not that plentiful.

Of the best NTs in the league - Vince Wilfork, Casey Hampton, BJ Raji, Kris Jenkins - 3 were drafted in the 1st round, 1 in the 2nd. On the surface that sounds like every other position in the NFL. But the difference is that players with the right size, skillset, and work ethic to star as a 3-4 NT are extremely rare.

This draft appears to be like last year's, where they are a few mid-round guys who appear to have the right size, but it's a crapshoot if they will actually thrive in a system where they are taking on 2-3 linemen every play.

TheGuardian
01-12-2011, 07:11 AM
You mean move back to the 4-3 after DJ finally had a pro bowl type year and Hali led the whole AFC in sacks???

Yeah, stupid would be an understatement.

first off, Dorsey is NOT Warren Sapp and will never be that kind of player. Why do some of you STILLLL not get this? It's amazing to me. He's kicking ass in this scheme in his third year and you would want to move him again because you still think he's a Sapp type player? It's like some of you don't even watch the game and understand what you're watching.

Second, all we need is a nose tackle and outside backer. Tyson Jackson's play actually started to improve again late in the season. I bet you money that he takes a similar step that Dorsey did next season. He's talented, he just has to learn how to play at the NFL level and that slowly appears to be happening.

With a true nose and a 10 sack guy opposite of Hali this defense will be top 5 in the NFL.

So yeah, why in the hell would we switch back to a 4-3 again???

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-12-2011, 08:10 AM
The 3-4 is not a vastly superior defense. That's complete bunk.

The only thing that matters with any defensive scheme is the personnel you have to run it. Whether it's a Tampa 2, a man-pressure 4-3, a Belichick style 3-4, or a LeBeau/Pittsburgh style 3-4, if you have good players, the D looks good.

TheGuardian
01-12-2011, 08:20 AM
The 3-4 is not a vastly superior defense. That's complete bunk.

The only thing that matters with any defensive scheme is the personnel you have to run it. Whether it's a Tampa 2, a man-pressure 4-3, a Belichick style 3-4, or a LeBeau/Pittsburgh style 3-4, if you have good players, the D looks good.

Well duh.

Amnorix
01-12-2011, 08:59 AM
Four AFC Divisional Round playoff teams run the 3-4.

And you're thinking fo switching to 4-3? Please do -- it means fewer teams hunting for those players that excel in the 3-4.

kaplin42
01-12-2011, 09:09 AM
yes

/thread over