PDA

View Full Version : Life If you could pick a honeymoon location in the US

El Jefe
01-12-2011, 08:29 AM
Where would you go? I'm just looking for some ideas if we decide to stay in the states. Anyone have any good ideas?

edit: My budget is $3500 or under, requirements, somewhere warm with a beach that's nice.

EDIT: I have decided to look outside the US again and am now considering either Cozumel, or once again the D.R.

seclark
01-12-2011, 08:32 AM
anywhere w/a bed should work. it's a f@ckin honeymoon.
sec

patteeu
01-12-2011, 08:32 AM
What time of year?

HonestChieffan
01-12-2011, 08:38 AM
Close to the states.....Nanook Lodge in BC or Banff
In States...Sonoma Ca or Charleston SC/Beaufort SC

Bane
01-12-2011, 08:39 AM
I've been thinking about taking the wife to Veges to do the re-marry thing but I'm not sure she'd have me again.:p

Zeke
01-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Destin, FL

http://smashingusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Destin-Florida.jpg

Bewbies
01-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Destin, FL

http://smashingusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Destin-Florida.jpg

Same area, but Seaside is way better.

kc rush
01-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Depends upon the time of year and what you like to do. Ultimately seclark is right.

anywhere w/a bed should work. it's a f@ckin honeymoon.
sec

ChiTown
01-12-2011, 08:46 AM
I've been thinking about taking the wife to Veges to do the re-marry thing but I'm not sure she'd have me again.:p

:spock:

Never quite understood the "re-marry" thing. Gawdamnit, if you are re-doing something, wouldn't you opt for the "GTFO while you can", option?

:evil:

Reerun_KC
01-12-2011, 08:50 AM

Same here... Mrs Reerun_KC and I just celebrated our 19th anny...

I have been wanting to take her out there and do a cheesy while chapel renewal, just for the fun of it..

Reerun_KC
01-12-2011, 08:51 AM

Never quite understood the "re-marry" thing. Gawdamnit, if you are re-doing something, wouldn't you opt for the "GTFO while you can", option?

I take it that Mrs ChiTown wants to GTFO?

kepp
01-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Depends upon the time of year and what you like to do.

Right. If you're out-doorsy people I'd say go to a nice ski lodge somewhere and get snowed in.

Rooster
01-12-2011, 08:54 AM
Wichita KS is awesome 9 days out of the year.

ChiTown
I take it that Mrs ChiTown wants to GTFO?

Well, yeah. Poor gal has had to put up with me for nearly 18 years of her young life. I robbed her out of the cradle, ya know.

thecoffeeguy
Maui.

ChiTown
01-12-2011, 08:55 AM
Wichita KS is awesome 9 days out of the year.

I must be out of town every year on those 9 days.:banghead:

Graystoke
01-12-2011, 08:56 AM
How about Key West?
Kinda pricey but fun!

Reerun_KC
01-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Well, yeah. Poor gal has had to put up with me for nearly 18 years of her young life. I robbed her out of the cradle, ya know.

:thumb:

That happens when your da man...

Reerun_KC
01-12-2011, 08:58 AM
I must be out of town every year on those 9 days.:banghead:

I was going to go there and say something about Mrs Chitown... but decide to keep the thread from going in the wrong direction....

All in good fun...

DrRyan
01-12-2011, 09:00 AM
Maui.

This FTW.
Posted via Mobile Device

dpg4zombie
01-12-2011, 09:02 AM
Antigua was amazing

Bane
01-12-2011, 09:04 AM

Well we never had a real honey moon and such.I was broke as hell back then and I always kinda felt like I should have done more ya know.

Mr. Plow
01-12-2011, 09:08 AM

Don't tempt fate twice man.....you might lose. LMAO

jd1020
01-12-2011, 09:08 AM
I'd probably go to Montana... Glacier National Park. I like the whole hiking/mountain biking deal and the scenery is just beautiful there.

patteeu
01-12-2011, 09:12 AM
How about Key West?
Kinda pricey but fun!

Especially if this is a gay marriage.

Otter
01-12-2011, 09:18 AM
If you're the outdoors type:

Bar Harbor Maine. http://www.barharborinfo.com/

It's right next to Acadia National Park. http://www.nps.gov/acad/photosmultimedia/activitiesphotos.htm

One of the most beautiful places on earth. I plan on retiring there if all works out. Only 30 more years!

HonestChieffan
01-12-2011, 09:23 AM

It's right next to Acadia National Park. http://www.nps.gov/acad/photosmultimedia/activitiesphotos.htm

One of the most beautiful places on earth. I plan on retiring there if all works out. Only 30 more years!

Rockland is just south of Bar Harbor...home of the annual Maine Lobster Festival....a hoot.

Otter
01-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Rockland is just south of Bar Harbor...home of the annual Maine Lobster Festival....a hoot.

I'll have to check that out, never been. I go up there (Acadia & Bar Harbor) at least once a year. Fell in love the first time I laid eyes on her.

:D

Dallas Chief
01-12-2011, 09:26 AM

THIS. The wife and I had a getaway there a few years back. Beautiful place and lots to do. Took the high speed ferry to Nova Scotia for a couple of days as well. Whole trip was under $3k IIRC.

luv
01-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Wow. Any chance of narrowing down the search with a little more data? What time of year? What do you like to do?

Lake Taho, Estes Park, Boston, Sedona, Seattle, New Orleans, Chicago, Memphis....

jd1020
01-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Wow. Any chance of narrowing down the search with a little more data? What time of year? What do you like to do?

Lake Taho, Estes Park, Boston, Sedona, Seattle, New Orleans, Chicago, Memphis....

"Where would you go?"

Dayze
01-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Deluth.

luv
01-12-2011, 09:47 AM
"Where would you go?"

Any of those places except for Chicago or Memphis. I've already been there.

Bob Dole
01-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Antigua was amazing

Geography fail.

MOhillbilly
01-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Rockaway beach mo.

El Jefe
01-12-2011, 09:58 AM
What time of year?

Sorry for the delay, just got back on. May, and my budget is @$3500

El Jefe
01-12-2011, 10:05 AM

Sorry, I answered one of the questions a minute ago. I will say she said she wanted to go somewhere with a Beach, it's in May, and we like to do outdoors stuff, fishing, would love to try snorkling (insert obligatory honeymoon sex joke), swimming etc etc.

Groves
01-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Herman, MO.

Worked for us!

jd1020
01-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Sorry, I answered one of the questions a minute ago. I will say she said she wanted to go somewhere with a Beach, it's in May, and we like to do outdoors stuff, fishing, would love to try snorkling (insert obligatory honeymoon sex joke), swimming etc etc.

Sounds like a Hawaii type honeymoon, if getting there and back didn't eat too much of that savings.

luv
01-12-2011, 10:12 AM
$3500 would get you both on a nice cruise, wouldn't it?

MOhillbilly
01-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Herman, MO.

Worked for us!

There is an excellent ozarks video watch (pbs) about Herman mo.

Bob Dole
01-12-2011, 10:16 AM

Olathe!

Warrior5
01-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Sounds like a Hawaii type honeymoon, if getting there and back didn't eat too much of that savings.

If Hawaii is too pricey, check out Santa Catalina island...

Iowanian
01-12-2011, 10:19 AM
My favorite honeymoon location would be in vagina...and maybe the cheaper motel a little further south or the higher end place up north...with maybe a nice stop at the mountains on the way.

Graystoke
01-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Especially if this is a gay marriage.

No kidding. But it was a blast! I had more Drag Queens hitting on me then you could shake a fist at.

jd1020
01-12-2011, 10:24 AM
My favorite honeymoon location would be in vagina...and maybe the cheaper motel a little further south or the higher end place up north...with maybe a nice stop at the mountains on the way.

For some reason I confused "higher end" with what you later referred to as "the mountains." Now all I can picture is you with a Camel.

soopamanluva
01-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Hawaii is always nice.

WV
01-12-2011, 10:25 AM

Ding ding ding.....$3500 would get you a great cruise most likely with a balcony or maybe even a suite. You can do everything you listed on any number of cruises to the Eastern or Western Carribean. You may need to add money to it because of airfare, but you could also do a Hawaii cruise. I got engaged in Maui and it's beautiful. The only close second is Jamaica...it would probably be first if it weren't for the panhandlers.

Flachief58
01-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Rent a cabin in Pigeon Forge Tenn. If you like the outdoors, you'll love it there. I took the wife for our 10 year anniversary and loved it

patteeu
01-12-2011, 10:35 AM

May is too early in the year to go anywhere on the west coast except maybe SoCal (e.g. San Diego) if you want to swim at the beach, IMO. That water is freaking cold. I'd look at someplace in Florida or the Carolinas.

patteeu
01-12-2011, 10:36 AM

Cruise is a good idea.

HemiEd
01-12-2011, 10:38 AM

Or if he wants to make a short trip, HahaTonka (http://mostateparks.com/hahatonka.htm)

Bob Dole
01-12-2011, 10:40 AM
No kidding. But it was a blast! I had more Drag Queens hitting on me then you could shake a fist at.

Name change to "Gaystoke" coming up.

NTTAWWT

BigRedChief
01-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Ding ding ding.....$3500 would get you a great cruise most likely with a balcony or maybe even a suite. You can do everything you listed on any number of cruises to the Eastern or Western Carribean. You may need to add money to it because of airfare, but you could also do a Hawaii cruise. I got engaged in Maui and it's beautiful. The only close second is Jamaica...it would probably be first if it weren't for the panhandlers.no chit. Stay in your hotel and do it until you are raw while your hotel is going to exotic locations.

jd1020
01-12-2011, 10:41 AM
no chit. Stay in your hotel and do it until you are raw while your hotel is going to exotic locations.

Watch out for the Pirates!!!

ClevelandBronco
01-12-2011, 10:42 AM
...she said she wanted to go somewhere with a Beach...

Are you sure you heard her correctly? She may be trying to inform you that you've turned her into a lesbian.

Cave Johnson

The Keys are probably your best bet, since Hawaii is likely out of your price range.

Also, cruises are way lame.

Norman Einstein
Where would you go? I'm just looking for some ideas if we decide to stay in the states. Anyone have any good ideas?

If you have the money, Kauai, HI. Most scenic Island there and fewer people jamming up the beaches.

El Jefe
Ding ding ding.....$3500 would get you a great cruise most likely with a balcony or maybe even a suite. You can do everything you listed on any number of cruises to the Eastern or Western Carribean. You may need to add money to it because of airfare, but you could also do a Hawaii cruise. I got engaged in Maui and it's beautiful. The only close second is Jamaica...it would probably be first if it weren't for the panhandlers.

Are things rushed when you take a cruise or is everything very mellow.

luv
01-12-2011, 10:43 AM

That's what I was thinking. Plus, the scenery would be ever changing. And they usually make multiple stops. God, I want to take a cruise. Never been on one.

DaKCMan AP
01-12-2011, 10:46 AM
The Keys are probably your best bet, since Hawaii is likely out of your price range.

Also, cruises are way lame.

Going to the St. Thomas/St. Maarten or Aruba or Curacao or Jamaica or plenty of other Caribbean locations is 1)better than going to the Keys and 2)cheaper than Hawaii.

May I suggest Costa Rica? Flights there are relatively cheap and it has all of the activities you've listed - and much more.

El Jefe
01-12-2011, 10:46 AM
May is too early in the year to go anywhere on the west coast except maybe SoCal (e.g. San Diego) if you want to swim at the beach, IMO. That water is freaking cold. I'd look at someplace in Florida or the Carolinas.

Originally we were thinking of going to the Dominican Republic

WV
01-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Are things rushed when you take a cruise or is everything very mellow.

It's only as rushed as you make it. I can honestly tell you that I could never leave the ship and still have a good time, but only book what you think you can handle. Also some companies like Royal Caribbean have private islands and those stops are great wind down days. Royal Caribbean's is in the Bahamas and is nice. Some of the shore excursions are also a little pricey, but it's all what you make of it.

Otter
That's what I was thinking. Plus, the scenery would be ever changing. And they usually make multiple stops. God, I want to take a cruise. Never been on one.

Kinda

You can't fish, you can't jump in (well...) you can't see any marine life. I'm in the cruises are lame category.

http://www.placesidratherbe.com/images/CruiseShip/View%20From%20Balcony.jpg

Cave Johnson
Going to the St. Thomas/St. Maarten or Aruba or Curacao or Jamaica or plenty of other Caribbean locations is 1)better than going to the Keys and 2)cheaper than Hawaii.

May I suggest Costa Rica? Flights there are relatively cheap and it has all of the activities you've listed - and much more.

Absolutely, but he was limiting the range to the U.S. only.

The bottom line is, get a passport.

El Jefe
01-12-2011, 10:48 AM

Have you been to Costa Rica DaK? If so where did you stay, how much did you spend?

El Jefe
01-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Absolutely, but he was limiting the range to the U.S. only.

The bottom line is, get a passport.

Well see we have passports, I was just curious if anyone had any great places inside the US. We were looking at going to the D.R., but airfare is expensive.

jd1020
01-12-2011, 10:49 AM

If you look closely, you can see a speedboat with a harpoon launcher on the horizon.

jd1020
01-12-2011, 10:51 AM
If we are now going outside the US... Cancun, Mexico.

Otter
01-12-2011, 10:52 AM
If you look closely, you can see a speedboat with a harpoon launcher on the horizon.

A Greenpeace vs Japanese whalers would be sweet. I'd be willing to point the video camera from the bed to the window for that one.

patteeu
Originally we were thinking of going to the Dominican Republic

I don't know anything about the Dominican Republic, but anywhere in the Caribbean would probably fit your activities list pretty well. One thing you might consider doing if you decide to go someplace with great diving (Cayman Islands, Cozumel, many other Carribean/Gulf islands) is take some scuba lessons so you can scuba while you're there. It's a blast. You can actually take the lessons there too, if you want, but it cuts into your vacation time a bit.

DaKCMan AP
Have you been to Costa Rica DaK? If so where did you stay, how much did you spend?

I haven't been, but it's on my list and I know several people who have and loved it.

You mentioned DR, and I've heard great things about that place too. I've been for a day or so to private beaches on the island, but haven't spent much time there. It's another place that shouldn't be crazy pricey.

luv
Kinda

You can't fish, you can't jump in (well...) you can't see any marine life. I'm in the cruises are lame category.

They generally have pools on the ship, they'll make stop to enjoy touristy type stuff, and who wouldn't like waking up to that kind of scenery after days on end of having sex?

Otter
01-12-2011, 10:53 AM

Do you have "Be held for ransom with threat of being beheaded" on your bucket list?

DaKCMan AP
01-12-2011, 10:53 AM

Cancun is overrated, IMO.

Cave Johnson
01-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Well see we have passports, I was just curious if anyone had any great places inside the US. We were looking at going to the D.R., but airfare is expensive.

There are, just none that are great fits for your criteria.

Personally, my next big trip will be Acadia and Montreal, but that's more of a summer destination than late spring.

jd1020
01-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Do you have "Be held for ransom with threat of being beheaded" on your bucket list?

Los Pollos Hermanos
I wouldn't go on a cruise for my honeymoon. But if you do, make sure you upgrade to a room with a balcony. You're not going to want to be in a tiny interior room on your honeymoon.

Otter
They generally have pools on the ship, they'll make stop to enjoy touristy type stuff, and who wouldn't like waking up to that kind of scenery after days on end of having sex?

I can only dispense 5 or 6 times a day. What about the other 22 hours?

Cave Johnson

If you like tourist-y bullshit, it's great, though.

patteeu
I almost went on a cruise once that sounded pretty good to me. Rather than constantly sailing from port to port, this ship sailed to Bermuda, dropped anchor of several days, and then sailed back to the mainland. It was like having a floating, all-inclusive hotel in Bermuda, but you didn't have to worry about rushing around during the few hours you're in port so you could get back to the ship before it sailed for the night.

Bermuda probably isn't a good destination in May, but there may be other cruises like this that go to warmer places and give you more land time and less at-sea time.

DaKCMan AP
01-12-2011, 10:57 AM
If you like tourist-y bullshit, it's great, though.

Definitely.

luv
01-12-2011, 10:57 AM
I can only dispense 5 or 6 times a day. What about the other 22 hours?

Sleep, eat, swim, and take me dancing.

Otter
01-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Sleep, eat, swim, and take me dancing.

Lose you to a rich Saudi oil sheik at the roullete table after an 8am starting bender of rum drinks.

Maybe I'm not giving this enough of a chance.

luv
01-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Lose you to a rich Saudi oil sheik at the roullete table after an 8am starting bender of rum drinks.

Maybe I'm not giving this enough of a chance.

;)

KCUnited
01-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Pick an adults only all inclusive, most of them have honeymoon packages. From Ohio, you might get better bang for you buck on airfare to Mexico rather than the Caribbean.

eazyb81
01-12-2011, 11:22 AM
If you're not sticking with the US, look into St. Lucia. I've been to most of the islands in the Caribbean, and St. Lucia was the best combination of weather, beaches, locals, and activities.

Rain Man
01-12-2011, 11:24 AM
In the U.S., some obvious candidates are:

1. Hawaii
2. New York
3. A national park like Yosemite
4. Vail (summer only unless you ski)
5. Some spa in Arizona in Sedona or something (non-summer only unless you're up high)
6. Key West or Miami or somewhere
7. Maybe Santa Fe if you like spas
8. Martha's Vinyard or Nantucket or some such place
9. Alaskan cruise

eazyb81
01-12-2011, 11:24 AM

Eh, just depends what you're looking for.

If your goal is to get drunk, lay out in some awesome weather, and swim in the ocean, it fits the bill - and is cheaper than a Caribbean vacation.

There are other places I prefer, but Cancun is fine.

hawkchief
01-12-2011, 11:28 AM

Luv, you lost me at "Memphis".

luv
01-12-2011, 11:39 AM

Yeah, thinking about it, I was thinking mostly of the live blues. Outside of that, it's not exactly a romantic city.

Rain Man
01-12-2011, 11:57 AM
In the U.S., some obvious candidates are:

1. Hawaii
2. New York
3. A national park like Yosemite
4. Vail (summer only unless you ski)
5. Some spa in Arizona in Sedona or something (non-summer only unless you're up high)
6. Key West or Miami or somewhere
7. Maybe Santa Fe if you like spas
8. Martha's Vinyard or Nantucket or some such place
9. Alaskan cruise

10. Savannah or Charleston

BIG_DADDY
01-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Hawaii

DaKCMan AP
01-12-2011, 12:14 PM
People who are suggesting Hawaii: airfare alone would eat up half of his budget.

Places in FL, Central America, and certain Caribbean islands are at least 50% cheaper to fly to than Hawaii from Ohio.

bevischief
01-12-2011, 12:16 PM

NTTAWWT

LMAO

bevischief
01-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Florida, New York, Mexico, Denver.

El Jefe
01-12-2011, 12:22 PM
People who are suggesting Hawaii: airfare alone would eat up half of his budget.

Places in FL, Central America, and certain Caribbean islands are at least 50% cheaper to fly to than Hawaii from Ohio.

Exactly, I can't afford to pay $2k in just airfare

Saulbadguy
01-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Disney World.

Rain Man
01-12-2011, 12:25 PM

What's his budget? I didn't read the whole thread.

DeezNutz
01-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Captiva Island, Florida.

Fantastic. Cheap flights into Fort Myers, and then you'll need to rent a car. Inexpensive trip, relatively speaking.

Jewish Rabbi
01-12-2011, 12:27 PM

No shit. Memphis is probably the worst city in America.

patteeu
01-12-2011, 12:30 PM
What's his budget? I didn't read the whole thread.

Here ya go:

patteeu
01-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Edit your requirements and your budget into the OP, kcchiefsfanGoJC.

Graystoke
01-12-2011, 01:00 PM

NTTAWWT

Funny....I often forget to put the "R" in Graystoke...I will get the message wrong username.

Graystoke
01-12-2011, 01:04 PM
The biggest bang for your buck still resides in Mexico.

Try Cozumel.
I was there for the New Year. Cheap Drinks, Cheap Motels, good looking Canadian women....well your on your Honeymoon so cheap drinks.

patteeu
01-12-2011, 01:08 PM
The biggest bang for your buck still resides in Mexico.

Try Cozumel.
I was there for the New Year. Cheap Drinks, Cheap Motels, good looking Canadian women....well your on your Honeymoon so cheap drinks.

And some of the best diving in the Gulf/Caribbean.

Graystoke
01-12-2011, 01:13 PM
And some of the best diving in the Gulf/Caribbean.

Indeed it is! The coastal currents just glide you on by! And the rates are very good for diving.
Don't try to fish there. I went out on my own with my fly rod to do some flats on the north tip and it was just crummy.

El Jefe
01-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Alright I used Priceline negotiator and this is what they came up with, chime in what you guys think if you would:

http://travela.priceline.com/vp-web/hotelOverview.do?jsk=9803010a2203010a20110112191246A1F701738313&plf=PCLN

brorth
01-12-2011, 01:24 PM
US Virgin Islands don't require a passport, and a little looking will get two people to Bolongo Bay for 10 days pretty easy.

Or take a couple hundred of that budget and get two passports, then find a two for one special to somewhere in the Caribbean.

patteeu
01-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Alright I used Priceline negotiator and this is what they came up with, chime in what you guys think if you would:

http://travela.priceline.com/vp-web/hotelOverview.do?jsk=9803010a2203010a20110112191246A1F701738313&plf=PCLN

The pictures look nice. Read the reviews of others who have stayed there. There are a bunch of reviews here (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150809-d939910-Reviews-Aura_Cozumel_Wyndham_Grand_Bay-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html).

Hog Farmer
01-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Islamabad, Pakistan is very scenic.

Graystoke
01-12-2011, 01:28 PM

That doesn't seem to bad. Your a ways from the downtown area & the Ferry to Playa, but that can be a good thing to get away from the Crusero's.
Cozumel has very little crime, is clean and just beautiful.

KCUnited
01-12-2011, 01:30 PM

Price is right. I was in PDC last month for around that. I'm with Pat, hit tripadvisor for reviews and research room categories to find out what's right for you.

El Jefe
01-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Is there any safety concerns with going to Mexico at this time?

Los Pollos Hermanos
01-12-2011, 01:51 PM

You mean other then the dozen people they found decapitated in Acapulco last week?

eazyb81
01-12-2011, 01:53 PM

Yes, but stay on your resort and you will be fine.

patteeu
01-12-2011, 01:53 PM

No concerns whatsoever, amigo.

13 killed, some beheaded, around Acapulco (http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/03/13/13-killed-some-beheaded-around-Acapulco/UPI-89401268519372/)

ACAPULCO, Mexico, March 13 (UPI) -- At least 13 people were killed Saturday, some beheaded, in the Acapulco, Mexico, area as foreign tourists began arriving at the beach resort, officials say.

Those killed included five police officers who were ambushed while patrolling the outskirts of the city early in the morning, The Los Angeles Times reported.

The bodies of eight bullet-riddled men were found in three locations over the next eight hours, police said. Four of them had been beheaded in a way typical of drug traffickers, the Times said. Traffickers have been at war with each other and the government for the last three years.

Guerrero state, which includes Acapulco, is one of Mexico's most violent jurisdictions, the Times reported.

Local news channels have been trying to give a sense of normality to the situation, showing young U.S., Canadian and European tourists already enjoying themselves on Acapulco's beaches, the Times said. A holiday has made a three-day weekend for Mexicans.

But Heriberto Salinas Altes, head of public security in Guerrero said an increase in violence was expected because of new power struggles among drug gangs.

The Times said more than 18,000 have been killed since President Felipe Calderon sent in the army to fight the cartels in December 2006.

patteeu
01-12-2011, 01:55 PM

What made you decide against the Dominican Republic? Cozumel is great, but I'm sure there are other great places that fit your requirements. I wouldn't worry too much about Mexican violence in Cozumel as long as you stay in your resort or in the well-traveled parts of the town, but I wouldn't hesitate to look at other options either.

eazyb81
01-12-2011, 01:56 PM

That is a solid deal. I doubt you'll find one much better.

LiveSteam
01-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Durango Colorado. Then take the train to Silverton.
Any woman that would not find this trip beyond beautiful & romantic. Aint worth marrying

El Jefe
01-12-2011, 02:02 PM
What made you decide against the Dominican Republic? Cozumel is great, but I'm sure there are other great places that fit your requirements. I wouldn't worry too much about Mexican violence in Cozumel as long as you stay in your resort or in the well-traveled parts of the town, but I wouldn't hesitate to look at other options either.

Airfare is crazy expensive, almost 2k for both of us, the airfare costs more than the resort.

patteeu
01-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Airfare is crazy expensive, almost 2k for both of us, the airfare costs more than the resort.

Excellent reason. In that case, I'm sure you'll be happy with Cozumel.

Graystoke
01-12-2011, 02:10 PM
There is very little crime in Cozumel. Seeing that it is an island, with the only way on is by air or ferry, crime is kept at a minimum.

We went to a strip club way off the beaten path and it was freaking hillarious. They had little PlaySkool tables and chairs with strippers not over 5 feet tall.
If you do go to Cozumel PM me and I will give you some names of great eatery's to go to.

jd1020
01-12-2011, 02:14 PM
There is very little crime in Cozumel. Seeing that it is an island, with the only way on is by air or ferry, crime is kept at a minimum.

We went to a strip club way off the beaten path and it was freaking hillarious. They had little PlaySkool tables and chairs with strippers not over 5 feet tall.
If you do go to Cozumel PM me and I will give you some names of great eatery's to go to.

Nothing says honeymoon like a dwarf strip club.

Graystoke
01-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Nothing says honeymoon like a dwarf strip club.

My wife had a blast! She stayed home!

LiveSteam
01-12-2011, 02:19 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZUJl628NSbI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZUJl628NSbI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

suzzer99
01-12-2011, 02:31 PM
I've been on that train. It's all right not honeymoon material.

kcsportszone
01-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Florida would definatly be my vote

El Jefe
01-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Florida would definatly be my vote

Strong first post brah, where at in Florida?

PunkinDrublic
01-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Costa Rica. I went in 2008 and might go again in May.

LiveSteam
01-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Costa Rica. I went in 2008 and might go again in May.

I heard the Cocaine is to die for ,down there.

loochy
01-12-2011, 03:27 PM

edit: My budget is $3500 or under, requirements, somewhere warm with a beach that's nice.

EDIT: I have decided to look outside the US again and am now considering either Cozumel, or once again the D.R.

I just got back from my friend's wedding south of Cancun last night. The area south of Cancun is beautiful and it has warm weather. I felt completely safe the whole time I was there and the locals were pretty friendly.

The resort I stayed at was an all inclusive (all you can eat, drink, activities, etc.) called Hotel Marina El Cid Span & Beach Resort. It was $125 per night per person. I had a great experience there. http://www.elcid.com/marina_beach_resort/ (http://www.elcid.com/marina_beach_resort/) All of the staff spoke English and was very eager to help. The food was pretty good, and room service was available at all hours so you could get food even if a restaurant was closed. The bartenders weren't stingy with the drinks and they used good liquor. I definitely recommend it.

Edit: The plane tickets were pretty cheap too. I paid $230 round trip from DFW to Cancun (before taxes and fees).

ThaVirus
01-12-2011, 03:32 PM
There's nothing more appealing to me than tropical weather, palm trees and clear blue waters.. So i'd say anywhere with a beach. Many places in Florida (stick to the Gulf coast) and the Carribean would be great choices.. People suggesting Hawaii are crazy. Airfare there would be ridiculous. It would be best to fly somewhere almost as nice, but much much closer and spend more money while you're there than simply blowing your load on the flight.

Side note: You should avoid blowing your load on anything other than your wife.

sondevil
01-12-2011, 03:36 PM

Costa Rica would be my choice as well. Went this past year and it was incredible. We stayed in two places to get the full experience. Central Costa Rica by the active volcano and then the Pacific Coast for the beach.

DaneMcCloud
01-12-2011, 03:49 PM
How many days do you plan to spend on your honeymoon?

I'd recommend visiting a few of the Hawaiian Islands. I'd head to the Big Island of Hawaii first for three or four days, then hit Maui for three days or so. I'd avoid Waikiki because it has too much of a stateside big city feel. It's fun to visit for a few days but not for a honeymoon, IMO.

The Hilton Waikoloa is an awesome hotel on the Big Island and there are several restaurants and swimming pools within the complex, so there's no need to rent a car. There's a golf course and putt-putt course there and they also have the option to "swim with the dolphins" in their closed off lagoon.

LoneWolf
01-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Maui.

This, the wife and I go back to Maui every other year. The most relaxing, beautiful place on earth IMO.

El Jefe
01-12-2011, 09:50 PM
How many days do you plan to spend on your honeymoon?

I'd recommend visiting a few of the Hawaiian Islands. I'd head to the Big Island of Hawaii first for three or four days, then hit Maui for three days or so. I'd avoid Waikiki because it has too much of a stateside big city feel. It's fun to visit for a few days but not for a honeymoon, IMO.

The Hilton Waikoloa is an awesome hotel on the Big Island and there are several restaurants and swimming pools within the complex, so there's no need to rent a car. There's a golf course and putt-putt course there and they also have the option to "swim with the dolphins" in their closed off lagoon.

That sounds awesome, but you forget that I don't have that dane McCloud type money lol.

DaneMcCloud
01-13-2011, 12:18 AM
That sounds awesome, but you forget that I don't have that dane McCloud type money lol.

I think they have packages where it's like $200 a night right now, depending on the time of year you visit.

Good luck, Pal and enjoy!

DrRyan
01-13-2011, 12:40 AM
I think they have packages where it's like $200 a night right now, depending on the time of year you visit.

Good luck, Pal and enjoy!

My wife and I were just in Maui for 11 days in October and I agree it may be "heaven on earth." If you are serious about doing Hawaii check out vrbo.com we stayed in two very nice condos for less than half the cost of hotel rooms in Wailea and Hana. We also stayed at the Sheraton Maui in Ka'anapali for several days and it was quite nice, but we both prefered the condos and there are some really good deals to be had if you look around.
Posted via Mobile Device

Psyko Tek
01-13-2011, 12:52 AM

shouldn't a bed and a bottle or two of run suffice?

hell call room service for food

crazycoffey
01-13-2011, 02:44 AM

did Maui for 5 days and right at 3 grand, did get a great deal on flights and hotel through a military friendly site, but still.... Hello - Maui - no passports - all english speaking staff.....

luv
01-13-2011, 02:46 AM
If I ever get married, I want to go to Victoria, BC. Or someplace cold, where we can get snowed in and build a fire.

Fritz88
01-13-2011, 04:50 AM
Not sure if this was mentioned. But South Padre would not be too bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

El Jefe
01-13-2011, 07:38 AM
did Maui for 5 days and right at 3 grand, did get a great deal on flights and hotel through a military friendly site, but still.... Hello - Maui - no passports - all english speaking staff.....

Hey brother, haven't seen you around in a minute, everything good in your neck of the woods?

Not sure if this was mentioned. But South Padre would not be too bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

South Padre eh? Don't know much about it, care to enlighten me?

Graystoke
01-13-2011, 07:43 AM
If I ever get married, I want to go to Victoria, BC. Or someplace cold, where we can get snowed in and build a fire.

I do that in Iowa all winter already! Giveme SUN & BEACHES! of course something like this is on my list.

http://sandcounty.com/SETH.HTM

El Jefe
01-13-2011, 10:01 AM
I do that in Iowa all winter already! Giveme SUN & BEACHES! of course something like this is on my list.

http://sandcounty.com/SETH.HTM

I agree with you, I get snowed in enough as it is. The fire is awesome until you run out of wood and have to go outside and get another load from the pile in 0 degree weather and 1 foot of snow.

kaplin42
01-13-2011, 10:43 AM

Dreams All Inclusive Resorts Puerto Vaillarta (http://www.dreamsresorts.com/drepv/)

I just went on my honeymoon in octorber. This place was paradise. All your drinks, and all your food are included, plus room service, plus the mini-bar in the room. You can go out into the city if you like, but why, when you would have to pay for stuff.

This place has its own private beach that is about 2 football fields long, that you can have drinks brought to you while you are hanging out on, 3 pools, 1 with a swim up bar. There are 5 resteraunts, everything from an awesome buffet to more formal dinning. Have I mentioned that all your booze and all your food is FREE!!!

Plus you can do excursions if you like. Scuba diving, fishing (people were catching 6ft mahi mahi all day every day, and the resort will cook it for you for free, anyway you like). We did a zip line excursion that was awesome, and then a quadrunner excursion that ended up with tequila tasting.

Telling you, check this out. On top of all this happiness, it fits really nicely into your budget. You will be very happy trying this out.

bevischief
01-13-2011, 10:49 AM
Dreams All Inclusive Resorts Puerto Vaillarta (http://www.dreamsresorts.com/drepv/)

I just went on my honeymoon in octorber. This place was paradise. All your drinks, and all your food are included, plus room service, plus the mini-bar in the room. You can go out into the city if you like, but why, when you would have to pay for stuff.

This place has its own private beach that is about 2 football fields long, that you can have drinks brought to you while you are hanging out on, 3 pools, 1 with a swim up bar. There are 5 resteraunts, everything from an awesome buffet to more formal dinning. Have I mentioned that all your booze and all your food is FREE!!!

Plus you can do excursions if you like. Scuba diving, fishing (people were catching 6ft mahi mahi all day every day, and the resort will cook it for you for free, anyway you like). We did a zip line excursion that was awesome, and then a quadrunner excursion that ended up with tequila tasting.

Telling you, check this out. On top of all this happiness, it fits really nicely into your budget. You will be very happy trying this out.

I got a quote for about $3860.

loochy
01-13-2011, 10:53 AM

I just got back from there tuesday and I didn't see any problems. In general, people seemed glad to have the tourists there.

Yeah, the actual city kind of sucks. The hotel strip reminds me of Vegas with a beach. We stayed at a resort 30 or so miles south and it was amazing.